NC Rare & Vintage Beer Tasting 2018

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Lyke2Drink, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyke2Drink

Lyke2Drink Initiate (113) Nov 2, 2009 North Carolina

Tickets for the NC Rare & Vintage Beer Tasting go on sale Nov. 18 at 9 a.m.

The event will be at the Historic Durham Athletic Park on Jan. 27. The tentative list of breweries can be found here: http://www.ncrarebeer.com/#breweries

lateralusbeer likes this.
  2. lateralusbeer

lateralusbeer Zealot (508) Feb 7, 2010 North Carolina
    Society Trader

ALWAYS worth it. One of the best days of the year in NC beer.

3. cmmatt

cmmatt Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2011 North Carolina

... provided they fix all the missteps from last year

c64person likes this.
  4. Lyke2Drink

VIP Imperial Tickets are sold out and a limited number of General Admission tickets remain for Jan. 27th event. Here is a link to the preliminary beer list for this year's event in Durham: https://www.ncrarebeer.com/beers

5. Macsimus

Macsimus Initiate (183) Feb 19, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

Are all the beers listed in your link available to drink with a General admission ticket?

I would assume there are more beers that are not on the list that are VIP only - right?

Thx!

6. treznor

treznor Zealot (558) Dec 20, 2006 North Carolina
    Trader

If they do it like past Pints for Prostates events that I've been to, the beers listed are the ones that are available. All beers will be available at the start of the VIP session. Some beer will likely run out during the VIP session and some other will run out early in the GA session. But it usually is only 1 or 2 beers. I've done multiple years of Rare Beer in Denver and a couple years of Asheville Funk back when it was a Pints for Prostates event and that's how they all were. Don't think I've ever seen more than a couple beers run out during VIP.

7. plutoniumpete

plutoniumpete Initiate (193) Oct 21, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

curious as to what they were? just moved here and contemplating spending the money for this.

8. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,896) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

plutoniumpete likes this.
  9. c64person

c64person Devotee (417) Mar 20, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

I don't plan on going, but there are definitely a couple hidden gems being poured on the list.

Andy311x likes this.
  10. Macsimus

Trader

Yes and shhhhhhhhhhhhh

11. cmmatt

That was me who posted that last year ... I'm giving this event one last shot. Was great to see they listened and hopefully everything will be set to how it was/what they're saying.

However, in the last day, I have noticed several beers being taken off the website list from what they have been advertising/announcing and I sincerely hope that's not the case. LyketoDrink, can you speak to this?

12. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,896) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Just trying to help @plutoniumpete and others remember what some of the issues were.

@LyketoDrink Any idea if this is the case of breweries that had not fully committed being removed? Changes due to ABC/label approval not occurring in time? Breweries changing their mind about what they are bringing? Etc?

13. cmmatt

All breweries still there (which is a plus from last year's shenanigans), but they have been announcing beers on social media throughout the month, which I'm sure has helped sales for those on the fence by seeing what is coming. But on the actual website with the beer list, some of those have mysteriously disappeared.

For instance, Funky Buddha was announced to bring Maple Bacon and Last Buffalo on social posts, but website now lists just Last Buffalo. And they literally just announced Haw River's beers like two days ago, and now one is missing (so can't use label approval excuse there, esp. bc I literally had said beer at another local festival recently).

I hope just maybe the website got messed up. I've counted at least six beers that previously were announced that were not coming. Festival said breweries could change, but nothing about the beers. If you're unsure, probably good not to just post anything.

We'll see how this pans out ...

14. abb610

abb610 Aspirant (253) Oct 14, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

I intercepted the Medianoche and took it to the face so don't be surprised when it gets taken off later.

cmmatt likes this.
  15. KRubes

KRubes Zealot (525) Sep 7, 2014 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Correcting the handle so he can see it. @Lyke2Drink ^^^

dbrauneis likes this.
  16. Tarheel4985

Tarheel4985 Initiate (99) Sep 14, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

I believe there were some issues with beers not showing up on the website, even after they had been added. But in our case (WeldWerks), we are still sending all four beers even though only three were listed on the website (and I believe ours have since been fixed on the website).

Anyway, we're looking forward to our first time pouring at the event, and the first time sending our beers to North Carolina. It's been 10 years since I moved to Colorado from North Carolina, and it's always fun heading back to the Old North State to visit. This will be an especially fun trip for me since I still have a lot of friends from high school and college in the Triangle area that have never tried our beers.

