NE IPAs in Michigan?

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by elNopalero, Dec 10, 2016.

1. gashmoney

gashmoney Aspirant (287) Apr 10, 2013 Michigan

I haven't seen any mention of it anywhere. Tried one again tonight as well. Absolutely terrible. Hope they get their consistency issues resolved. I really appreciate their beer when it's on point.

2. gmguy71

gmguy71 Initiate (110) Apr 17, 2015 Michigan

LOL... thought the same thing. Had a growler of the DDH and it was great.. The cans are terrible... I took them out of my fridge and was planning to give them away as I can't drink them either.

3. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops Aspirant (259) May 11, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Unfortunately these cans were my introduction to Ellison and I likely won't bother buying their beer again.

4. Lazhal

Lazhal Aspirant (254) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Two weeks into 2017 and @AnchorDrops is already boycotting new breweries. That didn't take long.

5. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

Did I say I was boycotting them? I just said I "likely" won't buy their beer again. That doesn't mean never. There is too much good beer to waste my time/money on beer that simply isn't that good. Surely someone from their brewery must have tasted DDH Galaxy from a can before they released it? Maybe it simply shouldn't have been released? Anyway, maybe I'll revisit Ellison down the road, this was their first canning run and maybe they rushed things to get this to the customer by NYE?

6. DrinktotheDead

DrinktotheDead Initiate (157) Feb 11, 2014 Michigan

I''d say that's "likely"...

AnchorDrops likes this.
  7. PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide Disciple (313) Sep 22, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Ellison seems to be always tweaking their formulas. They've brewed DDH galaxy a few times and it has been noticeably different each round. Folks more plugged in than I have suggested that Ellison was having "trouble with the hops" in this most recent batch of DDH....whatever that means.

In other news, they released cans of relativity yesterday.

8. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Zealot (570) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I don't think Ellison has the true NE style IPA down yet, but hopefully with a little time they will. They're missing the soft pillowy mouth feel and "juiciness" with very low bitterness that M-43 and Juice is Loose both have. Definitely a couple notches below the best our state has to offer in the style.

9. Willtravelforbeer

Willtravelforbeer Initiate (156) Jun 20, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

You know, it could also be said that only two weeks into the new year, and you are already complaining about someone else complaining. Funny how opinions work.

croush and AnchorDrops like this.
  10. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

Totally agree.

11. gashmoney

Anyone have a chance to try a can of Relativity yet?

12. Lazhal

Beer Trader

If you think mocking is complaining, you've had too many. The joke is obviously lost on anyone who hasn't paid close attention to the GL forum over the last year.

13. Willtravelforbeer

Beer Trader

I think you just made my point. You seem to have no problem reading way too far into people's opinions. Several people said there was something off with the DDH galaxy, yet you ignore this. Instead of discussing said problem, you tried to change the course of thread with an attack at another member. I fail to see the relavence of your post is all.

14. Lazhal

Beer Trader

Quite the opposite. This has nothing to do with DDH galaxy. I'm pointing out what a mistake it is to be constantly anti-brewery X at the slightest slip-up on the brewers part. Hell, that even assumes there was a brewing/canning/etc mistake. And if there was, maybe they didn't know until it was too late.

There is enough stuff in life where second chances aren't given. Not trying a beer/brewery a second time when you didn't like a beer shouldn't be one of them.

croush likes this.
  15. Jmorey

Jmorey Disciple (303) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Not out of the can. But same batch on tap. Wasn't quite doing it for me as it has in the past. But also coming off drinking some bearded bees.

They had crescent fresh in cans. But I don't think they officially sold them. I know they are waiting on labels. I was there a week and a half ago and they poured my mugs out of cans. Only issue for me was that it wasn't quit cool enough. Still a great beer.

16. Willtravelforbeer

Beer Trader

Fair enough. Putting it this way makes far more sense.

17. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

I'll probably buy their beer again, just cautiously, and not going out of my way to obtain it. It wasn't just the DDH Galaxy, all three were average at best and none of them were good representations of a NE style hoppy ale. Maybe they will dial things in? It was disappointing after the level of hype this brewery has received.

This certainly isn't an Odd Side level of deception/outright lying situation, please don't make that comparison.

18. Junior

Junior Aspirant (248) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Opened another can tonight. It smelled a lot better this time, but the taste was still pretty bad, poured it down the drain.

19. gashmoney

I reluctantly stopped in and grabbed a 4 pack of Relativity. Had one last night and it is definitely not the same beer as in the past. I'm getting a little depressed at this point. Their IPAs have always been pretty good prior to these lackluster canned offerings. Bad first impression for a lot of folks I'm sure.

Any idea if they've changed brewers? I feel like after the dude from Kuhnhenn left there was a guy named Jordan that was head brewer and now I haven't seen him around for a while. Could explain a lot about the current situation.

20. Junior

Junior Aspirant (248) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Ellison still has the same brewmaster.

