New Beer Sunday (week 491)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cavedave, Jul 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,036) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

New beer number two:
    [​IMG]
    Condensation's sheen across the bottle, Conntucky Lightnin' from Two Roads Brewing on a summer afternoon...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I get lotsa of big fat wet fruits and boozy bourbon barrel... good stuff.
    Curieux and Doom are/were big hits with me. This isn't quite there, but how many bourbon barreled pales are there to choose from anyway?
    I really dug it.

Cheers!

Edit: sneakin' in my second pour pics just under the 15 minute mark...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Went rustic with a pint pour - beautiful colors, eh? Cheers!

#41 Greywulfken, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
    kemoarps, StLeasy, Roguer and 20 others like this.
  2. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (7,928) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Greetings fellow NBSers! After a mostly sunny, and even hot, week the last couple of days have seen a cooling trend, and even a touch of rain, which we haven't had here in the Fourth Corner for a while now. I am in agreement with @woemad , best thoughts to all the folks on the "Dry Side" of Washington, who are going through some some serious fire danger right now. The town of Pateros was basically removed the last couple of days. Beer related, Methow Valley Brewing/Twisp River Pub and our friends at Old Schoolhouse brewery in Winthrop seem safe for now, but the winds can change any time. Please keep them in your thoughts, and, if you happen to see a bottle of OSH Ruud Awaking in your bottle shop, buy one. They went and rented a huge generator to help keep the town running.

On to less serious things. I had a pretty slow week, although I did work a charity event last night that got interesting when none of the sound guys showed up, and much scrambling did then ensue. I've already had several new brews today, and first up is a very pleasant IPA that would probably garner much hype, were it from anywhere other than the PNW, where it will probably kinda just get lost in the crowd: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16077/115742/?ba=beertunes

To all the "Smoke-Eaters", regardless where you're working, I think I can speak for a lot of people when I say:

kemoarps, StLeasy, Roguer and 15 others like this.
  3. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

New Beer Mail Canned Imperial Russian Stout Sundae, er I mean Sunday!

Ok this beer was an extra from a box that was sent to me Courtesy of @SomethingClever . That beer is this!

[​IMG]

Let me describe this Imperial Stout. This brew pours a very unique shade of black for the style:rolling_eyes:. There is a nice darker shade of khaki/mocha head that was about 1/2 finger high. Ok visually this beer is looking good. The aroma should tell me what I got myself into. First whiff is straight vanilla and some underlaying fruity characters. Second whiff there is more to the story. I pick up hints of camp fire, deep roasted malts and alcohol. Whatever, I'm licking my lips now you bastardos! The initial flavor of this brew is vanilla with tangy fruits and booze. There is a touch molasses type sweetness. Very delicate and not cloying as some high gravity Imp Stouts can be. The finish is smooth, bitter sweet like said not cloying and on the dry side with a nice tobacco aftertaste. The body on this beer is Medium full and almost on the vicious side. The carbonation is mild yet accents with the smooth body of the brew.

Overall: This beer has it's faults, like I could ask for more oak presence and be a little less hot. But somehow the alcohol does becomes part of the beer on a balance like Rochefort 10 and not unbalanced like KBS. I enjoyed this brew, trust me I drank the whole Pint. The question, would I drink this again? Yes, yes I would. Thank You @SomethingClever this killed my Booze craving for the week! This brew is worthy.

Cheers NBSer's!

kemoarps, StLeasy, Roguer and 20 others like this.
  4. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

Dayum, helluva a NBS post. Well done! Can't wait to get my Beer Camp box. :slight_smile:

5. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,235) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good afternoon brethren and sistren of the Ancient Order of Malted Barley! It's time for that weekly event, NBS.

Todays' selection is one many many of you have had and reviewed, but this is the first time for me:

[​IMG]

Damn - this is good! http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/641/1745/?ba=Ozzylizard

Next time I see some, gonna buy me an armload. The hint of cherry along with the tartness makes me drool - not a pretty sight, just ask my wife.

Anyway, tomorrow we head south, so I've been spending the day comforting the bottles in the cellar, telling them I'll miss them, reassuring them I will be back, stroking their sleek necks, patting their cute little caps and corks, etc.

