New Beer Sunday (Week 708)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lordofthewiens, Sep 16, 2018 at 12:28 PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (4,412) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Premium

Two guys are walking down the street and they see this huge German Shepard dog licking his balls.

The first guy says, “Gee, I wish I could do that.”

And the second guy says, “Well, you better pet him first.”

Perhaps this is the day for you to step out of your comfort zone. Not just to try a new beer, but to try a new beer style. According to the updated list, there are 110 (if I counted correctly) beer styles. How many have you tried? There’s a whole world of beer out there. If you’ve never had a lager, now is the time to pick up some Oktoberfest beers. If you live in a warmer clime, try a gose. Very thirst-quenching. Maybe your IPA palate isn’t completely blasted, and you might enjoy a nice sour. My point is, there are a lot of under-appreciated beer styles just waiting to be drunk.

After you’ve tried your new beer style, and are suitably amazed, you would probably like to tell us about it. Tell us how it looks, how it smells, how it tastes, how it feels in your mouth. Then give your overall impression of the beer. No, “it’s really big and it’s really wet” does not count as an overall impression. Finally, a picture of said beer would be nice.

Happy Drinking!

LeperJim, TheGent, superspak and 51 others like this.
  2. The_Kriek_Freak

The_Kriek_Freak Poo-Bah (1,869) Aug 18, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Tattered Flag Brewing - Fatum (Strawberry Rhubarb)

A new beer and a new brewery for me in this sour ale from Tattered Flag Brewing Company out of Middletown, PA, a “suburb” of the state’s capital, Harrisburg. This is a kettle-soured beer and I’m glad for that as I don’t know how I’d feel about wild yeasts from an area of a nuclear disaster inoculating my beer (Middletown is just a couple of miles north of Three Mile Island and its nuclear plant that infamously experienced a meltdown in the 70s). For a kettle-soured beer this is surprisingly complex, with light acidity, sweet fruitiness and mild hoppy notes. The fruit (in this case strawberry) and the rhubarb taste fresh and not overly processed. The color of the beer is hazy yellow with a hint of orange/red coming from the added fruit/veggies. The aroma is suggestive of a cloyingly sweet fruitbomb but the taste is incredibly balanced and it invites you to have another sip immediately. Thick mouthfeel, with only a hint of carbonation. The beer shop I got this beer from had a sign next to it urging customers to make sure they immediately refrigerate it as there have been reports about the beer being overly eager to continue fermenting in the can when left at room temperature.

[​IMG]

kemoarps, Smakawhat, Buck89 and 48 others like this.
  3. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,541) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

New Beer Sunday: An American Pale Ale

Mornin’ NBSers, with an alert for admirers of American Pale Ales. Also a special thanks to @lordofthewiens who had to get up really really early (for a retiree :sunglasses:) to start things going this morning. More importantly, some hope that our folks in the South Atlantic region will have for a speedy recovery from Florence.

The weather here today is expected to be fairly decent with temps in the low 80s and a mix of clouds and sun. (We won't see some of the aftermath of Florence here for a few days.)

This morning’s new beer is the Tuna Extra Pale Ale from Half Acre Brewing. (The folks who brought us Daisy Cutter.)

As usual my review, subject to revision until the beer is finished, can be found here.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/18006/106572/?ba=drtth#review

The aromas/flavors have lemon, citric zest and a bit of pine. In the background with the bready malt there are also some tropical fruits. The light hops bitterness counterbalances the sweetness so that the ending is semi-dry with it’s citric bitterness. An APA that is drinkable, enjoyable and worth trying.

Cheers, all!

4. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,529) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Morning @lordofthewiens and that is a loller alright. Cheers you all. Happy New Beer Sunday. I have a couple endeavors going lately one is a photo series called The Eye Is Capable of Infinite Gestures but I think I might want to change that title to The Eye is Definite. It's reactions and what they mean . Just the eyes. If you could see me look at beer you would love beer.

It's all the ConFunkShun

HAppy New Beer Sunday[​IMG]

[​IMG]

liliko'i kepolo they are using two row and wheat malt, sterling hops This is one juicy beer!

Yellow and very hazy with the fruit addition. Sporty white head of creamy foam that falls leisurely. That haze is not turbidity form yeast although it does resemble it closely. Nose is wheat cracker and spicy with the phenols from the belgian yeast but fruity with the passionfruit. Dried herbs and peppery earth. The passion fruit reminds me of orange at first but then shows a succulent tropical side. taste is graceful. All the spice of the belgian style witbier with a glroious amount of fruit and it's small measure of tartness. This beer drinks with a unique finish for the style. The brewer calls the beer yeast centric and that is hard for Americans to grab a hold of in my opinion. The witbier is one of the most misunderstood styles because of something called phenols. To some they appear errant and very different from the usual lager beer. The addition of passion fruit to this beer does not allow you to see anything much from the yeast in the way of fruity esters. Crisp bubble but a softer than crisp finish because that fruit adds a touch of sweet softness to the body of the beer. Too much more bubble and it would have been fizzy so I would say impeccable. NO bitter from hops. Their house yeast strain must be where I am seeing the light scent flavor of orange. Refreshing and does not put itself out of the style with tartness even though the fruit did add a little. Light acidity and just a hint of orange pith.

I paired this beer with Cha Ca Hanoi

[​IMG]

5. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (8,342) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Happy Abbreviated New Beer Sunday (Week 708)!

I am off to pay a visit to @CanConPhilly at his residence this afternoon as the result of a picture that he submitted during NBS (Week 704), involving a passel of CANs. I entreated him NOT to crush or otherwise recycle them & I would take them FFT to Jeff Lebo & his Brewhouse Mountain Eco-Inn (www.cansmartbeercans.com) & he CANsented! I am making my pick-up this afternoon & returning fairly quickly as I have a full day ahead of me tomorrow, between substitute teaching & a new part-time gig.

For now, you'll have to be satiated with/by:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/430/99058/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]

If I return on a timely basis, I'll be back, but if not, I'll definitely be back next week with some big news!

kemoarps, TheGent, superspak and 46 others like this.
  6. woodychandler

Trader

@The_Kriek_Freak Hey, whose tush are you callin' "Fat", pal? Oh, Fatum. Sorry! To quote Miss Emily Litella, "Never mind!"

kemoarps, 2beerdogs, MacMalt and 4 others like this.
  7. rgordon

rgordon Champion (837) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Is this Jeff Lebo related to or the actual ex Carolina basketball star?

2beerdogs, FFFjunkie, Premo88 and 3 others like this.
  8. jkblr

jkblr Meyvn (1,144) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Premium Trader

Good morning NBS
    I'm working nights so only one new beer this morning. I was pretty excited to find a, new to me, German beer in flip top bottles at a local shop.
    [​IMG]
    The review:
    330mL bottle bb 6/27/19 poured into a tall pilsner glass at fridge temp 4.8% ABV. The beer pours bright, light straw yellow with nearly white head. The head recedes to a cap and leaves plenty of lacing. The aroma is equal parts bready malt and floral hops. The taste is somewhat dominated by earthy, floral hoppy bitterness up front. Towards the middle, a little pils malt shows up and then back to hops with a dry, moderately bitter finish. The mouthfeel is thin bodied, adequately carbonated and very clean. There are no yeasty or off flavors in the taste or feel. Overall, very good. I would prefer a touch more pils malt presence for balance.

I honestly didn't check the BA score on this before purchasing (it's 3.55). Worth $11/4 pack only because of the bottles can be repurposed for homebrew and it was new to me. Enjoyable, but it doesn't share nearly the complexity of some German pilsners.

@lordofthewiens, great start this morning. I recently vowed to start trying even more styles and equalizing my stats (much easier since the update). I'm at 91 styles with American IPA ranking first at 14.7% of reviews. I'm lucky, or unlucky, enough to appreciate almost anything defined as beer so most experiences have been bearable to outstanding.

Cheers all & enjoy the new beer in your glass!

kemoarps, TheGent, superspak and 47 others like this.
  9. woodychandler

Trader

DEF NOT the actual. Related? Unknown, but doubtful.

kemoarps, FFFjunkie and Premo88 like this.
  10. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,127) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Excellent review and tasty-looking food, as always.

I was searching for a video of a particular drinking song earlier this weekend and came across a review of yours instead. I’m sure people can guess the song I’m referring to, but will post it with my new beer later today if not. Na zdorovie!

11. Blackop555

Blackop555 Meyvn (1,193) Dec 12, 2016 Michigan
    Premium Trader

[​IMG]

Not new to me but new format and it is different to me than the first. It appears to be lighter color. It is way more tropical than the first batch and seems like alcohol is a touch higher. Review would be longer but I'm at my brother's about to shingle a roof before i go to work.

TheGent, Bum4ever, superspak and 41 others like this.
  12. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (2,979) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Trader

Good morning, New Beer Sunday friends and family! Man, I'm excited to be back!

I'm still jet lagged like a mo-fo. Between that and some bad news last night, I couldn't fall asleep until about 4 am, and even then just had to battle through nightmares before giving up. So ..... yeah, it's time for a brew.

[​IMG]
    Aardwolf Brandy Barrel Aged Tio de Nadal (imperial stout, 10.8%, conditioned on cacao nibs and vanilla beans, and aged in brandy barrels)

You can pretty much guess the profile based on the description alone. It's not the most complex adjunct-BA stout - it's not even Aardwolf's best - but it is very good. Don't let my criticism lend an impression that I'm not enjoying it: I definitely am!

Many BA beers - and high ABV stouts in general - suffer in the appearance category, with poor head production and often worse retention. That's definitely not the case here. Lacing is fine, and 20 minutes into the pour (and about 40% done with the glass), there's still some dark tan head hanging on for dear life.

The nose is inviting, and nails the ingredients and the treatment. On the palate, it's more balanced - bitter, even - than I expected, but it's very good. The vanilla adds depth without significant sweetness, and the barrel carries a woodiness nearly equal to the brandy depth.

Back-end heat - unsurprising - is not overpowering, and the overall feel on the palate is sticky, with slight liveliness and excellent drinkability.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30858/318358/?ba=Roguer#review
    4.1 / -2.8% (only 2 ratings and my 1 review, so the rDev is meaningless at this time)

Cheers!

LeperJim, cavedave, TheGent and 48 others like this.
  13. woodychandler

Trader

Seems like a pretty good bargain to me!

The name puts me in mind of a flensing knife. I have a scar on the middle finger of my L hand from a Marine who tried to get the jump on me in Olongapo City, Philippines when I gained the upper hand. He squirmed loose & I got ready for some hand-to-hand & real fisticuffs when he pulled out a flenser and cut my finger open down to the bone! Fugly, man. I tore outta there 'cause you don't bring fists to a knife fight! I had been trained in emergency first aid as a shipboard Locker Leader, so I took care of it on my own, but it is an ugly, jagged white scar. I'll try to capture it in my next pic.

cavedave, MacMalt, FFFjunkie and 8 others like this.
  14. rgordon

rgordon Champion (837) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I was just now sitting here when a big gust brought down a neighbor's big butternut hickory, smashing and ripping apart an old silver maple on the front of my property. The majority of both hickory an maple are half way across the street. Damn.....

15. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (3,101) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Good morning New BSers! So far, it's a foggy and moderately warm morning here in NW PA. I picked up a few apples from my backyard trees this morning, before the temperature got high enough to over-stimulate the yellow jackets, nasty little bastards that they are. While we were in TX for a couple of weeks, it rained most days here. My son was watching the house, getting the mail and newspapers, etc, and was going to pick up the daily apple fall, which, when we left, was about 150/day. Needless to say (but I'll say it anyway), no apples were picked up. Multiply150/day by 16 days and you can guess that the yellow jackets have taken over the back yard. So, each morning after it's light enough to see and before the hornets warm up to optimum temperature, I'm picking up apples, many acting as yellow jacket dirty spoons. The only saving graces are the daily fall is decreasing and the apples (Macs) are getting ripe enough to eat.

Anyway, thanks, @lordofthewiens, for starting today's thread. A few years back I went to Albuquerque for a seminar and took Mrs. Lizard along. We spent a couple of extra days traveling in the area and found so much of interest that we went back the next year for the annual opening of the Trinity site as well as more tourism (Ghost ranch (Coelophysis, Georgia O'Keeffe)), meteor crater (AZ), the phytosaur exhibit at the Museum of Natural History, petroglyphs, and, of course, food that about destroyed every taste bud I ever had. Oh yeah, I had some decent beer out there as well.

Speaking of decent beer...

$ 7.06 (Including tax and discount)/12 oz bottle ($ 0.588/oz) from Spec’s, DeZavala, San Antonio, TX. Reviewed 9/16/18.
    “06/06/18” in light green ink on shoulder. Stored at 42 degrees and served at 60 degrees in a hand washed and dried Jester King snifter.
    Appearance – 3.75.
    Body – Dark brown/black, opaque. When held to the light, a very deep red-amber is observed.
    Head – None. A fizzy head of large brownish bubbles appears while the beer is pouring but this is gone within five seconds of the termination of pouring, leaving neither cap nor lacing.
    Lacing – None.
    First pour – Amber/brown, clear.
    Aroma – 4 - "Dark fruit", primarily dates, and sweet.
    Flavor – 4.25 - Begins with a not-unpleasant slight oxidation flavor which segues into a trace of vinous. This is followed by a melange of "dark fruit" flavors, none as clear-cut as the dates on the nose. There is next-to-no hop flavor, noted only at the end of a swallow. No alcohol (12.5% ABV), no diacetyl, no dimethylsulfide.
    Palate – 4.25 - Full, creamy, soft carbonation.
    Impression and interpretation – 4 – Despite the absence of a mousse-like head, this is a good take on a Belgian quad. The flavor is good as are the nose and the palate. I should have picked up some more of these.

My vict target in NBS BIF #8 may find one of these in one of the boxes.

LeperJim, cavedave, TheGent and 48 others like this.
  16. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,541) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Keeping fingers crossed that it won't get worse for you and yours.

17. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,949) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

It's actually rather cool this morning. That won't last long of course but is a refreshing change . . .

[​IMG]

Deep, rich amber gold color with white cap and lacing.

Aroma of caramel malt dusted with spicy hops. That doesn't sound like much but malt is strong in this one.

Flavor is malt forward with great depth and complexity. It isn't just malt, it's malt personified with a wieldy room filling presence. I quite like it and this may be my eventual choice over those that preceded it. Sweetness is present yet in a restrained way that complements the flavor profile rather than being a defining influence. Hops are there like Rococo flourishes on the edge of a large gilded frame which is to say they're noticed but don't really draw attention away from the main picture.

Medium full texture with balancing carbonation.

Overall I'm glad they chose to go in this direction. An Oktoberfest that shows the rich lushness of Autumn with all the bounty of Summer behind it.

cavedave, TheGent, Smakawhat and 43 others like this.
  18. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,619) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Do you like cute beer names?

There are over 6,600 craft breweries in America today and growing at a rate of around 3 new breweries opening up every day. Coming up with unique brand names has got to be challenging right now!!

So, Sly Fox came up with a brand name of Baby Sparkles for a new, rotating hoppy beer. I can only speculate how the brewers arrived at this name.

So, what kind of a beer is Baby Sparkles?

Well, on the can it is labeled as being a “Pottstown-Style Double Dry Hopped India Pale Ale”. I guess that answers the question of how this beer was named!?!

There is also some intriguing artwork on the can which seems to be inspired by cartoons of Nickelodeon.

Also on the can it states: “6.5% ABV”

Enough jibber-jabber, let’s drink!!

Served in my Gulden Draak tulip glass:

Appearance:

A slightly hazy golden color with a BIG fluffy white head.

Aroma:

The first thought that crossed my mind upon the first sniff is ‘juicy’! But what does ‘juicy’ smell like? Perhaps a less ambiguous description would be a combination of tropical fruit aromas but with just a hint of citrus.

Taste:

The flavor follows the nose. Yup ‘juicy’ is there (a combination of tropical fruit aromas but with just a hint of citrus). There is a low/moderate bitterness.

Mouthfeel:

The body is smooth/velvety with an off-dry finish.

Overall:

I think this beer is very good! I enjoyed drinking it. This beer as all of the attributes associated with a ‘NEIPA’ with the exception that it lacks a turbid/opaque appearance.

Cheers!

@KOP_Beer_OUtlet @rotsaruch @honkey @NeroFiddled @Kadonny

[​IMG]

cavedave, TheGent, Smakawhat and 42 others like this.
  19. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (1,652) Mar 7, 2013 Quebec (Canada)
    Trader

I wonder how long till BA adds to PSDDHIPA to the styles list.:wink:

Bum4ever, 2beerdogs, MacMalt and 11 others like this.
  20. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (3,175) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire

[​IMG] Another awesome and very new brewery that has delivered some world class beers and this yet another one. Pours like a glass of pineapple oj with a nice two plus finger sticky off white head that leaves a load of webby lace behind, canned on 8/31/18 and 7.4% ABV. 4.75

Smell is papaya, peach, mellon, mandarin orange, and a little grapefruit rind.4.5

Taste follows tropical front to back papaya, peach, cantaloupe, orange, and a nice balanced grapefruit finish. 4.5

Mouthfeel is bigger than average, soft of the palate, gentle carbonation, maybe a little sticky from all the hops, and goes down way too easy at its ABV. 5

Overall this is just another amazing NEIPA from them, watch out this brewery because they are killing it. 4.5

cavedave, TheGent, superspak and 44 others like this.
  21. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,455) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

Pumpkin beers aren't normally my thing, but a trusted friend recommended this one. Figured I'd give it a whirl due to the coffee edition. I have a steaming mug of El Salvador Santos Bourbon coffee ready for me once I complete this review, of which I'm typing on a keycap set called "coffee", so lets dig into this one!

[​IMG]

Southern Tier's Cold Press Coffee Pumking.

Pours a pumpkin orange with a nearly complete transparency. Head formation is fizzy, and reluctant, eventually fizzing up to a finger in height. This fizzy, khaki foam retains okay forming large bubbles on top of the still orange liquid. Aroma is a strong hit of pumpkin and spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and ginger. Shortly behind the strong pumpkin presence, is a smooth, bold-bodied cold brewed coffee. It's of a medium roast, with a subtle chocolateness. It does serve up a heaping of sugary sweetness in the aroma, reminiscent of that one aunt sipping coffee after Thanksgiving dinner, who always seemed to load up her pumpkin pie with a heap of whipped cream. Flavor profile is just as complex, but much more of a blur. There is a barrage of pumpkin, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, creamer, and cold brewed coffee. Coffee and pumpkin presence are nice, with the spices driving the flavor profile straight off a sugary ledge. It's incredibly sweet, with the bitterness from the coffee doing very little to tame it. Mouth feel is still, with a medium-thick consistency. Overall, lots and lots going on here, but the biting sweetness is a bit much. Its an extremely flavorful dessert beer that is a little harsh on the palate.

Score: 4 | 4.5 | 3.75 | 3.75 | 4 | BA Score: 4.0 | rDev: -1.2%

Personal notes:
    I normally have an affection for sweet things, but this one is a bit over the top, at least to me right here and right now. I did buy a 4 pack, which is hopefully not for the worst. The fortunate side there is that I have 3 other occasions to visit this beer and amend my review and scores. To me right here, right now, this is my review of this beer. Coffee portion is excellent.

Cheers.

LeperJim, cavedave, TheGent and 46 others like this.
  22. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (5,695) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Trader

Thanks to @lordofthewiens for this weeks great start to NBS. Hopefully I can find a new brew for today.

Cheers!

23. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,529) Jun 11, 2013 New York

"Aroma:

The first thought that crossed my mind upon the first sniff is ‘juicy’! But what does ‘juicy’ smell like? Perhaps a less ambiguous description would be a combination of tropical fruit aromas but with just a hint of citrus."

By Jove! I think he's got it! =)

24. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,949) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

Can't find a new brew in Colorado? Say it ain't so.

2beerdogs, Wasatch, FFFjunkie and 5 others like this.
  25. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (4,109) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Premium

Good morning, NBS crew. I'm really looking forward to delving into my new beer today. I had a little bit of it on Friday, and enjoyed it pretty much, but figured I'd give it a full review today. The beer is from von Trapp and is the first beer I have seen from them around here. Based on other postings on this site, I quickly snapped up a six-pack of this beer, their Dunkel, and am hoping we see more in the future.

Per the label: "German for 'dark,' our Dunkel is deep, rich, and smooth with a surprisingly crisp finish." I have always tended to enjoy Dunkels when I run across them, which isn't too often, let's verify my Friday sips and/or the label's claims, shall we?

[​IMG]

Pours a medium brown with unsurprising clarity. A fairly aggressive initial pour drove the beige head to about three fingers of medium-sized bubbles, with a more careful completion of getting 12oz into the glass, the head settled into about a finger and a half. As I spent a few minutes typing up this intro, the more creamy remnants still capped the mahogany body.

I actually dove right in with a big gulp to see if any lacing would be produced. The answer is yes - near curtain-like, but my upsetting of the still liquid also brought forth a thick ring. Also, that first sip was very enjoyable.

Stepping back, I went to check out the nose. What I smelled was a dark toast to maybe even a darkly browned soft pretzel note. I wouldn't go so far as pumpernickel - but something similar to that scent was present. There was not much sweetness to the nose, so I presumed a more neutral hop or one that plays into the darker malts well, maybe earthen to wooden to reedy - but it wasn't distinct.

Back for another swallow (with the head presently a near perfectly circular island), and I got mostly that pumpernickel bread note - at least as the main/base flavor for this beer. The flavor was closer to the bread than the nose. There was also a little bit of caramel malt sweetness coming out early. The bitterness was also more discernible in the taste. I think in and of themselves, when I try to focus on the bitter flavors, the hops (which I presume are noble German hops given the bottle's claim of "crafted with the finest traditional ingredients") might be somewhat grassy. But in the beer, they came across as more pine-woody (not resinous), perhaps from the combination with the nutty highly toasted malts and the hops themselves.

Body would probably be considered lighter than it "felt" due to the decent boldness of the malt flavors. I would go with an overall impression of nearing medium for this lager. Carbonation was light, but sufficient, and there was a little lingering tingle... like a spice-induced note that could be considered a lingering flavor, perhaps.

Anyhow, I really enjoyed this beer. I seem to be in the minority of people who like brown ales (although even I am somewhat particular about them), and the malt profile of this beer reminded me a little of the brown ales I do enjoy. The lagering might actually be the key here, as this Dunkel doesn't have the somewhat tart to tangy note that I think comes out in some ales. The beer is somewhat dry, which adds to the quality that I learned from a few people on this thread: süffig. In fact, I am going to open another after hitting "Post Reply." Prost!

LeperJim, cavedave, TheGent and 46 others like this.
  26. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (2,006) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

[​IMG]

A-Pours a nice clear dark amber color with a nice head and lacing
    A-Aroma has molasses, maple and abundant Bourbon barrel hints
    T-The taste follows the aroma with well balanced molasses, maple and Bourbon flavors
    M-A medium bodied well carbonated beer
    O-A very well balanced Bourbon aged beer

cavedave, TheGent, bl00 and 44 others like this.
  27. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Champion (829) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey

Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest
    ..amber color
    ..around a medium body with just above average carbonation
    ..aroma is very mild but a pleasing mix of different malts, molasses, brown sugar
    ..taste is similar to aroma, lots of malt and brown sugar. They must blend different malts because on hand it seemed simple but then there seemed to be a mix of subtle flavors
    .. overall it's an Oktoberfest that's definitely worth a try[​IMG]

cavedave, TheGent, superspak and 38 others like this.
  28. VABA

[​IMG]

A-Pours a very dark opaque color with a slight head and lacing
    A-Aroma has roasty malts, mocha and espresso hints
    T-The taste follows the aroma with roasty malts, mocha and espresso flavors
    M-A medium bodied moderately carbonated beer
    O-A nice creamy stout

cavedave, TheGent, superspak and 38 others like this.
  29. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (1,572) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Happy Sunday, NBS crew! This was supposed to be my first new brew today:
    [​IMG]
    Clearly oxidized, so did not review. Down the drain it went. Thankfully my second new beer isn’t wrecked by oxygen!

There You Are - Threes
    IPA - 6% abv
    Canned 8/22/18 (25 days ago)
    Purchased for $17/4 at Threes’ Bottle Shop
    Score: 4.09 (+3.8% rDev)
    [​IMG]

Review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/37460/229182/?ba=CanConPhilly#review

Synopsis:
    This one features Waimea, Motueka, and Wakatu hops, so it definitely has a different flavor profile than the norm. In particular, this one has a funky cheese taste mid-palate, which might turn off some but I’m enjoying it since it doesn’t trample the other, more tropical flavors. Also, hey NBS BIF target, you’re getting one of these to try!

30. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (1,572) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Really want to try this, but the bottle shops here are charging $7/bottle! Not sure I can pull the trigger at that price.

FFFjunkie, Premo88 and VABA like this.
  31. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,570) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Lol, love that joke, if guys could do that ....well you know.

In between raindrops the wifey and I was out and about, and I found these. Total price $6. What going into the GI glass at kickoff is a brand new Tired Hands brew @beertunes. What I'm doing is wearing off a wee bit of a Mint Julep hangover, and I'm guessing that first beer will be a real pick me up.
    [​IMG]

Bum4ever, Smakawhat, Buck89 and 32 others like this.
  32. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,524) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Premium Trader

Fun new addition to Industrial Way. One stop brewery crawl!

Bum4ever, FFFjunkie, Premo88 and 2 others like this.
  33. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (1,792) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Premium Trader

Not really out of my comfort zone, but the detour was off my beaten path when I visited the Other Half brewery this week in Brooklyn. I'll revise as the brewery offers several highly rated beers on BA. My new beer this week is

Double Nelson Daydream

4.5/5 rDev +4.2%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

canned 9.5.18, opened 9.15.18, poured into a teku glass

" Ha ha , I touched your heart"

Hazy golden amber liquid, pencil thin off white foam cap quick settles to a ring

Fragrant aroma on the our of fruit, white grapes

Taste is tropical fruit, green grapes, lychee

SMOOOOTH....hop taste without the bite, the flavor nicely lingers, semi-dry finish

Really good beer, repeatable

AND

Double Simcoe Daydream

Growler from beer boutique

One finger frothy white foam cap over hazy golden yellow liquid

Aroma of mango, tropical fruits, whif of pine

Taste is mango, tropical fruits

VERY SMOOTH, almost creamy, no hop bitterness, flavor only

Delicious beer

I am still having trouble posting BA worthy images. If you have read this review to the end, I would welcome any suggestions towards posting images, PROSIT!!

cavedave, TheGent, superspak and 36 others like this.
  34. zid

zid Champion (867) Feb 15, 2010 New York

[​IMG]

Allagash Two Lights

Today I will be featuring two pairs of beers. The first pair are from Allagash.

Two Lights is a beer brewed with sauvignon blanc grape must, champagne yeast and lager yeast.

It's pale yellow and a little hazy. It tastes of lemon and underripe "white" grape. It has an angular hop finish that doesn't feel well-suited to it. Carbonation is average.

My first impression of this beer fell short of my expectations. I was expecting something a bit more distinctive but hopefully not a caricature. This certainly isn't a caricature, but it's not very distinctive either. I'll reserve judgement until I'm done with the 4 pack.

cavedave, TheGent, superspak and 43 others like this.
  35. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (3,130) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Premium Trader

Getting ready to watch the Eagles and grad, first up 2SP Crab!, an APA with blue crabs added to its boil.

4.12/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

32 oz crowler poured into a pint glass

A- A fairly clear golden amber with a two finger white head

S- Citrus, pine, some caramel malts, a little salty/briny

T- Citrus, briny, some malt sweetness, piney.

M- Smooth, medium body.

O- A fun twist on an APA adding crabs, adds a nice brininess/saltiness that works very well with the hops.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!

cavedave, TheGent, Bum4ever and 40 others like this.
  36. Bluecrow

Bluecrow Champion (815) Jul 16, 2012 New York

Mast Landing Brewery's Green to Green with Simcoe and El Dorado is on of a series of IPAs with rotating hops.
    - this hazy amber can pour has a thin foam cap that dissipates quickly and a whiff of "where's that cat?" Simcoe aroma. The flavor is full with pineapple, grapefruit and a resin note. The mouthfeel is a bit tingly and hop bitterness is moderate. I like this IPA.
    [​IMG]

cavedave, TheGent, superspak and 41 others like this.
  37. VABA

[​IMG]

A-Pours a nice clear amber color with a slight head and lacing
    A-Aroma has caramel, fresh-baked bread and hop hints
    T-The taste follows the aroma with caramel, fresh-baked bread and hop flavors
    M-A light bodied well carbonated beer
    O-A nice crisp lager

cavedave, TheGent, superspak and 37 others like this.
  38. VABA

Really good, but I agree just too steep a price.

I purchased a 4-pk at Total Wine in Va for $18.99.

You may just want to head to the Total Wine in Delaware and stock up, it's worth it.

39. zid

zid Champion (867) Feb 15, 2010 New York

Just the other day I was thinking to myself that it’s odd that Troegs doesn’t put out an Oktoberfest.

FFFjunkie, TongoRad, Premo88 and 3 others like this.
  40. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,127) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Speak for yourself, Dale. I wouldn’t lick dog balls even if it was legal. :crazy_face:

Enjoy the beer. Go Birds!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.