New Beer Sunday (week 591)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by utopiajane, Jun 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Summer is officially here and Happy Fathers Day to all. Whether it's a summery saison that sets you to strumming your guitar on the front porch or if it's a berliner weiss that you drink during the baseball game, welcome to New Beer Sunday. Today is the day and this is the place for you to TRY a new beer and TELL us about it. Beer is appreciated in each of five categories. Appearance, aroma, taste, mouthfeel and overall impression. So get out your cameras, notebooks and pencils, turn the music up and let's get down to business.

Today I have a cool kolsch and I am very excited about it. I noticed that my local grocery is paying a lot more attention to the New York Aisle and it's getting bigger. We are now sporting beer from our near regionals like never before. This is from Empire Brewing. Turns out the head brewer Ben Botman used to work at Ithaca beer.

The kolsch is a favorite style of mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happy New American German Style Kolsch Sunday

Skinny Atlas Skanealteles it's a pun! Great! And it is a favorite style of mine. The kolsch has roots that are not contemporary by comparison but are very trendy right now. Along with the pilsner this style is being revived by people who love it! This style, in the bjcp is said to the untrained palate to resemble the blonde or a sublte pislner . Well when I have a kolsch that I think is very good I usually think this resembles a blonde not a pilsner every time and I think that about this beer. The differences between the styles are in the amount of malt you will notice on the nose. The amount of hops in the balance which means towards the finish if not really in the finish and the carbonation. Subdued maltiness and delicate dryness are the key phrases that I am looking for today.

Here is the beer -

Color is hazy yellow with a good stream of bubbles. You can see stuff floating in it but it's very small. Thin white head that refreshes.

Nose is clean . Just a bit of bread and some hop herbal. An almost imperceptible fruity ester from yeast and I think this one is pear. Quite breaddy although extremely soft and creamy. A touch sulfury. Crisp clean finish with a light tang that keeps the mouth watering lightly. Finishes malty with only a few bubbles to tingle briskly. As creamy as it is, it is also breaddy and dry. Low noble hops flavor on the palate and a subtle fruity note way in the background. Now as far as why I thought it resembled the blonde - the hops on the mid palate seem to be a moderate presence but without any strong herbal but in the finish they seem to be a low presence. Modest refreshing and I think one of the most authentic I have ever seen. This one is not overly hoppy in any way however a firm bitterness does finish it friendly. Exemplary and the water even has something to do with it.

Crackers and cheese weekend .

[​IMG]

All day baby! All day! This is a session beer.

It's gettin' Grammatik out there. Cheers NBS!

#1 utopiajane, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,947) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

What do you think of when you hear the word “Vienna”?

Is it schnitzel? Is it drinking coffee at cafés? Is it…

Well for me the first thing that pops into my mind is Vienna Lager. What a surprise!?!:rolling_eyes:

I am fortunate that I have in my possession two brands of Vienna Lager: Straub Vienna Lager and Von Trapp Vienna Lager so I will have double the pleasure today. Does that remind you of an old commercial?:wink:

Some folks might ask: So, what exactly is a Vienna Lager? I have a friend who is not a beer aficionado and I once gave him a simplistic description of: “A Vienna Lager is sort of a lighter ABV and lighter bodied Oktoberfest beer”. This short sentence does not capture everything but for a ‘sound bite’ I think it is pretty close.

Some description of the Straub Vienna Lager:

On the neck label it states: “Reminiscent of our old copper brew kettle, this is a traditional amber beer with malty sweetness and a refreshing crisp flavor.”

Some information from the box:

Color: Pale Amber

Malt: 2-row Pale, Vienna, Caramel 60 and Black Malt

Hops: Perle, Tettnang and Sterling

Yeast: North American Lager

IBU: 22

ABV: 5.4%

Below is some text from the Von Trapp website:

“Vienna Style Lager 5.2 ABV 33 IBU

Named after the city in which it originated, our Vienna style lager is brewed using a decoction boiling process. Munich, Pilsner and Vienna malts are used, which add depth to its amber color. Subtle hops, crisp, with residual sweetness.”

Well those descriptions have me salivating like Kang & Kodos (the aliens from the Simpsons show); time to drink!!

Served in my Spiegelau Lager Glasses:

Appearance:

Straub Vienna Lager: Amber colored with a fluffy off-white head.

Von Trapp Vienna Lager: same

Aroma:

Straub Vienna Lager: A prominent bready/malty aroma.

