New Beer Sunday (Week 686)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lordofthewiens, Apr 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (4,413) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Premium

Let’s talk about relationships today. I consider myself an expert, since I’ve been married three times (four if you count remarrying my first wife). The first things I learned were don’t marry in haste and don’t marry too young. I was nineteen years old when I got married. That’s way too young, but at least I got two beautiful daughters out of that relationship (talk about feeling old; my oldest daughter is 50). Then I learned not to marry on the rebound. That’s a sure recipe for disaster. Right now I am married to an absolutely fantastic woman. I’ve known her for almost twenty years, having worked together in our local hospital, and we’ve been married for six years. She’s intelligent, witty, and has an amazing sense of humor. To quote Jack Nicholson from the movie As Good As It Gets, “she makes me want to be a better man.” It has taken me many, many years to realize the simple fact that you should really know and respect the person you’re with. I know now, what I didn’t know when I was younger, that I have found that perfect (for me) person.

Speaking of relationships, how is your relationship with your beer. Are the two of you getting along? Maybe today is the time to TRY a new beer and to TELL us about it. How does it look? How does it smell? How does it taste? How does it feel in your mouth? What is your overall impression? Are you fulfilled or do you need to diversify your tastes?

2. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (4,110) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Premium

@lordofthewiens - I woke up this morning about to write an intro and realized it wasn’t my week :anguished:

Good thing I checked, but I hope our relationship as stewards of this thread could survive such a faux pas.

Good morning, NBS! Hope you have some good NEW beers as you rush to get your taxes done!!

3. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,542) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

New Beer Sunday: A new APA

Mornin’ NBSers with an alert for fans of APAs that have noticeable but not overwhelming citric flavors. Also special thanks to @lordofthewiens for today’s start up.

Well after a couple of days of sunny weather and high temperatures near 80, today’s weather is expected to be about 30 degrees cooler with clouds along with some rain and drizzle throughout most all of the day.

Relationships, eh? Currently my relationship with my wife and our three children is one of equality but with recognition of differences that may require adjustment and adaptation. (E.g., Currently, my wife and I have an equal division of labor, I make the money, she spends it. :wink: I've adjusted and adapted to that. :sunglasses:)

Seriously though my current relationship barometer is our kids. Each of the three seems to respect the others, they get along with each other and seem to enjoy each other’s company but respect the desire for some privacy. They all seem to have good friendships with at least some of their peers. As they have matured my wife and I have seemed to have known/understood/learned when to give them space and when to rein them in. So I guess we must have been doing some things right. (At least we hope that they will all feel that way.)

This morning’s new beer is an APA from Brooklyn Brewing called Naranjito.

As usually my review, subject to revision until I finish this beer, can be found here:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/45/58206/?ba=drtth#review

Well, I guess my relationship with this beer is one of appreciation of its better qualities. The beer is all about balance and orange. The aromas/flavors are noticeable and pleasant, but not intense (sometimes I don't like having my taste buds beaten up by a beer). There’s citrus with orange and some orange zest. There’s also a bit of biscuity sweetness and some pleasant and moderate bitterness throughout and into the nicely dry ending. So all the aromas/flavors are have a good relationship with each other. The orange may be in the leading role, but the orange and orange zest are not overriding or concealing the other aromas and flavors. I'll definitely be having more of this APA.

Cheers, all!

#3 drtth, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    LeRose, LeperJim, meefmoff and 50 others like this.
  4. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,529) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Cheers you all! "If I'm doing all the talking then it's me I really love" is my famous motto concerning relationships. Today I have New Belgium Sour Saison. Happy New Sour Saison Sunday!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This beer poured hazy with a white head of Belgian style foam that lasted well and clung with lace. The appearance is a 4. The lace after the foam popped and fell was that good. We often talk about what we can tick down as reviewers but how about when to tick up. When you see something exemplary tick it up. Light lemon tart nose with crisp cracker malts and cookie dough. Lemony herbal funk with peppery spice. Funk and pepper. Drinks with a bubbly body and little bitterness at the end. Herbs and crisp cracker. A sour funk. Finishes not 100% dry but with a light sweetness and breaddy bubbles. Light tartness in the finish.

LeRose, keithmurray, Act25 and 57 others like this.
  5. lordofthewiens

Premium

I've done the same thing. I finally figured out if it's an even-numbered week, it's my turn.
    And yes, our relationship could survive such a faux pas.

LeperJim, MacMalt, Premo88 and 17 others like this.
  6. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (2,224) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

[​IMG]
    14ER Brewing - Mt Massive IPA
    6.5% ABV

Relationships — I remained single until I married my one and only wife when I was 29 years old, 12 years later we’re still married and I am blessed to have met someone who can put up with me.

Today I’m trying a new beer from a new brewery. I’ll get straight to the point — I don’t care for it much because it tastes like a session ipa yet it’s at 6.5%. There is a thinness and woody astringency about it. I took the photo after drinking half of it to show how flat it looks. Most of the smell and taste is dominated by pine and cedar, only in the aroma does anything resembling fruit come out (pineapple, mango).

Overall, not my cup of tea, just wanting more balance, and this one leaves a very sharp, bitter aftertaste that I’m not keen on.

LeRose, IDABEERGUY, LeperJim and 50 others like this.
  7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,619) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Did you like the candy SweeTARTS when you were a kid?

Well, I did. I also thought that it was intriguing how they were able to combine sweetness and sour in the same candy. Which brings us to today’s beer: Cape May Corrosion. Now the brand name of Corrosion may not get you thinking SweeTARTS but bear with me here.

First, what does Cape May Brewing have to say about this beer? On the back of the can:

“Profile:

Opening with massive aromas of fresh citrus and tropical fruits, Corrosion hits with a firm hop presence accentuated by an upfront acidity. Kettle-soured before finishing as an IPA. Corrosion is uniquely balanced between to world of sours and the world of hops.”

Now, doesn’t that get you thinking SweeTARTS? Or is it just me?

As the old saying goes “the proof is in the pudding” so Let’s Drink!!

Served in my Gulden Draak tulip glass:

Appearance:

A hazy light golden color with a two fingerl white head which dissipates rather quickly.

Aroma:

The first thing that hits me is tropical fruit. There is some citrus in the background.

Taste:

The flavor follows the nose with tropical fruit flavors. There is also a spritzy tartness as well.

Mouthfeel:

Medium - light bodied with tangy sharpness in the finish.

Overall:

I think this beer is very good! I enjoyed drinking it. I would think this would be a nice beer for summertime drinking.

Cheers to the folks of Cape May Brewing for producing a tasty SweeTART beer!!

@KOP_Beer_OUtlet @rotsaruch @JValm @brianhink @IPAExpert69

And the song to listen to when drinking this beer: This Corrosion!

[​IMG]

8. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (3,175) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire

Nice opening Doc @lordofthewiens and yes you are playing way out of your league, a lovely lady indeed. My first new beer thanks to Doc himself is a incredible roasty imperial stout.[​IMG] [​IMG] Pours a very dark near pitch black with a massive 2 plus finger head that leaves plenty of thick patches of lace behind as slowly settles into a thick ring of bubbles. 4.5

Smell is roasty dry coffee, dark chocolate, biscuity grain, vanilla bean, and toffee. 4.25

Taste follows huge strong black coffee, dark chocolate, vanilla, toffee, and biscuit in the very one dimensional finish. 4.5

Mouthfeel is pretty dark big, enough carbonation but subtle, slightly dry as you would expect, and at 10% ABV no alcohol present. 4.75

Overall this is really really excellent, what I wanted for sure. A breakfast or dessert beer and a world class one at that. Thanks Doc, you are a true gentleman! 4.5

9. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (3,101) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Good morning New BSers! Looks like we never got last night's scheduled rain here in NW PA so I don't have any excuse not to work in the yard today. Today's New Breakfast Beer comes from @beer_Economicus in NBS BIF #7 and is the Mystery Beer.

Received as “Mystery Beer” in NBS BIF #7 from
    @Beer_Economicus – Thanks Darwin!
    12 oz can dated on bottom “02/29/18”. Stored at 48 degrees and served at 48 degrees in a hand-washed and dried Jester King snifter. And I see it’s time to recalibrate the reefer.

