NC's Best Drinking IPAs/ DIPAs

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by KRubes, Jan 25, 2016.

1. CavemanRamblin

CavemanRamblin Crusader (740) Jun 19, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

Veil IPA's are great IMO. The problem is they hardly make any IPA's, it's predominantly all 8-11% monstrosities that are much too sweet and boozy.

But enough about non-NC hops ha. Been a real treat to have some Heist stuff around lately, Blurred is the Word is really good as is Uberquench, but Citraquench'l is the one that really impressed me.

Bfairhurst74 and dogleg_left like this.
  2. NoMoreBeerBelly

NoMoreBeerBelly Initiate (136) Dec 2, 2009 North Carolina

Heist's Now Trending (their first Milkshake IPA collab with Aslin) is fantastic. Can's sold out very quickly but they did have some on draft at last check

3. dogleg_left

dogleg_left Initiate (161) May 12, 2016 North Carolina
    Trader

Hey!Beer has a Heist tap on 6/16, and the first confirmed keg was Now Trending.

4. KRubes

KRubes Aspirant (269) Sep 7, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

It's not an IPA (5.1% Juicy Pale), but really impressed with Boat Music from Wilmington Brewing Co.

Dtrain22 likes this.
  5. c64person

c64person Disciple (396) Mar 20, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

Nice! Just got some for the beach this weekend, hoping its a tasty one :grinning:

Dtrain22 and KRubes like this.
  6. CavemanRamblin

Trader

Should New Anthem be very crowded on a Sunday? How tough is parking?

7. KRubes

Trader

Street parking in a few block radius shouldn't be an issue. It's a walkable area. I can't speak to Sunday attendance, but there's usually a decent crowd every time I go there on a Saturday.

CavemanRamblin likes this.
  8. CavemanRamblin

Trader

Wasn’t packed at all btw, super easy and found street parking. Bartender said they just got a crowler machine, but wasn’t up and running yet. Hand Me Down Pumas was very tasty though!

Andy311x, dogleg_left and KRubes like this.
  9. KRubes

Trader

The Casita/Trophy collab TTYL is on point. Very balanced at 10%.

TomDRaleigh likes this.
  10. TomDRaleigh

TomDRaleigh Aspirant (252) Feb 8, 2016 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

Completely agree, so much better then Veil Triple IPAs.

Dtrain22 and KRubes like this.
  11. CavemanRamblin

Trader

I normally hate all TIPAS pretty much across the board, but have heard a lot of good things about this one, so I will have to try it I guess ha. Also didn’t know it was a Trophy collab, nice.

12. KRubes

Trader

Yeah, I typically shy away from big D/TIPAs these days, but wanted to give this one a go.

CavemanRamblin likes this.
  13. Stonefeet

Stonefeet Initiate (23) Jul 18, 2017 North Carolina

Ttyl is that triple that drinks like a double. Really awesome display of galaxy and simcoe. And yes far better than the veil triple ipas

Not sure what anyone would do with a 4 pack of that beer lol

aleckpa and Dtrain22 like this.
  14. CavemanRamblin

Trader

While that definitely sounds good, I guess I’m still left wondering why make it so high abv then? If it’s a triple that drinks like a double, why not just make a double that drinks like a double?

15. Stonefeet

Stonefeet Initiate (23) Jul 18, 2017 North Carolina

Meant it wasn’t overly sweet and boozy like a lot are (the veil in particular)

Honestly it was more monkish triple like than anything else, just more soft flavors

Dtrain22 likes this.
  16. c64person

c64person Disciple (396) Mar 20, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

I must be alone in this, I really didn't like TTYL. Casita still hasn't quite figured out how to not have a strong malt background to their hoppy beers. Its good, but I still think Wewededed was much better for being int he same TIPA category.

I'd like to get a hold of a New Anthem TIPA, I am curious if they could do one that wasn't so strong malt flavor wise.

brentk56 likes this.
  17. Dtrain22

Dtrain22 Initiate (43) Nov 2, 2017 North Carolina
    Trader

While currently having TTYL on draft at state of beer, I’d say I’d have to agree with how it drinks like a really good double. ‘Soft flavors’ nailed it. I was skeptical about the comments saying it’s better than Veil’s triples, but I would have to gladly agree! Anyways, TTYL is delicious and worth a try for sure! Probably shouldn’t be a Monday 12:30pm beer, haha oh well.....ttyl I guess. (Derp)

aleckpa, Andy311x, KRubes and 2 others like this.
  18. miguel_loves_beer

miguel_loves_beer Initiate (9) Feb 7, 2017

agree about casita stuff having some maltiness, but i consider that a good thing. their stuff is malty compared to some of the en vogue NE ipas today, but it's not malty compared to the entire spectrum of ipas out there. it adds a nice depth of flavor.

19. Subcontrabass

Subcontrabass Initiate (59) Jun 21, 2014 North Carolina

Had a 4-pack of Burial's From the Darkness There is Light (DDH Enigma and Galaxy + Mosaic lupulin powder) that they released on Saturday. Absolutely delicious. Charlton-esque.

