NE IPAs in Michigan?

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by elNopalero, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Jmorey

Jmorey Disciple (303) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

They sold out about 7:30 last night.

If they can get some of the (horribly named ) Froot / Fruit Road in cans i'll be there.

2. gashmoney

gashmoney Aspirant (287) Apr 10, 2013 Michigan

I'm walking back my earlier statement about Boxer not being as good as M-43. Enjoying it more and more with each can I open. Not quite the true hazy IPA that M-43 is but it has everything I like in an IPA. Cans seem to have better carbonation than it did on draft also. Old Nation keeps putting out IPAs like these and they'll have themselves a customer for life.

goast8127 likes this.
  3. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops Aspirant (259) May 11, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Just to follow up on my earlier comments re: Ellison. I did reach out and they were more than accommodating in regards to the DDH Galaxy release. I will make a point of regularly purchasing their beer in the future.

4. grossag

grossag Initiate (20) Apr 5, 2014 Michigan

For anyone hunting Old Nation Boxer in the Ann Arbor area, Session Room on Jackson Road just tapped it today. $7.50 for a 16 oz pour with smaller sizes available. I definitely enjoyed it a lot!

KZooJK, ScottRansom and 3SH33TS like this.
  5. grossag

grossag Initiate (20) Apr 5, 2014 Michigan

Maybe they didn't have the carbonation right in their tap system at Old Nation. The carbonation was perfect when I had it yesterday at Session Room in Ann Arbor.

I haven't been able to have M43 and Boxer side by side and instead had them at different times, only on tap. I liked both but would lean slightly towards Boxer.

Junior likes this.
  6. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Meyvn (1,443) Aug 29, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Ran into some Stormy last week and while it was a solid beer, my biggest issue with it was a rough/bitter taste of oats on the finish. Still, I think it's fair to slot it under the "NE IPA" subcategory, because some variation across a style is to be expected and it hits most of the main characteristics--hazy, full-bodied and even that somewhat juicy/saturated taste until the finish came in and ruined it.

I'll drink the rest of my sixpack (was really hoping to find a single), but won't buy it again, especially with all the options that are available these days in Michigan with a little bit of effort. Case in point--with just a little bit of work, I'm now sitting on a case of mixed Old Nation, Witch's Hat and Ellison beers, which is just about the right amount for me to drink it all before it turns back into a pumpkin at midnight on Week 3.

Also had Boxer this weekend, followed closely by some M-43 on tap, and while I prefer M-43, both are really good, and different enough to be worth getting both. Still need to get my hands on some more Transient hops--the little I've had has been really good.

BEERschlitz and Junior like this.
  7. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (1,587) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Subscriber

Is this implying that Witch's Hat bottles are in distribution now?

8. d4rkness

d4rkness Initiate (24) Nov 14, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

They have bottles at the brewery.

9. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Zealot (570) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Let's just hope for another release before March 4th... c'mon Flightless and Obligatory!

LambicPentameter likes this.
  10. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

Regarding Stormy, I feel like the bitterness is hop-derived (reminds me of grapefruit pith) and it does seem to fade with time. Unlike some other beers of this style, this still tastes quite good with over a month on it (from the 12/16/2016 batch). The most recent batch was packaged on 1/24/2017.

DrinktotheDead likes this.
  11. wingnutter

wingnutter Devotee (480) May 18, 2005 Florida
    Beer Trader

Im in Florida and tried a bottle yesterday (bottled 1/24/17) at a local place. I was really surprised how good it was, and quickly found out that a bunch of stores here carry it. Im going to grab a six pack in a bit. I had never heard of North Peak before, and was surprised that we get it here in FL.

12. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Meyvn (1,443) Aug 29, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Maybe I'm just dumb--where are the bottling dates for North Peak? I must've looked special standing in the beer aisle at Lucky's for 15 minutes trying to divine a date of some kind...

BEERschlitz likes this.
  13. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

On the label itself in the government warning section. It's in black ink and blends in well.

LambicPentameter likes this.
  14. DrinktotheDead

DrinktotheDead Initiate (157) Feb 11, 2014 Michigan

After a bunch of M-43 I find I really like that bitter finish of Stormy

AnchorDrops likes this.
  15. Jmorey

Beer Trader

Tap only for now but Old Nation put their Greenstone DDH APA on tap last night so I stopped in to try it. Another quality offering from them. Tons of flavor and haze packed into a 5.5% ABV.

[​IMG]

ScottRansom, BEERschlitz and grossag like this.
  16. Mothergoose03

Subscriber

A quick update: I was told at the brewery today that Sipplicious was just an internal name for this beer when it was first brewed and on tap as experimental. As of today this beer is being released in bottles as their newest year-round packaged beer which is now called Mango Surprise. It is quite turbid and juicy, if you can consider mango as juicy.
    [​IMG]

azurel and Junior like this.
  17. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

Is it a Mango IPA (with added juice)?

18. Jmorey

Beer Trader

They keep saying "mango infused"

19. Mothergoose03

Subscriber

I didn't ask the question, so I don't know. I could not taste mango specifically, so it just kind of gives a juicy flavor.

20. Lazhal

Lazhal Aspirant (254) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

M43 release this Saturday 8am. And very good news for us Michiganders...one of the best posts from a brewer I've seen in quite a while. Old nation, if you are on BA, well done.

The question:
    Why aren't they emptying the other tanks and only brewing this? Founders prob does $50 million off of all day IPA. Only need 1 beer to get on the map and run with it​

The response:
    It's as frustrating for us as it is for you, AJ. First, we have to scale up in a way that makes certain that we are being fiscally responsible (brewing, say, 120 bbl of beer at huge cost and not making great beer would hurt us a lot more than help), and responsible to the folks spending what is, to my mind, a lot for a 4 pack of beer. Right now we have our last scaling step in the tank, at 60 bbl. Starting next week, all we will be doing is making M43 in 120bbl batches. On april 7, we'll release a lot of this beer, with 2 large batches of 60 and 80 bbl between now and then. I'm not a rich man, and we've just now experienced any success after a year and a half of trying to reach out to beer fans in MI. We need to build dry powder up in the form of funds and notoriety to make sure that once we hit the market we can sustain growth. That's for you, me, my wife, kids and employees. By spring, if the distributor does it's job, we'll be everywhere and THEN, we'll see how it goes. 15 years of work as a professional brewer led up to this month for my brewing partner Nate and I, and we need to make sure that when we shoot, we hit the target. I promise that you'll get what you want, in the volume you want and with the convenience you want by the spring. Thanks for sticking with us as we grow!!!​

#180 Lazhal, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  21. azurel

azurel Disciple (326) May 27, 2016 Michigan
    Subscriber Beer Trader

A well thought out response and lack of defensivness makes me want to try out their beer....That's one of the better responses I have seen from a brewer/brewery...

king75 and croush like this.
  22. That_Bearded_Guy

That_Bearded_Guy Aspirant (282) Jan 25, 2016 Michigan
    Beer Trader

This new batch of M-43 is world class. Better IMO than last batches which i still thought were tasty. Greenstone APA that i had on tap at ON was also incredible. ON is crushing it in the Lansing area right now. Would love to get a can of Juice is loose to compare however, with the quality of beers coming out from ON right now i can't see myself trying to trade for JIL any time soon.

Jmorey likes this.
  23. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,020) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Testament that any unknown breweries out there should double (dry hop) down on brewing hazy, juice bombs.

24. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Aspirant (223) Jun 3, 2005 Oregon

Can someone tell me what these M43 releases look like? Do people line up before opening?

25. BEERschlitz

Beer Trader

It's not Treehouse or Monkish if that's what you're wondering... ;)

26. RedMedicine

Thanks. I have no clue what Treehouse or Monkish look like. I just spent 6 years in Oregon and during that time only lined up once for beer because it wasn't really a thing. But having lived on the East Coast know how whacky it can get!

Basically would like to try this beer so wondering whether to show up at 10 or 11am with the family or 7:15 by myself...

27. BEERschlitz

Beer Trader

At open with family I'd think would be just fine.

28. Junior

Junior Aspirant (248) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I went to the Wednesday Boxer release a few weeks ago. I got there an hour after release. No line, in and out in less than 5 minutes. Was back for the M43 release this last Saturday. Got there for lunch a little after noon (8:00 AM release) with my two kids. It wasn't overly busy and no line. It went great. They did sell out a few hours later though.

RedMedicine likes this.
  29. RedMedicine

Ohhhh, this was last weekend. Glad I asked o_O;)

30. Jmorey

Beer Trader

Yeah, was kind of wondering what release you were mentioning. But yes, so far you could roll in within a few hours and be in and out.

Doesn't hurt to plan to stick around for a bit as they often do $3 pints on release day.

This latest batch of 43 is absolutely killing it though. I should have got more (as I only got 1 pack).

31. KBS

KBS Disciple (307) Apr 25, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Local restaurant had M43 on tap so had one at lunch today, went in with mediocre expectations and was really pleasantly surprised. Told my nieces and nephews it was orange juice and they believed me from the look. Great tasting IPA, will definitely be looking for some next release.

32. ClarkstonMark

ClarkstonMark Initiate (130) Feb 21, 2016 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I had it today as well, at local restaurant. Enjoyed M43 much more than the Boxer I had at the same place a few years ago.
    There was an older woman sitting next to me at bar, and she asked me what I was drinking. She was pretty taken aback that this was a beer, being drunk from a snifter. Ponted at the person next to me drinking a hefe-weisen - now that is a Beer glass.

PrestigeWorldwide likes this.
  33. BEERschlitz

Beer Trader

Hopefully it's a bigger release than the last one... If it's the same size keep an eye on social media and good luck getting there in time. Pretty sure the last one was hoarded by about two-three dozen people in the GR area. All sold out before work was over.

34. KTL123

KTL123 Initiate (159) Apr 15, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

In the Lansing area it will be released early April at 3-4 designated stores should not be too hard to get a few 4 packs.

35. gashmoney

gashmoney Aspirant (287) Apr 10, 2013 Michigan

M-43 dropping at the pub on Monday... at 9 am.

#195 gashmoney, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  36. red94tt

red94tt Disciple (385) Nov 27, 2008 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Has anyone had a chance to try Ascension Brewing's take on the style....Juicy, I'm Home?

37. PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide Disciple (313) Sep 22, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Yes, a few months ago.

It tasted great but looked awful. Like muddy water. Maybe the keg needed some shaking or something. Still, it was tasty and I'd have ordered it again.

red94tt likes this.
  38. Junior

Junior Aspirant (248) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Haven't tried it, but the name is awesome.

39. AnchorDrops

Beer Trader

After trying a half dozen of Ellison's PA's, IPA's, and DIPA's over the last few months, I'm not really sure they truly fit into the "NE Style", particularly when compared to M-43 and any number of Transient releases.

That said, other than the DDH Galaxy that they owned up to, everything I have had from them has definitely been very good and well above average compared to the vast majority of MI hoppy ales. Given they seemingly aren't all truly NE style, I don't find it fair to make comparisons with pineapple/orange juice bombs like M-43, either. Regardless of style, it is nice to Michigan finally stepping up their IPA game. I like a fresh can of Two Hearted as much as the next guy, but its nice to have next level hops available as well.

40. Jmorey

Beer Trader

Totally agree, they aren't hitting the NE style yet. They have things close, but not to the level that others do. Still good to have their options around.

My main thing is they have a lot of batch variation. Not just with cans, but their beer in general. One batch I love it, the next it's all over the place. Covariance was great, tried the next batch and it was so different.

I'm going to start sounding like a homer / fanboy but m43 really is really killing it. The last batch which should have been the final recipe was amazing. I'll pick up another pack Monday and see if its staying consistent. I've had 3 different transient cans, bearded Iris, and something else in the last week. I keep asking myself, is this better than something I can buy 7 minutes from my house... and i keep coming up with the same answer. M43 has become my current baseline. Is it Trillium or Treehouse level, not yet. But it's damn close and I don't have to drive/fly/ship/trade to get it.

Junior and azurel like this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe