NBS BIF #16 Sign Up Thread

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by Roguer, Sep 11, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roguer

Roguer Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,233) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It's here. It's finally here. It's here, ladies and gentlemen!!!

NBS BIF #16 is now officially in the sign-up phase!

Before you ask to join, if you're a newcomer, consider the following:

*This is the BIF specifically and explicitly in support of the New Beer Weekend thread (hey, that's going on right now!). If you don't care to participate in that thread, then kindly stop reading here.
    *This is not a BIF for newbies. (There's another fantastic BIF for that, and I highly recommend it.)

Let's get right to it.

Important Dates:
    *Sign-ups are live from now until October 7th. That's almost a full month for sign-ups (and to close out the current round).
    *Hints & Hauls will go live on October 8th. That's when the chicanery truly begins!
    *Official share date is the weekend of November 11-13. That gives us over a month for shopping, shipping, porch bombing, and drinking before we even reach the official date. :slight_smile:

(Please don't ask for the official dates down thread. That makes it really f'n clear that you couldn't be bothered to read literally the second bolded paragraph in this post, which is a pretty good indication that you don't have any idea what the hell you're doing, and therefore probably should look elsewhere.)

Pairings will be sent within a couple days of the H&H thread going live. Please be patient if the pairings take longer than normal, as the BIF leadership is undergoing a bit of a transition. Please ensure that at least one box of beer reaches your target by the Thursday prior to the official share weekend (November 10th), including a mystery beer.

Wait, what's a mystery beer?

Rules:
    *You must send 96 ounces (or more) of new-to-your-target beer. Many (most) will send much, much more, but every member must be OK with receiving the minimum. There is no pressure to send more than the minimum.
    *You must send at least one Mystery Beer: a beer with the label concealed in such a way that your target does not know the beer (or, hopefully, style). The intent is that mystery beers are consumed and reviewed blind, but that's really all up to the recipient. You may send more than one beer so disguised. Custom labels are at your discretion.
    *You must send at least one local food item. We've seen some crazy stuff. It's really up to you. The intent is to give your target a taste of your local cuisine and culture, whether that's a full Taylor Ham, agricultural specialties, local coffee roasts, rare candies, or whatever you want.
    *You must sent at least one item of brewery "swag," be that glassware, a T-shirt, a hat, some stickers, coasters, or coozies, or something even more creative. The swag I've received over the years from this BIF are actually some of my favorite things.
    *You must drink at least one of your received beers on the official share weekend (unless you literally cannot). More on this under the etiquette section.
    *Finally, and most importantly: you must participate. All participants are expected to post at least two clues per week in the H&H thread (until your target correctly identifies you; you don't have to stop dropping clues at that point, but it kind of makes sense). If you don't plan on participating in the H&H thread, then don't plan on participating in this BIF, please.

Member Requirements:
    *You must have participated in a previous round of this BIF.

or

*You must be active in the New Beer Weekend thread and have a current member vouch for you. A positive trade record on BA is a plus, as is experience in a BIF, but not necessarily required. If you don't currently meet the NBW posting requirement, now's a great time to start to establish your track record!

Etiquette:
    *Communicate black out dates for shipping, as well as any absences from the H&H thread (a week or more). It's totally OK to miss time from the thread (life is more important than beer!), but it's no fun if you're a sender whose target has suddenly ghosted the thread.
    *Play the damn game. The H&H thread can be more fun than shipping and receiving the beer itself. Please play along and at least try to guess your sender. Some of us nerds will have full spreadsheets and try to guess every single pair, not just our own sender. Hell, I've been known to set some drunk pairings, so even I get to play along some rounds. :stuck_out_tongue: Most importantly, though, a lot of our participants put a lot of time and effort into their clues, and it's crushing to have a target who doesn't put forth any effort whatsoever.
    *Lying in your clues is allowed. I personally prefer leaving some kind of trail or later clue to identify which clue or clues is/are false, but that's really up to you.
    *Deception (as opposed to outright lies) is not only allowed: it's encouraged. Ask @snaotheus sometime about being misled about multiple potential senders. :wink:
    *If someone calls you out as his or her sender, it's polite to answer whether they are correct or not.
    *Explaining your hints after you've been called out isn't required, but it can be fun.
    *Save some beer for the official share weekend, and try to drink as much of your spoils during the NBW thread (that's the point of the thread, after all). Naturally, with the quantity of beer changing hands (and freshness concerns for IPAs, in particular), quite a bit of beer will be consumed outside of the NBW thread. It's polite to tag your sender (in WBAYDN? and/or in the H&H thread), and most of us will drop a review or at least some quick thoughts over in the H&H thread.

