New Beer Sunday (week 591)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by utopiajane, Jun 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldn00b

oldn00b Champion (888) Feb 23, 2015 Virginia

Hey NBS crew! Hoping to drop by again on this glorious Father's Day. I had the great experience of getting to go to The Veil (hype was met, imho) this week for the can release and met a really cool dude in line who hooked me up with a few cans from past releases. This is one of those and hopefully I can work through a couple others today without just blowing out the palate. Cheers!

[​IMG]

4.44/5 rDev +8.3%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This can is admittedly almost 3 weeks old which is probably not as fresh as it should be but it is overall very enjoyable.

Pours a slightly hazy amber (more orange than red). Nice foamy white head with solid retention but it does fade to a ring after a few minutes. A bit of patchy lacing but not much (or anything like the absurd lacing on some of their other beers).

Nose big citrus hops with a nice bready malt note and hint of typical spice from a red IPA. Grapefruit is the biggest citrus note but there is a bit of dank grassiness present to. Not smack you in the face huge though.

Flavor follows but bitter hops are far more present than would be expected from the nose. Really nice balance here of sweet, bitter and some citrus notes. Not as dank on the palate as I expected. Lingering sweetness from the malt is nice on the finish. Definitely makes this feel pretty crushable.

Feel is relatively typical of the style too - full body, well rounded, a bit brash with a nice drying feel from the bittering hops. This is one of the more tightly carbonated beers I've had from them and it works really well to help lift this off the palate a bit.

I wasn't sure what to expect from these guys with how juicy most of their brews are - this is probably the most traditional brew I've had from them. They did a great job but I like some of their more adventurous offerings better.

2. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Jammit a Belgian Ale brewed with raspberries from Twin Elephant Brewing. The brew is the color of a rose wine and a thin white head. The aroma is biscuit and raspberry. The taste is the same but the berry flavor is stronger. The body is medium and the finish is dry with a slight berry aftertaste. This is a nice refreshing beer on a warm afternoon. IMO the beer would be better with a little less raspberry flavor but it was enjoyable.

2beerdogs, LeperJim, dcotom and 20 others like this.
  3. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,438) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

There is a distinct difference in quality between the beers brewed in Florida and the beers brewed in Decorah, IMHO. I much prefer the Decorah iterations.

4. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,757) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

First new beer of the day is an American Wild Ale brewed with raspberries from the NW corner, and it's a good 'un:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/34416/174840/?ba=woemad#review
    Subtle sweetness, tart, dry - I'd love to be sitting in the secluded, quiet backyard of my parents' old house in the late morning, drinking this.
    This evening I'll be hitting Speedway Stout after getting off work. For those of you done by then, have a great week!

5. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,714) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Hey all!

I am not well unfortunately, I've been fighting a fever since Friday that just wont quit. I've been pounding Tylenol and having the sweat chills and so forth so no new beers of late..

I hate to be a downer also though but my cat's time is ticking.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Long story short if you are a cat owner, they are attracted to computer keyboards. Very often during NBS and WBAYDN she would sit with me, and like you enjoy a beer or two with all of us. She is very sick and doesn't have much time.

Really sucks to be dealing with this, since I already lost my other cat in January it was very unexpected, and being bed ridden sick right now is not helping either.

I so need a beer right now it's not funny but I can't cause of my sickness and medicine.

So give one toast for the girl Daisy!

Wish I could enjoy a beer with you all right now :slight_frown:

Cheers!

2beerdogs, dcotom, gopens44 and 33 others like this.
  6. oldn00b

Hey again NBS. Checking in with another new-to-me beer from The Veil. My wife wanted to share this one so we've got a his/her pour here. Cheers!

[​IMG]
    4.34/5 rDev +2.4%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from pint can into snifter, 2 week old can. Hazy gold in color, slight fizzy head fades immediately and about zero lacing.

Nose is light hop aroma with big lemon and lime notes - lime is far more pronounced for me on the nose. It's exactly what you'd expect but is not overly complex.

Flavor is right in line. The hops are definitely very present but take a bit of a backseat here compared to their other offerings in the sense that the citrus really shines - and for me it's bigger on the lemon than the nose would indicate. This is an impossibly easy drinking refreshing IPA. I have a love/hate relationship with citrus IPAs and this one's flavor falls squarely in the "love" camp. The lemon/lime is natural, light, and clean. Works perfectly with this slightly subdued hop profile. But make no mistake, plenty of bitter here and not a ton of malt sweetness to balance it out.

Feel is nice - but definitely long on the bitter notes from the hops. Nothing overly brash, no watery note, but a bit thinner than I expected. Still, this is a fantastic summer citrus IPA and I could see drinking these straight from the can by the grill, pool, beach etc.

7. Samlover55

Samlover55 Crusader (798) Oct 8, 2015 New York
    Trader

Happy New Beer Sunday and Father's Day
    First time posting in about a month due to various circumstances
    New American Strong Ale Sunday
    Bourbon Barrel-Aged Arrogant Bastard

[​IMG]

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bttl into Tulip
    bottled 10/7/15
    L- brown with tinges of red, with fluffy tan head which isn't going anywhere
    S- strong malty aroma, toffee, hints of bourbon
    T- caramel toffee, followed by some real nice boozy bourbon with a finish of piney bitterness, which is pretty pronounced despite this beer being over 8 months old
    F- medium-bodied, syrupy feel, slight carbonation, with hop tingle on finish
    O- Toffee, Boozy, Hoppy. All these flavors all blend together very nicely for a very good but interesting American Strong Ale.

Cheers!!

8. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Smaka I hope you feel better soon :slight_frown:

VABA, ONovoMexicano, SABERG and 4 others like this.
  9. smbslt

smbslt Savant (913) Dec 26, 2010 Illinois
    Society

A Father's Day gift of sorts from my wife who was in upstate NY this past week.
    [​IMG]
    Even in this over IPA'd world we live in, I had always wanted to try this one based on its many WBAYDN appearances. With it not being distributed here added to its allure.

I would put it on the juicy rather than dank side of the scale. Mildly bitter with a little astringency coming thru at the end of a sustained finish. I think I was expecting a floral aroma but is was just pretty standard with no real standout in the aroma. No qualification today though - it's all about peace & love.

10. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,023) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut

Clown Shoes Whammy Bar. Brought over by my son for Father's Day.
    [​IMG]
    Slight haze, graduated amber, medium to mild head.
    Mild sweet hop smell.
    Front of taste is hop and malt, fades to dry dry hoppy.
    Mouth feel is really good, washes initially full wet, effervescence seems to evaporate the liquid in you mouth.

2beerdogs, LeperJim, dcotom and 29 others like this.
  11. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,092) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

For those hangovers where beer is out of the question, a local soft drink, Cheerwine, is a CURE!. I swear, a 16oz bottle, "nursed" over 5-8 minutes returns one to midnight cleverness.

12. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,916) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there (myself included)!

Here we have Sahalie from Ale Apothecary, a tart, crisp, citrusy American wild ale. Green apple and pear, nice dry oak. Outstanding, as expected. Cheers!

[​IMG]

13. ONUMello

ONUMello Poo-Bah (2,561) Feb 24, 2009 Ohio
    Society

Happy Fathers Day to all the BA Dads and NBS to all here!
    I just got off the phone with my dad and now am enjoying this
    [​IMG]
    As soon as I finish it I'm headed in the pool as it's in the mid-80s just east of Cleveland
    The beer is perfect for the day- dry, grassy (my lawn is unfortunately brown) and herbal notes coming start to finish; not much in the way of citrus or tropical fruit notes from the hops but plenty enjoyable
    Cheers!

LeperJim, dcotom, gopens44 and 25 others like this.
  14. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,386) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Gotta find some time to hit up The Veil. Since they are supposed to start limited distribution up north, I might get a chance sooner than later.

oldn00b likes this.
  15. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,240) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

Well, that's unfortunate news. Bad enough that you're ill, but to have a sick pet makes it even worse.

Smakawhat likes this.
  16. smanson56

smanson56 Champion (807) Feb 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

A good afternoon to all the NBS followers and faithful. Happy Fathers day to all us Dads! This has been a beautiful weekend here in central NH. And the wild flower gardens that line our driveway and yard are doing really well right now.
    [​IMG]
    I had some time yesterday to visit a few of the breweries in and around central and southern NH as once again I'm trying to pack up another box of good NH beers for a BIF that I'm participating in. I was able to hit From the Barrel, they were releasing a Tequila Barrel Aged Stout. Also was able to stop by Kelsen's and then swing over to Deciduous Brewing. I was able to pick up a few new beers to include in my box after drinking it myself of course. So on to my new beer for this beautiful Sunday here in NH. From Deciduous Brewing it is Argent a Berlinerweisse aged on wild blueberries and white peaches.
    [​IMG]
    This beer pours the most lovely reddish hue I have actually seen in a beer in many years. There was a very thin white head on top that disappeared quickly.
    The nose is crisp and clean with most of the aroma coming from the blueberries.
    The taste is a nice tart flavor crisp and pleasing to the palate with the blueberry overtones hanging more to the back. I tried really hard to find the peach that is supposed to be here but I think that it really lost out to all the other flavors going on.
    The mouthfeel is what I expect from a Berliner, good carbonation with that tart crisp sensation as you drink it.
    This is another solid beer from Deciduous true to the style of the beer. I like the eye appeal of this beer almost as much as I like the flavor. I would have to say this beer will probably come out with a solid 4 in my book.
    Cheers and once again Happy Fathers Day!

17. oldn00b

Hey again NBS crew. So it's been a Veil afternoon for me and maybe it's worth noting something about the brewery here. From what I gather Matt Tarpey started out with O'Connor in Norfolk VA. Then went on to work at Alchemist, Hill Farmstead, and Cantillon before setting up shop in Richmond a couple months ago. There's some hype, but with this beer is I absolutely get why. Cheers!
    [​IMG]

4.92/5 rDev +9.3%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I don't understand. This is probably the hoppiest but least bitter beers I've ever had.

Poured from a 1.5 week old can into an IPA glass. Decent head, decent retention. Deep amber, full haze, nice spotty lacing. Head retention could have been better and other beers from them have much nicer lacing.

Nose is perfect. Every hop note I seek out here in perfect balance - juicy citrus (pineapple, orange, mango, grapefruit) dank bitterness, bit of grass, touch of onion. Just, everything and somehow a bit more.

Flavor is perfect. It's all of these things, in waves, in balance. I feel like I don't typically geek out over a beer like this often at all. This one is something truly special. Big orange, mango up front, dank notes next, hint of onion and earth follow and citrus back on the finish. It's even better as it warms with the earth notes coming through bigger and playing off the sweeter citrus notes.

Feel is perfect. It has a a perfectly moderate and balanced touch of abrasiveness - but it's really truly not bitter. It's sort of retraining my brain here. Carb level is perfect, tight, not overly heavy. Juicy but not just like drinking orange juice. Full enough body but light enough to have sip after sip. The ABV is dangerously well hidden.

In short, if I could buy this beer all the time it would be my #1 go to DIPA right now. I don't remember the last beer I enjoyed this intensely.

18. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,714) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Thanks! and as you know Daisy is definitely not camera shy either :wink:

utopiajane and Premo88 like this.
  19. oldn00b

Yeah - I'd really try to find time for this one. I try not to get into the hype machine and was somewhat hoping to be let down but no. Met Matt briefly, talked to his wife for a good bit in front of the house - incredibly nice people. He seems taken aback by how much people love his beer. They've got the marketing down but execution is practically flawless.

Thing on the distro, they posted they did that primarily to get a keg here and there into beer fests so who knows how much will actually leave. They're having trouble keeping up production right now. They unloaded about 300 cases in a little over 2 hours on Tuesday. Tons on tap though and well worth a trip if you don't want to put up with that madness, imho. Cheers man!

LeperJim, dcotom, MacMalt and 2 others like this.
  20. Jay_P22

Jay_P22 Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2016 Virginia

Finally got around to cracking this after swimming this afternoon. Great coffee taste. It is like drinking an iced coffee. I really enjoyed it. Would recommend. For all this coffee taste slapping you square in the mouth, it's actually light and smooth.

[​IMG]

LeperJim, dcotom, gopens44 and 24 others like this.
  21. cjgiant

Society

No doubt that even if they planned to, things could change (and maybe already have). I know Aslin up here has similar issues with capacity vs demand.

22. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,992) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

Howdy, NBSers!

Awesome lead leg by @utopiajane as always, and @JackHorzempa taking the baton and giving us the great Vienna lager-off is pretty cool ... I saw some other great posts as well but my poor old laptop is being old and poor, so let's do it quick:

another braggot for me, my second ... found this one at Whichcraft in Austin (braggot alert for @woemad :grinning:):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's SUPER sweet with a roasted dark-malt presence, a cool floral note from the wildflowers that's a little bitter and a little ... well ... floral:astonished: ... and the mouthfeel is insane. It's like putting a marshmellow in your mouth: very soft but still chewy.

The review:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/38139/154891/?ba=Premo88#review
    3.86 (-3% rDev)

Much different from Lone Pint's braggot, which I suspect is Lone Pinted up with some good hops. This one is not hopped up and much, much darker. Cool brew but only if you're in the mood to sip some sugar.

Love you boys and girls and happy Fathers' Day to all and sundry!

Cheers!

#62 Premo88, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  23. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,448) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Hello New Beer Sunday!

Not only is this a new beer for me, it is also a new brewery also. Further, it is the 100th tick here. So a lot riding on this beer.
    [​IMG]
    Puff from Sixpoint Brewing. Yes, I do like this. It is a delicious IPA. Got a nice hops nose, and taste. Good choice for a beautiful summer day.

LeperJim, gopens44, woemad and 21 others like this.
  24. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,955) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Happy Father's Day!
    Happy Kinda New Imperial Stout Sunday!

First off, this is not a new beer for me, but it has been many years since I've last had it, and for the most part I try to have a 750ml for NBS, kinda a tradition with me, for a while now, but shit happens. Anyway, did a nice little hike today, sunny, nice little breeze every so often, about 90. This brew is very tasty, and worth seeking out for sure, glad to see it around here.

Serpent's Stout | The Lost Abbey

Revisit: 19 Jun 16

750ml
    Caged/Corked

Been A Long Time Coming!

Poured into a chalice a very nice black color, very nice carbonation, with a very nice thick/creamy one-finger tan color, which also leaves a very nice medium size oil slick and some sticky lacing behind. The nose is malty, with some very nice chocolate/toffee notes, vanilla, a very nice touch of figs/raisins/cherries/plums. The taste is very nice, malty, very nice sweetness, chocolate/toffee, with some very nice dark fruit notes. Full body, ABV hidden very well. Overall, this still is a pretty awesome brew. Highly Recommended! Glad to see it around here.

Thanks goes out to ampzilla for this brew.

750ml
    Caged/Corked

This is my 1300th review, and many more to come.

Poured into a tulip a very nice dark black color, awesome carbonation, huge two-finger plus creamy dark tan head, which leaves tons of nice thick sticky lacing. The nose is malty, with some figs/raisins/plums, nice tones of toffee/chocolate, nice touch of caramel. The taste is awesome, slightly sweet, malty, nice touch of dark fruits, very nice tones of toffee/chocolate, with a nice added benefit of caramel. Full body, this brew is tasty to say the least, smooth, chewy/creamy, the alcohol is hidden very well. Very drinkable, and highly recommended. Thanks Andrew!

Cheers!
    [​IMG]

25. foundersasap

foundersasap Disciple (303) Feb 2, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Happy Father's Day BAs, it's 90 plus degrees here and I'm drinking a RIS, why because I stumbled upon this one and could not pass it up and I'm getting burned out on IPAs lately. Ok that's bullshit, AC on max, Tiger game on and lunch with dad! What about that beer?

Jackie Os, Dark Apparition
    10 % RIS
    $5.99, 12.7 oz, cool, a little extra
    Pours black as 10W40 with 10,000 miles, little head as hard as I tried, leaving small ring in my Kuhnhenn snifter, smells of coffee, chocolate and charred nuts, pretty sweet initially with some hop bitterness follow up. Pretty solid and going to nurse it and see how it warms up! Cheers

[​IMG]

26. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,860) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Happy Father's Day to all of the dads out there on this glorious lazy Sunday afternoon. I come to you with another outstanding Von Trapp beer-
    [​IMG]
    Vienna Style Lager

It starts with a beautifully blended aroma of toasty malt and spicy/grassy hops. The palate adds a creamy richness as the toasty malt comes to the fore. Bitterness plays a moderate but crucial supporting role, as the creamy sweetness of the malt character finishes dry, with a lingering bread crust finish. Oh, man, this is just so squeaky clean, and those flavors just shine and pop as a result. These are familiar flavors to most of us, but it's rare that they get presented in such an impressive and elegant manner. I am left with the impression that a crisp minerally water profile and slight lactic acid fingerprint is giving just the right amount of structure and definition here. Whatever it is, I am left with the desire to take another sip just as my last one goes down :slight_smile:. Drinkability is off the charts, and I'm gobsmacked with how damn near perfect this beer is. A+ (4.85) Time to open bottle #2...

#66 TongoRad, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  27. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

It's the peak heat of the day and my kids desperately wanted to play outside in a sprinkler. Seemed like a good idea to me and now I can sit and enjoy another new brew. I have been unintentionally sitting on this beer for over a year now. Today was an excellent opportunity to enjoy it.

Yazoo Embrace the Funk Batch 1. Very dark garnet in color with a dirty 2 finger white head. Good retention and some blobs of lacing on my glass. Aroma is deep with malt, acidity, and some wine oak barrel notes. Flavor is intense with a bog punch of sour cherry, green plum, and some currants. There is a vinegar sourness but it is held in check from the malts and wine barrel it was aged in. It is a light body with a prickly sour finish. This was pretty deep in flavor and wasn't just a pure sour bomb. I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would.

[​IMG]

28. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

@cjgiant This is one from TG that you would enjoy!

Premo88 and cjgiant like this.
  29. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,551) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Hi everyone. Happy Father's Day to all the BA Dads. I hope you're having a nice day with your families and getting to sample some good beer. And welcome back Maria and thanks for today's intro. I've been looking forward to trying Mexican Cake since Westbrook began distributing in New Jersey. So far, I've enjoyed all of their offerings. This Imperial Stout really is delicious and fun to drink . . . even on a 90+ degree day! Here's my review:

4.46/5 rDev +2.1%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into snifter. It pours a color between a dark mahogany and jet black with a think, mocha-colored head and lacing. Despite a hard pour, the head dissipates quickly. It smells of roasted malt, cocoa, vanilla, cinnamon, and the habanero peppers. It's an extremely fragrant stout. The first taste sensation is dark chocolate and burnt coffee, followed by vanilla, cinnamon, and the peppers. It finishes with a nice peppery heat. Despite its 10.5% ABV, it is not overly boozy; it lets the peppers provide both heat and flavor. It has a medium-chewy mouthfeel and is overall very pleasant to drink. Overall, Mexican Cake is delicious and fun to drink. It richly deserves its world-class rating. I'm really happy to have finally tried it.

30. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,690) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Great pool day today, 84, sunny, no humidity. Pseudo Sue, a Todd, and finished with a Furious. A great line up of some of my favorite IPAs in the world outside NE and Fatheads. Nice buzz to grill by.

dcotom, woemad, MacMalt and 5 others like this.
  31. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,190) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Greetings from Nashville, and happy Father's Day to all the dads out there. My new beer today is from a new brewery to us: Yee Haw Beer ifrom East Tennessee. They just started distributing here and I've heard good things, so I picked up a sixer yesterday.

Dunkel - Yee Haw Brewing Co, Johnson City, TN

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A nice deep ruby brown color on the pour into the glass, settling into a clear, rich dark chestnut color. A thick light tan head persisted, finally settling into a thin cap that stayed on the beer. Very prominent dark bread on the nose, with some plum at the end. My high expectations were exceeded on the first sip: big flavors of bread, cocoa, roasted malt, plums, and a modest spicy bitterness on the finish. This is the tastiest beer that I have had in a while. The feel was full-bodied and creamy, not sweet at all, and very satisfying. This is a damn good beer. Cheers!
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

32. MacMalt

Society Trader

Thanks for the review. It seems that peach is hard to get right in beer. It often tastes artificial. It's also very subjective. I happen to like RJ Rocker's Son of a Peach but a lot of reviewers seem to hate it. I hope you found something else more to your liking!

33. MacMalt

Society Trader

Boy, no matter how long they've been gone you sure miss them, don't you? It's ironic that Father's Day sometimes makes you feel as much a child as it does a Dad.

34. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,350) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Enjoying a fantastic third NB.

Carton 077-07006, dry hopped with Sorachi Ace

[​IMG]

Murky orange with about a finger's worth of beige-ish head gives this I e a nice little appearance.

Nose pops a brilliant menagerie of earthiness (twang of funk), copper and wild flowers.

Taste pulls in with an earthy, gritty quality before big time dandelion follows up before a dash of heat.

Finish is dry, bitter and completely lacking sweetness despite a nice malt balancing act. Another great and complex beer for me today - yay me!

VABA, LeperJim, beerloserLI and 30 others like this.
  35. MacMalt

Society Trader

36. MacMalt

Society Trader

@smakawhat, I hope that you quickly recover and so does Daisy! While I'm a dog guy, my Mom had cats that I swear were half human and wonderful companions. Feel better soon!

woemad and Premo88 like this.
  37. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,036) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Truly sorry to hear that- ive got 2- Magic 15yrs and Lucy 13. Magic hasn't been too well lately so I can relate. I hope for the best - and great memories- GWS!

woemad, MacMalt and Premo88 like this.
  38. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,006) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

New American Imperial Stout Sunday (week 591)
    Greetings fellow NBSers from on the ridge in Mid Hud Val, NY. Happy Fathers Day to all the dads out there! Of course today I am once again reminded how very much I miss my dad, gone these long years that never seem to offer a lessening of the empty and pain in my life that is him not being here. Oh that he was with me now sharing a beer.

Of course, Dad was mainly a Budweiser drinker, with an occasional foray into the darker and more flavorful imports. I credit him with bringing home cases of Lowenbrau back in the day that I would occasionally pilfer, and I credit him even more for never busting me for it, though he certainly must have noticed bottles missing. Those Lowenbrau back in the day launched my tastebuds on a search for better flavor that continues now. Thanks Dad!

Dad would not have liked this beer, though, I don't think. But I am loving it. Sorry to have had to open it, but the trouble that is happening with many Bourbon County beers of most recent vintage made me worry that keeping it until our Stout Night tasting in December was too much of a gamble. Happy to report that it is not at all showing infection, it is a marvelously delicious accomplishment of berry and cherry flavor in a beer that is just boozy enough, and has perfect amount of barrel and roast. The linger is exceptionally clean, which is rare for a big stout using cherries. Really loving it, even though it is anti intuitive to be drinking it on a day this hot.

Hope you also have a Great American Beer in your glass. Cheers!

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1146/184027/?ba=cavedave#review

[​IMG]

The acoustic quartet for whom I provide hand percussion does this song that sums up today so well.

39. cjgiant

Society

Seen that one around the internets here, but haven't laid eyes on it in real life yet. Definitely will snap it up now if I do see it!

MacMalt likes this.
  40. Act25

Act25 Poo-Bah (3,018) Nov 8, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

Sunday Jun 19 Fathers Day
    My Son gave me great present by learning to ride a bike today.
    Over the last week, I reviewed 3 new Sierra Nevada Summer (mid) pack beers, and a Summer Solstice to skip from Anderson Valley

11.5 Plato | Sierra Nevada
    3.82/5 rDev +1.6%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75
    No surprise Sierra does session IPA almost as well as Founders or Carton or Stone.
    A: Pours a deep golden color with 2 fingers of head that slowly fades and leaves lots of streaky lacing.
    S: Best part. Lots of citrus, floral, and fruity notes up front with a firm malt backbone and some spiciness.
    T: Follows the smell. Starts with a abundant citrus, floral, and fruity notes that opens up to malt and a bready sweetness. Bitterness then prevails in clean finish with lingering citrus.
    M: Light-thin bodied with moderate carbonation, but not watery.
    O: A solid session IPA found in this year's (2016) summer pack. I would not seek it out especially otherwise.

Nooner Pilsner | Sierra Nevada
    3.76/5 rDev -2.1%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75
    Sierra Nevada rarely goes wrong, and is typically best for the buck - witness Torpedo.
    This is mid-pack pilsner - but I have a hard time and would need a blind tasting to tease pilsners apart.
    A: Pours a crystal clear golden body with a frothy two fingers; only a bit of stickage or lace.
    S: Floral and grassy, with a bordering on mass produced light grain and malt core.
    T: Follows smell. Light, bright and biscuity, but what saves this one is the long clean grassy hops build with a slightly spicy character to the hops, leaning into the crisp, dry finish
    F: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation, and exceptional, light, crisp, dry finish. Good food beer.
    O: Sessionable and will go great with food

Hoppy Lager (2016) | Sierra Nevada
    3.71/5 rDev -2.6%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75
    I find IPLs hard to discern, but this is one of the better ones along with Carton Sit Down Son and others.
    A) Pours a clear golden color with a 1 finger white head with minimal retention and lacing.
    S) Sweet malt, bridged by light bright hops, crisp and clean.
    T) Much sweet malt with biscuit, with a leafy, grassy bitterness, and finishes crisp and clean, but perhaps boring.
    M) Medium bodied and crisp
    O) Drinks like a light beer, but packs a punch like an IPA.

Summer Solstice | Anderson Valley
    2.96/5 rDev -19.6%
    look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3
    What beer drinker wants a root beer or a cream soda?!?!?
    I dislike flavored, sweetened coffees as much as most flavored beers. If I want cola, root soda, or lemonade or any other kind of fruit essence or juice in my beer - why would I not add it myself?!?!?!
    A) A cloudy red-orange amber with nearly no head or lacing.
    S) Aroma is cream soda and ballantine with red grape.
    T) Tastes treacly, toasty, toffee and sickly sweet caramel with few hints of fruit
    F) Feels woody and clumsy/cloying with no hop bitterness. I dont get this for summer, it's sweet, thin, light winter brew.... Pass.
    I enjoyed Vode's characterization though I don't dislike this as vehemently. Still, not a go-to brew.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.