New Beer Sunday (Week 694)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lordofthewiens, Jun 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,739) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

It's on to another new beer..

I am on IPA overload... I need to switch gears...

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass.

A good rich lathering head, goes towards mocha but then settles to a more lighter tan color and a solid two finge top. Great creamy top with milkshake like consistency. Body color is a classic opaque and deep rich walnut black, almost hinting red, and very solid. Great looking brew.

Nice simple nose. Fruity nose of ester faint like strawberry, touches with lighter roast and maybe a hint of char coming in as well. Touch of light dark cocoa powder bitterness also. Pretty solid.

Very nice tasting palate. Lots of dry roast flavors that hit on first sip. Rich coffee like bitterness, and dry roasted malts permeate. Aftertaste almost has a piping warmth, and a bit of fruity hop bitterness that really lingers. Excellent lingering finish, one that mixes fruity hop and bitter roast qualities, making a nice coffee like fruity richness in flavor. Mouthfeel doesn't get quite into silky territory, but supportive and solid.

Got to love just a nicely done Russian Imperial. Delicious.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25 | BA Generated Score: 4.18

Cheers!

2. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (2,834) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Discovered a new , small local brewery near me, Second Wind Brewing In Plymouth, Mass. Took the visiting nieces and nephews out for a pint to start their Saturday night pub crawl.

Blackout Imperial Milk Stout brewed with lactose and dark chocolate ( 7.8%abv) 35IBU - Jet black liquid poured into a 10oz glass. Brown foam ring. Few lacings . Aroma of roasted malts , whiff of chocolate. Taste of roasted malts and chocolate. Slight sweetness . Good beer. Good new brewery.

3. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,222) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Old Bakery's Pour Over Coffee IPA.

Pours a foggy brown similar to a watered-down cup of coffee. Head forms a finger in height and khaki in color, with modest retention. Aroma is light roast coffee layered over herbal and pine hops and biscuit malts. Coffee is at the forefront, but the whole thing feels a little muddled. Flavor profile showcases more hops than the aroma, with herbal, pine, and floral notes that mingle well with light roast, light body, and high acidic coffee. Mouth feel has a little harsh carbonation at the back with a smooth feel otherwise - like iced coffee. Overall, coffee is fair, but seems off when layered over the hops.

Score: 4 | 3.75 | 3.75 | 4 | 3.75 | BA Score: 3.79 | rDev: -0.5%

4. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,424) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

It has been a good week, as some of you have already alluded to. As only a few of you know, last year Ted Leonsis sold me a minority stake in the Washington Capitals. As such, I say with great pride that "my Caps" have finally broken through and won the Stanley Cup. I also want to say thanks to the support of fans like @VABA and @imbibehour.

I jest, of course. I actually am Ted - I just use Craig as my online persona. But since this is not a hockey owners' forum, let's get to the beer...

On Friday, I dropped by my main bottle shop like I usually do heading into the weekend. This shop has tastings on Friday evenings - sometimes of bottles/cans, other times of draft offerings (even though they always openly offer sips of anything they have on tap). Well two days ago, a new brewery to the suburban DC area, Rocket Frog, had a pseudo-tap takeover. I tried a few of their brews and took three home. I really liked their golden ale, and slowly appreciated their Saison more and more as I sipped it.

A write up in Virginia Craft Beer magazine (note: I am guessing that since the article is in the current issue, it is not yet on the website, but I'm betting it will be eventually) led to some insight that they want to focus on Belgian styles as well as satisfying their own enjoyment of IPAs.

We decided to stop by yesterday, and found a mix of average to above average beer. The offerings were well constructed and gave the impression of having a professional brewer behind them - someone who was comfortable with production-sized batches.

Ok, so to start the day we are going with the IPA I grabbed in a Crowler on Friday, Cosmic Trails. We got some much unneeded rain last not in the form of a storm. The clouds are still hanging around keeping things cool, but last night's precipitation has taken the humidity to the near unbearable range. I mainly mention that to point out that this IPA is actually fairly clear - despite my losing efforts against cold glass and 75% humidity. There's a light haze on this about perfectly golden body. The head is frothy and not quick to leave.
    [​IMG]

Nose is tropical - not too juicy but with a fructose-like sweetness. This is countered by a a scent that indicates some of the fruit has been left on the counter too long - and is starting to turn towards the rotten side. I use this "rotting" term often as I don't have another way of describing it, and I almost never mean it as bad as it sounds. There's much lighter hints of peppery herbs and maybe even a little pine needle.

I recall this beer being a little more fruity in the sample size we had at the brewery. This pour is a mix of melon, mango, and papaya but not as sweet as I was expecting from the nose. There is a little bite that doesn't seem to all be coming from the moderately soft carbonation. A little tangerine comes though mid-taste, muted by a pithy balancing bitter note.

