New Beer Sunday (week 606)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cavedave, Oct 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,430) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Have to second this. Love their hazy hoppy stuff, but they have brewed amazing saisons and great lagers. Very few beers I haven't enjoyed from them.

2. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,349) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Good afternoon all. I fear I jumped ahead in the NB lineup by reaching for this DIPA first, but who cares, it smells terrific - Bale Breaker Bottom Cutter from @woemad . I've had Too Cutter, so i believe this completes my "cutter" journey?

[​IMG]

As one can see, this is a mighty fine looker with a creamy creme head which leaves behind plenty of lacing on top of the mostly clear, orange beer.

As mentioned, great aroma. Sharp, pointy grapefruit that gets smoother around the edges thanks to sweet maltitudity.

Pretty thick body brings with it a slightly astringent initial bitter grapefruit attack that only slightly sweetens but stays true to the high ABV with a "put on your big boy pants" level of no nonsense, professional grade dryness.

Straight up old school mouth punishing DIPA. Not a sweet "could be a barley wine with age" specimen at all. Just a put up or shut up beer. Very nice.

3. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,486) Mar 7, 2013 Canada (QC)
    Society Trader

It's that time of the week again. I hope that everyone is having a nice weekend. This past week I have been working on some trading. I put the finishing touches on a couple boxes and got some beermail as well. It definitely adds a nice tinge of excitement to an otherwise normal week, and gives me things to try that I never thought I'd get to. I can definitely see how addictive it could be...

[​IMG]

Since the weather here skipped a whole temperature range between summer and winter and just got windy (for here), I'm going to Finally try this Westvleteren XII that I got thanks to the generosity of an awesome Canadian BA. A pretty good way to drink to the generosity of BAs and enjoy the brisk weather and some football.

[​IMG]

It's a muddy mohagany in the glass with an enormous khaki head that is basically sturdy as a dollop of dirty-looking whipped cream (the pictures make it look WAY whiter than it is for some reason). It settles messily to a couple fingers, but it's a constant companion.

[​IMG]

The aroma is of musty old barnwood and cherries with a slightly tart twang that is barely perceptible. It is definitely the least incredible 'part' for me. The flavor, on the other hand, is just amazing! Wow!! Waves of smooth earthy, rich, brown bread and workbench dirt dripping in dark fruit character with a touch of bubblegum and caramelized sugar in the finish with a luscious, pillowy feel that is like drinking a cloud in a way that only Trappist beers can be.

[​IMG]

This is a very nice, very flavorful, very enjoyable beer. I am a big fan of Belgians and this is one that I've always wanted to get ahold of. I'm glad I did. I know that there is a lot of talk about which are “better” or “worse” but I don't really buy into that. For the price/headache of availability I am sure there are adequate alternatives. That said, this is absolutely a world-class beer.

A unified sensory experience that highlights the incredible nature of brewing, the very one which @cavedave so eloquently compared to alchemy.

To a delicious beer in your glass, everybody!

My review is here.

4. TheDoctor

Society Trader

I agree. Definitely my least favorite beer from them, and if I had to pin it on one reason that reason would be "flavors."

Shanex, Ozzylizard and smanson56 like this.
  5. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,977) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Maltitudity? What a great construct! Fantastic word!

6. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,004) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut

Thought I had no NBS this week, opened the beer fridge and apparently my son brought this home late last night.
    [​IMG]
    Now I'm not a malt head, but his is a pretty good seasonal. Clean caramel aroma, sweet charcoal taste (I mean that in a good way). Great fall-like color (its a little lighter than the picture represents).
    Actually hope my son doesn't want all five that are left.

aoampm, gopens44, dee4maine and 28 others like this.
  7. TheDoctor

Society Trader

Good for you, man. Stuff like that can be incredibly hard, but the fact that you're honest with yourself and others speaks volumes about you as a person and a father. Good luck, and enjoy yourself. There's a big, bad, beautiful world out there (and coffee's fucking amazing!)

Life's too short!:slight_smile:

VABA, jvgoor3786, Lingenbrau and 4 others like this.
  8. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,086) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Greetings friends,
    We're back from a great vacation atop Elk Ridge Mountain, overlooking Valle Crucis, N.C. and points way beyond. We had great thunderstorms followed by a beautiful blast of real live genuine Fall weather. Saturday AM the temp was 44. I never left the top of the mountain, except for a few hikes down and around the ridge.. My son and son in law were foraging around for all sorts of mushrooms and botanicals- with great success. We came back with some very fine "chicken of the woods" mushrooms. Dogs and people were in heaven!
    Last night we cracked a Logsdon Farmhouse Ales Seizoen Bretta (8%). My son's best friend in Portland sent this along for the vacation. My son's friend Ryan texted late last night that he and his wife had their first child earlier in the day! Welcome to the world Rory Stringfellow!
    This beauty pours a deep orange with twinkly gold highlights. The head is thick, white, beading furiously and short-lived. It smells yeasty Belgian, a touch funky with some strong citric notes at the edges. This is one of the most beautifully aromatic beers that I can remember. It is a fairly rich saison, tart, with a sorta lemony essence all wrapped up in a lovely malt-rich texture. The brett is not overdone and provides a tartness that balances very well with the malts. The beer is soft and inviting. Honestly one of the softest completely lush beers in my experience. Logsdon Farmhouse Ales Seizoen Bretta is a great beer that I heartily recommend to everyone. We were outside under the stars sipping this one amongst others, and I just did not take any pictures (of beer)....Except for these over a few days.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This was the view from the deck on a couple of mornings.

9. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,086) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Good for you. Do it. I wish you well. I know where you are and also know that the change is a damned good one. Good luck from a fellow warrior!

10. smanson56

smanson56 Crusader (794) Feb 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

Good afternoon to all the NBS followers. Thanks to @cavedave for the great send off. And to all the ones of involved in NBS MWK's it looking like it going to be a great Sunday next week.
    We spent the last 3 days camping in Northern Vermont. The weather wasn't great but no real rain just cloudy and overcast most of the weekend. It did allow for visits to many of the great breweries in the area and also some stops at the great farmers markets they have to offer. We enjoyed some great fresh food as always.
    this brings me to my new beer for this Sunday and it is Broken Spoke from The Alchemist.
    [​IMG]
    Poured from the can picked up at the brewery on 9/30/16 into my Teku glass. This beer poured a nice golden yellow color with just a very slight haze in the glass. A nice fluffy white head on the top.
    The nose is soft with some earthy biscuit overtones with some hay/straw also coming to the nose.
    The taste takes off with the single use of the Amarillo hops. Nice biscuit taste with great bitterness. Lots of flavor from the single hop.
    The mouthfeel is smooth and soft with the great carbonation.
    This is a great single hop APA not one of the huge hop bombs out there but pleasant to drink more than one at a sitting. I'd really like to see this become a regular on the menu at The Alchemist
    4.17/5 rDev -2.8%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25
    I'll have to use this a haul hint for my target, this will be included in your box that will ship tomorrow. I found a bunch of great new beers in my weekend travels. That area of Vermont never leaves me wanting for great new beers.

11. strohme2

strohme2 Meyvn (1,042) Nov 3, 2007 Michigan
    Trader

[​IMG]

What do you know?? The Lions lost. No big surprise here. Moving on...

The cooler weather & football beckons my next NBS beer--Fall Festivus Ale from Cricket Hill Brewing Co courtesy of @SammyJaxxxx

Chestnut brown with autumn highlights. Earthy and wood on the nose.
    Caramel, tobacco, sweet malt, pine and slight citrus hop profile. Medium mouthfeel.
    Listed as an IPA, feels more like an amber. Probably a decent raking leaves beer, which I am not looking forward to.

12. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,925) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Happy New American Imperial IPA Sunday!

