New Beer Sunday (Week 644)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lordofthewiens, Jun 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,235) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

Have you ever been competent, or even good, at something, and then lose that ability? This is a description of my presently abysmal golf game. I've been playing golf for 60 years. In my younger years, while not great, I played to a 4 or 5 handicap. As I got older the handicap rose, but still remained in the single digits. That is, until two years ago. I began to have trouble breaking 90. Shooting less than 80? Forget about it! I've bought new clubs, I've tinkered with my stance and swing, I've taken lessons, all to no avail. I tell you, it's wearing me out. I once had a game I played fairly well, and could rely on, and now it's gone. I'm going to keep working on it, though. I am taking a lesson this week from our new pro, who says he can help me. Hope springs eternal!

One thing I'm still good at is drinking and talking about beer. This is the place to TRY a new beer and to TELL us about it. Beer is appreciated in five categories: appearance, aroma, taste, mouthfeel, and overall impression. So drink a new beer, put your fingers on the keyboard, and tell us your impression here on New Beer Sunday.

My new beer for today is Ghost Hammer IPA from Stone Brewing. It was canned on 05/18/17 and meant to be enjoyed by 09/15/17.
    It pours a hazy gold color with a thick, but rapidly dissipating, white head. There is abundant lace.
    Aroma of pine and citrus.
    Taste followed the nose: pine resin and grapefruit zest.
    A hop-forward beer. Good, not great.

[​IMG]

Happy Sunday!

BJB13, superspak, FFFjunkie and 61 others like this.
  2. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Good morning @lordofthewiens ! Thanks for getting us started this morning.

I have had times in my life like that as well. At one time in my life, in my mid thirties and then once again in years later, I lost my touch in the kitchen. Undercooked, burned, too much garlic or just not that good in general. I wondered the same thing. I attribute it either to stress or enlightenment or both. Someone once told me that when you are working toward a new idea or a different mind that you can become literally clumsy and off balance.

See you in a bit with my beer!

#2 utopiajane, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  3. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,416) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

A new day . . . a new beer . . . life is good . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Score 4.08
    look: 3.75 | aroma: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Deep clear amber with orange highlights and white cap.

Intriguing aroma of coffee, cacao, resin and grapefruit.

I taste chocolate first quickly followed by coffee and piney hops. It's like someone poured half a beer, got distracted, then inadvertently topped it off with brew from a different bottle. A joltingly disjointed concoction that strangely works.

Medium texture with balancing carbonation.

I want to know what happened to the other half of my beer. Next time I want a whole one, not this halfling. Seriously, I don't know what to think here. It's an interesting blend of styles that's pulled off with panache so I have to appreciate what they've done, still, I think I would prefer one or the other rather than both together.

4. utopiajane

Cheers you all and Happy New Beer Sunday! Today I have an IPA! Seasonal drinking. I like my IPA's in the summer please.

This beer has added essential oils from both tangerine and grapefruit as well as galaxy and mosaic hops.

Happy Seasonal Sunday!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pours a hazy and perfect amber color with an off white head that fell well. Nose is grapefruit and tangerine. Malt is a generous cracker and the hop floral is a light petal on the nose. Malt smells a little toasty. I almost think I smell a hint of caramel and I like that very much.

Taste follows the nose. Soft generous malt with a little mouthfeel and flavor come through bringing all kinds of tangerine and grapefruit. The pithy grapefruit underscores the beer with a little bitterness and the hops do not bite too hard at the end. This had a soft and graceful bearing on the palate and was not too bitter or too strong. It is quite strong though at 7.6% and the alcohol on the palate is gentle and gives some bitterness to the finish too. That hint of toastiness from the malt is the perfect accent to the tangerine. A bit of aftertaste from fruit.

This was very enjoyable!

BJB13, superspak, FFFjunkie and 54 others like this.
  5. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Mornin' NBSers with special thanks to @lordofthewiens for the early and thought provoking start to today's virtual pub.

One of the fringe benefits of living near a city with a great thirst for beer and a matching appreciation of flavorful beers is that Philly has one of the oldest and best beer weeks in the country. This year's recently ended Philly Beer Week (actually 10 days long these days) brings temporarily to town lots of beers we might not otherwise see around here. Sometimes there's enough shipped that we also see some "bleed" into the marketplace.

With a full day on the schedule ahead I'll probably not be back until this evening to report on such a new beer. Currently I expect it'll be the Modern Times Blazing World with only about a month of can age on it.

As for the start up question, yes there are many things I'm no longer skilled at. Most were things learned during a misspent youth and are probably best not shared in public, even if I were still proud of them. But on the other hand I can also say that I have replaced most of those skills with other skills that have served me much better in life than if I had continued down a few other possible paths through life. (Indeed a few of those skills acquired during my youth might well have appreciably shortened my enjoyment of life had they continued. :slight_smile: )

#5 drtth, Jun 25, 2017
  6. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,091) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Good morning. You and I are close in age and I know what you mean about golf, the old golf. Arthritis in my hands has been hell and golf just generally drifted away. Lately, however, my hands are better for some odd reason. We recently visited my brother-in-law in Oak Island and he talked me into a round of golf. I played remarkably well, but my putting was not so good. I used to be a scratch player, but now being out there is great fun. My wife would rather watch golf on TV than basketball anytime. So now we go to a really nice 3 par course and she's damned good! Just keep at it.

BJB13, LeRose, surfcaster and 18 others like this.
  7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,871) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Summertime and the livin’ is easy!

I’ll bet you would never associate this song with playing on a boom-box!?!

[​IMG]

Well, it took a fair bit of effort but I was finally successful at finding the variety pack (Higher Volume) of Sixpoint recently reformulated beers of Blonde (Sweet Action), Bengali IPA, The Crisp Pilsner, and Resin IIPA.

A few Sundays ago I discussed the Bengali IPA and the efforts that Sixpoint made for re-freshing these beers.

This re-fresh was a combination of efforts:

· A change of packaging including a change to the dates they place on the bottom of their cans. They now indicate both a canning date as well as a best by date.

· They reformulated their recipes. This is not so much of a new thing for Sixpoint since in the past they have continually ‘tweaked’ their recipes but for this go-around they seemed to have made bigger changes.

· They have made new efforts in sourcing their ingredients – hops

· They have eliminated filtering – these new beers are unfiltered.

Today I will be drinking The Crisp Pilsner. I have had this beer before in multiple iterations including the version that was brewed at The Lion brewery a number of years ago.

According to the Sixpoint website The Crisp was re-freshed via:

“We went to Germany for this one. When it comes to German hops, American breweries are often left with the scraps (we call that the “hop sausage.”) So we go straight to the source to get the prime cuts. For the first time, the Tettnanger and Hallertau hops in THE CRISP are sourced 100% directly from farmers in Tettnang, Germany — now that bright, floral aroma on this dialed in Pilz comes absolutely flying out of the glass.”

Sounds very exciting!!

Served in my Polish Pilsner glass:

Appearance:

Light golden colored with a BIG white head.

Aroma:

The most prominent aspect of the aroma is bready Pilsner Malt aroma but there is some herbal/spicy hop aroma as well.

Taste:

The flavor pretty much follows the nose. There is sweet Pilsner Malt flavor but there is the accompaniment of hop flavors: herbal/spicy. A firm bitterness.

Mouthfeel:

Medium-thin bodied with an off-dry finish.

Overall:

I think this beer is very good! The most striking feature for me in this beer is the bready/sweet Pilsner malt aroma/flavor but the hop flavors provided some pleasant balance as well.

On the bottom of the can is lists: “CANNED 15MAY2017 BB 11NOV2017”

@zid @rotsaruch @Sixpoint @KOP_Beer_OUtlet @Ranbot

[​IMG]

#7 JackHorzempa, Jun 25, 2017
    BJB13, GrumpyGas, FFFjunkie and 60 others like this.
  8. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

[​IMG]

Breckenridge Summer Pils

There was once a time when I loved Breckenridge Brewery. Then they sold out, and I hated them. I refused to buy their beer for months. Then I lightened up, and basically stopped caring. I still like Breckenridge and they are my sentimental favorite. Today I'm drinking a new pils from them.

It looks beautiful in the glass. Shiny golden body with a dense white head that settles to a very thick foamy film. Lacing is random splotches and vertical river-esque veins of foam. It smells bready and doughy with layers of spicy hops that bring out notes of dried lemongrass and citrus zest. It tastes much the same with malts bringing notions of grainy crackers bread dough. The hops really dry this beer out bringing lemongrass, citrus, and white pepper into the mix. It finishes dry. A good balance between malts and hops overall. Sweet and tangy is how I see this beer.

I like it. I'm not a huge fan of pils but I appreciate them now and then.

After yesterday's heart-wrenching loss of my cat, I sort of let myself get lost in beer this weekend. I'm probably going to take the next several weeks off from drinking although I might find some nice beers for July 4th. Then in a few weeks I'm heading to the mountains. Summer is going by too fast. Until next time, Cheers

9. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,275) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good morning New BSers! Thanks, @lordofthewiens, for starting us off and posing such a thought-provoking question. I never really excelled at anything except math and that ability disappeared in college when I discovered beer and girls, in that order. Nor would I care to get back on a wrestling mat. Now I'm pretty good at analyzing problems in electric circuits and still swing a mean loop in a micro lab, both skills that have served me well over the last 40 years.

Today's New Breakfast Beer is:

$ 8.47 (Including tax)/22 oz capped bottle ($ 0.385/oz) at Riverside Liquors, Grand Rapids, MI.
    Bomber bottled 12/27/16, stored at 42 degrees. Served at 55 degrees in a hand washed and dried Jester King snifter.
    Aroma – sour, a little vinegary.
    Head average (Maximum three cm, aggressive pour), tan, fizzy, average density, short retention, rapidly diminishing to a two mm ring and a thin partial layer.
    Lacing – none.
    Body – deep amber, clear.
    Flavor – begins pleasantly sour with some oak coming through. No hops, no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl.
    Palate - medium, watery, soft carbonation.

Not an exceptional sour but still a good one, worth the price. I’ll watch for more of these.

Appearance 4, Aroma 4.25, Flavor 4.25, Palate 4, Overall 4.25. Rating 4.21, rDev +10.5%.

10. utopiajane

Cheers Jack! I am looking forward to the rest of your thoughts on those beers. I need those reformulated beers! I have not seen sweet action in Idk how long.

Shanex likes this.
  11. JackHorzempa

Society

Maria, I will report on Sweet Action in a future thread. It sounds like they make some notable changes to that beer since they are calling a Blonde now?

Cheers!

utopiajane likes this.
  12. utopiajane

Was it a cream ale? I am hot on the trail of cream ales with no additions like coffee but that's another story. Long time ago they had sweet action and one called brownstone(?) which was a brown ale. Sweet action disappeared for me about the same time as the brown. Bengali was my least favorite from sixpoint but resin is classic and I need to try the new formula.

Premo88 likes this.
  13. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,979) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Good Morning all, and thanks to @lordofthewiens for the excellent opening! I have a new beer for today thanks to @MakersNeat from a quick and easy trade he and I just did.

Was planning on having some of the new Hudson Valley release cans, but they only dropped one of the expected two beers yesterday, and a friend who lives in Beacon gave me a heads up that the one they released is, and I quote, "diarrhea in a glass". Interesting way to describe something, but I know that what he means is it is a beer made with lots of adjuncts and flavor additives and thick enough to qualify as a puree, something neither he nor I enjoy. Interesting times when a brewery like Hudson Valley that makes some of the best barreled wilds, sours, and saisons in America needs also to put out IPA's to stay in business.

As a skiier for most of my life I can relate to no longer having the ability nor skill of younger days, but in my case it is due to bad MCL's on both knees. Bridge isn't a sport, but it is something I have enjoyed playing through life, and I will never be the player I was when I was a younger man with lots of master points (all expired long ago). I once vowed to take up golf when I couldn't do real sports anymore lol, but I think I still enjoy my walks unspoiled too much to do it.

See y'all in a bit.

14. JackHorzempa

Society

It was classified on BA as being a Cream Ale but IMO it really wasn't a Cream Ale. I don't think that the old Sweet Action really fits into any exiting beer style. Maybe we should just call it a Good Ale? I thought it was a good Ale.

Cheers!

15. EMH73

EMH73 Poo-Bah (2,318) Sep 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Amazeballs from Peekskill Brewery, a 4.7% APA brewwd with galaxy hops. Pours a slightly cloudy copper color with a huge white head that was well retained and left blotches of lacing. Smells like tropical fruit juice with some sweet malts. Tastes like tropical fruits with passion fruit and mango at the forefront, sweet malts and a hint of pepper. Very little bitterness on the finish. Light bodied, well carbonated, clean, crisp and very refreshing. Terrific beer, unfortunately a 2 can limit, so one to go.

16. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,076) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

New Beer #1,399 Sunday, starring...

Greenroom
    APA (5.4% abv) from Barrier Brewing...
    [​IMG]
    I'm not a big APA drinker, but I totally dig those I rate as top of the line - beers like Zombie Dust, Lizard King, and Daisy Cutter - and my personally top-rated APA, Toppling Goliath's XHops (Pink)... :sunglasses:
    [​IMG]
    This one is dry hopped, featuring Centennial, Cascade, and Comet... You can see the pale gold body, lightly hazy, under a tall white head, trailing some lace behind... On the nose, grassy, floral, and grainy with hints of pine and citrus... On the palate, tight bitterness, dry, with very little by way of sweetness - clean and crisp... Light-bodied, taut, earthy and bitter... Very much what I expect in a good pale ale (as opposed to an IPA) - light and tight, bitter and dry; as opposed to sweet/fruity... I'd put it just a notch under the beers I referenced above... 6/12/17 canning...

New beer number 1,400 coming up next... :wink:

17. zid

zid Meyvn (1,263) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

The previous version of Sweet Action was never intended by the brewer to be classified as a cream ale. Just think of it as a pale ale that marched to its own beat.

Premo88 and utopiajane like this.
  18. JackHorzempa

Society

In other words a Good Ale!?!:slight_smile:

Cheers!

Ozzylizard, Premo88 and zid like this.
  19. utopiajane

Congrats on a milestone! 1400 new beers! Cheers!

20. zid

zid Meyvn (1,263) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Was this beer always brewed with Galaxy?

Premo88 and EMH73 like this.
  21. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,948) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Thanks to @lordofthewiens for the great NBS start. Will be back later on with a new brew.

Cheers!

22. EMH73

EMH73 Poo-Bah (2,318) Sep 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

I really don't know, just recently found this brewery but as far as I can tell by looking on line yes.

VABA, Premo88 and zid like this.
  23. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,987) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

Dear @lordofthewiens,

Noooooooooooooooooooooo! :slight_frown: Your news is all of woe and strikes too close to home. I've been an off-again/on-again serious golfer for 30 years, and at 45, I can see that day coming when I won't have the distance to handle courses nearly so well ... which, well, I only sort of have the skill for now, but I digress. Your determination to continue playing is an inspiration for all us duffers. Keep swinging!

My new beer is another in a series we call Finally Getting Around To This One:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cycler's Derailleur, a "Scotch-Porter"

True to the name, Derailleur has plenty of both porter and wee heavy notes, starting with a porter-influenced chocolate aroma wafting out of the bottle as your pour. Then there's some peat flavor in the first sip to remind you its half wee heavy followed by a nice toasted-wood aftertaste. It progresses into a mix of those notes with more wee heavy-influenced raisins and even a pinch of licorice. The nose might be "darker" with some earthy red wine, raisins and licorice joining the sweeter chocolate, while in the flavor, wood and a pinch of peat partner up with the chocolate.

The wee heavy portion of the brew really shines the deeper you get into the bottle. The second half of the bomber tastes more earthy with that peat flavor building and building and building.

Overall, it's fantastic. I love wee heavies but can handle only so much peat. By mixing that peaty wee heavy with the chocolatey porter, Cycler's hits on the ultimate wee heavy for my personal tastes — there's *some* peat in here, but definitely not too much.

The review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30162/117778/?ba=Premo88#review
    4.41 (+2.1% rDev)

It's only my second Cycler's beer, but so far they're 1 for 1 with a 10-pitch walk (their 55-11 Imperial Red got on base last week but didn't increase the average :stuck_out_tongue:). This dark-malt concoction is a home run.

Cheers!

24. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,190) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Wow - I never considered a blend of these two styles (both of which I really enjoy). Glad that it works! I may make this a homebrew project...

25. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,987) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

Yes! Do it! Then bring it back here some Sunday and let us all see how it went ... :grinning:

DoctorZombies, cavedave and Buck89 like this.
  26. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,076) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Ok, bros and bras :confused: - here it is...

New Beer #1,400 Sunday

*scattered applause*

Nothing too crazy, but it does have "wolf" in the name... :rolling_eyes:
    [​IMG]
    Wolf Among Weeds, from Golden Road Brewing (my first beer from them)...
    [​IMG]
    8% abv DIPA featuring Columbus, Chinook, and CTZ hops; and 2-Row, Golden Promise, and rye malts... As shown, it has a pale gold body with a faint haze and a big white head that trailed lots of lacing... Aromas of grain and herb, grasses and pine and citrus... Tasted and felt remarkably light - maybe people don't like that in a DIPA (I do) - subtle fruit impressions, mostly of pale citric pith - and earthy grain and mild pine rounding things off... Solid bitterness, smooth and easy-drinking, with a subdued sweetness and clean finish... A little older than I'd prefer for a first time tasting, with a 4/13 canning, but really diggin' it regardless...

That's all I got today, NBS players - see you over in WBAYDN from here on out...

Cheers :wink:

LeRose, bret717, Ozzylizard and 46 others like this.
  27. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,799) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Good morning! I've had today's beer in the fridge for a few weeks, and I've been looking forward to it - Funky Buddha's "Wide Awake It's Morning" their Imperial Maple Bacon Coffee Porter:

Pours black with ruby edges; lite tan foam turns beige as it reduces; decent cap retention, cap ultimately disappears; moderately heavy lacing becomes spotty, and likewise disappears; light legs. 4.25

Poured at 56 degrees. Bottled 3/31/17. ABV is 9.5%

Strong maple syrup and hot buttered pancakes nose. Amazing! 4.75

Sweet maple, coffee, caramel, toffee, lite char, toasted brown bread; maple with an astringent finish. 4.5

Medium full somewhat greasy feel; moderate carbonation; body of a Porter; grainy, dry tongue coating. 4.25

Overall a fun "breakfast" beer. The nose is amazing when first poured. The sweet maple lasts to the end. And...I didn't get any bacon, and the astringent flavor/linger was distracting otherwise I would have enjoyed this beer more. 4.25

The brewer states pour at 50 degrees, so I corked the bottle and chilled it back down to 50 (per my Thermapen):

Please ignore the slight overpour...

Same initial, fleeting good look. Same great/amazing nose. More sweet adjunct/maple flavor, and less prevalent but still present astringent bite on my tongue. Remaining flavors the same. No need to change scoring at recommended temperature...hey, I tried!

I've got to drive 4 hours to Jupiter this afternoon, so hope to check back later. Have a great Sunday!

28. Act25

Act25 Poo-Bah (3,015) Nov 8, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

4 Sunny new beers that surprised me, pleased me this week. Try em, review em.

Sunshine & Opportunity | Almanac
    4.3 rDev +1.7%

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25
    What do you want in a wild saison? This is it. Grass, grain, mineral, cider, orchard. Chalky dryiness. Wine like astingency. Try 24.
    A) Pours a white-wine like saison, golden look, not much lace, but clear and pretty.
    S) Smells up a mix of wild yeasts, then wine tannins, white grapes, peach orchard, lemongrass and white pepper.
    Of course, saison yeast.
    T) Follows smell: wild and saiso yeasts, wine tannins, white grapes, peach orchard, lemongrass and white pepper.
    F) dry, wild, hoppy, interesting.
    O) One of the best. Expertise open and apparent.

Blade & Sheath | Burial Beer (BigSurprise!)
    4.2 rDev +3.2%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Beer makes me think of the sexy side of sheath. Very sexy beer. Saison finale, femme fatale.
    A) Pours a pale hazed gold. Dense, 3 finger, creamy head, leaving wash of delicate lacing over a steady filmy cap. Sexy looking.
    S) Aroma is fainter than most farm saison: grassy, herbal and dry, earthy with less up-your-nose yeasty esters, and more greenhouse, flower store botanicals.
    T Taste is more abundant: hoppy, grassy, with fall apple orchard, dried wildflower and botanicals, and peppery long, food-friendly finish.
    F) Medium with a creamy feel that see-saws into dry floral, pepper, bone dry saison finale.
    O) Try 24. makes me want to try all from the brewer.

Sunrise English IPA | American River Brewing
    3.9 rDev 0%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4
    A) 4 golden copper clear, nice lace, thick head. Around the horn,
    S) 3.75 Suitable English malt cross with American Hops. Grassy, earthy, musky.
    T) 4 Follows nose into Grassy, earthy, musky territory. Less tropical, more earth and bitters.
    F) 4 Suitable, nice tongue twinge.
    O) 4 Overall - nice balance. I tire of EIPA so this one strikes my fancy.

Tropic Plunder | TW Pitchers’
    3.9 rDev 0%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4
    Pleased to be first review of this Plunder, which is surprisingly not a blunder.
    A) Big head pushed by the tropical fruit addition, which resolves to a film, but laces nicely. More body than expected, super hazed with fruit particulate. 3.75
    S) Nose & Taste work. More beer than Shandy. Get mostly the citra along with the lychee, but there's enough malt and hop to make it a beer. 3.75
    T) Woven well together, your tongue keeps searching to name the flavors as none dominates and all work and move around to create a nice see-saw, puzzle of malt, hop, citra, grass, lychee, passionfruit, back to peppery, cleansing, scrubbing finale. One of the few fruit beers to get a 4 from me.
    F) Light, but not thin, well carbed, and scrubbing finish, sweet enough you want some salt snack with it, but never cloying.
    O) Try 6. I give it a 4 as sum is greater than the parts and the fruit works here.

29. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,674) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I agree it's good not great, the best part is the cool can, I'm sure that's not what Stone was aiming for.

Premo88 and Squire like this.
  30. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

I agree with you on this one. I enjoyed it but it was nothing out of the ordinary but it was still a decent beer.

Premo88 likes this.
  31. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,736) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Good morning NBSers!

I am again on a vacay in the northern tip of France. After a tough start of the week with temp up the roof at 100F, it has cooled off a lot. Not so bad but I am beginning to miss the sun already.

There's a small but good beer store 20 miles from the place I am staying in and I purchased earlier this afternoon Hitachino Extra High. From the renowned enough Japanese brewery "Kuichi".

[​IMG]

Poured the 33cl bottle into a mug, appearance is amber, dark. 8%abv.

This is a Belgian Strong Dark Ale, slightly lighter than other in the style, yet very complex. I am reminded of many other Belgian in the same style or otherwise like dubble. Aromas of chocolate, citrus, some berries. Yes this is also reminding me of the legend Duchesse de Bourgogne and the store clerk did mention it too.

I am fairly impressed, I am aware that in this day and age, sure, everybody is capable of brewing great beers but props to the Japanese for this. I looked it up here, and rated it 12% above the BA average at 4,25.

Not saying good bye, folks because I may be back later in this thread...

32. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,374) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Good middle of the day, NBS crowd. This day is one day after our meet up with @BJB13 - some of which was documented on WBAYDN yesterday. We had just about solved the all of this planet's problems when they rang for last call. Too bad everyone, you're going to have to continue living in an imperfect world.

All that thinking through the problems and coming up with solutions made my head a little sore this morning. As such, my new beers for today will not be flowing until a little bit later. I did get a chance to re-gain the Kvass tick yesterday, however (after they reclassified Dogfish Head's version on this site). This one came from Jester King, simply called Kvass, and was shared with the aforementioned @BJB13:
    [​IMG]

The beer had some nice fruity tart notes that made the nose fun to smell, analyze, and discuss. I got apple and pear skin up front and a forest-type woodsy note in back that turned into an earthy watery pale ale like taste (it is only 3.8%). This is one of those I wanted to smell all day, and while the flavors were fine, I was left hoping they would match the nose a little more. I believe @BJB13 might've taken a few notes on this himself, and I was definitely getting more tartness than I read other people getting.

Be back with an actual Sunday beer after lunch. Cheers!!

33. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,413) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Hey NBS'ers. It's been a while since I've posted in this forum.

Having Ayinger Bavarian Pils for the first time.

[​IMG]

This beer pours a golden/straw color, it has a nice bready/biscuity aroma.
    The taste has those bready malts along with some grass and black pepper. There's a nice hoppy bite at the back end of this as well. Crisp and refreshing mouthfeel. I've got to say that even though it's more expensive than I'd like (~$12/4 pk), this is one of the better pilseners I've had. Really tasty.

Overall 4.75/5 for this.

34. GRPunk

GRPunk Meyvn (1,230) Apr 5, 2007 Michigan

35. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

Happy NBS! While it is almost July, I find myself enjoying a nice...fall...day? :astonished: just like @GRPunk ! Cloudy and cool, I decided on a big beer from NBS 4 courtesy of @larryi86

2SP Brewing Company S.I.P pours a deep brown/black with a 1.5 finger head that fades slowly and leaves a good amount of lacing on my glass for a Porter. The aroma is heavy with vanilla and almost begins to seem tart. Bourbon with oak, roasted malt and chocolate. The taste also finds the vanilla to be strong with some bourbon. I get oak and some bitter chocolate with roasted malt. Booze is somewhat present but not overwhelming. Mouthfeel is medium with some soft carbonation. Overall I thought this was decent, but for some reason the vanilla was too strong and almost had a tartness to it.

