New Beer Sunday (week 582)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cavedave, Apr 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Thanks.

As it turns out I'm closing in on 1000 soon and I've not had that one yet but do like to know and keep up with Sam Adams beers as they are typically good solid beers and some of my friends won't drink anything else. Not flashy, not world class but you can expect them to be drinkable, etc.

laketang, woemad and utopiajane like this.
  2. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,240) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

That would be great.

kemoarps and smanson56 like this.
  3. Prager62

Prager62 Poo-Bah (2,264) May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Good day NBS friends! Life has been busy around the homestead with the arrival of warm dry weather and cutting into my drinking time. Going to remedy that now with this bomber from @cavedave and his generous NBS/BIF boxes of east coast goodies. The bottle is dated 3/08 and I'm pouring it in my Weyerbacher tulip for the taste drive. Let's hit it!

Pours a hazy but very brilliant gold color leaving a generous finger of creamy white foam. It glows in the sun!
    Smell is lemongrass, orange zest, grapefruit and bready yeast in the distance. The taste is lemon zest, grapefruit and some orange peel. Once again there is a bread/biscuit flavor in the finish. The feel is slick and super refreshing for an IPA rated at 7.4% abv. Scary good and drinkable!

[​IMG]

Damn this hit the spot after putting my new gas powered trimmer through the ultimate test! This IPA drinks like a fine saison on a sunny, very warm spring day with it's refreshing and crisp easy drinking qualities. I love it and would be all over this, especially at the $6.49 bomber price. It has to be one of the better values for a world class beer. Thanks again Dave! My score was 4.31 / rDev -0.7%.

[​IMG]

Here's the skinny on this fine liquid, hope to be back later for another. Enjoy your Sunday gang!

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30452/148304/?ba=Prager62#review

foundersasap, gopens44, VABA and 34 others like this.
  4. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,955) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

gopens44, kemoarps, LeRose and 21 others like this.
  5. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,617) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Good afternoon NBS and thanks to @cavedave for kick off today. A beautiful day in WMass, some yard work completed both at home and the cemetery. Brewed a summer saison should be ready in time. Today's offering s from Crooked Stave
    A wonderfully executed fruited sour, wonderfully executed and a true display of the brewers craft.
    Cheers all

Crooked Stave Raspberry Origins

Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project
    American Wild Ale / 7.00% ABV

4.05/5 rDev -4% | Avg: 4.22
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a 375 ml bottle dated December 2015 into a goblet.
    A - Deep ruby colored backdrop, A skateboard punk pink cap borders on neon. Great appearance, mild carbonation keeps a ring of evidence. Laced gently, spot after spot.
    S - Huge fruit nose, summer berries, and citrus with lychee, grape skin. A rise in temperature releases, young pinot noir, warm clean oak, milk chocolate. The aromatics are incredibly complex.
    T - WOW, where to start, first pass, is all that fruit, raspberry, red grape character leads to a smooth barrel aged sour with subtle minerality, soft oak, lemon rine, and red wheat graininess. The offering glides between flavors, blending with the bacteria and yeast. Simply amazing
    F - The tongue recoils at first impact, sour, tart, then after the introduction. A mutual accord and then friendship, adoration. The dry finish is quite a surprise based on the start. The core of the experience is fresh fruit, sour malts and a delightful roll out. The linger is epic and mouth watering.
    O - What a treat, the berries start strong then with time the underlying offering reveals a barrel aged sour that stands on its own.

Cheers
    [​IMG]

6. Rago

Rago Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2014 Tennessee

Yazoo’s Embrace The Funk - Never Again

Belgian Strong Dark Ale

11.6% ABV
    Aged 2 years in the following barrels (final bottle blend ratios included):

65% Sherry (40 year old Oloroso casks)
    20% Red Wine
    10% KY Bourbon
    5% Red Wine / TN Whiskey barrels (Lignage A Trois barrels that first held Jack Daniels and then Arrington Vineyard’s Antibellum Red Wine. BA thread on those barrels here.)​

Found a 12oz bottle yesterday (in Jackson, TN) for $5.49 and picked one up. The store said they only received 48 bottles.

