NE IPAs in Michigan?

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by elNopalero, Dec 10, 2016.

1. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (2,543) Oct 14, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

Hi folks. I'm genuinely curious if the "hazy"/"NE style IPA" trend has made it to southwest Michigan--particularly in the Kalamazoo/Grand Rapids areas? (And if so anything I should look for over the holidays?)

As an aside I'm so looking forward to a Two Hearted from the source!

archiebunkerjr and Jonl0424 like this.
  2. kgncfl

kgncfl Aspirant (250) Dec 24, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Yes. Transient, Ellison, and Railtown.

3. elNopalero

Beer Trader

Thanks. I'll be on the lookout for these.

4. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (1,587) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Subscriber

You'll have to go to these three places to get them because none of them distribute in bottles.

Also, I think I saw an IPA on the tap list that was described as NE style the last time I was at Bell's. I think it was listed as Experimental IPA ###. Happy hunting.

#4 Mothergoose03, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  5. Breaking_Beard

Breaking_Beard Initiate (168) Oct 17, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Old Nation M-43 is probably the best example of NE style in Michigan. They are near Lansing so not exactly in the area you mentioned but not super far. Other than that "This Guy" from witch's hat.

6. hoppymeal

hoppymeal Crusader (751) Jun 25, 2005 Michigan

Craft draft in kzoo has had Transient and Ellison on pretty regularly. I'd suggest checking in there, they've got lots of good options. Check their list when you're in town
    https://craftdraft2go.com

grossag likes this.
  7. Sammonsd

Sammonsd Initiate (129) Aug 13, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Watermark in Stevensville almost always has a NE style IPA or 2 on also.

LloydDobler and croush like this.
  8. Mothergoose03

Subscriber

I was at Arcadia today and a person at my table was drinking a Sipplicious IPA and it was cloudy looking so that it could be considered as one. It isn't described as a NE style IPA, but I've had it in the past and it is a juicy-tasting IPA. It is fairly new and may not be in distro in kegs, and I know it is not distributed in bottles, but look for it if you can stop at Arcadia in Kzoo or Battle Creek.,

9. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Zealot (570) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Strongly disagree. All of Transients hoppy offerings (other than Crunchy Groove) blew M-43 out of the water for me. I had it on draft though, heard cans were better. The draft was much too bitter and not "juicy" enough for my tastes.

10. Breaking_Beard

Breaking_Beard Initiate (168) Oct 17, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I agree Transient stuff is better but they do not really fit into the NE style.

11. ja1022

ja1022 Initiate (158) Sep 27, 2009 Indiana

How do The Juice is Loose, Flightless and Honeystone not fit the NE style??

BEERschlitz and BrandonK like this.
  12. TransientArtisanAles

TransientArtisanAles Initiate (108) Apr 26, 2016 Michigan

I would also like to know.

13. elNopalero

Beer Trader

Railtown was an option yesterday, but their boards looked pretty cleared out. Ended up at Founders and lo and behold they had a NE-style IPA pouring. The quest continues!

14. gratefulbeerhead

gratefulbeerhead Zealot (590) Dec 7, 2009 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Agreed...Craft Draft to Go is a great idea to get beer from multiple breweries that don't distribute package. They always have a great tap list and had several offerings from both Transient and Ellison last Friday when I was there. Got a crowler of Ellison Crescent Fresh to open shortly at Christmas dinner.
    [​IMG]

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  15. grossag

grossag Initiate (20) Apr 5, 2014 Michigan

Yeah Transient is definitely amazing and on another level. But I was pleasantly surprised by M-43 as well. Different tiers but still very good.

16. Swannyku

Swannyku Initiate (140) Jan 26, 2015 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Do they bottle This Guy?

apendecto likes this.
  17. ClarkstonMark

ClarkstonMark Initiate (130) Feb 21, 2016 Michigan
    Beer Trader

yes they do, but they do not always have it

18. Swannyku

Beer Trader

Cool thanks. Bottle shops carry it or just at the brewery? Will be visiting SE Michigan this week

19. ClarkstonMark

ClarkstonMark Initiate (130) Feb 21, 2016 Michigan
    Beer Trader

just the brewery as far as I know.

20. PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide Disciple (313) Sep 22, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

4-packs of bottles at the brewery only. About $20 I believe. Certainly not the best NE beer in the area, but I'd still have some in the fridge all the time if I lived closer. Since they just had a bottle release/party, I doubt there is any left. But keep an eye on their twitter/facebook.

In other news, I think I prefer M-43 to anything Ellison has put out. The one exception maybe being relativity....maybe.

21. Swannyku

Beer Trader

Thanks for heads up. Does M-43 distribute?

22. PrestigeWorldwide

Beer Trader

I actually am not entirely sure about that. They certainly distribute kegs and I have seen plenty of Old Nation beers on store shelves.

