Need to use up crushed Munich Malt

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Yalc, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Yalc

Yalc Initiate (114) Nov 5, 2011 Florida

I was given some S-189 Swiss Lager yeast by a friend and would like to use it up in conjunction with 5 lbs of crushed Munich malt. I can buy more base malt as required or just brew with straight Munich but am looking for ideas on combining this yeast with this malt since it is crushed and I need to use it up. Any ideas?

2. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,748) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

Munich malt and lager yeast? Natural combo for some classic lager styles, assuming you are set for lagering in the first place: Dunkel, Vienna Lager, Schwarzbier, Maerzen/Octoberfest, Bocks & Doppelbocks, Baltic Porter. S-189 is capable of some fairly high alcohol lagers, and capable of fermenting higher than the normal lagering temp ranges. But IMO, that's a recipe for five gallons you might not want to drink, if you have no prior experience with the yeast that suggests you could take it to higher temps (or it could be awesome, if you are up for experiments or gambling). I think the Dunkel is where I would want to go, if I were brewing this beer today, to satisfy my craving for a brownish beer that I could drink 2 of without issue.

3. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (842) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

4. Yalc

I will give the Dunkel a whirl.
    3 gal batch
    93% Munich
    5% Aromatic
    2% Blackprinz

25 IBU with Hallertau

Will be roughly 5% abv
    Want a malt bomb, any thoughts?

pweis909 and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  5. billandsuz

billandsuz Disciple (366) Sep 1, 2004 New York

You can use 100% Munich, it has just enough diastatic to get the job done. But it is almost always used in combination with a base malt because it can be too malty.

I love Munich. But it works best at less than 60% imo. If you really want to experience Munich go ahead and brew a beer with it exclusive. That one beer might be the last 100% Munich though.

Cheers

invertalon, jbakajust1 and Yalc like this.
  6. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,249) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Premium

I would cut the Munich with some Pilz and Rauch malt...

Witherby likes this.
  7. Crusader

Crusader Aspirant (240) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

I can't speak to the aromatic malt but I've used up to 80% light Munich in recipes in the past and really love the malt flavor it produces (the remainder was either pilsner or pale). If there's a treshold for Munich where it gets to be too much I at least haven't found it. I therefore don't think you're going overboard with it. Go for it I say.

Yalc likes this.
  8. Yalc

I was wondering if I should add some higher diastatic malt. Is that why, or just for flavor?

9. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,249) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Premium

I would do it for flavor. Malty smoked lager sounds perfect... in fact... I might need to do some lagers soon...

10. billandsuz

billandsuz Disciple (366) Sep 1, 2004 New York

Vienna is similar and works well with Munich but has much more conversion capacity.

Also, light Munich can be quite a bit different than dark Munich. Dark Munich is probably not going to self convert. And to really make matters more confused, comparing one maltsters Light or Dark to another is a bit of a chore.

Cheers.

11. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (842) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

FTFY.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2010/01/04/diastatic-power-and-mashing-your-beer/

Correct.

billandsuz likes this.
  12. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,463) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

If by dark you mean something like Weyermann Munich type 2, it can self convert. I've done SMaSHs with it.

billandsuz likes this.
  13. pweis909

Premium

I think that looks pretty decent. I was going to suggest a recipe or two, and there would have been a lot of similarity to this. EDIT: It does depend a bit on how dark the munich is. For darker munichs, you might want to cut with some pils, or perhaps omit the aromatic, to tone down the maltiness a little. That comes down to personal preferences and assumes you have already developed them.

14. Yalc

It is light Munich, they didn't have dark at my LHBS. That's why I added the aromatic. I really want this malty and am hoping the S-189 will let the malt shine. First time using it.

pweis909 likes this.
  15. Yalc

Went ahead and brewed up a Dunkel per the previously posted recipe. Everything went swimmingly as the Brits say then I boiled for an hour as I have done countless times and instead of 4 qts boil off I got 6. Oh well the OG is now 1.056 instead of the intended 1.047. So, I no longer have a Dunkel on my hands and honestly am not sure what I will have, Super Dunkel? Anyway, waiting to pitch once it comes down into the 50's. I'm in too deep to pull out now!

16. pweis909

Premium

Czech dark lager. Pretend you used saaz.

Or go with uber dunkel. Or mini-bock.

Yalc likes this.
  17. Yalc

I like Uber Dunkel, it is now so named. Thanks!