Did a nice little hike today, around 67, cloudy. Having a very tasty brew, definitely worth checking out. Last day of the regular season for MLB. Playoffs just might kinda start tomorrow:slight_smile: The NHL has also started with pre-season games.:slight_smile:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/241991/?ba=Wasatch#review

Cheers!
    [​IMG]

13. sorandomok

sorandomok Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2016 California

Haha awesome angry looking cat photo bombing your first pic. cheers

Premo88, smanson56 and StoutElk_92 like this.
  14. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,619) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Hey what's going on?!!?

Very nice weekend to lay low and take it easy which I've been doing.

It has been nothing but a week full of rain and clouds, very Seattle like, but it had been horribly muggy even up until the last few weeks so I welcome it. Sun is popping out quite a bit today so that's a nice change.

Been running around to a lot of shows lately, I feel like I have been living at some venues now practically. Always great that they have beer there too.

Homebrew "might" be ready next weekend which makes me a bit anxious. In between that I've actually had a bit of a creative spurt which has led to some good artistic creativity.

In the meantime tasty beer is at the ready, as the box from California has produced some nice results, particularly from The Bruery. That being said, on to a new beer!

What's new for our hero today?!? Just like every other day of course right?!

Benevolence | Wicked Weed Brewing

[​IMG]Wicked Weed Brewing - Benevolence by imbibehour, on Flickr

----------

Poured from the bottle into a Wicked Weed globe glass. July 29th 2016. Batch #1199.

Mixing peach orange and lemon body color. A bit of glow but also slightly opaque as well. Very creamy forming head, but with little retention and solid white. Manages to land with a big collar though, and thin topped puck.

Very nice subtle aroma. Quite a mix in there. Creamy sensing caramel, a minor bit of funk, lots of floral like tones also. Mild sensing pepper, a bit of little sugary sweetness too. Not quite a lot of distinct flavors, but certainly interesting ones and fun examining.

Palate has a very light tartness and refreshing flavor. Mid palate hits slowly with a simple malt backbone and some mild sensing funk flavors. A sense of tangerine orange really seems to open up after awhile which is nice, particularly on the finish. Palate hints at a bit of creamy character but not quite. Mildy carbonated, and almost hop juiced up as well sensing.

Very unique tasting wild brew, but one that's hard to put my finger upon.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4 | BA Generated Score: 4.06

------------------

15. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (3,306) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

New Wacky IIPA Sunday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Deschutes Sagefight Imperial IPA

Clear amber color with gushingly-massive and long-lasting tan head that leaves thick webs of lacing.

Big aroma of sage and sweet malt with a cherry, black bread and caramel character. There may be juniper in there, too, as there is a gin-like tinge to it.

Lighter tasting than the nose suggests, but still sage-heavy up front through the aftertaste. The juniper and some of the malt profile is in there (put much less pronounced), mid-palate, and it's got a nice, mild lingering bitterness. Medium bodied.

Definitely a fun one to try, but probably not one I'll be getting a six pack or case of any time soon. Maybe if I was cooking a leg of lamb or something.

16. jhartley

jhartley Poo-Bah (2,833) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

Delicious looking meal, as always; great descriptive review, as always and that beer is pretty tasty too. It's on tap at Epcot Food & Wine right now. Had it last year wasn't blown away, myself, but I might have to give it another try this year at some point in time.

utopiajane, smanson56 and SABERG like this.
  17. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,349) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Next up, another @woemad contribution, Fremont Field to Ferment

[​IMG]

Great big foamy beige head settled into a nice layer of fizzbubble and sticky lacing. Beer is hazy and translucent orange.

Nose is earthy overall with hints of asparagus, peanut shell and maybe a hint of beet until a little pine sneaks in.

Taste is incredibly earthy as the peanut shell / raw peanut taste slips hand in hand with a little pine. Midway through I get faint green olive but upon exit there's a beautiful bitterness that ends in dryness. Lots going on here in this very flavorful IPA.

18. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Savant (982) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Trader

Happy Sunday NBS players. Spent most of the day watching the Jets get the shit kicked out of them. It's going to be a long season for them but at least they can move on from their current shit qb situation. Grey and overcast here on the island. The leaves are just starting to change here.

My new beer comes from the great @newjack and his nbs bif box #4 mokey's with knives. The beer is Todd the axe man, a double ipa, from Surly brew co. The brew comes in at 7.2% with an 8/23 canning date. I actually downed the first can during the jets shit show.

The pour is a pure and clean amber color. No clarity, and a low and fast white head.
    The nose is hoppy and sugars. Pretty subtle.
    A big hop burst, on the very first sip. A tangy flow into a surprisingly smooth finish. Big time fruit notes of mango, peach, grapefruit. So god damn hopped out and yet so damn smooth at the same time. Pure hop water.

Overall, just a great fucking beer. I thought the 99 ba rating was a bit overrated but now I think it might be very viable. I'm shy of a 5 but I'm in the 4.5+ plus region.
    [​IMG]

VABA, aoampm, mikeinportc and 36 others like this.
  19. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

Home from work and trying out a new oktoberfest.

[​IMG]

Oktoberfest Märzen Lager

Zero Gravity Craft Brewery / American Flatbread
    Märzen / Oktoberfest / 5.40% ABV

4.03/5 rDev n/a | Avg: 3.99
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

L-The beer pours dark gold and clear.The head is a modest 1 finger of off white foam.The head recedes to the thinnest of rings and no lacing is present.
    S- Nose is all malt, toasty with hints of sweetness.
    T-Well balanced malt and hops. Leans ever so slightly to sweet and finishes lightly dry.
    F-The mouthfeel is a bit light. Carbonation is on the lower side of medium. Feels like you could drink the whole sixpack without issue.
    O- Not the perfect Marzen by BJCP standards, but is almost perfect for my personal tastes. This is high on my list of favorite marzens this season.

20. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (11,588) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

New Gluten-Free Beer Sunday

Ahoy NBSers, I began my Sunday shortly after the clock struck 12 here at Chez Woody, but since our organizers were still visiting Dreamland, I decided to join them in repose & pick up where I had left off. On this note, the threat, I mean, idea of having me kick this weekly debacle, I mean, meeting of the minds had been postulated and I remain in standby/supernumerary status, awaiting the clarion call to action.

In the interim, I have been wanting to clear out my backlog of Gluten-Free (G-F) beers for a while & I decided that today was to be the day. I finished out last night with:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/296/139383/?ba=woodychandler#review

before taking my hiatus.

Upon rousing, The CANQuest (tm) took up in earnest! At this juncture, I would like to say just how heartening it is to see so many NBS beers appear in the form of CANs. I fought hard for CANceptance & it is a pleasure to see others following in my wake. The CANadians have a dedicated G-F brewery in Montreal and they are not only CANning, but they are distributing into the U.S.

I am not open to debating the veracity of celiac disease or its CANplaintents, but I CAN tell you that I have seasonal allergies as well as a pronounced one to the proprietary yeast in Budweiser. For me, drinking Budweiser is akin to putting Roto Rooter in your pipes - it cleans everything out in one quick hurry for me.

That is actually an unexpected benefit to today's foray. Four (4) pounder CANs later & I feel neither bloated nor exhausted.

I began with the worst, first:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26534/71605/?ba=woodychandler#review

then hit upon the best of the lot:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26534/82914/?ba=woodychandler#review

followed by:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26534/78523/?ba=woodychandler#review

and then I wrapped things up with:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26534/100697/

I know that we AmeriCANs like things ranked, so think of them this way: 1) La Rousse; 2) L'Americain; 2a) L'Americain IPA and a distant 3) La Blonde.

I still have two (2) G-F bombers in abeyance, but I am holding them in abeyance until (at least) next Sunday.

21. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,134) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

New Marzen Sunday

Good afternoon NBS'ers! It's been a fun and productive weekend at the house, and I'm glad to finally relax with a beer today. I've been on a local/regional Octoberfest kick, and have been comparing them to my first homebrew Marzen attempt. The keg is almost kicked which is good as I have a hefe patiently waiting for a home. Today's Marzen is from Green Man in Asheville:

Harvester - Harvest Ale, Green Man Brewing Co

[​IMG]

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A great-looking beer. A clear dark amber/copper color with a medium-sized light tan head. The nose was distinct with brown bread, toast, sweet malt, and a hint of spiciness, like cinnamon. The first sip did not disappoint; the flavors followed the nose. Less bready than many Marzens but not overly sweet. There was a clear but subtle spiciness from the hops I suppose, tasting like cinnamon bread to me. A very interesting, tasty beer. Cheers!

22. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,349) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Okay, what an interesting Ryder Cup Sunday, folks! A LOT of excitement early sttled into some good matches overall. As fun as the Reed/McIlroy was, the Phil/Sergio match was equally as fun, and maybe even better quality overall. Plus, the U.S. won - always nice to win on home soil.

During the match, we had this beer from friend who trekked through the brewery's state to Michigan to visit friends. This is Platform's Cherimoya Project:
    [​IMG]

Apparently a Cherimoya is a fruit that has poisonous seeds. I only hope that aaagghhh...

:grinning:

Ok - seriously, though. This beer is listed as an IPA on this site, but it probably defies categorization to a part, but I'd go with APA myself. I am guessing it has the influence of the featured fruit, and the Meyer Lemon makes an appearance. It has a little tea-like aspect to it, and there's an unsweet fleshy fruit flavor in there as well. I found it more enjoyable as I sipped it, but not sure I would want to do more than mix this in at a summer BBQ.

Onto this one, which is from the brewery our friends enjoyed the most from their trip. We have a couple from them, but this is the first we popped open:
    [​IMG]

Right Brain Brewing's Chubby Squirrel, a spiced amber:
    Pours a little brown without light, though in the pics you can see the coloring. That head is cut in half as I sip through it, but stays there. The nose definitely reveals an amber base to me, and since amber is not my favorite style, I'm not feeling positive. However, there is a spice note in there as well. Earthy to Christmasy in nature, it actually presents a weird mix with the amber for me. One I am not sure will work.

Turns out, the nose was trying to deceive me. While I am not jumping for joy over the flavor, I am content in that I will be able to enjoy most of this pour. The amber base is obvious. It's a weak tea with a weak bitterness that in and of itself makes an inoffensive but blah amber for me. The spice doesn't overpower this, which is to be commended, in my mind. In fact, it makes the overall beer an enjoyable experience how the spices are mixed with the base. I'm actually somewhat impressed.

This beer had almost no chance of drawing me to it as a beer I must have. But it did have a chance of making this experience an enjoyable one, and it did. In fact, I'd have it again.

23. Im4jojo

Im4jojo Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2016 Massachusetts

Well, I finished my pot of Joe a long time ago and I am just now sitting down to contribute to the New Beer Sunday Thread, Thanks to all for the suggestions last week on my congestion. Feeling much better this week!

My new beer is Imperial Biscotti Break brewed by Evil Twin Brewing. According to other Advocates, this is a near perfect American Imperial Stout. I tend to agree. I've tried other beers by this brewery and walked away in complete awe and bliss.

From the moment I popped the can to my last sip, the sweet smell of baked bread filled my nostrils. This Imperial Stout has legs; a nice retention. Poured into a snifter, the head foamed an off-white color. The brew is the color of fresh pressed coffee. The taste is roasty and only becomes more so as it warms. Flavor of vanilla and almond fill my mouth and it feels warm all the way to the pit of my stomach. The taste reminds me of amaretto, a flavor I used to enjoy often in my coffee. The feel is smooth. Definitely a good choice on a damp, raw New England day.

[​IMG]

24. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

As promised, here is the newest beer from Central Waters. Brewers Reserve Quadruple is mahogany in color with a thin 1 finger tan head that quickly fades and only leaves a trace of lacing on my glass. Aroma is very sweet with loads of toffee and caramel. Notes of vanilla an bourbon are accentuated by very little Belgian yeast and banana. Flavor is scrumptious, but not as Quad driven. Plenty of sweet toffee, caramel, with some softer vanilla and bourbon. No real banana or much dark fruit flavor that I enjoy in a Quad. Feel is lighter with minimal carbonation and a slight syrup finish. It is without a doubt delicious, but I'd score it higher if there was more Quad like flavor. I think they wanted to showcase the awesomeness of their barrels.

[​IMG]

25. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (2,033) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Society

I am so happy to see all the Oktoberfests, Festbier and Marzen on NBS. It is such a wonderful style when done well. That is why I decided to drink nothing but these beers for the entire month of Oktober. My favorite month of the year. The cool, crisp air, slight smell of compost, burning fireplaces, changing foliage, the rustle of leaves and Halloween. And once it has passed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years is on the horizon. I suppose I learned to love the change of seasons growing up in Central NY. (Even the snow.)
    All this brings me to my beer. Saranac was craft and local to me before it was cool. Any beer style I first tried, outside of AALs, was probably made by Saranac. I was pleased, of course, to come across what I hope is a killer sampler pack.
    [​IMG]
    I couldn't wait to get the Marzen Fest and Oktoberfest cold (Black Forest and Kellerbier will have to wait for November) and enjoy the Marzen Fest which is new.
    Off we go with the Saranac Marzen Fest.
    [​IMG]

Right away I was excited by the color and the head. This beer has a wonderful clear, mahogany body, with tinges of orange and amber as the light hits it. The head starts out a frothy beige and settled in to a dollop of creaminess. Nice light wafts of bread and honey in the aroma, backed by a medicinal and grassy hoppiness.
    The taste is bready, Malty with honey and French caramel. Hops are grassy and medicinal, which are present in the aroma. The light to medium carbonation allows this beer to maintain a wonderfully soft and creamy mouth feel up front with a slight graininess peeking out. Dry finish with a bit of spice helps round it out.

[​IMG]
    As a fan of Great Lakes and their German style lagers, I often wonder why I pass over Saranac as often as I do. I highly recommend any fan of this style to check this German Roots Pack out. I believe it is the only way to get the Black Forest as well. I was under the impression they stopped brewing it.
    Cheers, all!

26. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

@SammyJaxxxx also got to enjoy this one!

27. GRPunk

GRPunk Meyvn (1,229) Apr 5, 2007 Michigan

New Imperial Stout

It's been too long. A rough week at work, and a busy weekend, are wrapping up on an uptick.

Today's beer is a nice sipper. A chocolate and coffee variation of an old favorite. I may get into the raspberry version if I find the time tonight.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/335/196520/?ba=GRPunk#review

Sorry that photobucket isn't letting me edit this to face the right way.

[​IMG]

28. larryi86

Society Trader

Now up Other Half/The Veil Tropical Depression, tasty stuff, really fruity.
    4.35/5 rDev +2.1%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

16 oz can, dated 8/12/16, poured into a teku

A- A hazy/murky burnt orange with a two finger white head.

S- Tropical fruits, passion fruit, pineapple, mangos, hints of sweet malts, some citrus, resin.

T- Passion fruits, pineapple, very fruity, tart fruit juice, touch of sweet malts, pine/resin finish.

M- Smooth, light to medium body.

O- A tasty fruit IPA, very easy drinking. Fruit juice meets IPA in a good way!
    [​IMG]
    Cheers NBS!

29. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Meyvn (1,145) Nov 4, 2015 New York

This one is labeled a Pilsner, but I'm not 100% convinced that the folks at CKBR know what that is. : )

It just arrived, & I've never had any Brasilian beers, so figured it was my best chance. About the curiosity, not the ticking. 9 countries instead of 8? What's it matter? ; )
    This pic was maybe 7-8 seconds after pour, at most,so you can see where this is headed. :slight_smile: (& I'm not feeling so great, right now. :stuck_out_tongue: Might need another beer. : ) 0
    [​IMG]

The review :
    Pours a slghtly milky-opaque yellow-orange. Very short-lived,3/8" white head,despite an aggressive pour.A tiny bit of lacing ringing the edge of the glass..
    Aroma is almost not there. Has a very slight sour/boozy/yeasty aroma, reminiscent of the tail end of the aroma of a quad. This as a very recent arrival, so I assume it is fairly fresh, and it's not spoiled or old.

The taste is very slight , and mix of tangerine,pineapple, and rye bread, with a slight sour tang. Took half the bottle to get a enough taste to dissect it.
    Carbonation is fine-textured, and pleasantly prickly. There is a strange after-feel on the mid to back tongue, and roof of the mouth. Sort of sticky, and chalky, almost as if a piece of damp,rough cardboard has been rubbed around, and then left stuck to the back of the tongue. A rougher communion wafer? : ) Nothing overly offensive in the taste, just very little of it. That might be a good thing, and the "Taste" rating reflects that. :slight_smile:

Overall, probably OK on a hot summer day, when there are no other options. Drink it quickly though, because it only gets worse as it warms.
    2.12/5 rDev -16.5%
    look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

30. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon

I, for one, admire your honesty and courage. I'll admit, I think the same at times especially with a three year old and another on the way. Good luck fellow BA

bbtkd, VABA, jvgoor3786 and 3 others like this.
  31. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon

:grimacing:I would love to get my hands on that pack!

(P.S. NBS'ers, I'm not just creeping on this thread. I will be returning with my contribution a bit later:wink:)

smanson56, WesMantooth, VABA and 2 others like this.
  32. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (3,306) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Is there a batch number printed on the bottom of the can? They do four different versions this time of year:
    http://www.fremontbrewing.com/field-to-ferment/

smanson56 likes this.
  33. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,349) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Haha - I may speak for myself, but creep all you want. And others, as well. I think the goal is to promote new beers, and discussion about them, specifically the qualities of them. As long as the posts are focused on interest in the new beers being posted, I think all is good. See nc41 and JackHorzempa's conversation earlier. Completely acceptable, I think, but the keepers of the thread can chime in as well, if I am mis-speaking (@cavedave and @utopiajane)

34. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,977) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

New Flanders Red Sunday (week 606)
    Greetings fellow NBSers from on the ridge in Mid Hud Val, NY. Tough day at work but not as bad as lately other than having to work in a misty rain all morning. Chores done including making my last two zucchini breads for the season, now time for a treat, namely Alexander 2016, by Rodenbach. Have been looking forward to this one for a while. Due to technical difficulties of the camera variety I am using a stock picture.
    [​IMG]
    It pours a truly lovely shade of red, lightly cloudy with very fine yeast, and an eggshell colored finger of thick foam that only reluctantly kicks back to a thick cap

Smell is righteous jammy cherry and neutral sweet wtih rounded tart notes leading the way. Underneath there are light vinegar, floral notes, and a general fruity goodness, and slightest hint of oaky tannin. A very tempting aroma.

More barrel greets the palate, kind of oaky and light vanilla, but it is cherry jam and absolutely delectable tart notes that never bite and never build on which this baby hangs its hat. Along the way there are merest hints of herbal bitter that are almost not there, and add wonderfully. Leathery notes creep in as well. It is a sweet beer, but never gets too sweet, and the floral and lightest hints of vinegar give it nice complexity. Deeeeelicious.

Medium carb, med. bodied, nicely viscous, super clean on plate with a clean as a whistle finish.

A jammy cherry treat that is going down quite easily and enjoyably. Highly recommended for those who don't mind dropping some change for a serious treat.

Hope you also have a Great Beer in your glass. Cheers!

35. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

Another new to me Oktoberfest.

[​IMG]

Ok2berfest

Two Roads Brewing Company
    Märzen / Oktoberfest / 5.80% ABV

3.76/5 rDev +7.4% | Avg: 3.5
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

L-The beer pours a light amber with 2 fingers of fine off white bubbles. The head recedes to a thin ring with no lacing noted.
    S-There is almost nothing available in the nose. Malts are conspicuously absent. There is a hint of alchohol presence which is acceptable to the style.
    T- Again there is a dearth of malt influence here. What is there is to style in its toasty bread crust. Hops are present at a decent enough level to balance and add a bit of spiciness.
    F-The beer is medium mouthfeel with a prickly carbonation. The beer finishes nicely dry.
    O-The beer is well within style guidelines. I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of malt presence in the nose. Overall this an average marzen that I'd drink again but not seek out.

36. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,626) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Good afternoon, all, and Happy New Beer Sunday! Thanks once again to @cavedave for another poetic and contemplative opening to the day's festivities. My new beer for this week is Toppling Goliath's Sol Hunter, an American Pale Ale that comes in at 5.2% ABV and 70 IBU. From the brewer's notes:

"Gone are the days of experimentation and test-flights. As we voyage into the unknown, we rely on our skill and determination - guiding us safely to the promised land. Our goal is clear: pursue the sun and harvest the power extracted from an equinox. The task is large, but hopes are high as we travel once more among the stars."

That's it. I couldn't find anything about the malt / hop varieties used in this, and googling for a clone recipe didn't turn up anything. It's not as intense as some of the other TG APAs (e.g. PseudoSue), but it has its moments. Poured from 22-ounce bomber into a Spiegelau IPA glass. This ranks up there in appearance, with a hazy, dark-orange color and a voluminous snow-white head that leaves tons of sticky lacing on the glass. Aromas of pine resin and citrus rind smack you in the face. Notes of sweetness / light malt follow. Well balanced, with a lot of assertive bitterness and a crisp, dry finish. Overall very good and very drinkable, and an excellent pairing with spicy food. Part of TG's Hop Patrol series, Sol Hunter is limited release, bottles only. Is a bomber of this worth $7.99? I probably won't get another at that price. As always, YMMV.
    [​IMG]

4.18/5 (rDev -0.5%)
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

37. RJLarse

RJLarse Poo-Bah (1,889) Dec 30, 2005 Washington
    Society

Greetings All:

This one has been on my list for a while. I said I would try it during apple harvest, so here we are with Redd's Apple Ale.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/105/87280/

It's not terrible, and it may be an ale, but without hops I can't make it a beer. More of a sparkling cider. My wife liked it.

So a nice fall day here, sunny warm days and cool nights. I have a big box of apples from the back yard orchard here on the back porch, to go with my Redd's Sparkling Cider. Fall in full swing.

Until next time (when I will have a real beer)

Happy Trails!
    [​IMG]

38. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,972) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

Yeah, he's screaming for some outdoors time. Midnight loves being outside and makes sure everybody knows it. :grinning:

Midnight says thanks for the heads up on the next Throwback Thursday/Friday, @cjgiant. We're in!

39. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,391) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

NBS!!! NBS!!! NBS!!! After a couple of days of watching The Ryder Cup, I can only speak in chants. HERE'S A BEER!!! HERE'S A BEER!!! HERE'S A BEER!!!

[​IMG]

IT HAS HOPS!!! IT HAS HOPS!!! LOTS OF HOPS!!! LOTS OF HOPS!!! A BIT THIN!!! A BIT THIN!!! BUT STILL GOOD!!! BUT STILL GOOD!!! WORTH A TRY!!! WORTH A TRY!!! 4.1!!! 4.1!!!

40. larryi86

Society Trader

Working on finishing the last few cans from my NYC trip at the end of August. Enjoying a can of Other Half Simcoe.

4.27/5 rDev +1.7%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

16 oz can, dated 8/25/16, poured into a tell

A- A hazy golden copper with a two finger white head.

S- Tropical fruits and resin, pine trees, some citrus, hint of wet grass.

T- Citurs, grapefruit, touch of tropical fruits, resiny/piney finish, hints of sweet malts.

M- Smooth, medium body.

O- A great example of Simcoe hops, good stuff. Easy drinking, worth seeking out if your a Simcoe fan.
    [​IMG]
    Getting very excited for next weeks thread with Monkey's With Knives box starting to land, cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.