Need info on traditional Germans

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TheChef18, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheChef18

TheChef18 Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2013 Florida

So last night I went to a German beer house here in Tampa. Tried a Zwikel/Keller Bier that I really enjoyed because of its balance of flavor and drinkability. This shocked me as I'm always IPAs, stouts, and sours. Anyone have info on what I should buy at a store like Total Wine that is similar to this style, but won't cost be $7 a bottle (Weihenstephaner)?

2. sisterthelonious

sisterthelonious Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2013 Wisconsin

Weihenstephaner is usually around $3-4 a bottle at Trader Joe's. Their Hefe is the best German beer readily available in the US.

3. Feel_the_Darkness

Feel_the_Darkness Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2012 Virginia

I don't know what prices are like in Florida, but I've never seen a $7 bottle of Weihenstephaner anything. They run for about $3.50 up here for most of their styles.

4. TheChef18

Hmmm maybe it was mislabeled when I went. Very possible. Any others recommended?

5. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,127) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Brewery

Look for St. Georgenbrau Kellerbier or Mahr's Ungespundet. But make sure they are as fresh as possible. What was the name of the Zwickel/Kellerbier you had?

6. HKUSPC40

HKUSPC40 Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2012 Washington

Go to Total Wine and try them all... German beer is fabulous.

utopiajane likes this.
  7. TheChef18

Just looked on their website. I believe it was the
    Lederer Kroko Keller Spezial Bier

8. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,656) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

My local Total Wine & More (Claymont, DE) carries beer from Furst Wallerstein.

I have had three styles from Furst Wallerstein: Classic (Pilsner), Dunkel, and Zwickel. I have enjoyed drinking all three of these styles but my favorite is the Zwickel.

I am also a big fan of Mahr's Ungespundet.

Cheers!

9. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Zealot (525) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Anything from ayinger is good but by the bottle it can be pricey. My advice is to try them all. I haven't had one that was a drainpour.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.