New Beer Sunday (Week 696)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lordofthewiens, Jun 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bstoos

bstoos Initiate (66) Dec 7, 2017 New York
    Trader

My dad is retiring with his last day of work being July 3rd, after 40 years as a registered nurse. It's pretty exciting for him as he'll spend the rest of the summer fishing and gardening. I have a long way to go before then, but I do have a 3-year old who I'm just trying not to screw up too bad. She seems pretty bright and well-adjusted to date so we must not be doing too awful.

Last night I had a new beer courtesy of @PassMeAZima for the Locals Summer Sixer BIF: Pushing Buttons by Southern Grist Brewery collaborating with Aslin. It is a farmhouse IPA, which I had never heard of before. Poured a golden color with a lot of sediment and had a scent of creamsicle. The taste was tart creamsicle with a creamy mouthfeel. It was an odd and interesting beer. It was decent and I am glad I tried it, but don't think I'd search it out again.

2. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

New Beer Sunday: New IPA

Evenin’ NBSers, back again with a special heads up for seekers of an IPA with lots of citrus flavors.

This evening’s new beer is the Idolatrous IPA from Stone. This beer is said to be a limited new release and appears to be a Stone exploratory hop combination with its El Dorado and Mosaic hops.

As usual, my review, subject to revision until the beer is finished, can be found here:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/327549/?ba=drtth#review

The aromas/flavors of this IPA are hop forward, as we’d expect from Stone. There’s lots of grapefruit and other citrus up front. In the background there are some light tropical fruits, a touch of resin and/or citric zest along with just a touch of caramel sweetness from the malt backbone. The dry ending has both some nice bitterness and a bit of floral and tropical fruit character.

Tonight's music on the player is a collection of classics performed by my all time favorite jazz pianist, Art Tatum.

Here’s a sample:

Over the Rainbow

Cheers, all!

3. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,979) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Congrats Doc, guess you're counting the days now. My brother retired a year ago, and just got head-hunted off his linkedin with an offer he couldn't refuse. Hopefully your retirement "takes" :grin:. Mine sure has. Time to kick back, smell the roses, and inhale the free life. Enjoy!

4. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,417) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Hello New Beer Sunday!!!

Hello from NorthWest Angle.

What a view, and what an amazing day of fishing.

On to the beer

Modist Brewing First Call

Delicious coffee flavor, and a nice finish.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/43654/231344/

Back to dinner, and back to fishing after. See you later with BCBBW.

5. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (3,862) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Society Trader

Sucking this down while my dinner is warming up.

[​IMG]

16 oz. can.
    Moderate pour yields a one inch white head over a murky body with some sticky lacing. Wonderful nose of tropical fruit (mango, papaya), citrus (blood orange, tangerine), and slight floral, herbal, and pine as well. Taste of aforementioned fruit with a bit of dank bitterness from middle to end. Feel is a bit more particulate than carbonation, hence the lower score. Overall, still an enjoyable experience. Cheers!

4.32/5 rDev -2.9%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

6. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,533) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    I've had all sorts of problems posting photos this weekend. There must be a problem with the server at my office. Central Waters distro is spotty in NJ and Cassian Sunset finally appeared at a local bottle shop. It's an outstanding BA Imperial Stout. The only thing holding it back is a rather thin mouth feel. Here's my review:

4.34/5 rDev -0.9%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2018 vintage. Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass. It pours nearly ink black with some dark cola hues at the bottom of the glass, and a creamy cap of khaki-colored head and a thin sheen of lacing. It has a great, aromatic nose featuring cocoa, freshly-brewed coffee, caramel, lactose, black cherry, and nuts. Just delicious! It opens with big, bold chocolate, along with freshly-brewed black coffee, cinnamon, caramel, oak, dark fruit, and nuts. While there are also bourbon notes they are light and complement - rather than distract from - the other flavors. In fact, it has all the flavors I like in an Imperial Stout. Each taste is distinct and bold but they blend very well. It's not quite as viscous as KBS, BCBS, and BOMB! but it nevertheless has a pleasing mouth feel with low carbonation, and the 10% ABV brings some heat. Overall, Cassian Sunset is an exceptional BA Imperial Stout. If the feel were a bit thicker, then it would be one of the very best of the style.

7. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,519) May 5, 2010 Ohio
    Society Trader

Another new gose. Very nice stuff. Aromas and flavors of lightly tart lemon, lime, orange, peach, pear, melon, coriander, peppercorn, red/green apple, white grape, sea salt, hay, straw, and grass; with some wheat, cracker, white bready malts; light lacto/musty funk, and yeast earthiness. A bit muted aromas. Light-moderate lactic tartness and coriander/yeast spiciness on the finish. Medium-high carbonation, light-medium body, and moderately crisp/clean finishing. Balanced grainy malt, lactic acid, sticky spice, and light salinity in the mouthfeel. Moderate increasing tart/spicy/carbonated dryness. Very flavorful/refreshing, 5%. Not too watery. Not overly lactic or salty. Not as much acidity as expected, but they only partially kettle soured it. Nicely balanced Lacto/German yeast, coriander, and salt; with a solid pale/wheat malt backbone. Well made style example. 3.88
    [​IMG]

Excellent saison. Fantastic head retention and lasting thick lacing on the glass. Aromas and flavors of big lemon, lime, orange, peach, pear, melon, red apple, black tea, coriander, peppercorn, clove, and light banana yeast; with moderate wheat, cracker, white bready malts; herbal, floral, grassy hops and yeast earthiness. Moderate peppery yeast spiciness and herbal/floral/grassy bitterness on the finish. Medium-high carbonation, light-medium body, and moderately crisp/clean finishing. Balanced bready/grainy malt and sticky hops/spice in the mouthfeel. Moderate increasing bitter/spicy/carbonated dryness, no hop/spice astringency. Very refreshing for 6.3%. Being that my experience is mainly sours with these guys; was expected something wild, but was not the case. 100% classic rustic saison yeast complexity; with great balance of earl grey tea, earthy hops, and pale/wheat malts. Really spot on stuff! 4.03
    [​IMG]

Cheers, have a good night NBS.

8. scream

scream Meyvn (1,358) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Thanks for your service !! Enjoy the beers.

2beerdogs likes this.
  9. Psilo

Psilo Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2017 California

Hello, NBS. Good to be here.

Tonight I am having the most recent revolution of Firestone Walker's Luponic Distortion series, no 10.

[​IMG]

Pours golden yellow, a finger of dense fluffy foam lasts and leaves bands of lacing.

Smells lighly fruity with some grapefruit. Not much else.

Very light in flavor. Some grapefruit, light malt, fruity sweetness. Has some mineral flavors initially. Not getting any creamsicle or peach ring flavors that the can advertises. A bit watery. Refreshing and light for the summer, but not the flavors or intensity I was expecting.

Good for hot weather, but lacking in the flavor department. Don't think I'll bother getting more.

10. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (3,862) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Society Trader

Behold: a beer!

[​IMG]

Best sounding beer opening ever!

[​IMG]

4.61/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

750 ml. bottle poured into a champagne flute.
    Gentle pour yields a two inch white head over a champagne-like body with no lacing. (It's a beer!) Fantastic nose akin to Dijon mustard at first, WTF! (It's a beer!) Champagne taste and mouthfeel that is brilliantly perfect. (It's a beer!) Champagne finish and overall, I'm blown away. Best Biere de Champagne I've ever had. Cheers!!!

11. GRPunk

GRPunk Meyvn (1,230) Apr 5, 2007 Michigan

We're back in West Michigan with clear skies and temps in the lower 70s.

The day was spent coaching flag football, running errands, and slogging through a 3-miler (too many weeks off). Time to sit down with a new brew, and hoping to get in a few more next week when the kiddos are off to camp.

