New Beer Sunday (Week 695)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cjgiant, Jun 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,508) May 5, 2010 Ohio
    Society Trader

Good evening NBS, hope everyone had a good day so far. Did my usual bottle returns, laundry and grocery run for the week. Fridge is stocked up on new beers after yesterday's run.

Very nice milkshake IPA. Awesome head retention/lasting lacing on the glass. Flavors of big coconut, vanilla, grapefruit, tangerine, lemon, peach, pear, pineapple, passion fruit, mango, melon, citrus peel/rind, light pepper, and pine hops; with moderate cream, wheat, cracker, white bread, light biscuity malt/lactose; and herbal, floral, grassy hop earthiness. Similar/muted aromas. Light-moderate pine, citrus peel/rind, herbal, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation/body; creamy/bready malt/lactose and some sticky hops in the mouthfeel. Light resins/rinds, light-moderate increasing bitter dryness, no hop/fruit peel astringency. Very drinkable, not aggressive, 6.3%. The coconut tea is pretty big on this, but it works well with the citrus fruit and tropical hops. Nicely soft-ish mouthfeel. Juicy, vibrant, and lightly dank hops/fruit; nice malt/lactose backbone, and mild residual sweetness. Unique, but very well done. 3.88
    [​IMG]

Stillwater. Excellent as usual! Great head retention/spotty lacing for a sour. Aromas and flavors of big tart/tangy white grape/wine, lemon, lime, peach, pear, pineapple, green apple, passion fruit, papaya, mango, melon, guava, berry, citrus zest, hay, straw, and grass; with moderate wheat, cracker, white bready malts; lighter notes of pepper, leathery/musty funk, and white wine vinegar. Light-moderate fruity/lactic tartness, fruit tang; light herbal/grassy bitterness, and yeast/tannic spiciness on the finish. Medium carbonation/body; balanced creamy/grainy wheat, lactic acid, fruit tang, hop stickiness, and tannins in the mouthfeel. Light-moderate increasing acidic/tangy fruit dryness. Slightly increasing pucker factor, but not overwhelming. Very drinkable, not overly lactic, 6%. Really well rounded Brett/Lacto complexity; balanced citrus/tropical hops, Riesling grapes, and a solid pale/wheat malt backbone against acidity. They always nail the sours, rarely disappointing. 4
    [​IMG]

Cheers, be back in a bit NBS.

2. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,977) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Amen, brother, I can't wait either!

Premo88 and MacMalt like this.
  3. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,623) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Clown Shoes Who's on First? A Summer Ale with Passion Fruit & Pineapple Puree ( where would be my question ) 3.28
    overall

Pours an effervescent gold with 2 fingers of pearl colored head. Okay head retention & lacing

S: Pears, a little citrus

T: Pineapple, dryness, a little pear, plus a little passion fruit up front. Dryness, a little grainyness, hints of pineapple as this warms. Finishes a little grassy, dry with a little white grape

MF: Medium body, fairly firm carbonation

Easy to drink, but also easy to forget, a rare miss from these guys, wanted way more fruit than this delivers

4. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,170) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Cheers to @TheHopsman for this one. Good to see ya again, dude!

[​IMG]

Boiler's Brewing Company's DDH Holy Trinity Double That!

Pours an opaque and murky orange with a finger of white foam. Head retention is okay. Aroma is a puree of tropical fruits. Mango, papaya, and tangerine form the crux of the aroma. Lemon zest and musty notes fill in the rest of the space. Flavor profile is a dense forest of tropical fruits - mango, papaya, tangerine, and orange. Mouth feel is thick and velvety. Overall, a dense forest of tropical fruits is the only way to describe this. It's heavy in terms of feel, but still pleasantly chuggable, packing an experience into each glass.

Score: 4.25 | 4 | 4.75 | 4.75 | 4.5 | BA Score: 4.49 | rDev: 0% (other rating was 4.5)

5. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,483) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    NBS #2. It's never too hot for a stout especially if you've been drinking IPAs all weekend!

I've been craving a new stout and when I saw Even More JCS at a local shop I had to bite. This is great stuff! It's a dessert sipper for sure but manages to incorporate everything I like in a big stout. Here's my review:

4.43/5 rDev +1.8%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Canned 3/22/2018 so two months old when reviewed. Poured from 16 oz. can into stout glass. It pours almost jet black with an immense cap of foamy, mocha-colored head that dissipated slowly leaving some thin lacing of like color. The nose features roasted malt, burnt coffee, dark chocolate, earthy char, and nuts. The taste is a lot sweeter than the smell would indicate. But it has everything you'd want in a big stout: chocolate, both freshly-brewed and burnt coffee, dark fruit, char, tobacco, vanilla, and nuts. Somehow, Evil Twin has managed to include every taste I like. It has a perfect stout feel: thick and chewy with great viscosity. The carbonation is moderate and it seems to drink below its 12% ABV. That's okay because Even More JCS is most definitely a dessert sipper. It's too rich and sweet for casual drinking and it would overwhelm most food pairings. Still, if you accept it for what it is, it's outstanding!

6. StraightNoChaser

StraightNoChaser Poo-Bah (2,295) Oct 21, 2007 Georgia
    Society Trader

7. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,407) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Bruh - where'd you get that glass!?

WU TANG WU TANG!!!!!

jdell15, kemoarps and Premo88 like this.
  8. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,973) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

Happy Fathers Day to all you dads!

Found a new beer at Premium Draught in Houston, TX:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    8th Wonder's Procrastin8or, a "session" IPA

Call these things what you will, I wanted a sub-5% American pale ale and knew I'd be flying by Premium Draught today, so Procrastin8or fit the bill. And it fills the bill ... wow-wee is it full of grapefruit notes, a little pineapple, even some green onion in the nose and lingering aftertaste. There's only enough malt to give it a good grain flavor in the background when it's cold, but this one is all about those little green buds, for it has almost no sweetness in the flavor. There is a load of sweetness in the aroma, however, and it's like jumping into a swimming pool of grapefruit juice and inhaling ... if that were possible.

The review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28784/345889/?ba=Premo88#review
    4.29 (+7% rDev)

Feels awfully silly posting my dumb gumbo photos after @utopiajane dazzled once again with her amazing culinary skills, but I can't hang with Maria, only admire, so here's dumb early gumbo photos pre-seafood:
    [​IMG]
    I wanted to go MUCH darker than this below, but I'm cooking for others, not just me, so I wimped out @TongoRad:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cheers, NBSers!

9. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,392) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Happy Father’s Day, NBS party patrol. Thanks to @cjgiant for the nice start and the reminder of both sides of the “being a father” coin. I’m blessed to have a son that I love, but just as importantly I like. We’ve had our trials and tribulations, as will happen in any meaningful relationship that endures 27+ years, but he’s a young man I have a lot of pride in and admiration for.

Having said that, I’m not afraid to still be his Dad and give him a figurative wallop, but he gets now where I’m coming from on those very rare occasions. He’ll be visiting me and Mrs O at the end of July for a week, and we’re already planning our different adventures, including a couple of brewery trips - the apple didn’t fall far from the tree AT ALL in that area, though he enjoys the big hop bombs less than I do. Can. Not. Wait. to see him.

On to today’s beer. This adheres to two of my beer credos:

1. #DrinkLocal

2: #EnjoyHefesWhileTheyAreAvailableOrYourBeerNerdSoulWillSuffer

I’m thinking of having #2 trademarked.

[​IMG]

4.35/5 rDev -2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This looks like summer coming from the can - the color is a twilight sunset on a steamy June evening in the Northern Hemisphere, with some haze and a soapy white head as a cap. Lovely.

The nose has the requisite banana, clove, and bready notes, but there’s a subtle lemon note as well. Lovelier.

The taste has the banana, clove, and bread notes, but it’s the tart lemon flavor that elevates this. The mouthfeel is crisp and spritzy, making this the perfect summer quencher. Man, is this good.

10. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (1,955) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

I had the same impression with that brew although I did have a 16 oz can. I think freshness plays a roll. Mine was dated and I think it was like 60 days minimum.

Premo88 likes this.
  11. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,926) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Happy Father's Day!
    Happy New American IPA Sunday!

Pretty nice day for a hike on the Western Slope, around 77, cloudy. Not a bad brew, but would have liked to have tried it alot fresher. Picked up some chicken tacos. Watching some Voyager reruns. Might be back with another.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/418/236801/?ba=Wasatch#review

Cheers!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,853) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Still looks damn tasty, though! And that looks like a genuine family heirloom gumbo pot you got there, pretty sweet.

But next time it's on for real! :sunglasses::grin:

kemoarps, Vidblain and Premo88 like this.
  13. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (1,955) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Dont sell yourself short. Not many can go through the patience and splatters of cooking a NO style roux. I was taught by someone who cooked in Commanders Palace (Emiril) and I can go dark. Impressive.

14. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,853) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I've mentioned this to Robert before (which is kinda why we're having this friendly back and forth), but making a Cajun black roux is the only thing that still seriously intimidates me in the kitchen- and I don't think that'll ever change. But sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do :wink:.

kemoarps, HoppingMadMonk and Premo88 like this.
  15. muchos

muchos Defender (620) Sep 4, 2012 Pennsylvania

Round Trip 862 IPA from Free Will and Platform
    [​IMG]

L. Slightly hazy light-orange, nice frothy head which hangs out a while and leaves a good lacing. 4.00
    S. Bright honeycomb, apricot, pineapple. Slightly peppery sweet tropical aroma. 4.25
    T. Bitter up front like lemon, orange peel, and some grapefruit juice. These flavors continue with decreasing bitterness through the finish, with a bit of bread and spice. Finishes with a peppery vegetable or under-ripe pineapple. 3.75
    F. Smooth medium body, not drying, slight boozy zing in the finish. 3.75
    O. Pretty good and refreshing. Not too sweet or bitter but flavorful, drinkable, and enjoyable. 3.75

3.89. Cheers!

16. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,973) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

First, thanks to you and @tasterschoice62 for the compliment. Pulling up well short of black is tasting like a good idea for this little get together.

Second, I'm going to be the jerk in the room and say I don't even know what a so-called "burnt" roux is. :scream::scream::scream: Seriously. I've made rouxs on the stove and in the microwave (blasphemy, I know, but "Cajun" is the mother of invention from my experience) and watched Paw-Paw, Grabber, mom and dad make rouxs for multiple decades and not once have I ever seen anything even approaching burnt. Obviously anything left on the stove long enough will burn to a black crisp, but for 40 years I've heard people in hushed tones speak of the horrors of burning the roux as if it's somehow easy to do, and I think it's a myth.

I'm finding out in August. :wink::sunglasses:

17. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

Father's day NBS beer #2 comes from Heist Brewery in Charlotte NC. Filled 06/09/2018.

[​IMG]

Not from Concentrate

Heist Brewery
    American IPA / 6.80% ABV

4.22/5 rDev 0% | Score: 4.22
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Filled 06/09/18. This version does not appear in the database yet. I'm led to believe this will be a lineup regular.
    L- The beer pours the color of pineapple juice. It's hazy and the head rises a solid one finger of off white. The head recedes to a thin film leaving an excellent ring of lace on the glass.
    S- The nose is a musty mix of sweet tropical fruits. Pineapple being the most prominent although that could be the power of suggestion.
    T- The taste starts slightly sweet reminiscent of pineapple and orange, but a balancing bitterness takes over in the mid palate. The bitterness lingers slightly in the finish and dries out the beer nicely.
    F- The mouthfeel is on the fuller side of medium and has a not quite creamy texture. Carbonation is light, but not so much that it feels flat. The dry finish invites further sips and increases the drinkability.
    O- A high quality NEIPA from Charlotte NC. Well worth your time and money if you have a chance to pick some up. This was easily my favorite of the IPA's I had, even more so than the highly popular citraquench'l.