My reptiles don't care of course, as long as they get fed. Funny how once they've tasted human blood and liked it, their whole attitude changes. The small one on top is about 4 inches long and she's the one that took a chunk out of me. Now she sits on her float wanting more!

Had it been my snapper Lucky, I'd be changing my handle from Ozzylizard to Nonose or Threefingers.

kemoarps, StLeasy, Roguer and 17 others like this.
  6. OldeSchool

OldeSchool Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2013 Florida

Well, let's see if this one makes it onto my Carolina shopping list.

[​IMG]

3.83/5 rDev -3.3%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Pours almost black with a small head that dissipates quickly. Looks pretty much like a bourbon barrel stout should look.

S: Chocolate, some coffee, maybe a bit of vanilla. Oddly, not much in the way of bourbon.

T: Just a bit of bourbon with more coffee and chocolate. Drinks very smoothly, even at 11 percent ABV.

M: Very good, but not great; smooth and silky with some alcohol sting late.

O: Very good representation of the style. It's less "bourbony" than many of the other beers in this genre, but drinking Dragon's Milk is a good experience overall.

Serving type: bottle

- Overall, not a bad beer, but not something I'd actively seek out. I might slip a bottle or two in my suitcase, but if I only have room for one New Holland Beer, The Poet still gets the nod.

#46 OldeSchool, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
    kemoarps, StLeasy, Roguer and 17 others like this.
  7. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

Evenin' NBS'ers!

Randomly rainy, and cooler than normal weekend here in North Georgia. In hopes of finding something to perk up the rather dark day, I stumbled on a bottle I recently got in NC, and it's pretty close to summer in a bottle.

Nantahala Brewing Co's, Trail Magic #8. It's a beer they brew once, and release at the brewery only. This one is a Red Wine, and New Oak aged Imperial Wit, with fresh local blackberries.

Has a normal wit nose to the beer, with a slight acidic fruit nose to it. Taste builds on the nose with smooth, but warm wit beer flavor, a drying oak and somewhat tannic wine note and a simple tartness that quickly finishes to a sweet wheat finish with some warmth of the 8% ABV.

Pretty good beer, and it's pretty close to the summer in a bottle I was looking for!

[​IMG]

kemoarps, StLeasy, Roguer and 18 others like this.
  8. Roxie_B

Roxie_B Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2014 Alabama

[​IMG]
    This weekend I tried a couple of milkstouts, including this one from Left Hand. Pretty tasty.

StLeasy, Roguer, Modernrickk and 6 others like this.
  9. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,235) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Keep eating those cookies Maria and you'll pork up like me:

10. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Meyvn (1,087) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

Sounds different and interesting. Imperial Wit w/blackberries + oak!?!?! Sign me up! Any good? This Double Barrel Jesus is amazing. One of my Top 20 beers of all time and I have at least about 50 beers on that list.

woemad likes this.
  11. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

Indeed it is very good.. I'm not much of a wit beer drinker, but this one caught my eye, and due to having a place not far this brewery, I pretty much buy everything they make or have on hand in the summer months. It's a hidden gem amongst the mountains and rivers in the Smokey Mtns.

Next time in Asheville, head west to Bryson City about 30-40 minutes, and enjoy some legit "small town" livin'.. Float a cooler down the creek that the purest water comes from the peaks that makes this beer!

PA-Michigander and WCKDVBZ like this.
  12. LancetherealLeader

LancetherealLeader Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2013 South Carolina

I recently started trying the Maine Beer Co. brews and have been very impressed, so far. Tonight's new offering is the 'King Titus' porter, which gets 2 big 'thumbs up' from me and the wife. Cheers!
    [​IMG]

StLeasy, Roguer, HoppySeb and 12 others like this.
  13. Shroud0fdoom

It could've been blended with Bourbon, Rye and Eagle's piss, that beer would still be epic, IMO of course.

HoppySeb, woemad and WCKDVBZ like this.
  14. WCKDVBZ

I thought it was a very over-hopped and thin-bodied porter. Not worth the price tag IMO.

