Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

NB Petite Saison - taste?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by alysmith4, Apr 8, 2013.

1. alysmith4

Has anyone else brewed or tried the Northern Brewer Petite Saison? I'm trying to figure out what it "should" taste like, and/or if my batch is intentionally sour or somehow infected. There are a few people that posted feedback on the NB site, but I was trying to find a BA that's had it..

2. VikeMan

Beer Trader

I have never brewed it. But I just looked up the ingredients. There's nothing there that should really taste sour. Fruity yes, but not sour.

alysmith4 likes this.
  3. OddNotion

Beer Trader

I agree with Vike, nothing there that would really sour the beer. How sour are you talking? Very slightly tart may not be out of the realm of possibilities here but sour should not really be an issue. How long did it ferment for? Did you notice a pellicle at all? If you are not familiar with pellicles take a look here:
    http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/pellicle-photo-collection-174033/

alysmith4 likes this.
  4. alysmith4

Fermented for 5 weeks (bottled for 3). I didn't notice any pellicle, or anything similar. It's sour enough that a) I'm noticing b) I don't really want to drink it (and I actually like sours!) and c) it's giving me heartburn a bit :oops:.

The first batch I ever made (an IPA) was super sour, but I figured that's because I had no idea what I was doing and lacked the proper equipment to rack correctly (like I poured the beer through a funnel into the bottle, for example).

This is my second batch, and I'm frustrated that it's sour and that I may have made some of the same mistake(s) again. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm SUPER sanitary about the whole thing, which isn't too hard as I work in a microbiology lab all day and am used to that sort of thing. But I'm doing something wrong here evidentially..

5. OddNotion

Beer Trader

Hmmm this is odd... I have never had any beer go unintentionally sour on me. I would really have to see your process/taste the beer to figure out whats going on. When you say sanitary, do you mean you use starsan (or any other sanitizer) on everything post boil?

alysmith4 likes this.
  6. barfdiggs

Just curious are you using plastic or glass fermentation vessels, and are you using the same bottling bucket as your first batch?

Plastic can harbor bacteria, so if you're re-using the same plastic vessels that produced a sour IPA (Bottling bucket or fermenters), they may be responsible for your sour Saison. Its worth going and dropping a couple bucks on a couple new Homers Buckets and lids at Home Depot and a new plastic spigot or bottling bucket setup at your local homebrew store.

alysmith4 likes this.
  7. alysmith4

Yes, Starsan on everything post-boil.. bucket, strainer, yeast packet, scissors to cut yeast packet :rolleyes:, stirring spoon, etc. etc.

8. alysmith4

I am using plastic, but it's all new equipment since the first batch (that was a 1 gal kit I got as a gift).

9. barfdiggs

Crap. Did you taste it at all throughout the fermentation and bottling process? I guess I'm wondering where it might have went wrong, as at the moment, its kind of combinatorial explosion in terms different variables that could be to blame.

Do you remember the yeast strain, and also how much you used? (Hard to underpitch a 1.041 OG Saison; could you have accidentally purchased a Saison blend with brett/bugs in it?). Also, I've had/brewed Saisons that are so dry they almost taste tart and slightly acidic, what was the FG?

alysmith4 likes this.
  10. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

Brett shouldn't sour it up though. Did you use a racking cane with an autosiphon? I've found a lot of crap built up in the end of my autosiphon. Just a thought.

alysmith4 likes this.
  11. alysmith4

Thanks for all the help. Yes, I tasted it after fermentation (5 weeks), before sugar/bottling. I thought it was sour then too, but thought it might just taste "off" without carbonation (and sugar). Then I tasted after a week (still flat), after two (still flat), and now at three weeks with proper carbonation.

I used one smack-pack of the WY3711. FG: 1.042.

12. alysmith4

Yeah, I used the EZ autosiphon, but it was brand new.

13. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

I got nothing.

alysmith4 likes this.
  14. GreenKrusty101

Really? 1.042 FG? That's got to be a typo...Saisons should finish extremely low...~1.00X

alysmith4 likes this.
  15. epk

epk

Probably meant OG. Which is more or less on the money for NB's kit.

alysmith4 likes this.
  16. alysmith4

Hm..

17. epk

epk

No? This "Hm.." confuses and infuriates me.

EDIT: No, of course you meant OG.

EDIT EDIT: I was editing while you were replying.

18. alysmith4

Yeah, I did. Now I just can't remember FG. (That was the "hm" :))

19. Lagger

3711 has some funk, in a good way. Can be described as fruity ;)

5 weeks primary should be enough time. Give it more time in the bottle, at 3 weeks in maybe you're tasting just a young funky 3711. I personally like it, but to each their own!

alysmith4 likes this.
  20. zachary80

I brewed this a while ago and thought it was pretty good, nothing about it that seemed sour or funky or similar to an infection. Sorry I can't get more detailed, it has been a while since I've had one.

alysmith4 likes this.
  21. alysmith4

No need to be confused or infuriated. Instead, just skip to the next thread.

22. alysmith4

Found my notes.. FG was 1.042. I remember checking it like 3-4 times too, just to be sure. I could have made a mistake though. Don't have any notes on an OG though, and actually, I don't remember taking one. (Iirc, the hydrometer came with the extra bottles I ordered so I don't think I even had it on brew day.)

23. OddNotion

Beer Trader

If you made 5 gallons with that kit and your Final Gravity was 1.042, something went wrong with your yeast because the Original Gravity should have been right around that range. What temp did you pitch the yeast at? Did you verify in any way that the yeast was healthy?

alysmith4 likes this.
  24. VikeMan

Beer Trader

If so, that would mean there was basically no fermentation. Was there airlock activity at all?

Edit: just to be sure...you do know that FG is the gravity after fermentation is finished, right?

alysmith4 likes this.
  25. alysmith4

The wort was about 65* when I pitched the yeast. I don't know how to verify that it was healthy. It was a smack pack that I received cold and put in the 'fridge right away. About a week later, I used it. The package swelled to three times it's size (after "smacking") within about 2.5 hours. The only mistake I remember making, was leaving about 25 mLs of the yeast in the pack (I didn't realize I didn't pour it all in until later. I called NB and they said they thought it was fine.

26. alysmith4

There was a ton of activity in the airlock after about 12 hours, that lasted for the next 24 or so. After that, it was only a bubble every 30 seconds (like on day 3). Then nothing after that. I left it in the fermentor for 5 weeks. While racking it to a bottling bucket, I took out a sample and read the gravity. That's when I got 1.042.

Edit: Can I take another reading now? Not sure how carbonation effects things.

27. VikeMan

Beer Trader

Carbonation will change the reading. But you can pour a sample and de-gas it by swirling for a while, until it stops making bubbles.

alysmith4 likes this.
  28. epk

epk

I actually have no idea what effect carbonation has on a reading, but that doesn't mean you can't decarb a sample. Swirl or stir the sample up to get all the Co2 out and let it sit for a little bit. Repeat if needed.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Vikeman.

alysmith4 likes this.
  29. zachary80

From the minimal notes I took (memory no good- brewed in '11) on this batch I left it 6 weeks in the primary before bottling, so about the same as you. However I did use a different yeast, Wyeast 3538 Leuven Pale Ale, which means our flavors would be somewhat different anyway. My ingredients were about a week from shipment when I brewed, and temperatures look about the same too, although I raised mine during fermentation slightly.

If your gravity didn't drop due to a lack of fermentation, as others suspect, then the flavors you mention sound exactly like what I got from a failed starter. If it turns out your FG reading was off, maybe just give it some more time in the bottle before trying it again, although three weeks warm/ one week cold is my general bottling time.

alysmith4 likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe