New Beer Sunday (Week 643)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cjgiant, Jun 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (2,415) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Supporter Beer Trader

New beer #3, Aslin You Call That A Knife?, thanks @cjgiant!
    4.17/5 rDev -3.5%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thank you cjgiant for this
    16 oz can, dated 5/23/17, poured into a teku

A- A hazy orange copper with a two finger white head

S- Mango, tropical fruit, some citrus, hints of sweet strawberries, some wet grass.

T- Citrus, passion fruit, some peach, pine finish with some wet grass and a touch of alcohol.

M- Smooth, medium body.

O- The best parts of this beer linger on the tongue. Seems to be more along the line of a traditional DIPA instead of the hazy craze.
    [​IMG]
    Hoping to get in at least one more new beer tonight, cheers!

2beerdogs, Roguer, mickyge and 22 others like this.
  2. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Savant (985) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Supporter Beer Trader

It's been a great Father's Day for me. After church we went to Rebel Kettle Brewing with some friends for lunch. Then I played with the kids during the afternoon. At dinner time, my wife fed the kids and sent me out to get some wings. Now it's time for a special new beer.

This beer is without a doubt the most sought-after Arkansas beer. It has a rating of 100 with 345 ratings. I'm guessing it's the only Arkansas beer anyone outside the state had heard of it would trade for. It's also I beer I thought I'd never get to try. I'm not willing to drive almost four hours and stand in line for the release. Without doing that, the beer is really difficult to get. However, a co-worker got a four-pack from a friend and he offered me one. I gratefully accepted and have him a KBS in return. So I present Bourbon Double Creme Stout.

Ozark Beer Co.
    BDCS 2017

[​IMG]

The beer pours very thick and very dark with a nice, thin, tan head that disappated quickly leaving small lacing.

The smell is chocolate from two feet away then tons of bourbon.
    I'm not getting much beyond the chocolate and whiskey, but I'm not complaining.

The taste is bittersweet bakers chocolate and whiskey. Most of the reviews describe this beer as a bourbon soaked chocolate cake. I'm not getting a lot of sweetness that I would describe as cake, but more sweetness comes though as it warms.

The mouthfeel is fairly thick with low carbonation. The beer still produced a head when poured, but the carbonation doesn't overwhelm.

Overall, this is a really good beer. It has more bitter chocolate than many chocolate stouts. I'd be interested to try this with a couple years on it to see if the bitterness fades. I'm not sure it's on par with the KBS/BCBSs of the world, but it is an outstanding beer.

2beerdogs, Roguer, mickyge and 25 others like this.
  3. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (3,417) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

This was one I thought was a fairly tame, but good, juicy IPA the first day I sampled it. When I had it weeks later, I ended up liking it for the same reason you mention at the end: it has the aspects of a regular DIPA.

4. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Champion (809) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Hello New Beer Sunday!!!

This is the first Fathers Day without my dad. He died back in late February from the severe brain injury he suffered from slipping on the ice in his driveway. It's been a rough day for me, even more so because it's been a long weekend at work.

At least I have my first day off in a month tomorrow, and I REALLY plan on enjoying it. I'll be visiting my niece and nephew, and weather permitting, plan on taking them shooting. They will finally get to shoot their great grandpa's handguns. It should be a good time. It will be a good time for their crazy uncle also, since I plan on visiting a couple of highly rated, breweries for my first time. It will be a fun day.

Now on to the main event - the new beer.
    [​IMG]
    PranQster from North Coast Brewing.

I had a really tough time deciding on my new beer for tonight. I was looking through my new beers and I really couldn't decide, but I knew I wanted something moderate, so the high octane beers were out. In the end this one stood out, and it's damn good. Nice color. Nice body. Just an all around good beer. So glad to be drinking it tonight. I doubt there will be another tonight, since I do have to get up early and get on the road to make it to the southern twin cities before rush hour hits, so I guess I will see you all in WBAYDN throughout the week. The Next NBS I'll be on the road, reporting from Angle inlet. See you all then.

4.47/5 rDev +11.8%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a nice, fairly clear, golden color. Minimal white head, but nice carbonation bubbles rising in the glass.
    The nose has a nice rich malt smell. There's also a hint of sweetness to it.
    The taste is pretty complex. It starts off a bit mellow. Hardly there. Then it starts kicking in with a malt and sweetness that you taste, and feel all the way down.
    This is a very full bodied beer. No watery feeling at all. Nice feel of the carbonation bubbles going down.
    Damn delicious overall. So glad I decided to buy it, and try it. Solid beer.

2beerdogs, Roguer, mickyge and 26 others like this.
  5. richj1970

richj1970 Poo-Bah (1,797) Oct 26, 2012 Alabama
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Back with another one tonight - Back Forty's Jalapango. An imperial IPA with jalapeƱos and mangos.

I techincally had it the other day on draft, but finally sitting down to review and add it to the BA database.

If you enjoy spicy beers as I do, this is a good one!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Poured from 12 oz can dated 6/1/2017.

A: Cloudy golden orange with one finger white head. Fairly short retention and moderate lacing.

S: Hot peppers with a distinct vegetable quality and ripe mango. A bit of green bell pepper in the back.

T: JalapeƱo heat that is somewhat controlled by sweet citrus. Hops get lost in the mix.

M: Medium body with average carbonation. Finish has a little pepper heat and some slight bitterness.

O: Tasty and unique beer. Strictly viewed as an IPA it falls a little short, but as a spicy beer it's a winner.

2beerdogs, Roguer, BJB13 and 23 others like this.
  6. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Meyvn (1,436) Mar 7, 2013 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

That's their weakest seasonal beer in my opinion so don't let it burn you on trying others.:slight_smile:

Sweet glass!

woemad and Victory_Sabre1973 like this.
  7. Prager62

Prager62 Meyvn (1,491) May 7, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Hello again friends of NBS. Another weekend comes to an end and I'm on the couch exhausted and watching baseball. This seems to be the pattern now with summer here and every weekend loaded with activities. This weekend took me to Pittsburgh for the Cubs-Pirates series. It's been around a dozen years since I was last out there and this was a good excuse to revisit a city I've always enjoyed.

Time was budgeted with so many things to do, but I managed to visit one brewery. I chose Brew Gentlemen in the borough of Braddock just outside the city. A neighborhood rich in history that fell on hard times after the collapse of the steel industry, it's now trying to reshape itself as a community of artists. Having grown up on the far south side of Chicago under similar circumstances, I felt compelled to check it out.

Let's move on to a beer I sampled there yesterday but didn't review because of time and it was a small pour. I purchased a growler of Akamai DIPA with a 8.2% abv. and I'm serving this in a 12oz. tulip for the occasion.

It pours a cloudy pale orange juice color leaving a couple fingers of creamy white foam behind. There's heavy lacing present as it slowly settles. The smell is a fruit basket of pineapple, orange, grapefruit and mango. Taste is pineapple/orange/grapefruit juice, mango, papaya and a hint of floral. The feel is light and pillowy with a slightly acidic finish.

As the hazy juice bombs go, this can run with the best I've had. A cornucopia of juicy fruit with a very drinkable 8.2% abv. If this was packaged, I would have bought a couple of cases. My score is 4.62 / rDev+5.5%. I was quite surprised it wasn't rated higher. From what I sampled yesterday, they seem to know what to do with hops.

This old dog is tired and going to finish his growler then probably pass out. Have a great week people. Here's the official scorecard.......

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/34599/176357/?ba=Prager62#review

2beerdogs, Roguer, BJB13 and 21 others like this.
  8. zid

zid Champion (800) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]

Sierra Nevada / Avery - Beer Camp barley wine ("Big Hog")

This is the last beer from my Beer Camp 12 pack. Overall, I thought the pack was excellent this year. It was cool just to have a mix pack with two different barley wines in it... That's not something you get everyday.

Oddly, this one is a blend of the barley wines from each brewery. It's amusing that the nickname implies that Hog Heaven was the beer used for this, and this label calls it an American barley wine, but Avery recently rebranded that beer as a red IPA. As Zappa once sang, "You are what you is."

Here's a very quick thought on this beer: It tastes of orange marmalade but there's a very persistent and strong bitterness that just sticks. That's not a knock. It's very enjoyable. Actually, going back to the humor of the IPA rebranding, the heavy bitterness and malt presence in this beer is a welcome combination with so much of the IPA world currently focusing on the opposite.

9. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (2,415) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Supporter Beer Trader

Last new beer Hill Farmstead Elaborative Five, thanks @Doug537! Hill Farmstead can do no wrong!
    4.47/5 rDev +1.4%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Doug537 for this
    375 ml bottle poured into a flute

A- A slightly hazy copper/amber with a two finger head.

S- Tart, lemons, wild strawberries, earthy funk, oak, some herbal tea and vanilla.

T- Sour, lemons, hints of strawberries, herbal tea, oak, some earthy funk.

M- Smooth, light body, crisp.

O- Really sour, nice funk and oak combo. Worth seeking out, a great wild ale.
    [​IMG]

2beerdogs, Roguer, VABA and 21 others like this.
  10. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (4,685) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

And, after a break for a bite to eat (a chicken sausage with sun-dried tomatoes and basil, on a whole wheat roll [see, I can be healthy!]), and a bit of a walk about the neighborhood. I arrive home to find my roomie making Duck Confit Ragoon, with Blackberry sauce. He's on a chef board, and every week they do a challenge using a couple ingredients, this week duck and blackberry.

This beer also comes courtesy @2beerdogs , and is the afore mentioned Horse: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/48782/281209/

11. bobv

bobv Meyvn (1,369) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Beer Trader

In honor of a certain band playing at Fenway tonight...

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/47156/250166/

[​IMG]

...and in honor of a show I attended oh so many years ago.

[​IMG]

Canned 5/16/17.
    Moderate pour yields a one inch white head over a hazy straw body with some sticky lacing. Nose of light citrus with tropical and floral notes as well. Taste of subdued tropical fruit and slight citrus bitterness. Feel is a tad thin and overall pretty nice and easy drinking. Cheers to Floyd for the hookup!

3.87/5 rDev -1.3%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12. Samlover55

Samlover55 Zealot (589) Oct 8, 2015 New York
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Happy NBS,
    This is my 1st NBS post in quite some time, must be in honor of Fathers Day.
    The beer is an American Pale Wheat Ale.
    Bell's Oberon
    [​IMG]
    12oz can into nonic pint
    canned on 3/9/17 3 months plus
    L- a hazy burnt orange, with 2 fingers-thick head, that slowly dissipates
    S- noticeable wheat aroma, as in cloves,
    T- again noticeably wheat, as there is extremely light breadiness, followed by some grapefruity citrus, and a spicy finish
    F- light & creamy with above average carbonation
    O- Bell's has done it again, this is as advertised the perfect summer beer, with easy drinkability and great flavor
    Cheers!

13. RJLarse

RJLarse Poo-Bah (1,558) Dec 30, 2005 Washington

Greetings all, and a very happy Father's Day.

I've been absent from NBS for a couple of weeks, consumed with a porch cover project that turned out to be, well... a project. Not done, but I'm down to the punch list items. So this will be a Memorial Day weekend project that finishes around the 4th of July.

Today we have Rebel Grapefruit IPA. Part of a sampler 12-pack from Sam Adams.
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/186817/

It's OK. I'm not sure the grapefruit aspect makes it any better than the regular Rebel IPA.

We took a little trailer trip this weekend, which included a tour of the Hanford Nuclear Reservation with a pre-Manhattan project focus. It must have been incredibly difficult for people to be kicked off their land for "the war effort" and for reasons that could not be disclosed. Not that the farmers and ranchers would have understood nuclear physics in 1943 anyway. I'm not sure I understand it in 2017. Our nation has a dubious history with our own citizens. The future can't be much worse.

Until next time,

Happy Trails!
    [​IMG]

14. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (7,506) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

My sympathies. I do remember you telling us about that. My Dad has been gone for 4 years & I still expect to be able to pick up the phone & call him, miss him so much

15. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (705) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Same here. But I'm certain that's really Lt. Dan's wayward brother, Cap'n Dave!

16. JBowenGeorgia

JBowenGeorgia Disciple (307) Sep 1, 2016 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Getting around to review a beer I had this morning courtesy of @ovaltine from NBS #5. I enjoyed it while doing some chores around the house before heading to a late lunch at my sister's house with my Dad and kiddos(I'm anti DUI so no worries there, my wife drove). This was a new to me brewery, new beer, and new style. My first quad:
    [​IMG]
    I went into this one with no expectations as it was my first quad, I have thoroughly enjoyed the other beers from said box so I did assume this one would be great as well! I wasn't disappointed, a pop of the the top released a slightly sweet banana-ish aroma that after pouring turned to more of a sweet toffee like roasted malt. The taste was similar with some dark fruit up front the caramelized sugar, toffee, and some chocolaty roasted malt following. The alcohol was present but not overly so. Thankful to have broadened my horizons with this one.

VABA, 2beerdogs, Roguer and 20 others like this.
  17. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (7,506) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

C;own Shoes Crasher in the Rye. Choice; 4.29 over-all

Pours an effervescent ebony with 2 fingers of mocha colored head. Some lacing & head retention

S: Dark fruit, a little charred grain, plus plenty of vanilla & chocolate as this warms

T: Follows the nose, plenty of barrel, dryness, vanilla & chocolate up front. Dryness, vanilla, some spicy rye & oakyness as this warms

MF: Chewy, low carbonation, super smooth carbonation as this warms

A very good take on the style, as usual, Clown Shoes delivers

18. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,377) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Very nice photo! =)

19. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (1,692) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Supporter Beer Trader

Well Hello Late Night NBS.
    I haven't read much yet, but upon scanning, I see a lot of the old faithful here. I DO look forward to reading all of you fine folks. Happy Fathers Day to you who are, as well as those of you whom are blessed by the presence of good men. As a teacher, I have seen the benefit of amazing dads in some of my kids' lives, and sadly, I have seen what poor fathering (or even no fathering) can do to kids. Count your blessings.

Anyways, I shared a glorious beer, Hazy Afternoon from Voodoo Brewing in PA. This was due to the generosity of a very kind and generous BA,@rypkr .
    Ironically, I liked this beer a LOT more than he did. :grinning:

It's a NE style IPA. Glorious, hazy, juicy, and...yeah, I liked it a lot.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13371/284712/

He also sent me Bodhi, from Columbus Brewing. Holy Shizzle. I haven't "written it up" yet, but I'm going to be singing its citrusy and piney praises to High Heaven.

Thanks, Rory.

Cheers All.

20. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (3,417) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Well, Father Time has marched on, and he hasn't done as threatened and "turned this car around" despite our complaining about it. And so our travels take us into Monday, where we'll make a brief stop before continuing onward.

Thanks to all who participated on a holiday, and became part of the family for at least a day. Just remember, it doesn't have to be a holiday for you to stop in for a visit (though for this thread it does have to be a Sunday).

(Side note: We'll have to check the annals of NBS history to see if this is the first time two different Altbiers were reviewed in the same week)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.