New App Ideas

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by beaulabauve, Sep 27, 2019.

1. beaulabauve

beaulabauve Disciple (336) Aug 5, 2011 Louisiana

How about an app that will tell you what beers are in stock at any store you go to?

2. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Defender (616) May 29, 2011 Florida
    Trader

An app that lists your cellar and differentiates what is open for trade. One can search for a beer and state/region of users who have that beer in their cellar. Then they can message that person to lineup trade. Trade happens and traders rate each other.

stevepat and beaulabauve like this.
  3. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (599) Mar 28, 2009 California

Can you also add the bottle date?

An inventory app would be great but it would be highly inaccurate. I assume that based on the fact that retail stores can’t keep their inventory accurate. Who’s going to keep updating their system and making sure it matches the app?

stevepat, beergoot and nc41 like this.
  4. beaulabauve

beaulabauve Disciple (336) Aug 5, 2011 Louisiana

How about linking it to the distrubutors? They can tell you where the beer has been distributed to with the freshness date?

5. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,938) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Retailers can’t even keep up with their inventory nor do they monitor the canning dates all that closely. To expect them to feed accurate info to the app impossible.

raynmoon and BrewsOverHoes like this.
  6. GetMeAnIPA

I don’t expect them. I don’t even think they could keep track of inventory. I am just throwing out ideas that would be good. Was this supposed to be a real focus group?

Junior and nc41 like this.
  7. nc41

Trader

Lol, probably not, more like a Christmas list.

But with bar codes why not could they be encoded with a canning date? The technology is certainly there, it would require participating retailers to have the ability to scan and download the info.

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  8. GetMeAnIPA

We landed a man on the 40 years ago but we can’t bottle date beer?!!

Junior and nc41 like this.
  9. nc41

Trader

Of course they can , but if they do and you know it’s old product you won’t buy it. If more refused to buy undated beer it might tilt that a bit.

10. GetMeAnIPA

What actually might be possible is the stocking date. While it doesn’t align with the BOD one could tell how long it’s been shitting on the shelf.

nc41 likes this.
  11. magilldm

magilldm Initiate (59) May 2, 2015 Pennsylvania

This already exists. 2 distributors by me have apps powered by City Hive that are fairly up to date, and they even do delivery to your house. I know Total Wine updates inventory on Untappd and includes pricing as well

beaulabauve likes this.
  12. nc41

Trader

The canning code would have to happen at the manufacture level I guess.

13. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,363) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

How about the ability for consumers to scan the barcode or date and input it, it would be comical to see a lot of the data inputted.

stevepat and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  14. GetMeAnIPA

That could be really cool. Pull up your area and see where the freshest X beer is. Sometimes I want a specific ipa, let’s just say Union Jack. I could search stores and see if there are any fresh ones around.

Fresh beer locator app.

15. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,872) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Beermenus.com?

16. stevepat

stevepat Crusader (772) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

An app where people can post/recommend blends of beers. Obviously focused on breweries at first but would have to have a "live" element that could make it work for recommended blends in a particular bars board

17. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,327) Sep 24, 2007 Vatican City
    Trader

I would like to see an app that tells folks to just use the fucking website.

Our phones are powerful enough, and most sites are mobile-friendly enough, that apps seem outdated already.

stevepat likes this.