New Beer Sunday (Week 644)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lordofthewiens, Jun 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bluecrow

Bluecrow Poo-Bah (1,763) Jul 16, 2012 New York
    Society

Collective Arts Brewing Collective Project: IPA #2 This is a hazy to clear golden can pour (okay, I tried two today, not the cloudy ale described by the brewer). Aroma is mostly pine and some grapefruit. The flavor is hop resin and some citrus. This is very easy to drink and has a persistent hop bitterness in the finish. The alcohol is not detectable. The can art is special.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

VABA, LeRose, TheDoctor and 42 others like this.
  2. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (11,607) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Happy New CANned Beer Sunday (Week 644)!

2nd shift beckons at 3 PM so I will be doing my usual quick-in, quick-out routine here again today. I have an incredible backlog of beer here at Chez Woody, both in bottles & CANs, but I have steadfastly been working to winnow down the bottles at the expense of what really matters, namely, The CANQuest (tm). I have a couple of CANs in mind for today which will help make room in the reefer.

First, one of my white whalez:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/88/98640/?ba=woodychandler#review

[​IMG]

and then I was inspired by an Internet friend to stick with this odd trend and review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29/271496/?ba=woodychandler#review

[​IMG]

Enough! I felt like I was on the verge of a sugar overdose! OMFG. I next (and finally) went with the other CAN that I had planned for today. Forget that old palindrome, A man, a plan, a CANal ... Panama! With Bro. Woody, it is A Man, a plan, loads of CANs!

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/31515/96280/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]

As to what I have lost as I have grown older: a) my visual acuity, since I now wear bifocals; b) my intense attention to detail, brought about in boot camp, honed as a cop & refined as a writer & c) my ability to remain on-task. Oh, no, that's right, I never had "c" as my mind tends to wander (seemingly) aimlessly until I come back to whatever point led me on my digression in the first place. I do not suffer from mental illness, I rather enjoy it!

See yinz next week for more stuff!

3. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Some useful things here. I would be good if you could also post your thoughts of this this one in the form of a review since the brewery is almost local to me and the beer hasn't had many reviews yet.

4. El_Brujo_de_A2

El_Brujo_de_A2 Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2016 Michigan

Hello everybody,

The brew I will be drinking with you all on NBS today is Ommegang brewery's Hennepin Saison Ale.Pours golden amber. Bubbly thick head on this brew fading quickly into spotted lacing through out.No fruit notes on the nose. Soft yet spicy mouth feel. Apricot or other fruits are not present in the taste. Heavy malt/yeast/grain instead. Alcohol taste is more prominent here yet clean and crisp.Very dry finish. Leaves an interesting coating on the palate perhaps this is the ginger doing its magic.

[​IMG]
    Hennepin saison ale makes for a solid companion to the summer weather.

I've come to expect some semi sweet notes on this style of brew.I've only had a handful of examples in this style so that is not saying much I suppose. My inexperience and sweet tooth,however does not take away any part of the joy I get from sipping on this brew. Overall this is a solid farmhouse ale, just not what I was expecting. Definitely complex. Cheers guys and gals.★彡

5. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,596) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Good afternoon, NBSers new and old! I wasn't sure I had something new for today, but as I looked through my bottles and my reviews, I noticed I had somehow never gotten around to reviewing an absolute classic: Tripel Karmeliet.

Sharing the bottle.

[​IMG]

On this site, there are really three beloved Tripels: Westmalle (the OG), La Fin Du Monde, and Tripel Karmeliet. I can finally say I've had all three.

Westmalle remains my favorite (and highest rated), although it has the advantage of setting the benchmark in the style. Of the remaining two contenders, I have to say: Karmeliet is really darn impressive. (I happen to have St. Bernadus' Tripel above this one, but few people mention it when discussing must-try Tripels.)

In every way, it looks, smells, tastes, and feels like a classic Tripel. Thick, sweet, and malty; clove and spice, banana and light citrus, honey and wheat. As I said in my review, this really checks every box and hits every note. If you're a fan of the style, there's no reason you wouldn't love this brew. I think relative rankings among the Tripel powerhouses really comes down to personal preference; I wouldn't second guess anyone putting this one above Westmalle, even if my own ranking is different.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/202/656/?ba=Roguer#review
    4.53 / +6.8%

Cheers!

6. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,350) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

My first beer for today is from Rogue, who quite honestly, I can't remember the last time I had s Rogue offering, but there was just something about the ABV of this one that begged my attention.

Rogue 6 Hop IPA

[​IMG]

Somewhat hazy, about an inch of foam from a slightly forced pour that goes away kinda quick. I think there's a 6 way battle going on in the aroma as there is just a bunch happening. Piney, grassy, veggies, cracker and some sweet malt going on. Taste is a bit more defined, as mango (didn't see that one coming) gives way to grassy and stays there until a little sweetness slides in, representing some caramelish malt. Finishes dry and bitter with just a touch of green olive. Mostly thin but not in a poorly executed way, as there's still enough depth to make the thin morph into pretty drinkable. Overall, not too bad.

LeRose, TheDoctor, drtth and 37 others like this.
  7. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,237) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

I played bridge all through college and med school. In fact, we had enough players in med school that we would set up a couple tables of duplicate during lunch, Thanks for the memories!

8. lordofthewiens

Society

Congrats on #1400!

TheDoctor, FFFjunkie and Greywulfken like this.
  9. lordofthewiens

Society

Nice story!

dee4maine, mikeinportc and Shanex like this.
  10. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,484) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Digging into my NBS BIF #5 box with some Short's Uncle Steve's Traditional Irish Stout, thanks @Blackop555!
    4.08/5 rDev +9.4%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Thank you Blackop555 for this
    12 oz bottle poured into a pint class

A- Black with a two finger mocha head.

S- Roasted malts, some coffee and dark chocolate, caramel malts.

T- Coffee, some dark chocolate, touch of tart dark fruits, some caramel malts.

M- Smooth, light to medium body.

O- A solid straight forward stout.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!

11. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,737) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Alright, I am back and for the first time in half a dozen participation in NBS since Dec 2015, I am trying and more importantly reviewing two beers in NBS.

So the second one of the day is Pilsner Urquel.

[​IMG]

For a long time I was never much a fan of Pils, but I have to admit that on a summer evening after a day out it feels good. 33cl bottle poured into the same mug. I liked the 2 inches white head that faded faster than I could sip on it.

Smells and taste kinda herbal, almost mint. Very refreshing beer, since I've had the heavy Japanese beer before I am taking my time yet had it be my first beer of the day I'd have chugged it. It could be a great session drink at only 4,4%. Not the kind of beer you get tired of or that makes you dizzy.

Cheers NBS, maybe see you for a third round.

#51 Shanex, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  12. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,656) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Hello NBS.
    Thanks to @lordofthewiens for the start. I have had the same experience with running and basketball. Thankfully, I'm coming out of my funk a bit. Well as much as this old body will allow.:flushed:

Well I must share a very unique beer with you folks. All because of the generosity of our very own @Ozzylizard . He hit me with this back in NBS BIF #3. I finally had a few people together that were excited for a beer of this type. And without further adieux.

Weyerbacher's Althea a dubbel brewed with plums.
    Poured from the 750 ml bottle into a Bruery tulip.
    Poured a roiled brown with some sandy head bursting up and then quickly retreating to a thin, scattered layer. Very lite lacing.
    Smell is of smooth brown sugar sweetness, some plum, and slightly funky yeast.
    Taste is definitely plum forward (a bit tart), with a slight white wine grape nod. Also, as I sip more, I find some fig and date notes, as well as some brown bread. Lots going on here.
    Mouthfeel is slightly fuller than I expect in a dubbel. I like that. Low carbonation. Quite good.
    Overall, I find this to be a very interesting dubbel, and I'm grateful to have tried it. Thanks again Mr. Lizard.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/392/98561/

13. Dragginballs76

Dragginballs76 Poo-Bah (2,573) Nov 13, 2015 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Happy NBS everyone thanks @lordofthewiens for getting us started. I have been on beercation all week and the beer I am drinking right now I picked up at Burial Friday afternoon and is simply amazing. It reminds me of many of the Veil beers that I have gotten from @vabeerguy, a very well balanced juicy DIPA called Momentary Inception clocking in at 8.5% it is dangerously easy drinking. This is a collaboration with The Answer in Richmond. These guys are making some great beers, I have tried several times to go on Saturday and it has been packed Friday was the day I had the whole place to myself and had a blast!!

Appearance 4.5 - Pours bright cloudy orange with a thick white head that lasts forever. Inside of the glass is covered with lacing.

Aroma 4.5 - Tons of tropical fruit mango, papaya and passion fruit. There is also a light grapefruit and pine aroma.

Taste 4.75 - The taste is amazing mango, pineapple and passion fruit. There is a touch of grapefruit on the finish and some bitterness.

Feel 4.25 - Medium bodied well carbonated slightly dry finish. No sign of the alcohol easy drinking.

Overall 4.58 - An amazing beer, excellent balance between the bitterness and tropical fruit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,859) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Thanks to you and all who participated as well. That was definitely a fun and informative tasting. I also came away from it with some new prospects, one of which I was able to get a few weeks later- Upland's Champagne Velvet, which I really enjoyed. For me, the 'hoppier' takes on the style tend to work best; there's definitely the delicate and refreshing qualities, but also a little life to them. That's the way it was with Champagne Velvet, which seemed to be hopped at nearly Pilsner levels in the bitterness department. I will definitely be making it more of a regular thing going forward.

15. EMH73

EMH73 Poo-Bah (2,318) Sep 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Jenny Said from Singlecut. First off I would like to say that I seem to be pouring aggressively today. That being said, pours a slightly cloudy Amber color with a large white head that dissipated fairly quickly to a ring that left blotches of lacing down the glass. Lots of tiny bubbles present from the pour as well. Smells predominately of citrus fruits, some tropical fruits and pine. Taste starts off with bright sweet orange or tangerine flavors, mango, papaya, pine, then grapefruit and grapefruit rind make their presence known and makes the beer finish with a moderate amount of bitterness. Light to medium bodied for the sryle, well carbonated and finishes very slightly dry. Another fine IPA from Singlecut, great on a hot day.

16. El_Brujo_de_A2

I feel greatful for having the opportunity to have had a new beer to me every day of this week. I just realized,..holy smokes I could post in this thread once more! dare I say twice? thrice?!

ok enough of that rant next up I will try some of this here...
    [​IMG]
    Oddside ales Pineapple IPA(ale with pineapple added)

Pours golden brown.One finger inch thick head. Oodles of lacing on the glass once the head decipates. Huge notes of pine resin and floral notes on the nose.

Superbly "dank".

I can't say I taste any pineapple here but I don't mind,this brew is really well done. Wet mouth feel with a clean dry finish. 7.5 Abv is cloaked effortlessly into the flavor of the hops. This is pretty much the definition of a midwest? IPA. I say that because Bells,perrin,and blackrocks have similar offerings with bells having the slight edge on the yeast they purvey to this style of brew. Without getting distracted any further I will say that I enjoyed this beer quite alot and would drink again.Cheers everyone!

17. ichorNet

ichorNet Poo-Bah (1,897) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society

Hey NBSers! First off, let me tackle the question from the original post... there are lots of things I've gotten a bit worse at over the years due to lack of practice, but plenty I've gotten better at as well. I am very out of practice with anything graphic design related (even though my degree is in it and I've been out of school for about 6 years), for instance, but I'm sure I could get back into it fairly quickly if I wanted to.

Also, since moving from a retail pharmacy setting to a production supervisor technician setting (toooootally different), I've lost a lot of knowledge of drugs and pharmacology which is somewhat depressing because I used to be very bright in that field. Again, not something impossible to retrieve but somewhat frustrating at times. Granted, I'm a lot better at time, workflow and personnel management now, none of which I ever expected to be involved with in a professional capacity... so that's interesting. Life is strange, as we all know!

I have quite a few new beers to tackle today, and they are divided evenly between sours and fruit beers, with one beer in particular bridging the gap between the two sections of reviews I have in store. Kind of a coincidence, if I'm being honest, but I love when things serendipitously work out like that, don't you all?

My first New Beer of Sunday, June 25th, 2017 is a newly-released brew by Weyerbacher called Sexy Motherpucker.

[​IMG]

Gotta say, I was drawn into this one by the awesome name and kitschy label art so I picked up a single to give it a solid shot before committing to a sixer. A 7.5% dark sour ale inspired by the now-classic "Arnold Palmer" (50/50 lemonade/iced tea), this was late-hopped with a notable addition of Citra to give it "a nice citrus kick in both flavor and aroma," according to the brewery.

Pours a mostly clear, dark garnet-red color (I'd say between 30-33 SRM) with a quickly-dissipating head of off-white foam (bordering beige). Not a very eventful pour but that color and clarity combination is quite nice in all honesty.

Nose has superb bright lemon peel notes and some light nutty/caramel malt from the darker malts that gave this its color. I'm not quite sure why it's so damn dark, but whatever. I get a bit of kiwi and orange peel too. Not very complex, but definitely seems like it's going to have a nice flavor if this citrusy nose is any indication. Seems like the late-hopping came out well here.

Kickin' acidity on the palate, as pretty much expected, but with some slight black tea suggestions. Perhaps just confirmation bias, but I can sorta see where they're coming from with this one. Herbal and a bit floral as well, with more lemon "Sour Warheads" flavor. The 7.5% seems a bit high but it doesn't taste too strong overall, so it gets a pass from me. Deep, almost chocolate-y malt that falls prey to tartness in the back-end once again. A bit sweet with some mild nuttiness. Hmm, pulling in some different directions here but I don't think it's bad by any means.

Feel is thinner-bodied than you'd expect, once again, given the color, however there is some viscosity toward the finish before it wraps up with a drying hit of more acidity. Carbonation is fairly lively and works well with the acid profile. This seems to be getting kind of panned on BA, but I don't think it's by any means as bad as most ratings and reviews are making it out to be. This by no means deserves an 82, but it's also not a 90-worthy beer. I'd probably average this out to be an 86-87 or so in my book. If you know some idea about what they were going for with this one, you'll probably like it a bit more. No guarantees, though, I suppose.

Currently have this song on repeat. It's probably the only track I really like by the project... something about the beat combined with the cheap vocal sampling is really addictive to me. Great stuff, and very alien in a sense as well.

Here's a couple more in recent rotation, just for fun.. awesome gothic rock/industrial rock/synthpop. I'll update as my playlist changes throughout the day.

————————————————

Almost forgot! Time for an update on me and my buddy's now-finished New England-style double IPA. Being from MA, we've been following, enjoying and criticizing these types of beers since the whole idea started. We have been pretty bad at making consistent hoppy beers in the past, but we decided to go all-in over the past few weeks and put together a big ol' double IPA with a lot of "NE" elements (flaked grains in the grist, late-hopping focused kettle hop schedule, whirlpool hop additions, double dry-hopping, no secondary transfer, fermentation with an "ester-forward" yeast strain, no yeast added for bottle-conditioning [since we don't keg yet])...

... and it came out great! Here are my final thoughts about it, along with a picture I took of a bottle I opened a couple hours back. Cheers all, and thanks for being a captive audience for my ramblings!

[​IMG]

"Our New England double IPA features orange, grapefruit and mango in the nose with strong dry white wine flavors, along with notes of guava, pine resin and citrus peel/rind.

— TECHNICAL SPECS —

Malts: Golden Promise, Irish Pale, Flaked Oats, Flaked Barley

Hops: Zythos, Mosaic, Galaxy (kettle); Summer, Nelson Sauvin (double dry-hop)

Yeast: Imperial Organic Yeast A38 ("Juice")

ABV: 8%
    IBU: 60
    SRM: 7.2 (medium orange)"

LeRose, Prager62, TheDoctor and 35 others like this.
  18. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,988) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

I love that beer and had it about six months ago. My bet is the bottle conditioning it's undergone over the past six months has given it more tartness. I remember it having plenty of Jester King's signature farmhouse flavor earlier this spring, though it definitely did have a lot of sweetness for a JK brew.

Cool seeing that bottle up north! :grinning:

New one for me:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cycler's Dom'E'Stique Wit, brewed with coriander, orange peel and lavender

From the pour to the nose through the flavor and mouthfeel, this beer screams "gose!" It even has a hint of tangy salt mixing in with the tart lemon ... that is, it either has it or my mind is tricking me into expecting it because that first tart bite of lemon is so gose. The lavender is very present, especially in the flavor, while the coriander only shows up after the beer has warmed and even then it's very subtle.

I absolutely love it. But I'm also a BIG gose fan, so a lavender gose sounds just about right to me.

The review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30162/93921/?ba=Premo88#review
    4.04 (20.6% rDev)

Cheers!

19. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

[​IMG]

Abbey Dubbel

Blackberry Farm Brewery
    Belgian Strong Dark Ale / 8.00% ABV

3.81/5 rDev -4% | Avg: 3.97
    look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The beer pours a beautiful reddish brown. The head is a voluminous 4 fingers of creme colored foam. The nose is slightly disappointing. It consists of a mustiness overtone with hints of dark fruit and caramel sweetness beneath. The taste is initially dull, but opens up as it warms. There are dark fruits and a bit of alcohol. The mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium. The carbonation is surprisingly light and prickly considering the size of the head on pouring. I think this is correctly identified here as a Belgian strong Dark rather than a dubbel. Its pretty good as strong darks go, although there are certainly better examples readily available. I wouldn't seek it out, although I would have no problem drinking it again if available.

20. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,092) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I know about the loss of a fine animal, a friend, the fabric of love. I'm looking right now at a picture of my beloved Lily, a Yellow Lab that made 14+ years. I miss her everyday and my love for her is endless. There is never any consolation for loss, but that bright love outlives us all.

21. TongoRad

Society Trader

We're having a hot muggy weekend, but there's still outdoor work that needs to be done. Thankfully this is in a shady spot at least, and I also have a suitable beer handy-
    [​IMG]
    My few pots of Sweet William Dianthus are at the point where they need pruning and deadheading, and it's the kind of day where I can just relax and take my time anyway. I don't get nearly enough time for this stuff lately, it seems, getting home around 8pm most nights, so I am actually enjoying the opportunity.

I think I saved the Sierra Nevada/Surly Beer Camp Ginger Lager for just the right time.

It's delicious and refreshing in it's own particular way. The ginger has a clean vivid feel to it, while the body of the beer is crisp and smooth. There's some residual sugars going on, but just enough to lend the suggestion of a nice ginger ale. Where that all differs, though, is in the finish, where the cayenne and oak make their presence known. I really like what the wood does, adding a nicely seasoned and almost vinous quality, but the cayenne is keeping me at arm's length. I know that 'hot' ginger ale is a thing, and have a friend who loves the stuff, but it usually just sends me in search of something else to drink after I've drunk it :wink:. In this case, it's at an appropriate level and well-incorporated into the overall package. It's a tasty and enjoyable B+ (3.85) from me, then, but it could have been higher.

22. Dragginballs76

Dragginballs76 Poo-Bah (2,573) Nov 13, 2015 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Here is another new beer I picked up this weekend Burial/Threes Brewing Both Ways. An IPL brewed with Saphir and Citra hops. Nice clean IPL good flavors and very easy drinking.

Appearance 3.75 - Pours semi transparent yellow with very thin white head that quickly dissipates. No lacing just a ring around the top.

Aroma 4 - Very light citrus lemon, grass, light hop aroma.

Taste 3.75 - Light lemon, straw, some mild grapefruit. There is a very nice balance of light hoppiness and bitter citrus.

Feel 4 - Light bodied refreshing with a touch of bitterness.

Overall 3.84 - A pretty decent IPL nice flavors easy drinking.

[​IMG]

23. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,644) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Good afternoon, all, and Happy New Saison Sunday! Thanks to @lordofthewiens for baring his soul regarding the travails and disappointments of golf. I always wanted to play this game respectably and even took lessons a few (read: many) years ago. My problem is that whenever I could afford to play I didn't have time, and whenever I had time I couldn't afford to play. I still have my old Wilson Staff blades, and I've picked up a few TaylorMade and Callaway metal "woods" along the way. However, it's been years since I've hit a ball. (I can also empathize with @woodychandler on the loss of visual acuity, which I'm hoping my upcoming cataract surgery will ameliorate.) Now on to the beer.

Lomaland is another great beer from the Modern Times variety pack I picked up in Vegas a couple of weeks ago. This has aroma and flavor profiles typical of many of the saisons I've tried, only with a depth and complexity that others lack. The malt bill includes Pilsner malt, flaked wheat, flaked corn, and two row, making it seem, at least to me, to be a rather full-bodied example for the style. Nice spicy bitterness from the Czech Saaz hops on the finish. So far, I've tried four beers from the MT variety pack and thought they were all excellent. I also love the can designs: classically beautiful graphically, with a clean and uncluttered look. Based on the Seek-A-Brew distro map, I think I was lucky to find this beer.

3.95/5 (rDev +3.1%)
    look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4
    Review here.
    [​IMG]

I found this hand-painted glass in a thrift store. It is from Madiggan in Australia. I think it might have been part of a set. Whatever it is, it is not a candle holder. :wink:

24. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,092) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I love ginger and intend to find that beer. I'm out today messing around the gardens, aiding some beautiful volunteer tomatoes, planting some shasta daisies, and marveling at the also volunteer butternut squash plants (from compost) that are snaking around the beans and tomatoes. Take it for what it's worth, but I've been getting tomatoes for 3 weeks now. Not so long ago, getting big ripe sandwich tomatoes before the Fourth of July was unheard of.

25. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Savant (982) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Trader

Happy Sunday NBS players. A nice hot and sunny summer day here on the island. On vacation this past week so its going to be tough getting back to the grind tomorrow. Spent half of the week in the boston/northern ma area on a short vacation with the fiance. Got to see a really good friend from high school who lives in the area with his wife and three kids. Spent most of the day catching up around the house. Did some major grocery shopping and have been outside fighting the never ending weeding battle. Thanks to my trip I managed a nice little haul of brews and actually have a ton of new beers.

My first new beer today is Truth, ipa, from Rhinegeist brewery in ohio. My first every brew from Rhinegeist too as I've seen it on this site a lot only. Found a bunch of it at a store up in the north chelsmford/tyngsboro area. It checks in at 7.2% abv and a 5/8/17 canning.

An amber pour with good clarity and a frothy white head. The nose is a mix of hops and pale malt and not overly floral. Tangy and bitter hops hit upfront with a nice smooth flow and bitter finish. Lots of that raw hop feel with citrus tones of lemon, orange, and grapefruit. Some herbal and spicier hops tones as well with slight pine and resin. The malt does not hide but it also does not overpower the brew either. It really seems to mellow out the bitterness and add some sweetness to it. The mouth feel is light/moderate with decent lingering flavors.

Overall, pretty decent stuff that really falls right in the middle for me. I wouldn't call it great but it delivers and I would drink it again. One of the better balanced ipa's that I've had. I'm in the 3.5 to 4 range.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. ichorNet

Society

Alright, time for my second entry to this thread. After this, I'm definitely making some late lunch...

[​IMG]

Henniker Brewing Co... I feel like I talked about them just last week... :rolling_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, back with another new beer of theirs, this time from their seasonal lineup. Sour Flower is a dry-hopped sour weighing in at 5%. The label claims it has "notes of juicy tropical fruit to balance the sour, tart, lemony zing."

Pours a slighly-hazy orange color with a thin ring of foam sticking around on top. Super-spotty lacing, made up of miniscule flecks of foam, appears as the head fades down to nearly-nothing. Nice, bright hue to this one but the rather inactive head doesn't sell it much to me.

The nose has some starfruit, sweet orange peel and lemony tartness, along with some sweetness that seems a bit blood orange-esque. Light biscuity malt note among the tangy acidity. Kind of sweaty and musky in a sense, too... there's a slight bit of funk here which I don't think I really expected. Somewhat rustic and barnyard-like. I don't think this has any Brett influence, but it kind of seems like it does to these nares.

Similar on the tongue with a bit of funk, strong lemon peel, hay, biscuit malt, kiwi and guava. Definitely has some tropical and citrus flavors but I'm interested in that off-key funky element. It's not bad, honestly, I just did not expect it. There's a slight, gose-like mineral-esque aspect here. Hmm... this is a confusing one. I like it and would definitely drink more of it but it does indeed have some... err... unique things going on. A quick bit of research reveals that this was dry-hopped with Chinook, Mosaic and Simcoe. Seems that, with that combination, they were focused on pine-y and spicy notes with some minor focus on citrus. I don't get most of those notes, even though that combination of hops would likely yield such flavors and aromas. Seems strange to me, but whatever.

Feel is very solid for a 5% beer. It sits about where I expect for a sour-focused ale with extra hoppiness... moderate body, slightly chewy grain profile with tart acidity and some satellite citrus and tropical aspects. Doesn't really stand out from the crowd, and I would prefer if it featured some real fruit purée or something to differentiate itself, but I'd never pass it up.

I've gone from vaportrap to gothic/industrial rock and now to epic melodic death/black metal today. Here's a new track from a band who just released their second full-length album. For fans of Amon Amarth, Insomnium, old Ensiferum, Sacramentum and Necrophobic. Really nice, expansive stuff. Seems they dialed down the folksy elements a bit this time while consequently upping the epic, riff-based, measured black metal aspect of their sound.

LeRose, Prager62, TheDoctor and 28 others like this.
  27. strohme2

strohme2 Meyvn (1,043) Nov 3, 2007 Michigan
    Trader

I hate playing golf. I love the idea of it though-driving basically a go kart, you can drink while playing, BS with your friends, smoke cigars. The list of fun goes on and on. Anyway, I play a round about once every 2 years, I am bad at it, I swear a lot.

Beer! I try to get every Short's release, for ticking reasons.

This is Michigantuan, a cherry DIPA. Heard good things.

[​IMG]

Pours like a fruited beer. Smell is very orange, citrus, honey and slightly tart cherry.
    It tastes more like a DIPA with some tart cherries. Not much flavor of a cherry, more tart than actually cherry. Some grain, citrus and pine, dank when it warms. It's a good beer but nothing I would get excited about.

28. TongoRad

Society Trader

Wow- I'm just happy to be seeing flowers on my tomatoes lately.

I'm sure you're familiar with Blenheim Ginger Ale. This beer is not as hot as that stuff, but definitely has some zip in it's step. Here's hoping you come across it soon. Cheers!

tasterschoice62 and Ozzylizard like this.
  29. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,737) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Okay folks let's go for a third, they always come in three, right? as I love to keep my promises... And this is going to be a real winner of a beer.

Same beer store where I purchased the Japanese beer and the Urquel. So this third round will be Gouden Carolus Tripel. How come haven't I heard already of this masterpiece? I am not sure but after roughly 18 years of regular beer drinking and two years seriously into craft, I feel clueless there are still Belgian world class beer I was unaware of.

[​IMG]

33cl bottle pouring a massive, Tripel Karmeliet like head lasting a bit. This is a 9% brew and smooth as it is beware of the kick! Taste is incredible, nectar and tangerine, again the strong alcohol is well hidden inside its drinkability. I'm going to make a controversial assertion but ONLY these Belgians are capable of brewing awesome triple like that. La fin du monde is good too, but sorry this is beyond and above.

Ok maybe I am overly enthusiastic but this is the kinda brew that amaze the simple boozers like me. Sorry I took that bad a pic, I'm a bit tipsy now that I'm onto this one, last but not least for the day.

Cheers again folks and have a safe trip on the long beer journey.

30. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,869) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good afternoon, NBS crew!

My 1st choice today is from a brewery I only recently got a chance to try. As @drtth said earlier, Philly got a delivery of Modern Times for Philly Beer Week, and I also picked up singles of the ones I could find. @cjgiant and I got to try a bunch of them on draft during Beer Week, but I believe this one was not present (correct me if I'm wrong, Craig).
    [​IMG]

Modern Times - Black House Stout
    6% abv - 5/25/17 (30 days old)
    Purchased for $3.50 at Monde Market

A - opaque black body with a 2-finger brown head that lingers. 5 minutes after pouring it's still there.

S - faint coffee, some chocolate. A bit underwhelming to the nose.

T - more coffee here. Very low bitterness though. The chocolate takes over at the end, but it never gets into treacle-sweet territory.

M - medium. Lower that I expected from the appearance.

O - A decent brew, but underwhelming. Probably the least impressive Modern Times beer I've yet tried. If they had been more aggressive with either the coffee or the hopping this would have stood out more.

31. El_Brujo_de_A2

Feeling inspired by the awesome post by @dee4maine I am having Dogfish Head's Sea Quench Ale next.
    [​IMG]
    Heaven wouldn't be as sweet without our time spent on earth after all.

