New Beer Sunday (week 471)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mattcrill, Mar 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RJLarse

RJLarse Poo-Bah (1,883) Dec 30, 2005 Washington
    Society

Greetings All:

I'm having Split Shot Espresso Stout. A decent Milk Stout.
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/700/80740/?ba=RJLarse

I'd have it again, but frankly I'd rather have a spring beer, and a spring day to go with it. I'm hoping this closes the chapter on winter beers, stouts and porters for me. Although I do like an occasional cold porter on a warm summer evening.

Cold here in the Columbia Basin, with temps in the low 20s. I probably shouldn't complain, at least we have PLUS 20s not the sub-zero stuff some folks are experiencing. It's been snowing most of the afternoon. But the forecast calls for warmer and wetter days ahead, with lows above freezing and highs into the mid 50s by week's end. I'll take it!

Happy Trails!

[​IMG]

2. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Poo-Bah (1,888) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland
    Society

This is one of my favorites! Real Talk.

3. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,041) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

[​IMG] [​IMG] Excellent brew. Nice barrel flavor up front followed by sweet, roasted, chocolate goodness. Couldn't describe it any better myself.

4. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (3,034) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

Now for my second beer, one that I have waited a long time to try. It finally made it's way to Madison last week and I was ecstatic to buy a bottle. Peche Mortel is a fantastic coffee stout. The aroma is big roasted coffee bean, espresso, and dark chocolate with subtle notes of sweet cocoa. The taste is the same with tons of pressed coffee, espresso, bitter dark chocolate with sweet cocoa. A delicious beer that I paired with an omelette stuffed with onion, green pepper, andouille sausage, and cheddar cheese. Have a terrific night and I'll see all of you next week.
    [​IMG]

5. Shroud0fdoom

Society

This beer is da troof!

kemoarps, markgugs and Ri0 like this.
  6. Knee_Deep_Fan

Knee_Deep_Fan Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2013 California

Next bottle trip I must buy one to sample, been intrigued by it since it came out. The time is near...

Greywulfken and kemoarps like this.
  7. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,912) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

beer No. 2

[​IMG]

what do you turn to after a super-hoppy american barleywine? a big american imperial stout!

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16759/47026/?ba=Premo88

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm biased because I live about 40 miles from this brewery, but is there a better name for a big stout than "Buried Hatchet?"

[​IMG]

A solid stout and surprisingly clear for a brew as thick and tasty as it is. It's almost a clear brown ale in appearance, but it feels like syrup and has all the big coffee/chocolate notes you could want. I've tried Ole Potentate, Pine Belt Ale, Blonde Bombshell and Valkyrie from Southern Star, and of those Pine Belt Ale is probably the only one I'd recommend to others ... an then there's *this*. Buried Hatchet is fantastic! By far Southern Star's best brew of the ones I've tried.

8. jwc215

jwc215 Poo-Bah (5,737) Dec 6, 2005 Arizona
    Society

9. richj1970

richj1970 Poo-Bah (2,187) Oct 26, 2012 Alabama
    Society Trader

Really strange day. We made a quick trip to Nashville and back for a funeral visitation. Wife's close high school friends husband suddenly passed. It was 72 degrees when we left, and 34 with rain when we arrived. By the time we left Nashville, it was starting to turn from rain to sleet, and was in the 60's again when we got home. We are supposed to get anything from a little rain to an inch of ice tonight. Hoping for the best.

Given the weird weather, I thought I should try something special for NBS so I went with Bourbon County Backyard Rye. The normal BCBS is one of my all time favorites, and I was a bit skeptical about this variant. In the end, it simply blew my mind. The berries add a nice twist without being overly sweet, and the rye influence gives it just that extra spice.

Cheers!

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1146/102122/?ba=richj1970

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. CHADMC3

CHADMC3 Meyvn (1,123) Mar 5, 2005 Connecticut

New American Pale Ale Sunday

Grettings NBS,

Southern CT was overcast and chilly today. The "major" storm we were to get overnight looks like its going to be a miss. Which I do not think anyone is upset about as much like the rest of the country, we are all set with winter and I'm thinking human behavior is starting to reflect as much.

Quite a bit of chores done this weekend since I had the opportunity. I caught up on season 1 of Vikings during down time and took the pup for a nice long hike in the snow yesterday after some family QT. Unfortunately for her that was also followed by a bath. If she could separate her toes enough I'm pretty sure there is one in the middle she would like to present to me in a vertical manner after the bath.

I checked in on NBS earlier this afternoon and was blown away by all the good posts. After salivating for a few minutes I sprang into action to chill my NB for the evening.

On to the brew. . . NoDa Session Ale - thumbs up

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26990/90625/?ba=CHADMC3

[​IMG]

11. markgugs

markgugs Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 New Jersey

this man speaketh da troof!

Shroud0fdoom and kemoarps like this.
  12. MadCat

MadCat Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2011 New Jersey

New American Brown Ale Sunday!

