New Beer Sunday (Week 654)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lordofthewiens, Sep 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (1,955) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Great opening from @lordofthewiens once again. I just popped a veggie lasagna in the oven and Im sipping a beer that is not new, JA Excess. I may be back later. Have a good one all!

Premo88, Shanex and Victory_Sabre1973 like this.
  2. tasterschoice62

Society Trader

Great review! Ive had a few I really like from that brewery. Stardust may be my favorite Ive tried so far.

3. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

New Beer Sunday: Once A Year DIPA

Evenin’ NBSers with thanks to @lordofthewiens for today’s start up involving a useful history lesson, along with a pointer for those who are yearners after yearly recipe changes in a beer that doesn’t change it’s name every 60 seconds or so.

Well, the weather here today started off chilly and wet and eventually transitioned to sunny with temperatures rising into the 70s. So some chores got done both inside and outside the house. Tomorrow is supposed to be excellent and so will probably see a family outing.

This evening’s new beer is from one of my top choice local breweries, it’s the Cape of Good Hope DIPA from Yard’s Brewing which is in Philadelphia and proud of it.

As usual, my review, in progress until I finish the beer, can be found here:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/450/50737/?ba=drtth#review

Don’t expect consistency over the years in the reviews of this beer since Yards changes the hop bill every year but the name remains the same. It’s a seasonal release and apparently limited since it is can only be found for a short time after brewing. While this beer was bottled in late July it should still be fine after about 6 weeks in the bottle.

The aromas/flavors in this DIPA for this year’s brewing are piney and grapefruit with the addition of some melon. The noticeable bitterness does not dominate things since there is a nice but light malt backbone to cut the tongue rasp and intensity of the bitterness.

I look forward to seeing this one next year to see what they do with the hops they choose for their next brewing of this beer.

Continuing with my plan of listen to lots of original cast recordings of American Musicals, on the player to night is music from The Pajama Game with John Raitt,

Hey There.

Cheers, all!

#123 drtth, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  4. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Defender (633) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

Time to go to the speed of light squared!

[​IMG]

5. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,507) May 5, 2010 Ohio
    Society Trader

Good evening NBS, hope everyone is enjoying the middle of the holiday weekend. Thanks to @lordofthewiens for getting us started off this morning. Some really fantastic weather out there last few days, but it is supposed to rain tomorrow. Just another normal weekend for me as usual. I actually didn't even realize the holiday was this weekend until Wednesday :grin:. Will be working from home anyways tomorrow. My boss gave me overtime, because I have to clean up a database that's all messed up right now. Finally fully back into homebrewing again; made an Irish red last weekend, and a Sierra Nevada Stout clone yesterday morning. Going to try and brew at least once a month now like I used to do.

Normal Sunday errands of bottle returns and laundry for the week. New beer supply is getting low again. I made a small haul yesterday after I finished brewing. Not a whole lot, but did find some unique new stuff that has no ratings at all.

New Beers:

Delicious schwarzbier. Not quite opaque. Nice head retention/lacing. Aromas and flavors of big dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, toasted dark bread, and light nutty/smokey malts; with mild herbal, grassy, peppery noble hops. Light herbal/grassy hop and roast/char bitterness on the finish. Great bittersweet balance. Medium carbonation and body; really nice bready/grainy malt creaminess in the mouthfeel; slight sticky hops and chalky roast. Lightly increasing bitter/roasted dryness; never astringent or acrid. Very smooth flavors. Perfectly clean lagering, no yeast esters. Very flavorful for only 4%. Absolutely spot on to style. Clean Roast/Munich malt flavors with just enough hops to balance. 3.9
    [​IMG]

Pretty nice. This is an odd one to be sure. Awesome head retention/lacing for the style, crystal clear. Aromas and flavors of tart/sour plum, cherry, raisin, berry, melon, red grape, lemon, lime, hay, and grass; with moderate caramel, brown sugar, toasted bread, and light roasted malts; with light lacto funk and pepper. Some yeasty earthiness. Light lactic tartness, grassy bitterness, and yeast spiciness on the finish. Medium carbonation/body; bready/grainy malt and a fair amount of lactic acid in the mouthfeel. Light hop stickiness. Lightly increasing acidic dryness, no puckering. Very drinkable with the mellow sourness. Supposedly a Citra dry hopped sour. Feels Flanders red-ish on style with only kettle souring going on as far as I can tell. Lacto and probably a clean Belgian yeast. No Brett. Grew on me through the glass. Probably won't get another single. 3.71
    [​IMG]

Insane NE DIPA! Fantastic head retention and lasting lacing on the glass. Aromas and flavors of huge passion fruit, papaya, peach, apricot, pineapple, mango, melon, guava, berry, tangerine, grapefruit, lemon/orange zest, and light pepper/pine hops; with moderate wheat, white bready malt sweetness; and herbal, floral, grassy hop earthiness. Light pine, grassy, citrus peel bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-plus body. Bready/grainy wheat creaminess and some hop stickiness in the mouthfeel. Lightly increasing bitter dryness, never astringent. Absolutely unreal amount of drink-ability. Minimal warmth of 9%. Tropical fruit smoothie in a glass. A bit of dank, but is truly pure juice on hops. Never overly sweet/heavy feeling for the ABV. Glad I got the full 4 pack. Identical level of quality to Old Nation, Trillium etc on the NE style. No harsh/overly drying finish, just the perfect amount of bitterness. I need to get a good source for this. I might even drive to Lansing sometime lol(and Old Nation on the way). 4.4
    [​IMG]

Excellent DIPA. Aromas and flavors of big lemon, lime, tangerine, peach, pineapple, apricot, grapefruit, kiwi, berry, passion fruit, melon, citrus zest, and light habanero pepper/pine; with moderate white bready malts; and herbal, floral, grassy hop earthiness. Very mild pine/grassy bitterness and pepper spiciness on the finish. Medium carbonation/body; balanced bready/grainy malt and hop/pepper stickiness in the mouthfeel. A bit creamy. Slightly increasing bitter/spicy dryness. No astringeny. Slight touch of increasing pepper heat. Minimal warming 8%. No complaints, though I was really hoping for more habaneros honestly. Really well balanced between all flavors; nothing overpowering, and not aggressive at all for 80IBU. Very pale on malts. Kind of like an NE IPA with the haze and all that. I'd buy another one no problem. This uses Wai-iti, Riwaka, and Centennial hops. Fairly unique stone fruity/citrus hop notes along with the yuzu/kiwi flavors. 4
    [​IMG]

Cheers, have a good even NBS!

6. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,134) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Awesome review. I just picked up a 4-pk of this and agree closely with your impressions.

7. IDABEERGUY

IDABEERGUY Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2013 Idaho

King Nalu Koa e imperial IPA from Declaration brewing in Denver for me on this new beer Sunday. 9% so it's a little boozy. A milestone beer for me it's the 700th beer I've rated on BA! Thanks for providing this wonderful site. Makes it easy to keep track of the never ending quest for new beer! CHEERS!![​IMG]

8. Psilo

Psilo Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2017 California

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We're having some angry summer weather here, so let's see if this indeed triumphs over it.

Pours a pretty translucent ruby color, with a fuzzy pink head which soon fizzles to naught, as one might expect. Smell is sweet, tart berry, reminiscent of Jolly Ranchers. Taste is tart raspberry undercut with sweet blackberry. Good berry combination. Reminds me of one of those carbonated berry drinks we had around the house when I was younger. No malt taste until the finish, when that light pilsner cracker comes through. Dry breadiness lingers on the tongue. No hop taste, and no alcohol taste. Indeed refreshing on this terribly hot day. Already done with pour one and anxious to finish the bottle off.

9. alexanderplatz

alexanderplatz Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2015 Kentucky

This is an American Pale Ale so for me the most natural way to describe it is in comparison to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I don't know if SNPA uses mosaic hops but the overall character of the hops flavor is similar to my palate. The Founders is maybe a little more bitter and grassy. The finish especially seems a little flatter and drier than SNPA. My hunch is I would like this better with food, although what food I couldn't say. Seafood maybe?

10. swenny916

swenny916 Defender (623) Jan 3, 2010 Illinois
    Society Trader

Second beer on this nice Saturday was drank while enjoying a some apps on a nice patio in the Chicago north suburbs.

War Pigs/Three Floyds Foggy Geezer

[​IMG]

3.98/5 rDev 0%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Drank in a pint glass on draft.

L- Nice golden color with just a little cloud.

S- Floral smell, very pleasant.

T- The first taste was very fruity. Couldn't pick up anything in particular. Mango was present on the aftertaste.

F- Just a normal soft, easy to drink beer.

Overall this was a very nice beer. Easy to drink and lots of great flavor. I didn't notice much malt at all, and this reminded me of Todd the Axeman by Surly.

11. ichorNet

ichorNet Poo-Bah (1,865) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society

My favorite is Birds of a Feather, which was quite close to the high-quality I expect from something by, say, Tree House. Hope they brew that one again soon!

12. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,486) Mar 7, 2013 Canada (QC)
    Society Trader

Nice sweater on the roadrunner there!

VABA, Premo88, jhartley and 1 other person like this.
  13. alexanderplatz

Next up another one from Founders. Refreshing, sweet, slightly tart. Light. Hardly tastes like an alcoholic beverage at all. More like a raspberry soda or a Shirley Temple, but good!

14. GRPunk

GRPunk Meyvn (1,229) Apr 5, 2007 Michigan

It was an awesome summer day in West MI. Skies were blue and temps hovered in the low 70s. It made perfect for a dune ride and beach day in Saugatuck.

In between, the family stopped at the brewery for dinner and drinks. The food was good, service so-so, and the beer quite solid. This was my "dessert." Sorry, no pics this time. Photobucket apparently doesn't like me posting links to other sites.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/11814/301022/?ba=GRPunk#review

Imperial beam me up stouty in tap at the brewery, poured into a Nonic pint ($5.50).

A- Near jet body with a thin, brown head. Not a lot of retention, but decent stick was left on the glass.

S- Big chocolate, vanilla, and coconut throughout. Roasted malt comes out later on with some warmth.

T- The chocolate, vanilla, and coconut from the aroma come through in the flavor as well. Some maple syrup-like sweetness comes out in the finish as it warms.

M- Full body. Residual sweetness kind of coats the mouth. Thick and creamy.

O- Initially I was really wowed. However, it got a little too sweet in the end. A private not is probably right for a sitting. My wife loved it. A decent sipper. I suppose it was listed as a sweet stout.

3.75 4.25 3.75 4 4

15. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,486) Mar 7, 2013 Canada (QC)
    Society Trader

Wow. That Ellison beer looks/sounds amazing!

VABA, Premo88 and superspak like this.
  16. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,391) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Hello New Beer Sunday!!!

Sorry I missed last Sunday. It wasn't because I wasn't drinking new beers - I was, a lot of them. I was just too busy talking with friends to be on here talking about them. I also had the pleasure of meeting my first fellow BA - @MonDak_Joe1953, who was kindly willing to sell me his second bottle of Wild Mind Mirabelle, if they were sold out. They still had a few left, and I bought one, and really enjoyed it when I was hanging out with friends later in the day in St. Paul, after my brewery stops.

So, now on the new beer, and I must admit, I'm really liking this after a really long work week.
    [​IMG]
    Pitchfork Brewing Cherry Stout - 7% and 41 IBU.

Yes, I am enjoying the delicious cherry flavor, whih hits on the backside. I am enjoying the 7%ABV. I like the hops that are also in it. Damn good beer.

4.2/5 rDev +4.2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours an extremely dark red color. Insane thick tan head when poured, and it wasn't an aggressive pour. The head retention is not the best, but ok, because it was so thick.
    The nose is, well, cherry. I get a nice cherry aroma on the nose, quite pleasing.
    Taste is a bit malty up front, but nice cherry on the backside. Some hoppiness also on the backside.
    Feel is a bit more watery than I would have expected, but not so much so.
    Delicious, and Pitchfork did a great job with this beer.

489 characters

I have a feeling that there will be another new beer tonight. What will it be? Maybe I might get Disgruntled.

17. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (13,004) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Ballast Point Indra Kunindra, 7% ABV, 50 IBU. Pours thick and black, with a two finger tan head that left no lacing. Nose is curry and other complimenting spices, taste follows plus pepper heat and a moderate bitter close. And something tangy, maybe lime. OK mouthfeel, overall excellent. I've wanted to try this for quite a while since I like curry - and like some curry dishes, it smells better than it tastes. Still, I'd get it again. Just noticed the matching glass, purely coincidence.

[​IMG]

18. tasterschoice62

Society Trader

Havent had it Ill be on the lookout.

Premo88 likes this.
  19. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,623) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

20. RJLarse

RJLarse Poo-Bah (1,889) Dec 30, 2005 Washington
    Society

Greetings All and a restful Labor Day Weekend.

Today we have Mount Jumbo IPA from Missoula Brewing.
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/43439/237998/
    A very well balanced IPA.

On this weekend where we celebrate the fruits of our labor, I labor on. Finishing up a few summer projects started weeks ago. But with time for a beer or two along the way

Until next time,

Happy Trails!
    [​IMG]

21. aoampm

aoampm Champion (854) Apr 26, 2014 Hawaii
    Trader

What's cracking NBS? Got a couple new brews lined up. One is special, the other not so much. I'm starting with the latter and while not mind blowing at all it still is a very enjoyable beverage.
    [​IMG]
    Modern Times Ice - A pilsener clocking in at 4.8% ABV

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Pint can poured into a pint glass.

Look is of a typical Pilsener. Straw colored and very clear. Plenty of carbonation and a light bubbly head.

Smell is of some hoppy straw and wheat. Some banana and clove in there also.

Taste is light apple, malty wheat, lemon, and a skunky grainy cracker flavor. Pretty nice.

Feel is of a crisp and refreshing beer. Not much body to it.

Overall a nice take on a pilsener. I admittedly don't drink many pilseners so take my review with a grain of salt.

3.89/5 rDev 0%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I think this may be the first time I've had my ratings end up being the exact average. I guess I did well on my review for once :rolling_eyes:??

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Cheers all and I'll be back soon!

22. jhartley

jhartley Poo-Bah (2,833) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

Here's the story behind that...

VABA, FFFjunkie, Premo88 and 6 others like this.
  23. tasterschoice62

Society Trader

1. Cellar selection. Vintage 2015. This is off the charts good. Caramel, toffee, bourbon, vanilla, fig, brown sugar-but not too sweet. Head gorgeous and retention superb, lacing excellent.World class drinking right now and I cant help myself from drinking 11.6% quickly.[​IMG][​IMG]I've had this before. And honestly just copied and pasted from WBAYDN. Ive held this for two years. Perfection right now. So damn good. Sorry for "cheating"!

24. aoampm

aoampm Champion (854) Apr 26, 2014 Hawaii
    Trader

Alrighty as promised coming back at ya with something I've been meaning to try for a very long time.
    [​IMG]
    St. Bernadus Abt 12 clocking in at 10% ABV

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

12 oz bottle poured into a Teku. Not sure of the bottle date.

Pours a dark and murky amber color. Finger head with good amount of carbonation. Some visible sediment at the bottom.

Smell is huge on the plum and dark fruit! Some nice spice in there also.

Taste is much of the same. A caramel and grape combined with plum and almost a licorice spice to it. A lovely malt flavor to it also. More dark fruits and even some apple is detectable. Lovely.

Feel is typical of a world class quad. Drinks like a meal and is a sipping beer. Thick and chewy with little carbonation.

Overall an incredible offering right here! Can't believe I've waited so long to try this. One of the best Quads I've had thus far and truly a world class beer.

4.74/5 rDev +7.2%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Cheers all!

25. Prager62

Prager62 Poo-Bah (2,239) May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

One last entry as I park my tired stuffed behind on the couch for some college football. It was a nice evening to grill and now I'm in the mood for some dessert. Let's open this pint can of Fakie New England session style pale ale with pineapples from Windmill in Dyer IN that I purchased at the brewery release last Thursday. The abv. is 5.5% and the IBU's 30. I'm pouring this in my heavily used 12oz. trusty tulip glass.

