New Beer Sunday (week 590)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cavedave, Jun 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

The 6 pack I have was bottled on 04/05/16 not super fresh but fresh enough. I live close to one of the best beer bars in NJ and they have a Germen one on tap at least once a month. I really enjoy the style and am glad BA turned me onto it.

zid, Premo88 and TongoRad like this.
  2. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,343) Mar 22, 2015 Arizona
    Society

sunday beer review

[​IMG]

poured out clear orange and just a hazy top, no head
    notes of cinnamon , estery, orange peel and peach.
    slightly sour but them some sweet, balanced
    lemon tangy not overpowering.
    medium body with some creaminess
    slight bitter in the finish

cheers!

[​IMG]

VABA, oldn00b, gopens44 and 36 others like this.
  3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,878) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Michael, I also enjoyed drinking a bottle of Von Trapp Pilsner. For my palate the malt backbone was quite unique. I do not have any good/unambiguous words to detail the malt flavor(s). Have you ever tasted another beer (Pilsner) that has the same flavor profile as Von Trapp Pilsner?

@cavedave

Cheers!

4. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,860) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, Zatec has a similar malt character but not quite as hoppy. I enjoyed this one better.

5. JackHorzempa

Society

I do the same in that I have beer bars near me that often have German Kolsch beers on tap.

I can only recall one beer buying experience where I found a fresh (e.g., less than 3 months old) German bottle Kolsch beer (it was Fruh). I bought two big bottles of Fruh that day.:slight_smile:

On a related note I was at the beer store in Maryland yesterday and I saw a 6-pack of Schlafly Kolsch beer on the shelf. I excitedly picked it up only to read that it was bottled in 2015. I put that 6-pack quickly back down.:slight_frown:

Cheers!

tasterschoice62, smanson56 and woemad like this.
  6. JackHorzempa

Society

Boy, I can't remember the last time I saw a fresh Zatec beer.:slight_frown:

Cheers!

7. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,714) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Hey what's going on?!

Well its gotten muggy and HOT now.. and I need to cool off... luckily I have found a way!

On a side note I am going to be getting into some reviews shortly, however I have a SORTA new beer, but also cause I am very happy that it's given me a new experience to enjoy beer in a new way which I have been partaking in.

Not the first time by far I have had this beer, but certainly have never had it this way and it's delicious.

[​IMG]
    Amer Picon Biere
    by imbibehour, on Flickr

I finally got a hold of some Amer Picon from France, and one thing you can do with it is add it to Witbier. This is a fantastic addition for this style as it blows up in excellent orange flavors and aromas.

Formidable!

However, new beer reviews to come stay tuned!

oldn00b, gopens44, LeRose and 33 others like this.
  8. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,079) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

New Belgium is new to our distribution here in NY...

I'm giving their Ranger IPA a try...
    [​IMG]
    Big, tacky pine resin aromas and flavors in this 6.5% IPA make it taste bigger than it is. Shellacs the tongue with bitterness. A sticky, dank, drenched-in-pine kinda beer. I really dug it. Great aftertaste...

Cheers, NBS... :wink:

VABA, oldn00b, gopens44 and 31 others like this.
  9. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,006) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

New American Wild Ale Sunday (week 590)
    Greetings fellow NBSers from on the ridge in Mid Hud Val, NY. Killer day at the recycle center, made the rounds after work, including finding some nice looking porterhouse steaks for the grill later, and this beer which I have watched on shelf for the last month or so and had to pull the trigger today, just that kind of day, ya know, a citrus wild ale eighty degrees sunny with the odd grey puffy cloud zipping through a lightly windy green and happy land here in Kingdom of Ardonia.
    [​IMG]
    What a shame this beer is the old story we all have heard, the one with the theme of "what could have been" It's a tasty beer, delightfully enticing aroma full of much more funk than the taste provides, and a nice separation of flavors, which the taste also doesn't provide. Too much tart, not enough fruit, not enough funk. I hate to be negative about this beer, since it is proving to be very drinkable for a wild ale, but the truth is Crooked Stave makes many more of better quality, and there are lots of other wild ales from other brewers on shelf that I enjoy more than this as well. My review

Diggin' these guys who I used to listen to and see often back in the day. They're old now, so am I. They're still playin, so am I. Hope you also have a Great American Beer in your glass. Cheers!

oldn00b, gopens44, LeRose and 35 others like this.
  10. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,350) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Good afternoon all.

