New Beer Sunday (week 507)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by utopiajane, Nov 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

[​IMG]
    Good morning to all you intrepid imbibers of imperial ales and all you maestros of the mirthful mild! Welcome to New Beer Sunday. Today is the day and this is the place for you to TRY a new beer and TELL us about it. This is beer advocate and we love to talk about beer here. To gaze upon it, to ponder it's attributes, to revel in it and partake in it's beauty in the glass and upon the palate. Link us to your pictures and to your reviews and even to a tune or two so that we can enjoy your new beer just as you will today.

This week has been the turning point in the weather. It even snowed a bit. Nothing that lasted or stuck around but it's now officially cold and gloomy. I love hearing the blustery wind howl at night. It's one of my favorite sounds. The holidays will be upon us soon and I always welcome the spirit they evoke. Of course cheer and merriment are no strangers to us here on BA. Before I start sampling all the Christmas ales I did not get to last year I thought I would spend this New Beer Sunday with Victory's Harvest Ale. See you later with my review.

How many of you watched the Dirty Dozen on Television last night and thought " That Trini Lopez has such a lovely voice?" . . . wait. Ok How many of you watched the Dirty Dozen on television last night and thought what a motley crew of misbegotten misfits? Cheers NBS!

2. rden4654

rden4654 Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2014 Ohio

[​IMG]
    Jackie O's Bourbon Barrel Paw Paw Wheat
    Wheat Ale · 11.0 ABV ·This is a brewery release only!!!!

An imperial wheat fermented w/ 400 lbs of locally harvested Paw Paw fruit, Ohio’s state fruit! Notes of banana, mango, & fresh melons and Bourbon Barrel Aged!!!!

3. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,665) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Wow, an early start to NBS this week; very exciting!

I've had a fun weekend here in beautiful New England; the Fall weather has been fantastic, there's a hint of Winter in the air, but many of the leaves have just now noticed the season, and are turning in brilliant and varied shades of color. A New England Fall cannot be beat.

Yesterday, I held a couple of mini-verticals (with myself, because I have no friends): Backwoods Bastard and Narwhal, both times comparing the 2014 to 2013. For BB, I preferred the 2014, even though it had more bourbon heat. For Narwhal, I preferred the 2013, even though they were remarkably similar. I could have guessed the different BBs; there's no way I could have figured out which Narwhal was which, had I not already known.

Details and pics are in yesterday's WBAYDN? thread, although I doubt anyone is interested. :slight_smile:

Today, I've got a special beer I've been anticipating for a while, but I'm getting this morning started with a brand new stout: Malpais by La Cumbre.

[​IMG]

As for new reviews, this is the sixth straight stout I've logged. Most of them have been good, too. Only Sierra Nevada Coffee Stout disappointed me, while Evil Twin Imperial Doughnut Break, Port Brewing Santa's Little Helper (BBA), and Epic Brewing Big Bad Baptist all blew me away.

This stout is quite different from any of the above. It's big, bold, and bitter. It's a very traditional stout flavor profile, not sweet in the slightest. Roasted and toasted, it tastes like barley, dark chocolate, and burnt toast. IMO, it's what Guinness should taste like. I really like it.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24659/67709/?ba=Roguer
    3.99 / -4.5%

It's also a fantastically beautiful stout; my picture does it no justice!

Cheers, NBSers; may your glasses be full of great beer today!

2beerdogs, cjgiant, Prager62 and 32 others like this.
  4. rden4654

rden4654 Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2014 Ohio

[​IMG]
    Jackie O's Bourbon Barrel Brick Kiln
    Barley Wine · 9.4 ABV ·This one I'm hearing will hit distribution in Ohio.

Pours brown with very little head. The aroma is caramel malt, nutty, bourbon, vanilla and oak. The flavor is a wonderful blend of sweet caramel, fresh nuts, bourbon, vanilla, wood and light cherry notes.

5. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

6. utopiajane

Rog I hightailed it over to NBS after I saw your post in WBAYDN. No one should have to wait for New Beer Sunday. :wink:

2beerdogs, kemoarps, Roxie_B and 5 others like this.
  7. utopiajane

Thanks very much! I love this thread because even when we are in places far and wide, we like to make an appearance. I too am envious!