OK, that's a lot, and yet I feel I'm still missing something. @FBarber ? @2beerdogs ? @BBThunderbolt ?

Hey, y'all, get in here! Sign up! It's NBS BIF #16 time, MFers!!!!!

MacMalt, FBarber, superspak and 12 others like this.
  2. Roguer

Am I in Georgia? Florida? Connecticut? Maine? Whatever, regardless, I'm in! :stuck_out_tongue:

MacMalt, superspak, woemad and 10 others like this.
  3. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Grand Pooh-Bah (5,713) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Dude, sign me up!! I'm shipping west (eventually or sooner).

MacMalt, superspak, woemad and 11 others like this.
  4. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,210) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Whelp. I've really slowed down on ticking in general, and reviewing particularly (haven't reviewed a beer since late-May early June), so I'm undecided. Let do me a heckin' contemplate for a few days.

5. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,978) Aug 17, 2013 California

We all know how this ends….

6. BBThunderbolt

Pooh-Bah Trader

Probably. But I'm not sure how fair it would be, not having posted on NBS for quite some while now.

MacMalt, superspak, woemad and 9 others like this.
  7. Whyteboar

Whyteboar Pooh-Bah (2,398) Jun 7, 2008 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Already? Well, nothing for it, better sign me up. Let the madness begin!

8. Beersnake1

I will likely be heading to Germany, Belgium, and Southern Africa until the last week in October so, if I participate, my target should expect a mixture of foreign and domestic beer. How many of you have reviewed beers from Africa?

MacMalt, superspak, woemad and 13 others like this.
  9. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Grand Pooh-Bah (5,713) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Trader

I'm game (or is it just gamey)! So far I've only scored Kenya.

MacMalt, woemad, Whyteboar and 11 others like this.
  10. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Grand Pooh-Bah (4,234) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Under consideration

@Roguer , can you share the official dates?

[​IMG]

….WunderLlama ducks as Roguer prepares to hurl a room temperature bomber of barrel aged imperial kettle fruited sour blended with Himalayan kolsch blended with rum soaked stout blended Belgian adjunct millet syrup at his noggin…

MacMalt, superspak, woemad and 13 others like this.
  11. Roguer

I appreciate you. :stuck_out_tongue:

MacMalt, woemad, Whyteboar and 9 others like this.
  12. Roy_Hobbs

Roy_Hobbs Pooh-Bah (2,177) Jan 21, 2017 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm in. Let's do this!
    [​IMG]

13. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,179) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Trader

I've been slacking lately in NBS, August was so damn busy for me with the running my booth at the county fair, and my vacation to Montana later that month. I'm back there today. I haven't participated in a BIF this year, but, I looked at my finances, and can join this one. I am in!.

MacMalt, superspak, woemad and 14 others like this.
  14. kemoarps

kemoarps Pooh-Bah (2,848) Apr 30, 2008 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Hey, folks. Mind if I come play with y'all?
    Does it count as experience if the initiator of this round was your sender way back in BIF #1?

MacMalt, woemad, Whyteboar and 12 others like this.
  15. BBThunderbolt

Pooh-Bah Trader

Fuuuck, 8 years already?

16. kemoarps

Pooh-Bah Trader

Just about.

MacMalt, woemad, Whyteboar and 8 others like this.
  17. foundersasap

foundersasap Maven (1,381) Feb 2, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Haven’t been active lately on the thread as I bought a new motorcycle that has been taking me to other forums although I’m not drinking any less and that’s good. This beer was in my cellar from a few rounds ago from @JBowenGeorgia and held up well. I’d like to join this round if approved. Glass courtesy of @2beerdogs !
    [​IMG]

MacMalt, superspak, woemad and 12 others like this.
  18. snaotheus

snaotheus Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,308) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]

MacMalt, superspak, woemad and 12 others like this.
  19. FBarber

FBarber Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,989) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois

Niiiiice

20. beergoot

beergoot Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,589) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

...I've had one beer from Kenya...Tusker...

MacMalt, woemad, Whyteboar and 7 others like this.
  21. FBarber

It is with great sadness that I must pass on participating in NBS BIF #16. We are deep in the throes of buying a house (we put an offer in last night), and I just can't do it this go 'round for multiple reasons - not least of which is if any beer showed up at my house while we are moving my wife would murder me. Hoping to jump back in come spring time.

MacMalt, superspak, woemad and 14 others like this.
  22. Beersnake1

Congrats on the upcoming move!! That's a big deal! You will be missed this round!

23. FBarber

24. beergoot

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

...what the hey, it's only beer...I'm in...

25. Beersnake1

Haha! What can I say, I like everything!

26. FBarber

Thanks!

Really hoping we get this house - Im sick of driving all over looking at houses every few days. :sob::laughing:

27. Beersnake1

I have not had anything from Kenya. From my experiences, it doesn't seem like beers get exported from one African country to another very often. I mainly go to Namibia, where the beer options are dominated by Namibian breweries along with German breweries. It's basically a German country (second language), so it makes sense. I will definitely send along some Namibian beers, some of which are pretty darn good German style beers.

28. Beersnake1

[​IMG]

MacMalt, superspak, woemad and 8 others like this.
  29. beergoot

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

...congrats on getting a new house...

30. BBThunderbolt

Pooh-Bah Trader

I thought I had ticked Africa, but, turns out Jordan is the closest. I woulda swore I had Tunisia, but.....

31. BBThunderbolt

Pooh-Bah Trader

Bullshit!

I strongly suspect that you are buying a used house. Buying a used house is no excuse.

32. BBThunderbolt

Pooh-Bah Trader

Is Tusker made in different places? I swear I've had that.

33. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Grand Pooh-Bah (4,626) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I think you covered it. Except one thing: I’m 2 pages in… What are the dates? :wink: I kid, I kid.
    But seriously, it is key to understand the expectations for participation as laid out. And as @Roguer stated, if life throws a curve ball into the mix, communicate with us. All is good with communication.

34. 2beerdogs

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Few days?!? I figured you’d tease us with a few minutes.

35. 2beerdogs

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Oh
    Hell
    Yes!!!!!!

36. 2beerdogs

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Totally understand, Frank. But we expect you to bring your friggin A-game as a lurker extraordinaire.

37. kemoarps

Pooh-Bah Trader

I've had a couple! One of my best friends and I traveled through South Africa a few years ago, and brewery tasting was a not insignificant component of that trip(he has some training himself in brewing, and still dreams of opening his own brewery). Hell, he moved back down there and is now married with a kid!! I think I still have at least one or two ZA brews in my 'cellar'...

We're just excited that y'all should be moving into a new home soon!! You'll have to send us the address so we can google maps lurk you... and not for any other nefarious, ninja-box related purposes, no-siree-bob, nothing like that. Wouldn't want to upset the missus and that.

MacMalt, woemad, JayORear and 11 others like this.
  38. beergoot

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

...I really don't know about that...a quick internet search didn't come up with it being contract brewed anywhere else in the world, but I didn't spend much time combing through all the info...

MacMalt, woemad, JayORear and 7 others like this.
  39. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Grand Pooh-Bah (3,446) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

So if I understand correctly, boxes filled with bottles for the cellar are ok? You can un-box, take a picture and then repack for the movers.

#39 Coronaeus, Sep 12, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    MacMalt, woemad, JayORear and 10 others like this.
  40. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Grand Pooh-Bah (3,446) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Im on the fence, assuming there is a volunteer to send north. I spent a few hours last week looking over the cellar, and it really has gotten to be unmanageable. It took me 15 minutes of moving bottles and boxes of beer to reach a box of baby toys my wife had offered a friend. Then I had to put them all back….

Once @Roguer finally provides us with the dates, I’ll make a decision (assuming again there is a volunteer). (Note to prospective volunteers: sadly, in the last round - and for the first time since I started trading and BIFFING back in ‘14 - one of @2beerdogs boxes to me was seized by customs. As I told him, and always say, I am comfortable taking the loss with no need to resend. That said, I can understand not wanting that to happen on your end. So please don’t anyone feel compelled to volunteer. I’m just as happy sitting on the side and sending out a few surprise or LIF boxes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.