New Beer Sunday (week 582)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cavedave, Apr 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrewsingBuffalo

BrewsingBuffalo Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2015 New York

Hello fellow BA's. Hope you're enjoying your Sunday. The weather is brilliant here. I have a couple of new stouts to choose from today, and will delve into a little later. For now I'm going to enjoy the sun and do some reading of "How to Brew". I hope to find some great new beers to read up on when I come back. Cheers!

2. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Continuing with beers from our New Been Sunday BIF, this is Foundation Stout from Badger Hill Brewing in Minnesota. A beer I received from @garymuchow , who also sent me a t-shirt from this brewery.

[​IMG]

That Summit beer in the background is on deck and warming as I write this.

Here are my thoughts on the beer and thanks again to Gary:

4.04/5 rDev +0.5%
    look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

From a 12 ounce can into a nonic ten ounce glass.

Starts off excellently with a beautiful appearance. Black body with some amber hues. Got all the froth and lace I want from a stout.

Pulling aromas of black licorice, raisin and roasted malt from the nose and some dark bread. I likey. Even a bit smokey and that's just fine.

Nose was honest with me. Tastes exactly how the nose told me it should. Hints of smoke, raisin, dark licorice and rye bread. Dark chocolate begins to emerge as I drink away at this.

Drinks pretty well too. Light in body and smooth, but with a gentle roast and touch of carbonation to offer some presence.

A nice easy drinker with some rich flavors. Good stuff.

gopens44, kemoarps, LeRose and 36 others like this.
  3. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,299) Mar 22, 2015 Arizona
    Society

welcome to our little slice of paradise .

4. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,656) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Well Done!!! Welcome, and please come back. Straight Jacket (a large bottle) at 1AM. Another pro here.:wink:

5. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,413) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Cheers NBSers! Trying to transition from the Stouts and heavier ales/lagers now that the weather is warming up a bit.
    I'm checking in with Ommegang's Gnomegang - Belgian Strong Pale Ale.

[​IMG]

This brew has notes of citrus/tropical fruits like pear, apricot, peach and green apple. Great mouthfeel, as I would have never guessed that this checked in at 9.5%ABV. I'm enjoying this one and recommend it to all Belgian style beer fans. Cheers!

gopens44, kemoarps, LeRose and 29 others like this.
  6. Pierre_Pressure

Pierre_Pressure Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2016 Pennsylvania

Yeah....I then smartly followed it up with BCBS. After that I was ready for a second straight jacket. Of a different variety though....

7. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,350) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Two more Ohio beers for me today, both from Elevator Brewing.

First up is Bleeding Buckeye Red Ale

[​IMG]

Looks great with its thick and foamy beige head sitting on top this crystal clear redness that's happening.

I get a lot of sweet malty fun in the nose, as it's a little reminiscent of that fresh malts smell that's you get in a brewery, but on the sweeter side.

Taste immediately rings the nose true as it leans to malty sweet and a little tart fig or something similar. Following is a bitterness that is fairly nondescript, like bitter soda water. Subsequent tastes bring out more berry, maybe even cola. Nothing overly hoppy.

A little sweetness lingers, but mostly the aftertaste is a bit like a vegetable aftertaste.

I wasn't really expecting much from this one (not reason other than the "the" Ohio State University association. ...) but turns out to be a pretty nice little beer.

The second Elevator Brewing beer is Three Frogs IPA

[​IMG]

Orange beer with a generous foamy head that holds up a good while, only allowing minimal recession for the foamy lacing to appear.

I think the nose is a little muted from the head perhaps since all I really get is something just "generally" bitter without any real signature.

Taste provides a bit more as I have a nice floral bitter happening before a sweet berry taste falls in behind.

Little bit of earthy bitterness in the aftertaste, not much else.

8. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,375) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Welcome!! A very nice opening salvo, hope to see you back! (With pics :wink:)

Ok, so we decided to get out of the house I this nice day. Sorta. Top down and the long way to one of our favorite breweries, Ocelot. So officially we're back inside, by sitting in some sun:
    [​IMG]

The GF went with Vandals, an IPA with Mosaic, and it shows up in all its glory I the whiff/sip I had. Powerful and I'm presuming quite fresh. I went with Reissue: Galaxy, a series where each Reissue features a single hop. I do not know if they are SMaSH beers, but I will have to ask. Anyhow this APA clocks in at 5.7% and in very general terms is a lot more bitter than you might expect from a traditional APA. In fact, I'd say it leans a little towards a session IPA (though not quite as watery).

A lovely looking beer, nice white head provides some equally nice lacing:
    [​IMG]

Nose is muted but some tropical floral notes seem to rise up. A swirl opens up the fruity notes, but they are more of the peel and pith and rind of a fruit than the flesh. Evidence of bitterness to come...

Grassy and pithy are the main bitter notes I get, and I get the up front. There's only a light cracker grain note to stand up against these. Orange and the lighter hint at pineapple are the actual fruit notes I perceive (more than directly taste). The Galaxy hop profile calls for passionfruit, which I canget in more obvious examples, but not sure in this beer. Feel is medium light, with fairly caressing carbonation.

I like this better than the Ella, but not nearly as much as the Mosaic Reissue. Cheers all!

#48 cjgiant, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    gopens44, kemoarps, LeRose and 35 others like this.
  9. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

Holy crap is mother nature confused today. It is April, not July! I'm not complaining though as I have done a weeks worth of work already and it is just past 1PM. Before I get back to work, it is a relaxed lunch break and beer for me.

Time for an easy drinking WI beer. It's hard for me not to buy these $5.50 16oz canned 4 packs even if they are fairly conservative. Bull Falls makes some tasty Euro style beer though. I'm really not sure if this is an Amber or ESB.

The aroma is somewhat weak with bready notes, slightly fruity, and light earthy hops. The initial flavor is a dose of bready malts, but becomes more balanced from U.S. Golding hops, this combination permits a beautiful sweetness, without being cloying. Feel is rather light and crisp. Enjoyable on such a beautiful warm day (so rare in April) in WI.

[​IMG]

gopens44, kemoarps, LeRose and 34 others like this.
  10. Jay_P22

Jay_P22 Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2016 Virginia

New brew Sunday. First wicked weed beer. Freak of Nature is great. A well balanced DIPA full of hops, citrus and a slight bitterness. Dank AF. Definitely recommend if you can trade for it. I have a pernicious in the fridge as well.

[​IMG]

gopens44, kemoarps, LeRose and 28 others like this.
  11. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

On to a second new beer today and again it comes from the NBS BIF and @garymuchow . It's an english barleywine, a style I love and prefer my miles over American (read: overly hopped messes) barleywines. This is pretty damn tasty and dessert-like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4.18/5 rDev +2.5%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter.

A- Amber and copper with fine clarity and light head that quickly becomes a ring of lace and film.

S- This is intriguing. Caramel for sure, but also some cinnamon notes, banana and french toast.

T- Just as with the nose, there's a prominent banana flavor here that combines with the caramel to resemble bananas foster. Something very dessert-like here. Finish is a big dose of caramel and brown sugar and sweetness. Again, this is liquid dessert. Through much contemplation I realized there's a light earthy hop flavor at the beer's entrance.

M- As I mentioned above, opens a bit dry and lightly bitter and gets progressively sweeter. Has an estery feel that isn't what I'm used to with english barleywines but that works here.

Another Minnesota gem. This is good. I'd love to pay a visit in another year.

12. CanadianBacon

CanadianBacon Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2015 Canada (QC)

Review number 2 is Central City Brewing and Distillers Red Racer IIPA. This beer looks like an amber in your glass its so clear and it is delicious. The reason I'm saying its not as good as other DIPA/IIPA's I've had is because of the way this beer delivers its flavors, It smacks your palate with them instead of handing them to you and letting you decipher them and I feel after the bottle it may Wipe your palate out for awhile! cheers!
    [​IMG]
    3.86/5 rDev -7.7%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appearance - This beer pours a window clear deep amber color and when I say clear, it is so clear it looks like a cut of an actual amber in my glass, It poured with 1 and a half fingers of off white head which faded leaving a ring. This looks pretty delicious.

aroma - Big resiny nose, Pine stands out followed by grapefruit and lemon, Balanced out with light caramel and slightly stronger pale crackery malts. It smells a lot like a bigger version of their IPA which I guess is what they were going for!

Taste - Mash Pine needles into a syrup and thats what hits your tongue first. Its followed by a more subdued grapefruit and very light lemon rinds. Honestly like I need to make a point on how sappy this beer is, the pine litterally tastes like evergreen sap! The beer is then balanced again backwards to the taste, the caramel malts seem stronger than the pale malts. but they are both there.

Feel - The body is definitely a clear medium with sharp carbonation, It finishes very crisp and bitter, the feel goes really well with the flavor profile.

Overall - This isn't my favorite Imperial/double and personally I think their IPA is better, with that said this is still a very good IIPA the flavors and aromas mesh well the feel is on point and it looks good. It just falls behind some of the best out there. So for the question of would I drink this again? yes absolutely!

★1,385 characters

gopens44, kemoarps, LeRose and 29 others like this.
  13. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,979) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

New American IPA Sunday (week 582)
    Greetings fellow NBSers from on the ridge in Mid Hud Val, NY. Beautiful weather brought the folks out this weekend and I have been in constant motion for the entirety of it. Pretty beat up today at work. Had to spend a couple of hours inside the cardboard roll off, making room and pulling non qualifiers. Here is the view from inside. Don't try this at home, it is eight feet down to the bottom and no way to get back up.
    [​IMG]
    Steel/metal got out of hand, no time to spend helping folks place it in, so it ended up like this to start the day today. I should have taken a pic of the end of day, as folks managed to go another six feet above this 40 yarder's water line before day was through.
    [​IMG]
    Which leads us to the tired and thirsty bag of old bones I am right now, happily sipping another incredibly delicious beer from BIF 3 courtesy of my new best friend who I have never met, @kemoarps. Thanks for these beers, they have been staggeringly delicious. This one is Hop Burst Galaxy, by Stoup Brewing.
    [​IMG]
    Beautiful pour, almost clear gold with a finger of white foam, and finally a nice skim and thick ring with copious lace left on glass.

Sweet citrus and light floral make a simple and wonderful aroma that is medium strength but quite enticing.

Man what a great taste, all kinds of fruit going on, I get grapefruit, lemon, peach, nectarine, melon, and a gentle herbal bitter that grabs citrus pith to end the sip with drying depth. Delicious.

Light bodied, plenty of resin, low carb., Despite the copious hop resin, it is light/medium viscosity. Killer clean finish leaves the palate with extreme desire for the next sip.

Just a simple and delicious homage to Galaxy hops that is refreshing, delicious, and a treat that I don't hesitate to give highest recommendation. Grab if you spot it you won't be disappointed for sure.

Hope you also have a Great American Beer in your glass. Cheers!

gopens44, kemoarps, LeRose and 37 others like this.
  14. laketang

Society

my only entry to NBS blue moon summer honey wheat

[​IMG]

mr. frog says : color is light and refreshing , has a golden look.
    small head but lots of bubbles rising
    has a sweet malty smell, some hoppiness
    balanced malt and a touch of honey make this easy to drink
    I will try again in even warmer weather! very drinkable

gopens44, kemoarps, LeRose and 28 others like this.
  15. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Magnetic Roots IPL on tap. This brew is a collaboration between the local brew pub, Trap Rock and Magnify Brewing. 7% ABV brewed with Azacca and Hollertau hops. I haven't had to many IPL's but this is the best one I have drunk.Nice white head, a golden color, an aroma of pine and citrus fruit, this beer is hoppy but balanced with a nice hop presence full mouth feel and a nice hoppy after taste. A well made and tasty brew.

gopens44, kemoarps, LeperJim and 21 others like this.
  16. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,106) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

Good stuff.

VABA, kemoarps and CanadianBacon like this.
  17. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,106) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

Welcome to Ba and NBS. Nice review and an even better user name

VABA, kemoarps, LeperJim and 6 others like this.
  18. CanadianBacon

It really is, It had to be my favorite of the day so far!

VABA, kemoarps and WesMantooth like this.
  19. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

Enjoying the generosity of @BigRedDog from the NBS BIF

Transient Artisan Ales Black Raspberry Maigre. This is outstanding
    [​IMG]
    Perfect beer for a beautiful day like today

Here is my review.
    4.3/5 rDev +0.7%look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Received a BIF from @BigRedDog A: Beautiful beer deep ruby purple (is that a color) very thick effervescent. Pink head no real lacing S: Berry and slight sour aroma T: Blackberry, Rasberry, Bing cherry, grassy with a bit of sour My: crisp clean fruity. O: Great beer. Just enough souring and tons of berry. I will definitely seek out more from transient.

Warren Zevon

#59 SammyJaxxxx, Apr 17, 2016
    VABA, BigRedDog, gopens44 and 36 others like this.
  20. smanson56

smanson56 Champion (807) Feb 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

Good afternoon to all the NBS faithful and thanks again to Dave fore getting us off to a great start. And welcome to all the newbies and first time posters.
    Been a busy weekend here in central NH with the weather finally feeling like spring and so much stuff to be done we have a huge Trumpet vine in the yard which the humming birds love in the summer but the arbor that has supported the vine for over 15 years has come to the last of it's life.
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for the X-mas lights but the only picture of the old arbor I could quickly find. So I sent this morning constructing a new arbor for this great old vine I'm hoping it stays happy with it's new home and we see the huge groups of humming birds it brings each year.
    [​IMG]
    Early this morning in the process of looking for some fresh Halibut for dinner tonight I happened to stop at Fresh Market in Bedford, NH looking for some Yucca Root to go with the Halibut but sadly they didn't have any but they did have 4 packs of KBS on the shelf so it wasn't a wasted trip.
    So my new beer for this Sunday is from Lagunitas there 2016 one hitter series Bitter Oats.
    [​IMG]
    3.73/5 rDev -9.9%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer poured a dark golden orange color into my snifter glass.
    The nose is some dankness from the hops but loaded with sweetness from the malt.
    The taste if off for me perhaps an old bottle as no date was seen. But this seems very malty with little or no taste coming forward from the hops. The taste is almost that of a Barleywine to me.
    The mouthfeel is smooth with some alcohol burn from the ABV at 10.5
    To me this is not what I would call an Imperial IPA but to me closer to a Barleywine. It wasn't a bad beer and I did finish the bomber. It just wasn't what I expected.

21. laketang

Society

the fireworks went off in my head, I just got that user name now!

22. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,858) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Hello, all. I'm getting off to a late start in every way today because we were up at my parents place in upstate NY. Since I'm just now returning from Lowe's and still have a beautiful late afternoon to take advantage of, this will be a bit of a hit and run post.
    [​IMG]
    Surly Xtra Citra is perfect for right now. It's hoppy and dry, but not too much of either. I started out getting lots of grapefruit peel, but now mango and pineapple are starting to show themselves. Easy drinking, multi faceted and tasty - thumbs up! Thanks again, @Josholson666!

gopens44, kemoarps, LeRose and 37 others like this.
  23. smanson56

smanson56 Champion (807) Feb 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

We were out in that area yesterday also hit Newington and then the 7-11 in Kittery but decided to go to Hayseed at Smuttynose instead of heading to Deciduous to fill my empty growlers. Maybe someday we can run into each other and enjoy a beer.

24. CanadianBacon

I'm sure most of us are @Pierre_Pressure d to drink macros by family XD

kemoarps, woemad and laketang like this.
  25. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Meyvn (1,214) Nov 21, 2011 New Jersey
    Trader

New American DIPA Sunday!

Howdy and greetings form a beautiful Spring day here at the Jersey Shore. It's sunny, warm, and pleasant; great beer drinking weather. It's been a busy week, today's no different. Today started with a (very) early morning run. Then on to a round of golf in which my buddy insisted on playing from the way back tees. I'm not getting any younger and 7000 yards this early in the year is tough. No matter, we killed it. More Sunday goodness here: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/220/68269/?ba=NiceTaps#review

A great Lags offering, very solid.

[​IMG]

I'm drinking "dope" beer, I'll listen dope, too!
    There are great posts today. Some of that BIF stuff is sick.
    Thanks for letting me hang a bit.

All the best!

gopens44, kemoarps, LeRose and 31 others like this.
  26. Jay_P22

Jay_P22 Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2016 Virginia

Maine beer IV. First time I've had it. Got it from a friend at the brewery. Really nice. More west coast IPA than Maine usually does. Citrus and hops, complex. I like it. Recommend.

[​IMG]

gopens44, kemoarps, LeperJim and 22 others like this.
  27. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,751) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Perhaps it's a phrase from the southern hemisphere for something completely different than gardening.

"I knew a lass, in her youth time, who moved many, many a Kiwi vine."

kemoarps likes this.
  28. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (467) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina

Happy NBS!
    Its such a perfect day here in the low country...Too bad I'm stuck inside cleaning some rims before I get new tires put on them...
    At least I found some of these beers. Missed out on them at my usual store but randomly found them somewhere else so bought two 6 packs.
    So weird how I used to hate stouts and would struggle to finish them now I am literally craving stouts everytime I want a beer. I'm not complaining tho just funny how palates evolve.

So today from Coast brewing in Charleston SC.
    Blackbeerd Imperial Stout. 9.3%

[​IMG]

L: Pours a viscous jet black nice finger or so of tan creamy head with great retention.

S: Smooth roasty malts creamy yet bitter dark chocolate. But of a milk stout quality to the smell. Some licorice and Carmel also.

T: Starts off with a nice chocolate then the roasty bitterness comes with a maybe vegetal green pepper type taste? Bit more coffee up front as it warms..

F: Awesome mouthfeel. Enough carb ...velvety yet easily drinkable.

O: I really enjoyed this stout nice all around balance. Gonna pick up some more.

Cheers everyone!

#68 Invinciblejets, Apr 17, 2016
    gopens44, kemoarps, LeRose and 31 others like this.
  29. cavedave

Society Trader

New American Imp. Oatmeal Stout Sunday (week 582)
    I have tasted a lot of stouts, one of my favorite styles, and never thought I would taste one that was the equal of original Rare, but this one is as good for sure. Tasted it with 3 friends last Sunday, and likely the 14.5% ABV contributed to an eventual drunken happiness that prevented proper usage of my fingers to press letter keys on my computer. Thanks to @kemoarps for sending it in BIF 3, it so far has been the standout in a group of beers that includes many, many delicious treats.
    [​IMG]
    Pours a monstrously thick looking black with thin tan head that leaves oily slime legs that only grudgingly slide down glass. Gradually the head kicks back to a tan ring. Beauty, thou art a thick and oily stout!

Bourbon goodness fronts a full strength+ bouquet that features bitter chocolate, vanilla, light sherry notes, general dark fruit goodness, especially sweet cherry, some roasty notes that resemble coffee as the beer warms, some delicious black malt goodness as well. Astounding. Alluring.

All the flavors of the aroma are here in the taste, brightly displayed, balanced perfectly, each of them complimenting the others like a well practiced orchestra, creating a taste that is just off the charts delicious.

Creamy, viscous, perfect low/med. carb., alcohol completely hidden, superb finish that has a linger that inspires poetry.

Never thought I would taste a stout as good as original Rare, but this one is its equal in every way, and more drinkable to boot. Highest recommendation.

Hope you have a Great American Beer in your glass. Cheers!

30. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,486) Mar 7, 2013 Canada (QC)
    Society Trader

Hope everyone is having an awesome Sunday, absence of alliteration aside.

Based on the posts I have read so far it would seem that everybody is having some great beers so far and all (or nearly all) are basking in beautiful warm weather. Same thing here. The temperature really shot up today and it is just about perfect for my tastes.

Well, what better way to enjoy Spring and the inevitability of Summer than with a nice fresh lager courtesy of an awesome BA by the name of KC. This is one from the second trade I have ever done (both with this upstanding fellow); and I've gotta say, if I were to look at what is the most difficult about trading, it would be a toss-up between forcing myself to make the beer last and not dedicating all my time/effort/money/resources/etc. to more trading. I am hoping that I will be able to get in on the next NBS BIF, but we'll see. I worry about subjecting other folks to dealing with customs...

Anyway, on to the beer. This is a hoppy lager from Maine in a pint can with a very nice-looking label. Due to the name (although "that which gives light" seems like a pretty lazy translation to me) and the weather I figured I might as well douse the fucker in as much sunlight as possible.
    Hope I didn't skunk it.:stuck_out_tongue:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I open the can I am immediately hit with bright, pungent hop aromas. It pours very nice. Golden straw with a tight little white head. Both the aroma and flavor are bolder versions of a classic German Pilsner (says I). There is a very good balance between the pils malt and the hops. Both are there. Both are ever-present, but neither takes away from the other. Grassy, herbal, spicy, dry hops front and center with a thick (but not overpowering and full of DMS like some are) malt backbone. Very well-balanced, very clean, extremely drinkable.

[​IMG]

I'll admit, that when I saw that it was a hoppy pilsner I was worried it was gonna just be a thinly disguised IPA. How wrong I was. This is a great beer and any of you folks (@utopiajane , @JackHorzempa , @cavedave, et al.) who are fans of lagers should keep an eye out for this one.

Cheers all!

My review is here.

31. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,375) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Wow, high praise. Off to check a new want!

On way out now, but grabbed a sampler Ocelot's first BA beer I've seen - a BA Barleywine (listed here as English, though I'd argue it's American). Bitterness (not bold, but obvious) hits in the back, and that's maybe the difference b/t this and Hardywood's version that I really enjoy. They aren't doing growlers of this beer :slight_frown:, called My Sweet Virginia. It's one of those beers where the barrel seems to work with the beer versus dominating it. Too small a pour to do a official review but I did snap a pic:
    [​IMG]

(The background beer is Broken, a hoppy red ale; the one or two of you with good memories know it's not my style)

Cheers, yet again to all you NBSers :slight_smile:

gopens44, kemoarps, LeRose and 25 others like this.
  32. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

Enjoying New Berliner Sunday

Bruery Hottenroth with Peaches
    [​IMG]
    Really crisp and perfect for a beautiful Sunday afternoon

Here's my review:
    4.32/5 rDev +6.4%look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Bottled almost a year ago 4/21/15 A: Pours a hazy yellow with a whit effervescent head. Tons of carbonation S: sweet peaches up front followed by subtle funk T: tart peaches, funk, hay some yeast MF: crisp great carbonation sour taste O: Very very good. Everything I'm looking for in a Berliner and peaches

Switched the Times to a different Warren

33. cavedave

Society Trader

New American Pale Ale Sunday (week 582)
    Greetings again, fellow NBSers. Another delicious beer from @kemoarps that was enjoyed last Sunday with friends, all of whom gave their thoughts to form the notes that I have used for this review. Holy Mountain is officially on my radar now. These guys rock!
    [​IMG]
    Pours a cloudy dark straw, with thin off white head, nice bubbly lace after a swirl, finally a ring with thin skim hangs on for the ride.

The aroma is stupid delicious, cantaloupe, sweet citrus, neutral sweet, general light fruit undertones that defy naming, and that form a delicious hop funk that explodes in the nose.

It is the nose translated into taste, with the cantaloupe being the key player that makes all the other flavors pop.

Very light in mouth, low carb.,refreshing, juicy finish, wonderful.

Such a delicious treat that is so full of flavor and yet so easy drinking. Highly recommended.

