News New Albion....again, now in cans

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by BeerVikingSailor, Sep 5, 2017.

1. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Crusader (715) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio

cavedave and thebeers like this.
  2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,839) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Awesome! Too bad I won't see any.

3. rgordon

rgordon Champion (800) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I will definitely try this beer. It is amazing how some historic truths drop out of public view. And it is also interesting how the revival of awareness and brands strikes a chord. They generally never come close to the original. I drank New Albion years ago and I liken New River Pale Ale to such an iconic piece of beer history. Kenny lived here in town and was a great guy. He made great beer. Pure and simple. His mission piece is something that should be standardized. It just so happens that I have on my beloved New River Pale Ale tee shirt from the late 90s.
    http://www.newriverbrewingcompany.com/story.html
    http://www.greensboro.com/obituaries/article_bc815532-bf48-5a75-a56b-b4fb9a32112c.html?mode=jqm

#3 rgordon, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  4. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,517) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I'm excited... but $32 for the t-shirt?

5. JimKal

JimKal Zealot (514) Jul 31, 2011 North Carolina

I tried New Albion a few years ago when Sam Adams produced it. I don't know if that was close to the original or not. While I thought it was OK it really wasn't a repeat for me.

QuakeAttack likes this.
  6. LuskusDelph

LuskusDelph Aspirant (290) May 1, 2008 New Jersey

I had the exact opposite reaction.
    I had the original back when it first came out, and had the 'Sam Adams' version when it was briefly available...and I thought that the SA version was very faithful to the original, and it was quite good...and a real relief from a lot of the overdone crap being sold as 'craft' nowadays.

jesskidden likes this.
  7. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Devotee (488) Mar 19, 2012 California

Same here. I enjoyed the beer, but wasn't worth a repeat visit.

8. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,455) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Not wowed by last iteration, have enjoyed other bring backs much more. Will definitely try when/if I can.