Homebrew likes this.
  15. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,730) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

I misspoke when I said something along the lines of not having been impressed by anything they've done: their winter ale is very tasty, or at least it was (I don't remember seeing it this last winter). Danger is solid, I don't personally think it's any more noteworthy than, say, Moose Drool, but I haven't tried Silk Lady - guess I'll need to check it out.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  16. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Welcome aboard the good ship SS NBS Roxie! Could you perhaps take a moment and tell about your thoughts on that lovely brew, and maybe what's going on in Roxieland this week? We're all friends, and we want MOAR FRIENDS!, so we're interested in what's up. Cheers, and again, welcome!

17. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,977) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

New American Wee Heavy Sunday (week 491)

Hello NBSers, a beautiful day on the ridge. My lawn, errr, meadow a great place to have a beer today, and this one had such promise from what we know of the original Greg Noonan Wee Heavy. Decent, not great by any stretch, perhaps 25 years ago if I would have been lucky enough to have tried it I would have thought this was the best beer in America. today we have more beers of higher quality than this available than we can drink.

And no, that wasn't a challenge.

Hope you have a Great American Beer in your glass. Cheers!
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/860/126945/?ba=cavedave
    [​IMG]

kemoarps, StLeasy, Roguer and 16 others like this.
  18. woemad

Society Trader

Nice tunes! I personally think Presence is Zep's most underrated album, especially if you know the issues surrounding it's making, not least of which was an insane time crunch in the studio they were using. IIRC, Page had to do his guitar overdubs in pretty much one all-night session. If that is true, I'm not really surprised he was such a burned out shell by the time they did In Through The Out Door (not that the containership loads of heroin helped).

edit: I think I'm a frontrunner for most incompetent reply for the day! Then again, I suppose the entirely empty light blue square is visually striking:rolling_eyes:

#58 woemad, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  19. Roxie_B

Roxie_B Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2014 Alabama

Totally jealous of everyone's beautiful beer glasses. I'm gonna have to carve out some of my beer budget for proper glassware. (I swore I would a couple of weeks ago but beer happened - again)

The Left Hand Milk Stout pictured was part of me branching out into more types of stouts this weekend.

It had a nice dark pour with a little head that dissipated to lace then finally a thin collar as I've come to expect from a stout - at least when I pay attention to the ritual of pouring it properly.

The smell was a bit lighter than I am used to even though I drink my beer a bit on the warm side (~60-~64 F) to make sure I am smelling everything. To be honest it was a very mild sweet coffee smell mostly.

The taste was strong coffee mitigated by malt and milk. Sort of like if you had dissolved a malted milk ball in your coffee. Some hops present with earthy taste as it meandered around my mouth.

The mouth feel was smooth and coated my tongue in a way that I enjoy. Not a ton of carbonation for beer in general. Like any good stout (in my book) it does stay with you and is a bit of a chewer.

Overall not a thing to slam after cutting grass but a good thing to sip and enjoy when I am supposed to be working on a speech for class next week. I will be fair and not entirely blame the beer or the good folks here for the welcome distraction - the cat also decided to sit with me for a wonderful and completely unproductive hour and a half.

#59 Roxie_B, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    kemoarps, StLeasy, Roguer and 10 others like this.
  20. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,036) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I agree - Presence is a fave - cheers!

Modernrickk and woemad like this.
  21. cavedave

Society Trader

Mmmm, dig Soundgarden, but not so much that beer. Have tried it fresh, with a year, with 3 years, just don't get it. Must be me, I don't like almost any of Brooklyn's beer, even Blast which all I know love. Do love me some Black Chocolate Stout, though, mmmmmm.

Nice, wish I could blast some Soundgarden out the Bosemonsters in LR but sadly cannot.

Great to again be able to enjoy the best beer in the history of the Universe right here in America.

Thanks for the kind words!

And that thanks goes out to all.

22. JMS1512

JMS1512 Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2013 New Jersey

Good evening, barons of BCS and countesses of KBS, I have an English offering for this week's NBS.