Hope you have a Great American Beer in your glass. Cheers!

gopens44, kemoarps, LeRose and 33 others like this.
  34. zid

zid Meyvn (1,263) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

[​IMG]

Riegele Privat

The Sierra Nevada/Riegele Oktoberfest was such a success... and while SN got most of the glory, I felt like this was probably a collaboration where the influence of each brewer could be felt. Unfortunately, I never actually had a Riegele beer. I aimed to correct that.

I tried the Riegele Kellerbier on tap, but the beer was so clearly old. It was a crime. Undrinkable.

Shopping around for bottles got me nowhere. "You've got strange taste in beer" was the answer I got from one store owner when I asked if he had any.

A few days ago, I found these bottles and I grabbed one.

This beer tastes like Germany in one swig. I mean this with sincerity. It's a gloriously clear golden color. I wish the head was more existent. The style as listed here is Dortmunder, but the bottle calls it a Helles Fest Beer. The bready qualities of this beer are wonderful. It's so clean and inviting. What a perfect beer. Fantastic.

According to the bottle, this beer won the 2010 "German Beer of the Decade." I have no idea what that means, but as it turns out, that accolade was a better indication of its quality than the 83 it scores here.

@TongoRad , your name is on this one.

I have no idea when this beer was bottled... could have been a while ago. Despite this, my experiences with this brewery are proof that you can't always look to keg for a beer that tastes fresh.

gopens44, kemoarps, LeRose and 32 others like this.
  35. puboflyons

puboflyons Poo-Bah (5,647) Jul 26, 2008 New Hampshire
    Society

This has been a fine spring weekend in New England with a lot of sun and warm temperatures. I took a drive up to Woodstock Vermont and swung by this home brew supply and bottle shop for a few beers that I cannot get in New Hampshire. Vermont is one of those states that allows growler fills at stores and retail outlets other than breweries. New Hampshire does not allow that. This is a 32 oz. growler of Zero Gravity Madonna DIPA from Burlington, Vermont. 8% ABV. It was first released about 4-5 days ago so it is brand new and worthy of a New Beer Sunday mention.

Hazy yellow pour with modest white head. Big aroma of grapefruit, pineapple, and citrus hops with a toffee sweetness in the toasted malts. Medium to better than medium body. Juicy texture. Same big fruity and grapefruit hop characteristics leading up to a bitter finish. The booze was not on the nose or in the taste (but it was in my head at the end of the growler haha).

[​IMG]

gopens44, kemoarps, LeRose and 30 others like this.
  36. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,091) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Greetings friends,
    I truly miss being in the mix here on Sundays, but I've been here- in and out- and loving every minute. The beers today look great, new ones everywhere. The profusion of new breweries and beers continues to amaze me. Beer and wine have been a great part of my life, and this world transformation of beer and beer culture is like heaven realized. Not a soul saw ALL of this happening. Good and great beer has always been available, but now we are spoiled for sure. Let's treat it well.
    Here is a musical interlude, and thanks for letting me pull your ears and memories. It is easy to overlook Jesse Colin Young, but his music was always there and beautiful. Cheers. Drink one for me! Dick

gopens44, kemoarps, LeRose and 24 others like this.
  37. OldSwampy

OldSwampy Disciple (376) Apr 4, 2016 Virginia

My first new beer for today and first-ever NBS post. I'm sure this is not a new beer for a lot of BAs, but it was for me:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately it was not as interesting as I'd hoped... full review over on the review page, but my overall rating was 3.24. Now what's next...?

gopens44, kemoarps, LeRose and 22 others like this.
  38. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Welcome.

No need to worry about "new to us" as there are lots of folks who haven't had many of the beers out there and even if we have had the one that's new to you it's also nice to get someone else's perspective on the beer.

Chatting about beer is really what this thread is all about.

(BTW, next time if you could copy and paste the link to your review it saves anyone having to hunt for it and then have to navigate back here.)

39. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,235) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

Not in the immediate future.

ONovoMexicano and smanson56 like this.
  40. OldSwampy

OldSwampy Disciple (376) Apr 4, 2016 Virginia

Certainly, that makes sense...

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/77233/

kemoarps, 2beerdogs, woemad and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.