New Beer Sunday (Week 634)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lordofthewiens, Apr 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,593) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Just wait to find singles, 2 or 3 will be enough. It does age fairly well but doesn't just keep getting better like WWS. Fresh I enjoy and same with a year or two on it, but after two years the hops fade too much and it become super sweet (too sweet).

2. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,736) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Happy to be getting this to try, been wanting to for awhile, delivers nicely!

Lindley Park | Olde Hickory Brewery

[​IMG]
    Olde Hickory Brewery - Lindley Park
    by imbibehour, on Flickr

--------------------------------------------------------------

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass. Bottled August 3rd 2016.

Muted head creation, a little weak but manages a nice pencil thin collar, and faint whispy non oily top. Body color, your standard stout darkness. Not ultra dark, but a good simple opaque nearly black body gives its presence.

Very interesting aroma. Smokey hits and roast dark chocolate really open up. This brew is a little different than your typical barrel aged stout. Has that smoke salt like quality, and some tasty dark chocolate notes on the nose. Rich and full rounded but hints a little salty with not much barrel tones coming out. Still very enjoyable, and more importantly memorable.

Palate brings a real decent experience. Deep dark chocolate, with a bit of body than your average stout. Rich dark chocolate, particularly on the swallow and aftertaste that really lingers. Rich bodied, but also really simple flavors, almost a little one dimensional. Touches of molasses bring a little bit of twangy flavor, but some of that smoke seems to be lost as well.

This is a real decent barrel aged stout that I could come back to again and again anytime. Has a bit of one note hit, but dang it's a good one.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25 | BA Score: 4.22

-----------------------------------------------------

Cheers!

3. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,010) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

New BA Imperial Stout Sunday (Week 634)
    Sooo it's about 75 degrees, perfect for a barrel aged imperial stout is my thought. Hoping that change of pace can also happen in the Rangers game tonight. Heartbreaking loss in Montreal last game. Go Blue. This is from the generous @Buck89 , still opening beer from NBS BIF 5, and still more to open. Haven't sipped it yet letting it sit as I write this, gonna just give opinions as I get em and put it in the database later. Astronaut Status, from Wiseacre. Lets get a sniff or four.
    [​IMG]
    You can see from pic that it is a gorgeous beer, that thick lt. brown head is still happening 5 minutes after that was snapped.

Med. strength aroma, but what an aroma it is. Vanilla, whiskey, dark chocolate, cocoa, burnt caramel are all in this very soft and enticing aroma.

Wow full flavored, with vanilla creaminess and whiskey warmth at the helm of a ship sailing sweet seas of thick malt goodness. There are darker notes that shine through in varying flavors and intensities along the way, but the captain of this ship is Sir Caramelmalt Vanillaandwhiskey. Just when you swear this is too sweet you get hit by dark chocolate and burnt sugar, or expresso coffee and bitter herb. Nicely morphing it is, through a variety of interesting delicious side flavors.

Very viscous though it only has a medium body and is easy drinking to a fault, with a finish that is undoubtedly too sweet, but redeems itself with a panoply of interesting flavors that accompany the oversweet linger.

Quite enjoyable beer that is an amazing beverage taken on its own terms. And is kicking my ass too.

Hope you also have a Great American Beer in your glass. Cheers!

4. Prager62

Prager62 Poo-Bah (2,265) May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

I'm back with the last in today's trifecta of new beer. Next up is a bomber with no visible date or abv. that was released at Four Fathers in Valparaiso yesterday as part of their 3 year anniversary celebration. It's Lucy & Ethel DIPA brewed with brown sugar by the amazing ladies of Four Fathers Brewing. Judging from the faces on the label it appears to be the wives of the brewers/owners. Let's give it a pour in my Four Fathers hop bomb glass for the unveiling.

It pours a dark gold with a brownish hue leaving a baby finger of soapy white lingering foam. A moderate amount of lacing is left as it settles. The smell is mild floral/perfume, cotton candy and some banana. Taste in one word is SWEET! A hint of floral and mild citrus emerge after the diabetic palate assault. A tiny bit of banana and clove as well. The feel is thick and creamy with some bitterness in the finish.

[​IMG]

This is without a doubt the sweetest DIPA I've ever had. The brown sugar completely overwhelms most of the hop profile making it a pretty one dimensional sugary mess in my opinion. The look and feel were it's greatest attributes. While not a drain pour, it will be an easy one to pass on next time. I made the mistake of buying two.:slight_frown: I'll let it sit and open it down the road for science. As it stands my score is 2.95 / rDev-6.1%. I'm hoping the barrel aged Sloth Love Chunk I also purchased yesterday helps me to forget this!

Have a great evening and start to your week. I leave you with this as I settle in the cave for the remainder of the day.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/34776/217214/?ba=Prager62#review

5. Reef

Reef Savant (919) Dec 2, 2016 South Carolina
    Society

Folk wisdom says not to plant or drink all of your Last Snow before Easter.
    [​IMG]
    4.46/5 rDev +0.2% | Avg: 4.45
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5
    I don't mess with mother nature. This is my Last Snow. The strong coconut aroma carries over to its taste, really overshadowing the coffee. I usually prefer an unadorned Porter, but when I'm in the mood for coconut in one, this is hard to beat.

VABA, Ozzylizard, mmorris15 and 36 others like this.
  6. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,219) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Two years to age an IPA sounds like a looooong time, but it's a really high ABV as I recall. That ABV had me wondering how it would stack up over the years. It's one of the few I feel like I can wait to pick up in single format since the alcohol should protect the flavor profile better than others. I've already traded for WWS and Beer for Breakfast. At this point, I really just want to try the minute series and WWS Vanilla when it comes out.

Thanks for the advice and notes!

7. ichorNet

ichorNet Poo-Bah (1,956) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society

For what it's worth, 120 is my second favorite DFH "Minute" IPA, second only to 75 Minute which is a rare release (not consistent from what I understand) and it's supposed to hold up really well. I've only ever had it on tap, but it's an awesome experience. It actually feels hoppier and brighter to me than 90 ever has, but I guess mileage probably varies on that.

Fuck it, I have two more in me today. The weather is nice, I'm in a good mood and my next (and final) two are meant to be taken as a "battle of the beers" since their style and fruit addition are the same. I just so happen to have one 16 oz can of both this and the next entry in the fridge... who will win? Guess you'll have to tune in to find out... this is...

EPIC NEW BEER SUNDAY BATTLE OF THE PASSIONFRUIT-INFUSED GOSES!

In the red corner is Two Roads' Passionfruit Gose, from their Tanker Truck Sour Series. As the legend detailed on the back of this can goes, this was kettle-soured in the brewery's own tanker truck, which is actually a converted milk tanker! Featuring what the brewery calls "a nose of BIG tropical fruit," this gose is poised to dominate the competition... or is it?

[​IMG]

Pours a glorious opaque golden color with a thin yet retentive ring measure about a quarter-finger. This tenacious little guy sticks around for the entirety of my drinking experience; quite a feat for a lacto-soured beer such as this. Not bad looking, and I like that it appears more golden in the waning hour of sunlight we're quickly approaching, but overall it isn't too special. I don't expect goses to stand out in this realm, however.

The nose is very passionfruit and guava-forward with a somewhat plastic/rubber/latex-like element that becomes a turnoff very quickly. Yikes. I like the tropical and fruity element of this, but that latex glove-like note is really off-putting to me. Perhaps it has something to do with the passionfruit, though, because I feel that some ripe fruits can have that weird sulfurous/plastic-y smell to them, especially to discerning noses. Moving on...

Flavor is nicely sour, maybe even shockingly-so, with complex tropical fruit notes ranging from guava to mango with the requisite passionfruit sweetness reining things in. Super salty towards the finish with a lot of thirst-quenching minerality and a complex savory aspect, providing a unique foil to the bright, juicy fruit pervading the palate. Feel is heavier bodied than most modern goses, with hefty tartness, authentic fruit and a nice malted wheat base. Very tasty stuff. Pity about that weird nose. Hopefully the contender beer does not suffer such pitfalls! Only one can win in the EPIC NEW BEER SUNDAY BATTLE OF THE PASSIONFRUIT-INFUSED GOSES!

8. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,219) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Awesome stuff, dude. I really appreciate it. 120 Minute is at the top of my list since it seems to be the Dogfish Head IPA I hear about the most. Whether that is justified or not, I intend to find out for myself :slight_smile:

Thanks!

9. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,990) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

mmorris15, dee4maine, LeRose and 29 others like this.
  10. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

New Beer Sunday: New Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Evenin' NBSers with special regards to pursuers of Russian River beers.

Well we had a lot of warm sunny weather here today but it's cooling off a bit now, starting to get a bit cloudy and we may get a bit of rain.

This was a thoroughly busy day today. It was a day for a family get together. After a herd of kids finished their Easter egg hunt and started on some chores it was time for the adults to put together a nice "lupper" (late lunch and/or early supper) before everyone went heading off for home.

This evening's new beer is called Salvation and is a Belgian Strong Dark Ale from Russian River. (The Philadelphia area is quite fortunate in that it's the only place east of Denver where Russian River regularly gets distributed, but that's much too long a story to tell here.)

As usual my review, in progress until the beer is finished, can be found here:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/863/13742/?ba=drtth#review

The aromas and flavors of this beer are full of rich chocolate sweetness, raisiny dark fruit along with hints of spice and earthy bitterness. There’s a long dry ending with some of the flavors persisting in the back of the palate for a very long time in the dry ending. Looking forward to picking up another bottle.

Cheers, all!

Edit: I see a few other folks have been able to report on one of the -ation beers from Russian River.

#130 drtth, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    Ozzylizard, LeRose, BJB13 and 24 others like this.
  11. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,876) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Howdy, NBS, and Happy Easter to those who celebrate! I spent the weekend with family in the Catskills and am only just now getting home. Last night was a blast with poker and 8-ball well into the wee hours, sorta making up for the fact that today was a dry day due to the driving.

I did have a beer planned for this evening, but am just feeling too wiped out, unfortunately. But I will give you folks a heads-up on a tasty one that we did sample yesterday. Or was it technically Sunday? :wink: Let's go with that...
    [​IMG]
    (not my photo)
    Radiant Pig Save the Robots IPA
    The aroma was pretty fantastic, lots of tropical fruit (especially papaya) and tangerine. The palate isn't as lush or complex as the nose lets on, and finishes a touch too dry for my tastes, but it's easy to drink and goes down quick. Definitely worth a try if you're into these kind of IPAs.

12. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,528) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Hello New Beer Sunday.

I just got home a bit ago after taking my mom to lunch today. Damn, the food was amazing. I wish I could have had more, but after 2 plates, that didn't really have a lot on them, I was totally stuffed. After lunch we went back to her place and were looking through old pictures. I found a couple, that I took home with me of Thanksgiving 1974, where my grandpa was holding me. I had a big smile on my face. I guess I was a happy toddler, at least till my sister came along 4 months later, then it went all downhill.

So, home, and beer time.
    [​IMG]
    007 Spy-PA from Spilled Grain.

I added this to the system Friday, and decided to pop it open today. It's ok, but nothing special. I was hoping for more from it.

3.63/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This beer pours a lighter amber color, with a 1/2 finger, white, frothy head. There's a lot of carbonation bubbles rising in the glass.
    The nose is slighter than I expected. There is the standard citrus aroma from an IPA, but it really muted.
    The taste is, at first muted, but a second, or 2 later the hops kick in a bit. You get some pine, some citrus, but it isn't very strong, just like the nose suggests.
    The feel of this beer is a bit thicker than the the previous attributes would suggest. Its not a watery beer. There is some body to it.
    Overall, it's ok, but nothing to write home about.

599 characters

See you all for the next beer.

13. drtth

IIRC, "technically" it was Sunday in Australia... :wink:

Josholson666 and TongoRad like this.
  14. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,108) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Currently on my second, finishing pour of Perrin's No Rules Vietnamese porter, featuring turbinado sugar, cinnamon, and coconut; aged in bourbon barrels. 15% abv. Not sure what makes it "Vietnamese" other than the movie reference. Hoped it featured Vietnamese coffee, but I couldn't find any such indication on the label or their website...
    [​IMG]
    The label alludes to Walter Sobchak (John Goodman) from The Big Lebowski...

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules..."

"Am I the only one around here who gives a shit about the rules?"

Translucent brown on the pour, black in the glass. Produced a brief, slim dark foam head; left no lace down the glass. Aromas of molasses, vanilla, and maybe licorice. The flavors were similar - sweet, and with the addition of vague impressions of deep dark, spiced and booze-soaked fruit and something chocolaty. Feel was thin and flat, a little sticky on the finish. Despite having all the trappings of a big hit, this beer was not to my tastes... :grimacing:

Hope y'all had a happy holiday if it applies - here's to new beer in your glass: Cheers... :wink:

#134 Greywulfken, Apr 17, 2017
  15. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,110) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

Nice looking smoke ring
    Cleaning solvent is a pretty good description. I think this beer is exceptionally boozy this year.

16. ichorNet

Society

Here comes the other contender in the EPIC NEW BEER SUNDAY BATTLE OF THE PASSIONFRUIT-INFUSED GOSES! In the blue corner is newcomer Finback's "I Feel The Universe," a 5% brew of similar pedigree to its competition. Will this young'in beat out its opponent, or will it be left in the dust? Only one way to find out...!

[​IMG]

Pours a darker copper-orange color than the previous beer, with a thin, non-retentive head that sinks to utter nothingness in my glass. Even though it's a bit higher in SRM, however, there's a bit more translucence here as well. Maybe a bit more nuanced grain bill? Definitely doesn't seem as wheat-forward, or there would probably have been more head buildup and retention. Even though my pic here gives it the benefit of the doubt, I will say that there isn't even the faintest suggestion of a foamy collar atop this beer at this moment. Interesting, indeed...

What I'm mainly concerned about in the nose here is that latex-like/rubber/plastic note I noticed in the Two Roads Passionfruit Gose, so I'm obviously going to try to hone in on that... let's see here... yeah, it's kinda there. Nowhere near as prominent, though, but I do pick up a slight backing note that feels latex-esque. Perhaps something about passionfruit itself interacts with lacto weirdly to bring about this aspect? I can't think of any other reason why that would happen, honestly. It's too weird to not comment on, though, in my opinion. Other than that, this has a bit more coriander and spice, slightly muted in terms of tropical fruit backing notes but also a bit more juicy passionfruit essence to it somehow. This also comes across a bit more oceanic with some slight mineral-y funk that actually gives it some unique character. Hmm... interested to see where this goes from here.

Palate is tropical and passionfruit-forward, as expected, but with a spicier bite and a bit more malt heft than the competition, Two Roads, provided. Chewy, saline and round, yet interestingly crisp and complex. I get a bit less sourness and tart aspects here, but the trade-off includes more fruit flavor and a more convincing feel. It's a bit more well-rounded, I guess I should say. Palate is sliiiiightly lighter than its competition, but not enough that it would put it any better or worse off, comparatively-speaking. The spice and (what I assume to be) the slightly more complex malt bill really help this one get an edge. Also, it's decidedly less latex-biased in the nose than its red corner competitor. Though this one was a little bit more expensive, I reckon it's also a bit better. Less available, but you get what you pay for... in my opinion, Finback's "I Feel The Universe" is the winner of the EPIC NEW BEER SUNDAY BATTLE OF THE PASSIONFRUIT-INFUSED GOSES!

Thanks for following along with my inane beer ramblings and my desire to make things even nerdier by matching up similar beers in goofy face-offs! Y'all are the best! See you next time!

17. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,528) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Outside the Loop #1 Honey Rye.
    This beer is a collaboration with Foxhole Brewing in Wilmar.
    Not bad beer. Nice flavor. Nice body. Glad I got it.

[​IMG]
    4.01/5 rDev 0%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This beer was brewed in collaboration with Foxhole Brewing in Wilmar.

This beer pours a nice golden color with a 3 finger, frothy white head.
    The nose is somewhat sweet. It is a honey rye, and the sweetness is from the honey.
    The taste is got a nice sweetness to it. Not overpowering, but the right amount. There is a slight aftertaste that is from the rye.
    The beer has a nice body.
    Overall, a good choice, and I'm glad I got it.

436 characters

18. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,593) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Last new beer of the night is Toppling Goliath Tsunami, thank you @Ri0 for this!
    3.91/5 rDev +3.2%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Thank you Ri0 for this
    16 oz can, dated 1/30/17, poured into a pint glass

A- A clear copper with a two finger white head.