First NB for this S is Pilsner from Dieselpunk

[​IMG]

Big, fluffy, pillowy head on top this otherwise ordinary looking crystal clear golden beer. Sticky lacing rounds out the appearance.

Nose is immediately chock full of that pleasant corny thing with a touch of floral bitterness.

Taste follows the nose but add in a bit of flatness that transcends mouth feel and expresses itself in the taste experience. Little bit of heat in the back of throat tells me there may be a balance issue here. After it warms up a bit the lack of balance becomes more apparent as I start to get a syrupy sacharin sweetness followed by a tentative nondescript bitterness.

Finish is pretty watery.

Maybe in a pinch, but otherwise meh.

oldn00b, LeRose, aoampm and 34 others like this.
  11. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,006) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Nailed it man, exactly what I experienced and could not express.

I did notice a severe flaw with the Dunkel though. It disappears out of my glass.

12. TBonez477

TBonez477 Defender (632) Jan 15, 2015 Vermont
    Trader

Taking time out for a new beer today:

[​IMG]

First appearance is light for a big stout, with a pretty fluffy tan head. Smell is mocha, marshmallow, vanilla and a little leather. Taste is sweet mocha blended with strong raisin/dark fruit. Finish is slight roast which balances nicely with the sweetness. The vanilla and oak from the bourbon mellow in at the end. Feel is pretty light for the ABV. Overall a really tasty brew, very glad to get the chance to enjoy it on a rainy, lazy Sunday!

Cheers!

oldn00b, gopens44, LeRose and 34 others like this.
  13. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,190) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Greetings from Nashville, BAs! It's been a big weekend here with Bonnaroo and the CMAs all going on at the same time, with lots of sun and temps in the mid-90s. I managed to avoid all of it, and thankfully, my college-aged kids did too :wink:. After a bit of yard work I needed some rehydration and found this new one in the fridge:

Nebraska Brewing Company - India Pale Ale

Surprisingly dark out of the can. A nice look with a very clear almost copper hue, but it did not look like an IPA at first glance. A fairly aggressive pour produced a one-finger off white head that settled quickly into a wispy cap, leaving some nice tracks behind. Big citrus aroma on the nose, with grapefruit, orange, some pine, and some dry malt. No toffee or caramel, but definitely more malt than I'm used to. It also just looked malty (the color) which may have biased me. The taste was as expected - no surprises for an old school IPA - bitter grapefruit up front, followed by orange, pine, resin, and a prominent bready malt presence. A hint of caramel but not sweet at all. Very bitter with a clean finish. I actually liked this better as I went along (true for just about everything I drink) - a nice classic West Coast IPA.
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4 Cheers!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. ONUMello

ONUMello Poo-Bah (2,561) Feb 24, 2009 Ohio
    Society

NBS! I'm in the Bros' neck of the woods at Logan airport on my way back from a fantastic week I'm Iceland. No new Iceland beers today but I found a couple of new local beers in the airport.
    [​IMG]
    First is Wormtown's Be Hoppy. I was very hoppy eating at Legal Sea Food! As you can see the beer is surprisingly light, but that doesn't stop fresh grass/herbs/citrus rind notes coming through. I love the mouthfeel which is light but fresh and packed with flavor. This would be a summertime staple if available in Ohio. Definitely recommended.
    Next was the Foolproof Raincloud porter. Tasty, roasted malts with bitter coffee/cocoa; overall solid just not exciting. The name certainly matches the mood I'm feeling coming from the most peaceful country in the world to the news of the day. Good beer certainly cheers me up, though!

oldn00b, gopens44, LeRose and 32 others like this.
  15. Smakawhat

Society

ONWARD!

Stillwater Artinal Ales - Nu Tropic

[​IMG]
    Stillwater Artisinal Ales - Nu-Tropic
    by imbibehour, on Flickr

--------------------

Poured from the can into a Spiegelau IPA glass. Best Before April 2017.