Von Trapp Vienna Lager: A more subdued malt aroma with a hint of floral sweetness.

Taste:

Straub Vienna Lager: Flavor is dominated by the malt (rich bready malt flavor) with low-moderate bitterness.

Von Trapp Vienna Lager: A pleasant sweetish malt backbone with low-moderate bitterness.

Mouthfeel

Straub Vienna Lager: Medium bodied, moderate mouthfeel with a dry finish.

Von Trapp Vienna Lager: same

Overall

Straub Vienna Lager: What I most appreciated about this beer is its substantial malt presence along with a dry finish. A very enjoyable Vienna Lager beer.

Von Trapp Vienna Lager: This is also an enjoyable Vienna Lager; I find it to be quaffable.

I am very thankful that I have two hands to enjoy both of these tasty beers!

Cheers!

@rotsaruch @RobH @KOP_Beer_OUtlet @cavedave

[​IMG]

3. RonaldTheriot

RonaldTheriot Poo-Bah (3,766) Aug 11, 2008 Louisiana
    Society

[​IMG] 5% alcohol. Brewed in Greece.

3.75/5 rDev +5.9%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Volkan Santorini Blonde has a thick, white head, a murky, golden appearance, with fierce, tight bubble streams and lots of suspended tiny and not-so-tiny tan chunks. Aroma is of sweet, honey-topped, white wheat bread, sourdough, cracker, grass, and a bit of hard-stock paper. Taste is of those elements, with a shade of citrus fruit and a spice zing. Mouthfeel is medium, and Santorini Blonde finishes crisp and enjoyable.

RJT

4. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

:astonished: How is it that you have Von Trapp? You are further south than me is all I'm saying. Cheers Jack :grinning:

VABA, 2beerdogs, Premo88 and 6 others like this.
  5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,947) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I am lucky to have good, generous friends!!:slight_smile:

And I forgot to mention in my post: Happy Father's Day everybody!!

Cheers!

Premo88, smanson56, cavedave and 6 others like this.
  6. HectorB

HectorB Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2013 New York

Happy Fathers Day, NBS!

Sometimes being a dad means having to impart unpleasant truths, which brings me to my new beer for the day: Maggie's Peach Farmhouse Ale, by Terrapin. Poured from a 12 oz can, this beer looks nice enough, a cloudy orange with three fingers white head. But that's where the good part ends.

The nose is an offensive, artificial assault of a chemical peach smell. Almost astringent in the nostrils, like smelling an off koolaid powder in an envelope.

Taste is just awful. Artificial peach flavor mixed with some poorly chosen spices. Hard to tell what's underneath, supposedly a saison, but honestly it tastes nothing like a saison. Leaves a bad powdery flavor in the mouth that lingers. And lingers.

Thought I could trust folks from Georgia to make a good peach beer, but I did not enjoy this. Smells and tastes like a barrel of chemical powder poured into a vat of barely-conceived base beer, and stirred with a shovel.

Just one dad's opinion, though, so if you enjoyed this beer, son, more power to ya! Cheers!

7. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,745) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Lol, Natty Greens in Greensboro made Lexington IPA, and IPA brewed with peaches. Sounds harmless enough, but,I took a sip made an awful face tried another and dumped the bottle. Quite easily the worst beer I've had in a long time, and absolutely the worst IPA on earth. We had a few cases left over from a work party, and I volunteered to hand out sixers to the homeless guys that stand on the side of the road. Outside that I would have popped the top on every single bottle and pour them out one at a time. Peaches and beer I guess doesn't work, or at least Natty Greens missed then mark.

dcotom, Premo88, MacMalt and 6 others like this.
  8. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,879) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

That Von Trapp Vienna is the only one I haven't broken into in my variety pack. It's gonna have to be done today, I see ...:slight_smile: Catch ya later.

dcotom, Premo88, MacMalt and 6 others like this.
  9. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,266) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!
    My father died thirty years ago at way too young an age. I'll just say he was a great dad who always found the time to do things with me.
    Today's new beer is Cosmic Ristoretto from Green Flash. It is described as a Baltic porter with espresso.
    It is black in color with a tiny tan head.
    The aroma is coffee and more coffee, with a little chocolate.
    The taste followed the nose. Dark roast coffee up front, followed by cocoa and bittersweet chocolate.
    It was lighter-bodied than I anticipated, but still very nice.

[​IMG]

10. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Tree Shaker from Odell is a tasty IPA with peach. You ever tried that one?