Lupulunatic
    White Flame Brewing Co.
    pint can ($3.45 at Copper Vine) Bell's nonic pint
    7.5% abv
    Big Juicy IPA

A- A normal pour creates 1/2 finger, khaki head that drops to a spotty film. The body is a clean copper with moderate-heavy carbonation. Decent stick is left on the glass. Crazy can art of a dude in a straight jacket.

S- Mostly grapefruit and tropical hops at first. There's a lighter, doughy and brown sugar malt presence. Warmth brings more balance as the malts are exaggerated and a little herbal/spicy side comes out from the hops.

T- Pretty balanced between grapefruit hops and doughy and caramel malts, moreso than the aroma suggests. Clean finish. Some warmth brings a gently alcohol warmth.

M- Full body. Bone dry finish. Slightest warmth.

O- A nicely balanced IPA that straddles the line between a big standard offering and a modest double. Drinkable, while packing a punch.

A-3.5 S- 4 T-3.75 M-4 O-3.75

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28227/325369/?ba=GRPunk#review

12. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,858) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Howdy all- it's good to finally be having a beer. My younger son turned 16 today, so we've been kind of busy, but I think I have time for a round before setting my sights on work tomorrow :wink:.

I finally got to try a bunch of DC Brau beers on Friday thanks to @imbibehour - all were really nice, and I can totally see how The Corruption can become addictive, especially when it's very fresh. Great Pils, too!

Tonight I'm going back to something @Vidblain sent me not too long ago-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fair State Co-op's Grodziskie, a smoked wheat ale made in the farmhouse style. It's tart, smoky and a bit funky- right up my alley, in other words.

Now, I can imagine that the less sophisticated among us would write this off as a failed effort that tastes like sauerkraut and old gym socks- and they wouldn't be too far off on the second part :grin:. But the reality is that this is a very well-woven and many layered drink.

That lemony tartness does seem to dominate at first, though, yet it never overwhelms. Subtle campfire smoke, spicy yeastiness, horse blanket, toasted baguette, even a touch of baked apple, all successfully manage to orbit that puckering sensation. The mouthfeel is surprisingly husky for the gravity and level of dryness here, almost milky in feel. The finish is where it shines, though- an initial crash of sour that suddenly gives way to ethereal wafting smoke that eventually reveals toasty oak in flavor as well as tannins. That oak seems to be the element that grounds everything and make it work as well as it does, yet doesn't even show itself until the very end. This is a superb beer, in your face upon first sip, but also possessing quite a bit of grace and finesse for the long haul. Huge thanks, Chris, I'm loving it! Solid A (4.6).

13. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,013) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

One more for tonight Threes Brewing Bad Wallpaper IPA. New brewery for me Brooklyn NY. How could it be bad?
    Pours a golden yellow, slightly hazy with a 2 finger head white in color that dissipates quickly to a thin ring leaving spotty lacing.
    Aroma is tropical fruits: passionfruit, guava, pineapple and some overipe stone fruits- peaches, citrus.
    Taste follows with tropical note hops, some grassiness, nice taste but there is not alot in the middle. Pale malts and /or oats.
    Finishes with tiny bubble sharp crispy carb, clean in the mouth with very little bitterness.
    Overall a very clean tasting but simple easy drinking IPA. Not super complex but well made IMHO. Cheers![​IMG]

14. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (5,489) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] 1700 official beer and holy lord a monsters. Poured near room temp into a 12 oz DFH Snulip, not sure when it was bottled. Pours near pitch black with a 2 finger sticky light brown head that leaves very little lace and disappears really fast into a ring if bubbles. 4

Smell is boozy, vanilla, dark chocolate, roasty coffee, char, and did I mention bourbon? 4

Taste follows alcohol hits your palate first, dark chocolate, vanilla, coffee, and a ton of boozy bourbon very aggressive but not crazy over the top. 4

Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy with plenty of carbonation for its huge size, a tad dry, and at 18.4% goes down pretty easy, but acomplex sipper. 4

