nba playoffs bif

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by Crawfordesquire, Apr 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FishPondManager

FishPondManager Aspirant (251) Feb 28, 2012 Colorado

Whoops, missed that!

2. sliverX

sliverX Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2007 S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

I apologize to any actual fans of Orlando, they have done nothing but see a Dr. since I signed up.

3. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

I think it's harder to fill an NBA playoffs LIF because they're much less random than the NHL playoffs. Typically, the most talented teams win out, not necessarily just those who put forth the most effort.

Hopefully we'll get a few more to sign up, but I'm cool with rolling with who we've already got. Either way, it's going to be a great postseason!

4. FishPondManager

I feel like it's pretty wide open this year. Some of the heavy hitters are getting old, while younger teams could make a run. I'd bet that a lower seed wins an opening round series in each conference.

5. MarkIntihar

Yeah, I guess I was talking more about the 1/2 vs 7/8 match-ups. I know the Spurs got knocked off last year, but Memphis kinda threw the end of the season to specifically put themselves in the 8 spot cuz they liked the way they matched up with the Spurs. I dunno, should be interesting regardless!

6. kevanb

kevanb Poo-Bah (1,826) Apr 4, 2011 Illinois

Really surprised no one is taking the Hawks or Knicks, both are definitely capable of winning a series, even if the Knicks have to play the heat

7. Crawfordesquire

Crawfordesquire Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2011 North Carolina

Hawks will likely get the celtics who will be entering the court for pregame in their wheelchairs.
    I hope someone picks up utah, my likely first round matchup with the spurs. Utah would be a very tough 1s round matchup, just like memphis last year.

8. azdback

azdback Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2004 Arizona

Well my Suns just lost to the Jazz so I'm out. Good luck everyone.

9. IrishColonial

IrishColonial Champion (827) Mar 5, 2010 Texas

So playoffs start tomorrow. How are we gonna fill the rest of the teams? Hopefully we can get more signups tonight/tomorrow.

10. Crawfordesquire

As I said in the intro message, we don't really have to fill the rest of the teams, but hopefully a team without a ba member does not win it all, that would suck.
    With that being said, I hope more people join today/tomorrow. I will close this out to new signups tomorrow night.
    Correct me if im wrong, but we have 11 teams. the following teams are available for any new signups:
    Utah Jazz
    Denver Nuggets
    Philadelphia 76ers
    NY Knicks
    Atlanta Hawks

11. beckard13

beckard13 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2011 North Carolina

That is a brutal blow for you today.

12. MarkIntihar

Yep. Think we can still potentially beat the sixers. After that, all bets are off...

13. Auror

Auror Zealot (585) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts

At least they have experience playing without him this year. I'm bummed nobody took Atlanta though. They've even got home court advantage.

14. MarkIntihar

On the bright side, if they lose to the Sixers, I don't owe anybody beer :grinning:

15. IrishColonial

IrishColonial Champion (827) Mar 5, 2010 Texas

FishPond, do you still have the Nuggets? or are the Lakers taking down a non-BA backed punching bag in Round 1? :grinning:

16. MarkIntihar

Ya know, if Atlanta wins their series, and the Bulls win theirs, once again, I'd be off the hook for owing anybody beer! :grinning:

By the same token, if the Bulls proceeded to beat ATL and lose to Miami (let's all be honest with ourselves), I'd be on the hook for three times the beer without having won any myself :slight_frown:

17. sliverX

sliverX Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2007 S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

I'm really surprised this wasn't able to be filled up. You'd think with all the attention ESPN pays basketball, more people would be interested.

18. MarkIntihar

I feel like BA tends to attract more of the "underground" type folks, who scoff at "news" organizations like ESPN.

19. beckard13

Wake up to find the Grizz blew a 24 point lead with less than 8 mins left!! WTF!!

20. Crawfordesquire

Brady- thats the opposite of what they did in the playoffs last year, crazy.

21. Crawfordesquire

You would owe beer to the eventual winner, see my original post to open the thread.
    All losers who lose to a team without a ba member attached to it put up beer to be given to the eventual winner.

22. MarkIntihar

Apparently my reading comprehension needs work. :flushed:

So wait, if the Bulls win in the first round and lose in the second round to the Hawks, I would receive no beer for my first round victory and still owe beer to the eventual winner? Damn, that kinda sucks... :slight_frown:

Maybe something to look into for next year. I guess it's not likely to happen (because most teams will get picked up), but still worth thinking about.

23. Crawfordesquire

Markintihar- you are correct on both fronts, it is true, but would suck. At the time of starting this thread, it was hard for me to conceptualize that happening(an unpicked team, which would occur because they aren't great, beating a picked team not just in the first round, but also the 2nd)
    However, the bulls, even sans Rose, match up very well with ATL, and boston.

24. MarkIntihar

Yeah, I'm still hopeful :slight_smile:

And I definitely agree that it's a freak occurrence. As was DRose's ACL injury :slight_frown:

25. FishPondManager

I can't believe the Clippers came back! Wow, I turned it off after the third quarter and went to bed. Crazy.

26. beckard13

I unlike this post!

27. Auror

Auror Zealot (585) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts

Looking less and less likely that Boston and Chicago both win, which is the only scenario where someone other than the champion gets beer from that quadrant of the bracket before the conference finals (and good chance Celtics or Bulls win two rounds and their owner gets no beer to show for it).

28. MarkIntihar

Bulls will still win. They don't shoot that poorly 3 of the 5 remaining games. The second series though, that's anyone's guess.

29. Crawfordesquire

Bulls and celtics both still win out. Miami and san antonio in finals.

30. MarkIntihar

Damn, you may be right about SA. However, the Jazz are a sorry excuse for a playoff team with Devin Harris at PG. So for me, the jury is still out. I still think OKC had the edge, but time will tell.

31. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2011 Indiana

Pacers looked great tonight but I still at least see the heat in the finals

32. MarkIntihar

Only way I see the Heat going down before the finals is if the Bulls start shooting lights out again like they were at the end of the regular season, which, in the playoffs, is VERY unlikely... :angry:

33. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

Which Western Conference team do you feel has the best shot at taking down the Miami Heat?

34. Shagtastic

The Thunder

35. MarkIntihar

OKC. They are crazy athletic, and Durant is ridiculous.

Also, I know what you're trying to do :wink:

36. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

I agree, and if they continue to shoot so well from the foul line, they will be incredibly tough to beat. Though the Laker's inside presence and Kobe's experience could make for an interesting series. Your thoughts?

37. Crawfordesquire

Spurs have more all around scoring than okc, which is why they lost to dallas last year. Plus they are no longer a live by the three, die by the three team, which is (almost) what okc is.
    Lakers don't have the bench to compete with spurs, but bynum does scare me.

38. Shagtastic

I have a question, is beer going to be flowing before the finals are over or are we waiting until the championship to ship stuff?

39. Crawfordesquire

I say ship when your team is booted, but its up to everyone. Shag you have indy correct? So you won't have to be shipping soon :-)

40. MarkIntihar

I think the Lakers and Heat would be an interesting matchup, but I don't think the Lakers have enough to get there. They would have to beat both OKC and San Antonio, and I just don't see that happening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.