New Beer Sunday (Week 717)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cjgiant, Nov 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,597) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Good afternoon NBS, hope all is well. Trying to get through some my my hoppy beer before Thanksgiving to help make room for some big stouts, I’m very excited to pick up Victory Java Cask Maple!!

Starting my Sunday with some Creature Comforts Imperial Tropical Haze thanks to @JBowenGeorgia!

4.23/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thank you JBowenGeorgia for for this
    16 oz can poured into a tulip

A- A hazy golden orange with a two finger white head.

S- Citrus, some pine, resin, tropical fruits, guava.

T- Citrus, some tropical fruits, pineapple, guava, resin, piney.

M- Smooth, medium body.

O- A really nice DIPA, good balance, easy to drink.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!

nc41, Roguer, Ozzylizard and 37 others like this.
  2. AyatollahGold

AyatollahGold Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2016 Indiana

Really excited to try it. I'm not a liquor drinker, just a beer drinker, and I've never had anything scotch barrel aged (pretty sure) so I'm sure it will be a completely new experience to me!

3. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

New Beer Sunday: American Wild Ale

Afternoon NBSers with an alert for seekers of sours or beer-wine hybrids.

This afternoon’s new beer is the Dark Swan from Lagunitas.

As usual, my review, subject to revision until I finish the beer, can be found here:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/220/254756/?ba=drtth#review

An interesting hybrid beer that involves fermenting Petite Syrah grapes as part of the beer. The aromas/flavors are almost entirely about the red wine grapes. But there’s also some light earthy hop character that blends in nicely with the sour tartness all tempered by a bit of sweetness.

Cheers, all!

4. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,739) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Beer number 2 is kinda new kinda not. I've had Buriels Shadowclock Pils before and it's outstanding, but the new part is that this is a fresh hop brew.

This beer comes in at 5.5 abv, and the hops they used were from Michigans Hop Head Farms and it's Zuper Zazzer. 600 pounds worth then lagered for 3 weeks.

Terriffic pour, nice color, retains the head till the end. The first think I noticed was the zest, a lemony one, I was expecting a bit of sharp hops at the finish and it's not there. I feel like I'm trying to drink a beer after sucking on a lemon drop, the zest for me is a bit distracting. I'd really just prefer a straight up hop kiss on the finish. Much prefer a Pils like Red Oak here at home, but I'd still rate It like 3.75 or so. Could be a beer that grows on me now that I know what it is, but the zest part is a bit of a pucker.
    [​IMG]

5. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,221) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I visited a beer from this brewery a few weeks ago - an English Dark Mild. Last night, I stepped foot into the brewery myself and tried several beers and took more to-go. Starting my tour with this simple lager, since there is nothing to hide behind.

[​IMG]

Apex Alework's Czech Pale Premium Lager.

Pours a straw color with a translucent consistency. Head formation is low out of the can, with a finger of white foam resting on top. Aroma is pale, pilsner, and bread malts with a clean, dry finish. Light spicy, herbal hops interject just before the finish. Flavor profile is pilsner malts intermingled with spicy, herbal, and floral hops. Together, it generates a flavorful beer with a crisp, semi-dry finish. Mouth feel is crisp with the medium bodied crispness breaking apart ever-so-slightly due to a slight injection of lightly grainy texture. While the fuzziness adds a touch to the texture in a favorable way, it also detracts from the crispness, neutralizing any benefit. Overall, a light, semi-dry, crisp lager with a splash of herbal, spicy hops. It drinks refreshing, while still providing a little hoppy, malty playfulness.

Score: 3.75 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | BA Score: 3.99 | rDev: N/A (first review/rating)

6. nc41

Society Trader

The only scotch barrel I've had was a JW Lee I think it was, Lagavulen barrel. That beer was wierdly horrible in its own right, and destroyed a terriffic Islay peat and smokey monster of a scotch.

What Scotch barrel did they use?

7. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,697) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Crosspost:
    OK...I'm minding my own business, sitting outside with my dogs, reading an issue of New Mexico Wild that my brother brought out from Las Cruces, and generally enjoying a beautiful morning. You see, my main job in the AM hours on the weekend is to keep everything quiet, and then when the family stirs to life, fix breakfast.
    As I was about to post a comment about last night's side by side with the Bruery's Chronology 6 and Chronology 24 BA Scotch ale, my brother comes in and asks about the "box on the porch."

I knew not of what he spoke.

So, a mystery box, from the NORTHWEST? But dropped off instead of shipped? What the HELL is going on.
    #LNBA???
    Stalker???

And this is what I beheld:

Fremont:
    BA Dark Star
    BA Dark Star: Spice Wars
    BA Dark Star: Coffee Edition
    Dark Star
    (in a can- didn't know that existed)
    Mod Pod IPA

Chuck's Notion IPA by Great Nation
    Cold Beer by Skagit
    Offertory by Holy Mountain
    Inside Passage Ale IPA from Boundary Bay<--- does this narrow down my suspect?
    Bootjack IPA from Icicle Brewing

And... Rye Whiskey Caramel Sauce by Hot Cakes

So, my question is this! Who? When? And are you in town?