Hazy lemon yellow body, very pale towards the edges, classic opaque nearly solid but luckily not completely. Some nice streams of fine carbonation are able to be seen, slightly transluscent almost white reaching to the top. Head creation is a soapy but thick three fingers, bleach and bright white in color. Settles with decent retention but with a soapy one and a half height.

Aroma manages some sticky dank tropical character of hops. Earth with mango flavors and a bit of tropical juiced body. A bit of spice kicks in almost a pepper quality but more towards strong herbs and possible pine. Decent IPA on the nose.

Palate comes off a bit more fruit flavored than expected. Large tasting amounts of grapefruit juice in the mid palate and the finish. Bitter pith of grapefruit and a lingering hot woody bitterness as well. Juicy but also quite a bit wet in body, A bit of spicy and fruity hop just barely get brought to the palate before the added fruit flavors take over and dominate.

The added fruit elements give it more a fruited IPA character and unfortunately too much of a juice carton flavor than an IPA brew. There's some decent drinkable quality at least that makes it enjoyable.

Appearance: 3.5 | Smell: 4 | Taste: 3.75 | Mouthfeel: 3.75 | Drinkability: 3.75

--------------

Cheers!

oldn00b, gopens44, LeRose and 33 others like this.
  16. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,754) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Thus far I've yet to find a fresh German-made Kolsch. What's really sad is I've actually been to the city it's from and (sorta) named for! I had no idea what a Kolsch was in those days. I think I drank pilseners when I was there (just one day).

Premo88 likes this.
  17. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,378) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

So, we went ahead and shared one Saison du Buff and one Biere de Provence to see how "similar" they were:
    [​IMG]

The Stone version of Saison du Buff (Feb bottling) was a lighter, more yellow color, with a hint of haze that the DFH Biere de Provence did not have. Heads were very similar, though du Buff showed a little better lacing.

The du Buff smells more spice and earthier to the herbal and floral Biere de Provence. Basically the Stone actually showcase the herbs/spices more than the DFH, where the spices combine with the sweet fruit base beer, it seems.

The base beer in Saison du Buff seems cleaner, so that the scents from the nose transfer fairly closely to the palate. As such, and I believe in line with the original intent of the beer - it is reminiscent of the smells of a Thanksgiving dinner. The Biere de Provence actually seems a bit more to style, as I feel the yeast does get the head seat at the table, helping influence the overall flavor of the beer.

Saison du Buff is a tad bit heavier, a little less effervescent, and drier.

Flavor-wise, they actually aren't too similar. The end of the Biere de Provence gets closest to the whole flavor profile of Saison du Buff. The general strong presence of the additional herbs is similar in both - but it seems a larger part of the Stone collab than the DFH beer. Interesting that doing this side-by-side made me realize the base saison characteristics were actually not at all lost in the DFH beer. In fact, if you told me the Saison du Buff was a Belgian Pale Ale base, I'd not argue.

Sorry - this also isn't officially new, but maybe I can argue it's part B of my original post :wink:.

Edit: I forgot to note, the GF did the tasting blind, and thought they tasted similar, but thought the DFH tasted "stronger" and therefore thought it was the Saison du Buff. Not sure what to make of it, but it is information :slight_smile:.

#57 cjgiant, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  18. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,952) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

oldn00b, gopens44, LeRose and 28 others like this.
  19. garymuchow

garymuchow Poo-Bah (3,442) Aug 31, 2001 Minnesota
    Society

I too received this beer from @beertunes and was happy to enjoy it. Solid beer.

VABA, smanson56, jhavs and 3 others like this.
  20. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,952) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

oldn00b, gopens44, LeRose and 26 others like this.
  21. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon

Good afternoon NBS'rs. Someone told me that since I did my first NBS last week, it's kind of an unofficial rule that I have to keep participating...or something along those lines. I'll bite. Well, it started to become summer here in sunny southern California, but the sun took a break these last two days, bu that didn't stop the influx of fresh IPA's. I give you:

Smog Town Brewing, Torrance CA.
    Grape Ape IPA 7.3% ABV, brewed with grape must.