I skipped the Relativity release because of issues with DDH Galaxy Evoltion. I was pretty happy with the Juice and Dawn Street.

gashmoney likes this.
  21. azurel

azurel Disciple (326) May 27, 2016 Michigan
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Had a bottle of this yesterday...While it was a darn good beer it isn't a NEIPA in my opinion..Although a bit hazy it doesn't have the other characteristics of a NEIPA....

Will I drink the rest of the 6pack? Yup its a darn good beer IMPHO....but not worthy of being discussed as a NEIPA.

#101 azurel, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    Jmorey likes this.
  22. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

True enough, just like the Ellison cans aren't really quite there yet either. ;)

23. JcoleWHBC

JcoleWHBC Initiate (110) Jan 15, 2017 Michigan

This Guy 4pk when available are $12.99

PrestigeWorldwide likes this.
  24. Jmorey

Beer Trader

Same Brewers for awhile. But lots of tweaking and slight changes under the same beer names.

25. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Meyvn (1,443) Aug 29, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

FACK! So pissed that I keep missing the bottle releases for this beer. I've had it several times on tap and it's delicious. Sometimes the no warning thing can be a little frustrating.

I wouldn't put Born Yesterday in this conversation at all, as it's a fresh hop ale and has entirely different characteristics than what I consider to be the NE "style".

That said, I thought M43 has the look and taste pretty well down, but my cans have lacked the crazy juicy aroma that I've gotten from the TH and Trills of the world. Still more NE style than Born Yesterday, however, from which I get much more "green" flavor.

26. BEERschlitz

Beer Trader

Another drop of M-43 on Monday at noon at Old Nation 50 cases total, 1 case pp limit. Also 10 cases of another NE style IPA from them called Boxer w a limit of 3 4pks pp. Would try to make it if it wasn't a three hour round trip... C'mon GR, time to get your shit together! ;)

KBS and spookytwo like this.
  27. gashmoney

What a difference a few weeks makes. Boxer sold out fast and I just called about M-43 and was told they only have three and a half cases left. First time around M-43 was available for days after the release.

Junior and GuyFawkes like this.
  28. Jmorey

Beer Trader

The first time M-43 was canned it was a smaller run like this (i think 3-40 cases), and it sold out quickly. The second time it was canned it when they did the larger release on the 30th (200 cases). That is when it was available for longer.

This was a test run for boxer being canned. Similar to that first run of 43. Although this was only 13 cases.

29. Cotton_27

Cotton_27 Devotee (482) Feb 22, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

In my opinion Boxer isn't even close to how good M43 is. I'll continue to buy M43 but I'll pass on Boxer from now on. I've had Boxer on tap and in the cans, and wasnt overly impressed either way. But M43 has never let me down!

gashmoney likes this.
  30. Lazhal

Beer Trader

Maybe this will help keep the crowds down for the next couple releases!

Old Nation also posted there are 7 stores getting M-43 tomorrow. Small amounts. Just a test run.

31. croush

croush Devotee (487) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Is that just going to stores in mid-Michigan/Lansing area?

32. SpartanBen

SpartanBen Initiate (126) Aug 21, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

croush likes this.
  33. gashmoney

Agreed. Boxer on tap seemed to lack carbonation and just didn't have that juice like quality. A good beer but not M-43 status.

Cotton_27 likes this.
  34. BEERschlitz

Beer Trader

Figured boxer would suck when they stated it was made with more malt... Who the eff wants more malt in an IPA?? :p

Codyiii420 and KevinJohnson2 like this.
  35. Jmorey

Beer Trader

for anyone that got burned by Ellison on the DDH Galaxy Cans

I will say this is a good step. Problem is, if I had bought any Galaxy, I doubt I would have the cans. Would be nice to provide a receipt or some other proof. But at least it's something.

#115 Jmorey, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    Mothergoose03 likes this.
  36. SpartanBen

SpartanBen Initiate (126) Aug 21, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Just about to post that. Glad to see them making it right. Had it on draft at the brewery last week and definitely closer to the original "pre-can" batch

37. Jmorey

Beer Trader

If the pre-can batch is the intended flavor. I am staying anyways. Whatever the recipe, be it the galaxy hops in general, or what. It's not for me.

38. K-jack211

K-jack211 Initiate (178) Jun 22, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

FYI, Steve's is releasing it on Saturday at 10:00 am. One 4-pack per person, $14.99.

Gemini6 likes this.
  39. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

I only have a receipt for the cans I struggled through, why would I (1) sit on and not drink cans of a hoppy beer and (2) keep cans to return to the brewery??? And nice that they waited a month so that most people would have already consumed the beer.

Can they seriously say that no one at the brewery tried that batch of DDH before deciding to sell it for $18/4pk?

40. Jmorey

Beer Trader

I bet if you asked them they might take a receipt. It does sound like they looked into WHY the flavor was like that. So I can see it taking a bit more time.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe