NEIPAs found in retail stores

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bubseymour, Oct 10, 2018.

1. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,237) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland

Every week, I'm seeing more and more NEIPAs in my local bottle shops. I'm beginning to be able to tick and sample new NE or Hazy (let's please not debate on this post) IPA nearly every week from my local stores now and don't need to travel and stand in line at the handful of national top nano-producers, nor wait only for the annual release of Born Yesterday which for at least 2 years seemed to be the only high quality store option. So what are your favorites (brewery/beer) and your location so we can see distribution range for stores.

Locally in central MD, Here are mine to report in (not exactly top tier NEIPAs but all these are respectable IMO):
    1) I'm getting the "big 3" national ones like SN Hazy Little Thing, Sam Adams NEIPA, New Belgium's Hazy Voodoo Ranger.
    2) This week I found Flying Dog (local Frederick, MD/but wide distro) Night School Hazy IPA that was quite solid.
    3) Several Captain Lawrence (Elmsford NY) options making it down my way (Orbital Tilt and Powder Dreams).
    4) Two Roads (Stratford, CT) has a solid one called Two Juicy that I've found in local shops as well.
    5) Epic - Praise the Haze
    6) FW EX1-Pale - probably the best store/shelf NEIPA I've had, and can't find it in my area of MD but found it in a bottle shop down in Wilmington, NC this summer.
    7) Brookville Beer Farm (small/new MD brewery) - Hop Envy (they're can art is very similar/inspired by Trillium)

2. CFCforlife

CFCforlife Initiate (92) Jun 13, 2015 Ohio

Every trip home to Michigan: Old Nation M-43 off the shelf at the Meijer grocery store for $12.99/4 pack

3. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,087) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

The two best options found on the shelf around here would be
    Single cut and Foreign Objects.
    The biggest seller is probably Thomas Hooker #no filter.

I would even add Half Acre to the list even though most of their ipas are clear they make some good hazy ones.

4. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,126) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

Wyoming has a couple from a couple of breweries. Snake River and Roadhouse, both out of Jackson. Big surprise there. :wink:

TheBrewsky likes this.
  5. spersichilli

spersichilli Initiate (39) Apr 26, 2018 Florida
    Trader

Lord Hobo Virtuoso is really solid. Pseudosue is dope too, it seems like we only get cans down here every two or three months though

6. Junior

Junior Disciple (316) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Old Nation is where it begins and ends for me as well. M-43 and Boss Tweed is back till next spring. I have tried Hazy Little Things and several Michigan only versions and they just do not come close. For NEIPA it's one of these two, trade, or try something at a brewery.

7. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,429) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Man, you're lucky (in a way). To hear the constant complainers on this site tell it their local stores are so jammed with NEIPA that many styles the stores used to carry are no longer available. I'll add Maryland above NY on the list of states where it definitely isn't true.

Around here the best shelf NEIPA available for price, availability, and freshness are from Industrial Arts; Wrench and Torque Wrench. I don't buy Singlecut due to price, nor Foreign Objects for same reason. There are others too, but none as good as those mentioned.

#7 cavedave, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  8. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (1,749) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois

We started getting Foreign Objects here in Chicago...thankfully I was able to buy singles, as they aren't worth the price.

I'm not cheap when it comes to beer, but I am cognizant of quality. There's a disconnect between price & quality on their stuff.

9. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (328) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I've even seen cart horse, boss tweed and green stone in meiers at times. Pretty common beers these days, though not turded out.

brutalfarce likes this.
  10. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (416) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Blue Point Hazy Bastard (hiss! Big Beer!)
    I also recall seeing a Shiner Hazy 6er last week
    Otter Creek also had a 4 pack of 16 oz hazies out a while ago

11. tinoynk

tinoynk Initiate (56) Sep 25, 2010 New York

I'd have to echo CaveDave about Industrial Arts Wrench being the best/most consistent NEIPA on shelves here (NYC for me). Between Singlecut, Finback, Interboro, KCBC, and Threes there's usually a good selection of local fresh NEIPA around here, but the retail markup on those is too much for me to do more than split a can with a friend to try once in a while, especially when it's not difficult to hop on a train and pick up 4 packs from the source, or Grimm or Other Half, .

But you're lucky that the Captain Lawrence Power Dreams makes it out to you there, one of the more underrated series of the style.

12. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (108) Feb 13, 2018 New York

Please don't add as a state to any of your thoughts. No one can speak on behalf of a state, especially one as big as NY. My local stores are jammed with wussy IPAs, which account for the vast majority of incoming new beers

PatrickCT and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  13. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (129) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

So I have seen a black IPA, a red IPA, a west coast and a NEIPA, a Vermont IPA, a session IPA and a brut IPA, but what exactly is a "wussy" Ipa?

14. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,596) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

We have a few here, but here is a lot different than Charlotte. Seems every local brewery is feeling the need to jump into the Haze, a few also from bigger breweries. I guess with the Hazy name comes the bigger price tag. I dont mind paying $18 for Resident Culture or Heist, but I won't pay $15 for beers from some of the smaller breweries. Some are really good, some are just ok, none are bad obviously but then Charlotte brewers are killing this style. They managed to keep the mouth feel soft, they are fairly creamy, but not low bitter OJ bombs, they keep the bitter in.

surfcaster, ben4unc and cavedave like this.
  15. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,429) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Foreign Objects has been hit or miss, and of the five or six of them I've tried I'd say it was about half and half. The one I enjoyed most was Wet Gravity. They are supposed to open a tap room in my town, and until they do I think I won't be drinking any more of their very overpriced beer.

16. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Aspirant (291) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut

Best available in store for my area would be Counterweight Headway, Any thing from Kent Falls (always great) and the aforementioned the Industrial Arts.

Lesser options (my opinion): Hooker No Filter, Two Roads Too Juicy

Option to skip: Trailblazer....

I'll admit that I usually head to the source for NEIPA....Tree House .

keithmurray likes this.
  17. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (108) Feb 13, 2018 New York

the kind with milk and fruit and vanilla

dennis3951, SFACRKnight, AWA and 2 others like this.
  18. ryan1788a5

ryan1788a5 Poo-Bah (1,879) Nov 27, 2009 Massachusetts

Recently came across Foreign Objects for the first time. Tough to take a brewery seriously when the name sounds like something that gets pulled out of an overly-kinky patient’s butt in the ER. I really wonder if they actually thought that through before settling on Foreign Objects.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  19. moshea

moshea Devotee (459) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan

It is usually fresh in Meijers but it seems pretty "turded" at the party stores around metro Detroit

for the rest of the country

Party Store
    Michigan slang term that describes a small convenience store that sells soda, beer, liquor, snacks such as potato chips and pizza, small grocery section, some household goods such as plastic cups and paper plates, flavored blunt wraps, doo rags, lotto, check cashing, wife beaters, hookahs etc....

20. thedaveofbeer

Trader

Oh yeah, I forgot Milkshake IPA . LOL

21. thedaveofbeer

Trader

Party store? i like that- definitely better than New England's "packie"

moshea likes this.
  22. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,536) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

We're starting to see local shelves in Kansas City turn more into a row of 16oz cans vs. the 12oz, 375mL, 22oz, and 750mL bottles of the past. It's still far from shelf domination, but the creep is starting to become apparent. The two breweries that make up most of this transition of format and style: Decadent and Evil Twin. Of those two, the one beer that stands out is Pacific Punch.

There are many regional breweries participating, and depending on which side of the state line you're on, you can access different varieties. Sierra Nevada's Hazy Little Thing, Sam Adam's New England IPA, Deutsche's Fresh Haze, and New Belgium's Voodoo Haze come to mind with Epic's take on the style available a short drive away to the adjacent state. Sierra Nevada's offering is my favorite from that bunch.

Boulevard has recently opted to bottle three of their test IPAs from the past year, two of which are hazy/NE style. I've only had one of the three, and it was on tap so I can't speak to the bottle quality. That release may have only been local despite them being a regional brewery.

Fun fact: New Belgium's Voodoo Haze was the only hazy beer I saw while in Japan. I didn't see it in a store, but I saw someone drinking it at the airport. Pretty wild. I wonder how it held up, but I didn't ask for a sip.

bret717 and BayAreaJoe like this.
  23. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Zealot (545) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Trader

Best on the shelves around here are Revision's hazies. Others that put out a lot of good hazies are Alvarado Street, Brouwerij West, and Mikkeller SD - but they're all usually more expensive and at times can be a miss.

I'd have to also go with SN Hazy Little Thing as my favorite cheap, widely-available hazy.