Tonight's imbibification and subsequent judgery (no, I haven't started drinking already): Meantime's Cranberry Stout

Visually it looks as though I just emptied my jeep's used oil into my snifter- a reddish black murk with a tan head. The head slowly dissipates and leaves small archipelagos of lace along the sides. It smells a bit sour, a bit medicinal, and a little roasty (not exactly what I'd call a pleasant conglomerate). Cranberries up front on the palate, matched with tiny bubbles. Almost no sense of the "stout" portion of the beer. Not very coating, either. Finish is a long and sour vinegar. At least it wasn't a wild ale, or a lambic. All cranberries, no stout. Pout-worthy. Somebody get me a Murphy's, STAT! Ok... that was uncalled for. I'd at least prefer a Fuller's. Let's hope the English-style barleywine is better, but that's a tale for another night in the near future.

kemoarps, StLeasy, Roguer and 13 others like this.
  23. WCKDVBZ

Still drinking this ish. Same amount as pictured left. Good God....I'll be ready for a nap after this....

24. rorjets

rorjets Meyvn (1,199) Nov 20, 2012 Connecticut

This baby is on my radar - look forward to finding (and drinking) one soon!

WesMantooth and Greywulfken like this.
  25. Mikecap

Mikecap Champion (801) May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

New AmeriCAN Pale Ale Sunday!

[​IMG]

Greetings NBS, another hot and humid weekend here in Louisiana, but I'm still enjoying brews out on my balcony :sunglasses:. I move from this state a week from Tuesday, so I'm trying to load up on local offerings before I depart. Met up with a good friend for lunch today and he threw this my way (thanks again Evan!) Today's pale ale from Great Raft is solid. Nice and crisp, with floral hop bitterness. The taste beats the nose but overall this is a winner. I'm really getting into pale ales these days, as I find them much better than these "session IPAs" popping up everywhere.

Full review here: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/33324/107321/?ba=Mikecap

Cheers all!

kemoarps, StLeasy, rorjets and 11 others like this.
  26. cavedave

Society Trader

*in Beavis voice* Hnn Hnn that was cool.

27. ZachKelly

ZachKelly Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2012 Virginia

Couldn't resist one more. Double Trouble.

[​IMG]

Can't say I love it. Better than Devil Dancer. Pretty well balanced, kind of an off flavor comes in at the finish though. Now, time to switch to water so I can get up at 3 for work.

StLeasy, rorjets, Roguer and 10 others like this.
  28. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I know you're right but . . . "Merica

29. Modernrickk

Modernrickk Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2013 California

Hola! Fellow NBSers

Picture perfect day out here in South Central LA. The wind is kickin right now bringin in all sorts of smoky BBQ aromas from all directions - everyone grills out here on Sunday.
    I'm helping the mrs pack her bags for her business trip up to the Bay Area this week. I'm stoked for her but I'm also stoked for myself as I already have a busy schedule for next week, where I will be visiting a bunch of people I don't normally get to visit.

This week I have: Fuller's ESB and Lagunitas Lil Sumpin' Extra
    First off the extra special. I've always been hella interested in how pints are carefully measured in England
    [​IMG]
    3.96/5 rDev -2.9%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4
    [​IMG]
    This can't possibly be a Queens pint huh? It's over the line and the bottle is empty :astonished:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/71/219/?ba=Modernrickk

Back for more!
    Back for more!

Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Extra. Just now starting to make it's rounds out here in LA . Worth the wait! It's hop heaven

[​IMG]

4.33/5 rDev +2.6%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/220/52077/?ba=Modernrickk

The Angels won their game in walk off fashion so I'm sitting out back in my usual spot by the furnace waiting for the Dodgers game. I have a good stogie and this months beer paper .
    Check out this for a headline ...
    [​IMG]

Have a good evening y'all- can't wait till this weeks episode of Ray Donovan

kemoarps, StLeasy, rorjets and 14 others like this.
  30. Phocion

Phocion Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2005 Minnesota

I'm sad I only got a single of this. Perfectly balanced Helles and it went down way too smooth on the first truly hot day of this Minnesota summer.