11. ONovoMexicano

Happy Father's Day to all the NBS dads. My daughter is far away in NYC but I just skyped with her and that made my day. Headed up to Santa Fe in a few to celebrate the day with my father. Got a fill of The Usual Imperial Session Ale from Bosque Brewing to give to my dad and I'll be enjoying that later. Any new beers will come later tonight if at all.

I'll live vicariously through y'alls new beers until I get to one.

gopens44, 2beerdogs, dcotom and 15 others like this.
  12. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,432) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Morning NBS! I was able to get a walk in today before it gets too warm. Now I get to settle in with a new beer on this Sunday. Happy Fathers Day to all you dads, especially mine (though he likely won't read this). Even though it's Dad's day, I'm letting a lady take the stage now (sorta);
    [​IMG]

Toppling Goliath PseudoSue:
    At Extreme Beerfest a few years back, we got to try some TG beers. One was King Sue (which may have been more appropriate for today, but beggars/choosers). I don't think the other was this beer, but I don't recall anything about either, so it's new enough :slight_smile:.

So this has a BA score of 100. Let's see...
    The looks live up to the rating. Lovely golden, little to the pale side (lighter and more yellow than the photos indicate). The head almost overflowed the glass, and I gave a safety sip to make sure the vessel fully contained my pour.

On the sip, a got a waft of the aromas this beer is putting off. It's just over a month old, but the dank, lightly oniony note that comes off some well-regarded IIPAs was still strong. Closer inspection and they definitely dominate the nose. On strength, living up to the rating. On actual enjoyable aroma, for me - not as appealing. I appreciate that hop profile with a light vegetal funk as well as some grapefruit sneaking out, but it's not my favorite.

Taste follows the nose, with that onion grabbing a little more of my palate than the others. Grapefruit pith and pine classic notes do finish out the beer, mostly erasing the initial onion flavor. Feel is a big winner to me. Light but not too light. Soft on my tongue, but a nice, low level of carbonation to keep my palate from dozing off.

For a community that in general like the Enjoy By series, I can see why this is highly rated. It reminds me a bit of a softer version of that beer. Unfortunately, to me, I'm only a mild fan of both beers. I could drink this one more, for the lower ABV means the sharpness of the hop characteristic I don't overly enjoy is also lessened.

Very happy to try this, and I'll definitely grab it again, but it's not my cup of tea just enough to not need to seek it out.

LeperJim, dcotom, gopens44 and 41 others like this.
  13. ONovoMexicano

Did you know this beer in the canned format you have is not brewed in Decorah? They brew it at Brewhub (I think that's the name) in Florida and ship it up to Iowa and elsehwere in Toppling Goliath's distribution footprint.

14. The_Kriek_Freak

The_Kriek_Freak Poo-Bah (2,219) Aug 18, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

A (partial) repost from WBAYDT:

I have to say that I'm very impressed by the Greek craft beer scene so far (and I haven't even tried some of their most recommended offerings yet). This here is an absolutely amazing IPA. If it was available in the US it would be all the rage.
    Its name is Voreia IPA. Made by the Siris microbrewery in the northern town of Serres (Voreia means "Northern"), this is a kickass IPA that ticks all the boxes. Lovely hazy copper color, a sweetish hoppy aroma and an amazing flavor and mouthfeel combo. This is my next go-to beer while in Greece. Love the label too.

[​IMG]

Eza Hellenic Pilsener. Delicious. Who would have thought that Greeks can brew? Great balance and very refreshing on a hot summer day.

[​IMG]

Another Greek gem (albeit with some Belgian help): Notias Saffron Blonde. A Belgian ale made with Greek saffron (Notias translates to "The Southerly Wind" in Greek). It has a very prominent saffron aroma and flavor, which take a few sips to get used to. A very unique beer.
    [​IMG]

Vios 5:An adjunct lager made with 5 different "grains" (including rice and maize) by the Athenian Brewery. Tastes (and looks) much better than any other adjunct I can think of.

