NC's Best Drinking IPAs/ DIPAs

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by KRubes, Jan 25, 2016.

1. kbuzz

kbuzz Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2011 North Carolina

Looks like they just tapped a beer called Lower Haight that they are describing as a hazy IPA. Is that the first time they've put that one on?

thanks for the recs

2. dogleg_left

dogleg_left Initiate (0) May 12, 2016 North Carolina

Just tapped.

3. dingalls8

dingalls8 Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2014 Virginia

Hey all! Been browsing this thread and was curious about two things as I'll be driving down from the DC area on Thursday to Durham, hanging out in Durham Friday, and then driving back to Asheville from Augusta on Sunday. I think I have a pretty good idea of which breweries to hit at least in Asheville, but is there anything I should definitely seek out or places I need to hit on the trip? Thanks for your help!

4. OldManMetal

OldManMetal Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2015 North Carolina

kbuzz likes this.
  5. brendan3863

brendan3863 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2012 Washington

Durham recommendations:
    Bottle Shops/Beer Bars: Sam's Quik Stop, Beer Study Durham
    Breweries: Ponysaurus, Fullsteam

If you want to venture a bit further, I'd recommend OG Beer Study in Chapel Hill and Steel String Brewery in Carrboro. And if you want to go further than that, Haw River Ales in Saxapahaw

6. gtatk

gtatk Initiate (0) May 4, 2015 North Carolina

Is High Branch normally doing Crowlers? Driving through this weekend

Thanks.

7. nas4atu

nas4atu Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2011 North Carolina

I believe they only do growlers, and they'll have it on the tap list what's available for growlers. Otherwise they sometimes have cans available to go (they're basically prefilled crowlers, I think they are like 25.4 oz cans). Just keep an eye out on Facebook, as they're usually really good about announcing what's available in cans.

abb610 and gtatk like this.
  8. djgustafson

djgustafson Disciple (315) Jul 25, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Stopped into High Branch today for the first time. They are doing 32 oz growlers of most beers and also had a few 25 oz cans of McGill Street left. Their beers are excellent! I was especially impressed with McGill Street and the Ninja Slippers with BA coffee. Can't wait for my next visit.

ben4unc and wolfeman007 like this.
  9. wolfeman007

wolfeman007 Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2007 North Carolina

i was there today (first time) and grabbed a couple McGills Cans $8 and a 32 growler of DDH Pounder for $10 which was excellent. He did say that they will fill a outside growler...bring plenty!

ben4unc and nas4atu like this.
  10. ASUBeer

ASUBeer Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2011 North Carolina

The most recent batch of Cloud Surfer was undrinkable to me and a drain pour. It wasn't even reminiscent of previous batches. Trophy is one of the most inconsistent breweries I can think of. I'm pretty much done with that.

Assclown's Imperial IPA is fantastic. One of the better double IPAs in the state.

TheRougeBastard likes this.
  11. kbuzz

This is an understatement. Shit is fire.

Would put it up against Heist's stuff in a heartbeat.

12. CavemanRamblin

CavemanRamblin Initiate (0) Jun 19, 2014 North Carolina
    Deactivated

Enjoyed both Trophy's "Outta This Citra" and Bond Brothers "Long Story" this weekend, both 8%ers. Very different but both solid brews.

Sounds like a Wilmington trip is in order! Been wanting to check out the amphitheater there, shoulda gone to the Greensky show.

ocl1536, NCbeer and kbuzz like this.
  13. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

Won't lie- the newest batch of burials gang of blades is so dang juicy and good.

One of the best batches I think!

ben4unc, wolfeman007 and kbuzz like this.
  14. dogleg_left

dogleg_left Initiate (0) May 12, 2016 North Carolina

WBC and New Anthem are running ahead of Heist right now in the best of NC hops battle for me. I have to give WBC the race right now by a nose, statewide. And Iput them in the conversation with Veil. It's good to be spoiled. I think Burial took a step back with their latest Gang of Blades release, but their Ceremonial series continues to impress. It's good to be spoiled by solid local craft.

15. kbuzz

What's the date on this...do you remember?

16. Colbyamoss

Colbyamoss Initiate (23) Oct 21, 2014 District of Columbia

I was visiting family south of Wilmington and made a trip to WBC and New Anthem. Kitten Biscuits from WBC was amazing, and Neon God from New Anthem was great too. Also sampled All the Cool Kids are Doing it, and thought it was good, but not a standout.

Since I had the foresight to bring down some fresh Singlecut cans we were able to try them side by side to a crowler of Kitten Biscuits the next day.

Rankings among everyone went #1 Singlecut Weird & Gilly (canned 5/17), #2 WBC Kitten Biscuits, #3 Singlecut DDH Workers Go Home (canned early may), #4 Singlecut Billy 18 Watt(canned 5/17).

If we got to compare them directly I would say Neon God would slot in between DDH Workers Go Home and Billy 18 Watt.

I was very surprised by what is coming out of Wilmington.

Andy311x, Macsimus and kbuzz like this.
  17. Slowdive

Slowdive Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2015 North Carolina

I haven't noticed much variation in Gang of Blades personally, but this canning is definitely something to pick up. The date is 5/25. The yeast makes it so juicy tasting

FATC1TY likes this.
  18. kbuzz

Drinking one right now. First time I've had it. I'm not very impressed at all. I like surf wax quite a bit better than this. Something in here that doesn't quite work for me.

EDIT: just realized it's fermented with wild yeast. That must be it. Not a fan.

