New Beer Sunday (Week 703)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cjgiant, Aug 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (4,154) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Premium

Good morning and happy Sunday, BAs and NBS regulars! It's not-so-bright and a little earlier than normal as I start off today for you. Which is fine - as a person can enjoy a new beer at nearly any time of day and chime in here, early or late.

Yesterday, the GF and I went back to a new local brewery - one that opened in or about June of this year. They've added quite a few beers to their tap list, including two while we sat at the bar. The brewer(s) seemed to be at work during the day, putting in the hours at their business. Like our first visit, there were signs of promise but also some offerings that lacked of a more professional hand.

In a recent thread on this site there was a question as to whether we should go back to forcing reviews on this site when rating beers. I will let you seek out and respond to that thread in your own time, but there is no debate here - you must come equipped with your virtual pen to this notebook of a thread.

Okay, we NBS participants can't be a school marm and force you to act as we'd like as the site admins could with ratings if they so chose. However, NBS is not new - we've been doing it for 700+ weeks. I joined in the fun less than half that time ago, and if I could jump into the middle of it, so can you - don't be shy.

But anyhow, back to what we do ask of you. We ask for a little bit of your time on this (or any) Sunday to to get to know your beer. Pour it in a glass and look at it and describe it to us. Sure, with modern technology you could post us a picture. But maybe try to make your 10th grad English teacher proud with your use of the language s/he helped teach you and bring us into the room with you through your description of the smell and taste of the beer. We're not there to hear your sighs of delight or groans of disappointment, so relay those to us in descriptions of how the beer feels and you feel about it, overall.

That's about it. We ask you respect the thread and its request: a thought-provoked description of your beer. Oh, and if you take the time here, why not transfer your thoughts in some form to the beer's page for others to see on non-Sundays in the future.

So the opening class bell is ringing. Take your seat with your virtual pens at the ready, as class is now in session. Who wants to begin?

cavedave, TheGent, kemoarps and 45 others like this.
  2. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (3,260) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire

[​IMG] Pipe Dreams U Juicin Bro out of Londonderry NH a juice bomb of a NEDIPA. That is what the can says and yes they finally brewed a IPA that really impressed me. Great start @cjgiant Craig, cheers for your efforts along with @lordofthewiens for many of us BAs favorite weekly thread.

Poured ice cold into one of my favorite Tired Hands Teku glass, canned in the last 2 weeks. Pours a dark amber orange with a massive 2 finger head that leaves big thick off white waves of lace behind, with some excellent retention. Doesn’t look like your average NEDIPA because of color and not totally hazy. Still a gorgeous beer. 4.75

Smell is guava, apricot, mandarin orange, pineapple, and some grapefruit rind. Really balanced and pleasant. 4.5

Taste is what you would expect guava, apricot, maybe some stone fruit, tangerine, pineapple, and a nice balanced shot of grapefruit. 4.5

Mouthfeel is bigger than most, moderate amount of life, but fairly soft, not dry but sticky as it coats my entire palate with hoppy greatness, and very easy drinking at 9% ABV. 4.5

Overall great name, awesome art work, and this one is a winner. I really dig this one and will be grabbing more of it soon. 4.5

kemoarps, superspak, Psilo and 47 others like this.
  3. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,569) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

New Beer Sunday: A Belgian Pale Ale

Mornin’ NBSers with an alert to persistent perceptive pursuers of pale potables. Also thanks to @cjgiant for his start up this fine Sunday

Today’s weather here is expected (yet again) to be spotty with possible scattered showers and a thunderstorm in the area with highs in the low 80s and a feels like in the low 90s. (Booor-ing--:wink:)

I visited the Mandated Reviews thread early on, an interesting set of points being made. Probably time to go back and look to see more of what others thought. I personally prefer reviewing to just ticking because it is an investment in future enjoyment (I know better which beers to buy again) and in saving money (I'm less likely to buy a beer I didn't care for more than once).

This morning’s new beer is the Hoppy Table Beer from Allagash, a brewery known for consistent quality and skill at producing a range of Belgian style beers.

As usual my review, subject to revision until the beer is finished, can be found here.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4/237285/?ba=drtth#review

The aromas/flavors of this beer are nicely complex with the bready pale malt, some coriander, some spicy white pepper a touch of grapefruit zest and some earthy bitterness to finish in a dry ending after the light sweetness has faded away. Definitely worth a try and I’d be happy to use it as a Table Beer to go with a dinner and evening’s conversation with friends.

Cheers, all!

