New Beer Sunday (Week 696)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lordofthewiens, Jun 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (4,694) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

[​IMG]
    A-Pours a nice copper color with a generous head and lacing
    A-Aroma has slight malty hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a slight malty flavor
    M-A medium bodied well carbonated beer
    O-A good take on the English style IPA

aoampm, LeRose, Budlum and 27 others like this.
  2. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (6,622) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

A tart, sweet, and mildly boozy IPA from MI...

I'm a little torn with this one. It has a tartness and dryness that isn't bad, yet the overall appeal just isn't there. It seems rather cider-y. I like apples and all, yet haven't really gravitated towards apple-like beers.

I can't say that this was the intent of the brewery on this one, but tart, dry is what I get out of this, and it just doesn't fit the bill me...

2beerdogs, aoampm, LeRose and 24 others like this.
  3. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (3,589) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

This initially reminded me alot of Head Hunter but is not quite as good. It's a little difficult to put my finger on why exactly, but it seems to start a little too sweet and to end a little too harsh. There's also a mild, but noticeable booziness to this, which gives it that slightly artificial bubblegum note. Not too bad, mind you, but it's there. Overall a pretty good balance, but seems a little off.

Pours a deep gold/light amber coloration with a small, fizzy head. Smells of bready, caramel malt, orange rind, grapefruit, pineapple and pine. Taste follows the nose, with a good balance of bready, caramel malt and citrus/light tropical hops. Quite resinous with a light dankness. Notes of orange rind, grapefruit, pineapple and lots of pine. Perhaps a little sweet in the beginning, which gets balanced out by a good bitterness though. Finishes with a medium/strong bitterness and more pine coming through in the aftertaste. Medium body and carbonation.

2beerdogs, aoampm, LeRose and 29 others like this.
  4. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,386) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Those Answer Popsicle beers are quite tasty, and a good break between some of the nice Imperial Stouts and DIPAs they have on thier large tap list at the brewery/pub. Agree that they sorta seem to only fit the term "beer" in a technical sense, which is fine as long as you know what you are getting into.

5. smbslt

smbslt Savant (913) Dec 26, 2010 Illinois
    Society

Thanks @lordofthewiens for another intro that gets my brain to down shift with out fail. Certainly the similarities in the unknowns of children and a new beer are there although you have little responsibility to bear if you were not the brewer. I will leave it to the 'Nature vs. Nurture' debaters as to how much influence parents have but uncontrollable laughing fits with my kids due to an arcane reference one of us has made makes me want to believe I had something to do with their senses of humor at least.

Grabbed off the grocery store shelf last evening in haste hoping that some karmic connection might be made between my taste buds and the beer thru my arm. While the name gave me pause, my wife's sushi order beckoned down the street.

[​IMG]

L - Cloudy, medium gold with unavoidable dregs dive bombing from the cover provided by the can into the my Speigelau IPA glass. Decent white head transitions to rocky lumps before pulling back to a ring riding up the side of the glass and a thin layer across the surface.
    S - Initial bright hoppy aromas quickly give way to a stale mustiness.
    T - Surprising sweet beginning followed by a spiciness with no bitterness.
    F - Medium body with off-putting spicy burn.
    O - At least they did not add "Be All and " to its name which it would not even close to describing it. So many better IPAs at the same price point.
    Composite score 2.9 which is very near my drain pour threshold.

2beerdogs, aoampm, LeRose and 30 others like this.
  6. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,714) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Hey what's going on!?

Hi all, been having some fun lately. Lots of World Cup action which has made glued like crazy. Also been having some fun with @TongoRad as well, hope he is doing well.

I went to my old neighborhood to hit up my Latino market and got some crazy goodies for some fish tacos tonight.

I haven't been diggin in to my stash lately, but there's plenty of goodies, but I am working on my pacing these days.

Finally dug into this badboy which has been sitting around, let's see how it goes.

What's new for our hero today?

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass. Bottled August 23rd 2017.

Burnt and rusted red glowing body, with a touch of amber orange. Khaki and fleeting head that dissolves pretty quickly, but manages a creamy good sized collar. This really looks like a barleywine.

Nice aroma. Comes off a sense of possible wet body perhaps, but a good sticky barrel caramel note, touches of vanilla and cream also. Decent nothing amazing though. There's almost a sense of berry like fruit also.

Nice light palate. Doesn't quite have the heft of a stout, but the flavors are at least their by a slightly wet body. Creamy almost nougat with a light wash of caramel flavors on first sip. A bit of fizz carbonation, which unfortunately distracts slightly. Bit of a touch of hop bitterness that's slightly citrus as well which is interesting.

Very interesting take for an Imperial Brown Ale. Doesn't quite absorb all the great barrel notes, but gets some, and has a good interesting flavor.

Look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4 | BA Generated Score: 3.95

Cheers!

2beerdogs, aoampm, LeRose and 28 others like this.
  7. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,869) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

New beers #3 and 4 are @Sixpoint ’s barrel-aged Jammer variants (Tequila and Gin). Going to review them showdown-style.

[​IMG]

Tequila on the left, Gin on the right.