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/64/1161/?ba=MadCat

So up for today is Dogfish Head's Indian Brown Ale. A fantastic beer that somehow I've overlooked. Picked it up in a mixed four pack... four? Whatever, I'm glad I grabbed it, but wish I had another because there isn't enough here. Saving my less hoppy stuff for tomorrow. On a side note, I apparently have already reviewed a beer from DFH, but can't figure out what. Not a new brewery for me by a longshot, but I don't remember reviewing them before, and the new beer listing style is frustrating for figuring out if I have or if my count is broken. Anyways, busy Sunday as usual. Got up early to do the weekly grocery shopping so that I didn't get hit with the bread, milk, and eggs crowd. I'm curious to see what this storm does because the forecast has been changing so much, but I'm hoping the 6-8 pans out instead of getting less... who doesn't like a little snow?

13. CHADMC3

CHADMC3 Meyvn (1,123) Mar 5, 2005 Connecticut

No need to be intimidated, I have to have my wife spell check my rveiwes - join us again next week.

Shroud0fdoom, kemoarps and Mikecap like this.
  14. markgugs

markgugs Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 New Jersey

she missed this one :stuck_out_tongue:

15. ZachKelly

ZachKelly Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2012 Virginia

2 new ones on this rain soaked pre-storm Sunday.

[​IMG]

Full Sail Session Black. Not fantastic, malty with a sweetness to it. Not something i'd be in a rush to have again.

[​IMG]

Cultivator from Troegs. This one I had not really been eager to try, not a particular favorite style of mine. It was slipped into my beer club offerings this month and I have to say I really enjoyed it. Very clean flavors and a pleasant balance. I might have to pick more up, especially once we get out of this winter crap.

Roguer, NiceTaps, mattcrill and 6 others like this.
  16. arlingtonjoe

arlingtonjoe Devotee (453) Jan 20, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

[​IMG]

Hey All,
    First time trying Wake Up Dead (nitro or otherwise) and first post here. Seemed like a good choice after finishing cleaning up after another 5-6 inches of snow and the temps getting close to zero again tonight.
    Poured hard as label suggests, mahogany color, bubbly tan head, decent cascade in glass and good lacing.
    Nose has a little chocolate and some breadyness.
    Very smooth with a good body, roasted malts, bitter chocolate, licorice, prune, fig and a slightly dry finish with a hint of pepper, oak and some booziness.
    All around good drinking stout.

Roguer, kemoarps, NiceTaps and 7 others like this.
  17. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,457) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Yeah...solid post!!!

18. 2beerdogs

Society Trader

Greetings NBS fans and friends.
    Well. I finally picked up my Mocha Wednesday's from the Bruery....Bliss!!!

Truth be told, I'm a huge Black Tuesday fan, and I've enjoyed (understatement) each and every variant that has graced my tongue. But,...after our deluge of rain (yes, we actually had some strong rain here in SoCal---although according to the local news you'd think the the 4 Horsemen were breaking some seals, and the rivers that are finally flowing would be blood red--typical SoCal overreaction) Anyway, I love the rich, deep Portola coffee roast that hits your nose before anything distinctly Black Tuesday hits you. But then, once in your mouth, the roast continues, and is balanced out a bit by the cocoa and warm bourbobn barrel.

Plus, even though the Oscars were good, I truly believe they were better with the Mocha Wednesday.
    I highly recommend this one.

Cheers All

Roguer, beertunes, NiceTaps and 5 others like this.
  19. 2beerdogs

Society Trader

^^You're doing fine Modernrickk, no worries, and welcome!!

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  20. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) May 30, 2011 Alaska
    Deactivated

Good morning to you East Coasters as I know most of you are in bed right now and good evening to the West Coasters who are still up with me (I think :wink:), but I feel the need to give a shout out to a local brewery of mine that most of you know for their Smoked Porter.

It was a nice day in not so rainy Southeast Alaska. I got out with my son in the afternoon and played in the snow. Temps mild enough or ...er uh...at least for Alaskans (20-30 degrees), and after dinner decided to come in and review some beers. Its so easy to jump on the bandwagon of the stellar beers I actually had tonight, but honestly, considering where I live, I have to go back to this new Rough Draft series that Alaskan Brewing Company just put out called "Alaskan Sweetheart Chocolate," a milk/sweet stout that comes across super light almost like a really light American Porter or could even be construed as a schwarzbier to some. Personally, I have to admit, I was quite confused when I had it at the brewery this past week, but straight from the brewery, they mean for it to be a milk/sweet stout. I have to say if any milk/sweet stout could pull off with food, this one definitely can stand with the best of them.

Here's my review.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/429/114273/

Actually, where's BitterBill? I thought he was the guy to put Alaskan Brewing Company's beers on the map?

Hope you're ok, Bill.

Cheers to the NBS!:sunglasses:

Adam

Roguer, beertunes, kemoarps and 8 others like this.
  21. Shroud0fdoom

Society

Congrats on being the first to review this brew!

kemoarps likes this.
  22. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,041) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Accidently deleted photos. Side note, anyone know why there is no edit option for post anymore?[​IMG]

utopiajane likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.