#978 kbuzz, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  19. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

5-25 or 5-26

ben4unc and kbuzz like this.
  20. CavemanRamblin

Deactivated

Tried both Kitten Biscuits and Cool Kids the other night with a buddy who had brought back some crowlers. Really liked both, but at 5% or so Cool Kids was the one that really stood out. Hope more Wilmington stuff (and New Anthem for that matter) makes its way to the Triangle soon.

TomDRaleigh likes this.
  21. HopAttack3

HopAttack3 Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2011 Virginia

High branch at Heist this past Wednesday for a collab, dipa, oh my...gonna need a crowler of that in my life. High branch is very good, pounder was awesome for a pale, and take the boys also damn good.

Late to the party on too'quenchl, better than citraquenchl and blurred is the word, yea I said it. Crowler was almost a month old and was so fucking good.

kbuzz likes this.
  22. kbuzz

Sipping on the new batch of citraquench'l right now. Pure brilliance.

wolfeman007, Macsimus and HopAttack3 like this.
  23. KRubes

KRubes Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2014 North Carolina
    Society

Surprised to hear no one mention Bond Brothers Long Story yet. A shade above Long Stride IMO. Great mouthfeel. All Citra and Mosaic.

And this batch of Gang of Blades is fire. Burial honing it in.

24. Macsimus

Macsimus Initiate (169) Feb 19, 2014 North Carolina

Long Story is another great IPA for the Brothers Bond!!

Now if they could only get their Crowler availability problem fixed : )

25. CavemanRamblin

Deactivated

Agree on both counts, they never have crowlers available of the beer I want and sometimes none of any beers at all. Have even had them give conflicting availability info over the phone and in person when I got there.

kbuzz likes this.
  26. Crim122

Crim122 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

How do releases at High Branch go? I see they're releasing Pounder on Friday. I was going to stop there regardless due to Iron Maiden at PNC.

kbuzz and ShabamJenkins like this.
  27. nas4atu

nas4atu Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2011 North Carolina

In the past, their releases haven't been too crazy. Amazingly, they are still flying somewhat under the radar (thankfully for selfish reasons, haha), so not a TON of people show up, with their cans typically remaining through the weekend (if not a little longer) if released on a Friday. This is definitely not always the case though. They also typically limit it to 2 cans or so of each beer released per person. Just find them on Facebook and they do an excellent job of updating can limits and such.

wolfeman007 and Crim122 like this.
  28. Crim122

Had a Gang of Blades last night, was surprised to find a few four packs left on Saturday. It was very good, excited for another tonight.

29. wedge

wedge Poo-Bah (3,479) Jan 13, 2004 North Carolina
    Society

Super fresh cans of All the Cool Kids... landed in at least a couple of places around the triangle today (Ridgewood + Beer Study Durham). Excited to try it tomorrow.

Also Booneshine cans of IPA and Tropicale at Beer Study. Haven't had either, but I had a Palate Painter on tap that was pretty tasty.

kingkong and Crim122 like this.
  30. TomDRaleigh

TomDRaleigh Initiate (104) Feb 8, 2016 North Carolina

Looking forward to trying these!

powershour and Woodrow like this.
  31. NCGreg

NCGreg Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2016 North Carolina

Outta this galaxy is, in my opinion Trophy's best ipa hands down. It will be interesting to see how it translates to cans.

CavemanRamblin likes this.
  32. CavemanRamblin

Deactivated

Agree. If it's even close to as good as the draft at Little Trophy was then it will be their best canned release so far.

NCGreg likes this.
  33. OtherHalfHearted

OtherHalfHearted Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2016 North Carolina

This is, for me, Trophy's last shot. They have, by my count, at least three other beers attempting to be New England IPAs (what they call "modern"): Cloud Surfer (perpetually underwhelming), Full Extension (collab with Finback, a saccharine, buttered-popcorn diacetyl disaster), and the DAVE series which is just a joke...doesn't resemble NEIPAs in color, clarity, taste, or aroma).

I will admit I heard great things about Outta This Galaxy when it was on draft at the pizza location (was it on draft at maywood, too?). And Galaxy is one of my favorite hop varieties.

But yeah, if they fuck this up too I'm officially donezo.

Crim122 and Macsimus like this.
  34. Crim122

Didn't AMB just release "modern" IPA too? What does modern even mean in regards to an IPA? Like if they can't make it a proper NE Style then just call it an ipa.

35. scottlivesey

scottlivesey Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2017 North Carolina

short list
    Howard's Lake Fever Black IPA has a complex flavor and lots of hops.
    New Belgium Citradelic i like the flavor
    Sierra Nevada Torpedo HOPPY says it all

KRubes likes this.
  36. Subcontrabass

Subcontrabass Initiate (49) Jun 21, 2014 North Carolina

Are you thinking of AMB's "Not an IPA" IPA?

I had one over the weekend and thought it was pretty good. Not a NE-Style IPA, though. Kinda reminded me of Surf Wax (or at least one of the Surf Wax iterations) with its lemony citrus flavor. I haven't had a ton of stuff from AMB, but this might be my favorite IPA from 'em so far.

37. davleather

davleather Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2017 North Carolina

OG Beer Study got cans of New Anthem New Jack IPA. This one is definitely a contender.

Macsimus, dogleg_left and Crim122 like this.
  38. Crim122

I saw Beer Study got some stuff from Wilmington recently too. Does anyone know if they're going to start distro here or did JD just get it himself?

39. gtatk

gtatk Initiate (0) May 4, 2015 North Carolina

Im pretty sure they went down and picked it up. From being down there this week, I would think WBC is closer than New Anthem to starting distribution.

Barstools and Macsimus like this.
  40. davleather

davleather Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2017 North Carolina

They picked it up. Overhead them saying they are getting cans of Steez this weekend. Gets my hopes up this will start being more regular.

Andy311x likes this.