L - Tequila displays a trace head that is gone in seconds. Gin shows a 1-finger silken head that dissolves quite slowly. Tequila’s body is a slightly darker shade of orange, but the two look similar. Advantage: Gin

S - Tequila smells mostly of bright citrus with only a hint of barrel. Gin is milder citrus with more barrel apparent. Advantage: Tie.

T - Tequila starts out orange-forward before the barrel really takes over. I was not expecting this degree of tequila taste based on the nose, but it’s very prominent! Low salinity. Gin features juniper berries, which I get at first, but similar to the Tequila variant, the Gin really takes over. Similar low salinity. Both have no bitterness, minimal sweetness, and no booziness. Advantage: Tequila.

F - both beers feature similar bodies, with gin showing slightly higher levels of carb. Even with the higher abv, both feel perfect for the summer heat. Advantage: Tie.

O - It is quite hard to pick a winner. Ultimately I like the original Citrus Jammer more than both of these barreled versions, so it really comes down to your liquor of choice. I prefer Tequila to Gin, so if pressed to choose I would pick the Tequila version, especially given the more prominent citrus of this version.

Following the individual pours with the cuvee.
    [​IMG]

2beerdogs, aoampm, LeRose and 34 others like this.
  8. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (13,053) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Vanilla Bean Stout, 9.5% ABV. Pours black with a one finger tan head. Nose is bourbon and vanilla, taste follows, plus chocolate and coffee. Moderate bitterness. Excellent mouthfeel, overall excellent.

[​IMG]

2beerdogs, aoampm, LeRose and 28 others like this.
  9. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,472) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Greetings NBSers, many thanks to @lordofthewiens for getting this great recurring thread off and running! When digging through the beer fridge for a brunch beer to accompany the Poland v. Columbia match I did not expect the selected beer to 'speak to me'...given that it was already approaching 90F at 11:00.

My first offering today is Stone's Stygian Descent (rye whiskey BA Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale). Perhaps it was the bitterness of the base beer that drew me to this selection. My wife and I are preparing to close on our first home purchase tomorrow. While exciting, those activities have come at the expense of numerous cancelled backcountry trips for snowboarding and climbing in the past month. So I'm guessing my subconscious sought something bitter to align with those feelings, as I've missed out on prime corn conditions on Mt. Shasta recently.

Pours jet black with nearly 2 fingers of variable density tan head. Good retention and leaves a mixed lacing pattern. Nose is subtle, dominated by oak, char, vanilla, and whiskey, and then some surprising stone fruit undertones. Hops make a mute presence once the beer warms, but this has an aroma profile FAR different from the base beer. Taste brings better balance of the barrel and base beer. Some piney/resinous hops, roasted malt, and whiskey in good balance. Some subtle spiciness from the rye makes a contribution once warm. Finishes far less bitter than the base beer, and clears the palate quickly. Low-medium bodied with moderate carbonation, feels a bit thin on the tongue, with a slick finish.

[​IMG]

Overall I enjoyed the beer. But it didn't 'scratch the itch' of the bitterness I sought of the base beer. I'm happy to have tried this offering, but would rather spend my money on a 6er of the base beer (if Stone ever brings it back into rotation) rather than buy another bottle of this. Overall rating link, BA score = 4.18, rdev = -0.9%

2beerdogs, LeRose, EMH73 and 25 others like this.
  10. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (2,120) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Bells porter
    ..solid black
    ...just above average body but carbonation is a little high so it takes away from the overall feel
    ..aroma is roasted coffee beans,dark black coffee, and malt
    ...taste is dark roasted coffee followed by some malt. Not overly complex but still a nice tasting porter
    ..overall the taste is nice but the carbonation made the feel somewhat unpleasant[​IMG]

2beerdogs, aoampm, LeRose and 27 others like this.
  11. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,491) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Time for another can, Foam The Shining. Love the label and the beer is great!

4.32/5 rDev -0.7%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

16 oz can, dated 6/21/18, poured into a teku

A- A hazy golden straw with a small white head.

S- Cantaloupe, some pineapple, some mango, tropical fruits, some citrus, mildly dank.

T- Tropical fruits, melons, citrus, piney, hints of berries.

M- Smooth, medium body, a little creamy.

O- A nice DIPA, worth seeking out, easy to drink.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!

2beerdogs, aoampm, Psilo and 26 others like this.
  12. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Savant (982) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Trader

Happ Sunday NBS players. A rather humid and overcast summer day here on the island. Watching the hapless Mets game, (couldn’t even come up with a starting pitchers or today’s game), and relaxing most of the day. I have a few new brews today but we’ll see how many I’m able to get to.

My first new beer today is Decadent Delight, imperial stout brewed w/ pistachio, cinnamon, and coconut, a collabo from Evil Twin/ Decadent brewing. The brew checks in at 11.7% abv and has a 4/24/18 canning date.

A black color on the pour with a frothy brown head. The nose is mostly chocolate malt and sugars. A rush of the chocolate malt and cinnamon hits upfront on the initial sips. Rather smooth on the flow and finish. The cinnamon flavor really seems to be the most pronounced element. There is a definite dry nutty note but it’s a rather mixed flavor and I’m not really picking up either of the nuts on their own. Still, the flavors work pretty week together. The feel is a touch boozy but not over done. Sweet lactose on the finish seems to really lend to a semi-sticky feel as well.