[​IMG]

36. dee4maine

dee4maine Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2015 Maine

Good afternoon BAs
    Thanks to @lordofthewiens for giving us a depressing, yet a good start. Just kidding, doc. It was mostly depressing:grinning:
    The sun is on top of my head and I am ready for my new beer.
    I am trying Persian Lime Gose from Two Roads Brewing.
    It's a 4.5% kettle soured gose brewed with Persian limes.
    A bit of history: I was born and brought up in the same state in India as Mahatma Gandhi. He was a big believer in adding salt to lemonade and that practice permeated to all of his followers, including my grandfather. It is easy to load up a lemonade with sugar but putting some or only salt (typically done by adults) required taming of ones gustatory instincts of sugary drinks.
    So I was taught to add some salt always by my grandfather, who quoted Gandhi everytime without fail.
    So this beers flavors were very familiar in a strange way to me.
    [​IMG]
    The beer pours with a very short lasting head. It looks like a blonde Ale and seems perfect for the weather I'm drinking it in.
    It smells like a lemonade.
    Taste is very bright and slightly salty. It is very refreshing and thirst quenching. If I close my eyes, it's hard to tell it's a beer.
    Balance of the tart and salt is spot on. Each sip begs for another.
    Here's another look once the carbonation settled. [​IMG]
    It was a joy drinking this in the heat of Maine summer. Cheers and here's to a new beer in your glass!

37. Hinda65

Hinda65 Aspirant (238) May 7, 2017 Utah
    Trader

[​IMG]

Shades of Pale Hogshead Reserve #3

This a Belgian Tripel aged in High West Whiskey barrels. I'm curious as to which barrels they used. Bourne? Rendezvous? I believe Lagunitas used the American prarie for their high Westified. Anyways, I was initially excited that they used High West's barrels as they are one of my favorite distillars, the problem is, I got very little from the barrel...Its a beautiful beer as you can see, nicely carbonated. Reminded me a lot of La Fin Du Monde in that aspect. it goes down nice, has a good heavy feel, I really wasn't sipping this, I was chugging.

Taste is somewhat dry, very light fruit like green apple and a bit of apricot and some woody oak. It's flavor is not super exciting or complex, but that does not mean its not a good beer, cause it really is. At 11% its a smooth drinker, I could pound a couple of these with no problem. A little heat from the barrel would have really rounded this off nicely, too bad I couldn't detect any. Bottled Nov 2016, maybe its mellowed in the months since then.

Look: 4.5 / Smell 3.5 / Taste 4.0 / Feel 4.0 / Overall 4

38. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

Great post!

Lingenbrau, Premo88 and dee4maine like this.
  39. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,979) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

New Wild Ale Sunday (Week 644)
    Greetings fellow NBSers from on the ridge in Mid Hud Val, NY. Beauty day here today.

Getting ready to go sharpen the scythe and get to work on the meadows that once were lawns back when I thought growing alien plants that required poisons to thrive was okay, and discouraging oxygen production and food for native insects and animals was a good thing to do. This wonderful beer from Rare Barrel is hitting the spot. Gonna leave plenty in the bottle as motivation to finish scything quickly.

[​IMG]

Bright clean flavors, plenty of delicious tart peach and berry, adequate earthy funk, in a beer with perfect mouthfeel. Read the whole story here:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/33018/256495/?ba=cavedave#review

Hope you also have a Great American Beer in your glass. Cheers!

40. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

This Sunday's new beer is an IAL ( Italtian Adjunct Lager) Peroni Nastro Azzurro. I wanted to try it because a number of BA's spoke well of it in the on-line AAL tasting a few weeks ago. ( thank you @TangoRad) . The beer is always on tap at a local bar where it is served in a 16oz pint glass. Peroni looks just about the same as any other AAL but was a bit brighter in color and a has a thicker slightly longer lasting head. The struck me as about the same as Bud a bit better in every way, A little more malty a little more hops ect. I decided to make sure of this and with about a 1/2 pint left ordered a pint of Bud. I was right The Peroni is the better beer not by a lot but by enough to notice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.