S- Mandarin oranges, some caramel malts, some citrus, floral.

T- Sweet bread, some oranges, citrus, floral hops that turn to some wet grass and onion in the finish.

M- Smooth, light body.

O- The finish is a little off putting to me, maybe I should have drank this sooner. Other than the finish I enjoy the rest of the beer.
    [​IMG]
    Still in a ska mood with the vinyl, cheers!
    [​IMG]

VABA, Ozzylizard, dee4maine and 28 others like this.
  19. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,530) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Howdie from McKinney, TX, NBS podnahs. I have a couple of beers to review tonight. First up, this new IPA from Bells that's only available in Texas.

[​IMG]

4.02/5 rDev +0.8%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I had to try this after I saw it was Bells' introductory beer into the Texas market. It's a beautiful copper color, slightly hazy, light tan head. The aromas are slightly astringent citrus and tropical fruits.

The taste is very dry and astringent, with the citrus flavors providing some body. Glad to try this and VERY glad Bells is now in Texas.

20. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,424) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Probably no surprise to some who have seen my antics over on WBAYDN, I applaud your fun at doing a little Throwdown Passionfruit Gose. I enjoyed reading about it, too.

21. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (3,413) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Aww, come on! Tell us! Puh-lease!!!!! (I'm honestly curious.) :slight_smile:

Josholson666 likes this.
  22. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,530) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

#2, I love the "big brother" to this beer, so I'm looking forward to dancing with this iteration.

[​IMG]

4.17/5 rDev +0.7%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is the definition of "coffee forward," IMHO. The color is the same as big brother (a beer I absolutely love). The cacao nibs are very present on the nose, along with the coffee.

The coffee, though, moves to center stage on the taste - HUGE coffee flavors, with just a smidge of cacao.

I like big brother a lot better, but this is still a very worthy beer.

23. ichorNet

Society

Glad you liked it, sir! Good to be recognized by one of the hosts of this endeavor. Cheers!

Not familiar with your WBAYDN posts, but I don't stop in there too much (every now and then I toss something up, but nowhere near as consistently as I stop in here... this is a veritable part of my week!). Done any recently that you could throw my way?

Josholson666, Blackop555 and cjgiant like this.
  24. akolb

akolb Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2015 Colorado
    Deactivated

New Beer # 392. After being underwhelmed by NB's past hoppy brews, I found Voodoo Ranger IPA and Pale Ale to be surprisingly great. Let's see if New Belgium can continue this hoppy renaissance with their new imperial IPA: a 9% ABV beer purchased for only $9/6-pack.

Don't like the artwork, but that's just me. Pours a medium amber with a 2" head. Aroma is dank, piney, floral. Much more "modern" smelling than their old IPAs. Taste combines sweet bready malts, very prickly grapefruit and pine flavors, peppery spice, noticeable booze, and a powerful bitter finish. Sticky and rich very hoppy. A big, warming DIPA that crushes expectations at an absolute bargain price. This won't be my last 6 pack of Voodoo Ranger![​IMG]

25. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,190) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Better late than never!
    NBS Sunday evening Sunday Morning Stout
    [​IMG]

Happy to finally taste this one, bottled 12/2016. Prominent whiskey but it remained in balance with the chocolate and coffee notes. Really enjoyable and not overly boozy for the ABV. Comparing this to 2017 KBS, the whiskey in the SMS was more prominent in the nose and in the taste, and the KBS showed more coffee notes. My preference was KBS but these are both world class. Cheers to making good decisions on a work night!
    [​IMG]

26. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,424) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Haha - my opinion's no more or less valid than anyone else's, host or not. I do happen to like side-by-sides, though, and if it's fun for you, do it. And if they're new, this is as good a place as any.

My posts aren't usually as in depth on that other thread, but here's two fairly recent posts I did, since you asked:
    Old Pro vs Westbrook Gose
    And
    Black Butte vs Founders Porter

ichorNet, Josholson666 and Blackop555 like this.
  27. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,806) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

@larryi86 @ichorNet

I'll chime in.

