New Beer Sunday (week 591)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by utopiajane, Jun 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ichorNet

ichorNet Poo-Bah (1,896) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society

Since I love NBS so much, I have one more beer to post about today... I know I claimed to only have one new beer, and that was true... to an extent. But new batches with new art count, to some extent... right?! Of course!

I've loved Baxter since I first had stuff like Stowaway, Hayride and Celsius (now called Summer Swelter), so of course I keep up to date with their ever-changing and ever-improving DIPA, Bootleg Fireworks. Got the last four pack available earlier today at Craft Beer Cellar in Nashua, NH. The colors and design in general bring to mind a canister of fireworks that might be launched at a July 4th party. Gotta give them points for that, along with the obvious tie-in to the classic video that you should all know about by now... hint for those who don't: search this beer's name on Youtube!

[​IMG]

A light yellow-ish/copper liquid pours into my glass, building an impenetrable finger-tall head of white foam that leaves passable lace behind. Nose is dank and green, with intense notes of fresh-cut grass, pine, grapefruit, passionfruit, guava and pineapple with slight coconut here and there. Damn, this is aromatic. My brain is pretty good with beer but not good enough to mentally compare this with the second Bootleg Fireworks batch from November last year. I remember that the hop bill for that batch of BF was absolutely crazy however (featured Mosaic, Summer, Ella, Galaxy, Mosaic and Sorachi from what I remember... a few others as well) but the brewery's Facebook says they used 14 hops in this batch. That seems a tad ridiculous, but whatever. Point is, this smells really goddamn good. I can detect a decent amount of ethanol, but it's not too overly-noticeable to be honest.

Flavor is very hop-biased, as expected, though there's a decent caramel and biscuity malt backbone here. I get some tropical fruit notes with a bit of ethanol and pine resin with that maltiness. Seems like they're dialing this one in quite well, as I remember it being pretty over-the-top from my recollections of the first batch, which was brewed/canned a year and a half ago. Picking up some mango and guava with some subtle lemon/lemongrass, herbal and floral undertones. Sorachi Ace definitely still features in this one, alongside plenty of AU/NZ and West Coast hops. Drinking this feels, to me, kind of like re-acquainting myself with an old friend who's gone abroad and learned some new stuff: I get the original malt bill with some new tricks from the hops, notably the more understated elements of elderflower, rosewater and pineapple flower. Not sure what the hell doubling the hop varieties did here, but this is certainly a step ahead of the last two iterations of BF.

Feel is full-bodied, mouth-coating and... well... this is insanely hoppy. What else can I say? If what you want is an East Coast DIPA with a focus on intense tropical and piney hops that nevertheless doesn't put itself in the "New England IPA" camp, Bootleg is your beer. I can't wait for future iterations of this. It's an absolute must-buy every time I see it at this point. I know some people see them as amateur-ish for some reason, but I hold a special place in my beer-loving heart for Baxter, and this definitely deserves a spot somewhere in there. Excellent stuff with a super-unique aesthetic.

As I wait for their new CD to come in the mail, I'm listening to the 2013 album by the indomitable yet polarizing Volbeat. I've loved these guys for a while and, though they're getting popular, I still find myself excited for new material. One of the very best live bands I've seen, in any genre, and one of the best bands to throw in the car CD player and just drive while listening... Johnny Cash-worshiping, heavy (fucking) metal w/ hard rock influences from Denmark:

2. mickyge

mickyge Meyvn (1,380) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society

Best beer, stout or otherwise I've had this year. So balanced and so many flavors hit the palate. Rich, creamy, smooth and unbelievable finish. Think of the best chocolate you ever had and throw on some vanilla, coffee and cinnamon,thats the dish as Chef Mario says.

VABA and cjgiant like this.
  3. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

New Beer Sunday: A Czech style Pilsener (sort of)

Evenin' NBSers,

Well the weather here today was perfect for my purposes. The sun was out all day and the temperature hung around 90 for most of the day. However, the humidity was down fairly low, so it was too warm and sunny to do much yard work (At least my wife was willing to accept that for a reason. :slight_smile:) and the other chores that needed doing were easily completed well before we left here for a family gathering that included lots of kids, a few fathers and a nice home made angel food cake to share.

Looking throgh this thread, I find, as usual, a mouthwatering start by our hostess @utopiajane (with that breakfast looking even more tasty than the beer :slight_smile:). Also, as usual with this thread I've found some interesting ideas for beers to look at adding to the shopping list. BTW, @smakawhat here's hoping that both of you are soon back in tip top shape.

This evening's new beer is the Weyerbacher Line St. Pilsener, which is offered as a Czech style Pils. It is one that the traditionalists will probably hate, but that I am really enjoying. It's not traditional in that the hops used are American rather than mostly or all Saaz. For me that seems to make a lot of difference. For some reason I'm not a big fan of the Czech style Pilsener and I've long suspected it is the use of mostly Saaz hops. It was also surprising to find Weyerbacher releasing this beer since they are best known for their high ABV big beers (e.g., Insanity, Double Simcoe IPA, etc.)

My review, as usual subject to revision until the beer is finished, can be found here:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/392/215122/?ba=drtth#review

Basically I thought this a well made beer that showcases the hop flavors without using the bitterness to rip out the tongue (the malt backbone protects well). Other flavors are there, spicy, floral, earthy, herbal, sweetness from the malt, but the bitterness is mostly always noticeable throughout, but without upstaging the other flavors. While I'm not going to rush right out and buy more, I'll be pleased to have it again as a change from my regular rotation.

No music on the player tonight.

Cheers, all!

#123 drtth, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  4. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,520) May 5, 2010 Ohio
    Society Trader

Good evening NBS, hope everyone is enjoying the end of the weekend once again. Thanks to @utopiajane for getting us started off this week. Just another work week ahead of me, glad to have solved a work problem on Friday afternoon so there will definitely be far less stress this week. Just have to go grab a few vehicles tomorrow morning and take them to the lab. I had finally gotten my mountain bike back on Friday, but I got into a head on collision with another rider yesterday on a blind corner of the trail(heavy bushes and trees). It needs a new wheel, so hopefully have it back by next weekend.

New beers today:

Really damn good. No head, but does have carbonation. Aromas and flavors of sweet/tart cherries, strawberry, apple, lemon, cherry skin, almond, oak, vanilla, leather, hay, and light funk. Light-medium fruity/acidic tartness and mild tannic oak spice on the finish. Medium-plus bodied, with balanced acidity and grainy wheat creaminess in the mouthfeel. Light-medium carb with zero acidic astringency. Lightly drying from acidity, but has a fairly long finish overall. The sour and sweet are both exceptionally well balanced, and this is crazy easy to drink. Was hoping for a bit more depth to the flavor profile, but I was still quite impressed. 4
    [​IMG]

This was delicious. Aromas and flavors of big juicy tangerine, grapefruit, pineapple, peach, apricot, passion fruit, papaya, melon, berry, lemon/orange peel, and light pepper/pine; with honey/toasted bread malt; and herbal/floral/grassy hop earthiness. Light-medium pine/citrus peel/spicy bitterness; medium-plus bodied with balanced hop stickiness and grainy creaminess in the mouthfeel. Light-moderate increasing bitter dryness; zero hop or fruit peel astringency. Very drinkable with minimal ABV warmth. Feels a bit refreshing as well. Mosaic hops always satisfy my thirst. Zero complaints. 4
    [​IMG]

Very good spiced pale wheat ale. This was super carbed on pouring, but not infected. Head retention and lacing lasts forever. Aromas and flavors of lemon, citrus peel, saffron, and ginger; with balanced honey, wheat, biscuit malt; with herbal/grassy spice and yeast earthiness. Light-medium herbal/spice bitterness; medium bodied with nice grainy wheat creaminess and light spice stickiness in the mouthfeel. Light-medium dryness from medium-high carbonation. Very refreshing and well balanced between spice and bready malt flavors. Not too bitter or sweet. 3.81
    [​IMG]

Cheers, have a good night NBS.

5. egrace84

egrace84 Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2012 Illinois

Cheers buddy! Four Fathers make some great beer, and they're great people also.

richj1970 likes this.
  6. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

One more beer today, out of NorCal...Bourbonator from Sudwerk Brewing. First time with this brewery too.

[​IMG]

3.58/5 rDev -13.5%
    look: 5 | smell: 2 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a seidel.

A- Dark brown almost black body, but when held to light, it shows caramel and amber hues. The head is plentiful and sudsy, oatmeal in color. Lace streaks about the mug. 5

S- Kind of frustrated with the aroma. I’m getting nothing. Is it the seidel? The beer? What I am smelling smells like tart coconut. Maybe some brown bread. 2

T- Flavor also shows some tartness, but here it’s like a tart cherry and not disagreeable. There’s some chocolate and vanilla that blend with the cherry to form a cordial-like flavor. Oakiness and caramel layer atop these flavors. I’m reminded a bit of Dr. Pepper with this flavor. I like it, but also feel the tartness is an accident and the barrels don’t show a lot of influence. 4

M- Again, the tartness distracts a bit, but beyond it is a pleasant full-bodied, rich body, moderate sweetness, some solvent and astringent feel from the alcohol. 4

This is a nice brew, but it has some flaws. First Sudwerk beer and I like the bourbon barrel doppelbock concept. I’d like to try more beers like this.

7. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

I feel the going price for this beer is $40 so I always pass. You found it any cheaper?

8. zid

zid Meyvn (1,263) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

I didn't get a chance to read the thread yet, but happy Father's Day to everyone.
    For Father's Day, it made sense to go with a beer that is described in sexist terms like Foster's: a self proclaimed "man-sized beer." I've had the bigger selling lager, but surprisingly, I've never had the "Premium Ale."

[​IMG]

For those that aren't familiar with the "oil can," it holds 750ml of beer.

This is a premium bitter from Texas. It would take lots of space here to detail who brews this beer in the various parts of the world, who drinks this beer in various parts of the world, and who's sued SABMiller over marketing.

It's a beautiful copper color. Carbonation is at that perfectly annoying level - the head disappears quickly, the beer looks still, but the carbonation still causes a terrible prickliness in the mouth and many burps.

I'm not getting that pronounced fruity English yeast character here and that's perfectly fine. The malt quality is oddly absent. The hops give it a distinctive bitterness. There's something here that I can only describe as skunky. I'm opening a Pandora's box here. I'm not saying this beer is skunky the way that many claim that any macro beer that they dislike is skunky. I'm saying that there's a taste here that really reminds me of when I've intentionally "skunked" beers. This beer is obviously coming from a can. I'm not going to claim that this beer is skunked, but it sure reminds me of one that was. What's funny, is that the Foster's website claims that their "secret" yeast (I'm assuming their lager yeast) doesn't produce sulfur "which means that Foster's taste is never skunky and always Australian." You can't make this stuff up, oh wait, yes you can. :confused:

My review sounds very negative but it isn't meant to be. I think it's better than the 68 score here suggests. If it was from a different brewer, I think the score would be higher. If you are looking for a 750ml canned English bitter in the US for 2 and a half bucks, you can do no worse than this. That's partially a joke, but there's some truth in the jest and it's ultimately an attempt to give the beer some credit.

Could you imagine a Belgian beer being sold in a 750ml can like this... something like Saison Dupont? I have no idea if bottle conditioning makes this impossible. The can actually lists calories, fat, etc. per serving. They've worked it out that the 25.4oz can contains two 12oz servings... and the calories are obviously listed as per serving. Um, OK.

Cheers Dads.

#128 zid, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  9. Cloaked_Phantom

Cloaked_Phantom Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2013 Washington

[​IMG]
    So delicious! Great Sunday evening beer!

10. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,749) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Off work, dinner has been eaten, and now I'm killing a grunt of Speedway Stout:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/396/3833/?ba=woemad#review

Surprisingly coffeeish for the standard SS. I think there's an actual coffee version of it, but it seems almost redundant considering what this tastes like. My first AleSmith beer but not the last if I can help it.

Have a great week!

11. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,656) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

I know you like glassware, so I figured it might me nice to get a couple of matching ones. Those Unsung stickers are from a new brewery here in Orange County. Just got to try some of their stuff at OC Brewer's Guild event the Saturday before we met up at Greenbush. Really liked hanging with you, and I concur-way too short of a time. But very happy to have had it.

Cheers.

Prager62 likes this.
  12. 2beerdogs

Society Trader

I just had this one on Thursday. I found it very much like your description. Not a homerun, but a good offering.

13. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,749) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

T
    Tried a sample of that yesterday. I think I'll be picking up a crowler to take to my brother's place next weekend.

Prager62 likes this.
  14. 2beerdogs

Society Trader

Well Hello Late Night NBS.

Happy Father's Day to All. I just had a great week of cruising around Chicago, northern Indiana, and southern Michigan with my Pops, brother, and uncle (Pop's little brother). Pops is originally from Indiana. It was great. Plenty of shits and giggles, some serious Amish food consumption, and of course beer. I love my dad dearly, and it was nice to plan this trip with a surprise. I talked my brother into flying in as well. He lives in New Mexico now and dad & I don't get to see much of him. I even got to meet up for lunch with our very own @Prager62 at Greenbush. He unloaded on me, sending me home with more beer than I brought.:flushed::grinning: Seriously cool dude. Thanks for driving up to meet us on a work day Jim.

Many a beer was drank while reminiscing on tales we'd lived, as well as those about forefathers who preceded us. All in the glorious green rolling hills and farmland of Michiana.
    Even got to Constantine Brewing, in Constantine, MI. Nothing stood out as great, but food looked and smelled awesome, and the service was very friendly and helpful.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/44335/

Also went to Wedgewood Brewing in Middlebury, IN. I had to enter it into the database because they just got up and running a few months back. Nice, tiny place.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/46075/
    Beer highlights include:

Greenbush’s Barrel Aged Doomslayer (which I had the pleasure of entering in the data base)
    3.79/5 rDev n/a
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep dark brown. Less than a finger of mocha colored foam. Looks like a vigorously poured coffee. Smell brings a melding of smooth whiskey, caramel, wood,and molasses. Taste is caramel and whiskey, with hints of maple syrup. Mouthfeel is nice and full. Overall a really solid offering.

Another from Greenbush:
    Rage an American Black Ale (Big black ale)
    One of the standout beers, recommended by local Greenbush expert @Prager 62. This is one BIG, BAD mofo. But I will say, I highly recommend it. It begins with a dark brown mystery capped with a tan, loosely packed head. Smell is roasty meets sweet coupled with some piney hops. Taste is maple meets molasses in sweetness. Roast comes through, but “heat” is definitely part of this profile. The piney hop comes through as well. Mouthfeel is somewhat chewy, and the alcohol closes with some warmth. Overall, a very good beer. I really liked it, but wonder if the alcohol heat could be dialed back just a tad to allow for more of the other qualities to shine through.

Now I'm home with my kids. Life is good.:sunglasses: And since I grilled in 105 heat, I had a new beer: Wolf Mother Triple IPA from Golden Road. Quite good. Citrusy punch coupled with a solid malt backbone. Pops liked it, and that was good enough for me.

15. neenerzig

neenerzig Poo-Bah (2,692) Feb 15, 2006 Ohio
    Society

16. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Looks like Monday is here again. I wish it wouldn't sneak up on us that way . =) Thank you everyone for sharing your reviews and photos and a little bit of your lives with all of us today. You are the reason NBS is fresh informative and fun. If you are still wrestling the heat like we are take it easy and carry water . Have a great week everyone. Cheers!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.