8. Homebrew

Homebrew Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2012 Connecticut

Happy NBS to all. well I started early this morning cause im at work now. one of the perks of having a liquor store in CT is that you get to work sundays now :slight_frown: started off with a big boy I've been waiting over a year to get this.
    get a lot of sour cherry upfront, followed by some delicious coffee toastiness. thank god for Pandora today so I can listen to some good music while waiting for customers here's a little something to start all your mornings off with[​IMG]

9. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

[​IMG]
    It's been a week of vacation and many new beers, but I decided this one would make for an excellent NBS post. Sierra Nevada Coffee Stout not only looks brilliant, it smells and tastes brilliant. As I sip away, massive sheets of lacing cling to the glass. Putting my nose to the glass I get massive amounts of dark bitter coffee, charred grains, and a little touch of lactose sugar. The taste is much the same and I find that lactose sugar sweetness come in and play well with the bitter coffee. This really does taste like a nice cold glass of liquid arabica beans. I love it. I nearly gave it a perfect score. Cheers.

"And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad so I had one more for dessert."

2beerdogs, cjgiant, Brolo75 and 34 others like this.
  10. Homebrew

i'm in CT if you ever need a friend to help with some (cough cough) tasting

kemoarps, Roxie_B and Roguer like this.
  11. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

I'm sure you're in the populated portion of CT; I'm in the SE, where we've got Pfizer, Electric Boat, the Navy.....and very little in the way of beer distro.

Roxie_B likes this.
  12. Homebrew

I live right above you (Norwich area) , but have a store in Middlesex county so beer distro for me is close to killer

13. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Oh hey man! I used to live in Norwich (back in the early 2000s). I really liked the area, although I lived in a pretty small-town feel area, nowhere near actual downtown Norwich or anything. Still nostalgic for my go-to bar from those days. :wink:

14. Homebrew

another nice thing about having to work is i'm surrounded by beer here :0 well I guess its lunchtime , notice the little bastard in the background ?[​IMG] and of course everyone wants some music when they eat !

Brolo75, Roxie_B, StLeasy and 11 others like this.
  15. cookiequiz

cookiequiz Aspirant (241) Apr 15, 2013 California

Making myself a lucky bastard today with a Lukcy Basartd.
    [​IMG]

Never gotten aroudn to trying this one before. Thank you Stone for the very well-priced box of variants. =] And in it's honour, I shall not be correcting any unintentional tyupose here! A dubious honour, admittedly... (And mercifully, I won't apply the label's linguistic liberty to this whole post.)

Wow! Dry-hopped! Everything should be dry-hopped!
    [​IMG]
    I love the huge citrus aroma—totally unexpected for me, actually, from my experience with Arrogant Bastard. I usually think, cranberry, with AB, but this one is like orange peels and honey. After a few sips, the red berries and malt come out, but I love the hop-forwardness that dry-hopping brings—as jif AB needed to be any more hop-forward. :confused:

Plowing through the first little glass I've poured, the OAKED constituent is becoming more evident. It's not my favourite part of this, really; generally I don't enjoy oaked IPAs too much. The woodiness just seems too strong, and it distracts from what I do love: the hops. So if I were blending, I'd tone down that part.
    [​IMG]
    Still, I'll take it for what it is—an interesting and complex brew.

th0m, 2beerdogs, cjgiant and 33 others like this.
  16. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

Happy NBS. It's cool and windy today; nice for drinking beer. Thankfully the winter storm tomorrow will stay in N. WI. Let them have the 12+ inches of snow. We may get an inch.

I'm enjoying an Old Hickory Lindley Park. Smells like a nice RIS with big roasted malts, bitter chocolate,raspberry, and dark fruit. Hints of honey, vanilla, and oak come through as it warms. Flavors are a mix of roasted malt, raspberry, and bitter chocolate. Dark fruits are noticeable in the middle along with hints of bourbon and honey. The finish really brings out the raspberry flavors. This beer was good, but I think it would have been even better if it was not barrel aged. It seemed like the barrel aging made it a bit harsh, even after resting a year.

[​IMG]

th0m, 2beerdogs, cjgiant and 29 others like this.
  17. garymuchow

garymuchow Poo-Bah (3,442) Aug 31, 2001 Minnesota
    Society

New Session Coffee Stout Sunday

Greeting NBSers,
    Limited time with the grandkid over today, all day. But enough time to enjoy a tasty session beer from Stone.
    Well done to them.
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/124424/?ba=garymuchow

Best to all the week and enjoy this fine tradition in the spirit it is given and thanks to our hostess and host for taking this on.

18. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,080) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Grey skies above...
    [​IMG]
    Victory's "Vine To Victory" Harvest Ale below... :grinning:
    [​IMG]
    A solid beer - I thought it was an IPA, but it falls under the APA umbrella...
    [​IMG]
    Hearty malts underscore a spectrum of bitter hop impressions...
    [​IMG]
    Gonna be drinking the four-pack today and watching some games...

Cheers!

2beerdogs, cjgiant, Prager62 and 31 others like this.
  19. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,092) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

[​IMG]

Greetings All,
    It's another beautiful day here in the northern Piedmont. We're back from a long hike with the Walker Hounds, and all the dogs had their fools out today! Nice and crisp at around 40 degrees, high overcast sky, with a change looming that is noticeable to man and beast alike. Winter is just over there- pointing north and west.
    Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale is one I never tried, but I love their range and wanted to work this beauty in. Sorry for the huge pic, but I do my best. Damn, this amber colored ale is gorgeous with it's meringue head and floral aromatics. Just looking at this beer is a pleasure, but the first sip is pure fresh pine and sap, with a great back of rich malt that plays very well with the fresh hops. Balance like this is an art. This is a hearty brew with very subtle structure, no easy feat!
    Since the McCartney show here a week ago, I've been hooked on seminal rock and roll. Here is some old and fun memory. Cheers to everyone on another very nice Sunday!

2beerdogs, Brolo75, Prager62 and 29 others like this.
  20. utopiajane

New Potable Pale Ale Sunday

Looks like great minds are drinking alike today on New Beer Sunday. Both myself and @Greywulfken are having the same beer. Now I have not read his review yet. I do have it open in a tab though and am heading there post hasre after I post my review. Well I love victory. Their headwaters pale is a favorite of mine and they have done it again with a lovely pale is darn near perfection. In fact I felt kind of stingy with my marks.

Victory Harvest Ale w/proper glassware

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/345/33012/?ba=utopiajane

21. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Back with my second new dark brew for Sunday: Sierra Nevada Porter.

[​IMG]

Good beer: very roasty, not very sweet at all. It's a bit thin, but otherwise is a solid robust porter. Bitter, with roasted barley, coffee, and an earthy hop profile that carries a hint of flowers and citrus on the finish.

I'm not blown away, but it's good; I'd get it again.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/279/?ba=Roguer
    3.54 / -9.2%

2beerdogs, Brolo75, Prager62 and 28 others like this.
  22. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

Next up is Venus, which is an interesting beer. I pick up the vanilla and cardamom aromas along with apricot notes. Reminds me of a fruited Saison with some herbs and spices. The apricot is sweet and tart along with the vanilla notes. It has some herbal, leafy notes, but manages to attain a Blonde/Saison style. The finish has a pleasant tartness to it. It would be nice to try a Saison brewed with just apricots to go along with the spices.

[​IMG]

23. aoampm

aoampm Champion (854) Apr 26, 2014 Hawaii
    Trader

Good morning or afternoon to everyone, hope your sundays are going well! Today I'm enjoying a very special beer sent to me as an extra by @Roguer.
    [​IMG]
    2013 Backwoods Bastard...
    [​IMG]
    The appearance is a medium amber brown color with almost no head. On the nose I'm getting some grape fruitiness along with the aroma of bourbon and malt. It actually reminds me more of a barleywine smell-wise, and it smells the exact same to me as Sucaba from Firestone Walker (just had it on tap last week). The bourbon definitely comes through in the taste, but it is incredibly smooth. Not to echo my previous statement, but I really am getting more of a Sucaba / barleywine feel on the taste, and it is perfectly balanced. The taste is very complex and hard for me to describe. Its sweet at first but definitely has some of the bourbon burn afterwards. Hints of Oak, roasted malt, tartness, and a really thick yet smooth feel to it. I'm absolutely in love with this beer! I will definitely be looking for get more of this in future trades. I'll have to try a fresh one to compare the differences, but man this one is incredible.

4.71/5 rDev +8.8%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

So thankful that this one was included as an extra. I usually don't pick up many Scotch Ales or Wee Heavy's but I may have to start seeking more out after having this beer. Cheers everyone! Can't wait to see what new beers will make it on here today.

VABA, 2beerdogs, cjgiant and 33 others like this.
  24. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,943) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

New German Pilsener Sunday

Happy NBS everyone! It's a lovely fall day in PA, crisp, cool, and sunny. I went out for breakfast with an old friend (literally, the guy is pushing 90) and we had a nice time as always. We both just read "Finding Darwin's God" and spent a pleasant hour discussing it. To his credit his views on God and evolution are, well, evolving. He is a neat old man with an open, nimble mind.

Anyway, the little guy is napping and I'm thirsty. This was very good and beat the hell out of the Urquell I had yesterday.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29021/85281/?ba=DIM

[​IMG]

Cheers!

2beerdogs, cjgiant, Prager62 and 29 others like this.
  25. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Glad you enjoyed it! When I first had it, last year, I hadn't had many Scotch Ales to which I could compare it, but it reminded me of BCBBW (so, very similar to Sucaba). Not exactly a barleywine, to be sure, but it definitely struck me as similar.

I had a pretty similar rating to yours, too; around 4.65ish. After my vertical yesterday, I revisited it, and dropped it a tiny bit, but it's still a damn impressive beer. Cheers!

26. richj1970

richj1970 Poo-Bah (2,209) Oct 26, 2012 Alabama
    Society Trader

New local chocolate oatmeal porter Sunday!

Beautiful day in these parts. Went for a walk in the neighborhood this morning, and now time to try a new beer.

Today's choice is a Chocolate Oatmeal Porter from Blue Pants Brewery. I'm not normally a huge fan of the shaker pint glass, but this is the only Blue Pants glass I own...

Very nice beer. Lots of rich dark chocolate notes, and the oatmeal gives it a nice creamy mouthfeel. Not overly sweet. If there is a such thing as a crushable porter, then this might be it for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23966/144970/?ba=richj1970

honkey, 2beerdogs, Prager62 and 28 others like this.
  27. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Savant (982) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Trader

What's up NBS players. Nice fall day here on eastern long island. Lot warmer than yesterday and a good break from all the rain we've been having. Jets might actually win their second game but I wouldn't be surprised by an epic second half let down.

My new beer is only my second offering from two roads brewing. The first being Rosemary's baby which I enjoyed. This one is Route of all Evil, an American black ale.

Nice and fresh, 10/17/14, the pour is black with an enjoyable nose of roasted malts and sweetness. The taste starts with a thick blast of malt and chocolate. A hoppy and bitter burn on the finish really adds some complexion and an interesting mouth feel. I can see where is might throw some people off but I like it. Really takes on the mode of a black ipa too. I would raise it a bit from it's 80 ba score. A solid 3.5/4 in my book,
    [​IMG]

28. FlowerPowerQueen724

FlowerPowerQueen724 Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2014 New York

[​IMG]

Hop Shock IPA San Tan. new beer Sunday.

let's go buffalo! ❤️

Ozzylizard, Roxie_B, StLeasy and 12 others like this.
  29. utopiajane

I had the rare chance to visit two roads recently and I loved them. Roadmary's baby was a favorite of mine too and this one sounds awesome. Another great pun that has to do with roads or driving. If you live in CT you drive a lot.

Cheers! and great description =)

Homebrew, Roxie_B and reaganrvltn like this.
  30. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Trying out a third new beer for this lovely Sunday, and it breaks my streak of stout/porters after 7 in a row. This brew comes courtesy of @gatheredwaters, and it is New Belgium's Lips of Faith series: Le Terroir dry hopped sour.

[​IMG]

Wow, this is one of the most interesting beers I've ever had! The dry hopping is overwhelming in the aroma; both Cascade and Amarillo are clearly present, with huge grapefruit and mango notes, and a hit of dank sweetness. There's also a bit of brown sugar sweetness, and lurking in the background, some musty wild yeast.

The flavor is very similar, but much, much more obviously sour. The fruity flavors from the hops are again strongly represented, and they blend with the sourness and musty wild yeast in a way quite unique from other sours or lambics. As to that tart sourness: it's quite strong, and very nice.

Review below:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/192/26541/?ba=Roguer
    4.16 / -3.3% / Review #685

Cheers!

31. gatheredwaters

gatheredwaters Initiate (0) May 1, 2014 Vermont

Glad you're enjoying the beers man! Cheers!

aoampm likes this.
  32. mattcrill

mattcrill Meyvn (1,310) Mar 16, 2004 Ohio

New American IPA Sunday
    Greetings and Happy NBS one and all!

Weather in Central OH is sunny and cool. The sun is shining a little brighter here today since we sent Sparty packing last night but I'm choosing to keep this post focused on beer :slight_smile:

Hope everyone has a fine American ale in their perfect pints, flutes, and half-yards today.

Peace, love, and malty-ness,

Matt

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/19544/143901/?ba=mattcrill

4.25/5 rDev -2.5%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Aroma: Strong citrus hop notes up front. Abundant lemon and melon notes. Clean fermentation character. Dank and grassy character appears as the beer opens up. Flowery and honey-like sweetness appears as well.

Appearance: Hazy amber pours with a low white head. Head retention is good.

Flavor: Wow…bitter grassy hop notes up front followed by more citrus…lemon and orange with grapefruit highlights. Balance is to the aggressive hop bitterness. Finish is lingering with pleasant citrus bitterness.

Moutheel: Medium bodied, slightly oily, with high carbonation. No alcohol heat.

Overall impression: An immensely drinkable IPA.

33. micromaniac129

micromaniac129 Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

That Victory one could be the best and yo, that sensi, is boss too babe

[​IMG]

listen up everybody and I mean everybody. Everyone knows that if you do the wet hops...
    ya gotta and I mean ya GOTTA go with dream on
    It's pretty much standard, you know like Celebration ale and christmas.
    My wife once asked me what is the best part of christmas
    and of course I told her celebration ale
    She just nodded and said dream on

34. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,106) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

Not the New Beer I was Going to Have Sunday

I had planned to try a barrel aged Wee Heavy from Revolution today, but I drank a Wee bit too much last night, so I wasn't feeling the high ABV bomber. In fact, I wasn't sure I was going to have any, but then after pulling the fridge and stove away from the wall to clean, I quickly became more motivated.

Last night I hit my 500th rating with Parabola, and 499 was Backwoods Bastard. The Parabola is phenomenal. Truly worthy of any and all hype. A wonderfully balanced brew. I had passed on BB last year and been regretting it ever since. It did not disappoint either. If you do not like bourbon, or are borderline on bourbon barrel beers, you are probably not going to enjoy it though. It is a surprising smack to the face. I scored it a 4.35, but feel I may not have been objective enough because I really like it. Honestly, it isn't balanced all that well. A lot of heat and burn for 10.5%. Reminds me a lot of Curmudgeon fresh. I see that Wulver is at 4.34 (178 spot) and BB is 4.32 (207). They are not that close in my book, but to each his/her own. Any night that includes both of them as well as Parabola, Jackie O's Black Maple, Thirsty Dog Bourbon Barrel Triple, and Edmund Fitzgerald and a Buckeyes win is totally worth the consequences the next morning.

Today's pull is from Dark Horse, who in my opinion, makes the best straight up RIS in the country. I also like Scotty Karate a lot. So I finally grabbed a 4 pack of this
    [​IMG]

I was pretty disappointed. There are some good things about it, but they barely offset the not so good things.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1471/5490/?ba=WesMantooth

Appearance - Pitch black with a big bubbly tan head. It leaves a considerable amount of lacing.

Aroma - Not super intense. Some roasted barley that smells considerably burnt/ashy, and chocolate.

Taste - Definitely smokey and charred tasting. Small amount of oats. Some bitter chocolate. Some odd flavor I can't pinpoint that is not real enjoyable, almost metallic. Not a very pleasant aftertaste.

Feel - It is medium to heavy in body, very dry (not in a good way) it feels kind of like you are drinking a cola. It manages to be sort of watery, yet fairly silky and creamy at the same time. Slightly above average carbonation.

Overall - I dinged it here because it drinks a lot more like a porter than an oatmeal stout. A drinkable beer, but not real good. I actually feel like my score is generous.

[​IMG]

Cheers! Enjoy your Sunday

#34 WesMantooth, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    2beerdogs, cjgiant, Prager62 and 25 others like this.
  35. JMS1512

JMS1512 Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2013 New Jersey

Good day to you, high-gravity genealogists and Plato-philologists, it’s time for a mhu-degnir fo a SBN irvewe by your extremely fortuitous, born-out-of-wedlock beer lover, the none of than JMS1512. On this week’s docket:

Lukcy Basartd Ale

Poured hard into my Lucifer snifter

Sight: Sorrel colored body, ruby highlights through the middle when held up to light. When poured hard, a beige head develops, but later dies down to a reasonable, finger-thick cap. (And then nearly non-existent) Lacing left seems light and lacey, with no cool word to describe it.

Smell: A bit of pine, caramel, and lightly woody aromas. I doubt as hoppy in smell as a regular A.B.

Taste: Pine persists from to finish. The middle speaks with a touch of dryness, due to the oaked part of the triad. There are hints of malt and a little caramel or butterscotch, but not sure which, made difficult to discern due to hoppy nature. There is somehow, a smoothness or perhaps balance to the taste, all the ingredients playing in harmony with each other. Is this due to the beer being a blend of three others? Some reviewers mention the malt (of the D.B.?) taming the hops, which makes sense to me after reading it. As it warms, I think the oaked part of the triad is easier to taste, too.

Mouthfeel: Medium. Carbonation is evident, but not crisp and bubbly like a Belgian dubbel or tripel (I mean, it is an American strong ale, not a Belgian thing). There is a fair amount of body and coating to the beer on the tongue. I feel a light film on my teeth.

Overall: A neat idea of a beer, and great taste. I am pretty sure I can detect each of the three original brews, and would love to catch this on draft. A fnei boj Ontes, m’I pterty urse er’ew the lukcy basartds.

Because this beer is a blend of styles, (and extremely talented individual) my music offering is more of the same:

36. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Sierra Nevada Coffee Stout. I prefer stouts without added flavors like coffee but am very pleased with this beer. Just the right amount of coffee flavor and aroma for my taste. It just plain tastes great.

2beerdogs, kemoarps, Roxie_B and 11 others like this.
  37. utopiajane

Congratulations on 500! WooHOO! :sunglasses:

StLeasy and WesMantooth like this.
  38. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,755) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Greetings, fellow NBSers,

Last weekend there was no NBS for me, but I managed a NBF and a NBM while I was on the west side of the state. Here's the beer-related highlights: On Halloween, I paid a visit to Fish’s brewpub, which was rather disappointing in terms of beer (Leavenworth Pilsener, which in my opinion isn’t a pilsener, and a barrel-aged sour version of Monkfish, which was a vaguely sour booze bomb), and to 99 Bottles, which was a fantastic beer store. Saturday I went for a walk with my bro and my neice in a park along the Deschutes River's falls where the old Oly brewery looms in the background. Monday, on my way home, I stopped in Tacoma at Red Hot and had a tasty German sausage sandwich and a decent IPA from Rainy Daze that was new to me. Engine House # 9 was also visited, but they had few of their beers on, and what I had wasn’t very inspiring. Fortunately they had lots of guest taps so I had a Black IPA from Boneyard that was very tasty.

The most interesting beer of the last week was a grunt from local brewers Budge Brothers called Dirty Pilgrim, an Imperial Brown Ale brewed with cranberry sauce. Interesting, with a pretty well-hidden alcohol bite, but I thought the dark malts were a little too muted and if stronger could have matched the tart cranberry flavor a little better. Since this was their first try with it, I’m curious what they do with it down the road.

Today I’m starting off with a Speakeasy Big Daddy IPA that I picked up at 99 Bottles (along with about 8 other beers, mostly IPAs):
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/559/1472/?ba=woemad
    Pretty damn good, something I wouldn’t mind picking up a sixer of if it only were sold in 12oz bottles in my area.

Lastly, my avatar is of Pacific University, my cousin Tom’s alma mater where he played Tackle back in the 80s. Tom died earlier this week and will be sorely missed by everyone who knew him.

39. OldeSchool

OldeSchool Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2013 Florida

This one was called a "brown ale" last year, but the can calls it a "winter porter"; it appears that CCB may have changed the recipe for 2014. Sorry for fuzzy picture.
    Pours very dark brown with a fluffy head; aroma is spicy with just a tiny bit of fruit and cocoa.
    Taste follows the nose; not much in the way of fruitiness...finish is rather bitter.
    Once it warms, the flavor becomes richer, and the bitter finish mellows considerably. Mouthfeel is medium.
    Overall, not bad...I plan to let the next one warm a bit before tasting. I gave it a 3.5.
    [​IMG]

40. FlowerPowerQueen724

FlowerPowerQueen724 Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2014 New York

[​IMG]

Drowning my sorrows.

mccorvey, Glenney67, Roxie_B and 11 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.