Description on side of bottle:

“A two-year journey of a Belgian Dark Strong Ale, fermented with Brettanomyces and souring bacteria, and aged in 40-year-old Oloroso Sherry casks, Merlot wine barrels, and Bourbon barrels. Enjoy this big 11.6% ABV blend at 55F. Learn more at YazooBrew.com/NeverAgain

For personal edification, I’ve emailed Yazoo inquiring as to which souring bacteria(s) was used.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Appearance: Dark burgundy with glowing red highlights, but completely opaque to sunlight in the body. Half finger of a rusty-white bubbly head which dissipated quickly.

Aroma: Sharp tart grape with mellow oak vanilla and a little bit of funk. Some pineapple, too. There's so much here that's new to me, I really don't know how to identify it. The sharpness went away as it warmed, and became more of a mellow tartness.

Taste: This was a whole new world to me. Not much dark fruit taste other than grapes and maybe a little plum. There was also some sweet pineapple in the taste as there was in the smell. As it warmed, the oak and vanilla came out and tasted so smooth. I'm not sure how it's supposed to be with these kinds of beers, but I couldn't taste any hops or malt. There seemed to be a a boozy woody flavor, I presume from the bourbon/JD barrels. The finish was somehow crisp and wet at the same time with a slight and cooling alcohol feel in the throat and on the back of the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a wine feel to it, but it wasn't oily at all. It felt surprisingly refreshing.

Overall: I'm not sure what this beer is supposed to be or how it represents it style (barrel aged Belgian strong dark sour?) but I would definitely drink this again. Too bad they won't be making any more of it. If you see it give it a shot if you can afford it at over $5 a bottle.

Cheers.

7. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

It's 83, I'm thirsty. Lindemans Kriek to the rescue!

A very pleasant fragrance of fresh tart cherry along with a musty and oaky aroma. Funk is light as are any vinegar notes. Starts off with a tart cherry juice flavor and is not too sour. A bit of funk and mustiness comes through as well as a bit of oakiness. Not much in the way of sour vinegar. Very light in feel and carbonation. Refreshing and tart with a slow palate drying effect. A nice affordable shelf Kriek (no need to fly all the way to Belgium). I'll be picking up a few more for the cellar.

[​IMG]

8. GRPunk

GRPunk Meyvn (1,230) Apr 5, 2007 Michigan

9. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,757) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Sounds like you got pretty good bang for your buck at $5.50 for 64oz of fresh local beer, even if nothing epic.

kemoarps, smanson56 and Ri0 like this.
  10. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,714) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Well I think allergy season is starting to kick in fierce... but at least it beats below 32 degrees...

what's next for our hero?

Iron & Barleywine (Cabernet Barrel Aged) | Funky Buddha Brewery

[​IMG]
    Cigar City Brewing - Iron & Barleywine
    by imbibehour, on Flickr

-----------------------------------------

Poured from the bottle into a large snifter glass. Vintage 2015.

Deep apricot to peach orange body color. Bit of a glow to this but with some slight opaque and muddy characteristics. Faint tain fleeting head, and big bubbled soapy collar while settling.

Real out there aroma. Thick sweet notes of plum and grape jelly. Slight green herbs a bit, almost towards mint but a little bit less sweeter sensing. Very fruity smelling but also seems to hint more to American style than English. Very nice.

Palate takes some bit of surprises. Young sensing and a bit wet considerably, as the flavors wash away very quickly on sips. Juiced body slightly highly emphasizing fruited plum to grape jelly. Moderate sweetness and a finish that comes out a bit like flat cola to skim milk.

Grape must is always interesting, and this sort of has some appeal and flavors not unlike Noble Rot from Dogfish head, with it's earthy and musty grape sense, but comes off a little bit too wet and fleeting.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5 | BA Generated Score 3.69

----

11. StraightNoChaser

StraightNoChaser Poo-Bah (2,307) Oct 21, 2007 Georgia
    Society Trader

12. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,036) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Good afternoon. And thanks @cavedave for wake up call. Honestly I was going to break the string of NBS posts today due to Dad's condition and one of my busiest days tomorrow but the feeling came a calling - certainly after reading these fantastic posts today and welcoming some new guests. Man we have some talent here. Most times I feel itsbhrd to keep up with all of you! Today's going to be abbreviated - not my usual long story followed by New Old Vinyl Sunday. Here goes:

Prairie Artisan Ales Prairie Hop

Right away on the pour we have that mountain of marshmallow like head we see on the Belgians. Color is a golden Amber with nice columns of bubbles rising. The head dances down the sides of the glass with large soapy bubbles and " world map" lacing

Aroma is the wonderful scent of laying on a pile of hay in a country Barn after the meadow outside has been freshly mowed....wonderful. Bready malt and grassy hops with wild yeast, touches of citrit and floral aromas. All well balanced with nothing overpowering. A gentle mix for the senses.

Taste follows with the yeast a clean citrusy crispness from the dry hopping and just enough sweetness around the edges to tie it all together. Bitterness is perfect. I dig these Belgian Style IPAs ( they just call it hopped ale) I like the profile on hops and how the yeast seems to blend everything into a flavorful little package.

Feel is dry and crisp finish with lots of tiny bubbles and lasting flavors. Tons of yeast so this is a slow pour but not a gusher.
    Really enjoyable beer for me since I dig the style and this has everything I like- best of both worlds clean grassy and citrus hops and mellowed by the Belgian. Not easily accessible for me- its a shame. This is only my second go round on Prairie and I'm certainly pleased- yet disappointed I don't have regular access. Oh well that's part of the fun!!
    So to all - have a a great rest of your Sunday and enjoy your week. And as always thanks for taking the time to listen....[​IMG]

13. Jay_P22

Jay_P22 Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2016 Virginia

New brew Sunday. Farmhouse ale. Collaboration by Sonoma County and Russian river. So good. Lots of lemon grass or lemon on the finish.

[​IMG]

14. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

You did good . Now you have another beer =) welcome to NBS!

kemoarps, VABA and tasterschoice62 like this.
  15. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Me too :grinning: I have ten more to go! How many do you have to go?

kemoarps and VABA like this.
  16. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,515) Mar 7, 2013 Canada (QC)
    Society Trader

That sounds intriguing from your description. I take it that is a hommage to/collaboration with the band (guy)?

kemoarps likes this.
  17. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

10 as well. Looking to do number 1000 on NBS, maybe early May.

kemoarps likes this.
  18. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,551) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Hello NBS'ers. I've enjoyed reading your posts and getting ideas of what I want to look for this week. Today, I was going to review a Saison (perfect day for one) but when I saw that it is release day for All Orange Everything, the Triple IPA collaboration between Carton and Other Half, and I had to pass by Exit 117 on the GSP on the way home from the Shore, I was hooked. All I can say is, "Wow!" Amazing balance between tropical fruit and hoppy bitterness. It's outstanding. Here's my review. We all rate on a curve and this is a really high rating for me.

4.56/5 rDev n/a
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Purchased on release day so it's as fresh as possible. Poured from 16 oz. can into Carton IPA glass. It pours a hazy, tangerine-orange color with a one-finger, milk-white head and lacing and lots of floaters in the glass. It smells of orange peel, tangerine, grapefruit, and floral hops. The first taste I experienced was the citrus: orange peel, tart grapefruit, and a hint of tangerine and tropical fruit on the tip of the tongue. That is followed by an explosion of dank hops, with a dry, bitter finish. There is a discernible alcohol burn. I don't think my taste buds do this one justice! This ale is medium in body, moderate in carbonation, and its 10.5% ABV packs a punch (you won't confuse it with Boat!). Overall, this is a superb Imperial IPA conceived by two of the finest craft brewers around. It's one of the best IPA's I've ever had. If it weren't so boozy, I could drink it all afternoon.

Musical paring. What else?

19. tasterschoice62

Society Trader

I got the feeling the predominant hop was Nelson on that? What's your take. Great brew though

20. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,551) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Thanks for posting. I enjoyed your review!

VABA, kemoarps and 2beerdogs like this.
  21. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Savant (982) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Trader

A pretty nice relaxing Sunday here ba and I didn't realize I would be doing so much walking but a few extra miles on the beach was well worth it. Another month and I'll be knocking beers back in the sand and hitting the waves. Spending the rest of the evening on the couch.

My second, and final NBS, for the today comes right out of the NBS BIF #3 box from the one and only @Prager62 . It is my final offering from Greenbush brewing and I have to say that I have been rather impressed by them. If I ever make it to Michigan this will be on my list. I think Delusion is my favorite but I also really enjoyed Rage. I love the beer names and the label art too.

The beer is Barrel Aged Doomslayer, ale with maple sap aged in whiskey barrels. 9% abv, a bottle date of 1/11/16, and the base ale is apparently an American brown ale.

The pour is a slick dark brown/burgundy color with a slight tan head. The nose is decently floral with whiskey, oak, and booze. The initial sips yield a boozy, sweet flowing ale, and a big rush of barrel characteristics the finish. Big notes of oak, bourbon, whiskey, dirty malts, and maple syrup. I really get a sort of cherry oak flavor which is very pleasant. The mouth feel is pretty full bodies, and sticky. The beer drinks big and lets you know the 9%abv is there at every sip.

Overall, this is crazy good stuff. With the base brown ale you wouldn't think it would work so well but it really delivers on all fronts. I'm really impressed. I'm right around 4.5 but I might go a bit higher.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,860) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I hope to get to another BIF box later tonight, but I'm still working, and hopefully making the guinea pigs happy; they are just gonna love what I prune from the sage bush.

Here's another quickie
    [​IMG]
    Pabst's revival of Old Tankard. Very English feel to this ale, lots of dates, white raisin, toffee, candied orange peel, floral hops. Dangerously drinkable. Another success, if you include the Ballantine beers. Plus it fills a needed niche. Way to go, Pabst!

23. StraightNoChaser

StraightNoChaser Poo-Bah (2,307) Oct 21, 2007 Georgia
    Society Trader

foundersasap, VABA, gopens44 and 19 others like this.
  24. woemad

Society Trader

Back with my first “new” beers of the day.

I say “new” beers because the first is something I’ve had on tap, but never in a take-home format. It’s a Belgian “abbey-style single ale” brewed in north Idaho, and was created in order for it’s brewers to distribute to the Utah market, clocking in at 4% abv:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28798/218632/?ba=woemad#review

It’s odd but drinkable, though the body was a little heavy for something so alcoholically light. This version has apparently since been found lacking by the owner/brewer, and is being clearanced out of the brewery cheap. I’ll update when I have a bottle that I know is of the new version.

Next up was an “Imperial Red Ale” brewed in the capitol of Wisconsin, and was included as part of @Ri0 ’s NBS BIF #3 box. Red/amber ales are pretty much my least favorite style of beer, so I expected to probably not care for it. That’s not what happened, but I’m not entirely sure what DID happen, as this is the most unusual beer I’ve had in a while, even after the Utah-inspired Belgian light ale/ambery thing noted above:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30629/95678/?ba=woemad#review

My apologies if the score seems a bit harsh compared to that of others. I’m thoroughly flummoxed by this beer. Definitely not what I expected, and I’m still not sure I’ve even described it properly, but it was considerably more complex than I expected, in ways I’d never have expected, if that makes any sense.

#104 woemad, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  25. GRPunk

GRPunk Meyvn (1,230) Apr 5, 2007 Michigan

26. Bubbawilly88

Bubbawilly88 Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2014 California

Enjoying a Deschutes Porter for the first time. Very tasty!
    https://instagram.com/p/BEUR1RHmw7b/

utopiajane, MacMalt, Wasatch and 3 others like this.
  27. woemad

Society Trader

Here's to hoping you Dad's condition improves soon. My Dad's less than a year from 70 now, and while both my parents are in pretty good health and look great for their age, they've each got issues that could change that in a hurry at this point, so I'm trying to always keep that in mind whenever I see them now.

28. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,659) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

I love that one. Sooo Deliscious!!! Perfect on a hot day.

29. Prager62

Prager62 Poo-Bah (2,264) May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

So my bro gives me a can of this barleywine he bought this weekend. A canned barleywine I ask? Hey, I'll try anything! A twelve ounce can of Lawyers Guns & Money Barleywine Style Ale by Crazy Mountain Brewing, Edwards CO. Pouring this gold can in my 13oz. snifter to check it out.

Pours a cloudy dark gold with floaties leaving a small amount of off white foam. Smell is caramel malt along with some pine and grapefruit. The flavor is once again caramel malt forward with pine, grapefruit and floral esters. Feel is slick and resiny with a bitter hop bite.

[​IMG]

A barleywine in a can? I was skeptical, but sign me up for this tasty $9.99 four pack. Perfect for the yard, camping or water. I've seen it but never pulled the trigger. I'll keep it in mind in the future. My score was a 4 / rDev +3.6%.

Cheers friends, I'm hoping for another later when I'm done visiting my bro.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23315/83261/?ba=Prager62#review

#109 Prager62, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  30. tasterschoice62

Society Trader

Thanks I appreciate that. It's hard for me my dad's 80. Bit my family has been decimated over the last 5 years- I lost my mom at 69 and my youngest brother at 47. So it's me - my bro and dad left. So I try to keep things in perspective although as many psychs have said: "death is a part of life" still hard for me to accept......

kemoarps, LeRose, 2beerdogs and 2 others like this.
  31. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (3,879) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Society Trader

The first of a few new ones for tonight. :grinning:
    I can't believe I waited so long to try this newest release. :rolling_eyes:
    Looks like all the others. :sunglasses:
    Smells of pine, flint, gravel, with some tropical fruit coming in and out. Weirdness #1. :astonished:
    Tastes nice, but not as well balanced as other releases past. Weirdness #2. :astonished:
    Mouthfeel is just fine.
    Overall, this leaves a little something to be desired as it has some of the attributes I sorta don't like.
    Uneven and unbalanced are words that come to mind...:confused:
    I haven't had them all by a long shot but, this is the worst Enjoy By I've had so far.:grimacing:
    There has to be a "worst" one, correct?

[​IMG]

32. woemad

Society Trader

Is that the standard Black Butte or one of the anniversary variants? What was it you liked about it beyond it being tasty?

kemoarps, ONovoMexicano and drtth like this.
  33. tasterschoice62

Society Trader

I have to admit I think last years version was alot better- more in the 4/20 mold if you know what I mean. Dank and weedy.
    I agree this years doesn't have alot of character - just alot of alcohol that goes down easy. But personally I like some flavor along with my beer....

34. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (3,372) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Alvinne Wild West (2015 Plum Edition
    )

Beautiful day here in southeastern Pennsylvania. Got some yard work done; spent some time with the fam; now it's time to crack open a beer.

Had one of Alvinne's wine barrel aged quads earlier this year and it was phenomenal, so a month back or so I decided to splurge on this Bordeaux barrel aged golden blonde ale that was fermented with the brewery's Morpheus house yeast and on plums for five months.

I can see the yeast at the bottom of the bottle, so did a very careful pour in a tulip glass, which revealed a cloudy brownish orange color with just a tiny wisp of white head that quickly disappeared into the thinnest of crowns.

Plums dominate the aroma, with some sourness and a touch of dry yeast in the mix. It has a very tart and sour taste. Plum is front and center, with the skin and all -- juicy and mouth puckering. There's definitely oak in there, and maybe a little depth from the red wine, but at this age this beer is really all about the plum.

It's medium bodied, with just a touch of creaminess. This isn't a must-have, but it's solid. Plummy.

35. lic217

lic217 Champion (874) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

[​IMG]
    BOMB! First time seeing one of these in person was when my brother in law dropped this off in a mix sixer (including two wicked weed beers) of beers that I have never had before and that are not distributed to CT. Very grateful to get a chance to try this beer.
    Look: Dark Black, small tan head, a little lacing 5
    Smell: Mostly chocolate, with a touch of vanilla and alcohol 4
    Taste: Starts sweet, but it ends less so. Chocolate and vanilla flavor, with a warming touch of alcohol heat and a slight dark fruit flavor 4.5
    Feel: Smooth, creamy, really nice, but maybe a touch too thin. 4.5
    Overall: It's a well made big beer, with a great chocolate flavor, but I would have preferred more complexity. 4.5

gopens44, cavedave, seakayak and 22 others like this.
  36. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,386) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

This post is awesome in a few ways. "Old world" beer and that of one who helped produce a beer I truly enjoyed.

Speaking as a more wordy, if not specifically chatty NBSer, I'll second this encouragement and further it to: feel free to tell us your non-technical experiences with a beer. Thanks for the review!

Welcome to NBS (I think, forgive me if I missed prior posts).

cavedave, kemoarps, LeRose and 4 others like this.
  37. tasterschoice62

Society Trader

That's awesome I was wondering about that beer.

kemoarps and ONovoMexicano like this.
  38. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,343) Mar 22, 2015 Arizona
    Society

hope everything ends well for your dad! cheers

kemoarps and tasterschoice62 like this.
  39. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,955) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

40. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,860) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Thanks. In the end the palate started to feel a bit 'sugary' after 16oz., but that's not a fatal flaw. For an inexpensive ($6.99 a 4-pack), fresh English Pale Ale I still see myself getting more from time to time. They definitely got the right 'feel' to the beer, and it is pretty much what I was hoping for.

kemoarps likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.