[​IMG]

LeperJim, dcotom, gopens44 and 35 others like this.
  15. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,679) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Good morning NBS, thanks to @utopiajane for the start and the reminder of what sets NBS apart. To all you dads out there, cheers. This week was the first Western Mass Beer Week, to the team that put this together Great Job!
    Over 50 events in 8 days, with all local breweries participating on collaborations, cask events, new beer rollouts, and today a grand opening of yet another new brewery. The venues, focused and energized, provided for large groups the best offerings from our 4 counties in the 413. They were creative with a wide variety of things to do.
    Lets hope this event repeats
    Today's my offering to you is from Hill Farmstead, Leaves of grass May 2, 2016. A dark dry hopped, oak aged, slightly tart treasure. It displays that signature tactile texture that is HFB, The flavors and feel are to be experienced.
    Off to see my Dad and then help out the folks at Bright Ideas Brewing celebrate their grand opening.
    Cheers all

Leaves Of Grass: May 2, 2016

Hill Farmstead Brewery
    Saison / Farmhouse Ale

4.06/5 rDev -4% | Avg: 4.23
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a 375ml bottle into a large stem goblet, 52 degrees.
    A - Worn saddle leather brown, opaque and mysterious. Steady streams of the tiniest spheres rise
    and accumulate. A loose knit creamy froth of mocha color caps the offering.
    S - Lightly toasted malts, cocoa powder, exotic floral element, a hint of claret wine, and balsamic reduction. The smells are tied bundled with a ribbon citrus. Quite delightful.
    T - Grilled lemon slices over wood fire, a beautiful display of delicate roasted grain, mated with citrusy hop flavors, pineapple, guava, and mango.
    F - Medium in body, the tart start sets of all the right reactions, paving the way for a sweet roll down the center of the tongue, the tart janitors clean that up with help from near perfect carbonation. The calling card is on the tongues edges, a tart tingle of the best kind.
    O - As a series the Leaves of Grass allows the creative collective to work some magic. This offering is that effort on full display. A slightly roasty, tart, delight, complex and refreshing. I can only wish for this to be set as recurring offering.

[​IMG]

LeperJim, dcotom, gopens44 and 40 others like this.
  16. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (3,419) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

New Beer and Comic Pairing Sunday

[​IMG]

Half Acre Beer Hates Astronauts

When I moved back to Pennsylvania two years ago this summer, I experimented with two new hobbies. One of them was comic books.

I was reading Archer & Armstrong, Saga, Batman and a bunch of others. Problem was, I'd be paying around $4 for each comic, and if I really savored and stretched things out, it would take me 10 or 15 minutes to read one. If I wasn't paying attention, maybe 5 minutes. Buying ten or fifteen books a month started adding up, and yeah, I could buy used collections for a bit cheaper, but that would have eliminated a lot of fun of it being a regular hobby. Eventually, I started cutting back, and then just dropped the comic thing altogether.

My other hobby, even though it's even more expensive, I've stuck with: taking photos of beer and posting them on the Internet like some sort of idiot. Don't judge. For some reason, I really enjoy looking a pictures of beer daily, and even reading random folks' impressions of beers each Sunday.

Anyhow... One of the comics I read in my comics phase was called "God Hates Astronauts." It was a zany, nutty story with some great art. When I saw that the creator, Ryan Browne, had partnered with Half Acre to brew a beer called "Beer Hates Astronauts," I immediately wanted one just for the novelty. It was the first beer I put on my "wants" list. I thought, though, that it was a one-off creation, so had sort of given up on ever trying it.

Then, a couple weeks ago, I noticed GHA popping up on WBAYDN again, so I arranged my first ever trade to get it. The beer arrived on Thursday, but I've held off until now on popping it open to share the experience all with you. Happy Fathers Day.

GHA pours a vibrant, light yellow-orange color, slightly hazed, with a fat finger of sudsy white head. It lasts quite a while before leaving behind strong lacing.

It has a delicate and refined grapefruit aroma, with hints of papaya, orange and nectarine behind. Reminds me of some of Singlecut's recent offerings, but not as in your face. It's quite pleasant.

It's light-to-medium bodied, just slightly syrupy, with a nice carbonated prickliness upon swallowing.

The taste has less grapefruit and topical fruit, although there are ghosts of each still there, and a bit more pine, along with a strong dose of citrus rind that mixes with a lingering hop bitterness and a little burst of caramel malt sweetness. The taste isn't as delicate as the aroma, but it's still on the light side.

Overall, a pretty great IPA. I'm glad to have finally tried it.

Shout outs to King Tiger Eating a Cheesburger and Gnarled Winslow. Enjoy your day, BAs.

[​IMG]

VABA, FonyBones, LeperJim and 40 others like this.
  17. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,432) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

No, I did not, although it is on the can which I skimmed. Reminds me of the Grimm I had that was brewed 10 miles from me in VA.