The sour lime juice and sea salt in this brew really make it shine. Pours a hazy amber brown. Little to no head. Nose is of lemon peel and slight bready malt. Wow, taste does not disappoint. Dogfish Head brews some truly unique beers. This brew is no exception. Lemon and sea salt are quick to awaken the tounge. I would pair this with sea food definitely. I think I've discovered a summer staple. Cheers everyone.

aoampm, LeRose, Prager62 and 22 others like this.
  32. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,540) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Happy NBS, gang! We're off to a great start on this early summer Sunday, thanks to another thoughtful intro from @lordofthewiens. I don't often seek out Pale Lagers but when Industrial Arts and Other Half collaborate, I take notice. These are two of the finest brewers in the metro area. Hello, Sailor is a 5% hoppy lager. It has the feel of an Industrial Arts beer, lite and crisp, with a dose of hoppy goodness from the hopmeisters at Other Half. It's a great summertime brew. Here's my review:

4.04/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Canned 6/21/2017. Poured into Industrial Arts pint glass. It pours a hazy gold with orange hues, and a finger of foamy, bright white head and soapy lacing with lots of ascending bubbles. The nose features cracker, lemon peel, tangerine, and a whiff of onion. It has a crisp taste of cracker and tart, slightly sour citrus. It finishes with a blast of moderately bitter hops. It's light and crisp with lively carbonation. With an ABV of 5% you can easily drink several, which is really nice on a hot summer's day. Hello, Sailor has all the hallmarks of an Industrial Arts beer: lite and crisp and nicely carbonated. Other Half contributes is mastery of hops. Overall, this is one terrific lager.

Enjoy your new beers, my friends! As always, I appreciate your reviews.

aoampm, LeRose, Prager62 and 25 others like this.
  33. Prager62

Prager62 Poo-Bah (2,261) May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Hello gang! It's hard to believe another week has gone by. A nod to @lordofthewiens for getting things started. I can relate to him lamenting the loss of a skill as we age. I played hockey and baseball in competitive leagues for years and gave it up some time ago because my hand eye coordination was diminishing. I also ran a lot back in the day and gave that up as well. Age and my love of food and beer had me packing on the pounds because I started to become quite sedentary. With the encouragement of some close friends I started running a few years ago and have returned to form. As much as an older guy can! I now place relatively high overall and win my age group often competing in 5K's. I've found I may have to work a little harder, but can still achieve satisfactory results that often draws odd looks from the much younger competitors. Never give up! Enough banter, let's get going with a new beer.

A bomber of the rebooted Wooden Hell barrel aged barleywine that I purchased at the Flossmoor Station release in May. It heralded the return of the original brewer Matt Van Wyk to aid the current brewer Ryan Czaja in producing this batch. Let's give this 9.1% 2017 batch a pour in my 13oz. tulip for the unveiling.

Pours a cloudy liquid caramel color producing a few centimeters of creamy light tan foam. There's quite a bit of tiny carbonation bubbles that give it a nitro looking appearance. Some thin lacing is left behind. The smell is smokey and spicy like a Slim Jim meat stick. There's some toffee, bourbon and vanilla that follow. The taste is toffee, caramel and vanilla like a Werther's candy. Smooth bourbon follows next along with oak and a hint of dark cherry. The feel is slick and creamy smooth, but there is some noticeable alcohol heat that creeps in the back.

I had the original and remember it being really good. Too bad I didn't review back then.:slight_frown: Note to others, please review even if it's a brief description!:slight_smile: This 2017 version is nothing short of spectacular. Slightly sweet and creamy smooth like a Werther's Original dipped in bourbon. There's a sneaky easy drinking quality to this because it tastes much bigger than the 9.1% abv. printed on the label. Flossmoor used to be the shit years ago, then just disappeared in the crowd of Chicago area breweries. This is the best beer they have produced in years in my opinion. My score is 4.45 / rDev-1.5%.

With that said I'm walking over to my bro's for our customary Sunday share. Have yourselves a fine Sunday of new beer. Here's the official scorecard.....

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/612/36567/?ba=Prager62#review

aoampm, LeRose, TheDoctor and 25 others like this.
  34. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,378) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

I do not recall that beer - I think we mainly tried IPAs and sours from Modern Times, though I'm not sure I could pick exactly which ones out of a lineup - was simply enjoying the moment :wink:.

But funny you should mention Modern Times, as they just hit NOVA as well. I saw my local bottle shop throwing them on late Friday for Saturday sales. Went and grabbed some, including a coffee beer (but it is not the can you reviewed), figuring we could have some as a night cap or early NBS from the hotel in Baltimore. Didn't anticipate staying out so late, so those plans fell by the wayside. Since we got growlers of these beers, looks like I have some work ahead of me, so let's get started:
    [​IMG]

I didn't get nearly as much fruitiness as some of the others who had reviewed this beer. To me, it came across as a fairly typical Citra hop IPA with some aspects of citrus but a decently herbal to vegetal bitterness, especially in the end. There seems to be a nice malt presence to give this beer a moderate heft, but this maltiness acts as a vehicle for the hop notes in the beer. There is a citrus note by mid-taste that has a shroud of bitterness around it, and it eventually becomes mildly resinous in the aftertaste.