Appearance –
    Body – Dark brown, opaque. When held to the light, a slight reddish tint is noticeable around the edges.
    Head – Large (Maximum 4.5 cm, controlled center pour), tan, dense, good retention, diminishing to a three mm ring and a thin complete layer with a few rocks. Head retraction leaves two partial wide bands of tiny to small bubbles.
    Lacing – Partial rings of open curtains.
    First pour – Medium brown, clear.
    Aroma – Dark fruit with a vinous undertone.
    Flavor – Initially a dark fruitiness with, following the nose, a vinous quality. No malt or hops flavors, no alcohol, no diacetyl, no dimethylsulfide.
    Palate – Medium, almost creamy, lively carbonation.
    Impression and summation –

OK – based on the color of the first pour, the dark fruity nose and taste, and the palate, I’ll guess a Belgian dubbel or quad, despite the lack of yeastiness.

And the answer is:

LeRose, meefmoff, LeperJim and 54 others like this.
  10. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (2,007) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

[​IMG]

A-Pours a nice semi hazy light amber color with a nice head and lacing
    A-Aroma has nice citrus and hoppy hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a nice balance of citrus and hoppy flavors
    M-A light bodied decently carbonated beer
    O-A well made refreshing beer

LeRose, IDABEERGUY, meefmoff and 46 others like this.
  11. Shanex

Shanex Champion (820) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Trader

Good morning @lordofthewiens and NBS.

Relationships, goodness me. Where do you even start? I'm mid-30s. I've had multiple relationships, girlfriends. Some Long term relationships - over a year, some lasted 6-8 months but was never married. Some hookups too, but not that many. I'm hardly a womanizer.

Nowadays many people meet ''online'', there is no shortage of dating sites and apps for us single people.

I love women, I respect women. I wouldn't call myself an expert at all, as I have never been married or have children but many of my real life peers do. You learn a thing or two listening to their stories. Their sometimes painful breakups or divorce. The children involved.

I'm not afraid of commitment nor am I afraid of being single and sometimes -- lonely. Solitude is not that awful or making me emotional anyway and is even a bit underrated. I need me-time on a daily basis.

Might be back later today with a new beer if I go out of my way, but the doc here triggered me. Sorry for venting... cheers!

#11 Shanex, Apr 15, 2018
    LeRose, Ozzylizard, meefmoff and 37 others like this.
  12. Gobearswalter34

Gobearswalter34 Meyvn (1,184) Aug 1, 2014 Illinois

Relationships...I believe I am the most fortunate man on the earth. God brought my wife and I together at the age of 18 (me) and 16 (her). We have been married for 22 years, and together for 27. She is the first and only I have even kissed! And I am not kidding you in telling you she gets more beautiful every year. I know these fairytales do not happen often anymore, nor would I advise my teenage kids to expect something like this to happen. I would tell them of the trials and tribulations that all go through can make said relationship stronger. Here's to me being the luckiest man alive with a pull from a Founders Breakfast Stout.

LeRose, meefmoff, LeperJim and 31 others like this.
  13. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,456) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

Pulling another goodie out of my BIF box from @ONUMello this morning. This is the base Russian imperial stout that sees many different barrels and added flavor releases. In fact, one of those variants was the reason for a trade of mine not too long ago. I'm excited to visit the base stout. It's a good change of pace to visit simple, base beers in place of additive heavy variants.

[​IMG]

Jackie O's Dark Apparition.

Pours black with a finger of beige head that retains fairly well. Aroma is chocolate, cocoa, toffee, with a hearty backbone of roasted malts. Flavor profile has roasted malts throughout. Chocolate (both milk and dark), cocoa, toffee, and caramel add additional complexities to the flavor profile, all while remaining well balanced and simplistic. Mouth feel is medium-thick with a fine graininess, and velvety feel. Overall, it's a quality straightforward Russian imperial stout. No added flavors, or barrel use, just a good quality heavy stout.

Score: 4 | 4.25 | 4.25 | 4.25 | 4.5 | BA Score: 4.29 | rDev: +1.9%

14. VABA

I think you hit a very emotional nerve today!

Needless to say, I am happily married (and have been for twenty-six years) to a woman that does not drink beer (only tastes a bit here and there), BUT supports, some may even say encourages my hobby! :slight_smile:

15. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,128) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

[​IMG]

Jester King 2017 SPON Peach & Apricot

Happy Sunday, BAs. I have a rare quiet moment this morning, and figured there's no time like the present to pop the cork on the bottle I've been most been looking forward to in the 007 NBS BIF. It -- and the proper glassware -- came courtesy of @r0rschach.

This beauty pours a cloudy, vibrant light-orange with a finger of white head that's quick to dissipate into a thin film across the top.

It has a nice sour aroma with peaches, vinegar and oak.

It's not quite as tart and vinegary as the nose prepared me for. Some Bowie-level barnyard funkiness is in there, but the peach and apricot are relatively strong. Apricot especially lingers for a very long time in the aftertaste, mingling with the wood, such that a touch of juicy sweetness shows through the acidity.

It's much fuller bodied and creamier in the feel than expected for the style. Just enough carbonation to keep it lively upon swallowing.

This is a really well-crafted and perfectly fruity sour. To my taste, I think the Belgian classics have a little more bite, but this is certainly in the same class as anything I've had from Cantillon or 3F. Many, many thanks, John -- it's an absolute pleasure to try. 6/23/17 blending date.

LeRose, SABERG, IDABEERGUY and 51 others like this.
  16. VABA

[​IMG]

A-Pours a nice amber color with very nice head and lacing
    A-Aroma has nice subdued piney and hoppy hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a nice balance of piney and hoppy flavors
    M-A medium bodied well carbonated beer with a lot of character and a slight bitterness
    O-A well made well balanced beer

LeRose, SABERG, Act25 and 46 others like this.
  17. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (1,574) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Happy Sunday, NBS crew! @lordofthewiens as a single guy with no kids, I don’t have much to contribute to today’s theme. Although hopefully that will not be the case for too much longer. Being single has its perks...I drank all day yesterday...probably not getting away with that if you have a gf or wife. But it does get old after awhile. Almost a year single for me, so I’m ready for a change.

Onto the new brews. Starting with this gift from @larryi86 . I’ve been somewhat critical of Tired Hands lately. Their current focus on super-sweet adjunct-filled ipas has turned me off quite a bit. Thankfully this one is not sweet at all. Perhaps my new favorite from them...even better than Wish Fulfillment @larryi86 !

Lush Life - Tired Hands
    TIPA - 10.6% abv
    Canned 3/26/18 (20 days ago)
    Score: 4.48 (+3.2% rDev)

[​IMG]

L - dense 2-finger offwhite head just sits there and refuses to budge. Body is an appealing golden color.

S - grapefruit and pine. A little melon. Perhaps a bit of dankness.

T - massive grapefruit to start, mixed with some moderate dankness. Some orange and tropical fruit mixed in as well. Huge earthy middle. Chalky finish. Moderately bitter, no sweetness, not at all boozy.

F - lighter bodied than you would expect, with appropriate carb.

O - I would never have guessed this was 11%. Booze is completely hidden, and there is no sweetness at all. This one is all about the “extravagant” use of hops. This is my favorite Tired Hands brew in several years. God I hope they make this again!

Note to future self: buy full on this if they ever rebrew it.

LeRose, SABERG, Ozzylizard and 50 others like this.
  18. lordofthewiens

Premium

My new beer today is one from Allagash. They continue to put out excellent beers and I continue to imbibe them. Today it is Shiro's Delight, a "mixed fermentation ale aged on pluerries and plums." If you didn't know (like me), a pluerry is a plum/cherry hybrid.
    The beer was bottled on Jan. 25 2018, and is 9.3% Alc. by Vol.
    Gifted to me by my good friend @SomethingClever.

In a teku, the beer was a garnet color. There was a small pinkish head that retained well. Some spotty lace.
    A sweet fruit aroma, with a little bit of oak.
    Nice taste of tary cherry, plum, and oak.
    Crisp, tart mouthfeel with a mildly peppery finish.
    I highly recommend it.

[​IMG]

LeRose, Ozzylizard, SABERG and 51 others like this.
  19. cjgiant

Premium

Ok, early gym work out of the way - time for some beer! Usually I share my new beers on Sunday with my girlfriend (affectionately named GF to all those WBAYDN followers), but she is visiting family so I get this one all to myself. Maybe it's age and/or maturity (those who know me might doubt the latter), but my current relationship feels like it has almost all of the things previous ones were missing. Nobobdy's perfect - including your's truly, which is something I learned with maturity (and I hope she's not reading this AM) - but it seems we can tolerate each other's imperfections quite easily.

Anyhow, let's see if my new beer is perfect or has imperfections, and if I can tolerate them. I had the barrel-aged version of this a couple weeks back. There were some good and bad aspects of that beer, but I ended up liking the quirky thing well enough. Let's see if the base beer is a bit more straightforward...
    [​IMG]

The beer streams from the bottle a clear dark brown. Filling the glass's void seems to darken it even more, but you can see the auburn nature at the edges still. The mocha tan head is fairly creamy, and the hop etching on my SN glass keeps a creamy cap for a while (though without it, I think I'd have just a thick collar). Each tip flashes a curtain of bubbles on the far glass wall, but that curtain rises and falls with the angle of the glass.

Smells like a mix of cola, roasted malt, and coffee. There's a very slight grain husk or woody accent that seems a tad weird in some whiffs. I might be anticipating a slightly bitter-leaning roasty beer with the coffee perhaps boosting the bitter side a tad based on the nose.

Taste actually does hit with a little more malt sweetness up front than the nose led me to believe. Then a bakers chocolate and cola swirl washes that away to bring the coffee/roasted flavor and bitterness I was originally expecting. Fairly smooth like its BBA variant, it does have a lightness to it (maybe not quite medium). Soft, prickly carbonation. In judging this, I noticed a little tang as the beer sat on my tongue that might be from the coffee or yeast although it's not unlike a flavor I get from barrels at times - and maybe that explains that part of the nose.

I see @imbibehour reviewed this, and I think we are pretty close on many aspects. I don't get as much sweetness as he does. His mention of licorice I can maybe see (in the sense of good licorice), but what hit home that I didn't mention is this part:
    I think that line is the best quick summation of this beer and how the coffee appears to influence the base style.

Edit: listening to Jimi Hendrix Experience's Electric Ladyland inspired by @cavedave's WBAYDN post yesterday (I think it was).

LeRose, SABERG, keithmurray and 55 others like this.
  20. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (2,209) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

I saw what you did there, Craig! See you a bit later with a new beer. Cheers!

Premo88, TongoRad, strohme2 and 7 others like this.
  21. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,416) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

New English Barleywine Sunday (Week 686)
    Greetings fellow NBSers, from on the ridge in Mid Hud Val, NY, on a day when I woke early and saw some flakes falling. Okay, I know SD and Minn. are getting bombed, and there isn't a flake to see anywhere here now, but it is cold, and those flakes spotted at 4:30 convinced me today is the day for this BA BW I have been staring at since receiving in BIF 7 from @richj1970. He took the time to do a little research, and noticed I love to switch up styles and am in love with all of them, so he sent a wonderful variety I am gonna be sad to finish. Thanks, man.

Realationships? Hmmm, not so touchy a subject for me as it was not so long ago. Two marriages, almost opposites of each other (purposely) and neither worked out, though one hung on for almost twenty five years, including the years we lived together pre-marriage. Many girlfriends, some with whom I fell in love despite warning bells, and others who fell in love with me, inexplicably, and their warning bells should have gone off. I love my children, now three grown men, so that is the beauty and love of romance and marriage preserved. Had a woman making a play for me when I was about to retire at work last year, she was pretty forward about it, and I had an epiphany that I don't think I can stand to have to accommodate anyone, nor force them to accommodate me, at this point. So very happy to be relationship free for the rest of the ride. I do love hearing success stories, though.

Fairhope V Anniversary Rye Barrel Barley Wine
    [​IMG]
    Alcohol spice, bright whiskey notes, light vanilla, tasty caramel and light toffee, some roasty grain, with light herbal bitter hop notes behind, make a medium strength and complex, tasty aroma.

Med. strength taste, with all the flavors of the nose brightly present. Alcohol spice kicks back but the roastier and more bitter notes come forward. Toffee and dark caramel balance well, and the sip ends with those notes joined by increasing (hop?) bitter.

Solid middle ground for all the mouthfeel characteristics for style, and a decent finish that is a little hoppy for style, but plays well with the other flavors.

Is it in league with the best BA Barley Wines? No. Is it a delicious, well crafted treat that I highly recommend? Absolutely. Quite delicious, and this bottle will be gone pretty quickly.

Hope you also have a Great American Beer in your glass. Cheers!

22. cjgiant

Premium

HA! - I saw your post with probably 1 minute left in the edit window. I decided to not try to fix it :blush:

23. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Defender (640) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Thank you for the thoughtful start to this mornings NBS @lordofthewiens !

Relationships are a funny thing. I won’t touch too much on the marital one but I’d like to touch on some different relationships.

By and large the community here at BA is awesome to say the least. I know distance is usually an obstacle for most people maintaining friendships. I have met some incredible people here and my experience is that with some of you fine folks I’ll get a better shake than with my own family.

Some of you I’ve met in person and others not. I do have a trip to plan revolving around ba handshake ticks. I’m not sure when but it’s coming.

So without further ado here is a beauty from @thebeers that has shed some light on what is an awful day weather wise.

So, thank you Arthur and @Sixpoint for this very well done porter!

LeRose, SABERG, Ozzylizard and 52 others like this.
  24. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,949) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

The principle thing I've learned from past relationships is to maintain my sense of humor.

This little guy looks like a cheerful companion . . .

[​IMG]

Dark brownish black color with tan cap and good lacing.

Aroma of dark caramel and toffee with a brightness in the background that I ascribe to hops.

Flavor is rich, almost meaty, roasted malt that smells sweet but drinks dry. Some layers here with elements of ripe dark stone fruit and figs, a touch of cocoa and coffee, yet hops are present from the start and balance the malt nicely. There's almost a lightness, a lifting up so to speak, from the hop influence (35 IBU) that prevents the whole from becoming heavy yet the overall flavor is full and complex, the gears meshing together and the result is refreshing. Don't taste or scent alcohol (8%) but do notice it's effect.

Full texture with balancing carbonation.

Outstanding Imperial Schwartz beer that sings with a full voice.

LeRose, Ozzylizard, Act25 and 51 others like this.
  25. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (5,697) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Trader

Nice start to NBS this week @lordofthewiens, going to the store later on to find something new for today.

Cheers!

Premo88, TongoRad, FFFjunkie and 11 others like this.
  26. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Champion (829) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey

The lost Abbey serpent stour
    ..solid black color
    ..above average body, mild amount of carbonation
    ..aroma is roasted malt, alcohol,followed by some roasted coffee beans and cocoa
    ..taste is almost identical, alcohol comes through first followed by the roasted malt. As it warms and you get more into the subtle flavors the coffee and cocoa appear
    ..ovetall it was definitely above average and very enjoyable,just one to be sipped slowly[​IMG]

27. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,416) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

That shit goes down way too easy. Can get you in trouble. Yes, from experience.

28. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,079) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Premium Trader

Good Morning Gentlemen.
    I see we have an example of how important "communication" is in relationships. :wink:

29. 2beerdogs

Premium Trader

^^^Meant to quote.

30. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Champion (829) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey

@cavedave that's why I stopped at half the bottle. For such high abv it goes down very easy

31. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (3,175) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire

[​IMG] [​IMG] Poured aggressive just above room temperature into a 16 oz Snulip glass 2018 vintage Limited Release blend. Pours a very attractive slick black with a very attractive 2 finger light brown head that settles rather quickly leaving thin patches of lace behind. 4.25

Smell is remarkably complex coconut, cinnamon, coffee ground, dates, dark chocolate, oaky vanilla, and maybe a hint of Barrel alcohol. 4.5

Taste follows coconut, cinnamon, roasty coffee, vanilla, currants, chocolate, Oak, and a little hint of alcohol. 4.5

Mouthfeel is a tad bigger than medium, very gentle carbonation, a tad dry and slightly sticky, and unfortunately they didn’t say the ABV so I can’t tell you. Guessing around 11% and drinks that way, but because of all the different flavors it goes down quicker than it should. Previous versions were 10.5 and 12 so this is a BIG beer. 4.25

Overall this is a beer geeks dream, a extremely complex blend that just overwhelms the palate and makes you pick up different tastes sip after sip. Thanks @GreenBayBA for this amazing blended stout. 4.5

32. kemoarps

kemoarps Meyvn (1,199) Apr 30, 2008 Washington
    Trader

Oh, the irony...
    :wink:

#32 kemoarps, Apr 15, 2018
  33. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (1,574) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

New beer #2. Thanks @RedhawkPoke !

Deconstructed Bomb (Coffee) - Prairie
    Imperial Stout - 11.8% abv
    Score: 4.4 (+5% rDev)

[​IMG]

L - 1-finger mocha head atop a pitch black body.

S - strong good coffee, roast, a little chocolate, caramel.

T - perfectly brewed coffee. The roast is very prominent. Some sweet caramel. Mildly bitter, mildly sweet, no booze.

F - medium-full body and low carb.

O - love the coffee they used here. It’s a one-dimensional brew, but that’s the point.

34. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (1,795) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Premium Trader

My relationships are solid, with friends and family. You get out of a relationship what you put it in to it. Celebrated my birthday with my family and wanted to try a special beer from a brewery that I have heard of but never tasted. I submit below my ratings fro Jester King's Das WunderKind! Der WunderLlama HAD to try a beer with that moniker.

4.02/5 rDev -0.5%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Large bottle poured into chalice

Opened on my birthday

Der WunderLlama should be drinking Das Wunderkind heute!!

One finger white foam cap over hazy golden yellow

Aroma of tartness , yeast, straw, grass

Gentle tartness, slight lemoniness,

Good sudsing

Good beer

35. Blackop555

Blackop555 Meyvn (1,193) Dec 12, 2016 Michigan
    Premium Trader

[​IMG]

Thank you @Dragginballs76 i like how it's not as intense of a hop bomb as some ne ipa. Good to switch it up once in a while.

Seminar brewing ds3

4.3/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours pale brownish yellow. Short, foamy white head that fades fast.

Smells tropical, mango, papaya, light pineapple, grapefruit and peach.

Tastes mango, papaya, peach, melon and orange. Followed by grapefruit, pineapple and light spicy yeast. Finish is semi dry with citrus Linger. Medium body and creamy medium carbonation.

LeRose, Ozzylizard, kemoarps and 38 others like this.
  36. lordofthewiens

Premium

May the Schwartz be with you!

37. 2beerdogs

Premium Trader

Relationships. Hmm. I've had some interesting ones. (That's diplo-speak). I hold no ill will toward any of my exes. And as far as I know, none of them live in Texas. :smile:
    My wife and I originally dated in our early 20's. We both went to the same community college but only met by chance. Her family is pretty traditional (Mexican traditional) and the girls in the family didn't even really date in high school.

Well, her eldest sister was taking a few classes at the college, something her father didn't seem to see the purpose of. He advised her to work. This sister ended up taking Sociology with a teacher who had quickly become my mentor, almost a second father. He had an interesting background. He was brought up on the Ramah Reservation in New Mexico. His father was German and Irish, his mother Mexican and Apache. So he was always the outsider. Went into the Navy at 17, Vietnam, crazy shit on gunboats up rivers in a country that was not Vietnam, doing shit that the government denies. Came home, got arrested in San Diego. Dad drove out and bailed him out. He described it as time to get it together. Started going to school. Long story short, he became an anthropology teacher.

He took a serious liking to my wife's older sister. Not in that way.:smile: My sister-in-law is an old soul. People gravitate to her. He said she reminded him so much of his mother. He tried talking her into joining a class he taught that ran over the whole spring break. It was a class on the Hopi and the Navajo, where the culmination of the class was a trip to both reservations, with a focus on the issues surrounding the "joint use area." An ingenious plan the Feds came up with to sow conflict into these neighboring groups. There was no way in hell her parents would let her go on a trip with a bunch of college students. Her mom said, "You have a bed here." He took it upon himself to go talk to my now mother in law. He spoke Spanish and must have worked magic. I'm sure there was some choice words regarding "protecting her honor" involved. So she went on the trip. And that's how her sister Lety and I became friends.

Which was the only way I had a shot at dating her sister. I had Lety's endorsement...So the mom saw past the long hair, ear rings, and leather jacket. She seemed to be ok with me. In later years she told me she "saw my soul." I'm glad cuz the exterior scared off a lot of other girls' parents.

We dated for almost a year, but exterior forces were putting stress on us. We broke up by the railroad track that bisect our town. We needed distance for a while. But eventually we would start having a little contact. We remained friends, albeit at a safe distance, chatting occasionally. Sometimes I'd write her from my travels in Latin America.

I had become a teacher and was planning my next summer trip, Brazil. We were talking on the phone when I happened to mention that I had cut my hair. I had worn it long for over 15 years. She thought i was pulling her leg. She said we had to get together before I took off. She said we should get together at a local sushi place that my brother and I frequented, but she had yet to try. She specifically mentioned to bring my brother...still needed that clear boundary I thought, "She definitely doesn't want me to get the wrong idea."

Well she surprised me by bringing her older sister, Lety. I had not seen her in years. So Lety and I sat between Isa (my wife) and me. Most of the evening was spent talking to Lety. Oh and an ex-girlfriend showed up to make it a little strange as well.:crazy_face:

So to make this long story shorter. We hung out, went to a few places, had a few drinks, and said goodnight. End of story, or so I thought. My brother knew that I always felt like SHE was the only one I could settle down with. The one that got away. Well, my phone rings at 2 am. It's Isa. She said that her sisters, especially Lety, had been bugging her all night. "What about you two?" So at their prodding. She dialed. She admitted that she had picked up the phone and began to dial at least a dozen times before she finally let it ring.

We talked. We laughed about how many times we had misread each other in our defensiveness through the years. We agreed to try a date when I got back from Brazil. The date went well. The same woman I had known so many years ago had grown in age, beauty, wisdom, purpose, and strength. I was done. Within 9 months, I (Mr fear of Commitment) popped the question. This was 14 years after we had broken up by those railroad tracks.

Life takes a circuitous route and it's often bewildering. But I know, had we stayed together the first time, we would have been two totally different people. And I'm pretty happy with who we are. We have 2 smart, caring, amazing daughters. Her family welcomed me back like a long lost son and all seems whole.

Sorry, that was long.

LeRose, Ozzylizard, kemoarps and 37 others like this.
  38. laketang

laketang Savant (948) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Premium

Central Waters Rum Barrel Coconut Porter

Mahogany in color with a slight tan head
    No lacing
    Scents of wood char, rum and coconut.
    Sherry-like
    Tasted boozy, i like boozy
    I kept thinking of those boose filled chocolate cherry candies.anyways...
    My mouthfeel was medium-heavy
    Dry on the back end.
    I think this is made to drink around the time of purchase, but some will age it.

4.0 4.25. 4.0 4.0 4.0

Have a nice sunday

#38 laketang, Apr 15, 2018
    LeRose, Ozzylizard, kemoarps and 36 others like this.
  39. scream

scream Zealot (556) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Interesting, your rating average and mine are the same just a shade less than @GreenBayBA Good beer !

Premo88, TongoRad, FFFjunkie and 3 others like this.
  40. ONUMello

ONUMello Poo-Bah (2,319) Feb 24, 2009 Ohio
    Premium Trader

Similar to @Gobearswalter34 there's only ever been one girl for me. I was awkward and didn't go out at all in high school. Met her the first day of college, became friends, started dating our sophomore year now have been together for 12, married to my best friend in the world for 8.

Still working through @Bum4ever's generous BIF box, I have time for one before I head to the Cavs-Pacers playoff game.

[​IMG]

16oz can poured into a tulip
    A: Orange with a touch of brown, slightly hazy, a one-finger head settles quickly
    S: Tons of fresh citrus especially orange zest, some tropical fruit and pine/herbs in the background
    T: A touch dank, lots of dried herbs along with citrus zest and pine
    M: Quite dry, medium-bodied, a touch bitter
    O: Nothing off baseline about this - a solid well-made IPA
    4 for the look, 4.25 down the rest of the line, overall just a touch above par at 4.24
    Cheers - more to come later today!

LeRose, Ozzylizard, kemoarps and 42 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.