Did you know that I finally got my SD tick 2 seconds ago? At least I think, since I can't tell which 42 I had before; so I'm thinking 7 more states to go.
    [​IMG]

l will admit, wasn't expecting much - with no real reasoning. I did ask the GF what she thought, and she felt better if it than I. Since the can had no date, I couldn't tell if it might be an issue. There definitely were some signs it could be, but I've also had poorly made beers before (I've even made a couple :wink:).

Pours an almost copper color, with only the lightest haze early. Head is light, but actually holds a medium ring and sparse surface coverage. Unfortunately by mid-glass, it looks like tea.

Nose has a light metallic note to it, which could be a sign of age. I also get an ESB like malt/bitter note, though the bitterness is more pungent than I expect from the referenced style.

Taste starts with a lightly sweet tea like maltiness (matching that later look). But there is also a piney to grassy bitterness. The problem blend is the two. It'd be nice if they played together, balancing each other out a little. But they don't seem to meld well together. Feel has a light heft to it; carbonation, though lacking to the eye, isn't actually gone from the feel.

All in all, I feel I'm drinking two things together: a hoppy session IPA and the last running a off some wort. I think this thing needs to go with much paler malts or find a better tuned hop profile for this one. If I knew this wasn't old, I'd have no problem forgetting it forever. I may grab it in a sampler at the brewery, however- just to see.

#17 cjgiant, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    VABA, dcotom, gopens44 and 34 others like this.
  18. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,350) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Good afternoon and happy father's day to all those dad's out there enjoying a few well deserved pints, snifters or whatnot.

My first beer today is the Lemon Bullringue from Bull Snort Brewing courtesy of @st9647v3

[​IMG]

Murky yet bright pale yellow, nearly identical to lemonade with about a 1/2" foamy white head.

Massive lemon straight away that finally allows a little dandelion and a creamy pleasant hand soap thing towards the back of a nice deep inhale.

Tart right away with less lemon than what the nose communicated but still there until a very pleasant dandelion bitterness creeps in. A flowery finish keeps this light tasting beer feathery against a determined bitter finish. Not a lot of aftertaste or bitterness left behind. Overall, this light bodied beer is mighty complex and quite refreshing. Yay!

LeperJim, dcotom, 2beerdogs and 35 others like this.
  19. ONovoMexicano

Well, I thought I wouldn't have a new beer until way later, but I decided to sneak one in. Hair of the dog. Definitely woke up a bit hungover.

Here's the new beer, Odell's Drumroll:

[​IMG]

3.62/5 rDev -2.4%
    look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce can poured into a tulip glass. Odell does best by and as far as I can tell this was canned in late May.

Really like the appearance. Bright golden color that suggests a light-drinking beer. There's a slight trickle of carbonation and a fluffy, sudsy pale white head. As it recedes, a crown of lace pegs to the glass. 5

Not a big aroma, unfortunately. Faint sweet white bread, lemony hops and a touch of grapefruit are all I can perceive. Some underripe mango is there but very faint. What I am smelling I like but I want much more. 3.5

This is all bitter citrus in flavor. Its taste reminds me of lemon and grapefruit peel. There's a distant prickly pineapple flavor and orange juice-like hint on the finish. The malt shows with a delicate sweetness and touches of breadiness. I'm not enamored by this beer's flavor, but it does grow on me. 3.5

Hefty bitterness on the palate here. Prickly carbonation and accompanying zest. Lighter than medium-bodied but it doesn't come off as watery. It's fairly refreshing but not quite enough for me to crave multiple. 3.75

I may have had overly heightened expectations for this brew. It's good, but it doesn't quite hit in the flavor and feel in the way I would want.

LeperJim, dcotom, gopens44 and 36 others like this.
  20. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,314) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

21. mickyge

mickyge Meyvn (1,472) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society

[​IMG]
    Review to follow after we kill the bomber

22. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,226) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Today's "new" beer for me is Weihenstephaner's Hefe Weissbier. No doubt, it is an incredibly old beer considering it's made the "the world's oldest brewery". So, let's get into it.

[​IMG]

Look: Pours a frosty straw color. The head is thick and white, and retains moderate to strong. A nice thin ring of foam sits on top of my beer after a few sips, with any lacing kicked up during the sip sinking back into the ring.

Aroma: Very delightful and playful with the quintessential notes of banana and clove playing a major role. A little Belgian yeast and pollen notes round it out nicely. It reminds me of summer nights spent in the farm fields here in the Midwest.

Taste: A good variety of notes are delivered, and all in balance. Those notes include banana, clove, Belgian spices, yeast, and a hint of pollen/flower. There are complexities that can be sniffed and sipped out, and yet it is just a plain ol' good beer to drink on a hot/warm day. An aftertaste leaves some Belgian yeast and spice on the palate between sips.

Mouth feel: It's well done, with a smooth, velvety texture, and a medium thickness consistency. It certainly keeps it fun and lively to drink.

Overall: This is a beer for any day drinking. The complexities in the aroma and flavor mean it can be sipped and savored or put down in under 60 at a barbecue. Very tasty and fun to drink.

Scores: 4.5 | 4.25 | 4.5 | 4.5 | 4.25 | BA Score: 4.39

LeperJim, dcotom, gopens44 and 36 others like this.
  23. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,113) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Greetings friends,
    Happy Father's Day out there to all you pops!
    OK, I've learned I need to try the Von Trapp beers some day. @cavedave, @TongoRad, and @JackHorzempa have convinced me in various ways that these brews are for me. I would bet that they would be a household staple if they were available in this neck o' the woods.
    I lost my Dad in 1976 when I was 25. He was able to carry WW2 with him for 31 more years. He was a true hero and a great guy!
    I wanted The Winstons original, but this cover is great. Have a great day and try not to drink too much....phhfftt!

24. MortarPestle

MortarPestle Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2008 Indiana

My second Short's and again I am disappointed. Guava is there in the aroma but almost non-existant in the flavor. Flavor is floral and vegetal with a long bitter linger.
    [​IMG]

LeperJim, gopens44, woemad and 20 others like this.
  25. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,852) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Certainly not me, with the Greek Euro Adjunct Lagers I've had that are imported to this country!

Congrats on finding some treasures. I think you're a lock for rarest beers in today's NBS.

2beerdogs, Premo88 and BBThunderbolt like this.
  26. woemad

Society Trader

27. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (2,776) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

Happy NBS from a hot southern WI. Had fun swimming with my kids all afternoon yesterday and plan on keeping it a low key fathers day. I like to drink Saisons and Wild Ales when the temps get into the 80's and today will be 90.

Almanac is new to WI, so this bodes to be a good summer for me. Delores is a clear apricot with a thinner 1 finger white head. Spotty lacing and fair retention. Bright fruity notes of melon and apricot along with yeast. Flavor is big on the yeast and clove with a good amount of melon. Hints of apricot and peach compliment a weak spicy finish. Feel is light and bubbly with good carbonation and a dry finish. Very pleasant Saison that was a delight to drink on this hot summer day.

[​IMG]

LeperJim, dcotom, gopens44 and 30 others like this.
  28. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,314) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Smartest thing MickeyD's has ever done is make Sausage Egg McMuffins available all day. I don't know how much crack they put in each one, but it's just the right amount.

29. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (2,776) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

Hopefully you can try some of the beer brewed in IA. It's always in bombers and delicious! Zeelander is brewed often and one of the best.

ONovoMexicano and cjgiant like this.
  30. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Nice to hear.

A beer buddy just gifted me with a bottle of that and now I'm looking forward even more to drinking it.

Act25 and Ri0 like this.
  31. woemad

Society Trader

Greetings, fellow NBSers,

Thanks to @utopiajane for getting us underway, and Happy Father's Day to Dads everywhere. Just got off the phone with the Old Man, myself. It's currently in the mid 50s and sunny in the city that will be crawling with Hoopfesters next weekend. I'll be in Olympia celebrating the new(ish) niece's 1st birthday and hanging out wiht my parents and my brother's family. Probably no NBS, though I'll be taking some beers, such as a Selkirk Abbey Cuvee de la Nuit Profonde as a late birthday present for my bro.

Didn't have much in the way of new beer until Thursday. I went to The Observatory to see Helms Alee (great band, btw; think sludgy, stoner rock mixed with shoegaze and MFF harmony vocals. The woman who drummed/sang was particularly awesome), and had myself a couple new beers from Whistle Punk (still brewing out of the Hansen Bros.' garage, I think): A Cream Ale and a Mosaic Saison. The Cream Ale was exactly as advertised, but the Mosaic Saison, dry hopped & with 3 different yeast strains, was a case of too much going on that kinda canceled one another out. Also had Everybody's Brewing's Sprinkles , a sour that was casually tasty - quite good while missing greatness.

Yesterday was a fairly epic beer day. Hearing from a fellow local BA on the NW forum that Fort George's much-anticipated 2016 3-Way IPA was available at the Rocket Market, atop Spokane's South Hill, I went in yesterday morning and was told they were out, but then the beer guy said he wanted to double check and came back with the last 4-pk they had. I grabbed it, bought some funky cooking ingredients not found elsewhere such as tamarind paste and picked up a coffee and a pasty to eat in Manito Park. Afterwards I realized they'd only charged me for one of the cans ($2.99) instead of the whole 4-pk!

On my way home I stopped at Growler Guys and picked up a grunt of Speedway Stout and then hit Huckleberry's - easily the most traffic'd place for craft beer in my part of town. All beer and wine was 20%, so I picked up some stuff for my Dad and my brother, then decided (while considering it a waste of time) to ask if they had any 3-Way. They did, just hadn't gotten around to getting it on the shelf, so I picked up another 4-pk. Amongst the various bottles I picked up, plus some good coffee for a late Mother's Day present for my Mom (I'm really not a bad son; my folks have been on a mega-trip for over a month), I failed to notice until looking at the receipt that they also charged me for one can instead of the 4-pk (and this time 20% off!).

Last night after work I finally stopped by the Steel Barrel Tap Room. It's a "brewery incubator." Basically, several nanobreweries (currently two, but apparently they plan to have as many as 5) agree to share brewing space in one portion of the building, which houses a 7-barrel brewing set-up, with a bar featuring 30 taps, with a restaurant specializing in ceviche in the rear. I had my first ceviche ever ("Jalisco style", featuring Red Snapper) with a Gose and a "Farmhouse Funk Ale", both brewed by Young Buck Brewing, and both were excellent.

I plan to hit a raspberry sour from Wander in a little bit, as it's pretty low impact, alcohol wise. Then it's off to work until the evening, when I'll be coming home to that Speedway Stout.

LeperJim, dcotom, gopens44 and 24 others like this.
  32. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Savant (996) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Trader

Happy Fathers day NBS players. Just a beautiful day here on the island. Sunny, warm, with a nice cooling breeze which seems to be keeping the humidity down. A pretty busy afternoon lined up. Hitting my fiancé's side to see here pops and then heading out to the north fork of li to visit my folks who are up for a bit from fl. Not sure how many posts I'll get in today because of it but I'm hoping to hit Greenport Harbor on my way.

My new beer today is Altbier, a german style pale ale, from Prost brewing in CO. Another pull from my beer of the month club thing. No apparent bottle date, and no abv listing either. This site has it at 5% thou.

A dark amber pour with decent clarity, medium carbonation, and a frothy off-white head. The nose smells of malt, funk, wheat, and sugars. It's rather interestingly floral and it really seems to present an interesting drinking experience to come. The drinking starts of tangy with spicy wheat, and lots of caramel malt. Dry, slightly bitter hoppy, and also rather clean on the finish. Nice flavor notes of bread, sour mash, oats, toast, and a slight sugar sweetness. Mouth feel is on the lighter side but it holds up well with all the spicy tones.

Overall, not a bad beer at all and I'm enjoying it. Lots of interesting flavors going on that really harken back to the German style but still remains very refreshing and sessionable. I don't have to throw out the other two bottles. I'm in a solid 3.5 range.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

VABA, LeperJim, dcotom and 36 others like this.
  33. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,350) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Next up is a Founder's Mosaic Promise.

[​IMG]

Golden and hazy with a small white head with just a bit of lacing.

Big wallop of onion and garlic, more than I've ever gotten in the nose of a beer. Almost savory this thing. Hard to get anything else, but I swear I'm getting a smidgen of dill?

Taste is big garlic, then onion. Then rye. It's like liquid savory snack crackers.

Slightly bitter finish, not overly dry and of medium body. Not bad. More complex than most Mosaic brews I've had.

LeperJim, dcotom, Ozzylizard and 34 others like this.
  34. woemad

Society Trader

Almanac's fairly new in my area as well. I've only had one beer so far (Paris of the West), but I'll get around to more (now that a certain enormo-box of midwestern goodness has been eradicated!).