[​IMG]

A: Slightly cloudy pale yellow with a decent white fine bubbly head
    A: Juicy tropical hops, with a sweet grainy breadiness
    T: Again, juicy and less grapefruity than I was expecting, but can sense the must in the aftertaste. Very nice sweetness to back the mild bitterness
    F: Crisp, refreshing, balanced, and just the right amount of carbonation
    O: Very enjoyable, especially if it were a little warmer here right now

One of the better I have had from Smog City. They have been hit or miss for me, but quite the rage in some circles around here. Cheers!

(A special shout out to the victims and their families of the horrible event in Florida this morning. As a fellow American, and human, my sincerest condolences.)

oldn00b, gopens44, LeRose and 29 others like this.
  22. gopens44

Society Trader

Next up, another Pilsner. This one, Puma Pilsner from Rhinegeist.

[​IMG]

Pale yellow with just a hint of haze. Somewhat restrained fizzy white head leaves behind a slight bit of lacing.

Nose is a little soapy right away with a corn following.

Taste has equal parts cracker and pepper (taste, not heat) at first, followed by a little cream corn.

No alcohol detected, fairly crisp and overall pretty dry. Not too bad I guess

oldn00b, LeRose, utopiajane and 27 others like this.
  23. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,991) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

Bought this one a few months ago at Jester King. I wanted to wait until the fall to open it, but my curiosity won out ... again :flushed:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'd say he's had a few:
    [​IMG]
    5 Stones Barrel Reserve Sleepy Hollow
    a pumpkin ale aged in rum barrels

It pours out just like a good dubbel, big foam and brilliant clear copper ... it looks light but packed full of something. The first aromas are super malty, like donuts and cinnamon rolls, lots of bread and lots of something sweet. As you dig in, you get a range of notes that can be as earthy as raw pumpkin, almost dirt bitter, all the way to a molasses/brown sugar-infused piece of pumpkin pie with a very toasted pie crust.

The rum barrel is unquestionably present -- even the smell has some spirit heat. The alcohol flavor is relatively neutral, tasting more like vodka than rum. Mixed with the earthy pumpkin flavor, the combined flavors do take on that standard dirt/medicinal note I associate with pumpkin ales. But between the rum barrels and whatever spices are thrown in, there's also bits and pieces of sweeter flavors, including nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon and sugary pumpkin pie.

The review:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/32171/197620/?ba=Premo88#review
    4.12 (0% rDev -- just four ratings so far, so I'm setting the pace right now)

A well put together brew. I should've waited until the fall to open it, I think. The vodka heat suggests another 6-12 months wouldn't have hurt it one bit. But I'm not complaining, and it's got me interested in trying some more stuff from 5 Stones.

You boys' and girls' yard and plant shots always make me smile. :slight_smile: And I'm glad I took care of this two this winter ... totally worth the bit of trouble:
    [​IMG]

Cheers!

oldn00b, gopens44, LeRose and 31 others like this.
  24. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,489) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Good afternoon NBS, hope all is well. Started my Sunday with a new Kölsch, Manor Hill Katherine's Kölsch. Haven't had a lot of Kölsch's but it is a style I'm really starting to love them, cheers!
    4.09/5 rDev +6.5%
    look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz can, dated 5-17-16, poured into pint glass

A- A super hazy bright yellow with a three finger white head.

S- Some sweet bread, some wheat, a hint of grape/lemon tartness, nice earthy spice.

T- Pilsner malts, some wheat, touch of sweet bread, some light fruits, nice earthy spice.

M- Light body, crisp, smooth.

O- A nice and tasty beer for 4.6% ABV, great summer beer!

★ 377 characters
    [​IMG]

VABA, oldn00b, gopens44 and 27 others like this.
  25. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,489) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

VABA and DrStiffington like this.
  26. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,515) Mar 7, 2013 Canada (QC)
    Society Trader

I hope you all are having a nice Sunday. It seems like everybody's already getting into some delicious-looking beer. I am hoping that my choice today is good looking, smelling and tasting; but we'll see. You never can tell.