It pours a semi hazy pale yellow producing a small finger of soapy white foam. It rapidly settles revealing a little lacing. The smell is fresh pineapple, floral and malt. Taste is pineapple forward along with some orange zest, floral notes and a slight peppery spice in the finish. The feel is very light and thin with a slightly bitter dry finish.

I'll be upfront in saying I'm not big on the session style, but decided to give this a whirl because Windmill has been brewing some outstanding beer. It's a pretty good change of pace lower abv. brew that has a nice pineapple and slightly floral taste. I'll grab a fresh four pack to pound whenever it's released. My score is 3.85 / rDev +4.1%.

You can stick a fork in me tonight after a skillet of mac and cheese to accompany a NY strip.

Enjoy your holiday tomorrow, let's do this again next week! Here's the official scorecard.....

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/41990/286117/?ba=Prager62#review

26. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (2,604) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good Evening NBS
    It's late as I joined my new crew for a 6a-6p shift today and for the next three days. My curiosity was peaked for this beer when I saw the #2 placing in the 2016 Paste blind Oktoberfest. This particular can would have placed as well, but variations happen.

[​IMG]

16oz canned July 2017 poured into a.5L krug at fridge temp 4.6% ABV. The beer pours bright and a lighter golden shade of copper. The head is khaki and short lived. No lacing. The aroma is bready and not sweet. The taste is full, bready and then a touch of caramel. Not overly sweet. Mouthfeel is thin bodied, well carbonated and finishes not dry enough. There is a bitter (not hops but seltzer like carbonation) finish along with a bit of oily/soapy aftertaste. Overall, good, but not what I expected having seen this place #2 overall in the 2016 Paste Magazine blind Oktoberfest tasting. It's a good value at $7/4pack at Aldi, but not a repeat purchase for me.

This is my 19th unique Oktoberfest review this season and I'm really surprised how many are flawed to my expectations. I chose to review as many (of one fresh style) as possible to really see if I am, in any way, consistent with my scoring and comments. I'm not, but it's a learning experience.

Enjoy the new beer in your mug and thanks for listening! :beers::beers::beers:

27. Victory_Sabre1973

Society Trader

Ok, I'm Disgruntled! I was asked, for the second time today, if I was the original owner of my business, a business that started in 1948 - a full 25 years before I was born. I either really look good for 100, or really bad for 44.

Either way, I'm Disgruntled.

[​IMG]
    Disgruntled Brewing Toasted Blonde.

HOLY CRAP!!!!! First off: how the hell does Minneapolis get Disgruntled Brewing crawlers, when my central MN home (which Disgruntled would have to pass through to deliver to Minneapolis) not get it?

This is a crying shame in my book. I'm willing to travel the 2 hours to get there, by the time I got off work, and I go there, it would be well past the 10 pm legal cut off for crawler sales. At least if I've got a serious Disgruntled fix, I can take the hour drive, after work, to Minneapolis, for Disgruntled crawlers. I just wish I remembered more about the crowler I had last Sunday with my friend, besides it was amazing.

Anyone traveling to Minnesota needs to try to get Disgruntled.

[​IMG]

28. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (2,711) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Jigsaw from Bearded Iris crowler poured into glass , filled last weekend

Hazy golden yellow , pencil thin white foam head , some lacings , settles to white ring

Aroma of tropical fruits pineapple, mango , passion fruit

Taste of tropical and citrus

Fizzy micro carbonation

Good beer

29. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,349) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

And that's all the fun! Nice self-realization, and one I know I mirror, though I try...

jkblr likes this.
  30. cjgiant

Society

Always look on the bright side of life (if I could post videos, assume I added the Life of Brian video here), that you look good for 100 (or that people don't realize how old the company is) :slight_smile:

I'll help by linking your review in an attempt to not disgruntle you more :grinning:

31. Victory_Sabre1973

Society Trader

OOPS! I thought I copied it into my post. My bad. Thank you.

VABA, Premo88 and cjgiant like this.
  32. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,973) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

[​IMG]
    The hard-drinking Ray Milland plays @cavedave in "The Lost Weekend 2: Recovery in Time for NBS" :rofl:

That's crazy Harvey crawled his sorry ass all the way your way. I think we see a little of it in @TongoRad's photo from the Bethel Woods Harvest Fest. (?) Either way, Harvey is welcome to piss off and never come back and take his sister Irma with him, too. Jerks!

I'm way behind but just opened a New Half-Growler Full of American IPA and ready to catch up:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Blackwater Draw's Gringo IPA
    [​IMG]
    the beer menu — Gringo IPA listed here as a "White IPA"

It is very pale, arguably SRM 1 or 2, but other than that, there's not much "white" about it. There is much American IPA about it, and, man, that first pour is what it's all about with these hoppy stateside brews. Grapefruit bomb goes off in my kitchen, and all I want to do is smell it! :scream::heart_eyes: There's also a lot of what I always call "green" in the hoppy beers, grass, cilantro and pine ... real green pine ... but the super fresh grapefruit leads the way. The flavor is identical with an added layer of sweet biscuit malt, very Lone Pint Yellow Rose-esque, cutting down the sharpness of the bitter bite. At 52 IBUs, you'd think it was in the mid-20s. Lots of malt. But the beer is either super fresh (which it should be based on BWD's lineup) or very well made or both, because that big load of malt is adding without muddling. It's not a caramely mess ... it's super tasty sweet hop juice.

The review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/33495/301025/?ba=Premo88#review
    4.32 (no rDev yet ... I just added the beer to the database and mine is review No. 1)

Blackwater Draw scores big points for the two half growlers I had them fill this weekend. Since they began canning, I've mistakenly thought of them as mediocre, but the lowest I've scored any of their stuff is 3.58 with everything else 3.8 or above. That's solid, and I plan on bringing more of these BWD half growlers to share with you boys and girls.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I got a lot of catching up to do in here ... looking forward to reading y'all's hard work!:smiley:

Cheers!

33. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (3,307) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Firestone Walker Parabola

If anyone is on the fence about joining the NBS BIF, this beauty came to me courtesy of a generous BA that participates and simply posed the question in the sign-up thread "Anyone not try Parabola yet?" The BIF closes for entry tonight. Just saying.

Anyhow.... This 2017 bottle pours a dark, rich brown that approaches black, with a fat finger of dark tan head that leaves modest lacing.

Big aroma of wood, dark chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, distant cherry and earthy hops.

Earthy, almost tobacco-like taste with bitter chocolate and hops, a hint of marshmallow underneath and a strong alcohol burn on the backend.

Thinner bodied than expected, but still with a full, mildly creamy feel that coats the mouth, and just enough carbonation.

I put this squarely in the "not effing around" category of BBA stouts. Dark and rich from start to finish. Absolutely delicious. Thanks, @SammyJaxxxx, for the opportunity.

34. JBowenGeorgia

JBowenGeorgia Crusader (735) Sep 1, 2016 Georgia
    Trader

What a day it has been! Started the day off standing in the room where the Declaration of Independence and Constitution were signed, that was a little overwhelming. Checked that one off the bucket list.
    Spent the rest of the morning walking through Philly admiring the archtecture, pretty amazing to this old country boy. Don't see how city folks deal with the traffic though.
    Anyway, finally got to hit Tired Hands, knocked that off my beer bucket list.
    First up was Eviscerated Pathway of Beauty.

Pineapple orange juice appearance, thin white head that left some lacing. Man this beer smelled wonderful to me, tropical fruits, citrus. Taste followed pineapple, orange, grapefruit with a touch of dankness there too.
    Feels slick, smooth with a medium carbonation. Overall a great hazy Citra DIPA if you're into those, I am.
    Also had Daydreaming of Indiscriminate Human Extinction

Appearance nearly identical to the first, smell was a bit sweeter, the dank hop flavor was a bit more pronounced. Another tasty one!
    Alien Church

This one was a bit lighter in color, nose was similar to the other two. Taste was juicy, pineapple, mango, a hint of blueberry. Smooth drinking as the others were.
    Overall a great brewery and the cinnamon roll was amazing!

35. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon

Good evening and happy New Brewery-to-me Sunday! Thanks for the wonderful opening, Doc, and for this Labor Day weekend, the Lingenbrau family decided to labor our asses off! Enjoying 'Chapter 2' after a week into getting settled in, we decided to go exploring the beautiful Forest Park. So after fighting for a parking spot to enter Lower Mcleary Trail only to find it was closed, we walked ourselves silly through the NW neighborhoods (which are insanely beautiful by the way) to detour to Wildwood Trail instead. Finally made it to the cottage and the creek, had a little lunch, then made our way home for our first hosted barbecue at the new homestead...after putting the god damn barbecue together of course!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoyed a few beers with the family, and currently enjoying this:

Silver Moon Brewing
    Chapter 2-
    Casual Ale

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A: Pours a lovely and inviting golden color with a lively white head that dissipates and leaves low retention.

A: Instantly smells like a session IPA despite (or well suited) it's "Casual Ale" title. Honeydew melon, blueberry, citrus, pine, and some bready biscuit goodness.

T: Taste follows, blending each note seemlessly together. Light and grainy sweetness lead and follow through on this dance.

F: Exceptionally light feeling, crisp, medium carbonation and we'll balanced. A very fitting title to this easy drinking beer.

O: I wish I had brought this beer on the hike. A very easy beer to drink and well suited for any type of beer drinker. Clearly meant for all day consumption at 4.7% abv and 30 ibu, this beer is a winner for those marks. May very well see this one frequently during the warm summer months.

Cheers everyone, and I will see you all soon!

After my official review, I gave this beer a rating of 4.05, with an rDev of +0.7%.

#155 Lingenbrau, Sep 4, 2017
  36. alexanderplatz

My 3rd new beer of the day. Floral, tart, tangy. Mild finish makes it quaffable. I like this much more than the Founder's Mosaic I had earlier. I totally understand why the masses don't drink extra-hoppy and bitter beers but an ale like this tastes like it could be a hit with everybody from the beer nerds to my mother in law (who knows a thing or two about beer).

37. LeRose

LeRose Poo-Bah (1,526) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

Good evenng, LNNBS. Still Sunday by the clock. Nothing much beyond a lazy day around the kingdom,se here is the beer:

[​IMG]

Pours straw colored, very slightly hazy, lucious head that falls to a thin layers, laces pretty nicely. Smells very inviting. Cracker and bread, floral component is pretty strong, peppery spice, mild citrus. The taste more or less follows, with this stopping just short of being a pilsener. Nice, clean bready taste, a little bitter early on, then a very nice layer of floral hops that is very aromatic...almost perfume. Just a bit f rang, a nice level of peppery spice, bitter comes at the end but nicely tempered by the malts. It is to the lighter side of medium, cabonation appropriate, a bit of a citrus and spicy aftertaste lingers pleasantly. Not super-refreshing, but very solid and enjoyable to drink.

Very good brew here in the style of a Kolsch. This will come in around 4.0 - 4.2 I think when all is said and done. Recommended.

38. Kb024

Kb024 Initiate (141) Jun 11, 2015 California
    Trader

Thorn... Relay ipa...with Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial, Citra. Really good.
    [​IMG]

HoppingMadMonk, Squire, VABA and 10 others like this.
  39. cjgiant

Society

Okay, I tried to see if I could create a new thing... (spoiler alert: I failed)

[​IMG]

Tried adding a few salts to the basil [watermelon] beer that was so odd from The Farm Brewery at Broad Run. Though I say "fail" there were some interesting outcomes. Less than half the salts I added were drain pour bad. The more "regular" salt added a softness that distracted from the weirdness, but was "obvious" in its (read: my) attempt.

The smoked salts (first off - I've had these a while, the fact they still have a potent smokiness is surprising (to me) and were more interesting, thought the Carolina hickory was too overpowering (in the equal volumes I added them). I think the apple wood was nice, and actually made an interesting (though lightly smoked) beer.

It should be noted the GF disagrees with everything I have just said and thinks what I am have done is a crime against humanity.

Anyhow, hope you enjoy my transgression of true NBS for this late night post. Cheers, either way!

#159 cjgiant, Sep 4, 2017
  40. zid

zid Meyvn (1,242) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

The sequence of your pictures looks like a storyboard for a commercial for that beer (especially with that can art).

TongoRad, Premo88 and Lingenbrau like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.