Need Habanero and Mango Advice

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Jun 5, 2018.

1. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,440) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

I'm toying with the idea of a high-ish gravity blond ale (or some other pale style) with Habaneros and Mangos. Although I've done quite a few beers with fruit, I've never used either of these fruits, and thus I have no good sense of how much to use in a 5 gallon batch. Looking for ideas about starting points for something midway between barely perceptible and in-your-face. From the habaneros, I'm looking for both the heat and the pepper flavor. I'd probably use both fruits in secondary. TIA for any recommendations based on your experience.

2. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (5,024) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

No advice on amounts - and not sure what part of PA you live in - but have you ever had Free Will's Safeword? It's a mango habanero DIPA - the hops work with the flavors - but that beer is in your face.
    https://www.freewillbrewing.com/ipas?lightbox=dataItem-ja0dkeu3

Maybe they would give you pointers, as it appears that they might cooperate with Keystone Homebrew on some other Free Will "clone" kits they sell.

3. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (229) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

I recently did a peach and poblano saison. My recommendation would be roast the habaneros after removing seeds and white stem (with gloves) and adding last 5 minutes of boil with mango purée then remango in secondary or primary( whichever is your current way of doing things) that should get u enough balanced heat.

billandsuz likes this.
  4. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,716) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

I've wanted to use mangoes for some time but haven't yet. I've never been a big fan of beers with chilis but this concept sounds appealing as the mango could complement the pepper, whereas I don't generally find pepper heat and beer to complement. In short, nothing to add except an eagerness to hear how this develops.

5. MrOH

MrOH Crusader (775) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

While not a beer, Charm City Meadworks has a mango-comapeno chili mead that is really nice. Maybe reach out to them?
    So far as mango selection, go to an asian grocer to buy them, trust me, they're better. Get the atafualas(?) if they have them (I think they're just now going out of season).

6. telejunkie

telejunkie Aspirant (232) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

Mango is one of those that I find has a moderate contribution. I had 6 lbs in my last 5 gal batch of a fruited IPA and it was there but now where near taking over the hops. I bought a bag of frozen mango and was happy with results and not having to prep something like 12 mangoes or however the whole fruit substitute would be the equivalent.
    As for habanero...think I would just do one. I would probably do like 3-5 seeds in the mix along with the pulp, but I like some heat. You could not do any seeds if you want to keep it minimal heat. I'm sure just the pulp would still be "felt" in a blonde

TooHopTooHandle likes this.
  7. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (332) May 9, 2011 Michigan

I did a stout once with habanero. It turned out nice. I added them both in the boil and then again at secondary. I’d have to check my notes for quantity. I cut them in two, used seeds and all for boil. Then made a tincture with vodka and added to taste in the keg. The heat wasn’t overpowering, just with nice burn in the aftertaste.

8. FeDUBBELFIST

FeDUBBELFIST Meyvn (1,026) Oct 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

Did a habanero kolsch that turned out exactly the way I wanted it, which was fresh habanero flavor with just above mild heat gain towards the back end of the palate.

I used a flask and boiled 8-12 oz of water, de-seeded and de-veigned 3 habaneros, added them to the boiling water, took it off heat and shook to get contact with all sides of the flesh. Cooled and added the water portion only to the beer.

Not sure the boiling part was necessary fron a sanitization standpoint, just a cautionary measure and it worked for my purposes. Next time I will add the habaneros to the end of the boil for ease, but this method worked for adding at kegging.

Keep in mind this was only for a 5% beer and no fruit was involved.

Push_the_limits likes this.
  9. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Disciple (357) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Made a blue heat stout with habanyero added 1 whole fresh hab last 10 minutes of the boil with a few thin puncture marks in it. Fished it out afterwards. Nice brew. No experience with mangos

Prep8611 likes this.
  10. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,240) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Premium

I've played with both quite a bit. Couple things... what yeast are you using? I have found that biotranformative yeasts will strip the heat out. Cal Ale will let the heat and flavor shine, but London III, West Yorkshire, Brett, will soften it much like it does with IBUs. Mango is a very fragile fruit and needs a lot to get the flavor to come across, especially if the sugars are being fermented. Use Alfonso Mangos for the biggest punch of flavor, at least 1#/gal. 2 Habs in a 5 gallon for a couple days should be good - I treat mine like a dry hop, suspend inside keg, shake, sample, pull when it is where you want it.

11. Naugled

Naugled Zealot (586) Sep 25, 2007 New York

No advice for mangoes or amounts or timing, but my wife does use a lot of habaneros.

We found what brings out the tropical fruit flavors of the habaneros and reduces the heat is how they are prepared. If you cut them open and remove all of the seeds and webbing, and then roast them quickly it removes much of the heat and brings out the sweetness and flavors.

But I've never tried them in a beer yet. Ever since drinking Cave Creek Chili beer years ago I've never been a fan.