We're also working with Harris for a very limited drop of 4-packs and kegs, most likely hitting distro the week leading up to the event. So keep an eye out for some fun WeldWerks 4-packs and draft releases hitting Durham pretty soon. And if you're headed to the festival, be sure to stop by and say hi, as my wife and I will be pouring at the WeldWerks booth..

Tony_D, twhite8390, Andy311x and 4 others like this.
  17. Macsimus

Trader

@Tarheel4985 - looking forward to seeing you and trying your beers at the event. Can you share what spots will be getting some of your beers in Durham in the week leading up to the event?

I was introduced to your beer when visiting a friend in Boulder last February - great stuff!!!

Thx!

18. cmmatt

@Tarheel4985 thanks for clearing it up. Hopefully that's the case ... and let me tell you, I will be the first at y'alls booth. Thanks for bringing the heat, can't wait to try!

19. Tarheel4985

Trader

I’m not sure which spots will end up with our beers yet, but as soon as I find out I’ll be sure to share that info here.

20. Macsimus

Trader

@Tarheel4985 - appreciate the update. In regards to the event will you guys have enough of all four beers to have them pouring at 3PM when the General session starts - think the VIP starts at 2PM - so only need to make it through one hour. Thx again!

21. cmmatt

anyone interested in doing a bottle share the night before? Beer Study had one last year but as just informed they're not doing it this year. Would just need a space, but can probably figure logistics - or if anyone has any ideas of where to do it, lmk

22. Tarheel4985

Trader

We are sending a full sixtel of each beer (4 total), so we will definitely have beer available for the start of GA.

23. c2mcclel

c2mcclel Initiate (0) Aug 22, 2012 North Carolina

I really enjoyed the event during the past two years, but miss out on a few beers I hope to try because I didn't get the VIP pass. I just can't justify the price tag, but if you haven't been to one before, it's well worth it.

24. KRubes

Society Trader

The Glass Jug posted an event for the 26th.

Andy311x likes this.
  25. Lyke2Drink

Here is the current provisional list based on the most recent information from the folks at Tyler's who have been wrangling the beer and ciders for the event. There are a very limited number of tickets remaining for Saturday's NC Rare & Vintage Beer Tasting. www.ncrarebeer.com

1323 R&D

Citra Mosaic IPA, The Remix DIPA

Alesmith Brewing Company

Bourbon Barrel Aged Vietnamese Coffee Speedway Stout

Allagash Brewing Company

Ghoulschip

Alpine Beer Company

Double Dry-Hopped Duet

Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Sour bbl Aged Cherry-Infused Brown Ale

Appalachian Mountain Brewery

Drop It Like It’s Hop IPA, Save the Drama Imperial White Stout

Ardent Craft Ales

Winter American Sour Blend, Bourbon Barrel Aged Power – A Barrel aged dark strong ale – Collab with De Struise Brouwers.

Artifex Brewing Company

Mo’ Oats Mo’ Problems, Cone Slap, Trigger Finger IPA

Ballast Point

Brandy BBL Aged Navigator, Bourbon BBL Aged Piper Down

Bear Republic Brewing Company

Booster Rocket, Sangiovese Kolsch

Bell's Brewery

Raspberry Ale, Whiskey Barrel Aged Cherry Stout

Bond Brothers Beer Company

Imperial Stout with some sort of pastry style addition, Sour beer preview for the coming year

Boulevard Brewing Company

Cabernet Cask Imperial Stout

Brewery Ommegang

Candi Stout

Captain Lawrence Brewing Company

Powder Dreams, Cuvee de Castleton

Cigar City Brewing

Margarita Gose

Coronado Brewing Company

2016 BA Stupid Stout, North Island New England Style IPA

Crank Arm Brewing Company

Brett Saison Blood Orange, Brett Saison 2X Cherry, Darker Ways

Cushwa Brewing Company

Rambo, Dank Pursuit

D9 Brewing Company

Counter Culture Wild Sour Ale

Dechutes Brewing

2015 Dissident

Deep River Brewing Company

Collaboration Without Representation

DESTIHL Brewery

Anitquity Rye Wine, Metallurgy Grape

Dogfish Head Craft Brewed Ales

Puddin’ Wine

Durty Bull Brewing Company

Room For More, Bourbon Barrel-Aged The Law

Ecliptic Brewing

Blood of Jupiter, Barrel-Aged Carina Peach Sour Ale with Brett

Foothills Brewing

Craft Happiness Aware IPA: Cashmere and Mosaic Hops , 2016 Dead and Berried: Blackberry Barrel Aged Imperial Stout aged in W.L. Weller Barrels

Firestone Walker

Helldorado, Sour Opal

Fullsteam Brewery

Farmhouse Ale brewed with NC Wheat and aged in barrels with a house mixed culture , Black Saison brewed with NC Barley & Sorghum and conditioned with Mangos

Funky Budha Brewery

Maple Bacon Coffee Porter, Last Buffalo in the Park

Green Flash Brewing Company

Cellar 3 Blanc Tart Barrique

Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

Tropication, 2017 Ruse

Haw River Farmhouse Ales

2017 Bodhi Loves Chachi , "Ferrero Rocher" Imperial Stout

Headlands Brewing Company

Double Bowknot Imperial Stout

Hi-Wire Brewing

Tart Cherry Brett Saison

Highland Brewing Company

Orange Chocolate Stout from Pilot Room

Holy City Brewing

Peach Pit, 2017 New Year's Resolution Dopplebock

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

2015 / 2016 / 2017 Noel de Calabaza Vertical

Lagunitas Brewing Company

High West-ified Cafe Con Leche, WTFarmhouse

Mikkeller San Diego

Bourbon Barrel Aged Beer Geek Cocoa Shake, Creme Supreme (Horus Ales Collab), Murker Inc NE Style IPL w/Galaxy Hops, Supah Sik Spells IPA, Floccy Balboa West Coast Style Triple IPA

New Belgium

Black Berry Oskar, Single Foeder Felix #61

New Holland Brewing

2015 Blue Sunday Barrel Aged Sour, 2016 Incorrigible White Sour, 2016 Incorrigible Reserve White Sour with Berries

O'Connor Brewing Company

Berliner-NICE, SnaX

Olde Hickory

Smoked Porter, IPA brewed with Sour sop and Tangerines

Oskar Blues Brewery

Interstate Smash Express

Ponysaurus Brewing

Reserve Ale 2016, Oyster Saison

Port City Brewing

Rye Barrel Aged Colossal Six, Integral IPA

Quest Brewing Company

Belgian Triple, Flemish Cassis Sour

Resident Culture Brewing & Blending

TBD

Salud Cerveceria

Safety Nap, Tropical Ponche, Füd’r Salud, El Colmado: Chinola, The Ocho (Red Wine)

Saranac Brewery

Parhelia, Darker Reward, Late Wizard

Sierra Nevada Brewing Company

Boubon Barrel-Aged Spiced Quad, 2010 Bigfoot

Southern Pines Brewing Company

BBA Breakfast German Chocolate Cake Stout

Southern Tier Brewing Company

2015 Mokah, Barrel Works Series: Sapsquatch , Belgian Sleeper

Stone Brewing

Fyodor - 2016 Imperial Russian Stout aged in Bourbon Barrels

Terrapin Beer Company

Abbey Noir

Trophy Brewing Company

Trophy Golden Sour, Brett Farmhouse, Lord Stanley, El Hombre

Victory Brewing Company

Braumeister Pilsner Rotation, Tart Ten

Weldwerks Brewing

Single Barrel S'mores Medianoche, Cherry Truffle Medianoche, Citra DDH Juicy Bits, Coffee Maple Achromatic

Wicked Weed Brewing

Red Atrial, Dark Arts Expresso, Serenity Gold Cap, Nectarphilia

Wilmington Brewing Company

Lemur Party Milkshake Double IPA brewed with mangoes, Face Bidet Imperial New England Style IPA with Soursop and Tangerine

Upland Brewing Company

Teddy Bear Kisses Imperial Stout aged in Bourbon Barrels, Luminary Wild Ale

JK's Scrumpy

TBD

Angry Orchard

Edu, Newtown Pippen

Honeygirl Meadery

Apple Cyser, Wildwood Mead

Stem Ciders

TBD

GoodRoad Ciderworks

Cranberry Crossroads Cider, Avogardro's Trail Mead

26. treznor

Trader

A good list. I'd be shocked if Red Atrial (even given the ABI hate) and half the WeldWerks stuff makes it past VIP unless they specifically hold some back.

