Nelson v. Mosaic

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mambossa, May 10, 2016.

?

Nelson or Mosaic?

1. Nelson

56 vote(s)
    41.5%
  2. Mosaic

79 vote(s)
    58.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mambossa

mambossa Aspirant (241) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio

Personally, the two most interesting and desirable hops to me.

While Nelson is typically described as resembling the NZ Sauvignon Blanc grape (the only style of white wine I enjoy), time and time again I find Mosaic more resembling of a NZ Sauv Blanc with its intense herbal, funky, and earthy charactaristics as well as a good dose of passionfruit and lemony bliss.

Wine talk aside...Both being very relevant hop strains for single-hop brews nowadays, which is your pick and why?

DoctorZombies and ONovoMexicano like this.
  2. BenwayPHD

BenwayPHD Aspirant (289) Sep 4, 2014 California

I love mosaic, although lately it has been too dank and heavy for my taste. I think these days i prefer Nelson. It has the same tropical (papaya, mango) notes that Mosaic hits, but I always get a little bit of a peppery or spicy flavor, similar to Amarillo, that I have grown to really enjoy.

phillyhops and ONovoMexicano like this.
  3. stickboy1125

stickboy1125 Initiate (162) Jan 28, 2012 Virginia
    Deactivated

I see significantly more beers with Mosaic hops vs Nelson, Nelson hopped beers are few and far between in my area, especially single hopped Nelson beers.

4. Mshaw78

Mshaw78 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2016 Virginia

I voted mosaic for two reasons. One, I have never had a single hop nelson to really see it shine on its own. Secondly, it wouldn't have mattered what the other option was, I would pick mosaic.

donspublic likes this.
  5. SteveSexton203

SteveSexton203 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 Connecticut

Mosiac is the clear winner here and not even a real competition either.

6. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,507) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I don't like Moasic as a single hop , I liken it far better as a blend, it's got that catty element if left alone. Nelson kinda reminds me of Centennial, I know I couldn't tell them a part, my palate isn't that sensitive, it would come down to which beer I liked best. Low on the bitter, kinda an orange/ tangerine hit, it's a great hop for a single hop beer.

7. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,570) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Voted Nelson. I think it marries better with west coast citrusy hops rendering more complex tropical fruit and dank layers.
    Mosaic all on its own is a little one dimensional for me.

8. Tonyjenlasc

Tonyjenlasc Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2015 New Jersey

Mosaic without a doubt. Nelson, when done right, is great too though.

9. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (351) Apr 29, 2012 California

I don't like Mosaic on its own. As a home brewer, I have used it and didn't quite care for it (it's the blueberry and simcoe together that is kind of meh to me). That being said I have tasted some examples that were good. However, Nelson is just so unique and I have had great success with it as a home brewer in various recipes.

10. SRBush1974

SRBush1974 Aspirant (279) Apr 18, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Another vote for mosaic!

Nelson is good as a single hop (i.e. Other Half), but can be great used as a dry hop (07750!).

11. skleice

skleice Aspirant (283) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Tie IMO. Both great, but different.

12. tillmac62

tillmac62 Poo-Bah (1,794) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Nelson by a nose.

cavedave likes this.
  13. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,834) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Nelson, everytime I think of the other, I can only think of Terrapin's Mosaic, which I wasn't crazy about for some reason

14. Hyptochrons

Hyptochrons Meyvn (1,367) Jul 12, 2015 Massachusetts

have to say mosaic ... the dankness that comes from mosaic just perfectly compliments the citrus and tropical notes.

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  15. thepenguin

thepenguin Devotee (460) Aug 8, 2010 Massachusetts

Went with Nelson. These are both among the best varieties out there today for hoppy beers and I love em dearly, but as one poster noted there can be a bit of an herbaceous catty/gooseberry note with Mosaic that I'm not in love with. If offered both I'd take the single-hop Nelson beer.

16. bigbadwanger

bigbadwanger Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2015 Iowa

nelson by far, mosaics are everywhere. TG Zeelander is my favorite Nelson and imo the best Nelson there is.

Nuks likes this.
  17. Hwk-I-St8

Hwk-I-St8 Initiate (89) Jan 22, 2016 Iowa

I heard that the new Scorpius Morchella from TG is Nelson hopped. I'd believe it based on the nose and taste. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if it was a blend of these two hops. Regardless, it's fantastic. Sosus is single hopped with Mosaic. I'm hoping that hits distro today. It was a great beer the last time they released it.

Back to the poll....I didn't vote because I've had beers with each that were excellent. I prefer a world with both.

18. ElijahSF

ElijahSF Initiate (177) Aug 30, 2013 California

thuey, VABA and nswan like this.
  19. Nuks

Nuks Initiate (58) Jun 18, 2014 Illinois

I remember driving 5 hours to TG, trying Psuedo, liking it ok, then being blown away by Zeelander. Ended up drinking 2 more of them that trip and buying them whenever I can find it in Madison, WI.

Mosaic to me just is very one note, and it leaves a weird bitterness I don't care for as much as most people who enjoy it do. It's fine, and some of my favorite beers ever are mosaic and (insert other hop), but on it's own I don't care for it much.

20. batch19

batch19 Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2014 Connecticut

phillyhops likes this.
  21. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,484) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Nelson by a mile. From a taste perspective mosaic comes across as onions and chives to me. While I like that in small doses, by itself it is off putting. Nelson comes across as juicy and fruity to me, and I enjoy it in saisons especially. There's just no room for chives in my beer.

22. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,656) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

My latest purchase of Founders Mosaic Promise (a few month ago) was heavy with dank; much to my surprise! I was not a fan of this particular release. A prior purchase of Mosaic Promise in 2015 was much more enjoyable for me.

I have homebrewed IPAs which featured Mosaic hops in the past (2014 - 2015) and those beers were prominent in berry fruit flavors.

Cheers!

http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-beer-sunday-week-579.400428/#post-4636629

23. Fox82791

Fox82791 Devotee (469) Jun 20, 2014 New York
    Trader

I voted Nelson only because mosaic can be extremely dank and have a broccoli taste

24. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,217) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

It's literally like comparing apples and oranges for me, and I absolutely love both apples and oranges.

25. phillyhops

phillyhops Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 New Jersey

Nelson has been more consistently enjoyable for me recently. I love mosaic, but it can be a bit too dank for me sometimes. Nelson can have a lot of similar notes but is a bit more vibrant and can result in a bright, pungent ipa

26. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Devotee (470) Nov 29, 2006 Colorado

I went with Nelson- mostly from my home brewing experience and tastings of homebrew with either variety, and also the commercial examples I've had in recent memory. I recently tried Rico Sauvign from Against the Grain and loved that- it was so complex, interesting, and flavorful. Most of the beers I've recently had, including Station 26's mosaic single hop IPA, had some cattiness/astringency that I really didn't care for, and had more garlic-type flavor and aroma that I would care for too.

SO , Nelson is hands down- and as I mentioned, I've had some great homebrews with Nelson involved too- especially a buddy's double ipa a couple of years ago that was all nelson.

27. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Meyvn (1,089) Nov 3, 2013 California

Mosiac, I'm a fan of the Dankness.

28. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Meyvn (1,311) Aug 16, 2009 New Jersey
    Society

i like mosaic but not single hopped

29. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,938) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Society

Nelson is one of my 2 favorite hops. Not too into Mosaic. Easy call for me.

30. Hoppy_Time

Hoppy_Time Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2016 Maine

Definitely Mosaic for me. I'm a big fan of beers that are heavily hopped with Mosaic like Bissel Brothers LUX or Mayflower Brewing's Alden. I think it adds a lot of interesting character when used with other hops, especially with Galaxy, Simcoe, Cascade and Chinook. My friend once described it as the flavor embodiment of chopping through the jungle with a machete. And probably my favorite thing about Mosaic is the way the flavor profile varies between beers and with different food pairings, for me it gets a lot of berry character when paired with smoky foods, dank oniony flavors when paired with cheesy food, and lush tropical flavors when paired with savory dishes like a steak smothered with gravy and mushrooms. There are just no other hops that do that for me, it is hands down my favorite hop. (Oh and my favorite thing to pair a good heavy Mosaic beer with is sausage and feta pizza, now that is all I want).

31. mecmd

mecmd Savant (934) Jan 7, 2012 Tennessee
    Society Trader

i like both. Probably prefer Nelson as a single hop but love Mosaic when combined with Citra e.g. Surly Todd the Axe Man and Alpine Hop Boxed. Anyone know of other beers that showcase these hops together?

32. brentusaurus

brentusaurus Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2012 California

A lot of my favorite accessible beers have mosaic (Grunion, St. Archer Mosaic, Blazing World, Orderville) and I love that dankness+fruitiness. I even love the onion/herbal.

33. Boat

Boat Initiate (75) Jul 29, 2014 Minnesota

I feel lucky that a local brewery (Fulton) just re-released Insurrection IPA that is brewed with Nelson and Mosaic hops. Now I don't have to choose between the two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.