VABA, Premo88, Snowcrash000 and 22 others like this.
  18. superspak

Society Trader

Delicious fruit wheat. Amazing head retention and lasting thick lacing on the glass. Flavors of big juicy strawberries, guava, lemon, peach, pear, melon, red apple, and berry; with moderate wheat, cracker, white bread, light honeyed malts; mild herbal/grassy hop and yeast earthiness. Similar/muted aromas. Very mild herbal/grassy bitterness and fruit tang/tartness on the finish. Medium-high carbonation, medium body, and moderately crisp finishing. Creamy/grainy wheat, light hop stickiness and fruit tang/acidity in the mouthfeel. Light-moderate increasing tart/tangy/bitter/carbonated dryness. Very flavorful/refreshing, 5%, Never watery. Really great balance of authentic jammy fruit, pale/wheat malts, and fruity American wheat yeast flavors! Would get again. 3.91
    [​IMG]

BBA edition. This was fantastic! Great head retention and spotty lacing for the ABV. Flavors of huge dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, caramel, brown sugar, molasses, toffee, vanilla, bourbon, toasted oak, nuttiness, and dark bread; with lighter notes of licorice, smoke, char, raisin, prune, fig, date, leather, tobacco, and woody/herbal/peppery hops. Similar/less intense aromas. Mild roast/char and herbal/spicy hop bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation and very full body; with a very creamy, silky, velvety, and rich mouthfeel that is fantastic. Light sticky hops, chalky roast, oak tannins, and increasing dryness. No cloying, acrid, astringency. Minimal warming 12%, no barrel booze. Dangerously smooth sipping. Really not as huge on the barrel as expected, but solid. Spot on rich base stout malt complexity. Base, Cafe, and Chili were all better. Never seen the Brandy one yet. 4.25
    [​IMG]

Cheers, be back again soon.

A million time signature changes.

19. muchos

muchos Defender (620) Sep 4, 2012 Pennsylvania

Jefferson's Golden Ale from Yards
    [​IMG]

Bottled on 06/06/18. Enjoyed on 06/17/18.
    L. Clear dark-orange with a big fluffy head which reduces slowly for a thick lacing. 4.00
    S. Spicy rye and honey are the first aromas I get, dark caramel, dark bread crust, earthy grassy hops. Smells good. 3.75
    T. Bready, spicy, a bit of malty sweetness like caramel and honey, spicier in the middle mixing with grassy bitterness toward the end. Real bitter aftertaste. Not super complex but different and quite good. 3.75
    F. Full side of a medium body, smooth with low-ish carbonation, not much warming or drying. 4.25
    O. This is a fresh bottle that I'm sampling, so it has a nice bitter/spicy hop presence to compliment the combination of grains in this one. For quality, flavor, value, Yards is an excellent choice. Cheers! 4.00

3.87. Cheers!

20. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (3,805) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Society Trader

I stopped at Doc Ponds for a couple after closing the store and to start my weekend. First up, a real nice Pilsner called "Hanse" from Schilling out of New Hampshire:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/32906/154528/

4.25/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Draft pour at Doc Ponds, Stowe, VT.
    3/4 inch white head with some lacing. Beautifully bright body. Nose of cracker, spice, and slight hops. Taste mirrors nose with a nice Pilsner feel and overall a great little Pils right here. Cheers!

Next up, a nice Oatmeal Stout called "No Hero" from Evil Twin:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24300/226383/

4.23/5 rDev +8.5%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Draft pour at Doc Ponds, Stowe, VT.
    3/4 inch tan head over a dark brown body with some sticky lacing. Nose of chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt. Taste mirrors nose nicely with a bit of espresso as well. Nice feel and overall, a very good oatmeal stout from the evil one. Cheers!

Now I'm home for a bit of Smutty action. This bottle has been in one of my beer fridges for quite some time and cheers to Josh M. (late of Smutty, now with FW) for this!

[​IMG]

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/141/219147/

375 ml. corked and caged bottle.
    Moderate pour yields a 1/4 inch white head that recedes to a thin ring in minutes with no lacing. Slightly hazy golden amber body. Nose of slight funk, citrus (grapefruit, mostly), and an herbal/floral quality as well. Exceptional flavors of citrus, herb, and cracker. Good feel and overall a nice little saison/wild ale. Cheers!
    4.3/5 rDev +3.9%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

21. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,832) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Had a can of this last week. I agree with you, Heist is doing great things. The berliner I had of theirs earlier was so damn good. Haven’t had citraquench’l, but hoping to try it soon!

22. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,174) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Happy NBS!

[​IMG]

I know Trillium is mostly known for their NEIPAs but this is one of the best sour ales I’ve had in a while. Funky horse blanket, tart but not overly so. Subtle wheat sweetness, lemony hops. Nearly perfect, I’m kicking myself for not buying more @ $12 a bottle (which isn’t cheap IMO but it’s well worth the quality of product). Cheers!

23. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,431) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Now up Lagabière Doudune

4.1/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

16 oz can poured into a teku

A- A slightly hazy amber with a orange tint and a three finger off white head.

S- Sour, oak, red wine, touch of vinager, some cherries, mild funk, very Falnders like.

T- Red wine, tannins, oak, tart, mild funk, some cherries, touch of malts.

M- Smooth, medium body

O- A nice wine barrel aged beers, much more like a Flanders Red than a Saison, by still tasty!
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!

VABA, Premo88, Snowcrash000 and 21 others like this.
  24. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (2,604) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good evening NBS
    Not the Father's Day I envisioned. I spent about 5 hours cleaning up a lightning struck tree at my mother-in-law's and then did some mowing in triple digit heat. All that is past history now as I am trying my first beer from Maine Beer Company. I would normally never pay $8 for a 500mL, but I made an exception for a state tick.
    [​IMG]
    The review:
    500mL bottled 5/8/18 (40 days ago) poured into a Spiegelau IPA glass at fridge temp 6% ABV. The beer pours almost completely bright with a little chill haze. The color is straw yellow with a hint of orange and sticky, nearly white head. The head recedes to a fat island and leaves plenty of lacing. The aroma is mild with lemon and floral notes. The taste follows the nose with lemon and floral hoppy notes laid over a soft pilsner malt base. The mouthfeel is medium to thin bodied, adequately carbonated and mostly dry in the finish. The bitterness is not heavy handed and shows up about one-third of the way through the sip. Overall, very good.

Lots of interesting Father's day stories here today, but I'll add my part. I was lucky to really know and remember 3 of my 4 great grandfathers, a maternal grandfather and a kind step grandfather along with my father who I spoke with earlier today. There is no way to understand the collective knowledge that they imparted on me, but I'm sure I'm a better man for it.

Cheers all and happy Father's day to all who that fill the role!

VABA, Premo88, Snowcrash000 and 23 others like this.
  25. GRPunk

GRPunk Meyvn (1,229) Apr 5, 2007 Michigan

Happy Father’s Day!

A little family trip to the Sunshine State means hot and a little muggy with evening showers.

Today’s offering is the Floridian Hefeweizen from Funky Buddha. I may be stretching the “new” in NBS as I’m pretty sure I’ve had this on another trip down here.

Anyway, solid American take on the German style. Very drinkable in the heat.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/31805/62128/?ba=GRPunk#review

VABA, Premo88, cavedave and 15 others like this.
  26. deleted_user_1111368

deleted_user_1111368 Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2016 Delaware

[​IMG]

My 1st Alena.

Aroma is fairly dank forward, fresh and wet. The taste was the same.. except the flavor profile was very pronounced. I am not sure which hops and malts are in here.. but that's because I've been drinking plenty of beers all day.

Regardless, I liked it.

VABA, Premo88, Snowcrash000 and 18 others like this.
  27. LeRose

LeRose Poo-Bah (1,526) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

Good evening, NBS peeps. Not as brutally hot as predicted here in the kingdom...we shall see what the morrow brings. Finished up the flower portion of the garden, at least for now. We got take out from an Indian restaurant I enjoy, great food as usual. All the family around, not without a bit of drama but what are ya gonna do?

Selection for today is Desert Solitaire, a wild ale from Springdale, Jacks Abby's alter ego:

[​IMG]

Pours cloudy deep gold with a fleeting soapy head. Could smell this beer as soon as the crown came off. Initial impression was holy fruit, Batman. But it is more than that. Very mildcfunk, pretty assertive acid smell that seems both lactic and acetic. Grape and wine, mild lemon citrus, green apple, the missus says kiwi and I can go there. Or bubblegum...just a bit. The taste is actually balanced nicely even with more flavors than I can probably unravel. Definitely sour, but not wrecking the tooth enamel. Nice funk, and underneath a counterbalance of sweetness. Definite lemon, absolutely wine-like, smooth contribution from the oak. Virtually no bitterness to speak of. Light feeling beer, bright carbonation, slightly dry. I could drink this like lemonade on a hot day. Glad I got a couple of these. Will be coming in between 4 and 4.5. Nice beer.

Cheers, everyone. Thanks to @cjgiant for today's lead post. I will catch up with the thread later.

VABA, Premo88, Snowcrash000 and 19 others like this.
  28. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (3,805) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Society Trader

I was certainly hoping for a bit more flavor and feel.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Moderate to vigorous pour yields a 1/2 inch white head over a murky, light golden body with scant lacing. Great nose of passion fruit, mango, and very slight vanilla. Taste mirrors nose pretty well with a good feel and overall, for me, there might be a bit too much going on here, but I like it. Cheers!

3.92/5 rDev +0.3%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

VABA, Premo88, Snowcrash000 and 17 others like this.
  29. kemoarps

kemoarps Poo-Bah (1,976) Apr 30, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

Oh man the weather has turned. June Gloom was in full effect the last week or so, but starting yesterday afternoon it is starting to look (and feel) more like what people think of as summer. That means I am living in my hammock as much as possible over by the lake, and it's time to dive into more warm weather beers.
    Woke my dad up with a phone call this morning (barely) and got to chat with him. We haven't always seen eye to eye, but I'm glad to have a good relationship with him now, and I know it's something that's important to him as well as he and his own father only managed to salvage things in the years leading up to the latter's death. And I know my dad is glad that they were able to do so. Better late than never and all that. Anyway. After talking to him and taking care of some stuff around the apartment I had to take advantage of this disgustingly hot weather and rode over to Green Lake and posted up. It was hot enough out that as I was laying there trying to muster the energy to turn the page I heard a *pop* and a *hisssssss*... looked over and the rear end of my bike was sinking closer to the grass beneath it. Hot enough that the expansion popped my tire I guess.

[​IMG]

I figured today would be a good opportunity to jump into a berliner I've been hanging onto from @FlintB waiting for just such an opportunity as this: warm afternoon seems perfect for this style in my opinion and this offering does nothing to dissuade that opinion.

Morphology is a dry hopped berliner weisse from Speciation, a brewery from which I've only tried two beers so far, but one of which I am a big fan already.

[​IMG]

Liquid gold body topped with a pile of wet bubbles that dissipate pretty quickly into not much. Aggressive looking carbonation continues to build streaks up through the golden bauble.

Nose is rich and layered with juicy and tart competing leads. Citrus and green apple and funk and a bit of minerality all compete for prominence.

While the nose was plush and deep, the flavour feels stripped down and minimalist. Not that it's missing flavours, just that it takes the weird wild high concept ideas of the original script and streamlined them and stripped them into a tight neat plot that is more concrete and blunt reality. Lemon tartness and mineralic funk take the directors chair here and keep it focused and clean. The florid plush extavagance still peeks in at the very edges of the finish and follow through, but the main course is lemon and wheat and incredibly refreshing in this uncomfortably hot weather.
    I'm really digging this one and am immensely grateful to Brian for sending it along.

Hope y'all are having a wonderful Sunday as well. Cheers!

VABA, Premo88, Snowcrash000 and 20 others like this.
  30. swenny916

swenny916 Defender (623) Jan 3, 2010 Illinois
    Society Trader

It's been a while since I've been able to sit down a review a beer, but it's good to be back. My first beer tonight comes via @SammyJaxxxx

Industrial Arts Summer Landscape

[​IMG]

4.09/5 rDev +2.3%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 16 ounce can into tulip glass.

Pours a slightly cloudy very light orange color with about two fingers of foamy white head. Smell is grainy with a nice fresh lemon finish. Taste is similar to the smell, with the grain standing out above the lemon. Very easy to drink as it's just below a medium mouth feel. Goes down very smooth and is a great summer beer.

VABA, Premo88, Snowcrash000 and 21 others like this.
  31. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,391) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Hello New Beer Sunday!!!

Happy Fathers Day to all the BA dads. I hope your offspring were able to make it a good one for you.

Sadly, I'm not a dad (no woman stupid enough to mate with me), and I lost my dad February of last year, so this day isn't a good one for me. Oh, well, at least I'm home from work, and ready for a new beer.

[​IMG]
    Lieutenant Daddy from Oliphant Brewing. It is an IPA that clocks in at 9%.

Ok, I wasn't thinking about the day till after I selected this beer. I'd say it's a good one for it.

It's a delicious IPA. Nice citrus from the hops. A slightly creamy mouthfeel, and the hops linger on the palate for a long time. Very good.

4.18/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a somewhat murky golden color. The head is white and 2 finger, with decent retention.
    The nose is quite citrusy with the hops. Orange seems to be the aroma to me, with some pineapple.
    This is a very sticky tasting beer. The flavors are like the nose: citrus from the hops in the beer - orange, and pineapple.
    The feel is mainly from the hops, and, boy do they linger, and stick to my throat. It also has a slightly soft feel to it.
    Tasty IPA from Oliphant. Another well constructed beer from them.

506 characters

Since this is a 32oz can of a 9% IPA, I can't see myself drinking any more tonight. So, I will see you all next Sunday, from the beautiful Northwest Angle, Minnesota, for the Next New Beer Sunday.

There's a good chance that one beer will be BCBBW.

VABA, Premo88, Snowcrash000 and 16 others like this.
  32. superspak

Society Trader

Outstanding stuff! Solid head retention and minimal lacing on the glass. Aromas of big lightly tart/tangy lemonade, lime, citrus peel/zest, wheat, cracker, and white bread; with light pepper, herbal, and yeast earthiness. Light herbal/spicy/citrus peel bitterness and citrus tang/tartness on the finish. Medium-high carbonation, light-medium body, and moderately crisp/clean finishing. Balanced bready/grainy malts and acidic/tangy citrus in the mouthfeel. Light-moderate increasing tart/bitter/carbonated dryness. Super refreshing for 7%, drinks more like a session beer. Outstanding citrus vibrancy, solid pale/wheat malt backbone, and no residual sweetness. Going to get this again for sure. All variants have been great, some of the best for the style. Loved the Tequila BA one the most. 4.15
    [​IMG]

Continuing the usual NBS JP tradition. Tired Hands Collab. Excellent Sour NEIPA. Great head retention and thick foamy lacing on the glass. Aromas and flavors of big lightly tart lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit, peach, pear, pineapple, red apple, passion fruit, papaya, mango, melon, guava, berry, citrus peel/zest, hay, straw, herbal, floral, grass, and oak; with some cracker, white bread, light biscuity malt balance; and lighter notes of peppercorn, pine, leathery/musty funk, and yeast earthiness. Light herbal/grassy/citrus peel bitterness and peppery yeast/oak spiciness on the finish. Medium-high carbonation, medium body, and moderately crisp finishing. Creamy/grainy malts; some sticky hops, acidity, and oak tannins in the mouthfeel. Light-moderate increasing tart/bitter/spicy/carbonated dryness. No astringent flavors. Very drinkable, 7.3%. Definitely a unique take, never had the base IPA. Great balance of juicy/vibrant/light dank hops and classic JP funky Brett complexity; nice oak presence and malt/oat backing. Sour IPAs are the new thing now, a good number of the JP collabs have been these recently. 4
    [​IMG]

Cheers, have a good night NBS.

33. Psilo

Psilo Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2017 California

Greetings, NBS, and happy Father's Day! We visited with dad yesterday. He lives about three hours up the coast, and we don't get to see each other as often as we'd like.

[​IMG]

My new beer for today is Invasion by Cigar City, who recently infiltrated California, getting so far as to sneak into my local Trader Joe's. Shh, don't tell them it's not local.

Canned 5/14, a tropical pale ale featuring simcoe and mosaic, 5% abv, brought some thousands of miles in a likely unrefrigerated truck, sitting on a definitely unrefreigerated shelf for an indeterminate amount of time, stored in my fridge a couple of weeks. What else do you want to know? Ah, yes...

Pours golden, with a finger of frothy white head which lasts as an elevated cap. Lacing is adequate.

Smells of whichever tropical fruits and sweet malt. Nothing leaping from the glass.

Taste follows. Mango, maybe? Papaya? Sweet malt which leans honey to me over caramel. Some pine and bitterness, but mostly ripe sweetness.

Medium body, good carb, easy to drink, refreshing.

Impressed by the flavors at 5%. So far, this is the Cigar City offering I'd be most likely to buy again.

VABA, Premo88, Snowcrash000 and 19 others like this.
  34. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,431) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Alien Church is my favorite IPA, if you have any extra bottle of the JP version I would be more than happy to trade you some cans next time I get some.

Premo88, Vidblain and CanConPhilly like this.
  35. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,626) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Good evening, all, and Happy New Lime Zest / Ginger / Mint Sour Ale Sunday! Well, I came up a few strokes short in the U.S. Open betting pool. Fourth overall, seven shots out of the money. I really needed for Brandt Snedeker and Henrik Stenson to make some noise today. Still a great tournament, though. Congrats to Brooks Koepka on his title defense, and to Tommy Fleetwood on his record-tying (and taking-me-right-out-of-the-money) final-round 63. Now to the beer: Avery Bug Zapper, an American wild ale with lime zest, ginger, and mint. I love a flavored beer that delivers on the flavors it promises, and this one surely does. I've never had key lime pie and spearmint chewing gum at the same time, but I imagine it would taste a whole lot like this beer. It should surprise no one at all that I'm off the reservation with my rating for this. :grinning:

[​IMG]

4.37/5 rDev +10.4%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
    Review here.

VABA, Premo88, Snowcrash000 and 17 others like this.
  36. strohme2

strohme2 Meyvn (1,042) Nov 3, 2007 Michigan
    Trader

I’m back! While technically not “new” for my next beer the first time I had Big Shanty from Burnt Hickory was when I had a cold. So this time around I was tasting new flavors not experienced the first time. I hope y’all forgive me.
    [​IMG]
    12 ounce can, no date, poured into tulip.
    Pours a dull dark brown with creamy tan head. Any head that was there left quickly. Some spotty lacing though.
    Burnt marshmallow and a sort of graham cracker aroma from the malt is there on the nose. Dry and dusty cracker, burnt marshmallow, bitter chocolate, weak coffee, drying finish. A touch of root beer and spices too (just generic spice). Light body but still smooth and creamy. It’s a big stout at 9% but no alcohol comes through.

37. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

New Beer Sunday: An IPA

Evenin’ NBSers, back again with a special heads up for seekers of an IPA with lots of citrus flavors.

This evening’s new beer is an IPA called Sidecar Orange from the Sierra Nevada Party Pack.

As usual, my review, subject to revision until the beer is finished, can be found here:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/334067/?ba=drtth#review

The aromas/flavors of this IPA are much as we’d expect from the name. There’s lots of orange and orange zest as well as just a touch of grapefruit. The citric aromas/flavors are backed up by a bit of pine and the slightly sweet malt backbone and a bit of dry bitterness that seems tinged with orange zest in the ending.

Tonight's music on the Player is collection of music by John Denver. Denver was mostly popular in the 60s-70s and had a number of hits, both as a composer and as a performer. His interest in music began with a gift from his Grandmother.

John Denver — This Old Guitar

Cheers, all!

38. zid

zid Meyvn (1,242) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

I love it when someone posts the same beer as me. Even though the beer didn't win me over... we were REALLY in sync with our impressions! Cheers.

Premo88, dcotom, TongoRad and 3 others like this.
  39. zid

zid Meyvn (1,242) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

[​IMG]

Finback Replenish

This is an IPA and the label is annoyingly hard to read. I’ve had Finback beers before, but I bought it on a whim because of the label. I interpreted the art as evergreens, and assumed the beer would have a piney flavor. I even figured I’d open this one up after the Two Roads beer with cedar and fir… with the Finback beer being a continuation of a theme.

Boy was I wrong. This is just another NEIPA… and yeah, that reaction sums up my feelings towards the sub-style at the moment.

The beer looks like lemon juice. Head is fleeting, but there’s some fizz in the beer that lingers. Body is medium. Tastes like lemon without being tart but with a smooth bitterness. Some lychee as well but very dull and not vibrant. Perhaps even an extremely muted key lime pie.

I don’t know what plant is on the label and what the idea was, but it certainly steered me in the wrong direction. What’s going on here? Grumble.

40. swenny916

swenny916 Defender (623) Jan 3, 2010 Illinois
    Society Trader

100% agree on the volume comment.

Premo88 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.