NE IPAs in Michigan?

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by elNopalero, Dec 10, 2016.

1. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops Aspirant (259) May 11, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I may go that route. I still don't understand how/why they would sell a beer without tasting it.

grossag and PrestigeWorldwide like this.
  2. Lazhal

Lazhal Aspirant (254) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Put yourself into the shoes of a small business owner who thinks they might have fucked up big time, but isn't sure. Are you not going to spend time and do your research? Are you not going to contact your supplier? Are you not going to be absolutely certain before you issue a half-baked finger point at what you aren't sure is the problem (/golfclap Samsung Galaxy Note 7)? Are you not going to go over the numbers multiple times to be sure a refund isn't going to cause you to lock the doors for good?

They issued a refund. They admitted the mistake. They are giving you free beer.

Take a closer look at your expectations, because I for one think they are unreasonable.

3. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

I'll ask again, did not a single person at that brewery taste this swill before they decided to sell it for $18/4pk? This beer should have NEVER been sold in the first place.

There should be a reasonable expectation as a consumer when we buy a product it is somewhat consistent with previous batches of the same product. I'm tired of low standards being put on breweries because they are a "small business". If consumers continue to make excuses for businesses stealing our money, they will continue to take it.

beerindex and grossag like this.
  4. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

According to that statement, they are NOT issuing a refund, they are issuing replacements for cans of DDH returned to the brewery. Many, if not most, of these cans have been consumed, disposed of and/or recycled. I would venture to guess that, by design, very few people will take them up in their offer.

Once again, no one has addressed my question as to why this batch was sold to the public in the first place.

beerindex likes this.
  5. Junior

Junior Aspirant (248) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I bet that even if you don't have a receipt or any/all of the cans that you purchased that they will be willing to work with you in some way, if you contact them directly.

I too am pretty disappointed that this batch was even put up for sale. Not sure how, but it seems like not everything was off as some seemed to really like it.

Anyone with a can of DDH, whether purchased or received as a gift can return it to the brewery for a replacement. Seems pretty fair to me. I agreed to purchase beer from them. I assumed that the beer would be of a certain quality. It was not. They agreed to replace it. I couldn't ask for a better response.

6. gashmoney

gashmoney Aspirant (287) Apr 10, 2013 Michigan

So much anger. Pretty sure nothing they could do at this point would make AnchorDrops happy.

I'm pleased as hell with their statement and the fact that I get to exchange my 4 pack for something else. I feel like it's to be expected that there'll be some ups and downs when a brewery starts packaging for the first time. Classy move Ellison.

7. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

Yet no one at the brewery tasted a can of this before selling it?

And "so much anger"? Please, no anger here.

#127 AnchorDrops, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  8. Breaking_Beard

Breaking_Beard Initiate (168) Oct 17, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

AnchorDrops, why do you even bother buying beer anymore?

king75 and schepelz like this.
  9. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

Because I like to waste money and then complain about it :rolleyes:. You know, it's not like I haven't had hundreds of beers that I actually like.

LambicPentameter and Lazhal like this.
  10. PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide Disciple (313) Sep 22, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Can't say I disagree with @AnchorDrops too much. Ellison got caught up competing with Old Nation to be first to market with cans (of that style beer in our area). Glad I had a pint of DDH at the pub so I knew not to buy any cans. But do I get a refund for the draft pour? And If I remember correctly, when the kegs were getting foamy they were just serving people from cans...do those get refunded too?

Funny though how plenty of Ellison fan boys (if there is such a thing) berated people for saying anything bad about DDH. "You don't know what you're talking about, all hazy IPAs need a couple weeks in the can to mellow". Welp, who has egg on their face now?

11. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

I'll stop complaining now and reach out to them this coming week, if they are issuing replacements, that is certainly a step in the right direction. This is probably an instance when I should indeed give them a 2nd chance. Obviously comparisons cannot be made to another brewery that will remain unnamed. I have a feeling that Ellison will indeed learn from this. So yes, change of heart here.

gashmoney likes this.
  12. gashmoney

gashmoney Aspirant (287) Apr 10, 2013 Michigan

Exchanged my remaining 7 cans today. No BS involved whatsoever. Grabbed some Covariance. I'm routing for these guys and knowing that they did the right thing really helps the situation.

Side note: Vine & Brew still had a little over a case of M-43 early this afternoon if anyone is in search of.

13. Jmorey

Jmorey Disciple (303) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Ellison went through commenting on people's untappd checkins for ddh telling them the issue.

Also said to someone else they'd work with a receipt. And told someone else to stop in even though they had neither.

But then I also agree that my draft pour was bad. Do I get a free pour? I have my receipt for that too...

On other notes I had the pineapple / passion fruit version of m43 called Froot road (horrible name). Damn was it good. Amped up tropical flavors with an already decent base.

14. Lazhal

Beer Trader

Let me be the first to say, you were made for this job.

schepelz likes this.
  15. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

Great, as I said I am going to reach out and hope they are understanding. I guess I may have been a bit jaded by a certain brewery in Grand Haven that apparently doesn't care about their customers ;)

16. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

I must be a magnet for bad beer releases...