[​IMG]

31. Shroud0fdoom

I'm glad you liked it Maria! Me, not so much. Hey different Strokes for Different Brains!

utopiajane likes this.
  32. thomda11

thomda11 Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2014 California

Went up to Alpine today for the first time and tasted four new beers. Nelson, Duet, Pure Hoppiness and Captain Stout.
    [​IMG]

All four were delicious, though I'd rank them as such:

1. Pure Hoppiness
    2. Nelson
    3. Captain Stout
    4. Duet

Left with a bomber of Pure Hoppiness. Oh, and the food at the pub is phenomenal.

StLeasy, Roguer, TongoRad and 3 others like this.
  33. cavedave

Society Trader

Don't forget to ask for a free glass at the bottle store when you buy your beer. I have gotten one more times than I have not. Two of my nicest glasses were gotten free.

34. cavedave

Society Trader

Hi Welcome to NBS.

What was it that made those beers delicious? Do you recommend them? Anything you didn't like? What was your favorite thing about the Alpine beers and brewery?

We tell a little about ourselves and the new beers we try here, and always look for new members to share. Cheers!

35. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (12,642) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri
    Society

It's fantastic.

36. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Next up (OK technically it was my second beer of the day, but my first new beer, but then I entered the beer I had at a different bar before... , ahhh screw it) is a pleasant Maibock from a brewery that only kegs their brews, and doesn't have a pub, yet is one of the largest breweries in the Evergreen state:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4378/129793/?ba=beertunes

"I got a girl, she lives on the hill, she won't do it, but her Momma will!":

37. woemad

Society Trader

LOL.
    The owner of my favorite local (Jones Radiator) also owns a creamery that specializes in unusual ice creams. He has a flavor called "'Merica" that is white (cotton candy flavored) ice cream with red and blue nerds candy scattered about in sufficient numbers to give it all a "patriotic" look. Pretty similar in terms of gluttinous happiness involved.

utopiajane and BBThunderbolt like this.
  38. HoppySeb

HoppySeb Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Washington

Hello NBS’ers,
    Beautiful week weather-wise in the Puget Sound area. It’s been overcast and a bit rainy overnight and today – but we still manage to enjoy some grilled wursts and are now chilling watching Netflix. Also experiencing a bit of sports withdrawals with the NBA and the World Cup being over but really stoked about the NFL season starting soon.

Green Flash - Double Stout
    Appearance is a beautiful jet black. Upon pouring, a foamy cappuccino-like foam is formed atop the glass. The foam eventually recedes into a thin, almost transparent layer covering the entirety of the surface and ultimately settling into a ring around the glass which accompanies you as you finish the beer.

The nose at first instance is that of chocolate milk. Coffee aroma closely follows and there are traces of dark fruit and molasses. Its taste has a sweet start with notes of chocolate and very faint vanilla. The finish is bitter, pleasantly so – a bitter finish you would expect from espresso.

Its mouthfeel is thick and chewy, quite appropriate to fully appreciate the spectrum of flavors in this beer.

Overall, a quite solid Imperial Stout – I would definitely seek again and enjoy it on a regular basis.

Overall: 4.23 / +3.2%

Cheers BA!

[​IMG]

39. CHADMC3

CHADMC3 Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2005 Connecticut

New IPA Sunday

Welcome back Dave and greetings NBS,

Looks like another fine day of new beer sampling. More nice weather in Southern, CT for the most part this weekend. A good combo of family QT and chores.

Yesterday we took the kids to Springfield, MA to see the Dr. Śuess memorial gardens and a planetarium. It also gave me the chance to grab some out of market beers which unfortunately included this disappointment.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/231/3545/?ba=CHADMC3

Just not much good I can say about this beer.

A happy and productive work week to all.

[​IMG]

40. richj1970

richj1970 Poo-Bah (2,205) Oct 26, 2012 Alabama
    Society Trader

Busy weekend, and now settling down for a little grilling and a new beer.

Threw some filets, hot sausages, and zucchini from the garden on the grill.

[​IMG]

Today's new beer is one from a local brewery - Blue Pants. This is the latest in their Big and Tall series - an English Style Barleywine aged in charred oak barrels. Some really nice flavors going on. Lots of black cherry and currants especially as it warmed. A bit too hot and under carbonated for my tastes, but otherwise really well done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23966/129803/?ba=richj1970

kemoarps, StLeasy, rorjets and 14 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.