Overall, I’m finding it a decent brew. I like the different flavors and it’s rather easy drinking for the abv. I’m right around a 4 here players.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2beerdogs, aoampm, Psilo and 30 others like this.
  13. threeviews

threeviews Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2011 Florida

Ahh, I greet all fellow viewers of NBS with my contribution...from none other than Duvel-Moorgat...
    Duvel Single Fermented Belgian Golden Ale:
    [​IMG]
    ...lovely matte black can!

Freshness:
    [​IMG]
    ...based on the Best By Date (and the fact that these cans just dropped in my market), it appears that Duvel-Moortgat is placing a 10-month shelf-life for Duvel Single Fermented

Can descriptor:
    [​IMG]
    ...this is a new recipe since no prior versions of Duvel Single/Green ever enjoyed a dry hop (let alone a dry hop of Citra!)

Review:
    Poured from a nicely presented, matte black can into an oversized (non-nucleated) Belgian Tulip glass. Since Duvel Single Fermented is just that, it does not have the carbonation to withstand a normal (and nucleated) Duvel glass without going flat very quickly.

A - Pours a crystal clear, pale gold color with a head that just approaches 1-finger. (4.25)

S - Due to the dry hopping, the nose falls somewhere between classic Duvel and Duvel Tripel Hop Citra with the former winning out...the Duvel yeast is most prominent, but there are hints of peach, pear, tropical fruits and citrus (orange, grapefruit and lemon/lime). (4.5)

T - All of the classic Duvel traits are represented here...yet, a bit more bright. (4.5)

M - Medium to Medium-Light which lends to extreme drinkability. This is an absolute crusher of a beer that hits all the right notes for a beer that defines the style. (5.0)

O - $11 4-Pack of 500ml cans is more than reasonable considering Delirium Tremens cans (albeit, 8.5% ABV) are ~$19 4-Pack. Duvel Single Fermented pours clear, the Citra dry hop is noticeable and the beer drinks as easily as a sub-5% lager with much more complex flavor. Yes, please! (5.0)

Cheers everyone!

#53 threeviews, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    2beerdogs, aoampm, Psilo and 31 others like this.
  14. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (2,643) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good afternoon NBS
    I'm home from summer baseball wanderings and pouring this beer in a glass for the first time (makes it new right?).
    [​IMG]
    The review:
    12oz canned 5/25/18 (31 days ago) poured into a tall pilsner glass at fridge temp 5.5% ABV. The beer pours bright straw yellow with sticky off white head.
    The head recedes to a splotchy cap and leaves some lacing. The aroma is fairly pungent lemony and earthy in nature. The taste follows with a nice light malt body initially and then a rush of hop flavor. I get a lemon and grass taste predominantly. The mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied, adequately carbonated, soft and mostly dry in the finish. The nature, amount and profile of the hops keep this beer from finishing completely dry. Overall, excellent. Outstanding use of new hops in an old style to create something different and delicious.

This beer was entered in the database yesterday as a German Pilsner. I can see that or American Pale Lager. Either way, lovely beer. Cheers all & enjoy the new beer in your glass today!

2beerdogs, aoampm, Psilo and 31 others like this.
  15. puboflyons

puboflyons Poo-Bah (5,652) Jul 26, 2008 New Hampshire
    Society

My son came up to me and asked if I wanted to go for a walk with him. I said "sure." I thought it would be a nice father-son bonding time - but no, he wanted to look for Pokemon on his Pokemon Go app. I guess that game is back in vogue. Ah well.

This one is a one-off from Shipyard of Maine. It is their Hoppy Pride Hazy IPA. Canned for the first time 05-25-2018 so it is new. 6.7% ABV. Another New England IPA in New England. June is Pride Month so it is not surprising that at least one brewery would release something to coincide with that. This had a big bitter bite

[​IMG]

2beerdogs, aoampm, Psilo and 26 others like this.
  16. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (3,589) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

This somewhat reminds me of Rare BCBS, with its strong, heavy bourbon notes and high booziness, but seems somewhat more complex and better balanced, actually. Having said that, I would still prefer Mephistopheles over this, which has a lot more interesting flavour profile that just gets muddled up by the strong, boozy bourbon and added coffee notes of this.

I will also say that, given the HUGE 17.8% ABV of the 2014 batch, this is *relatively* impressively mellow, but still slighty over the top for my personal taste. At the end of the day, this just proves to me that BBA and added addjunks don't necessarily make things better. To me the subtle nuances of Mephistopheles get drowned out in a slightly too sweet and boozy brew here.

Pours a pitch black coloration with a tiny, fizzy head. Smells of dark and lighter red fruit, dark chocolate, coffee, vanilla, molasses, toffee and brown sugar. Taste is similarily complex, but a little too sweet and boozy, dominated by the sweeter and barrel-heavy notes of vanilla, bourbon, toffee, molasses and brown sugar, with lighter notes of dark and red fruits: date, raisin, cherry, dark chocolate, coffee and oak. Finishes quite sweet, with a very light bitterness and quite a boozy bourbon aftertaste. Thick, oily mouthfeel with quite a rich body and low carbonation.

17. Vidblain

Vidblain Savant (958) Feb 17, 2017 Minnesota
    Trader

Good afternoon, NBS! I don't have much to contribute to the general theme this week, but cheers to @lordofthewiens all the same, and thanks for getting us started. More importantly, congratulations on your impending retirement - that's quite the accomplishment, and I hope it brings you great pleasure! I've been thinking on that a bit lately, and had a sort of "retirement" party of my own recently... I'm only thirty-six, and the cost of housing and living in general makes me wonder whether I'll ever be able to afford that particular pleasure. Fingers crossed.

This has been a busy week here - many beer-related things going on. Barrel Theory, probably our best Minnesota brewery at this point in time (honorable mention also to Wild Mind, my favorite local producer of sours), had a one year anniversary celebration on Friday. Featured on tap was one of my favorite things - an apple brandy barrel-aged stout! That was quite tasty - but for lack of seating or places to set down my glass, I do not have a decent picture to share. Suffice to say it was thick, rich, and very pleasantly warm. The booze was well-balanced by chocolate and light apple. I love how beautiful a glass coated with thick, oily stout looks - great, satisfying aesthetic.

I made the mistake of overdoing it from there on Friday, as I wanted to pick up cans for a regular trading partner... and drank just four or fives of those cans... consequently, I missed out on five or six phone calls at midnight. You see, Toppling Goliath announced the release of SR-71, and I missed it.

This is fine. It was just a bit disappointing. I'd been waiting for this release, and it was honestly one of a very small number of things that I've been looking forward to this summer. Again - it's fine. I actually had plenty of fun with my Saturday anyway - as I'd been planning a "retirement" party with friends for quite a while. What was it that made it a retirement party? Well - I've been spending too much money on beer for a couple of years now. I've been trading and hunting bottles like crazy. I decided that it was probably time to take a break from bottle hunting, at the very least - trading to continue, most likely, and BIFs, for sure. I'd like to work on selling my house, moving to a nicer area, and possibly enrolling in a master's degree program before I get in to my forties. So, beer needs to take a bit of a back seat.

So, friends I had a little bit of a share to "celebrate".

[​IMG]

Just a little share. Lots of wishlist bottles though - it's great to be going out with a bang like this. When I started seriously getting in to craft beer, about three years ago, several of these were bottles that I immediately picked off of Untappd and wishlisted. It's pretty cool to be checking them off, finally.

After all of those big stouts, I'm not feeling all that awful today, surprisingly - mostly just a bit sad that all of those bottles are gone now, and I may never drink them again.

Anyway. I'm taking it easy today. Need to give my body a little rest. We didn't actually make it through the entirety of my bucket list bottles last night, so a follow-up share will be happening at some point... but, I'm going to enjoy a little bit of time off prior to that.

I didn't say I won't be drinking though. Today, I'm enjoying a little IPA from my new regular trading partner @Ryannotbryan - this is my first Roughtail beer, and it's definitely a great place to start. Thank you for the extra, Ryan!

[​IMG]

Adaptation Ale, per the can, is brewed four times a year, and each batch can be expected to be a different experience. Being my first, I can't speak to that - but the beer has a very nice sweet, juicy aroma and taste to it. It's a bit yeasty in texture and dank in taste as well. Light bitterness balances the sweetness well and gives it pleasant dimension. I like this, and particularly enjoy the can art. Very nice!

I'll probably be back for more later. Cheers, NBS - hope you've all had a great week!

18. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (3,372) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Tired Hands Grafted Oblivex Gewürtztramer Double IPA

Greetings, BAs. Hope you're all enjoying your Sundays. Today's new beer was part of the Tired Hands sixth anniversary release, and is definitely one of my favorites from that day.

It pours a very hazy, almost-cloudy, light-peach color with a fat finger of foamy, near-white head that leaves sheets of lacing.

It has a lovely aroma of mango, white wine, flowers and fresh green herbs.

It's similarly "green" tasting with more bitter herbs, some cut grass, light peach, light citrus and a refined white wine taking the lead, and just a hint of tropical fruit and vanilla in the background. Nice moderate bitterness lingers in the finish.

It's full bodied with a little creaminess and good carbonation in the feel.

At a month old this is incredibly refreshing, with a great herbal bitterness not too common to NEIPAs.

I think I enjoyed this a lot more than @larryi86 and @CanConPhilly, who seemed to find it much sweeter than I did. If you guys have any cans left, try it now. You might like it better at this age. :beers:

19. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

New beer #4.

Same, But Different - Other Half
    Imperial Hoppy Pilsner - 7.5% abv
    Canned 6/11/18 (14 days ago)
    Score: 3.84 (-1.9% rDev)

[​IMG]

L - 1-finger fizzy head atop a translucent orange body. Looks like an ipa.

S - citrus, pine, a little grass, a little sweetness. Smells like an ipa.

T - citrus, corn, and grassy hops. Caramel malt is prevalent and adds sweetness. Middle is very clean. Finishes dry. Moderate-low sweetness. Low bitterness. Medium-low booziness.

F - medium-light body with above average carb.