#3 drtth, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    kemoarps, superspak, Psilo and 46 others like this.
  4. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (1,806) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Premium Trader

I have a great new local little brewer who grew out of a home brewer. Microbrewery but good. Here is this weeks release

Coconut blackout by second wind brewing

4.43/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Blackout imperial milk stout (made with locally sourced 72% dark chocolate) with coconut flakes and whole vanilla beans added

Black motor oil , two finger brown foam cap settles to islands and some lacings, recedes to a ring

Aroma of dark chocolate, roasted malts , whiff of coffee

Taste of dark chocolate , coconut, vanilla , finishes with coffee and roasted malts

Smooth mouthfeel , low sudsing

Delicious beer

kemoarps, superspak, Psilo and 41 others like this.
  5. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (3,260) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire

[​IMG] Poured into a 13 oz Tired Hands Teku glass canned on 7/12/18. Pours a slightly hazy orange red with a massive 2 plus finger sticky off white head that leaves plenty of thick rings of lace as it slowly settles into a thin layer bubbles. 4.5

Smell is apricot, candied sugar, tangerine, honeydew, pine resin, and grapefruit. 4.25

Taste follows bold apricot and candied sugar lead the way, tangerine slides in next with some mellon, pine, and grapefruit. 4.5

Mouthfeel is big, gentle carbonation and that is the way I like my NEDIPAs, sticky from the insane amount of fresh hops, and at 9.6% ABV goes down way too easy. 4.75

Overall this is a really tasty beer, these breweries keep popping up and brewing some high quality stuff, I will be watching this brewery also.4.25

6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,637) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Something old, something new - Yuengling

Let’s discuss the old part as in the oldest brewery in America: Yuengling Brewery

“It was the year 1829 when Americans were getting used to their newly elected president, Andrew Jackson, that David G. Yuengling, an immigrant from Wurtemburg, Germany, settled in Pottsville, Pennsylvania, and started a brewery.

Originally named The Eagle Brewery, today the Yuengling Brewery is still identified with the qualities of strength and pride, symbolic of the American eagle. Each Yuengling label still bears the eagle trademark chosen by young David Yuengling so long ago.”

http://beerhistory.com/library/holdings/yuengling.shtml

From the Yuengling website:

“1829 Lord Chesterfield Ale and Porter are introduced and continue to be brewed to this day.”

So, according to the Yuengling website Lord Chesterfield Ale was an original beer of the brewery with production in 1829. That beer would indeed have been an Ale since Lager yeast had not yet arrived to the US. There are a number of accounts as to who was the first person who brought Lager yeast to America but I will discuss just one:

“It is widely held that Jonathan Wagner produced the first Lager made in North America in the year 1842 in a "miserable shanty on the outskirts of Philadelphia." (According to Beer, It’s History and Its Economic Value as a National Beverage by F. W. Salem).

The earliest that Yuengling could produce a lager would be sometime in the 1840’s.

So, what is the ‘new’ part you might ask? It is a new year-round beer of Yuengling Golden Pilsner:

“Yuengling, America’s oldest brewery, just unveiled a new beer that’s set to be sold all year long. This marks the first time in 17 years that the Yuengling brewery has released a beer that’s available year-round.

As is obvious from the name, the beer will be a pilsner. The classic ‘Lager’ style of beer that we know is based on the original pilsner style, so this isn’t a very shocking move from Yuengling who produces a famous Lager.

The Golden Pilsner is a German-style pilsner and it will be brewed using Hallertau and Saaz hops (German noble hops). It carries an ABV of 4.7% and an IBU of 18 which means this will be a very drinkable beer.

“We listened to our consumers, we did some consumer research focus groups, our marketing team went out, we’ve been under experiment now for about 18 months looking at different brands and different styles, and the refreshment category was certainly one that we wanted to get into.”

“It has subtle hop aroma and flavor to it, a good balance between the maltiness and the hops,” Jennifer Yuengling said. “It has a smooth flavor, it finishes very refreshing.”

https://brobible.com/gear/article/yuengling-golden-pilsner-new-beer/

For today’s drinking experience I will be conducting a two stage taste test: first a triangle taste test followed by my typical side-by-side taste test.

Triangle Taste Test

Since Lord Chesterfield is an American Adjunct Lager (yes, it is indeed brewed using lager yeast) and Golden Pilsner is an all-malt lager a triangle test of two differing beer styles may not make too much sense but I will be doing this anyway. The purpose of the triangle taste test is to see if the taster (which is me) can blindly identify which two beers are the same and which is the differing beer. My wife volunteered to be the proctor here so, here we go:

[​IMG]

Well, not too surprisingly I was able to distinguish the two beers which were the same (Lord Chesterfield in this case) vs. the one beer (Golden Pilsner).

Now, onto my ‘regular’ side-by-side taste test.

Served in two Spiegelau Lager glasses:

Appearance:

Lord Chesterfield: Gold color with a BIG billowy white head. This beer has very good head retention and forms a Belgian Lace as the beer is consumed.

Golden Pilsner: Ditto

Aroma:

Lord Chesterfield: The most notable aspect on the nose is a subtle but noticeable hop aroma. This beer is dry hopped using Cascade hops. There is not much malt/grain aroma on the nose.

Golden Pilsner: A pleasing combination of bready (from the malt) and spicy (from the hops).

Taste:

Lord Chesterfield: The flavor is not quite as notable as the aroma. There is some aspect of malt/grain there and the hop flavor is a tad more muted than the hop aroma. A low/medium bitterness.

Golden Pilsner: The flavor follows the nose with a subtle yet pleasant balance of bready and spicy flavors. A low/medium bitterness.

Mouthfeel:

Lord Chesterfield: Light-medium body with a medium-dry finish.

Golden Pilsner: Ditto

Overall:

Lord Chesterfield: Within the context of an AAL beer this beer is a joy to drink. The highlights are the hop aroma and nice head retention. If you are looking for a nice thirst quenching beer in these ‘Dog Days of Summer’ this is a good choice.

Golden Pilsner: This beer is well balanced between the malt flavors (bready) and hop flavors (spicy). The flavor level is low/moderate and this beer indeed fits with the “refreshment” category. I enjoyed drinking this bottle of beer.

Heretofore my favorite Yuengling beer is (was?) Lord Chesterfield. I have only experienced one bottle of Golden Pilsner but I intend to purchase a 6-pack of Golden Pilsner for further/continuing research (and enjoyment). A BIG PLUS of Golden Pilsner is that it is packaged in brown bottles vs. those stupid green bottles they use for Lord Chesterfield and Traditional Lager – GREEN BOTTLES ARE STUPID!!!

I highly recommend this article by Lew Bryson about Yuengling: http://allaboutbeer.com/yuengling-so-much-better-than-it-was/

Cheers!

P.S. My wife also enjoyed tasting these two beers.

@rotsaruch @RobH @tzieser @FBarber @Crusader @KOP_Beer_OUtlet @meefmoff

[​IMG]

RobH, FBarber, ONUMello and 52 others like this.
  7. drtth

Nicely done.

I'd say we're pretty consistent with each other on this one.

Here's what I concluded with in my review:

"Overall I found this more enjoyable than I had anticipated. While the aromas/flavors are not intense they are definitely noticeable and the beer is clean, slightly crisp and fairly refreshing. Generally I prefer a Pils with a bit more intensity of flavors and some more crisp dryness in the ending, but I expect to be repeating this beer because it’s simple, enjoyable and well suited for an evening out with friends sharing dinner and conversation."

8. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Defender (640) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Premium

Imperial Stout of Impending Doom by Shortfuse Brewing in Schiller Park, Illinois.
    Poured from an undated can into my trusty DFH snifter, how's that for class! It's a very dark inky brown with a brown head that faded quickly to a ring, minimal lacing but left a nice oily residue. I thought I was pouring a Ten-Fidy.
    Aroma of roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, tobacco and leather.
    Taste matches the aroma, with some hop bitterness and a slightly sweet chocolaty finish.
    Very thick mouthfeel, not a lot of carbonation after the pour and a potent 10.5 abv.
    I've had several beers from Shortfuse before, all IPA's, most good but not memorable, IMHO this is pretty damned tasty. My check was 4.29.
    Cheers and enjoy your beer![​IMG]

9. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,978) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

NBS is off and rolling so I'll join the ride with one of my favorite styles . . .

[​IMG]

Very attractive amber gold color with white froth and good lacing.

Deep aroma of sublime caramel malt with floral, spicy hops.

Malt forward flavor that is exceedingly rich, almost to the point of being bold, but hops are not forgotten here, rather they show at the beginning like dancers on the stage swirling around the main action and remain until the end being ever present and adding to the overall experience. If this were the only beer I've had from this brewery it would make me a fan of the place.

Medium-full texture with balancing carbonation.

The overall impression is of great complexity and style. In short, greatness. Forget waiting for October just give me this year round.