Ri0 and smanson56 like this.
  35. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,349) Mar 22, 2015 Arizona
    Society

my edition to this new beer sunday thing

[​IMG]

saw Sam Adams and the can stating that the haze was from hoppiness and I just thought if you have to tell us that on the can then...
    so I thought this would be just an average 2IPA, and it was! but average doesn't mean bad, just not great. here's the review:
    pours a hazy orange with a large head that really stays for awhile
    smells include big citrus notes of orange , apricot , some pineapple
    and also a dank earthy smell
    first sip leaves big bitterness in mouth, orangy citrus and grapefruit emerge from from bitterness
    to provide some balance, however it's boozy and has IMO too much alcohol.
    big mouthfeel, chewy, creamy, bold and aggressive. oily coat.
    I would put this beside Evil Cousin from Heretic brewing and Marz liquid dreams.
    but does not meet the lofty standards of half acre Double daisy cutter, ninja vs unicorn
    or dark horse double crooked tree. has potential, but too much alcohol for me.

cheers!

36. puboflyons

puboflyons Poo-Bah (5,685) Jul 26, 2008 New Hampshire
    Society

This brewery just opened in Concord, New Hampshire (USA) in April 2016 so pretty much everything from this brewery is "new" for me. It is Litherman's Limited Crisped C.R.E.A.M., with a 5.6% ABV. It is a cream ale. Weirdest color. Kind of a milky yellow with a modest head. They use rice and it shows. Full of rice and cereal grains. Light body. Toasted malt flavor with a low hop profile in both the taste and aroma. It's OK but don't go out of your way for it.

[​IMG]

37. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,012) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Hey y'all I am now drinking a VonTrapp Vienna Lager, and am happy to report my local has re-upped all the Von Trapps, and this delicious and refreshing liquid excellence is far from a new beer. BTW the description given earlier by @JackHorzempa is spot on.

I do have a new one though, and it is in the fridge. Sad to say it is one I wanted to save until December, but which certain problems have convinced me to drink sooner rather than later. Okay that was kind of a mystery, but it will all become obvious in a while. See ya then!

38. woemad

Society Trader

As someone who is seemingly unable to resist beer with coffee and who loves Baltic Porters, you just put this on my radar in a big way!

lordofthewiens and smanson56 like this.
  39. Prager62

Prager62 Poo-Bah (2,266) May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Greetings NBS afficianados and a Happy Fathers Day to all you BA dads. Thanks to @utopiajane for the always stellar job of setting the tone. It's another partly sunny hot day with low humidity that is further drying out the landscape. A lazy afternoon here after a busy one yesterday should make for a few reviews. Let's kick it off with a bottle of Stone Mocha IPA from the six pack I scored last week. It has a bottle date of 05/27/16 with Enjoy By 09/24/16 and an abv. of 9%. Say what you will about Stone, but they hide nothing when it comes to freshness. Let's give it a try!

Pours a transparent dark gold with amber hues leaving a few centimeters of quickly settling off white foam. A very pleasing beer to the eye. Smell is a mild but pleasing mix of coffee and tropical hops. I'm picking up some passionfruit, grapefruit and a hint of cacao in the back. The flavor is huge coffee followed by juicy passionfruit, grapefruit, pineapple and finally a hint of cacao in the finish. The feel begins creamy and oily, then finishes bitter and dry.

[​IMG]

Wow, this is one interesting beer! I had reservations about not only coffee in a juicy Stone DIPA, but cacao as well. I trusted my gut and Stone's reputation for quality and picked up a six. A smart move as I really like the interesting mix of coffee, tropical juiciness and chocolate. It works in a bizzare way that defies explanation. You can definitely taste everything that's advertised on the label. It may be a bit of a polarizing beer because of the unorthodox mix, but I would recommend giving it a try. All said and done my score was 4.12 / rDev +3.3%.

Have a great day, enjoy your beer, food and family time. Here's the official scorecard with the numbers......

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/233603/?ba=Prager62#review

40. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,422) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Another one from Tallgrass Brewing, Top Rope IPA

[​IMG]
    Appearance: Hazy light gold, moderate white cap and lace.

Aroma: Conifer, a bit earthy, something almost like old leather but pleasant. Citrus also, perhaps some floral. Little malt apparent.

Taste: For a hop forward brew this is well balanced. Malt missing in the aroma comes forward in the taste. Hops dominate but don't conceal the malt which comes across as rather dry with a little sweetness but not much. Lively, clean flavors that play their roles well. Finish is dryish and bitter with a lingering aftertaste.

Texture: Reasonably full in feel, it's got some heft to it.

Overall: I like this, well, as much as I care for other IPAs. I might like it better on draft.

LeperJim, dcotom, gopens44 and 27 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.