120 is a polarizing beer. I happen to really like it ... but I first went into it without bias. Don't expect it to be an IPA. Fresh, it's hoppy as hell, but it still doesn't drink like an IPA. Really, it's much closer to wine, in terms of ABV, feel, and heat. Drink it like one: take plenty of time to savor it, sip by sip.

Aged, about one year - two at the most - and the massive bitterness becomes chained, but it's still a potently sweet and powerful boozy brew.

I think it's an amazing beer, really - but you can't approach it thinking it's just a high ABV IPA (IIIIIPA?). It really isn't; it's its own thing.

WWS, on the other hand, is still an imperial stout at the end of the day - and a damn impressively smooth one for the ABV.

LeRose, BJB13, Harrison8 and 10 others like this.
  28. Blackop555

Blackop555 Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2016 Michigan

[​IMG]jpg images

Thank you @lateralusbeer

4.02/5 rDev -1.2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours copper. Thick, short, off white head that lasts a little and fades to a lasting ring.

Smells roast and bready malt, light floral and earthy.

Tastes bready and light Caramel malt, light earthiness and bitterness. Finish is dry with a light bitterness and hints of fruit. Medium body and smooth medium carbonation.

This beer tastes great, but i don't enjoy the smell

On a side note it's a new glass for me. A little odd looking but it's definitely quality. A little thicker then i thought. I scored it for a great price

29. drtth

Basically it has a lot to do with Monk's Cafe in Philly where they often have PtE on tap and every year always do a "donate profits to charity event" with their allotment of PtY. Turns out Tom Peters, who owns Monk's, has a good friend at RR named Vinnie Cilurzo. :wink:

It's also the case that a few other places in the general Philly area occasionally get PtE and Blind Pig, and a few of those bars even get some PtY every year. (None of those IPAs show up in bottles.)

Periodically bottles of some of the -ation beers can also be found. Apparently the distributor who handles the beers has agreed to honor the request of RR for how their beers should be handled and cared for, etc.

#149 drtth, Apr 17, 2017
  30. zid

zid Meyvn (1,278) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

I can't express how much your stories and reflections will be missed.

LeRose, Squire, Josholson666 and 3 others like this.
  31. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (2,003) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

Another great open from @lordofthewiens and I can't keep track of all I've seen just taking a peek in here ... just a peek!

Last week, you, the good NBSer, offered some response to my mention of Founders imperial stout and porter. @Roguer offered to send me some FIS and @cavedave I believe *is* sending me some with age on it. And a couple three others basically said "get to the gettin' place and get you some NOW!", especially in reference to FIS. :grinning: The friendliness and spirit of NBS is amazing.

So I went hunting. Alas, my hunt at home in Bryan-College Station went fruitless. BUT I did talk to an H-E-B grocery man in charge of beer who brought in KBS, and he said "You want some? You got it." And he's not playing. FIS is coming to B-CS soon.

But I'm not waiting. I'm in Houston and will be for a few days, and there's FIS and Founder's porter to be had. So I hope to find some by Wednesday night (and will save whatever I find for my next NBS).

I said all of that to say this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Deschutes Obsidian Stout

Another classic I've been meaning to get to, and man, oh, man is late better than never! There's some chocolate, some coffee, some hoppy hop something (pine, grapefruit/peel, earthy bitterness) and as you get into the glass the oak-wood flavor begins dominating the aftertaste in a fantastic way ... I taste toasted-to-burnt wood, a bit bitter but not to the detriment of the other notes.

The review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/63/197/?ba=Premo88#review
    4.25 (+1% rDev)

Houston, Texas, means a lot to me, and high on the list is this guy:
    [​IMG]
    :slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile: Huevos the Dog :slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

Cheers!

32. zid

Trader

[​IMG]

Final Burial of the day - I Know For A Fact You Don't Party.

This imperial stout was a collaboration with Night Shift. There's a very nice red at the edges of this stout. At first, it hits you with big roast and char. There's dark bitter chocolate as well (not sweet). The body is surprisingly light. The character of this beer is off-putting at first. In time, there's a fantastic dark berry quality that surfaces once you get acclimated to the roast. Take a break and it hides once again. If this beer had a proper synergy between these elements it would be really fantastic. Unfortunately, it doesn't.

33. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (3,413) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Thanks. Should have guessed Monks had something to do with it. I've seen the -ation bottles and know some places get Pliny and Blind Pig on tap every once in a while, but hadn't realized we were the only place east of the Rockies. Cheers!

Premo88, Josholson666 and drtth like this.
  34. y2kawakami

y2kawakami Aspirant (210) Sep 11, 2015 Hawaii
    Trader

Thanks to @SammyJaxxxx for this treat. It was excellent!

[​IMG]

4.53/5 rDev +9.2%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: Pours a clear, dark tan with one finger of white head

S: Smells like a mix between coffee and sweet candy

T: Starts off sweet like a cream soda almost. Then, the coffee kicks in and gives a nice bold flavor. It is very smooth and you wouldn't know its a 12% beer

F: Light carbonation, goes down very easy

O: Fantastic beer. You wouldn't know by its appearance how complex the flavors are. I love the combination of sweet and coffee in this beer.

35. bret717

bret717 Champion (815) Dec 8, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

In what I think is a first for me, I'm returning with my second New Beer for NBS. This time I'm having Silently Spoken Magic Spells by SingleCut. Here's my review-

4.12/5 rDev -7.2%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

10 day old bottle poured vigorously into a Duvel tulip

Look- opaque rusty orange liquid with 1 finger off white head. Light lacing.

Aroma is outstanding and is the best part of this beer. Bright papaya, pineapple and peach with some bread and earthiness at the end

Taste follows the nose but is a bit subdued in comparison. Still solid though. Starts with tangy and sweet papaya and pineapple, followed by biscuity bread and an earthy quality that becomes more pronounced as the beer warms. Finishes with very light bitterness.

Feel- medium-bodied and pretty dry

Overall I enjoyed this one quite a bit, but probably won't try again considering the price for me ($8.99 for 500 mL bottle (probably on the steep side, but this is PA after all)). As mentioned, the aroma was outstanding, but the taste, while very good, didn't meet the high expectations that were then set.

[​IMG]

VABA, Ozzylizard, mmorris15 and 21 others like this.
  36. strohme2

strohme2 Meyvn (1,043) Nov 3, 2007 Michigan
    Trader

Happy LNBA-NBS Easter!
    The big family festivities lead me to this late start for a new beer. I wasn't sure if I had the room to put a beer tbh.
    A good friend came up for Easter from NC and he brought me a haul. Tonight's new beer is Lieutenant DANK from Wicked Weed.

[​IMG]

Canned 2/27/17. Deep golden orange with long lasting white fluffy head. Great amount of lacing too. Grapefruit, orange and pine on the nose. Citrus, white grapefruit, pine, slight amount of dankness. For a beer named Lt DANK, it needs to be more dank. Don't get me wrong, this is a solid IPA but not as expected. Nothing offensive about the mouthfeel, it's easy to drink.

dee4maine, Roguer, jkblr and 20 others like this.
  37. RJLarse

RJLarse Poo-Bah (1,910) Dec 30, 2005 Washington
    Society

38. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (3,946) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Society Trader

Well, you want sour?
    It's right here!

[​IMG]

Moderate to vigorous pour yields a 1/2 inch pinkish tan head over a very dark purple body. Nose of blueberry, slight strawberry, and brett funk. Taste of sour blueberry with a bit of tart apple. Nice feel and overall a definite must try for all sour beer fans.

4.41/5 rDev +1.1%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

39. Grizzarky

Grizzarky Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2014 Tennessee

[​IMG]
    A nice evening to sit on the deck, coupled with a day off tomorrow, makes this a BBA stout kind of night. Another incredible beer thanks to @LehighAce06 .

4.41/5 rDev +1.8%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours black and very flat, even with an aggressive pour, the little bit of head disappeared immediately. Nose is bourbon and dark chocolate. Taste is a perfect balance of dark chocolate, molasses, light coffee, and of coarse bourbon. Feel is slick, and chewy. Overall an amazing example of the style, would love to compare this side by side with KBS.

VABA, Ozzylizard, Buck89 and 22 others like this.
  40. zid

Trader

Regarding my last sentence above, had a second can and was curious if I would feel differently about it. This time around, I was getting cheese. I'm not a fan of beers that remind me of cheese.

LeRose, TongoRad and Premo88 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.