I just got back from a trip to Mexico and it seems like I brought cool weather back with me. It is cold, drizzly and windy. I might break out a stout later on, but for doing laundry and watching soccer something lighter should do me just fine. I am not a huge fan of the label, but I usually ask myself what Bo Diddley would say about judging a beer by its cover. Either way, it is a good chance to see an elf hugging a cosmic mermaid (the two brewers' logos).

[​IMG]

This is a Belgian IPA that was recommended to me during my trip. It is a collaboration between Coronado Brewing Company and Andrómeda. I am a fan of certain Belgian IPAs. They seem to be kind of divisive but I would even go so far as to say that some of them are great.

[​IMG]

Beautiful in the glass.
    [​IMG]

This is a doughy and floral beer if there ever was one. It is pretty dry from the hops side of things with a real pungent balance between tart and harsh yeast characteristics rounding out the rest of it. It is a nice beer. On one hand it could use a little oomph in the hops and general flavor department. On the other hand the booze/rubber taste/feel from the yeast and alcohol could be dialed back a bit (though it is far from overwhelming).

[​IMG]

I am glad I tried this one. Not the best Belgian IPA I've ever had, but definitely not the worst. Plus, I am beyond thrilled at the variety of interesting beers coming out of mi México lindo y querido in the past few years.

Have a lovely rest of your beer-basted Sunday, everyone!

¡Salud!

My review if you're curious.

woemad, oldn00b, gopens44 and 33 others like this.
  27. Cloaked_Phantom

Cloaked_Phantom Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2013 Washington

Color is obviously amazing! And the taste has very good raspberry flavor. The only issue I have is the carbonation. Its just a bit too much for my liking.

[​IMG]

gopens44, LeRose, utopiajane and 20 others like this.
  28. garymuchow

garymuchow Poo-Bah (3,442) Aug 31, 2001 Minnesota
    Society

New Beer Beer Sunday

Greetings NBSer's,
    Mixed temps around here lately but consistently receiving some rain, which, I suppose it what is suppose to happen in June in these parts. So far a decent growing season.
    Thanks to @cavedave for a fabulous start to the 590th episode of NBS.
    With classic summer weather I'm in the mood for a Am Pale Lager. Fortunately @ONovoMexicano sent me one recently. Isn't that great timing? How did he know?
    For those around in the 70's my beer today reminded me of this.
    [​IMG]
    But instead I have this
    [​IMG]
    and some nice lacing, which I don't expect for this style.
    [​IMG]
    Any, here is the official review.
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24659/83324/?ba=garymuchow#review
    Best to all.

VABA, woemad, gopens44 and 29 others like this.
  29. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,545) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Hi everyone! It's been a gorgeous weekend in New Jersey. The last two days at the shore were just beautiful. It's really hot down there today, even on a barrier island. I just arrived home to a nice warm but breezy afternoon. But it's never too warm for a good Imperial Stout and Evil Twin's Liquid Double Fudge fits the bill. In my opinion, if it had a little more viscosity, then it would be right up there with the top tier of the style. Here's my review:

4.33/5 rDev +3.6%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into stout glass. It pours jet black with a huge,foamy, beige head and lacing that lasted through the pour. It's a beautiful looking stout. It smells of roasted malt, dark chocolate, vanilla, and anise. They don't call it fudge for nothing; it has a rich chocolate taste with hints of licorice, coffee, caramel, and dark fruit. It's also quite boozy; you can really taste the 12% ABV. It's definitely a sipper. About my only constructive criticism is that for an Imperial Stout it is rather thin. A little more viscosity and this one would be among the first tier of Imperial Stouts. At $6.99 for a bomber, this is one of the best deals out there.

I'm digging in to your reviews now. One of my favorite diversions each week!

woemad, oldn00b, gopens44 and 32 others like this.
  30. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (13,048) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Second beer on the Hilton patio off the Sioux Falls bike trail on a hot day, Take 16 Hay Loft, 5.7% ABV, 15 IBU, Style is Hefeweizen. Poured thin and golden with a little white head. Served in a frosted glass (yes, I know), which was excellent given how hot it is. Nose is yeast freshness, taste is yeast but not quite bread dough, and slight bananas. Very refreshing. Mouthfeel is good, overall an excellent Hefeweizen, though not up to Weihenstephaner standard.

[​IMG]

woemad, oldn00b, gopens44 and 27 others like this.
  31. Smakawhat

Society

On to the next, thanks to @woodychandler

Apiarius | ShawneeCraft Brewing Company

[​IMG]
    Shawnee Craft Brewing - Apiarius
    by imbibehour, on Flickr

-----------------

Poured from the can into a nonic pint glass.

Dark golden amber body color, light chestnut brown, but with a good dark dull brassy gold color. Head is a fluffy off white, a bit in the styrofoam retention appearance, but hangs on nicely for a pale ale. Settles to a nice simple thin puck and collar.

Very interesting aroma, soft honey qualities mixing with dry toasty brown bread. Honey aspect also brings out some real nice floral like tones, and a bit of sweet garden earth flavors. Surprisingly herbal as well and unexpected but in a pleasant complimenting way.

Palate basically takes it down to bare basics. Muted caramel and a slight bit of buttered toast like flavors in the mid palate. Dry and muted arid grains with a little bit of honey sweetness finish off the beer on the swallow. Mouthfeel sticks to the basics, but the specialty of honey to this is not really providing much else on the palate. Slight simple hop flavor that's neither intriguing or distracting.

Starts off as something a little bit unique but in the end comes out just a bit ordinary but drinkable.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5 | BA Generated Score: 3.7

---------------------

woemad, oldn00b, gopens44 and 28 others like this.
  32. Act25

Act25 Poo-Bah (3,015) Nov 8, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

4 Disappointing new beers in a month of Sundays. (I'm usually positive and above average in my ratings - but here are 4 that missed to steer clear?)

Deep Ellum IPA
    3.81/5 rDev -6.4%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
    Nice texan IPA.
    A-Dark amber body with a white head and ok dotty lacing.
    S-Best part - malt, citrus, tropical fruit, caramel, and dominated by hempy, grassy finish.
    T-Follows smell with grapefruit, orange, caramel malt, pine, and dominant with hemp and grass, culminating in bright bitter finish.
    F-medium body with moderate carbonation, crisp. Good food beer.
    O- Solid IPA, pleasant bitter hop flavor, easy drinking. mid-pack.
    Aunt Sally | Lagunitas
    3.53/5 rDev -8.3%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5
    Aunt Sally ended up a spinster because this is "one and done" as A bros wrote.
    A. - Clear with rising visible through a pale golden body, a bit of lace ring and foam ring.
    S - far too faint. catty first, then citrus, sour yeast, dough.
    T - Best part, less catty, cidery, aspirin, white saltines. Lots of sour and lacking in fruit.
    F - Powder, sassy, thin, aspiriny finish. Lean and clean, but a good aperitif at best.Might be good with fruit to cut the sweetness.
    An "interesting" brew that everyone should try once.

Casper White Stout | James Page
    3.19/5 rDev -7.8%
    look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25
    White Stout w Natural Flavors (white) trend in direction of vanilla.
    A: Pours a slightly hazed medium golden body with active, abundant visible carbonation with pilsner highlights. The beer has a half inch foamy white head that reduces rapidly to mottled film and a thin ring with dotty lacing. Unstout like!
    S: Moderate bouquet of flower shop, white chocolate, and mostly vanilla. Not much else. Smell is best part.
    T: It's following the smell with sweets and flower shop blare, on sweet grainy, almost corn grain and light malts. Again not stout like. Dominantly vanilla and almost astringent and mouth wash like - almost artificial. Not again.
    M: Astringent, cidery, lighter than medium bodied with abundant amounts of carbonation. But not cleansing.
    O: an artificial concept without a reason d'etre - cannot get past the artificial-feeling flavors and aromas. Pass this one. Try 0.

Narragansett Lager
    3.05/5 rDev -10.8%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3
    Hard to figure out A bros rated this 4th best adjunct lager... They're all swill.
    A - Best part, because it laces. Clear pils gold. Not much retention.
    S - Not much. Meager. Gets wif of lemonada in a corn field, with some buttered popcorn.
    T- Follows the smell with more hops prickles and lemon.
    F- As thin and as cottony as any other. Adjuncts' corn coats my mouth so not light and refreshing.
    3.0 (Average) is my base line for American Lager and this is a great 3. But no better.

woemad, gopens44, LeRose and 21 others like this.
  33. woemad

Society Trader

Greetings, fellow NBSers, and thanks to @cavedave for getting us off to a great start,

Today it’s a clear 67 degree day, slightly cool for this time of year near the heart of Spokanistan. Spring around here tends to bring all kinds of weather, with this one no exception. The mid 90s heat of last weekend is now a thing of the past, with things cooling off starting Tuesday, and Friday featuring rain and blustery winds. Earlier in the week, I participated in a “triennial” emergency drill at my workplace (the main local airport) has to put on to keep their emergency certification, pretending to be a survivor of a plane crash on the runway.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We were all given tags denoting our condition. I was uninjured, but my friend and co-worker Michael was tagged as “unconscious with a serious head wound” and was given a mask with that injury (said mask was missing eye and breathing holes, which is why he’s wearing it shoved halfway up his face – the sunglasses were his own, unique touch to things). He was eventually loaded onto a stretcher and whisked away in an ambulance. Afterwards, we all were allowed to keep the T-shirts they’d given us (which presumably served the function of being a kind of uniform to ensure nobody had wandered out with the city fire trucks that shouldn’t have had access to the airfield perimeter) and a tremendous amount of pizza.

I haven’t had much in the way of new beer this week. Yesterday, I did stop by the Orlison Taproom and have a couple beers after an unsuccessful attempt to hit the new Steel Barrel Taproom (a brewery “incubator” that houses Little Spokane Brewing Co. and Young Buck Brewing Co. sharing a drinking space along with a number of guest taps plus a restaurant – Zona Blanca – that specializes in ceviche), but was told they were only open for friends and family, with the soft opening occurring today. I had planned to go back today, but have since decided to hang onto what funds I have before my next payday so that I can enjoy libations when I go see Helm’s Alee on Thursday. Orlison had a whiskey barrel-aged version of their coffee vanilla stout, a cream ale brewed with oranges and a lactic yeast strain called (and strongly resembling a) Creamsicale, and a beer based on Yerba Mate tea, all of which were in varying degrees interesting and tasty.

Today I’m begging the NBS court’s indulgence and starting off with a beer I’ve already had several cans of, but just got around to reviewing today, an IPA brewed across the water from Tacoma in Gig Harbor, WA, called Rude Parrot. The pic is from an earlier WBAYDN post:
    [​IMG]

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/20658/58129/?ba=woemad#review

An average, slightly one-dimensional PNW IPA that I’d have in a bar for a decent price but probably wouldn’t buy another sixer of.

Back later with a RIS, and finishing off with a beer that I’m really looking forward to from @Ri0 that represents the last of NBS BIF #3, but I expect will be awesome. I'll be lifting each glass to the victims of the senseless act in Orlando and their friends and families.

gopens44, LeRose, utopiajane and 28 others like this.
  34. smanson56

smanson56 Champion (807) Feb 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

Good afternoon to all the NBS followers. It's has really run the gamut of weather here in central NH to. It was warm and fairly humid when I went out for my morning bike ride about 6:00 am and after taking a little trip to Portsmouth and stopping for lunch on the way back it has become blustery and the temperature has fallen to 57* and we have even had a few light showers here. I made a couple of stops to pick up a few beers on my trip but didn't have a lot of time to stop and enjoy it at the breweries as I had loaded my smoker with a pork butt and some turkey thighs before we left.
    So my new beer for today comes from my stop at Deciduous Brewing and is there Farmhouse Ale Sylph.
    [​IMG]
    This beer pours a hazy golden yellow color into my Deciduous glass. A thick white foamy head on top that disappears quickly.
    The nose is tart and has that great funk a beer like this should have. The nose is very earthy from the yeast with not much else coming through.
    The taste is crisp, not overly tart with a nice smooth finish. This will be a great beer to sit and sip on a hot summer afternoon.
    The mouth feel has nice carbonation and no lingering aftertaste.
    I think this is another good beer from Deciduous and I hope he continues with this great style of beer. There is a Mosaic dry hopped Sylph that takes this beer to another level IMO. The base beer is good but the dry hopped version is great.