Drinking their Death in the Distance now and it's real solid, too.

jlordi12 and Dtrain22 like this.
  20. CavemanRamblin

Trader

So many good Burial ipa’s recently that it’s hard to keep up. But I’d still contend that very little beats a fresh Hawkbill.

21. Dtrain22

Dtrain22 Initiate (43) Nov 2, 2017 North Carolina
    Trader

Haven’t had them frequently enough, but HopFly really has a great thing going, especially for the east-of-95 part of north eastern NC. Had their Juice Box NEIPA during a little travel break today and it was very good and refreshing. Glad to see them popping up on draft lists around the triangle.

I also second the above comment on fresh hawkbill!

22. Andy311x

Andy311x Initiate (101) Apr 28, 2008 North Carolina

Went to Brewery Bhavana for Fathers Day, Pulp was absolutely outstanding!

c64person and CavemanRamblin like this.
  23. carolinabeerguy

carolinabeerguy Savant (920) Oct 10, 2005 North Carolina
    Trader

Wise Man’s Blissed Out mango tangerine milkshake IPA is fantastic.

ben4unc likes this.
  24. CavemanRamblin

Trader

Burial, Heist, New Anthem.

My top 3 for ipa’s right now.

25. dogleg_left

Trader

I would go New Anthem, Resident Culture, and Heist in a top 3 list. My top 5 would include Brewery Bhavana and Burial. Casita and Wilmington Brewing are just on the outside. We are getting spoiled.

26. Subcontrabass

This tangerine/mango batch of Blissed Out is their best IPA so far. That one seemed to go pretty quick in the Triad, but I believe they still have it on tap at the brewery. I would dig it if they did batches of blissed out featuring other tropical fruit (guava, papaya, pineapple, etc).

27. defaultroute

defaultroute Initiate (137) Aug 14, 2005 North Carolina

28. KRubes

Trader

29. dailyminefield

dailyminefield Devotee (468) Jun 13, 2012 North Carolina

Burial has been too inconsistent this past year for top three.

Heist, New Anthem, High Branch... in that order for me.

Everyone is sleeping on High Branch.

nas4atu and jerryfreak like this.
  30. CavemanRamblin

Trader

Really? When I think of consistency, Burial is the first name that comes to mind.

Dtrain22 and Bfairhurst74 like this.
  31. Henryb22

Henryb22 Initiate (88) Jun 18, 2014 South Carolina

Just had Savages of Ruminating minds and it was a far cry from the last burial IPA I had which were the RAR and other half collabs last year. Also stopped there maybe 8 months ago and wasnt super impressed by their ipas but this was way better.

Only had High branch once (McGill) and it was ok though I think there was something wrong with the batch or it was oxidized. Going up to charlotte at the end of this month and Ill be stopping by there in addition to Heist and Resident Culture.

32. dailyminefield

dailyminefield Devotee (468) Jun 13, 2012 North Carolina

hmmm...

Page 21 of this thread discusses Burial's inconsistencies.

33. CavemanRamblin

Trader

From March 2017? You said this past year.

34. Subcontrabass

Burial is notorious for tinkering with their recipes. This made some of their IPAs "inconsistent" in the past because Burial was altering their hops, yeast, malt bill, etc.

Since the start of this year, I have had 9 different Burial IPAs and some of them I will hold up as on par with the best on the state. Burial seems to have locked down a strategy to making really solid hazy IPAs. A year or two ago, I would have said IPAs were their soft spot compared to their great dark beers, farmhouse styles, and lagers. Now, I'll readily put Burial in the same sentence with a few other breweries as making some of the best hazy IPAs in the state.

Henryb22 and CavemanRamblin like this.
  35. Subcontrabass

Also, I think this fresh batch of Bandwagon from Four Saints is really great. It sounds like they only did kegs this time, so be sure to check the dates if you see cans.

36. CavemanRamblin

Trader

Yeah I mean, they had some growing pains just like every brewery and have had some consistency issues going back to early 2017. But that feels like ancient history now. Their stuff has been super dialed in over the past year, especially all of 2018.

37. Henryb22

Henryb22 Initiate (88) Jun 18, 2014 South Carolina

I have a friend picking me up cans from Resident Cultures release this weekend. Just wondering how busy they get and does he need to get there before the release at 1pm? TIA

38. KRubes

Trader

These Fullsteam NEIPAs are flying under the radar IMO. Really enjoyed Space Farce.

peetoteeto and Dtrain22 like this.
  39. brentk56

brentk56 Poo-Bah (8,860) May 13, 2004 North Carolina
    Trader

The High Branch Is It Hoppy that was released on 7/27 is a great one. Perfectly balanced between the juicy and bitter elements without any of the big malt flavors you sometimes get from an 8%+ ABV DIPA.

dbrauneis likes this.
  40. dogleg_left

Trader

New Anthem's recent Kill The Headlights and Throwing Shade can releases were tremendous.