New Beer Sunday (week 591)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by utopiajane, Jun 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,011) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Hope my, and all of our, wishes help you deal with being sick and impending loss. I know you have probably heard all kinds of advice but 6 generations of my family have fought that shit with fresh chicken soup with lots of greens and garlic. My kids and I swear by it and I highly recommend the hassle involved with making it fresh and right.

Healing vibes sending now from you friendly neighborhood BA hippy.

woemad, ONovoMexicano, dcotom and 5 others like this.
  2. cavedave

Society Trader

Do you get? Let me know by private message if you don't.

utopiajane likes this.
  3. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,099) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Well Good evening all- And of course Happy Fathers Day and Thanks Maria for the kickoff and proper explanation of the style- always a good lesson for me. This day not only brings back memories but also reminds me I'm lucky to have my Dad still. He's eighty and since my Mom was lost entirely too early its good to still have Dad around. This day also reminds me of not how great a Dad I am but that I need to get better as a Dad. I have two great kids- son 23 and Daughter 20 and I wife who puts up with all my crap. So I always need to be conscientious of that and always improve.
    So todays brew was hard to pick- I have a few new ones. But I received this from @PatrickCT - he is aware I like a well made Brett IPA- which can be rare. So here it is:

Kent Falls Brewing -This Isnt Even My Final Form- Brett IPA

I pop the cap on this and get a nice unexpected wiff of tropical and citrus with very little Brett. The beer poured starts with a voluminous head that calms after a few to a thin ring. The color is of hazy straw and there are traces of spotty lacing.

The smell once again is of tropical fruits- pineapple, maybe a touch of mango and some citrus - lemon, lime and grapefruit. There is a hint of Brett but its not overpowering and there are some sweet notes of doughy malts. Nice smelling brew that has all the aromas you'd expect in an IPA.

The taste again is wonderful tropical fruit with sweet tangerine and pithy grapefruit. There are notes of grass and some sweetness from a touch of malt that is balanced by a pleasant bitterness. The Brett is there- but is not a major player- there is just enough to keep this out of the ordinary. These Brett IPAs are hard to pull off with balance and this one is skillfully crafted. Very Nice indeed.

Feel is medium bodied- a little heavy for the style but that is corrected by the ideal amount of carbonation and the pleasant bitterness drys out and makes this a very easy and thirst quenching beer- another aspect hard to pull off in these beers.

Only my second crack at Kent Falls and I have to say its damn good. These people know how to walk the line between cutting edge and adherence to a style. Man, the Brett/Hop balance is perfect. The drinkability spot on and the originality perfect. I might just say that to date its the best presentation of the style Ive had- a style many shy away from.
    Thanks KF- and Thanks Patrick.
    And for NewOldVinylSunday- there is no NOVS today - sorry folks. Too nice to go inside. Ill just sit out here and check out your posts. Should be a good time! As always thanks for taking the time and have a great week.[​IMG]

#83 tasterschoice62, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  4. tasterschoice62

Society Trader

RJ Rockers- I totally agree- thought I was the only one. Though I can rarely find it fresh around here

rgordon and MacMalt like this.
  5. jhartley

jhartley Poo-Bah (2,838) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

Good afternoon NBS-ers! Today being Father's Day I figured I would treat myself!

Grimm Super Spruce
    Dry Hopped Gose Ale Brewed With Spruce Tips And Conditioned On Oak
    [​IMG]
    January 2016 vintage

Poured a pale golden color with some haziness. The only head formed at the initial pour and dissipated quickly.

Strong aromas of spruce tips, pine, hops with a slight sourness. But as expected the spruce dominates BIG TIME.

Yep, definitely getting those spruce tips up front. A nice piney hoppiness is right there in the middle, ending with a nice sour and saltiness that is quite refreshing and the saltiness entices you to drink even more! Not sure if I am getting a lot of oak; but this does have nice layers of flavor. Really love the taste of this beer!

Mouth feel is light and there's a crispness to it that is nice.

Overall, this is a very nice Gose from Grimm. The addition of spruce tips is a great idea; it dominates the flavor but the finish let's you know that this is a Gose. The sour and saltiness on the end is welcome finish that balances out amount of pine in this bottle.

Cheers!

6. LeperJim

LeperJim Meyvn (1,058) Feb 10, 2008 Ohio
    Society

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi NBS gang!

My wife brought Alice home for me.

Generally, a bomber bottle weighing in at only 6.3% ABV does not interest me very much.
    Yeah, I'm one of those BA's.

But! Those magical words "Belgian Blonde Ale" get me every time. Especially when my
    wife (also a blonde), is offering to purchase "Alice" for me!

Alice comes from Rhinegeist in Cincy. My experience with Rhinegeist is limited despite
    this part of Ohio being buried in the stuff. I've only had a couple I thought were pedestrian.
    Anyway! Alice is crisp, and grassy. The label touts banana and pear notes and BY GOD
    they're in there! Also states it's brewed with a new American hop called LemonDrop. : )

Excellent summertime beer and I would prefer a six pack of cans. : )

Thanks for letting me check Belgian Blonde Alice off my list Honey!

7. StraightNoChaser

StraightNoChaser Poo-Bah (2,311) Oct 21, 2007 Georgia
    Society Trader

8. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,220) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Giving another new-to-me hoppy beer a go. This one is from Missouri's 4Hands, and it's called Send Help. Alright. Let's drink.

[​IMG]

Look: This beer pours an opaque yellow-straw, with a medium-thin (1 cm) white head. The beer was poured, the above picture snapped, and then the can was rinsed and put in recycling. Upon my arrival, the head had nearly completely disappeared.

Aroma: Muted and softspoken hop notes including citrus, spruce, and floral come to the front. A nutty, earthy malt background keeps this beer grounded and understated.

Taste: Upon sipping it, it does not resonate loudly with hop notes in the flavor profile. It opens up mellow, with wheat and nutty malts. The aftertaste is more on the hoppy side with notes of spruce, and citrus. It is incredibly simple in its profile, which makes it easy to drink. Not all the notes are delivered on adequately.

Mouth feel: It just looks thin, as the beer seems to slosh around the glass a little easier than most. The mouth feel supports this claim, as it has a thin, watery consistency. Carbonation and a bit of particulate add some texture, but otherwise it's incredibly thin and slick.

Overall: Not a beer I would recommend. It certainly is understated and low key which may work for some, particularly on a day in the triple digit Fahrenheit range. Not all the notes seem to be well delivered or expanded upon.

Score: 3.5 | 4 | 3.75 | 3.25 | 3.5 | BA Score: 3.7

9. IDABEERGUY

IDABEERGUY Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2013 Idaho

Having a Wild Huckleberry Lager from Great Norrhern Brewing..... Just Meh..not awful just bland..... When I buy a flavored beer I want big smack you in the mouth flavor.......gonna slam it an grab a different beer.....

woemad, gopens44, utopiajane and 5 others like this.
  10. cavedave

Society Trader

Not these people, it's all the genius of one person, it's all about my buddy Derek.

11. tasterschoice62

Society Trader

Very cool. And I didn't mean that in a derogatory way at all- quite the opposite. He certainly has the balls and ingenuity to get that place on the map.

PatrickCT and cavedave like this.
  12. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (3,415) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Congrats on teaching your son to ride. That's one of those life skills dads are required to teach their kids, no matter how busy life gets.

13. highdesertdrinker

highdesertdrinker Zealot (562) Nov 5, 2012 Arizona
    Trader

[​IMG] Hello everybody and greetings on a scorching Fathers Day in Southern Arizona. I had my digital meat thermometer out in the back yard and it was registering 114 in the direct sunlight. I got my hands on 3 cans of Bouleverd Tropical Pale Ale, but I'm giving one to my son since I am a Beer Advocate, not a Beer Bogart.

BOULEVARD TROPICAL PALE ALE
    5.9 % ABV

Canned on 4-27
    Appearance: dark golden hue, head is medium, a little lacing.
    Aroma: fruity with some hops, smells tropical.
    Taste: light and delightful, fairly hoppy, decent malt backbone, a malange of tropical flavors,
    Perhaps some guava, mango, grapefruit, others that I can't quite identify.
    Mouthfeel: average carbonation, decent body for a Pale.
    Boulevard set out to tap into the tropical segment of Pale Ales, and they certainly came up with a tasty, fruity concoction that is a good addition to their lineup. This is a Pale Ale that I would buy and drink again given the oppurtunity. I also like the standard Pale by them as well.

Appearance - 4
    Aroma - 4.25
    Taste - 4.25
    Mouthfeel - 4
    Total - 4.125

#93 highdesertdrinker, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    foundersasap, VABA, woemad and 28 others like this.
  14. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,349) Mar 22, 2015 Arizona
    Society

stay cool down there man!