10. Crusader

Crusader Aspirant (238) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

Nice write up on the beers Jack, both sound like tasty brews.

On the topic of Lord Chesterfield Ale I came across this picture of a "promotional trade card" from a picture book on Yuengling which suggests that Lord Chesterfield Ale was a new product in the 1930s post repeal period and modeled after a Canadian ale.

"Here's news that will please you! A Canadian type Ale has been added to the Yuengling family of malt beverages - an Ale that satisfies that longing for something different-an Ale that tickles the palate-an Ale that is full bodied with a noticable degree of tartness!"

"To suit the taste of thousands who like a malt beverage with quite some tartness, Yuengling's Brewery has ready for delivery a CANADIAN TYPE ALE,

Lord Chesterfield ALE

It has just the right tartness for those who want a rich, full bodied beverage with a tang to its taste."

11. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,532) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Good morning everyone. and Cheers! I have been moving furniture since this morning so hence the fashionably late appearance. I had Yuengling's Golden Pilsner too this week! It has grown on me and I think that it is a good beer. Let me tell you why.

Pours golden. Clear and bright with a fat head of white foam that lasts leisurely. Falls in sheets clinging until it finally gives way to impudent streaks. Nose is crackery and herbal. The word distinct is the clue to the identity of these hops. They have a sweet flower petal and a little pepper. A faint whiff of sulfur combined with some dms. Taste is good and firm. Moderate bubble and a hop softenss that asserts just a touch of bitterness in the swallow. It's got everything in the finish except the hops.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

As it warms you notice just a little sweetness in the finish and because of that you can taste a little bit of citrus form the hops. The distinct herbal from saaz was lost in the finish but the grassy hop stays on the palate. It keeps this beer form a better score and it makes the malt taste like graham cracker instead of bread. The finish lost a little something because of it. It also kept it from being dry.

I am going to be pairing this beer with all kinds of food. starting with wings after I move my dresser. Cheers!

kemoarps, superspak, Psilo and 43 others like this.
  12. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (4,443) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Premium

Good start to NBS, @cjgiant. Personally, I like to write reviews (and read them also). Not so much to guide me in a purchase, more so that I like to read and write. I would like to see a thoughtful review, not one that reads "This is a great beer. Crushed one last night at my local bar."
    Anyway, I digress. Yesterday I bought a 4 pack of Prairie Deconstructed Bomb! with the intention of drinking them and reviewing them while I watched the PGA Championship. It's early morning out here, so I went with the coffee version first.
    The beer is black in color with an almost non-existent head.
    Coffee is the first aroma to strike my nose, followed quickly by some chocolate. There is a hint of alcohol.
    The taste followed the nose. Espresso coffee, bittersweet chocolate, and a touch of bourbon.
    A very smooth, drinkable beer. It could stand alone. I was surprised at the level of chocolate in this version; it almost matched the coffee.

[​IMG]

13. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (2,038) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

[​IMG]

A-Pours a very nice clear deep amber color with a slight head and lacing
    A-Aroma has resounding harvest hop hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with an abundant harvest hop flavor
    M-A light bodied well carbonated beer
    O-A very nicely balanced harvest ale from Troegs

kemoarps, superspak, Psilo and 37 others like this.
  14. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (5,734) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Trader

Thanks to @cjgiant for the great start to this weeks NBS. Will be back with a new brew later on today.

Cheers!

larryi86 likes this.
  15. EMH73

EMH73 Meyvn (1,469) Sep 16, 2015 New York
    Premium Trader

Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale from Sierra Nevada. Sorry for the recycled picture.
    2018 version poured into a Chimay Goblet. Pours a light to medium brown with ruby red highlights, a one inch creamy tan head that left nice blotches of lacing. Smells of lightly roasted malts, toffee, raisins and hops. Taste is far more bitter than I expected, somewhat sweet roasted malts, toffee, raisins, dates and alcohol. This beer is meant for sipping and needs to be drank at near room temperature. Full bodied, lightly carbonated, lingering dry and bitter finish. I think I will be sitting around the house for a while after drinking this on.
    [​IMG]

16. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,290) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Premium

Completely agree about this beer and am glad I bought more than a single. I was not sure what to expect going in, but it is a delicious brew. To me, it has substance without being overly "heavy".

Dawn of the Dunkel is also worthy - give it a try if you can get it. They are apparently doing a series of beers focused on these styles.

