Need New Englanders' Help, please

Discussion in 'New England' started by djgustafson, Aug 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djgustafson

djgustafson Disciple (315) Jul 25, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Hey everyone,

My girlfriend is on a weeklong trip up to York, Maine and she will also be visiting Boston for a bit. I am wondering what beer I should ask her to bring back. I'm looking for anything (good) that isn't available to me in the Buffalo, NY area. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Cheers!

2. Jwale73

Jwale73 Poo-Bah (4,778) Aug 15, 2007 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

What styles do you like? I would recommend anything from Jack's Abby, particularly fresh Hoponius Union. Maine Beer Co. gets a lot of love, but I don't care for the price point. Mystic, Idle Hands and Night Shift might be something worth checking out as well. If she is passing by Portsmouth, NH on her way up the coast, she could hit the Portsmouth Brewery and see what's in the bottle shop. Same goes for Allagash in Portland Maine.

JrGtr, Flashy and nolanz14 like this.
  3. nootch23

nootch23 Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2012 Massachusetts

To piggy back on what Jwale73 recommended I would also suggest stopping by Blue Lobster on the way to Portsmouth Brewing. I haven't had a bad beer by them yet and think they are worth checking out.

4. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Chad

Good suggestions above (Especially Blue Lobster - and if she's going to Portsmouth Brewery it'd be worth also stopping by Earth Eagle right around the corner.) I'd recommend that she checks out Redstone Liquors (off the highway on the way up to Maine) - they have a website with pretty up to date inventory so you could come up with a wishlist to have her take in hand to the stores.

Ganglani likes this.
  5. nolanz14

nolanz14 Initiate (196) Aug 31, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I would also recommend MBC and Jack's Abby. Trillium brewery in Boston produces quality beers and does growler fills which would be nice if she can stop by there.

6. WesFoxlove

WesFoxlove Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2013 Massachusetts

If she's going to be right in York, have her check out "Anthony's Food Shop" (http://anthonysfoodshop.com/) on Route 1 not far from the I95 exit - It's a gas station, but don't be scared away... They've got one heck of a beer selection overall, and typically lots of Maine Beer Co bottles in stock.

Otherwise, I second all the recommendations from above: Blue Lobster on the drive south, and she get you 1-2 bottles from Mystic, Idle Hands, & Night Shift all within about an hour... But I'd prioritize loading up on Jacks Abby bottles around Boston OR out at the brewery.

7. Auror

Auror Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts

List of breweries that distribute to Massachusetts but not New York (per Seekabrew)
    Alchemist [Limited]
    Backlash
    Baxter
    Beer Works
    Berkshire
    Boulevard
    Breckenridge
    Brewmaster Jack
    Bull Jagger
    Cambridge (MA)
    Cape Cod
    Element
    FiftyFifty
    Haverhill
    High & Mighty
    Hook & Ladder
    Idle Hands
    Jack's Abby
    Just Beer (formerly Buzzard's Bay)
    Kennebec River
    Laughing Dog
    Lefty's
    Lexington (Alltech/Kentucky)
    Mayflower
    Mystic
    Nashoba Valley
    Night Shift
    Notch
    Oak Pond
    Opa Opa
    Oxbow [Limited]
    People's
    Port/Lost Abbey
    Rising Tide
    RJ Rockers
    Rock Art
    Sebago
    Slumbrew
    Tommyknocker
    Tuckerman
    White Birch
    Wormtown

And then Maine's exclusives (without Mass shared ones)
    Anchorage
    Black Diamond
    Mission
    Moat Mountain
    Oak Pond
    Oxbow

8. codasnap52

codasnap52 Aspirant (218) Jan 24, 2008 Connecticut

In particular, I'd tell her to seek out any/all of the beers from Night Shift. I've been mightily impressed by their offerings and I'm sure you will really enjoy their Berliner Weiss line-up. It doesn't hurt that they are really nice guys worth supporting, who make quality, wacky beers.

9. millionsuns

millionsuns Initiate (177) Dec 6, 2008 Maine
    Trader

See if she can go just a bit north of York to Tully's in Wells. They have a great list, including some succulent local stuff (Allagash, Maine Beer Company, Marshall Wharf). I'd also recommend Rising Tide's Maine Island Trail Ale. Plus all of the Massachusetts stuff others have mentioned. And some others they haven't mentioned, like Clown Shoes Galactica IPA.

10. djgustafson

djgustafson Disciple (315) Jul 25, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'll pass this info onto her and update you on my reactions to New England's finest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.