I ended up enjoying this beer decently well but do wonder where the more juicy notes others perceived in this beer got off to in my pours.

aoampm, LeRose, TheDoctor and 22 others like this.
  35. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,678) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Tomato sandwhiches are our beach staple, nothing better on a hot day chasing it with a beer.

36. MacMalt

Society Trader

Thanks for your review. You're reviewing like a veteran!

ichorNet likes this.
  37. MacMalt

Society Trader

You and I ought to play sometime. We'd be perfect partners!

strohme2 and DEdesings57 like this.
  38. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Defender (637) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

Hello NBS,

Finally got my hands on this beer. For some reason it sells out right away as soon as it drops.

Two Roads Two Juicy - canned 6/12

From the brewer:
    Two Juicy is an unfiltered, cloudy “New England style Double IPA” that uses generous amounts of Hallertauer Blanc, Citra & Mandarina Bavaria hops. The result is a “juicy”, fully-charged DIPA with notes of grapefruit, pine, lychee, orange & tangerine against a soft malt backdrop.

Damn worth hunting this one down. It's an excellent double IPA that has a definite nod to the New England style without fully embracing it. It manegaes to touch on the style while still be unique and not just another NE spin off. Hop profile is also impressively distinct.

I dig it!

Cheers!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

aoampm, LeRose, TheDoctor and 20 others like this.
  39. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,020) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut

Ah, Beer Camp, NBS go-to when you drink your new beers during the week because you can't wait.
    [​IMG]
    Atlantic Style Vintage Ale, colab with Fullers Brewery.

Nice pour, good head and its got that English Ale deep gold.
    Aroma is malt and musty fruit.
    Taste is nice if your in the mood for it. Great ale example with that plum back drop.
    Mouth feel is kind of syrupy, but okay.
    I don't know that I would buy this in store if available, but I might drink it in a fancy gastropub with deconstructed bangers and mash. That's not going to happen though.

40. ichorNet

Society

Number three! This is Two Roads' Persian Lime Gose, a 4.5% gose (kettle-soured ale brewed w/ coriander and salt) with lime and flaked rye. It is also the beer that bridges the gap between my first two NBS entries and my last two. That's right... FIVE NBS entries this week! Luckily most of them are lower ABV :stuck_out_tongue:

[​IMG]

This pours a very pale yellow color with a thin ring of retentive white head. Pretty much no clarity to speak of with this one. Surface of my glass contains some wispy vestiges of bubbling foam, mostly centered and formed by the quickly-rising carbonation of this light-colored brew.

Nose is bright and citrusy with sharp, tangy lime and cereal grain. I remember noting this from the last NBS write-up I did of a beer in this series, but there's a sliiiiight plastic-y note here that kinda turns me off. However, it's not as bad as I remember from the Passion Fruit Gose (likely exacerbated due to the fruit itself, though, since it was also noticeable in the other passion fruit-infused gose I reviewed the same day). Yogurt tanginess, some florals and spice notes. Maybe the flaked rye is actually bringing out some unique notes here?

Superb flavor with bright and juicy lime taking up the majority of the palate. Reminds me of an improved version of Kent Falls' Lime Zest Gose (previously known as Shower Beer, for those following the brewery). Obviously, I can quite easily liken this to a margarita with some extra lime juice and/or sour mix, but there's a refreshing character to this that would cheapen that comparison. The taut acidity stays quite intense until the very end of the palate, and the mineral notes from the gose base beer help balance everything out quite nicely. In other words, this is really crushable. Probably one of the very best fruited goses I've ever had. I don't get much malt complexity here, but I like the flaked rye inclusion regardless, as I think it adds a bit of crispness to the proceedings.

Feel on this one is vibrant and light, with spry carbonation and a nice follow-through from the malt once it warms a little bit. Though the acidity and citrus flavor is pretty puckering here, I feel like this is more drinkable than my past two sour entries from today due to the lower ABV and lack of hoppiness. This is just a wonderfully-done little beer with a really dedicated approach (Persian lime? I mean, sure). Great recipe, great results. Two Roads is quickly becoming an excellent fruited quick-sour producer... Anderson Valley had better watch out! :wink:

Just finishing up listening to an album that has been intriguing me but still hasn't quite caught on to these ears. I really want to love it but it just isn't memorable enough. Nevertheless, I find the passion and inspiration evident on this full-length debut by young Swedish black metal band (with psychedelic rock influences), Jordablod.

I'm glad this got a release on one of the best modern labels for extreme black/death metal, Iron Bonehead Productions, but it feels a bit like a love letter to the late Morbus Chron with some influence from USBM bands like Negative Plane and Nachtmystium. Somewhat awkward with less hooks than it probably wants to have. Still, as I mentioned, the pure, raw enthusiasm seems to be present and I would encourage all fans of experimental extreme metal to give this a shot. Even if I can't get super into it, that doesn't mean it lacks an audience, after all!

#80 ichorNet, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    aoampm, LeRose, Prager62 and 20 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.