17. VABA

[​IMG]

A-Pours a hazy light orange color with a generous head and lacing
    A-Aroma has nice hoppy and tropical fruit hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a nice hoppy and tropical fruit flavor
    O-A nice hazy hoppy refreshing beer

kemoarps, superspak, LeRose and 36 others like this.
  18. jkblr

jkblr Meyvn (1,188) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Premium Trader

Good morning NBS
    New beer, old mug. I've enjoyed all of the SN Oktoberfest collaboration beers so far. Let's see what they've done this year...
    [​IMG]
    The bottle is dated 7/23 and the pour is on the pale side in natural light with a rusty highlight that makes it appear darker than it really is. Aroma is yeasty with subtle grassy hops. I believe this is a first for this series, as the others have had unmistakable hop aroma. The taste is surprisingly light malt with a grassy & floral hop undertone that comes on mid palate and persists after the swallow. Mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied with adequate carbonation. The finish is dry and slightly bitter. Overall, very good. It may take a couple 12 packs for me to reach my final verdict on this one.

Cheers all!

19. VABA

[​IMG]

A-Pours a very clear golden with a slight head and lacing
    A-Aroma has nice lemongrass hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a nice lemongrass flavor
    O-A nice refreshing lager beer

20. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (1,686) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Happy Sunday, NBS crew! I have a fridge full of RVA goodies due to my recent $1 Megabus jaunt down that way, and many of them are new to me. So I have plenty of NBS fodder (or is it foeder? :stuck_out_tongue:) for today. Starting with this one I just barely managed to get. Was the last 4-pack in their cooler.

Valhalla - Triple Crossing
    DIPA - 8% abv
    Purchased for $18/4 at Triple Crossing
    Canned 7/31/18 (12 days ago)
    Score: 4.4 (+1.4% rDev)

[​IMG]

The review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/34442/258276/?ba=CanConPhilly#review

Synopsis:
    Another great TC DIPA. I gave this a 5 for body, since I don’t know of any other brewery that pulls off as creamy of a body as Triple Crossing does. Just a pleasure to drink. Although I doubt I could pick it out blind if put against any other of their DIPAs.

21. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,118) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Premium Trader

[​IMG]
    Faster than normal fashion?
    [​IMG]
    Fast Fashion double dry hopped IPA (6.5% abv) featuring spelt and oats from Stillwater Artisanal Ales... Presents dry, pithy grapefruit and orange suggestions, very subdued sweetness, mild-to-moderate bitterness... Elements of floral citrus and herbal pine at play as well... Smooth and softly carbonated... Nice, but not exceptional... 6/29/18 canning...

Here's to new beer in your glass, cheers... :wink:

#21 Greywulfken, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  22. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (4,443) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Premium

I opted for the vanilla version for beer #2
    [​IMG]

The beer is still black, but there is at least the appearance of a head.
    Aroma of vanilla, chocolate, and alcohol.
    Mostly vanilla taste. Some chocolate. A little bit of bourbon.
    Too much vanilla for me.

23. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Champion (875) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

NBS beer #1

[​IMG]

Picklejuice

Four Quarters Brewing Co.
    American Wild Ale / 5.20% ABV { This can is listed at 4.5%}

3.94/5 rDev +2.1% | Score: 3.86
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

L-The beer pours golden and slightly hazy. The head is a sold two fingers worth of large white bubbles. The head recedes down to the barest of rings with no lacing.
    S- This sour ale is made with honeydew, cucumber, and dill. Honeydew is the strongest of these elements on the nose. The dill is there but it is surprisingly faint in the nose. The honeydew seems to override the more subtle cucumber contribution.
    T- On the palate the dill proves to be the strongest competitor. It is closely followed by a moderate lacto sourness. Honeydew plays a distant 3rd fiddle only detectable when my palate tires of the sour and dill.
    F- Mouthfeel is light. Carbonation after the initial pour is on the lighter side of medium. There is a slight slickness and tongue coating.
    O- A different and interesting sour. May not be for everyone, especially those who don't enjoy dill pickles. I found the beer surprisingly light in the acidity department despite it's moderate level of pucker. Probably not something you'll want to drink in multiples but enjoyable as a one of. Recommended if your looking for something a little different.

24. Bluecrow

Bluecrow Champion (816) Jul 16, 2012 New York

Delicate Senses is an NEIPA style. I enjoyed one at the Greenport Brewery this week and a can today.
    The can pour (and the tap version) are densely clouded, a very pale yellow. The aroma is brightly tropical with orange and mango prominent. The flavor is mango and pineapple up front with a tingly hop bite and a pleasant sweetness. The body is light, but this is very flavorful with a smooth mouthfeel. Excellent!
    [​IMG]

25. CanConPhilly

Premium Trader

New beer #2. Got this in a trade awhile back. My first Smog City brew.

Cuddlebug - Smog City
    American Wild - 4.5% abv
    Score: 4.43 (+3.3% rDev)

[​IMG]

Review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/27922/171564/?ba=CanConPhilly#review

Synopsis:
    I absolutely adore this beer. The fruit just pops from the glass. Even though it’s quite a few months old, it tastes like the peaches were just introduced into the beer moments ago. I could drink this all day.

kemoarps, superspak, LeRose and 35 others like this.
  26. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,427) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

New Saison Sunday (Week 703)
    Greetings fellow NBSers from on the ridge in Mid Hud Val, NY. Stopped raining, if only briefly, hoping the skies clear this evening for the meteor shower to be visible. Totally hidden last night.

Ah, I love this thread where we speak to what we enjoy about our favorite beverage. It is a place, I believe, where folks gather who really enjoy things. I mean, we enjoy things to the point we want to share that enjoyment with each other. We recommend things because we honestly want others to get the kind of happiness we get. It is such a pleasure to share this hobby with you all virtually, and with friends in real life, who love to share with me as well

May I share a moment about another hobby of mine? I was walking through woods slowly, meditating on the forest floor for what has fallen from trees and what has sprung from ground. Nature this summer has provided the perfect conditions for mushrooms, and there were hundreds of beautiful varieties, most of them not edible, some poisonous, some huge, some strangely crafted like artworks sprung from ground, or stump, or tree trunk. And hidden in the mix were delicious chanterelles, whose bright colors gave their locations away, but which often were able to hide despite their color. One other mushroom tops the list of those I want always to collect for the table, the Black Trumpet. It doesn't always appear, and usually it is a pain to gather because it grows from thick leaf litter, and it is camouflaged to look like, you guessed it, leaf litter. When I spotted a couple growing from a moss hump I was excited, and when I kneeled to cut them I spotted a couple more a few feet away in the leaf litter. I stood and walked the few feet to them, kneeled, and I had my moment. It was as though a heightened sense of sight came to me, some enlightenment, some joy overcame me. With a rush I realized there were not two more but literally hundreds of them growing from the leaves for a great distance all around, and suddenly I could see them, almost as though cloaking devices were turned off. Heaven. I mention this because as I drink this new beer I am cleaning, and preparing for drying, and saucing the Black Trumpet mushrooms of which I speak, half of which you see in the picture below. And I am enjoying a beer called Local Boy, from Suarez Family
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A slow motion gush occurred after opening, lost a quarter cup or so. It's a cloudy gold beer topped by three fingers of pure white foam that kicks back to a lasting thick cap. Beautiful.

Full aroma that stars earthy funk and "rotting flower aroma" (best I can describe it), assisted ably by doughy tart yeastiness, pepper, a light minty note, crisp grainy flavor, lemon-limey funk, and some pithy bitter behind it all.

Full flavored snapshot of the aroma. It is so well balanced that it seems to be a blend, but each of the flavors is distinct in the mix, none overpowers, and they each come into play through an amazingly complex sip. It ends with the pepper and earth joined by pith bitter, drying it nicely.

As all Suarez saisons, this is super soft on palate, yet substantial body that stays super refreshing, spritzy carb., bright flavor display that lingers cleanly and calls for next sip.

I get the feeling of being spoiled each time I open a Suarez saison, almost like i am not worthy to enjoy such excellence. Highest recommendation, get this and enjoy another of the finest saisons on planet.

Hope you also have a Great American Beer in your glass. Cheers!

27. VABA

[​IMG]

A-Pours a very dark brown color with a nice head and lacing
    A-Aroma has pumpkin hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with an overpowering pumpkin and alcohol taste
    M-A medium bodied well carbonated beer
    O-A very boozy pumpkin ale

kemoarps, superspak, LeRose and 30 others like this.
  28. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Champion (857) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey

Dog fish head fruit full fort
    ..Dark murky cranberry color
    .. above average body. Carbonation is just below average but overall a nice feel to it
    ...Aroma is grapes, wine, yeast, and a wired sort of fruit punch juice smell
    ..Taste is very similar, strong bold fruit flavors and definite heat but for such a high abv it's somewhat well hidden. Not overly sweet but close to a dry wine quality.
    ...Overall I can't argue if someone doesn't like this, it's just a wierd wine, spiked fruit punch, sort of beer. But it is definitely memorable,flavorful, and a well made interesting beer[​IMG]print screen

29. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (1,820) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Premium

Good afternoon NBS and thank you @cjgiant for the kick off today, I also started about the same time as you, remember the nervous nature of that first post. Now I look forward to every Sunday for the input of the larger NBS community.
    Grey and a bit rainy here in WMass. Our house is back to some normalcy after 2 weeks of family visiting, birthday parties and family reunions.
    Today's offering is from the very talented crew at Honest Weight Artisan Beer. The Gate 37 is a packaged Grisette, with all the elements in order. Excellent grains, hops are subtle, water and carbonation are spot on. A full feel at 4.8% ABV. Tasty and worth seeking out
    Cheers all

Gate 37 Grisette

Honest Weight Artisan Beer
    Saison / Farmhouse Ale / 4.80% ABV

4.09/5 rDev -3.3% | Score: 4.23
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from an undated 500 ml bottle into the test glass.
    A - Straw colored backdrop, excellent clarity displays the aggressive carbonation marauding towards the surface. A towering cap slowly collapses inward, with a consistency of well beaten egg whites. Lacing is cumulus in style.
    S - Dusty grains, with a bit of wet hay in the nose. Rye and buckwheat add a nice earthy element to the aromatic. The saison yeast adds that white pepper kiss that is so delightful.
    T - The flavors run a slightly different path, with excellent grains on full display, a surprising honey touch adds some nuance. The yeast again is present adding to the already spicy grain bill, with a very delicate touch of funky dust.
    M - Soft on the palate (Oats), that North Quabbin water is a great resource to start with, The active carbonation plows the offering across the center. A delightfully dry finish with a bit of honeysuckle and fall grain are the reward.
    O - A delightful Grissette with the skills of talented brewers on full display. The flavors are rustic, agrarian, and rich.
    The feel is top notch as is the aromatics. This would pair well with runny cheese, and that's the next step
    Cheers

30. EMH73

EMH73 Meyvn (1,469) Sep 16, 2015 New York
    Premium Trader

DHop12 from Equilibrium. Unknown canning date, purchased at the brewery last Sunday. Pours a murky orange with brown hues, a quarter inch white settles to a ring fairly quickly and leaves ample patchy lacing. Smells of citrus and tropical fruits, but rather mild. Tastes of pink grapefruit, a hint of rind, orange, peach, mango and a sweet malt presence on the back end. Medium bodied for the style, the 8.2% ABV is quite well hidden, creamy mouth feel with mild bitterness and a dry finish. Sharing the crowler with my daughter and I have no intentions of leaving the house today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

31. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (2,663) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

Where am I? Oh, now I remember. Happy NBS from sunny WI! I'm enjoying a 3 day weekend and celebrated my eldest daughter's 9th birthday on Friday. Time sure does go by quickly as I remember posting here when she was turning 3.

Today I am having an IIPA from Tyranena called Lost Adult. I poured the 12oz bottle into imperial pint glass. A cloudy light gold with 2 finger white pillowy head. Retention is amazing and leaves a cap with very thick lacing on my glass. Aroma is very fruity with some nice citrus and dank hops. Sweet tropical notes. Flavor is more tropical and juicy with faint notes of grapefruit, melon and a bitter finish. Feel is medium with an oily feel, but slightly dry on the finish. This beer is very nice and it may remind you of Stone Enjoy By unfiltered.

[​IMG]

32. CanConPhilly

Premium Trader

New beer #3.

Blue Miata - The Veil
    IPA - 6% abv
    Purchased for $15/4 at The Veil
    Canned 8/6/18 (6 days ago)
    Score: 3.74 (+0.8% rDev)

[​IMG]

Review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/41018/363278/?ba=CanConPhilly#review

Synopsis:
    Not their best work. One-dimensionally dank, without any citrus hops or malt flavors to balance things out. The Triple Crossing IPA I had earlier blows this out of the water.

33. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Champion (875) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

NBS beer #2

[​IMG]

Goody Two Shoes

Exhibit 'A' Brewing Company
    Kölsch / 4.50% ABV

3.98/5 rDev -2% | Score: 4.06
    look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

canned 06/01/18

L-The beer pours a beautiful clear straw. The head a great fluffy white mass of around 3 fingers high. The head recedes to a thin ring with small central island. Lacing is spotty.
    S- The nose is classic Kolsch. A dry crackery malt backround with a touch of spicy hops.
    T- Not a lot to say here that the reader doesn't already know. Dry crackery malt base supporting some light noble hop presence. Bitterness is perhaps a touch light.
    F-Overall mouthfeel is light as should be expected. Carbonation after the initial pour is on the lighter side of medium. Finishes slightly dry. Drinkability is very high. Low ABV means it's also very repeatable.
    O- A very good American made Kolsch style ale. Very drinkable and very approachable for non craft drinkers. Recommended.

34. drtth

New Beer Sunday: An American Pale Ale

Afternoon NBSers with an alert for fans of interesting and approachable APAs.

This afternoon’s new beer is An Ale of Interest from Against the Grain Brewing.

As usual, my review, subject to revision until I finish the beer, can be found here:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26850/335943/?ba=drtth#review

The aromas/flavors of this beer include a nice range that includes pine, citrus and tropical fruits. The sweetness from the malt backbone is nicely balanced by some light citric and earthy bitterness. It has that log dry slightly bitter ending that invites another sip. The beer is clean, crisp, enjoyable and repeatable.

Cheers, all!

35. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (3,173) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Premium Trader

Good afternoon NBS, hope all is well. Starting my Sunday with a great treat from @bstyle, 2017 Jester King SPON Three Year Blend, blend #5. Jester King doesn’t disappoint, this is worth seeking out if you love a good gueuze.

4.41/5 rDev +9.2%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to bstyle for this
    375 ml bottle, blend 5 blended 2/15/17, poured into a flute

A- A slightly hazy copper with a small white head.

S- Sour, green apples, hay, some barnyard funk, oak, some grapes, lemons, slightly herbal.

T- Sour and a ton of funk, lemons, green apples, hay, barnyard funk, herbal, oak.

M- Smooth, light body, dry.

O- An excellent gueuze, love the funk in this.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!

36. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Champion (857) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey

Garden State stout
    ..Solid black color
    ...above average body but unfortunately so was the carbonation. Soda like bubbly carbonation was a bit too much
    ..Aroma is raisins, nalt,and some chocolate. Not overly complex but pleasing
    ...Taste followed the aroma, not overly complex and the raisin/plum taste dominated. The chocolate and malt did show up enough to keep it fairly balanced.
    ..Overall it was better as it sat a bit and the carbonation mellowed out. Not bad but not something I would seek out too often[​IMG]host images

37. flaskman

flaskman Devotee (451) Aug 3, 2015 New York
    Premium

Good morning fellow beer lovers. I went in to work at 0600 and punched out at 11:00. I went straight to the roof and finished my gutter guards before it got too hot (it was too hot). But I did finish an now I can have a beer or 2 since I am done with ladder work. Today's new beer came from a mixed pack from Saranac that was a gift. It is Gen IV Session IPA. It was well enjoyed because I am covered in sweat and was very thirsty. All in all it was sort of not bad. Here is my review and now its off to mow the lawn. Thankfully I have a John Deere so I really only have to steer and I am not going to get a DWI. "Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a 16 ounce glass. Aggressive pour with 1/2 inch of head that went down quickly to 1/16 inch. Some lacing but nothing notable. Looks yellow golden orange. Slightly cloudy with no shortage of tiny floaties. The smell is barely perceptible. Carbonation is good. The first taste is unremarkable. We have a hoppy taste that is best described as monochromatic. It is lacking any notable sweetness up front with the same bitter flavor from start to finish. The bready malty base reminds me of other beers from Saranac. Not bad but not a wow beer either." Have a great day all!

38. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,102) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Premium Trader

Great start!

cjgiant likes this.
  39. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,102) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Premium Trader

Great read, Jack. You put such solid effort into these side-by-sides.

40. Reef

Reef Disciple (368) Dec 2, 2016 South Carolina
    Premium

Iit's nice to be home for a full weekend for the first time in a month. This is the weekend that the college students return to town, so there is a little more traffic and activity in general. With five Tree House IPA’s in the fridge, I’m running out of descriptors for murkiness and mouthfeel. Today I’m drinking Doubleganger.
    Review at https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28743/259249/
    [​IMG]
    Another great NEIPA. My ability to review these is deteriorating, but not my enjoyment. Fortunately I have to work tomorrow, so I can reset my taste buds in a day or two.
    This one rubs up against my tolerance for hop dominance. Looks inviting, smells tropical, smooth mouth feel. The hops are immense, which I guess is the point.
    I'm speaking relative to the other beers I had this week, so it's hardly a criticism.
    And I'll probably change my mind the next time I open one.
    Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.