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  15. LeperJim

LeperJim Meyvn (1,058) Feb 10, 2008 Ohio
    Society

Clarification: It was poorly worded to say I've only had a couple Rhinegeist beers that were "pedestrian". Meaning, of all their beers that I've enjoyed, a only couple were pedestrian. This brewery is SOLID! I love Truth IPA, Sabertooth DIPA, Panther, Café Ink, Gramps, and others. Just wanted clear that up if any Rhinegeist folks or fans are on here.

Now, back to the rest of Alice!

VABA, woemad, dcotom and 4 others like this.
  16. tasterschoice62

Society Trader

And not to beat a dead horse but I have a best friend who also started a brewery from he the ground up Sean L of Revival who also does all the Narragansett HP Lovecraft recipes and without the help of his people would never have gotten to where he is. So IMHO mans ingenuity evolves into "people" who believe and want to work with you to follow your vision. As we know no one survives in this business by themselves. My comment was not intended to be an insult Rather praising and admiration for what it takes would be more of a fitting assessment.

laketang, PatrickCT and MacMalt like this.
  17. stevoj

stevoj Poo-Bah (8,068) Nov 22, 2011 Idaho
    Society

There's still hope for lagers. Not your father's lager, but maybe your grandfathers. Boise The Big LeBoise Lager..[​IMG]

woemad, gopens44, utopiajane and 7 others like this.
  18. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,877) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Great review- I'm thoroughly impressed with Kent Falls myself. They (well...Derek :wink:) have a very deft touch with the brett and the hops, and use them in a very complementary way.

lic217, PatrickCT and tasterschoice62 like this.
  19. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,628) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Thanks, @cavedave, for your observations about your Dad. My Dad drank Miller High Life. We had a delivery every two weeks of a case of 7 oz. "nips." He drank one after dinner every night. He worked in NYC, and when he arrived home he and my Mom would have either a Martini or a Dewers. With my prodding, he later changed to Heineken and then to Sam Adams Boston Lager. I often wonder what he would think of my craft beer drinking now. I just finished a bomber of Westbrook Mexican Cake. Would he like it? I guess I'll never know.

20. ichorNet

ichorNet Poo-Bah (1,957) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society

Hey all! Happy NBS and Happy Father's Day as well to all of you dads and father figures out there. Today I only have one new beer that I can share with you all, and it's Uinta's Tangerine Hop Nosh.

[​IMG]

Pours a nice, clear-ish, golden-orange color with a retentive bone-white head. Doesn't form very much, volume-wise, but what's there sticks around for the entirety of the session. Lace seems very consistent, coming down in small sheets over time. Definitely a good looking beer here.

I've only had one other tangerine-laced IPA that I can recall, and that was the seemingly under-the-radar Stone Tangerine Enjoy By. I feel like I saw it one day and it disappeared the next. I liked it well enough, finding the slight juicy, bright notes of the citrus to work with the hoppy and complex base beer, but overall it wasn't a huge improvement (or even difference, really) over the normal Enjoy By formula. The nose on this one is very "green," fresh-smelling and loaded with citrusy hop notes that seem to play well with the fruit addition. I definitely pick up a bit of tangerine as well as some grapefruit and orange pulp. I have to admit I am not as familiar with Hop Nosh as I'd like to be at this particular moment... I think the last time I had it was before the whole name change thing, when it was still called Hop Notch! I remember liking it well enough, but recalling specifics is out of the question. I can definitely say that this presents as slightly more citrus-forward than most IPAs on the market right now, so the tangerine must be doing something for this.

Taste delivers satisfactorily with layers of piney hops, grapefruit, tangerine and orange juice with a pulpy and grassy note that lasts until the very end of each sip. Slight crackery malt body holds the whole thing together, but this features the juice addition quite prominently. The well-rounded flavor is likely in no small part due to its rather heavy alcohol content (7.3%) for the style. I've had some low-ABV fruited IPAs that basically drank like seltzer (Captain Lawrence's Grapefruit Effortless is the first that comes to mind, though I did enjoy my six pack of it), so having one that stands up as a beer proper is a treat. And it's cheaper than the semi-comparable Grapefruit Sculpin by a few dollars, while being rather well-balanced/compromising between hops and fruit.

Feel is rather coating and oily, with a dry finish and medium body. The palate does an interesting dance between juicier and hoppier flavors, while still always landing square in the middle, making each sip satisfying. This is a good beer that I am happy to have five more cans of in the fridge. Eminently crushable yet flavorful, bright and hoppy, this is a fruited IPA I can get behind whole-heartedly!

As I drink this, I'm listening to a very complex, interesting progressive rock/metal album that some of you may enjoy. The band is called Grayceon and they are a three-piece band playing long-form songs featuring electric cello as a main instrument. Very cool stuff here with a lot of unique ideas.

#100 ichorNet, Jun 20, 2016
  21. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,544) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Happy Father's Day, NBSers. First up, this extraordinary (IMHO) Belgian Pale Ale.

[​IMG]

Allagash has no distro in Minnesota, so I had to order this through my online source (Craft City), and I'm glad I did. I really enjoy BPA's in the summer - something about the combination of the hops and the Belgian yeast that just appeals to my palate, and this has that in spades.

The pour yields a fluffy off-white head of 2+ fingers, and the body is copper-tinged and cloudy. Simply gorgeous. The Belgian yeast is heavy on the nose, but some grassy hops poke through, too. The taste has the effervescent Belgian yeast, the grassy hops - and some citrus at the end of the taste, which kicks this up another level or two, IMHO. I am REALLY enjoying this on a beautiful Minnesota evening as I contemplate asking Mrs. O to grill the steaks - but I never will, because grilling and drinking a really good beer is one of life's simple pleasures that I enjoy immensely.

Rated 4.27.

22. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (2,324) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Society

Trillium Pot & Kettle. An oatmeal porter with cold brewed coffee.
    [​IMG]
    I had my first pour of this about an hour and a half ago and, wow, what a lovely beer.
    The beer presents itself as one would expect of a porter. A closer look, though, held to the light reveals a lovely chestnut hue around the edges. It is a full looking beer but not viscous or syrupy.
    [​IMG]
    The aroma shows off the malt and oatmeal. Cold brewed coffee(yes, cold brew has it's own characteristics) hints of chocolate, pots du creme, oats, slight nuttiness and a delicate, spicy hop presence.
    [​IMG]
    The second pour showed two things. That this beer benefits from warmth and that the taste and mouth feel harmonize so well.
    I appreciate balance and subtlety in beers, as apposed to being punched in the face by huge, obvious flavors. Pot & Kettle layers beautifully a complex malt base, cold brewed coffee and hops. Fruit undertones of dark currents and cherries mingle with roasted malts, coffee and the oatiness. The oats lending to a heavier mouthfeel than the rest of the beer would suggest. The slightly spicy hop finish and the medium carbonation lend themselves to the finish of this beer, preventing it from becoming fatiguing on the palate.
    I want to thank @tasterschoice62 again for this wonderful beer. It really is an outstanding porter and has lived up to the hype of both Pot & Kettle and Trillium in general.
    Cheers, all. And to all you fathers on BA, Happy Fathers Day!

23. tasterschoice62

Society Trader

Really great brew- the balance with Brett/hops was second to none

TongoRad and PatrickCT like this.
  24. tasterschoice62

Society Trader

Awesome review! Spot on - I want another right now after reading that

cavedave, cjgiant and PatrickCT like this.
  25. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (2,324) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Society

I had a huge review written and I deleted a lot of it. Over-thinking this beer is a mistake. It is unique in small ways but it's execution is more impressive.

VABA and tasterschoice62 like this.
  26. cavedave

Society Trader

In Derek's case he wishes that were the situation to a greater degree than it is haha.

I didn't mean to imply that the ingredients he gets from the two farms isn't a key part of it, or that the assistants who work with him aren't also key, or that the barrels he gets from the winery aren't also a great benefit. And I've met Barry Labendz a few times and I've worked at the brewery with him down and dirty, so I know Barry's passion and how important what he contributes is. I only meant that we all knew back in homebrewer days that Derek's recipes and associations with yeast trappers and incredible palate would make the beers we all loved into a successful brewery and I always think of it that way. And you're right I shouldn't.

dcotom, lic217, laketang and 2 others like this.
  27. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,669) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Good afternoon, all! Happy New Black Rye IPA Sunday, and a great big shout-out to @utopiajane for the excellent introduction to the day's festivities! My new beer for today is Wookey Jack. We don't get Firestone Walker in our neck of the woods, so I was really looking forward to trying this. Quite striking in appearance, a deep blackish brown with a creamy tan head that lasts forever.
    [​IMG]

The aroma is complex. There are notes of pine, roasted malts, and citrus, but there is also a floral and peppery spice character. The palate follows the nose, with an intensely bitter aftertaste that is not at all unpleasant. For me, the floral spiciness is what sets this one apart. To sum up, there is nothing about this beer that I didn't absolutely love. Bravo!