Overall this is a very nice Giant Stout, that I feel I could of ages longer and may have become even better, well who cares. Thank you @jzeilinger for being such a generous and incredible beer bud. Someday we shall meet and geek out and talk sports, but you are one of the best in the hobby. 4

15. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,644) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Good afternoon, all! Well, the days are getting shorter now, and it won't be long before it'll be time to gather in the pumpkins. I found the perfect beer to hoist in celebration of the season. I ran across this in a bottle shop in Moorhead, Minnesota, last week after hunting for it for quite some time: J.W. Lees Harvest. This is the 2015 port cask edition. Sipping this is like sipping a fine cordial. Toffee, butterscotch, prune, raisin, tart cherry, and a little dark bread, with lingering flavors of port wine and a touch of cask astringence. Pleasant alcohol warmth, with the lingering sweet finish you might get if you just ate a piece of toffee. There isn't much carbonation, so I wasn't at all hesitant about recapping this to save a pour for another day. It would be the perfect accompaniment to an outdoor wood fire on a crisp fall evening. From where I'm sitting, this is the perfect barleywine. Fives across the board from me.

[​IMG]

Cheers!

16. bl00

bl00 Devotee (433) May 13, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Tonight I'm drinking The Wanderer, a collaboration between City Beer and The Bruery.

Pours tawny port color with some Ruby high lights, thick head of small bubbles.
    Aroma is acidic funk, dark fruit, hint or chocolate, oaky finish.
    Taste is cherry up front, chocolate follows. Dry, tannic finish, no heat.
    Mouthfeel is medium.
    Overall this is a really enjoyable beer. The barrel, fruit, and tart are balanced. It's a nice contrast to the 'lighter' sours that I find myself drinking more frequently. Cheers!

17. Vidblain

Vidblain Savant (958) Feb 17, 2017 Minnesota
    Trader

I had hoped that you and that beer might just get along, Michael - cheers, sir, and happy birthday to your son!

2beerdogs and TongoRad like this.
  18. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (6,570) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

I guess I'll end the evening with one final new beer...

And best wishes to @lordofthewiens with the upcoming retirement. Enjoy it. Too many people lose sight of taking time off while they're still young and vibrant enough to enjoy life. I hope you'll find the time to do so and enjoy those things you've always wanted to do but work got in the way of doing them back then...have fun!

And regarding the beer:

Tar black body; thin, fizzy head that rapidly fades to a thin wisp atop the beer. Fine charred grain scent; a trace of chocolate. Mild milk chocolate flavor with an intense chili presence, long and lingering. Medium-heavy body; smooth and silky; lots of pepper heat.

Not the best as far as a porter base goes, but the serrano pepper presence is pretty intense and satisfying as long as one likes chili beers. I do. Good stuff.

19. LeRose

LeRose Poo-Bah (1,530) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

Is it officially LNNBS? Long day, grilled hot dogs for supper, and a nap...so beer at ten p.m. and no thread reading activities...

So tonight's entry is Devil's Purse Handline, a beer brewed in the Kolsch style:

[​IMG]

Slightly out of focus there... Maybe should have backed off on the vigor of the pour. Fortunately that massive head did not last long. Fell to a ring within a minute or two. Fun while it lasted? A bit on the dark side for the style, maybe, but still pleasant to look at. The smell is sweet, bready, and grainy first and foremost. Very light hop spice, and mildly into the white grape/wine smell. On the taste I get a small hit of sweet, then the grains come in almost with a raw note, mild bitterness in the middle of the taste, slightly grassy and very mild spice at the end followed by a build in the bitter. Feel seems a bit heavy for the style, but not entirely sure of myself there. Dry for sure, but I wouldn't say crisp. A bit of chalkiness.

A pleasant surprise against minimal expectations. I am thnking this is a 3.8 range beer.

20. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (2,634) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

A true new beer for late night NBS...
    [​IMG]
    Attempted to split this one with the wife but she wasn't feeling it...
    My review:
    16oz canned 5/18/18 (37 days ago) poured into a crooked stem snulip at fridge temp 9% ABV. The beer pours mostly bright, red amber in color with blush tinted head. The head recedes to a thin ring. The aroma is sweet raspberry jam on top of a very subtle Belgian yeast note. The taste is more raspberry notes of sweet and tart. The yeast comes through in the middle, with a dryish raspberry finish. The mouthfeel is medium to thin bodied and adequately carbonated. Overall, very good fruit/vegetable beer. There is just a hint of the tripel, if anyone was put off by that. Nothing earth shattering, but worth a try.

Congratulations to @lordofthewiens on the upcoming retirement. You're words on parenting, and life in general, are always thought provoking. I'm only 16 years into the dad thing, but I can say that it's the most rewarding and humbling responsibility of my life. It's truly amazing to work with your kids as they tackle new challenges of all descriptions.

Cheers all and enjoy the new beer in your glass!

21. bret717

bret717 Champion (815) Dec 8, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Hey NBSers, thanks for all the good reviews so far, and thanks @lordofthewiens for getting us started this morning. Congrats on your upcoming retirement!

I’ve got one new one for today, given to me by a friend who grabbed a few random beers for me while driving through NY last week-

[​IMG]

Daily Double IPA by Artisanal Brew Works

Appearance is almost clear Golden orange with a thick white head and decent lacing

Nose and taste are are similar with a lot of orange, some grapefruit, a grainy maltiness and a little bitterness

Feel is medium-light bodied qith moderate carbonation and dry lightly bitter finish

Overall, an enjoyable citrusy IPA

22. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,679) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Back at you.

scream likes this.
  23. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,013) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Truth. Its ironic because I just spent 2 days with my daughter that recently graduated from SUNY. She is teaching theatre in Western Mass. We really bonded. Special time because at 22 yrs old I realized today its a new phase. Lots of adventure left to be had..for all.

24. scream

scream Meyvn (1,358) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

I only had about 18 months of active duty. Glad to have done it though !

25. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (11,602) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

26. JBowenGeorgia

JBowenGeorgia Crusader (735) Sep 1, 2016 Georgia
    Trader

Enjoyed the day with my boys so now that they are in bed I'm enjoying a beer. Only getting in one today so it may as well be a good one. I'm finishing up my second serving of this big boozy one courtesy of @2beerdogs in a LIF box from the BIF.

Pours a murky reddish brown with two fingers of tan head.
    Smells of sweet vanilla, marshmallow, caramel, toffee, some dark fruits coming through as well. Bourbon heat present as well.
    Taste is vanilla and marshmallow up front followed with the toffee and caramel. Dark fruits come through, raisin primarily. Bourbon is definitely there but not as hot as the nose implied. Lingering vanilla and tobacco notes.
    Medium bodied, good carb level amplified by the bourbon.
    Overall a tasty one that seems to pack a punch.

27. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,987) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

Late Night New Beer Sunday for me:
    [​IMG]
    Colbitzer Heide-Brauerei Schwarz

At least a couple three of you have tried this one, and I slept on it because I tried the brewery's pilsener about a year ago and wasn't overly impressed. But this schwarzbier is working out much, much better. In need of a little schwarz fix, I'm getting one with some light-but-present flavors from the roasted malt: sweet coffee, molasses/brown sugar and quite a bit of wood in the earthier aftertaste. None of the flavors are overpowering, but they're strong enough to be quite tasty.

The review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/6668/246523/?ba=Premo88#review
    4.11 (+6.2% rDev)

Printed on the bottom of the can is what looks like a born-on date of September 2017 with an expiration date of March 2019. If that's true, the beer's been in the can nine months, and it looks, smells, tastes and feels fantastic. That expiration might be spot on.

Cheers!

#107 Premo88, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    2beerdogs, cavedave, dcotom and 15 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.