17. Junior

Junior Aspirant (248) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Picked up a 4-pack of M43 at Vine & Brew this morning and had one tonight. Very hazy, quite juicy and delicious. Very balanced, clean, medium body, and a soft hop finish. Can't say right now if I like it more or less than Ellison's Juice. I will need to to a side by side. Also not sure if it is really fair to compare, with M43 at 6.8 ABV and Juice at 9.0. Both are great options for the Lansing area. Would also like to try along with Transient's The Juice is Loose and/or Flightless.

18. KTL123

KTL123 Initiate (159) Apr 15, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Really? I stopped on Friday around 1:30 and Kurt hadn't gotten any yet but said he had a lot of calls and people checking on it. Figured no chance it would last long. Hope there open Sunday will try to get some.

19. chewy777

chewy777 Initiate (119) Nov 30, 2016 Michigan

They still had about a case left prior to closing tonight.

20. KTL123

Beer Trader

Cool thanks for the update they open at noon so I will be there. Are they still just selling 4 packs per person?

21. Lazhal

Beer Trader

Boxer is releasing this upcoming Sunday and Wednesday. 50 cases available (each day), 1 case per person.

22. croush

croush Devotee (487) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

So there could potentially be only 50 people to get some? I'm sure that won't be the case, as some/many won't buy a case. But a case per person strikes me as a high limit when there are only 50 cases.

23. Jmorey

Beer Trader

But if you put low limits, people don't turn out, because they aren't going to drive 1.5+ hours for 2 packs.

A hard balance. But a case limit is going to entice people to drive.

I am curious how things are going at Transient right now. But when they say "we'll set limits based on how the line looks" is a crazy statement to me. Don't let the people in the beginning buy a case each, then all the sudden decided it is 2-3 packs per person. And be up front with your limits. I'm not going to drive 2 hours, and there be a line, and then you say it's 2 packs per. That's a waste of time and gas.

24. Jmorey

Beer Trader

Also to note, Sunday is starting at 9am and Wed at 11.

I'd be kind of nice for them to do it wednesday at like 4 or 5...

25. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Zealot (570) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Transient has a 2 case limit right now for either beer.

26. BEERschlitz

Beer Trader

1 case limit...

Jmorey likes this.
  27. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Initiate (94) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

At Transient, still plenty here

azurel likes this.
  28. Vicodin_Tears

Vicodin_Tears Initiate (92) Nov 29, 2016 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I just left too. I guess there's a lot? If everything is out in the floor. I'd say a good amount. No line...I didn't max on either.

29. nachos

nachos Initiate (93) Jun 4, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Enjoyed my quick visit to Transient today while visiting with friends/family in michiana. But think I liked cromulent better than JIL. As someone who gets easy access to Pulpit rock and toppling Goliath, I was hoping to be more impressed than I was. Don't get me wrong, very much enjoying my JIL and cromulent, just not as amazing as I hoped.

30. PhilBallins

I love JIL, but if you're looking for Midwest NE IPAs you have to try out Narrow Gauge

nachos likes this.
  31. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

Whatever they have been doing appears to be working as far as limits and they update and post future limits at the end of the evening. You can't assume that everyone in the front of the line buy their full allotment either, so by changing limits as the sale progresses it ensures that people didn't waste a trip by not getting beer while ensuring that the beer gets sold while still fresh.

32. nachos

nachos Initiate (93) Jun 4, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

But then I'd have to deal with the BFIB ;) :)

33. PhilBallins

Haha, well this is the best time to try since they're still reeling from that last world series

nachos likes this.
  34. BEERschlitz

Beer Trader

Best batch of Cromulent yet, right up there with Juice is Loose, Flightless, and Obligatory. Safe to say they're brewing some of the best NE style IPA's in the region. Nice work Transient! So happy to have you in our state, thank you!

Vicodin_Tears likes this.
  35. grossag

grossag Initiate (20) Apr 5, 2014 Michigan

Definitely excited for the infusion of NE IPAs into SE Michigan. I was getting tired of the IPAs available around here.

So far I have loved everything from Transient I've had. Old Nation M43 is also very good. I liked Ellison Juice and Crescent Fresh; Relativity didn't do it for me and Covariance was basically a session IPA.

Not sure if Ascension's IPAs are considered NE style but they were very good. I especially liked HOMES when it was at Hopcat in Ann Arbor. Am hoping to try more of their stuff.

36. Vicodin_Tears

Vicodin_Tears Initiate (92) Nov 29, 2016 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I was really surprised by this one, mainly because it didn't have the hype that Juice did. Really has a nice piney, bitter bite.

These were my first Transient beers. I'll definitely be making more road trips for more!

BEERschlitz likes this.
  37. BEERschlitz

Beer Trader

Make sure to sit on a four pack for at least 2-4 weeks to see how the flavors change. As the yeast settles, it'll balance out the flavors and be even better!

Vicodin_Tears likes this.
  38. theonegman

theonegman Initiate (128) Apr 11, 2016 Michigan

Darwin. The beer reviewer just did a few reviews on Ellison. Very good review.

39. trginter

trginter Aspirant (268) Dec 1, 2008 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Just watched one of his reviews. It was surprisingly pretty good.

"The best DIPA I've had from Michigan "

Definitely agree.

Jmorey likes this.
  40. KTL123

Beer Trader

I picked a 12 pack of Boxer today at 1:15 and there was only like 8 cases left

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe