New Beer Distributors (NYC) Closing

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by gory4d, Mar 7, 2018.

1. gory4d

gory4d Defender (657) Apr 14, 2007 Texas

Per their FB page, they're open a few more days, 50% off everything on their shelves. The Bowery Boogie website cites high taxes and declining sales: https://www.boweryboogie.com/2018/01/new-beer-distributors-leaving-chrystie-street-end-february/ - I'm sorry to see them go, all in all. They made some missteps over the years (think the Westvleteren 12 release debacle), but they always had good stuff you couldn't find elsewhere. That was where I got a growler of what I think is my favorite beer ever, the Lang-Brau Amber Marzen, fresh from a wooden keg that Shelton Bros. brought over from Germany. Ah well, sound like an NYC real estate story.

zid likes this.
  2. frozyn

frozyn Defender (633) May 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Damn. Didn't make it there often enough -- they always had something interesting worth buying. Even found a 2 year vertical of Ten Fidy 4 packs that was way underpriced. Going to have to stop by tomorrow and see what's left.

3. joehill

joehill Initiate (170) Apr 11, 2008 New York
    Trader

I’m the one who bought the Westvleteren box set from them when they were telling everyone they didn’t have it. I prob still have the picture of the receipt I posted somewhere. I think as shady as they were it was still even shadier that BA deleted all those posts without even an acknowledgement or explanation

4. joehill

joehill Initiate (170) Apr 11, 2008 New York
    Trader

I wonder how much Pumpking they still have from like 4 years ago, that seemed to be half their inventory last time I went in.

NewmansOwn and xmattxyzx like this.
  5. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,232) Jan 6, 2014 New York

As old school as old school gets, but their selection has been hurting for years. I’m old school too, and I used to be tempted to ask for how many bags I could get as opposed to beers regarding the plexiglass.

6. Mattttt

Mattttt Initiate (61) Feb 20, 2018 New York
    Trader

Worth a visit? Most of my experience is with local beer and this seems like a good place for imports...

7. gory4d

gory4d Defender (657) Apr 14, 2007 Texas

Looks like anything still on their shelves is free - then at 7:00 they close for good.

psychgawsple likes this.
  8. NewmansOwn

NewmansOwn Disciple (330) Jun 25, 2016 New York

Was there anything decent left?

9. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,726) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Are they all done? I liked this place more than most back in the day, and never had any issues with the guy who ran it playing games, but it's been years since I've been by.

10. neff_nyc

neff_nyc Initiate (21) Apr 21, 2017 New York

11. sjjn

sjjn Zealot (559) Jun 4, 2004 New York
    Society

Is there anything else in the area that carries that kind of import selection?