Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

News New Albion....again, now in cans

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by BeerVikingSailor, Sep 5, 2017.

1. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Defender (659) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio

cavedave and thebeers like this.
  2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,176) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Supporter Beer Trader

Awesome! Too bad I won't see any.

3. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (724) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I will definitely try this beer. It is amazing how some historic truths drop out of public view. And it is also interesting how the revival of awareness and brands strikes a chord. They generally never come close to the original. I drank New Albion years ago and I liken New River Pale Ale to such an iconic piece of beer history. Kenny lived here in town and was a great guy. He made great beer. Pure and simple. His mission piece is something that should be standardized. It just so happens that I have on my beloved New River Pale Ale tee shirt from the late 90s.
    http://www.newriverbrewingcompany.com/story.html
    http://www.greensboro.com/obituaries/article_bc815532-bf48-5a75-a56b-b4fb9a32112c.html?mode=jqm

#3 rgordon, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  4. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (8,876) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I'm excited... but $32 for the t-shirt?

5. JimKal

JimKal Devotee (479) Jul 31, 2011 North Carolina

I tried New Albion a few years ago when Sam Adams produced it. I don't know if that was close to the original or not. While I thought it was OK it really wasn't a repeat for me.

QuakeAttack likes this.
  6. LuskusDelph

LuskusDelph Aspirant (279) May 1, 2008 New Jersey

I had the exact opposite reaction.
    I had the original back when it first came out, and had the 'Sam Adams' version when it was briefly available...and I thought that the SA version was very faithful to the original, and it was quite good...and a real relief from a lot of the overdone crap being sold as 'craft' nowadays.

jesskidden likes this.
  7. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Devotee (442) Mar 19, 2012 California

Same here. I enjoyed the beer, but wasn't worth a repeat visit.

8. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,231) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Not wowed by last iteration, have enjoyed other bring backs much more. Will definitely try when/if I can.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.