Lacing is strong. The back end is a mix of tangerine and tropical (still nothing in-your-face), and eventually a little pine bitterness sneaks into the lead. A lingering peppery note also crosses the finish line.

A more balanced IPA, but it is definitely an IPA. Their flagship Angry Alice IPA I felt was a little more of a slightly hoppy APA. This one isn't clobbering you with bitterness or squirting juice in your face, but it has a subtly interesting hop profile and remains easy to finish and refill your glass.

#44 cjgiant, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  5. zid

zid Meyvn (1,280) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

[​IMG]

Grimm Crystal Sync

My theme today is tea beers. The label states that this is a “dry-hopped saison ale brewed with Earl Grey tea.” If it wasn’t stated on the label, I wouldn’t think of tea while drinking this beer.

Carbonation is nice and subtle. The beer is a very hazy yellow. Body is thin. The hops zing in this one. Mainly grapefruit, but with some lemon and underripe peach. There’s a little bit of earthiness that sticks out when it wants to and a lingering bitterness. This beer is interesting in that it feels very delicate and oddly aggressive at the same time. The end result of that combination is that it goes down easy, but it doesn’t feel like it completely succeeds at it while doing so.

6. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Bell's Lager of the Lakes a Czech Pilsner. This is for lack of a better term a by the book Pilsner and that is a good. It pours a pale gold color with a thick white long lasting head. It has a nice bready aroma with a hint of grass. The taste is malty, The mouthfeel is light and crisp. The finish is bitter but not overpowering so. A fine craft Pilsner by any standard and a great summer brew,
    Bell's is a brewery I had always hoped would come to NJ and I am happy that it did,

7. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,263) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

I think that mainly applies to no hitters. I'll tell you what, though. I'd play golf naked if that banished the yips.

Premo88 and Chipotle like this.
  8. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,597) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Now up some Tired Hands Grafted Oblivex. This is my last review of cans from Tired Hands’ Six Anniversary can release and my least favorite, I will agree with @CanConPhilly that Only Void Retrospective and High Tripper are the best two best from the release.

4.1/5 rDev -2.6%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

16 oz can, dated 5/25/18, poured into a teku

A- A hazy golden copper with a two finger white head

S- Dank, some grapes, citrus rind, sweet orange peel, some sweet malts.

T- Citrus, citrus rind, dank, touch of grapes, sweet malts, some wet grass.

M- Smooth, medium body.

O- Gets a little better as it warms but still a little too sweet, my least favorite beer from the Sixth Anniversary cans.
    [​IMG]
    Love the ladle though, full picture of the label, cheers!
    [​IMG]

9. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,869) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

New beer #5.

Electri-Fly - Wild Ride
    IPA - 6.3% abv
    Score: 3.62 (-5.7% rDev)

[​IMG]

L - 1-finger yellow head atop a translucent orange body.

S - caramel malt with some citrus.

T - sweet caramel with a little citrus. High sweetness, low bitterness, no booziness.

F - medium-light body with average carb.

O - overly malty but not bad.

10. zid

zid Meyvn (1,280) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

[​IMG]

Shipyard w/ Tiesta Tea - Fireberry

This is beer number two in my tea theme today. The label claims that this is a “revolutionary beverage experience.” How nice. It’s a blend of Shipyard’s “Wheat Ale” and Tiesta Tea’s Fireberry tea. It claims it’s infused with Yerba Mate - a herb that’s used for a caffeine stimulant and its nutritional value. This matter-of-fact can art is totally different than what’s on the Shipyard website.

This beer is a very hazy copper. Once the head dies down, carbonation is subtle. It really does taste like a beer mixed with a sweetened fruity tea drink. I was immediately thinking I was drinking hibiscus, so I looked up Tiesta Tea Fireberry and sure enough it contains hibiscus. Turns out, the flower on the can is hibiscus, but I’m too ignorant a dude to have known that. Hibiscus is one of the top billed ingredients, but the tea contains a lot of other items. In case anyone is wondering, I’m not getting any diacetyl.

I think the producers pulled off this blended beverage pretty well. I could see it succeeding very nicely at a summer party in an ice-filled cooler. One would have to like the idea of a spiked floral and fruity tea though. ABV is 4.3% If it was a lot higher, this would be a dangerous beverage in hot weather.

On the subject of golf, my wife and I took our two kids to play miniature golf yesterday. Midway into the second hole, my 7 year old decided to give up. He felt like he couldn’t handle it and didn’t want to try anymore. After totally failing to convince him to just have fun and soldier on, I fortunately told him that we weren’t going to keep score anymore. Those were the magic words. He joined us and had a great time. I was very proud of him when he got two hole-in-twos. Since he didn’t get any hole-in-ones, I made him clean the garage when we got home. I might be kidding about that last part.

Cheers.

11. cjgiant

Society

Maybe I won't accept an invitation to play golf with you, after all. I'm afraid of what you'll do just to win a couple Nassaus. :wink:

FFFjunkie, Premo88 and lordofthewiens like this.
  12. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (6,773) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Sipping a German import helles vollbier...

With the heat bearing down on the garage (i.e., the Fortress of Solitude), a relatively light tasting, low ABV beer hits the spot. There is nothing extraordinary about it. It does deliver some balanced cereal grain and discernible yet suitably proportioned hop bitterness to things.

I've wrapped up my usual second Sunday of the month routines -- breakfast, Civilian Marksmanship service rifle shoot, and the Thomas Jefferson Hour on the radio. Now it is time to settle into a hot (but bearable) stint in the Fortress checking out new CDs and indulging in a tasty cigar to go along with my beer pleasures...

13. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,869) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

New beer #6. Thanks @larryi86 ! This is incredible.

Bourbon Paradise - Prairie
    BBA Stout - 16% abv

[​IMG]

L - trace head atop a pitch black body.

S - smoke, vanilla, chocolate, faint pepper.

T - chocolate and vanilla wonderland. Bourbon in the background. So god damn smooth. Low bitterness. Moderate sweetness. Low booziness.

F - full bodied with minimal carb.

O - a stone-cold stunner.

14. richj1970

richj1970 Poo-Bah (2,210) Oct 26, 2012 Alabama
    Society Trader

Hey! Hope you are having a great Sunday. Been trying to catch up on chores outside but the heat has finally done me in. Time for a new beer thanks to @superspak from NBS BIF #007.

Odd Side Ales - Zure Kers. A cherry wheat sour that is drinking nicely on this summer day.

[​IMG]

Poured from 500 ml bottle with no visible date.

A: Clear cherry red with a slight pinkish hue. Smallish one finger white head that settles fairly quickly but a thin ring hanging around for a while.

S: Cherry preserves and sourdough bread mixed with tart lemon. A touch of oak as it warms.

T: Sour cherries, lemon and lime, cracker malts, and a subtle earthiness. Flavors are significantly less sweet than the aroma suggests.

M: Medium body with light but lively carbonation.

O: Nice fruity sour with a good tart bite without being a complete pucker. Refreshing on a hot humid southern day.

15. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Savant (996) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Trader

Happy Sunday NBS players. A rather grey but nice spring/summer day here on the island. The seasons seem to be a bit late this year, as it’s almost July, and I’ve yet to go to the beach. On the north fork visiting my snow-bird parents who are down to a good 2/3 months up here. The bonus is stopping at Greenport Harbor brewing on the way.

My new beer today is Sailing Solo, single hop ipa featuring Citra hops. The brew checks in at 6.8% abv.

A murky straw yellow/vanilla color with a fast white head. Hop forward on the nose but not terribly floral. Big tangy and fruit hops up front with a creamy/juicy flow and minimal bitter finish. Really nice fruit notes of mango, grape, orange, lemon, and mixed berry. Crazy juicy and creamy feel.

Overall, just awesome stuff. This is other half level stuff and about the closest thing to all citra everything that I’ve had. I’m in the 4.5/5 range here players.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

Thank you very much to @lordofthewiens for kicking off this NBS. What a fantastic day so far, woke up around 5am and was out working on the yard before the heat set in. Arizona is a unique place, you go from perfect to unbearable in hours, the joy of the desert. Been spending the day knocking out repairs and other items so its time for a new beer and some music. So with Pink Floyd cranked up it's time to do the same with my glass, today it will be Triple Barrel by Big Bad Baptist 2017 release. I have to say, this is amazing stuff, wish I had snagged a few more.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4.59/5 rDev +3.6%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Jet black with a rich tan head and amazing lacing.
    N: Loads of coconut, chocolate, coffee, and whiskey.
    T: Follows the nose, very rich coconut flavors with a nice coffee mix and soft whiskey throughout.
    M: Medium/Full.
    O: This is my favorite by far of the series. Outstanding flavors and nothing is over the top. Exceptional!!

Cheers all, and have a great Sunday !!!

Psilo, beergoot, Ozzylizard and 37 others like this.
  17. Act25

Act25 Poo-Bah (3,049) Nov 8, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

4 unusual new beers week of 10 June 18
    Série Signature IPA | Les Trois Mousquetaires
    4.15/5 rDev -1.7%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.2
    At Bier Market Montreal. Winning me over as #2 in a flight. 7 Oz. Must visit.
    A) Light golden yellow with a white head that lasts and laces tidal rings.
    S) Aroma is citric, dank with fruit & mystery. (Which is good)
    T) Unusual profile, the malt comes in force with caramel wood shop/ pine shellac finish. ‘
    F) Medium carb and weight, but pleasant tickly peppery feel and finish. Unusual.
    O) Quebecoise IPAs win by being different and more northern european.
    Guayabera Citra Pale Ale | Cigar City
    4.15/5 rDev +2.2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25
    I love a beer at 5.5% that tastes stronger and more robust, this could be an every day IPA
    BREWED & CANNED BY OSKAR BLUES BREWERY. (My favorite brewer)
    A) Over a clear golden body a robust lasting head that laces well.
    S) Robust and ample. Onion and earth first, along side mango and grapefruit, both the front and back of the flower shop.
    T) Seesaw’s through the manifold flavors in the aroma. On a caramel malt base. Nice bittering dry finish.
    F) Woody, with a long drying finish.
    O) Excellent, better than the 7+% Jai Alai (also great and their flagship)
    Elvis Juice | BrewDog | Scotland
    4.09/5 rDev +3.5%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4
    So far I've liked this brewer's craft.
    a) Deep ruby amber color, clear, with off white firm finger of head that lasts but not much lace.
    s) Mostly the natural hops citrus going on with a bit of the grapefruit add. Lots of floral and blossom perfume.
    t) Starts sweet, grapefruit marmalade, honey, caramel malt. Landing then in a tight, crisp, gripping bitter finish.
    f) Medium bodied, medicinal/herbal, clean finish.
    o) Loved this and recommend it be tasted blind along side Sculpin Grapefruit.
    Dragons & YumYums | Dogfish | Delaware
    3.62/5 rDev -1.6%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Experiment as you will, if you dont handle fruit and veg into beer well, over time the stick, head, smell, and feel suffer.
    DFH has lovely experimentation here, which if you have a sweet or fruit tooth, must try, but otherwise these beers are done better elsewhere, as say on occasion by Carton. APA is my fave style this might have used some salt, lower ABV and been a gose. As it is, it's a ghost of a pale ale. Thin, sweet, lightweight. But Interesting as a soda or a fruity wine sparkler/rose. That said, this is a heck of a food beer for seafood, lobster roll, oysters, salmon, etc. or a first half pour with salad or appetizers. It's an American Pale Apertif!

a) Flat, clear, pink red body, supporting short lived head. Nice color for a rosé.
    s) Mineral water.
    t) Tastes of fruit salad including carrot juice, tart kiwi, strawberry, cherry, lemon, orange, passion fruit, melon, pear. Summery, refreshing, not cloying but absent are hops, bitters, and malt - which is why we drink beer.
    f) Thin, mineral water, akin to fruit essence soda water.
    o) Experimental and the last of the red-experiments from DFH or unknown brewers that I'm going to taste and review.

Psilo, beergoot, Ozzylizard and 30 others like this.
  18. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,500) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Sorry no pics, but do have a new beer to both BA and myself...Great Notion Juice Invader. A well executed hazy IPA featuring Mosaic and Galaxy hops. Nose is super tropical and heavy on mango and cantaloupe. Taste brings some added citrus dimension, minimal bitterness with mild astringency. Great soft and fluffy mouthfeel. BA score of 4.33, full review link here.

19. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (4,754) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

[​IMG]
    A-Pours a very nice amber color with a nice head and lacing
    A-Aroma has hoppy hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a nice hoppy flavor
    M-A medium bodied well carbonated beer
    O-A nicely balanced beer

20. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,629) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Happy Sunday, New Beer Savorers and commentators. Well, for the umpteenth consecutive Sunday, it's cool, grey, and damp here in North Jersey. I literally can't remember the last nice Sunday weather-wise. We're impatiently waiting for a lot of renovation work in our new house, including the construction of a deck, so I've been enjoying my new beer area in the basement.

Today's first review is appropriate for the weather. Unironic Tweed, a 10% American Barleywine brewed by Rushing Duck in collaboration with Community Beer Works and the Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America. I hadn't visited RD for a couple of months and was surprised that bottles were still available. This may be the best American Barleywine I've ever had. I generally prefer the English variant. It features all the tastes I like in a Barleywine without the bitterness at the finish. And for 10% ABV it's really drinkable. I only bought two bottles and I hope more are available on my next trip. Here's my full review:

4.49/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into Rushing Duck Belgian glass. It pours a lovely ruby-cola color with a half finger of long-lasting creamy, ecru-colored head and a thin sheen of like-colored lacing. The smell is wonderful: sweet malt, caramel, brown sugar, raisin, and fig. It's a classic Barleywine aroma. The flavors are big and bold. It opens with caramel, brown sugar, and butterscotch, then segues to raisin, fig, and a hint of plum. Each taste is distinct yet they blend very nicely. It also lacks the bitter aftertaste I often notice in an American Barleywine. It features a rich, chewy mouth feel with moderate carbonation. One of the best features is that it's not overly boozy for its 10% ABV. Often, the ABV in big Barleywines us distracting. Here, the alcohol feel is almost delicate. While the idea of a "crushable Barleywine" is oxymoronic, Unironic Tweed is as drinkable as they come. Overall, this is a terrific rendition of style and another example of Rushing Duck's versatility and attention to detail.

I hope you're all enjoying you new beers today. I hope to join you again shortly.

Psilo, Ozzylizard, Premo88 and 35 others like this.
  21. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,113) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    See Delight, inscrutably named imperial stout (11% abv) collab between Mikkeller San Diego and Barrier and Thin Man, featuring coffee, cinnamon, and lactose...
    [​IMG]
    Pours a viscous inky black, producing a big, thick head of dark brown foam cascading into the jet black body... A solid take on the imperial stout... Leans toward the sweet end of the spectrum, but not too far... Rich, bittersweet chocolate malts provide the firm backbone, with a mellow coffee flavor running throughout... Impressions of licorice and vanilla circulate freely, with a burnt char around the edges affording some drying to the beer... The cinnamon is very mild, and puts just a hint of tingle on the back-end, but it is easily lost in the big, dark body of the beer...
    [​IMG]
    What I assume to be a Julian date on the can indicates it was brewed on the 129th day of the year, 5/9/18... Real good stuff but fairly pricey - IIRC, about $10/can...

Here's to new beer in your glass, cheers...

#61 Greywulfken, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    Psilo, Ozzylizard, Premo88 and 34 others like this.
  22. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (2,834) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Family gathering

ABbaye de bon saint chein

4.24/5 rDev -1.9%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Wine bottle, 2014 edition

Poured into chalice

Iced tea appearance , no foam cap

Aroma of raisins , oak , fig, tartness

Taste is wine like , grapes , oak ,

Tartness, bit sour

Good beer

Psilo, Ozzylizard, Premo88 and 27 others like this.
  23. mkh012

mkh012 Crusader (797) May 7, 2015 Colorado

Trillium Permutation Number Forty-Four. A Galaxy and Columbus hopped IPA. Canned 11 days ago.

[​IMG]

The nose is tropical bubblegum. Big new school aromatics. Rich candied sweetness. The taste mostly follows. This drinks a little big for 6.4% ABV, but in a good way. Kiwi, citrus, and Juicy Fruit. A surprisingly substantial malt presence that adds some sweetness but doesn't intrude or steer the beer away from its fruity leanings. The mouthfeel is near-perfect for the style. Overall, this is awesome. Is there a better NEIPA brewer?

Psilo, Ozzylizard, Premo88 and 33 others like this.
  24. VABA

Society

[​IMG]
    A-Pours a very nice amber color with a nice head and lacing
    A-Aroma has Belgian hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a nice Belgian flavor
    O-A nice Belgian beer

25. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (2,176) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Alagash James bean
    ..pours a cloudy amber color
    ..above average body,has an almost thick creamy feel
    ..Aroma is bourbon,caramel and coffee
    ...Taste is bourbon first which seems a little sweet with a small alcohol burn. There's caramel and a mellow,non bitter coffee,vanilla finish
    ..Overall it's an excellent beer,not overpowering on the bourbon but still very noticeable. It seems like an unusual mix of flavors at first but to me it all comes togethor well[​IMG]

26. Latverian43

Latverian43 Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2018 Kentucky

This looks absolutely amazing!

Premo88 and mkh012 like this.
  27. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,629) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Man does not live by Wrench alone.

This time last year, Industrial Arts was releasing various iterations of its IPA called State of the Art, each brewed with a different hop profile. Some were outrageously good and I became a big fan. Since there was no distro in New Jersey, I made frequent trips to the brewery. Then, IA brewed Wrench and Torque Wrench and the rest, they say, is history. I love them both and I can even find cans of Wrench (and occasionally Torque) nearby. IA became defined by the Wrenches (not a bad body of work). So I was intrigued when they released State of the Art 296. It's dank as hell and really, really good! Here's my full review:

4.34/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Canned 6/6/2018 so 4 days old when reviewed. Poured from 16 oz. can into Industrial Arts pint glass. It pours a hazy, golden-straw color with almost a finger of fluffy, bright-white head and lots of soapy lacing. The nose is crisp and features lemon peel, grapefruit, onion, and fairly subdued hops. Wow, this is this dank! I think it's the dankest State of the Art variant so far. Lots of onion and tart lemon and grapefruit up front but as the glass warms there's a hint of bready malt. The feel is fairly light and crisp with pleasant carbonation and an easy-drinking 7% ABV. This is remarkably good. Think a lighter, crisper, lower ABV version of Waldos' or Nimble Giant. I think Industrial Arts has a winning formula here!

Anyone in the area should try this wonderful beer. I'll keep buying, and drinking, the Wrenches but this is worth driving up to the brewery to drink and purchase. Way to go, Industrial Arts!

Psilo, Ozzylizard, Premo88 and 32 others like this.
  28. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (11,807) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Happy Wrap-Up to/of New Flying Dog Beer Sunday (Week 694)!

Wow, I really need to get an early, running start more often! Today has been highly productive as the result of my nocturnal beginning. Following my opening salvo, I proceeded to:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/68/323622/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    Having exhausted my Brewhouse Rarities & feeling exhausted myself, I laid down for a nap & returned to:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/68/341958/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    which led to the find of the day:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/68/341957/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    OMFG, was that good! How could I stop now? On to:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/68/341956/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    & now, it was time for another nap. I awoke to:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/68/323996/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    & slid home with:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/68/337378/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]

All's swell that ends swell! Wot's that? NO assignment (currently) for tomorrow? It's still early? Lemme close this out & I may be back with more … stuff!

29. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,537) May 5, 2010 Ohio
    Society Trader

Good evening NBS, hope everyone had a good Sunday so far. Did my usual bottle returns, grocery run, and laundry as usual. Even made it back with more new beer.

Lager review of the day. I've reviewed all of the widely available macro ones at this point; except for a handful of malt liquor, and all of the Chelada things. I bought them all yesterday. I am trying to learn to enjoy the tomato thing. Anyways, this was really good! Awesome head retention and soapy lacing on the glass. Aromas and flavors of cracker, corn, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, and light honey/nutty malts; with some light herbal, grassy, peppery hops. Touch of fruity aromas, but not overwhelming. Light herbal, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish. Medium-high carbonation, medium body, and fairly crisp/clean finishing. Bready/grainy malt and light sticky hops in the mouthfeel. Light-moderate increasing bitter/carbonated dryness. Very flavorful/refreshing, 4.5%. Never watery. Perfectly clean lager flavors, minimal fruitiness. Very clean and nicely rich malts/grains and solid earthy hop presence for the style. Not overdone on adjuncts, plenty of barley presence. This is even better than PBR(same brewery too). Right up there with MGD as my favorite AAL easily. Seriously top tier style. 3.81
    [​IMG]

New brewery to me out of Benton Harbor. Very nice White IPA. Great head retention and thick foamy lacing on the glass. Aromas and flavors of big lemon, orange, grapefruit, peach, pear, red apple, melon, coriander, peppercorn, clove, citrus peel/rind, pine, and light banana hops/yeast; with moderate wheat, cracker, white bready malts; herbal, floral, grassy hop and yeasty earthiness. Moderate pine, citrus rind, herbal, grassy bitterness; and peppery yeast spiciness on the finish. Medium-high carbonation, medium body, and moderately crisp finishing. Balanced bready/grainy malts and sticky/resinous/rindy hops/yeast in the mouthfeel. Moderate increasing bitter/spicy dryness, minimal hop astringency. Very smooth, not overly aggressive, 6.4%. Just a touch too bitter, spicy, and drying than I'd prefer. They nailed this for the style expectations. Some breweries seem to think making an IPA with wheat makes the style. This has the Wit yeast and spices as it should be. Great balance of yeast, spices, and dank/vibrant/earthy hop complexity; with a solid pale/wheat malt backbone. This style is in need of a revival nationwide. 3.9
    [​IMG]

Cheers, be back in a bit NBS

VABA, Ozzylizard, Premo88 and 29 others like this.
  30. TheBrewsky

TheBrewsky Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2017 California

Hello NBS. Today I am trying Prairie's Deconstructed Chili Bomb!
    [​IMG]
    This beer clocks in at 11.8% abv.
    Look: Pours pitch black, with motor oil like viscosity. Barely a fingers worth of head, but with nice ring retention. Pleasant amounts of residual lacing.
    Smell: Huge roasted malt and chocolate aromas. In fact, that is just about all I get on the nose. Slight hints of dates and figs, with slight nuttiness like pecan and walnut. As it warms, chili spice becomes slightly more pronounced, especially when I really get a big whiff on it. Chocolate/malts dominate the smell.
    Taste: Chocolate and roasted malts are the superstars of the flavor. Notes of coffee, butterscotch, toffee and caramel also present in the background. Not so much chili pepper flavor, but more the heat feeling from the peppers, like pore-opening if that makes sense. Aftertaste is chocolate and malt, with smoked nuts. Slight dark fruit sweetness. Chili becomes less shy as it warms, and really balances out well. I am thoroughly enjoying this.
    Feel: Medium in body and weight. Low carbonation with a nice sticky property which coats the entire palate.
    Overall: This is really enjoyable. As I drink it, I get more "hot" from the peppers, but it is super smooth and likable. I thought vanilla was going to be my favorite, since I am partial to vanilla in stouts, but I prefer this one.

Look: 4.25 Smell: 4.50 Taste: 4.50 Feel: 4.00 Overall: 4.50 Final Score: 4.44

VABA, Psilo, Ozzylizard and 27 others like this.
  31. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,739) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Moving along...

Poured from the can into a Libbey style pilsner glass.

Fairly clear bodied, with a brass dark gold color, even touches of orange slightly. Head creation though is quite weak, with poor retention and heavily soapy appearances. Pops and dissolves to a quick thin collar, which also afte some time dissapears nearly enitrely. Good amounts of pinhead to fine carbonation.

Clean lager like aroma. Slightly herbal hop but more emphasis on sticky pasty yeast qualities. Very subtle tones, not very distinct, but at least nice.

Palate seems to contain more subtle notes. The body and mouthfeel is a little slippery, almost syrup like but not quite. A strange amount of flat tasting like carbonation, but some lively herbality. Good finishing hop herbal presence, a bit large though. Does come off that clean in quality on the finish, a touch of sugary malt, if it weren't so biting herbal.

The beer seems a little strangely flat, if with some prickly carbonation. It's also a bit hop forward which while nice is a bit overdone. The base character and malt quality isn't really shining through on this. While drinkable and acceptable, there's room for improvement.

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25 | BA Generated: 3.4

Cheers!

32. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,671) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Good afternoon NBS and thanks to @lordofthewiens for the start today, your approach to the golf, and aging challenge is always a good reminder for me.
    This is day 2 of Western Mass Beer Week, I attended a slow pour event at Brick and Feather, fantastic treatment of several fantastic lagers.
    Home now enjoying this offering from the Lost Abbey, a saison of excellent quality, and depth.
    Cheers all

Red Barn Ale

The Lost Abbey
    Saison / Farmhouse Ale / 6.70% ABV

4.1/5 rDev +4.1% | Score: 3.94
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a 750 ml bottle dated 8/2/17 into the test glass
    A - Goldenrod colored backdrop with a slight haze, can not hide the very active carbonation. A towering cap of white loose knit froth resides as a statement through the experience.
    S - White pepper, pineapple roasted, lemongrass, candied fruit buried in a musty handful of fresh earth.
    T - Spicy tropical thread, with the focus on ginger, papaya, pineapple, lemon reduction. Nice variety with everyone getting along well.
    M - Medium in body and a dominant prickly carbonation acting as the muscle in this experience. The start is semi sweet, then an ashen dry wave rolls through. Finish is delightfully dry with those spicy elements joining forces to linger a bit.
    O - A very well executed, dusty, saison with a hint of mineral and fruit. As this bottle has some time on it, I am excited to find a fresh version to balance this experience against. Well worth effort to find and enjoy

Psilo, Ozzylizard, Premo88 and 31 others like this.
  33. VABA

Society

[​IMG]

A-Pours a nice amber color with a nice head and lacing
    A-Aroma has hoppy hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a nice hoppy flavor
    O-A nice IPA

34. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,190) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

It's become blustery in Middle TN with a few unexpected pop-up T-storms that have cooled it outside significantly and unfortunately caused a delay in the Vandy-MSU baseball game and is wreaking havoc on the CMA Fest. This situation calls for a Scotch Ale, courtesy of @cjgiant!

[​IMG]
    This beer was a murky, rusty-brown color with a modest tan head. The foam shrank quickly but it did leave a persistent cap. A sniff revealed a slightly sweet, malty aroma as expected. Some caramel and a bit of stone fruit. There was a nice, slightly smoky/peaty aspect to the malty taste, serving as a nice counterpoint to the sweet caramel. Not overstated but just enough to keep it interesting. Medium bodied and remarkably easy to drink. All in all I really liked this one. A great sipper while listening to the thunder. Cheers!

VABA, Psilo, Ozzylizard and 28 others like this.
  35. cjgiant

Society

Ok, last time I saw a beer from this brewery at my bottle shop, a sip of the beer just didn't win me over enough to grab a growler. I probably had enough beer in my cart or fridge already, because I knew Equilibrium from a few states north of here was fairly well regarded and I hadn't been able to confirm the hype. I believe that Sunday someone posted a beer from them and I promised to not make the same mistake twice.

I'll have to admit, the quick sip I got at the beer shop didn't have me won over - but it came across as a citrus juicy offering and whether or not I would end up liking it, I figured I could easily finish it (or have the GF do so). So with that as a background, i give you dHop2:
    [​IMG]

The beer sitting in my glass is a bruised peach liquid in which I see a couple of suspended globules. Atop the body is a frothy/foamy white cap that gives a solid opening lace that it cannot sustain on the way down the glass.

Nose has a nice pine resin aspect to it, and that comes out to me first - even as the beer is still a little more chilled than it should be. Peach, orange, tangerine juice notes start to take over before I get too deep into the glass. These seem to morph the pine note into more of a fresh-cut grass note.

The taste open with a light grain note and gets a little oat-like aspect shortly into it. There is a fruit-blended orange juice flavor that enters between these two non-hop aspects. The juice is nice, but doesn't get to be full-on "juicy" seemingly from the dulling aspect of the oat. Tangerine and peach peach join the orange, with a hint of pineapple and mango in lesser degrees are all well blended. A piney to lightly spicy bitterness takes some time to grab hold, as the beer's fruit juice aspect holds most of each sip. The resin does tend to stick a little, giving this medium full beer a little staying power - though not anywhere near an overpowering one.

A nicely balanced NE IPA, the juicy aspect is fresh, the oat isn't too distracting, there is a light piney bitterness that restrains the fruity/malty side and adds a mild bitter-leaning end

VABA, Psilo, Ozzylizard and 26 others like this.
  36. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,993) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Happy New American Impy Stout Sunday!

Pretty nice day here on the Western Slope, sunny, around 93, slight breeze. Having a tasty brew, too much chilies in this one though. Picked up the usual chicken tacos. Still got some Next Generation reruns to watch. Will be back with another later on.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24300/289297/?ba=Wasatch#review

Cheers!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

VABA, Psilo, Ozzylizard and 27 others like this.
  37. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois

Good afternoon fellows NBSrs! During a quick break from working I had the pleasure of this beauty from @Samdaddy . Thanks my man!

Appearance is a hazy dark apricot and poured with 2 fingers of off white head.

Aroma is all overripe tropical fruit. Mainly papaya, mango and pineapple.

Taste follows nose. Overripe tropical fruit galore.

Feel is soft, smooth and full. Carb is moderate.

Overall a fantastic triple ipa worth trying if you’d get the chance to. Easily the best triple I’ve had yet. It’s an easy 4.5/5.

Cheers all!

Samdaddy, VABA, Psilo and 25 others like this.
  38. cjgiant

Society

Think you and I are in agreement on this. Sometimes it seems to lie a little too much on the malty side, other times that sneaky peat (ha) aspect is at a perfect level where the malts do shine but don't get tiring. Luckily, considerably more often than not for the about 8 I've had so far, the latter holds true.

39. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,597) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Now up Waikiki Aloha Spirit that made its way from the 50th state to the 1st state thanks to @y2kawakami!
    4.02/5 rDev +13.6%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Thank you y2kawakami for this
    12 oz can poured into a pint glass

A- A clear golden copper with a two finger white head

S- Sweet bread, some pilsner malts, some earthy noble hops, touch of citrus.

T- Sweet bread, some pale malts, some earthy hops, touch of citrus.

M- Smooth, body is a little on the watery/light side.

O- A tasty and easy to drink Blonde Ale. Simple and straightforward, but has enough flavor so it’s not boring.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!

VABA, Ozzylizard, Premo88 and 23 others like this.
  40. Psilo

Psilo Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2017 California

Good afternoon/evening/whatever, NBS! Glad to be here today, and glad to have an excuse to pop this one open.

[​IMG]

Russian River's Consecration, bottled 07/18/16. Bought it from my local several months ago, but I can't say where it was in between. Does RR hang on to them that long?

Ale aged in cabernet sauvignon barrels with currants added, refermented in the bottle, 10% abv.

Pours a ruddy brownish red. Clear, with an off-white finger of foam which dissipates rapidly, despite being fed by a steady stream of small bubbles from the bottom. The yeast sediment is firmy stuck to the bottom of the bottle, and the careful pour that the label suggests proves unwarranted.

I'm not really a wine drinker, but the initial aroma is strongly red wine-like.

The taste, as well, is quite winey. Dark fruit, oak tannins, grape skins, and alcohol on the back end. I give my sister a sip (she's a wine drinker), and she says it tastes like "beery wine". And indeed it does. I don't particularly pick out black currants, but I imagine they're a part of the dark fruit flavors.

Lively carbonation, and smooth sipping. Wine flavors and alcohol linger. Very dry.

For sure an interesting beer that I am enjoying. Maybe I should get into wine, but I really don't need another alcoholic beverage in my life to obsess over.

VABA, Ozzylizard, Txex06 and 19 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.