Oh, one more thing: I didn't notice until after I poured this that there is a logo on the bottom of this 50-cent glass I picked up at the thrift store last week. It is a Riedel glass. Score!!

28. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,220) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Baraboo's Lumberjack Indian Pale Ale is on the chopping block next.

[​IMG]

Look: While the photo makes this beer appear very red/deep burgundy, it is more of a hearty orange-burgundy when held against the light. The head is off-white, medium-thick, and retention is moderate. A few dashes of lacing left behind here and there, but nothing consistent or coating.

Aroma: Pine and resin hop notes play a minor part in the aroma, which is mostly malts. Malt notes are bread, and biscuit. It also smells a bit dry, with the notes not lasting long.

Taste: Malt notes drive this beer onward and forward, with biscuit, bread, and musky malt notes throughout the flavor profile. Notes of pine and spruce hops appear sporadically which give this beer a little more bitterness. The hop notes are really being drowned out by the malt notes on this one.

Feel: It feels abrasive between both carbonation level and a small level of particulate in the beer. Nothing crazy. The thickness consistency is medium.

Overall: This beer leaves something to be desired. The label of Indian Pale Ale evokes ideas of hops, bitterness, and more fruity, resin, bright flavors, meanwhile this beer retains some bitterness, but with very muted hop notes.

Score: 3.75 | 3.5 | 3.25 | 3.5 | 3.5 | BA Score: 3.39 | avg score: 3.46 | rDev: -2%

29. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,111) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

New Let Your Hair Down Sunday
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    War Mullet

3.31/5 rDev -18.1%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

From a bomber bottled 6/1/16

Pour looks great. A slightly foggy bright orange color. The off-white head is very frothy. Looks like you could rest the cap on it. Really good retention. Still a layer of film on top 10 minutes later.

Smells like apricot gelatin, a little citrus, and pretty malty. Syrupy caramel type. Nothing really endearing here.

It tastes a little better. A ton of pithy and sour apricot, mandarin orange, maybe some grapefruit. Really pretty sour overall. A hit and run punch of bitterness. Fairly ripe and zesty with a spicey bite at the end. It has an awful lingering aftertaste that made me drop the taste score a notch. Not sure how to describe it other than a malty mess with bad fruit.

The body is nice until you find out how drying it is in the end.

Overall this one is okay at best. By far my least favorite 3F beer, and it is honestly going to be hard to finish the whole bottle.

30. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,544) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

#2, short and sweet because I'm the grill master tonight.

[​IMG]

This BA RIS is from 18th Street Brewery in Gary. It's 10 miles or so from Three Floyds. 3F's gets all the beer nerd attention, but 18th Street is world-class. This beer is another example why. The barrel is very present - but the chocolate flavors really come through to make this the most quaffable 12%-ish beer I've ever had (that I can remember, which is another story). This is astonishingly good, IMHO.

Rated 4.44.

31. GRPunk

GRPunk Meyvn (1,246) Apr 5, 2007 Michigan

New Triple IPA Sunday

Happy Father's Day!

Things are great in West MI. Skies are blue, temps maxed out around 90 this afternoon.

The whole family slept in this morning before we hit up the local diner for an awesome breakfast. Corned beef hash for myself, tater tot casserole for my better half, and a bunch of sweet abominations for the kids. The rest of the day was pretty chill. I got an awesome mixed sixer from my local bottle shop (Copper Vine) a new cooler, and some sweet coasters.

Today's beer was a special treat from OddSide. Big and a little boozy. Something I'd buy again.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22564/231237/?ba=GRPunk#review

[​IMG]

32. tasterschoice62

Society Trader

Point taken- I can certainly understand that. And all that makes complete sense when you try the beers. Certainly not following in the path of all others - which is the hardest thing to do now a days - and to also be successful. Of course I'm a newbie with their beers since ive only had two. But I'm now on a course to find more. Also I too back my friends in their endeavors- whether I agree 100% or not. I guess that's the most important thing so I can certainly understand what you are saying. Anyhow great Brew. And I'm sure a great friend. Cheers!

TongoRad, cavedave and PatrickCT like this.
  33. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (13,084) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Kona Big Wave, 4.4% ABV, 20 IBU, style American Blonde Ale. Pours hazy golden with medium thickness, one finger of foam that dissipates quickly leaving minimal lacing. Nose is malty fruity sweetness, taste follows. No bitterness, very drinkable. Overall a real decent and refreshing brew.

[​IMG]

34. richj1970

richj1970 Poo-Bah (2,210) Oct 26, 2012 Alabama
    Society Trader

Getting a late start tonight, but better late than never.

Today's new beer is BA Viking Funeral from Four Fathers and comes to me thanks to @egrace84.

The wax took me a good couple of minutes to get through. It sure gives the bottle a cool look, but is a big pain to open.

Appearance wise is what you would expect from an imperial stout, but I was surprised by the density of the head and the lasting retention.

Aromas and flavors are chocolate fudge, whiskey, and cherries with noticeable barrel notes especially as it warmed.

Very nice stout and recommended if you get the chance to pick one up.

[​IMG]

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/34776/224530/?ba=richj1970#review

35. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,113) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Currently finishing Central Waters Brewhouse Coffee Stout...
    [​IMG]
    Featuring coffee from Emy J's Coffeehouse

Started it last night...
    [​IMG]
    Corked it with a Rabbit bottle stopper overnight... :sunglasses:

I found it a rather familiar take on the coffee stout - nothing about it struck me as particularly spectacular; that said, it delivered exactly what I wanted - and well-executed - ample coffee flavors nestled in a darkly roasty, chocolaty malt base. Smooth and easy drinking. I had hoped it would feel a little fuller on the body. Absolutely worth a buy, especially if you're into coffee beers.

Some stiff competition in the coffee aisle lately, too...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Earlier, had some pizza with red & green peppers and red & white onions, along with this, from Flying Dog...
    [​IMG]
    The Truth, a smashingly good IIPA - lean but solid, lots of juicy citrus edged with dank pine; cleanly delivered flavors. Smooth carbonation and a brief shellac cross the palate. 8.7% abv but drinks like a 7.8 :wink: Enjoy by 11.05.16. I'd buy a sixer...

Also of note, as we approach episode 9 of Game of Thrones, is the Chipotle Smoked Porter from Pipeworks.
    [​IMG]
    Started last night as well, I really dug it. The pepper's sting was immediate and continuous, wrapped in a chocolaty sweetness that rounded off the edges. More heat than sweet, there is a nice smoky chili sting waiting in these darkly roasted malts. Feels a little heavier than it looks on the pour - has a smooth, medium-plus body. 7.75% abv.

I'm gonna be finishing it with the episode... :sunglasses:
    [​IMG]
    Here's to new beer in your glass - and cheers to all you fathers out there... :wink:\m/

#115 Greywulfken, Jun 20, 2016
  36. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

I love a breakfast burrito, especially New Mexican style, smothered in red and green chile, but the best hangover cures are sancocho (Dominican soup with chicken, oxtail, yuca, sweet potato), posole or, my far and away favorite, chilaquiles.

woemad, BBThunderbolt and TongoRad like this.
  37. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,349) Mar 22, 2015 Arizona
    Society

good looking beer sir!

VABA likes this.
  38. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (1,888) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Oh my. Im a sucker for honey in beer then theres some tart apricot. Was expecting a tripel but its a blonde?. Good beer. Good job ballast point. Watch that abv folks. 12%

#118 Urk1127, Jun 20, 2016
  39. Prager62

Prager62 Poo-Bah (2,265) May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

I'm back for another after spending some time entertaining a neighbor, then heading over to my bro's for a quick taste. Beautiful summer weather around here is priceless, so we celebrate appropriately! Let's get back on track with a pint can of Swami's IPA by Pizza Port Brewing Co. dated 05/10/16 and an abv. of 6.8% bestowed upon me by @2beerdogs when we met at Greenbush on Wednesday.

It pours a transparent deep gold color leaving a generous finger of frothy white foam that refuses to settle. The smell is very floral in nature along with some grapefruit and spice. Flavor is once again dominated by floral notes followed by grapefruit and a rye/pepper spice in the finish. The feel starts on the malty side followed by a bitter hop bite.

[​IMG]

This IPA leans more towards the floral and hoppy side with a pleasant malt backbone. I could load my kayak with this beer and paddle all day. It's more old school as opposed to the tropical hazy juice bombs that dominate today's IPA's. I enjoyed it and scored it a 3.96 / rDev -3.2%. Thanks Derek for the beer and the priceless time at Greenbush! My only regret is that the time was too short.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have a great week, here's the official scorecard.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1337/5614/?ba=Prager62#review

40. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,533) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

My second beer for today. Une Annee Enkel. This is really refreshing for this hot, humid day.
    [​IMG]

woemad, LeperJim, gopens44 and 11 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.