Premo88, oldn00b, gopens44 and 30 others like this.
  35. MacMalt

Society Trader

It's a great can, though!

Prager62 likes this.
  36. MacMalt

Society Trader

Is Von Trapp distributing in Jersey now?

37. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,378) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Since my Cavaliers will not be repeating as CWS champs (they didn't even make it to the Super Regionals :slight_frown:) - I am rooting for one of their vanquishers, although it's not looking good for them, either. So, I decided to check out what it's like outside. With some forewarning from the internet, I decided a lighter, possibly refreshing beer might be a good option to take with me.
    [​IMG]

Stillwater [/ Westbrook] Gose Gone Wild
    I'll start by saying this beer grew on me. I really do like the Gose style for my go to summer beer. I learned a tad about it while drinking it, and that information helped me a tad in my review. Essentially this is supposed to be Westbrook's Gose (a highly regarding beer of the style, but one that is quite powerful in its flavors), hopping it up and adding Brett yeast (the "wild" part, I am sure). The bottle I have doesn't really mention Westbrook, and is brewed via contract by a company in Denver.

Pours a lovely light yellow - almost white like you might expect from a Belgain Wit. The head is definitely white, even against the pale-colored body. It is thick and foamy and quite sticky given the lacing.

Nose reminds me a bit of a lemon soap, initially. Further inspection indicated a little bit clearer note of lemon, as well as a little bit of earthy spice from the coriander. Maybe just a hint of funk, as well - my first impression from the funkiness. I must say I didn't get a big dose of extra hops. Also, that soapy note never quite goes away completely.

Taste starts off salty, right up front. The lemony note hits next, though it doesn't erase the salinity. The chord is complete as a little earthy spice hits (and brings a bit of that soapiness). Lastly there is a bit of funk that seems to come as the notes combine. No flavors seems to fade, they seem to just get layered upon creating a new experience with each addition. Something seems to build upon my tongue, leaving a rubbery feel. Other than that, the beer is light and refreshing in feel.

A nice beer - and I can almost see the similarities to my recollection of Westbrook's Gose. That lemon seems like it would be almost like sucking said citrus, were it not for the rest of the beer getting in the way. The Brett comes through, and as I learned from a recent article, perhaps the salinity kills the extra hops. Then again, that combination could be what is causing that feel of a film that seems to build on my palate.

Premo88, oldn00b, gopens44 and 28 others like this.
  38. gopens44

Society Trader

I've put away my Pilsner habit in favor of my IPA addiction.

My current fix is North High IPA.

[​IMG]

Looks pretty tasty. Murky caramel coloured, modest beige head and a bit of sneaky lacing.

Nose has this sweet thing happening followed by earthiness, Pilsner like bitterness and finally a bitter finish more IPA like, as grapefruit and grassiness make an appearance.

The earthy quality drives the taste just before a Pilsner crossed with olive taste picks it up. Last thing offering it's plea to be tasted is a faint hint of pear.

Fairly thin, kinda dry and no discernible aftertaste.

Not bad, but could easily get overlooked amongst about 8,000 other IPAs.

oldn00b, LeRose, utopiajane and 25 others like this.
  39. GRPunk

GRPunk Meyvn (1,230) Apr 5, 2007 Michigan

New Imperial Milk Stout

School's out, and I'm back! I've really missed NBS during an overly busy spring.

Skies are blue and the temps are flirting with 80 in West MI. After a late wake up, yard work, and youth sports (flag football and all star tryouts for Little League), it's time to relax with a new brew. We're hosting my mom for a couple of days, and she's down with cocktail hour. I'm trading in the gin and tonics and margaritas for a glass of the dark stuff.

This one was at the back of the fridge, but seemed to be primed for a little age on the bottle.

Here's to a summer of more consistent NBS participation.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22564/213190/?ba=GRPunk#review

[​IMG]

#79 GRPunk, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    Prager62, gopens44, LeRose and 21 others like this.
  40. woemad

Society Trader

Been a while since I was in T-town and able to stop by, but I had no idea E9 was now bottling!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.