12. epk

epk Initiate (160) Jun 10, 2008 New Jersey

Second that, mangos are a pain to cut up. Having them all ready to go is not a bad idea. We did it once years ago and then we started using a mango extract for a PA we brewed each year. If you did go extract, as usual, go in with a light hand.

jbakajust1 likes this.
  13. MrOH

If you use pretty much the same technique for cutting a mango as you would an avocado, its not so hard

14. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (701) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Chiles and almost any other sweet fruit pair well...maybe use both in a secondary to keep from destroying all the fruit flavor and flaming the capsicum. :slight_smile:

15. Eggman20

Eggman20 Initiate (48) Feb 14, 2017 Minnesota

I've done a blond with fresh mango frozen with 1lb/gallon. It was very tasty but the mangos were a pain to work with. Will try frozen next time and adding habanero sounds like an excellent idea.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  16. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (748) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

As always, this stuff is killer and easy to use:

[​IMG]

GormBrewhouse and GreenKrusty101 like this.
  17. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (701) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Wouldn't it be great though, if you could get the concentrate before they reconstituted it?

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  18. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (748) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Absolutely. I always liked using white or red grape juice concentrate for projects. Super easy stuff.

GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  19. MrOH

Goya has frozen concentrates, but you may need to live in an area with a decent Latino population for it to be available.

GreenKrusty101 and Prep8611 like this.
  20. VikeMan

Thanks for all the advice. When I brew this, I'll follow up. In the meantime, I may be experimenting with these two ingredients in a non-malt based beverage, so will probably learn something there too that will help me dial in the amounts for the Blonde Ale.

21. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (57) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

FWIW, I've found ground habanero to have a very nice habanero aroma and flavor. A bottle of that would ensure consistency that might not be found in fresh.

22. VikeMan

Did you find that the (chopped?) habaneros floated or sank?

chavinparty likes this.
  23. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Crusader (764) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

My experience with peppers in beer is that they hit their peak awesomeness very quickly when in contact. Sometimes their heat index grows on a scale beyond their peak flavor range, if that makes sense. 24-48 hours is usually where the flavor stays good, then you start getting this weird vegetal green bell pepper flavor that has no place in beer. My advice with the habaneros is to add a couple, pull them at 24 hours, then taste to see if you need to add more heat.

Mangos are one of the less expressive fruits I’ve used in brewing. Had to use a LOT (5+lbs.) to get a decent flavor. I have a theory that their texture has a lot to do with their perceived flavor...
    Anyways, adding juice, like @EvenMoreJesus suggested is likely the much smarter method for getting the desired flavor than fermenting out fruit and rolling the dice.

EvenMoreJesus and billandsuz like this.
  24. billandsuz

billandsuz Disciple (357) Sep 1, 2004 New York

Is there a mango concentrate, like McIlhenny vanilla or peppermint concentrate? I am familiar with mango powder from the bodega but it is a poor substitute. Maybe there is an alcohol based mango concentrate. Perhaps the powder could be used

FWIW my own experience with habs is that they can vary greatly.. Sometimes 1 is plenty, sometimes not. But they are always always always really burning hot, and in a good way.

I like mango and I like hab so yeah add that to beer.

25. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (57) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

In my experience mangoes (like peaches) are at their peak for a day or two, three at the most. I don't know how their flavor transmutes when brewing. The best tasting mangoes to me always have a piney taste and even more so in the aroma. It’s something that makes a good mango even mo’ bettah. A hop with that in its offering might be complementary; Azacca?, Vic Secret (per its profile)? I've not used Vic Secret but can attest (as I type) to a detectable amount of pine needle aroma from Azacca (not resinous like fat pine / heart pine).
    If going with the Looza juice, published nutrition data HERE

Agree to the part about heat variance among peppers, even from the same plant. Sounds like an unintentional vote for using ground habanero, or at least (if using fresh) pureeing more than enough together to complete the recipe. I'd add, taste test, then add as needed from the same puree.
    Two of the things I like about habaneros:
    1) They are burning hot in a good way in that the heat is not overly residual. I'd rather have habanero than jalapeno because heat from the latter, while a bit more subdued, lingers longer on my tongue.
    2) They have an awesome taste, enough so that I mix ground habanero together with chocolate syrup and vanilla ice cream; best of both worlds.....pepper heats you up and the milkfat cuts the heat.
    hmmmm:thinking_face:....vanilla habanero chocolate stout (nah)

Tolerance to heat from capsicum is pretty darned subjective. What's perceptible to one could approach in your face to another. It might take more than one shot to hit your bull.
    I hope it works out; the combo sounds pretty tasty to be had while grilling.

26. TooHopTooHandle

TooHopTooHandle Initiate (84) Dec 20, 2016 New York

I have used mangos a couple of times in milkshake ipa and kettle sours. I did 6lbs for 5 gallons and it wasn't in your face, but you could definitely tell they were in there.

27. TooHopTooHandle

TooHopTooHandle Initiate (84) Dec 20, 2016 New York

I also forgot to add. I have used frozen and fresh. I did not notice any flavor or aroma difference between the 2 once it was in the beer. I also used a ninja blender and pureed the crap out of it.

28. chavinparty

chavinparty Initiate (115) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

I believe they float. I used 1 this way and just chopped and dropped it. Didn’t plug up the diptube so I think it floated. Probably safer to bag it so you can pull it. I didn’t get any vegetal taste leaving it in but it didn’t last too long either. hard to say what amount to use but if you want it in the background I would use 1. If you want people to really feel it 2 or 3 I grow a shitload of habaneros every year and the heat of my hot sauce varies quite a bit season to season

VikeMan likes this.
  29. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,240) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Premium

They all float down here

I always put mine into a paint sack with some SS chain links. Same I do with hops in the keg.

Eggman20 and VikeMan like this.