But I don't think M-43 cans have been distributed yet. I believe they have plans to distribute M-43 in the not too distant future though. They have a canning run in the next few days, but not sure if much will see distro this time around or not....

23. ColonelHopslam

ColonelHopslam Disciple (328) Jan 22, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

wut

grossag likes this.
  24. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Champion (891) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Honeystone is legit. Personally I like it better than Hopslam; more balanced & enjoyable.

Zaphog likes this.
  25. Jmorey

Jmorey Disciple (303) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

No distro yet. Cans on Friday. 15 a pack.

Also if you were in Lansing on Friday you could also go to Ellison and get cans of dawn street pale, you can get with that juice, and ddh Galaxy. 14, 16, and 18 a pack. Info on Facebook. First can releas from Ellison. They have some of the best iPas in the mid Michigan area.

The last two being more NE style.

26. Swannyku

Beer Trader

Thanks for the info. Unfortentley, I will be in the novi area.

27. Sparty1224

Sparty1224 Disciple (371) Jun 18, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Not sure if it's hit the area yet, but North Peak just bottled Stormy which is a East-coast style IPA. Haven't cracked mine yet, but I'll report back when I do!

28. BIN29

BIN29 Aspirant (231) Aug 12, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Stormy is actually pretty good and it's gonna be a shelfie from now on. Hands down the best beer from North Peak and one of the best easily available beer of the style. I only hope it doesn't sit on shelfs for too long though.

Sparty1224 likes this.
  29. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops Aspirant (259) May 11, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Amazing how smooth and easy the Ellison and Old Nation releases were today. Thank you fellow MI beer nerds.

croush likes this.
  30. croush

croush Devotee (487) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Glad to hear about this. As much as I wanted to get back to Chicago yesterday, I somewhat wished I would have been able to hit the Ellison release today (didn't even know about the Old Nation one, which I also would've liked to have checked out).

How are the beers tasting this time around? I know lots of these smaller breweries can have some batch inconsistencies, so intrigued to hear how these two have done.

31. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

I've never had any of these before so there is no point of reference. Ellison Juice is the only one holding a candle to what Transient is doing with JiL, Cromulent, Flightless, and Obligatory, although M-43 is really well done. Maybe it's because they were just canned on Wednesday, but all three Ellison beers have a noticeable bitterness towards the first finish. M-43 is superior in that aspect.

croush likes this.
  32. 3SH33TS

3SH33TS Disciple (304) Dec 21, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Had M-43 on my holiday visit - damn good.

TurboBrew likes this.
  33. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Zealot (570) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

After having all tonight I'd say:
    Juice is Loose (& most other Transient hops)>close 2nd M-43>You can get with that JUICE (only one I tried from Ellison).

IMO Transient is doing NE Style hops better than anyone else in MI right now. I'm very excited to see this style of IPA becoming more prevalent in MI. Can't wait to see what, if any, other breweries in Michigan (hopefully in GR soon??) start taking a crack at it.

34. gashmoney

gashmoney Aspirant (287) Apr 10, 2013 Michigan

This^^^^^^^^

Could you imagine what Bells or Founders could do with this style? I'd really love to find out.

BEERschlitz likes this.
  35. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

If Exfiltration IPA is any indication of what Founders can do, I'll take a hard pass.

36. That_Bearded_Guy

That_Bearded_Guy Aspirant (282) Jan 25, 2016 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Agreed, very disappointed in that one when I had it the other day at Founders.

37. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

I'll take back what I said yesterday, M-43>Ellison cans. The bitterness level on all the Ellison cans released yesterday is not a good indication of a NE Style ale. The juiciness is there, but Old Nation just does it better, IMO. Fans of lingering bitterness will enjoy the Ellison, for sure.

BEERschlitz likes this.
  38. PrestigeWorldwide

Beer Trader

I agree with this wholeheartedly. DDH Galaxy was a chore to finish at the pub on Friday. So much so that I passed on the cans altogether. However, several of the Ellison "crew" are saying that their IPAs need to be conditioned in the can for a week or two.

I've sort of heard of this phenomenon before with TH/trillium. Anyone really buying that though? If so, please explain.

39. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

I have often said that FFF Zombie Dust is better after a week. Basically, the bitterness will die off some and allow for a much more balanced beer. M-43 out of the can was better than the pour I had on draft, wish I had bought more. Nice to see solid beer coming out of central MI, regardless.

40. Mothergoose03

Subscriber

I have not seen this topic discussed in any of the general forums here on BA, but it comes up occasionally in the Homebrewing forum, and there are many of us who believe that IPAs don't reach their best flavor until 3-4 weeks after packaging. I'll just call it a maturation of the blend of the malt and hop flavors. I think those of us who have this opinion also would say that it holds true for commercially produced IPAs too, although I think some breweries recognize this and will condition their IPAs in tanks before packaging.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe