New Beer Sunday (week 508)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cavedave, Nov 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,006) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Good Morning all you Sincerely, Beerly, Dearly, or Merely fine suds loving fans of finagling fresh froth on Sunday, Happy New Beer Sunday.

Chill and cloudy with scattered patches of late to sublime snow lingering along lane and way this A.M. Cold hardly deters recycling though, and my neighbors were out doing their wonderful work. To those who also take moments to care for our Mother, as always I thank you. Thirsty work it was too, luckily the cure is merely a staircase into the cellar away. Hope equally satisfying libations are in your futures as well. Some kind soul also dropped off a nice battery powered child's 4 wheeler, and the son of one of our own, @doomXsaloon, will soon be tooling around on it.

Today is the day, and this is the place. Why not TRY a new beer today? TELL us about it. What do you taste, smell, and think? Do you LOVE it? Why? What do you love about it? Not your "cup of tea "(love mixing metaphors heheh)? What didn't you care for in the beer? Your review or a description that tells a story is greatly appreciated by all. Feel free to hopshot our heads (in homebrew fashion of course ) with linked review, pics, videos, and other world wide web wackiness to enhance our virtual tasting session.

Thanks to everyone for their participation, thus making NBS fresh, fun, and informative.

StoutHunter, 2beerdogs, 2Xmd and 27 others like this.
  2. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,660) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Good morning Dave and the rest of the NBS regulars, and welcome to any newcomers, as well.

This morning I got things kicked off with a Supremely Agitated Creature. Err, Clown Shoes' Extremely Angry Beast!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Served in #AppropriateGlassware

Pours with a super dark brown head; good looking brew. Chocolate stout aroma immediately wafts out; closer inspection reveals a very balanced brew of roasted barley and barrel aging. Chocolate and coffee help fill out the roasted barley profile; slightly sweet dark fruit and bananas from the malt and yeast; and bourbon from the barrels.

The flavor is exceptionally well balanced and representative of the nose. I couldn't pick out rum barrels on the aroma, but there's a touch on the tongue; waves of roasted barley come through as chocolate, toast, cream, and coffee; big bourbon notes carry you through on the finish.

I don't get much wood from the barrels, but there's plenty of booze, with a very long, hot finish.

If you're a booze lover, this is a great stout for you. The 12% is manifested in your chest, not in your mouth. (It's like an alcoholic's reverse-M&M.)

And of course, I can't enjoy this beer without thinking of this classic:

Cheers, NBSers; enjoy your Sunday, enjoy your new brew, and enjoy the NFL (if you so choose).

Edit: duh! Forgot the review:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22951/125403/?ba=Roguer
    4.18 / -0.5% / Beer review #705

Homebrew, LeRose, sharpski and 36 others like this.
  3. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Cheers NBS! Today I am drinking a lovely and much lower abv stout from Samuel Smith. This beer was a lovely wakeup and I would gladly have it anytime. Sorry about the blurry photo.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4.13/5 rDev -2.1%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours not completely black. It has darker brown hues and from the very middle of the glass emanating softly is a shy ruby blush. Fat mousse like head of mocha colored foam that lasts, falls to a ring and leaves lace. Nose is deep with roasted malt scents. There's a sweet lush caramel , a bit of weak coffee, bitter chocolate and some scent from oats in the background as well. This beer has an earthy woody scent too that is hard to pin down. Taste is luscious. Smooth, creamy and full. The sweet caramel is first to grace the palate and then a big roasty taste follows. It has a bit of bitterness to it and it dries on the tongue leaving the coffee a bit stronger than on the nose and the bitter chocolate to come to finish. At the last moments there is that woody and earthy taste again with that sweet and very soft caramel to linger alongside all those big roasty flavors of bitter malt. I detected no hops on the nose and I can find none on the palate save for that bit of woodiness and to say this beer is well balanced and a delight to the disposition if you ask me. I like it precisely because it's not too sweet although it has an ample sweetness. Finishes with a bit of bite from carbonation.

Hope all of you have a happy and lovely sunday!

Homebrew, hutch98, LeRose and 43 others like this.
  4. SteveB3014

SteveB3014 Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2013 Pennsylvania

[​IMG]

Will be trying all three of these brews for the first time later! I'm very excited. My dad will be joining in on the fun as well! I'll be over my parents house later for the Eagles game (should be a great game). Don't know if I'll get the chance later (which is why I'm posting this pre-tasting), but I'll try to update how they drink.

Cheers and happy NBS!

Homebrew, kemoarps, StLeasy and 17 others like this.
  5. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Poo-Bah (1,791) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

New Helles Lager Sunday!

Hello NBS advocates, the clock struck noon and I was in the mood for a new beer so I got one. It looks like it is going to get cold around these parts next week which is cool :wink:. Anyway I have been passing up on buying this one for a while because I couldn't commit to a 50$ case or a 12$ six pack but finally found one for 2$ a bottle and pulled the trigger!

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/199/38861/?ba=FatBoyGotSwagger

[​IMG]

And one other thing these Julian dating codes are a slimy crock of shit pardon my french. Even in the comfort of my own home the best I can get at with a calculator is that this one was brewed on the 233rd day of the year so 233/30= 7.76th month or late Augest/early September. I mean it is better than nothing but come on man!

[​IMG]

Cheers to beers and ball!

6. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,754) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Wow, I just realized it's been a ridiculously long time since I've had that beer, or indeed any Sam Smith beers. I think I'll be hitting that or their Imperial Stout (the first IS I ever had, IIRC) later this week.

7. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,079) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Good day, NBS :wink:

In my brain on account of a game...

Meanwhile, expediting...
    [​IMG]
    Cold and grey fall day :sunglasses:
    [​IMG]
    Start stout, stay strong... :stuck_out_tongue:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Consumed and reviewed --> Bell's Expedition Stout
    [​IMG]
    ...and paired! (Sharing Your Pairing thread)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    An excellent Russian Imperial Stout - right there with the best of 'em.
    [​IMG]
    Glad I got another one in the fridge :grinning:

Latest live clip fave from Eths...

Discovered that another fave band, He Is Legend, released an album a few months ago! :grimacing:
    Track two...

Title track...

More beer and football to follow...

Cheers! :sunglasses:

#7 Greywulfken, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  8. woemad

Society Trader

Totally with you on that. When you are in a store looking at freshness dates it's really annoying to have to stop and do math! The whole point of freshness dates is to clearly mark how fresh the beer is - turning it into a mathematical exercise tends to undermine that.

kemoarps, mackeyse, Ri0 and 2 others like this.
  9. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,519) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

10. LMT

LMT Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2009 Virginia

I carry a Julian date conversion card in my wallet.

I pulled it out when shopping with my 10-year-old son once & he asked me what it was. I told him it was a card that showed me what dates were on the bottle.

He said "oh, it's a calendar." I said, "no, not really." He looked at me like I was a weirdo & didn't ask any more questions.

OK. It would be easier if all breweries just had MM/DD/YY bottled on dates on their berwes.

11. JMS1512

JMS1512 Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2013 New Jersey

A fine day to you, boozalicious British blokes and imbibing Irish idjits. A great guten tag, you genuinely germane Germans and Absolutely atrocious Americans, and lest we forget the myriad of major margins across the world and beyond: It's time for another anticipated and never duplicated NBS review from your resident Cicerone-in-study, JMS.

Today's pleasure includes: Smuttynose Wheat Wine (Big Beer Series)

Poured hard into my well-used Duvel glass

Sight- Raw sienna with orangey hues. Big beige head that recedes to a thin, caldera-like cap. Lacing leaves thick bands full of tiny pockmarks. Chill haze is present and settled, spread out on the bottom and sides of my glass.

Smell- Malty sweetness, a hint of hops. I also get a touch of fruit, but unsure of which one. Alcohol also present, but subtle for an almost 11% brew.

Taste- There is a definite malty sweetness here, balanced against a solid but not overpowering piney hops partner. At a cool temperature the alcohol is masked. As it warms, I’m sure it says “hello” with more confidence. I also get a woody dryness, sort of like the Lukcy Basartd I reviewed last week. Is there a touch of rye-like sour/spice, or is it just me?

Feel- It’s a full-figured woman of a beer (plenty of body). Medium or medium-plus coating, nice amount of carbonation.

Overall- Not as abrasive as its mainstream cousin, the barleywine, but VERY nice to drink on a chilly November in NWNJ.

And because I committed plenty of them in the paragraphs above, I present to you my musical contribution for today:

LeRose, sharpski, kemoarps and 24 others like this.
  12. micromaniac129

micromaniac129 Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

My first barrel aged narwhal
    The bourbon is right there in your face. Hints of vanilla creme mingle with the bourbon.
    A most pronounced bourbon taste on the palate.
    Coffee vanilla creme chocolate they all mingle nicely and very refined. A most excellent sipper.
    After my beloved eagles woup up on those cheese heads I'll have another.

[​IMG]

Ladies and Gentlemen.... Bombino

Homebrew, hutch98, LeRose and 34 others like this.
  13. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,015) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Sept 13.

14. JMS1512

JMS1512 Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2013 New Jersey

Fitz... my new standard for porter. Welcome to the club.

Chickenhawk9932, cavedave and woemad like this.
  15. woemad

Society Trader

I think we have a new addition to "You know you are a beer geek when..."

Actually not a bad idea. If I encountered more brewers than just BP that did that, I might get one myself.

16. woemad

Society Trader

Now you're just showing off! :slight_smile:

17. BeerDrinkersWorldTour

BeerDrinkersWorldTour Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2014 Northern Ireland

A happy new beer Sunday to you all...

So a few weeks Back I reviewed Guinness's Dublin Porter I'm back to review the West Indies Porter. I had been looking for these beers since they were released but Guinness seemed more interested tapping into the English market than they did the Northern Irish market. Anyone with a sense of irony will be tickled by that one.

[​IMG]

So here we go... "To the review cave beer boy"...

3.86/5 rDev +0.5%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - Deep rich coffee black colouration with a dirty tobacco coloured rocky head that dissapates very quickly.

Smell - Smell of maple syrup and coffee with some mild stewed plum and some slight burnt toffee from the malt.

Taste - Burnt toffee and molasses with some light plum. Pretty heavy coffee flavour and smokey character.

Mouthfeel - Fuller than the Dublin Porter but still slightly watery and thin. More body that the Dublin Porter also but also quite cloying.

Overall - Reasonably good porter but still not on point for its style. But closer to its style than the Dublin Porter was to its. This beer still leads me to believe that Guinness rushed these Porters out in a desperate attempt to claw back some of the market it has lost over the last few years.

And now for no reason at all Echo and The Bunnymen...

18. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

[​IMG]
    Fuzzy Knuckles by Defiance Brewing in Hays, Kansas

You may notice the snow on the bottom of the glass and can. We got our first snow this season here in Kansas, and I can't think of a better beer to drink on New Beer Sunday than a homegrown beer that's brewed with cocoa nibs and coffee. This imperial stout is excellent. The cocoa nibs offer a chalky cocoa note, while the finish offers more tradition roasted malts and bitter coffee found in this style. If you stick your nose in it and inhale deeply, you'll get a fair amount of cocoa, coffee, and black licorice. 8% ABV. Hays, Kansas is a potty break on the way to Colorado, but Defiance Brewing make damn good beer there. Time to watch the Chiefs take on Seattle. Cheers.

Homebrew, LeRose, sharpski and 30 others like this.
  19. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,092) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Good Morning and Afternoon all,
    Although not as cold as yesterday, it's chilly and a "perfect" day (if such a thing exists) to rake leaves. My wife and I hauled piles of hardwood leaves to the front yard, working hard, building thirst and maybe some character as well! It's one of those between Fall and Winter days and beautiful. We also walked the hounds about 3 miles preparing for our labor. Greta and Otis are asleep now, dreaming of heading out again.
    The first photo is Harviestoun Old Engine Oil Reserve warming up, along with my post work NoDa Hop Drop'n Roll to help ease the old aching bones. Later, the Harviestoun on its own, beautiful, aromatic, a creamy looking wonder deep and dark, a touch dangerous looking! While weighing in at 9%, you'd think this baby to be sweetish, but the hop additions keep the alcohol and sugar at bay. This is a beautiful roasty and rich brew that is DEEPLY satisfying. I can imagine this lovely with a big stew, or to finish the evening with style. I highly recommend this one to anyone that hasn't tried the Harviestoun range of beers. It is excellent!
    In keeping with the Scottish and British theme, these are my guitar heroes. Please listen to this picking and particularly to the passion of Richard Thompson. I've seen him twice here in Greensboro through the years and he is a genius for sure.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

20. aoampm

aoampm Champion (854) Apr 26, 2014 Hawaii
    Trader

Happy sunday everyone! Starting off my sunday morning with a stout from Clown Shoes.
    [​IMG]
    Apparently this beer used to be named Vampire Slayer but they got sued because of the name, leading to the artwork;
    [​IMG]

The appearance of this beauty is jet black with a chocolate brown one finger head. The lacing on this one is noticeable. On the nose I'm getting a hickory and chocolate type of smell, along with roasted malt aromas. Also getting hints of licorice in there. Taste wise, this one is a great imperial stout. Overwhelming chocolate flavor accompanied with a little wood spice from the hickory and ash. I'm also picking up some coffee notes in there as-well. The feel is quite smooth for such a big and bold beer. It is fairly thick and really lingers on the tongue after each sip. Overall this is a lovely beer, another great stout from Clown Shoes.

4.38/5 rDev +3.8%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

¡Salud!

Homebrew, LeRose, sharpski and 32 others like this.
  21. rorjets

rorjets Meyvn (1,225) Nov 20, 2012 Connecticut

Found this at Yankee Spirits in Attleboro, with it's incredible selections of beer. Although it claims to be a beer from Martha's Vineyard, it's actually contract brewed at Mercury Brewing in Ipswich, MA. This ale created a creamy head when poured, that sustained itself while I drank it, with some nice lacing. My initial taste reaction was one of good balance between caramel-tinged sweetness and a leafy vegetable flavor. So perhaps they really did add grape leaves from the vineyard as they claim on the bottle. The finish had a subtle bitterness. I have to admit I also like the wicked Mermaid on the label, with her 'bad' tatoo, and the saying on the cap! My overall opinion - Get Bad! A deeelicious ale that I would buy again, despite the fact it is a bit of a marketing gimmick that isn't really brewed out on the island.

[​IMG]

LeRose, sharpski, kemoarps and 21 others like this.
  22. mattcrill

mattcrill Meyvn (1,310) Mar 16, 2004 Ohio

New Russian Imperial Stout Sunday
    Greetings fellow NBS brethren! Weather in Central OH is cold with snow flurries. Seemed appropriate to break out this gem today.

Posting this with a little bit of a heavy heart as I'm learning that uptown Athens, OH was hit pretty bad with a fire last night. Not only is it the home of Ohio U, my alma mater, but also the home of a great brewery and great people at Jackie O's. It looks like they sustained some water damage but I'm trying to find out more. Anyway, say a prayer, send some positive vibes, do whatever you do but this BA is hoping they can survive and thrive again soon.

Hope you all have a fine American Ale in your snifter, flute, or pint glass today.

Peace, love, and malty-ness,

Matt

Evil Twin I Love You With My Stout

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24300/118553/?ba=mattcrill

4.45/5 rDev +6.2%

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aroma: Rum soaked raisins up front. Boozy vanilla and oaky notes assault the senses. Lots of rich dark fruit character. Very inviting.

Appearance: Jet black pour with a 2 finger khaki head. Head retention is fair. Appears still in the glass. Nice legs coat the snifter.

Flavor: More boozy raisin and vanilla notes up front. A pleasant roasted character asserts mid-palate. Notes of espresso, caramel, and toasted marshmallow fill the palate. There is a background earthy hop bitterness. Balance is to the roasted bitterness. Finish is dry with a long roasted aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium-low carbonation. Slightly oily and creamy.

Overall impression: A big, bad, bold stout. Worth savoring and aging. Well done!

23. RonaldTheriot

RonaldTheriot Poo-Bah (3,753) Aug 11, 2008 Louisiana
    Society

[​IMG] 5.6% alcohol. 11.7 IBU. Brewed in Katy, Texas. I bought a bottle at H.E.B. in The Woodlands, Texas.

sharpski, Premo88, StLeasy and 6 others like this.
  24. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,714) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Hey what's going on?!?

ugh... crazy week... but I am loaded with lots of new goodies and can't wait to dig em dig em!!

Going to be blasting out home made Thai curry as the lemongrass is officially harvested for the season. Love that mortar and pestle. Going very broke on my budget as lots of new goodies have been coming into the area too.

So what's new for our hero today?

Evil Twin / Intangible Ales Sour Bikini - Evil Twin Brewing

[​IMG]

Evil Twin Brewing / Intangible Ales - Sour Bikini Pale by imbibehour, on Flickr

Review here or read below: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24300/82842/?ba=smakawhat

----------------------

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass.

Minimal head creation, faint white at a finger to fall to a simple collar. Body color is kind of odd. A rusty and brown yellow. Opaque. Not much visible carbonation, and a little lifeless looking.

Big tropical fruit nose, hints of peaches, and juiced up lychee fruit. Not much else going on, not hinting of tartness or a sense of sourness coming. Real impressive juiced fruit aroma.

Palate comes with a light and refreshing session feel, but with a very wet body. Mild tartness and the fruit action comes nicely. Not much malt presence, as it seems to emphasize the other beers aspects. Not much chewy depth, but with a great fruity notes. Tolerable and controlled sour aspects, with moderate carbonation. An aftertaste of tannic pear skin a bit too.

It comes off as a real nice fruit aromatic beer with of course no added fruit which is impressive and sour twinge, so it's hard to pin down an angle. It is though a drinkable easy beer, but doesn't really grab me to have another.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Final rating: 3.7
    -----------------------------------------------

Homebrew, LeRose, sharpski and 29 others like this.
  25. Bitterbill

Society Trader

2beerdogs, kemoarps, Premo88 and 2 others like this.
  26. Roxie_B

Roxie_B Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2014 Alabama

Happy NBS!
    Monday is creeping up on me like Nemesis. The weather is chilly and damp. Beer time yes?
    Bell's Venus.
    Soapy. The vanilla and the fruit with just a bit of alcohol left me with the impression of a (clean at least!) lady’s room. The apricot and sour was nice but the vanilla in it tasted artificial and like a tacked on froufrou note to fit the concept of Venus as a female astrological influence. Soap + artificial tasting sweetness with hints of floral and vanilla combine with the appropriate amber color and fluffy head, and somehow waxy mouth feel to give an impression of hand soap.

I’m sad that I missed Mars. Reports on that one where exciting. This is…yeah. Not so much. In conclusion? I love Bell’s usually but this is the perfect beer to hide in a bathroom and drink. Which is an alternative I may consider rather than facing the real world again tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

Homebrew, hutch98, LeRose and 30 others like this.
  27. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,106) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

New Bourbon Barrel Wee Heavy Sunday

According to the National Weather Service, we are in line to get 2-4 inches of snow tomorrow, so I spent some quality time with my leaf blower this morning. Highs in the teens Tuesday. Man, I thought last winter lasted forever… I feel for you @Bitterbill. I antelope hunt over in Glenrock. -18 there is not the same as here. For those of you who tuned into WBAYDN edition #756, you may have seen this:

[​IMG]
    It did not turn out as well as I hoped. Need to tweak the ratios a bit still. I went with 2 caps full of bourbon (too much) and a 50/50 and then 60/40 in favor of cream stout, but I think it may need to be the other way. You out there @jzeilinger?

Annnywaaayyy… Today this is happening.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22072/78247/?ba=WesMantooth#navigation

Overall - An excellent bourbon barrel Wee Heavy. A do think it is slightly hot/boozy across the entire range of temperatures, and a tad thin on body, but has some really good qualities. For me, even though I enjoy it, I would personally have a hard time buying again based on the fact I can get (much better) Wulver for less money. I don't think anyone would be disappointed in this purchase though. I suggest trying if you see it.

[​IMG]

I was looking at some small caliber pistols, and came across this review.
    [​IMG]

Homebrew, buzzedup, LeRose and 29 others like this.
  28. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,942) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

New Belgian Strong Pale Ale Sunday

Whoop! Whoop! The sound of the police.
    Whoop! Whoop! The neighbor of the beast.

[​IMG]

Sorry but this beer has that song stuck firmly in my head. Anyway, happy NBS guys! Cloudy and cold while working in the yard today. Okay so I was mostly raking leaves in piles so the little guy could romp through them. Very little was actually accomplished. The cloudy and cold part is true though. Pretty decent beer I brought back from NY a month or two ago, warming me up for sure.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/357/58731/

Cheers!

29. woemad

Society Trader

It’s a balmy 23 degrees in the largest city between Seattle and Minneapolis. I’m only half-kiddng when I say “balmy”. For most of the week, we’ve been enjoying the soul-destroying cold temperatures and wind chills that come with being on the extreme west edge of that nasty cold front that came down from Canada. On the plus side, we were “near-missed” by snow. I’m not emotionally prepared for snow yet, so that was fine with me.

Yesterday the college football gods gave me the spectacle of UW playing one of their best games against a good team this year, then yanked away victory literally in the final seconds. My EWU Eagles enjoyed a week off to rest up for what will hopefully be a victorious final game, followed by a playoff run. Last night I opened up a bomber of Fat from Silver City. It wasn’t a new beer, but I had to buy it in Olympia, and it was only the second or third bottle of it I’ve ever had. Silver City – please, please get your bottles distributed to Spokane!

Today I went with an IPA from Tacoma that I liked way more than most (nearly +26%), but only one other BA has gone beyond rating it and actually wrote a review, and he liked it too:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/32084/115065/?ba=woemad

I thought it was kind of like a throwback to the old bitter & piney IPA style, which I happen to dig. Maybe it wasn’t trendy enough for some. I’ve got a couple of other goodies on-deck, and this Seahawk game is virtually guaranteed to cause some desperation drinking, so I’ll be back.

LeRose, sharpski, 2beerdogs and 21 others like this.
  30. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

In a world with no shortage of good IPA's it looks like we have another one.
    Sierra Nevada Boomerang IPA This is the palest IPA I think I've ever seen. Light of body, full of citrus and very refreshing. Boomerang would be a great summer brew. I wonder why it's in the Snow Pack. Awesome beer in any case.

LeRose, kemoarps, StLeasy and 14 others like this.
  31. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Poo-Bah (1,791) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

32. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,079) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Two Brothers' Wobble IPA (review #752)

[​IMG]
    Pickles

Cat knows there's sammitches up there...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    But getting none, settles in instead...

Cool games - a lotta excitement, right?

Speaking of cool, how cool is Amazon Prime?
    [​IMG]
    Ordered Friday night, delivered today :sunglasses:

There's a thread about how much beer you need in order to do a review...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I need a full glass (12 oz.), but ideally, I wanna have two full pours...

"One for you and one for review" :wink:
    [​IMG]
    Real nice IPA - nothing that's gonna leap into your top 10 or anything, but clean, fresh, and hop-forward with a well-executed assemblage of pine and citrus impressions. Malt base is appropriately scaled, lending some roundness and chew, but nothing to draw your attention away from the hop action.

Of course, while I've been posting...

Nothing new from this point on, so I'll see ya in WBAYDN...

Here's to new beers :grinning: Cheers!

33. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan

[​IMG]

Bottled 10/16/13. Poured 11/16/14. I got this in Wisconsin in July. Finally cracked it open.

Appearance: Aggressive pour brought on a slow forming brown head that wound up being three fingers in height. This stout is pitch black with nothing getting through the glass. The lacing is really great -- plenty of it all over the glass. (4.5/5)

Smell: Everything you'd want from an Imperial Stout: lots of chocolate and roasted malt. There's some coffee character in there, but that aroma accents more than anything. I don't get any kind of dark fruits on the aroma, but I do get a caramel quality and a plain cake doughnut sort of smell that I usually pick up in high ABV stouts -- especially BBA'd ones. I know, I'm weird. (4.75/5)

Taste/feel: Absolutely delicious. The taste is almost exactly like the aroma, and I have zero problems with that. The mouth feel is fantastic... not super heavy, but pretty full-bodied, with a light carbonation. It feels like chocolate milk in beer form. Lots of smooth milk chocolate flavors coming through in this beer with caramel malts... the finish is some roasted malt and coffee with a little much needed bitterness that balances out the initial sweetness. I don't really get any dark fruit flavors to speak of... this reminds me of a more balanced Chocolate Manifesto. Speedway Stout still remains a somewhat sweet Imperial Stout overall, but then again it is 12% ABV. (4.5/5, 4.75/5)

4.63/5 (rDev +5.5%)

Excellent, and the best I've had from the style. Worthy of every bit of the praise it receives.

Homebrew, LeRose, sharpski and 33 others like this.
  34. OldeSchool

OldeSchool Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2013 Florida

[​IMG]
    Pours a dark, cloudy, orange-brown with a fluffy head that persists quite a while.

Smell is spicy: cinnamon and nutmeg prevalent.

Taste: I'm not anything like an expert, but this reminded me of some of the Abbey Ales I have tried: fruity but not sweet, with a dry finish. Not bad overall.

Feel: mouthfeel seemed medium; not overly heavy nor light.

Overall: I'm not a fan of the style, but this one was pretty well done. I won't go out of my way to find it again, but I would gladly drink it if it was available.

jzlyo, sharpski, kemoarps and 20 others like this.
  35. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (443) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Trader

2 caps? not meaning to preach. i've experimented similarly, many times. if you are trying to get something near the influence of typical "barrel aging", you'll probably want a medicine dropper adding like 3-5 drops. try putting the spirit in the glass first swirling it around gently, then pour the beer over it.

36. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,106) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

I guess I should have specified roughly 1 cap for each glass, but I agree. It was still 3-4 times more than needed. After all, those barrels are in fact empty when they put beer in them. Hard to recreate that "seeping" effect. Obviously, I dont expect to do what they acheive in 10 months in in 10 seconds, but some have turned out to be quite enjoyable. The weird thing is, I did 1/2 of an oz in a pumpkin beer and loved it, but that is way too much for any imperial stout. I suppose because the ABV is already considerably higher. Thanks for the input

kemoarps, woemad and Highbrow like this.
  37. Bitterbill

Society Trader

Can you spot my cat in this pic?

[​IMG]

sharpski, kemoarps, Premo88 and 13 others like this.
  38. woemad

Society Trader

Although I've heard of the other two, I'm most familiar with Richard Thompson, who I've really come to like over the last few years. Why a guitarist of that caliber isn't a bigger name than he already is boggles the mind.

TongoRad likes this.
  39. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,660) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Breaking out my second - and possibly final - new brew this Sunday. This one comes courtesy of @JayORear and is definitely the most unique beer in my lineup this week (but not the only barrel aged beer this day).

[​IMG]

Everyone get down on one knee and bow your head for the holy Agave Maria.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is an absolutely unique brew. Aged in two kinds of tequila barrels (añejo and reposado) and with agave syrup added, this beer is clearly going for one profile. Yet, it comes across as one of the most deeply complex beers I've ever had.

There's a ton of "green" flavor in the aroma and taste; it ranges from a sprig of mint or parsley to chewing on a leaf. Agave definitely makes an appearance, but it's far more subtle than the bourbon in, say, a BBA stout. The malt profile is densely packed, coming through with notes of toffee, brown sugar, tannin, coffee, and chocolate - but all in relatively small measures. It's also relatively tart and puckering.

Really, no one flavor dominates. It also represents the 13.5% ABV phenomenally well; there's no hint in the mouth, and just a bit of a warming effect in the chest.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/18149/116617/?ba=Roguer
    3.88 / -3.5%

Really, I've got this brew rated a little lower than I expected, simply because, despite the cornucopia of flavors, I don't really love it. I do like it, though, and holy damn, it's a unique brew, unlike anything else I've ever tried.

Cheers!

40. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,092) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Like I said, I've seen him here twice over 20 years, and he is an amazing guitarist, showman, and a "quiet" legend. My musician friends revere him as the "best" guitarist and keeper of tradition that exists.

BBThunderbolt, TongoRad and woemad like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.