Dismiss Notice
We're bringing our Belgian Beer Fest back to Boston June 22nd & 23rd!

Learn More

Site New BA Score, Histograms & More Updates (Part Two)

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (296) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

Ratings over certain time frames? Omg. That’s been on my wishlist for years. I tend to look at the last few pages of reviews to get a better current gauge than a beer that’s been on BA for 10 years.

It also goes into the same context of looking at certain seasonal releases year after year basically having their own ba score instead of it all being clumped together. If we could filter review scores? Wow. Game changer.

I’m guessing algorithms or formulas may need some fine tuning. Im looking at some beers on the top 100 ipa list. There are some that are ranked higher on the top 100 list but lower on the beer profiles beer ranking page. This can lead to confusion as there is zero context as to what a 850 ranked beer really is ( when on the other list a beer ahead of it is listed as 920 on the beer ranking page. I saw this at least twice on a quick look.

I’d have to look for specifics again but how can a 77 ranked ipa sit at 920 overall and the 78 ranked ipa sit at 850 overall. The beer ranking either needs to be more clear (what it’s out of) or have the beer style ranking along side of it. Numbers alone without context are cool for s select few but utterly useless for the masses.

*the numbers and ranks are used as examples. I’ll have to dig up the real numbers if people care for specifics.
    onirampage likes this.
  2. Todd

Todd Founder (5,455) Aug 23, 1996 California

This really has nothing to do with these updates and is explained in the sidebar on the Top Beers pages; lists are still generated using our weighted ranking system/algorithm, which is what the beer's ranking is also based on.
    FBarber likes this.
  3. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (4,693) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Premium Member

Thanks for listening. This is much better and I appreciate the histogram but it does take up a lot of space. Putting it as a drop down might make it easier for those who do not want as much information while keeping it accessible for those of us who like it. Its not that important. I like what you have come up with. Thanks!
    Mike and Todd like this.
  4. dzan

dzan Initiate (119) Aug 13, 2017 California
    Beer Trader

I'll adapt to whatever the new system is.

I guess I just don't understand the difference between having a beer BA Score ratio of 4.72/5 vs a BA Score percentage showing a 94.
  5. zid

zid Savant (908) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

If you don't understand the difference, then why would you want it one way vs the other? :slight_smile:
    LeRose and Squire like this.
  6. darktronica

darktronica Meyvn (1,230) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Thanks for being so gracious in taking the community feedback under consideration and iterating. This new design is significantly cleaner and communicates more clearly, even making changes you didn't note in the post (such as reverting the "Alstroms" score to the "Bros score"). The histogram seems to be a big hit, and I'll pile on in agreement. It is a great way to see the degree of spread or consensus visually and should be more understandable to many than the pDev.

Todd and Mike like this.
  7. dzan

dzan Initiate (119) Aug 13, 2017 California
    Beer Trader

I'm allowed to prefer one way over another right?

Easier and quicker to calculate scores out of 100 I believe.
    4/5 is 80%. Why not just show 80.

Either way a new system is in place and BA is moving on. I'm fine with it. I'll stop bringing up old systems.
  8. Lucular

Lucular Meyvn (1,452) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Beer Trader

This is the single best and most awesome feature change on BA since I joined the site, and it's not even close. Amazing job guys!!!!!!
    Mike and Todd like this.
  9. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,255) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Premium Member

I like this revision a lot - I did not like the "liking" percentage thing at all and am glad to see it was short-lived. I like a lot of beers that would have fallen below the threshold for "liking". I just had one last week, in fact, that I liked considerably better than I could score. Also never had much use for the "out of 100" score either other than a rough indicator of classification.

The histograms are a fantastic addition - good, quick visual representation of the overall scoring and where my rating fits in the grand scheme of things. Bet there's a huge number of beers sitting with the most ratings right around 4.0 these days...
    VABA, SABERG, Squire and 4 others like this.
  10. Mike

Mike Senior Web Developer (751) Nov 17, 2010 New Hampshire
    Staff Beer Trader

I have made an update to the histogram so that it will update instantly whenever you add, edit or delete your rating. This is most apparent on pages where there aren't a lot of ratings.

Please note that it may take some for this change to work its way through the cache. You may be able to speed up the process by clearing your web browser cache (history) and restarting your web browser.
    cjgiant, thebeers and Todd like this.
  11. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (3,967) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Great update, the old system (before part 1) was getting fairly antiquated. Now everything is a lot more clear and makes sense from a raw data standpoint. Nice work, cheers
    Todd likes this.
  12. Sludgeman

Sludgeman Poo-Bah (1,780) Aug 17, 2012 District of Columbia
    Premium Member Beer Trader

And to be clear, when I am on a brewery's place page, the histogram still represents the ratings distribution for all of that brewery's beers (not place ratings)?
  13. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (666) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I dig the histogram chart, I think. If I read it correctly it is showing how many ratings there are and of what rating? If true I really like this. It really helps weed out the bottom and high top end to show more where a beer sits.

Squire and Todd like this.
  14. Stockatron

Stockatron Disciple (323) Apr 13, 2017 New York

I do like a good histogram.
  15. Dogfishnoggen

Dogfishnoggen Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2013 Indiana

My opinion is that I would like to go back to the 1 to 100 grading it is much more discrete than a 1 to 5 rating and easier to interpret.discriminating an 85 from a 92 is easy for 4.18 from a 4.3 it's hard.
  16. Todd

It wasn't a 1-100 grade or a percentage. Please see the updates and replies for more on this.
    FBarber likes this.
  17. PuffySAJ

PuffySAJ Initiate (114) Sep 14, 2017 South Carolina

Todd likes this.
  18. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (3,815) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia

How does one get a "Senior Web Developer" badge? :wink:

And can I keep Poobah along with it? I'd like to have a screenshot of both :nerd:

(sorry for the stupid little sidetrack)
  19. Todd

You'd have to be hired as a full-time employee to get a job title assigned to your profile.
  20. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (3,815) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia

Figures! Though I am on here an awful lot, that term "employee" ruins it. :disappointed

Oh well, I'll keep doing my best to add data to the histograms!
  21. rrs

rrs Initiate (122) Aug 8, 2015 Maryland

For all of the readers and beer aficionados out there I understand the ratings. From a simple marketing perspective the new rating system is awful, people that see a rating of 5 do not understand the numbers, a number below a 5 may even make some people pass on a fantastic beer. If I have a sign at the bar describing a beer that BA gives a 100 World Class people are going to buy that beer or perhaps if it it is a 9 out of 10 that might be acceptable. You would need to put a sign up explaining the ratings. A 5, not so much. Now I am looking at a beer that is on tap and it falls from a 100 to a 4.16, 100 will sell beer, a 4.16 not so much because people just are not that aware of multiple rating systems. People buying a pint will just want to look at a number that is high and makes sense to them. They do want to have to think a lot about it. I am going to look at multiple sites now and choose the site which markets the beer the best for sales. Sorry, I am still an avid reader but to sell beer we have to have stuff that makes sense to the public. One thing you may want to update is say a 4.0 to 5.0 is outstanding to a 0-1.0 being awful, just a thought that might add clarity.

tmac likes this.
  22. tmac

tmac Initiate (141) Oct 21, 2005 New Hampshire

It looks like I'm in the minority here - I really miss the 0-100 scores and this change significantly reduces the sites utility for me. Why not keep the 0-100 alongside the 5 pt scale?
  23. papposilenus

papposilenus Crusader (752) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

I JUST suddenly realized how brilliant the histograms are. I think I love you.
    Mike and Todd like this.
  24. Todd

You can crush on @Mike for that one.
    Bitterbill, Shanex and papposilenus like this.
  25. papposilenus

papposilenus Crusader (752) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

If @Mike can add a time axis so I can see how a brewer's aggregate ratings develop over time I'll have his babies.
  26. Kemblain

Kemblain Initiate (187) Jan 18, 2018 New York
    Beer Trader

I would love to be able to see the individual averages of the look/smell/taste/feel/overall ratings, in addition to the combined score.
    seakayak likes this.