O - I don’t have a ton of knowledge about the Imperial Pilsner style, but this is somewhat refreshing on a 90 degree day. Non-imperial would have been preferable though, to cut back on the sweetness and booze.

20. JBowenGeorgia

JBowenGeorgia Crusader (735) Sep 1, 2016 Georgia
    Trader

Hoping to get in a new beer later this evening, out running around doing some fun stuff with my boys for now. Looking forward to sharing a beer with them sometime but as they are only 5 and 9 years old now we'll settle for sharing these.

Golden in color with a quarter inch of white head.
    Not much on the aroma.
    Taste is pineapple and mango, maybe a little pine if you really search for it.
    Probably the most dense beer I've ever had.
    Overall a tasty treat to share with my boys.
    Cheers until a bit later on!

2beerdogs, Psilo, strohme2 and 26 others like this.
  21. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,194) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Been a fun weekend between celebrating a friend qualifying for Ironman World Championships, another friend getting married, having one of my best friends back in town, and starting up my next project on the car. Not to mention some great World Cup matches. Time to sit back, turn out the rest of the world, and tune into a beer. This bottle landed to me via @TheHopsman .

[​IMG]

Kros Strain's Hopstreaker.

Pours an opaque orange that seems to glow within the glass. Head formation is a finger of snow-white foam with fair retention. Aroma is tangerine, mango and orange, and biscuit and nutted malts. Flavor profile is tangerine, mango, orange, papaya, lemongrass, and lemon zest. There is a hint of biscuit and nutted malts. Despite a full list of citrus notes, it isn't heavy or jam packed with tongue twisting notes. Mouth feel is a light fizziness that when combined with a modest chalky feeling doesn't come off super refreshing. It has a medium thickness. Overall, lots of notes, but well controlled and tempered. The label reads "pale ale", and while it is quite hoppy for a pale ale, the malts shine through well.

Score: 4 | 4.25 | 4.25 | 4 | 4.25 | BA Score: 4.21 | rDev: 0% (only one other rating)

Personal notes:
    I believed this beer to be mis-labeled on the bottle, after all it says "pale ale". I was anticipating a super hoppy "pale ale" more akin to a NE IPA. I was pleasantly surprised that the label was correct.

Finished this just in time to watch some Atlanta United FC vs. Portland Timbers. Quite a change from World Cup play.

Cheers!

22. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,550) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Happy Sunday, New Beer Samplers and commentators. First and foremost, congratulations @lordofthewiens on your imminent retirement. I know you can look back with satisfaction and deserved pride on a career of providing the best care possible to your patients. You merit our accolades and best wishes!

On to beer. It finally seems like June here in North Jersey - hot and muggy. I've been waiting for the right weather to try Barn Beer from Plan Bee Farm Brewery up in @cavedave's stomping grounds, Poughkeepsie, NY, in the Hudson Valley. I'll start by saying that Wild Ales and I have an uneasy relationship at best. At times the sourness can be overwhelming. My daughter really likes sours but my palate isn't very sophisticated when it comes to this style. But I really, really enjoyed this offering. The wild yeast is toned down and the flavors are delicate and blend really well. The tart lemon is balanced by some honey at the end. What's remarkable is the feel. It's both crisp and creamy at the same time. Here's my full review:

4.29/5 rDev +2.4%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from undated 12.7 oz. bottle into tulip glass. It pours a hazy, golden-straw color with a large, long-lasting, fluffy, bright white head and copious lacing. It's a pretty pour. The fragrant nose features fresh lemon, brett yeast, coriander, clove, and pepper. Upfront, the flavors include tart lemon, oak, and wild yeast. But as the glass warms, I also begin to taste some sweet honey at the end. There is also subtle coriander, clove, and peppercorn. The flavors are all measured and delicate. Unlike many Wild Ales, Barn Beer doesn't overwhelm with sourness. The mouth feel is wonderful: it manages to be both crisp and creamy. As expected, the carbonation is lively and it's highly drinkable at 5.5% ABV. Overall, I'm very impressed! Barn Beer is highly flavorful and fun to drink without being overly sour. In fact, it's a great ale with which to introduce someone to the world of sours. Barn Beer should be enjoyed outdoors on warm, sunny, late spring or early summer day with a plate of cheese and fresh strawberries.

I hope you're all enjoying your new beer(s) today. The reviews are great. I'll be back soon with a stout.

23. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,092) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

lordofthewiens likes this.
  24. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (5,511) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] Poured into a 13 oz Free Will Teku glass, canned on 6/14/18. Pours a very hazy yellow with a massive 2 plus finger sticky white head that leaves loads of thin wisps of lace as it slowly settles into a thick layer of bubbles. 4.5

Smell is guava, passionfruit, pineapple, tangerine, and some mild grapefruit bitterness.4.25

Taste follows tropical front too back, guava, passionfruit with some grapefruit in the balanced finish. 4.25

Mouthfeel is bigger than medium, plenty of life but a little soft as it should be, not dry but sticky from the insane amount of hops, and at 7% goes down easy, but drinks bigger. 4.5

Overall this is a tremendous NEIPA, that probably should get a bigger and better grade, but with all the hype around this place I sadly was hoping for more.4.25

25. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,092) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Here's my brood on Father's Day. Owen in front of me is eight and Sylvan in front of Martha is eleven. Will is thirty three and Lauren is thirty six. James and Lauren were born two days apart thirty six years ago. Our neighbor took this photo after a long hot hike. Without a doubt, in an eventful life, my children are the greatest pleasure I might have ever imagined. Cheers @lordoftheweins, congratulations, and cheers to all[​IMG]

2beerdogs, LeRose, bret717 and 17 others like this.
  26. larryi86

Society Trader

Maybe I should have waited to drink my can, I ended up trading my other 3 cans!

thebeers, Premo88 and CanConPhilly like this.
  27. CanConPhilly

Society Trader

New beer #6.

Lingonparon - Other Half
    Pear and Lingonberry Berliner - 5% abv
    Canned 6/19/18 (6 days ago)
    Purchased for $18/4 at Other Half
    Score: 3.97 (-3.5% rDev)

[​IMG]

L - 1-finger bright white head atop a translucent pinkish purple body.

S - salt, mixed berries, brown sugar.

T - salted berries. There is pear in here but not detecting much of it. No bitterness. Low sweetness. No booziness.

F - light bodied with high carb.

O - An enjoyable hot-weather berliner, but overpriced for what it is. Not a lot of fruit added to this. The salt is the most prominent ingredient.

28. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,194) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Zipline + Boulevard's Getting Down.

Pours a foggy straw color with a finger of white foam. Head retention is fair. Aroma is citrus and lactose. It smells heavy, the humid air in the heart of a rainforest, but carries notes of an orange tree patch on a diary farm. Flavor profile is orange, tangerine, and mango. The flavor profile is a bit thinner than the aroma would imply. While 8.5% isn't super high alcohol for a DIPA, it does make its presence known. Mouth feel is medium-thick with a velvety, fizzy texture that is soft and welcoming. Overall, good hop notes although the aroma feels a bit top heavy when compared with the flavor profile.

Score: 4.25 | 4 | 4.25 | 4 | 4 | BA Score: 4.12 | rDev: 0%

29. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,699) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Congrats to @lordofthewiens on his retirement. I sort of tried that for a few years after I got out of the Military, but was too young & later not flush with cash, so we shall call it a work hiatus. When you are truly ready I am sure it is a sweet deal.

Fist beer up a local New Providence Philospher King IPA, weighing in at 6.0 ABV & 70 IBUs 3.71 overall

Canned 05/18/2018, pours golden with one finger of beige colored head. Alright head retention & lacing

S: Some citrus & grassy notes

T: Tangerine, green melon, and grassyness up front, plus a littl dryness. Grapefruit peel, dryness, slight white grape & bready presence. Crisp finish, tangerine & pink grapefruit also on show

MF: Medium body, firm carbonation good balance

A pleasant IPA, I do like their draft products better & presume it would be the case with this one. Drinkable enough

30. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,438) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Cheers, @lordofthewiens, and congrats on your wonderful family and your impending retirement. I’m not quite to that landmark in a person’s life, but I can see it in the distance - and it is coming into focus very quickly.

I have a single beer today because Mrs O and I are meeting a former boss for both of us for dinner. If I have any mentors in my work career, he is one of two.

The beer is courtesy of @bl00, and is part of the never ending beer orgy otherwise known as NBS BIF #007. He’s the 5th person that’s sent me beer in this magnificent BIF (the others are @Buck89 , @JBowenGeorgia , @jhavs , and ozzylizard). I am overwhelmed by the generosity of these wonderful beer nerds.

PS: the glassware is from another beer nerd extraordinaire @beerloserLI and BIF #4, IIRC.In case you can’t tell, I am a strong advocate for BIF participation.

I present for your perusal this offering from Diamondback Brewing out of Baltimore.

[​IMG]

4.42/5 rDev +3%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

My first beer from these guys, I popped the top, poured, got BLASTED by the pithy citrusy hop aromas, quickly poured it and saw the very hazy golden color and scads of floaties and all I could think was, “this is a Heady clone.”

I really dislike thinking that way, the “beer comparator” line of thinking, but the taste did nothing but tighten that linkage in my mind - the pity citrus notes are dominant, but there’s a depth of flavor that keeps the bitterness right on the edge between “too bitter” and “perfectly bitter.”

This lands on the “perfectly bitter” side of the line, IMHO. I think it is world-class in the “old school NEIPA” category, if that makes sense (Heady, Focal, SoS, MBC stuff, etc).

31. larryi86

Society Trader

Now up Upper Pass Cloud Drop, I was lucky enough that to store I was able to grab Focal Banger from just got some of this in.

4.39/5 rDev +1.2%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

16 oz can, dated 6/20/18

A- A hazy/murky copper/amber with a two finger white head

S- Tropical fruits, some stone fruits, sweet oranges, citrus.

T- Oranges, citrus rind, some citrus zest, tropical fruits, resin, some pine, touch of caramel malts.

M- Smooth, medium body

O- A good DIPA with a classic bitterness and great fruit notes.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!

32. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,524) May 5, 2010 Ohio
    Society Trader

Good evening NBS, hope everyone is enjoying the end of the weekend once again. Thanks to @lordofthewiens for getting us started off this morning. Normal weekend as usual. Made a new beer haul yesterday again and got a lot of stuff I was looking for. Packed up 2 boxes to ship out from recent trades this evening. Going to be a busy week for me. I have a bunch of assembly plant data tables that need urgent updating, because we are missing a whole new powertrain; so basically we can't build any of those until it's fixed. I got about 75% of that done on Friday. Got my usual laundry done for the week, along with a grocery run and bottle return trip.

Awesome German pils! Great head retention and spotty lacing on the glass. Aromas and flavors of big cracker, white bread dough, toasted biscuit, and light honey/nutty malts; with a fair amount of herbal, grassy, peppery noble hops. Light-moderate herbal, grassy, peppery bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation/body, and moderately crisp/clean finishing. Balanced bready/grainy malts and sticky hops in the mouthfeel. Light-moderate increasing bitter dryness. Very flavorful/refreshing, 5%. Perfectly clean lagering, no fruitiness. Very impressive. I'm glad they actually went traditional, instead of their usual American over hopping of lagers I've had in the past. Very clean and nicely rich pale/Munich malts, with nice noble hop presence/balance. Would buy again. 4.1
    [​IMG]

Thanks @RaulMondesi, your box is ready to go! Wow, fantastic! Great head retention and dense lacing on the glass. Aromas and flavors of huge tangerine, orange juice, grapefruit, lemon, peach, pear, pineapple, apricot, passion fruit, strawberry, mango, melon, and citrus zest hops; with moderate wheat, white bread dough malts; and herbal, floral, grassy hop earthiness. Absolutely zero bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation/body; very creamy/silky/grainy malts in the mouthfeel. Minimal dryness, no cloying sweetness. Zero warming 6.5%. Almost refreshingly drinkable. Well damn, this is just about the softest NEIPA I've ever had. Drinks like a fruit smoothie. Super juicy Simcoe/Amarillo hop showcase; with perfect oat/spelt/malt balance. The aromas were better than the flavors in this case. The orange juice vibrancy was wonderful. I'd say they might be worth the price point :wink:. 4.27
    [​IMG]

Cheers, be back later NBS.

33. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,036) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Good Afternoon and Thanks @lordofthewiens for the wake up and wonderful story. Speaking of family Im just back from Lenox Western Mass visiting my daughter who will be teaching theatre there for the summer. Beautiful area. Of course I had to visit a liquor store and low and behold there was a top notch selection of craft brews. Some of those Western Mass beers that are hard to come by plus many others. Decent pricing as well. Picked this one because - well not sure why except its Pipeworks and fruited IPAs always underwhelm me so I gambled with: Pipeworks Wongo Mongo IPA with pineapple juice.
    Pours a slightly hazy straw yellow color with an off white 2" head, fluffy in nature that lasts quite sometime leaving some nice "world map" lacing.
    Smells of yup, you guessed it pineapple, but in a gentle way. Nice sweet citrus peeks in with grapefruit notes, some mildly fruity hops and clean pale malts as well.
    Taste follows with the pineapple- but not acidic in any way. A nice wave of fruits possibly a small dose of Mosaic and something lemon/citrus possibly Centennial, though Im no expert on identifying hops. Nice clean taste with soft bitterness. Pretty tasty.
    Lightly coats the tongue, medium light body, crisp and dry with a lingering finish with the nice bitterness.
    Overall one better fruited IPAs Ive tried.
    The fruit doesnt take over and there is a nice balance to this brew. Definitely an easy drinking summer IPA. Will satisfy your thirst. Just under 10$ so in line with most bombers. I would buy again for a hot summer day. [​IMG] Enjoy the rest of your Sunday and your week. Peace

34. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,955) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

I guess you don't get credit for a review on a retired beer.:angry:

Happy NBS!

Cheers!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#74 Wasatch, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  35. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,714) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Ah mes amis... time for another new beer!

Poured from the can into a teku style glass as suggested.

Grapefruit orange body color, with more of a hint of ruby red tone, and some opaque appearances Fleeting but good creamy touch of two finger head, that hits with snap fizz and settles quickly to a bubbled collar.

Real nice aroma. Juiced touches of peach, and larger strawberry character and salt. Fruity tangy qualities, with a hint of brine to match. Extremely clean and light bodied sensing on the nose. Big strawberry action on this.

Palate seem to go a little different direction. Neutral mouthfeel and flavor on first sip. A decent depth of wheat chew, but fairly neutral. Aftertaste brings strangely the bulk of really good quality. Large bakery and crusty salt action on the finish. A real bursting strawberry juice quality on the finish too, nearly gets down right jammy.

Very interesting gose, but has some very odd neutrality on first sips. The awards seem to await in the end making it worthy of a solid brew.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4 | BA Generated: 3.96

Cheers!

36. FlintB

FlintB Initiate (0) May 27, 2017 Michigan

Good evening NBSers! While my children are not old enough to share a beer with, they have probably visited more breweries than any of my friends. Brewery visits are a part of our family vacations. Last week I was lucky enough to watch them play frisbee in the field at one brewery, have a family game of UNO at another, and a family game of Apples to Apples at a third. I assured them that someday they would look back on these trips fondly.

Today I'm having a brew @larryi86 sent me in the last round of the NBS BIF:

[​IMG]

Wisdom's Hour from Victory, and barrel aged sour ale.

It pours a very dark reddish brown, with tiny bubbles forming a head that dissipates and regenerates quickly. The nose is funky, earthy, and woody with a hint of red berry. Huge red wine character on the palate. Juicy and dry, with a long slightly tart and bitter finish.

This is the kind of complex brew that I struggle to describe but enjoy slowly unpacking. Thank you Larry!

37. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,699) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Thirsty Dog Wulver in Sherry Barrels, not bad, but expected more, 3.45 overall

Pours a chill-hazed chestnut with a sliver of tan head. Stays pretty hazy, no head retention, about the same on lacing

S: Figs, leafy hops

T: Follows the nose, some peaty notes. Dryness, figs, raisins, black currants as this warms, a touch of cakeyness, a little more peatyness; a touch of booze & barrel dryness. Finishes a little dry with toffee, & faint peat notes

MF: Light/medium body, assertive carbonation. Body thickens a touch once warm, still over gassed

At $ 20 a bottle 750 mL bottle, this is a dissapointment. Had higher hopes

38. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (3,879) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Society Trader

Thanks to my TH guy, I had to change my original plans for this evening's NBS. :rolling_eyes: I had a BFM Biere de Champagne all set and chillin' in the fridge. Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad at all and may still get to it tonight. :wink: Cheers!

[​IMG]

Moderate pour yields 3/4 inch white head over a hazier than normal pilsener with some lacing. Nose of cracker and ever so slight citrus. Taste of cracker, a bit of sweetness, and a semi dry/crisp finish. In other words, not crisp enough for the style as the sweetness holds back its "crisp" potential. Good feel and overall, something I wouldn't turn down if offered, but not exactly true to the style. Cheers!

3.85/5 rDev -3.3%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

39. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,524) May 5, 2010 Ohio
    Society Trader

Looks like I get to be the first written review, as usual. Very nice session (milkshake?) sour. Great head retention/lacing for the style. Aromas and flavors of juicy/lightly tart peaches, fruit skin, apricot, lemon, lime, orange, pear, red/green apple, white grape, hay, straw, and grass; with moderate vanilla, cream, wheat, cracker, white bready malts; light lacto funk, and yeast earthiness. Light fruity/lactic tartness on the finish. Medium-high carbonation, medium body, and fairly crisp/clean finishing. Creamy/grainy wheat/lactose, and light acidity/tangy fruit in the mouthfeel. Lightly increasing tart/tangy fruit dryness, no puckering. Very flavorful/refreshing, 4.5%. Not watery at all. Nicely balanced Lacto and fruit flavors; with a perfectly balanced malt/lactose backing against acidity. This tastes a lot like the Odd Side Fruitsicles, which I enjoy a lot. Would buy this again. Did not expect lactose initially, but it worked well. Great summer beer. 3.9
    [​IMG]

Very nice fruit IPA. Nice head retention/lacing on the glass. Flavors of big juicy ruby red grapefruit, tangerine, lemon, peach, pineapple, passion fruit, mango, melon, white grape/wine, berry, citrus peel/zest, light pepper, and pine hops; with moderate toasted biscuit, light caramel malts; and herbal, floral, grassy hop earthiness. Similar/muted aromas. Light-moderate pine, citrus peel/zest, herbal, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish, Medium-plus carbonation and medium body; balanced bready/grainy malt and sticky hops in the mouthfeel. Slight resins. Light-moderate increasing bitter/carbonated dryness, no hop astringency. Very smooth and pretty refreshing for 6.6%. Pretty old on the can(8/17), but very tasty stuff. Friend gave it to me for free. Galaxy and Nelson hops. Juicy and lightly dank hops/fruit; nice bready malt backbone, with minimal residual sweetness. Held up well. Really enjoyable. 3.88
    [​IMG]

Cheers, be back soon NBS.

40. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,006) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

New Beer Sunday (Week 696)
    Greetings fellow NBSers from back home on the ridge in Mid Hud Val, NY. Hot day driving north, very relaxed now with the aid of this crazy beer that wants to be a Margarita. Not what I expected but now I think of it what is it possible to expect of this strange idea that, in the beer store, I really thought could produce something tasty. Tasty it is, refreshing it isn't.
    [​IMG]
    Pours a rather unappetizing looking tannish gold, with a finger of white, quick to leave, foam.

Full aroma that does smell like a Margarita right down to the lime and Cointreau. I even imagine I can smell the tequila.

Full flavored taste that veers away from the aroma. Thought I smelled lime, but here no lime, citrus notes instead that are less distinct, but very tasty, with thick sugar syrup spicy alcohol kick to it also. Nice sour yeast bite with a slight hint of salt completes blend.

Highly viscous, not all that refreshing like a gose ought to be, low carb. that works well. Very resinous and the finsih is a thick linger that does taste like a Margarita.

I liked all the features of this beer, but am not as happy about the mix of them as I'd hoped. Worth a shot for the uniqueness, tasty for what it is, but not a winner this time for Chris.

Hope you have a Great American Beer in your glass. Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.