27. Lyke2Drink

Just a reminder that Pints for Prostates and our friends at the Prostate Conditions Education Council will be offering a free men's health screening event on Saturday from Noon to 3 p.m. outside of the gates of the NC Rare & Vintage Beer Tasting. This quick blood test is free and open to the public. It is a $700 value and screens for PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen), glucose, cholesterol and testosterone. Please consider having a friend hold your space in line for five minutes, roll up your sleeve and take charge of your health.

fehrminator likes this.
  28. KRubes

Society Trader

Macsimus and treznor like this.
  29. Kingfred

Kingfred Initiate (44) Jan 6, 2016 North Carolina
    Trader

So, how was the event? I'm surprised to see no feedback.

30. CavemanRamblin

CavemanRamblin Crusader (740) Jun 19, 2014 North Carolina

Any Weldwerks stuff still on tap anywhere?

31. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Disciple (305) May 24, 2006 North Carolina

This was my first time at the event but I thought it was pretty excellent overall. Weldwerks was awesome! I would have actually appreciated a little less bourbon barrel aged and sour options but that is just being nitpicky. Only event I have been too that came close had been Brewvival (R.I.P.)

Lyke2Drink and Kingfred like this.
  32. JohnnyK

Almost forgot, favorites included :

Vietnamese Speedway (Alesmith)
    Rambo (Cushwa)
    Last Buffalo in the Park (Funky Buddha)
    High West-ified Cafe Con Leche (Lagunitas)
    Everything from Weldwerks

Kingfred likes this.
  33. Lyke2Drink

You must have been shocked, right?

34. Andy311x

Andy311x Initiate (47) Apr 28, 2008 North Carolina

I just had the last pour at Sam's Quik Shop of the Blueberry Pie Berliner, but they still had Mexican Achromatic

VABA and CavemanRamblin like this.
  35. wedge

wedge Poo-Bah (3,455) Jan 13, 2004 North Carolina
    Society

Looks like Beer Study Durham still has Blueberry Pie and Coffee Maple Achromatic on. The latter was a bit too much like drinking maple syrup for me, but I thought the Berliner was pretty delicious. Pricey pours though...

CavemanRamblin likes this.
  36. CavemanRamblin

CavemanRamblin Crusader (740) Jun 19, 2014 North Carolina

Cool thanks! Sounds like the ipa’s are pretty much kicked everywhere though? That’s mainly what I was after.

37. cmmatt

Since I was an original poster of suspicion, wanted to do right by the festival as they fixed all the problems from last year. Everyone scheduled to show up did so, plentiful food - basically all that was promised on the event summary/ticket occurred. Fantastic beer as well, of course Weldwerks was the major attraction but there were some other superb ones as well. Nothing ran out by the time GA came in; in fact I believe only a few kicked early (DFH Puddin Wine, Weldwerks Smores Medianoche and WW Red Atrial - though that was just bottles they had).

NC Rare is definitely back on track, cheers to the organizers for listening and correcting. High recommendation moving forward.

Andy311x likes this.
  38. treznor

Trader

I actually didn't make it unfortunately. Really glad to hear though that Red Atrial made it through VIP. I'm not sure if that says something about general WW apathy or the number of bottles brought or people thought there was better stuff to get, but Red Atrial is probably the beer on the list that I would have been most interested in.

I haven't been to one of these, but I've been to 4 Denver Rare Beer Tasting and 2 Asheville Funk's when they were PfP events and usually there's maybe 1-2 beers that run out during VIP. That's not a knock, it's incredibly difficult to keep absolutely everything through the whole VIP session. I've really enjoyed every PfP event I've been to.

39. JohnnyK

Red Atrial wasn't made available till 2 hours in which definitely helped. There only seemed to be a VERY small handful of beers being held back for later in the event.

40. wedge

wedge Poo-Bah (3,455) Jan 13, 2004 North Carolina
    Society

Yeah, I would imagine so. Luckily I snagged a couple cans of the hoppy stuff because I wasn't about to spend $12 on a draft pour or whatever absurd price they were charging (though the 4-pack was also expensive at damn near $30, but I couldn't resist).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.