Harrison8 likes this.
  24. Amendm

Amendm Disciple (307) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Premium

Lord Hobo up in Plymouth has Virtuoso along with Boomsauce, Hobo Life is a good session NEIPA.
    Proclamation Ale Co.(Tendrill) and Revival Brewing Co.
    (You Thirsty) are just down the road a bit and Wormtown
    (Ales for ALS) is a few miles north.
    I live in a target-rich environment, I buy in Northern R.I. and S.E. Mass.,Franklin and Bellingham mostly.
    Maybee someday I'll take the hour drive to Treehouse.

flaskman likes this.
  25. mkh012

mkh012 Zealot (524) May 7, 2015 New Jersey

I've seen Industrial Arts Wrench in fridges here in NJ. Also Singlecut and Icarus beers. NEIPA distro is getting pretty decent. Usually, though, there are only 1-2 solid NEIPAs that are actually fresh (<6 weeks old).

RobNewton likes this.
  26. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (419) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

I gotta say Hazy Little Thing and SA’s NEIPA are super solid and easy to find. I didn’t think two juicy was anywhere close to the other two. I didn’t know flying dog came out with one, I’ll have to check it out!

27. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Zealot (500) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Premium

There's a huge variety of shelf NEIPAs in NYC stores. Some, but not nearly so much on Long Island, at least not in the stores closest to home that I shop at most frequently. Stuff from Barrier, Capt. Lawrence, Mikkeler, SA, Singlecut, SN.

DEdesings57 and mkh012 like this.
  28. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,290) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Premium

Well, I think it probably varies more than we think. We all can only say what we see in the stores we visit. You are happy with selection where you shop, and overall I am pretty happy with mine. That is all I can talk about, so I'll not use any generalization that I'm speaking for MA or RI as a state - only where I shop.

Being more or less in NEIPA Central here, I'd honestly expect to see many more of them in stores than I have observed. I would certainly not say they are the dominant style nor have they made any other beers less available. There are also a fair number of "imports" (SIngle Cut, Finback, Foreign Objects, etc) making appearances as well, so New England is getting NEIPAs from outside the region - go figure. The "foreign beers" do knock some others off the shelf from time to time, but once they have their moment in the sun things seem to revert back.

It also varies store to store. The better managed stores seem to rotate them through. Some stores I would guess maybe 20% of the beers on shelf are IPA or a variant of pale ale, but only a fraction of them are NEIPA. That may be because the breweries are selling on premises rather than through distribution. There are sooooooo many more NEIPAs available in my area than you will ever find on a store shelf since they don't have to sell there.

29. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,639) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Larry, can you name some 'NEIPA' beers that are brewed in New England (e.g., MA) that are available on your local beer retailers' shelves? Are they on the same level as the beers from Tree House, Trillium,...?

Cheers!

30. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,440) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Honestly, for as much as people crap on them, Lord Hobo are making some of my favorite shelfie NEIPAs. Otter Creek's are damn good, too. I buy a lot of Mikkeller. Barrier is another top favorite. I've also been finding Singlecut more regularly, but at $22-$25 a four pack I almost never buy them.

mkh012 likes this.
  31. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (2,227) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Premium Trader

You can also get that in the Detroit airport.

And it is uber fresh.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  32. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,596) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Don't like Milk and Vanilla, don't think I've had a fruit. I don't like cherry, tastes like an infection. I killed myself for Cherry Rye, it was ok, but expensive.

33. LeRose

Premium

Proclamation is a pretty good brewery and their hazeboi brews show up in cans sometimes. Captain's Daughter is arguably within the style parameters and is one of my favorites. Some of Mystic's offerings once in a while. Lawson's I have seen. Two Roads. Lord Hobo. Cambridge Brewing Company. Wormtown. I will have to take better notice, I suppose. I remember seeing some from Maine, CT, NH, but not on the regular.

Your question makes my point, I think. I spend a lot of time beer shopping and am having a hard time coming up with the locally and regionally produced examples. The style isn't dominating the shelves and coolers in my stores, even if you include the "foreign" beers. Most are sold on the brewery premises, and I would wager some of them are as good as any of the "icons".

You are asking the wrong person about Trillium and Treehouse. I have tried several of Trillium's offerings and I think they all taste the same. The Treehouse beer I had Sunday was as fresh as I would ever get it and while it was brewed well and true to style, it left me unimpressed. I believe I rated it fairly, but I really did not care for it. I dont have any problem rating to style and saying I didn't personally like a beer, so yes these brewers make world class beers that I don't "like". Except Trillium Big Sprang...still not a kolsch style beer. ;-)

34. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (527) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

I agree with everything LeRose wrote, but since I like the style a bit more than he appears to (and live in a different part of the state) I thought I'd list a few other quite good (imo) options that do show up regularly on the shelves. I know that @JackHorzempa asked for examples "as good as" Treehouse/Trill but I'm reluctant to wade into that specific water for fear of getting side tracked by people saying "you're crazy, those aren't nearly as good!"

Suffice to say that all of the following are readily available to varying degrees, some of them have ardent fans and command the same price as Tree/Trill, and they'll all (for me) more than adequately scratch the itch if I don't feel like shlepping to the breweries - which is usually. These are all based in MA.

-Exhibit A
    -Springdale
    - Lamplighter
    - Castle Island
    - Nightshift
    - Whirpool is essentially the poster child for a session strength NE IPA
    - Banded - their Veridian is only $11 a 4 pack and is one of my go to singles)
    - Fort Hill - notably, all their stuff is less than $10 a sixer of 12 ounce cans, even doubles)
    - Lord Hobo - this is one I'm not personally a big fan of, but I felt it would be remiss not to mention them given how many people like them and how widely available they are. And some of their newer offerings have even won over some skeptics.

There's also another tier of stuff that isn't exactly regularly on the shelves in a wide area, but is still sporadically available without going to the brewery. This would include things like Idle Hands, Backlash, the Tap (Solar Plexus is my favorite DIPA not named heady topper), and Mystic. LeRose mentioned Mystic too and it's worth noting that they are really becoming a big deal.

It's a somewhat different conversation, but it might be worth mentioning that on the bigger brewery front Long Trail, Harpoon, and Wachusett all have widely available, and cheap, NE IPA options now that are better than either Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada to my mind. Maybe a harbinger of things to come?

So if you like NE IPAs I think there's a very good array of local options that are relatively easy to find - at least closer to the city where I live. But as LeRose alluded to, I personally feel like I have more options than ever when I go to the store so I don't feel as if that's come with a price. And, for that matter, there are still no shortage of west coast IPAs to be had, even if they're not well represented in the newer offerings (Larry, Green Monsta, Route 101, Be Hoppy, Greenhead, Flower Child, and Hoponius Union all still move a lot of volume). And heck, you can even still scratch an English itch with Harpoon IPA available literally everywhere and Ipswich and Berkshires versions still on many shelves.

#34 meefmoff, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    JackHorzempa, cavedave and LeRose like this.
  35. LeRose

Premium

Thanks for adding this content - like I said, I notice them but I don't pay much attention. When I want one, I'll grab one to try and I will taste 'em at the brewery, but I am certainly not the Hazebro poster child.

Ah - Castle Island just occurred to me as well.

Mystic is interesting - thought they were a really good "under the radar (or bridge, maybe)" brewery even before they started making milkshakes - since they are still making other things, looks like those milkshakes are paying the bills, though.

#35 LeRose, Oct 12, 2018
    meefmoff and cavedave like this.
  36. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (527) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

Yeah, mystic is a really interesting glass half full/empty case. They were super well regarded, but fairly small, when they were only brewing belgians. They blew up a bit when they added IPAs and ive read that their belgian offerings have suffered. But at the same time they now regularly can and distribute their most popular belgian (table beer) presumably due to their new found cash stream.

Also, you mentioned milk shakes and its interesting that they are one of the relatively few breweries up here to make a move into lactose. Those are still a pretty niche offering here and to my knowledge none of the other places i mentioned make one. I`ve never actually tried thiers as ive only had their "regular" neipas.

ETA: i made a mistake in my original post as i forgot Banded is from Maine.

#36 meefmoff, Oct 12, 2018
  37. LeRose

Premium

Banded..damn that imported stuff!

The missus and I talked with Bryan Greenhagen on our first visit to Mystic. We had no idea who we were talking to, but it was well over an hour before he gave us his card. He was clearly into the science of fermentation and explained the reasoning behind his fermentation tank geometry. We loved Auerbach's Rauchbier, Day of Doom, and Descendent. I will say Day of Doom is absolutely not the same beer it once was, so I fear you may be correct. When we talked to him, he never seemed like he was interested in trend chasing and wanted to march to his own beat. Even back then he wasn't brewing mainstream styles.

meefmoff likes this.
  38. Jay_P22

Jay_P22 Aspirant (221) Mar 17, 2016 Virginia

Lucky. It's a great beer and probably the best shelf NEIPA

39. Tamarack

Tamarack Initiate (50) Sep 22, 2016 Massachusetts

My store gets Exhibit A's Hair Raiser DIPA and Cat's Meow IPA along with one or two rotating ones every week and they honestly stand toe to toe with any of the big names.

JackHorzempa and seakayak like this.
  40. Tamarack

Tamarack Initiate (50) Sep 22, 2016 Massachusetts

If you cop a can of the Von Lune pilsner from Mystic you won't be sorry. Outrageous quality Czech nefiltrovane pils