8. papposilenus

papposilenus Poo-Bah (1,683) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Society

Just time for one quick post maybe before I get dragged off to do yet more chores.

[​IMG]

Society & Solitude #12 from Hill Farmstead...

From a 750ml growler, filled at the brewery three days ago. Served in an IPA glass.

A thick-appearing beverage, turbid and murky, like a glass of caramel sauce. Actually, it looks like something way nastier than that but, in the interests of decorum, we're going to go with caramel sauce. Two-plus fingers of whipped tide-pool scuz, retention is very good, leaving a thick, creamy cap and huge gobs of suspended lacing. (2.75)

A fairly faint aroma of mildly sweet, damp grain and something vaguely fruity, maybe lemon tea and apple peels? (3.75)

There is an inexplicable burst of Welch's purple grape juice right off the bat which I can in no way account for based on the list of hops which supposedly went into this beer but which quickly fades into the background. Otherwise, the taste is a complex melange of toast and tobacco, brown sugar, lemon tea and pine bark. Earthy, seltzer-like, with a subtle balance of mild sweetness and piney/citrusy bitterness. (4.50)

Feel is clean, sharp and zippy, medium-thin bodied, with bright, tingly carbonation. (4.50)

Overall, this may be the ugliest beer ever commercially available, albeit on a limited basis. It was, however, delicious. (4.50)

Prager62, Roguer, Ozzylizard and 38 others like this.
  9. nc41

Society Trader

You got your porch buckled by a loving BA guy, nice job there whoever you are. Might be a spy if he could find your house unasked.

10. AyatollahGold

AyatollahGold Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2016 Indiana

I can't seem to find the scotch barrels they used for this. Only know that it was in them for 12 months and released in 2016. Would love to hear from someone if they know.

11. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,238) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

If that's an IPA, it looks and sounds oxidized, unless they used a lot of Munich and dark caramel malts.

12. hoptheology

hoptheology Poo-Bah (5,484) May 12, 2014 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Happy Sonday folks.
    Decided to capture the half inch of snow we got last night.

Today's feature : Blue Pants Pinstripe Stout (Peanut Butter). This one was a little less awesome than I thought it would be, but it's still a good beer.

[​IMG]

3.87/5 rDev -4%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12 oz can poured into Crane snifter.

Shiny black body with a beige-brown head of three fingers. Leaves sheets of lacing as it recedes.

Aroma is like opening a bag of raw peanuts. Earthy, nutty shells; slight dark coffee; faint chocolate bar.

Flavor is primarily roasted malts, followed by earthy flavors of peanut hull, wood, and faint mint; faint bakers cocoa/chocolate, slight ashy coffee, and finally a hint of metallic peanut butter. Earthy roasted malts follow through to the finish.

Feel is very creamy and full, it's fantastic. Nice moderate buzzing carbonation, and a dry roasty parched finish.

Overall don't break your back trying to find this one. It's decent but their Coffee+Milk Pinstripe is quite a bit better.

734 characters

LeRose, Roguer, Ozzylizard and 35 others like this.
  13. Jimmy_Kneecaps

Jimmy_Kneecaps Aspirant (269) Sep 19, 2017 Tennessee
    Trader

New saison Sunday sounds interesting. I’d be up for it, but I don’t have any today. What I do have is a beer called Ole Buddy from Chandeleur brewing company. This beer only has one rating on BA so I will add it’s first review. I have to thank @SouthernSips for this one he sent as an extra in our ghost in the machine for southern grist trade. Ole Buddy is a New England style ipa (don’t jump me @zid, it’s what the can says!).

Holy thickness Batman! This thing pours like a milkshake and I immediately regret eating lunch before trying this beer. This beer is a beautiful banana/pineapple yellow color, very attractive to me since I love them both. Little head, maybe a finger which dissapates fairly quickly to a ring with spotty islands in the middle. The aroma is ripe, maybe almost overripe, orange, grapefruit, and pear? It immediately entices me to take a sip. Taste follows the nose exactly but is accompanied by a hop burn which lasts all the way through to the finish. A nice crisp bitterness appears and quickly vanishes on the finish. Mouthfeel is surprisingly not as thick as I originally thought, just on the full side of medium. Overall a good beer and better than expected. Thanks James!

BA score 4.2

#53 Jimmy_Kneecaps, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    LeRose, Prager62, Roguer and 34 others like this.
  14. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,737) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Hey what's going on!?

Holy SMOKES! my beer fridge... is EMPTY!! Wow when does this happen?! So after a defrost I really needed a beer, and what a better opportunity then to go litteraly down the street and get a crowler from my local. Boy this could become a habit!

What's new for our hero today?

Astro Lab Brewing Company - Out Of This Whirl , Pale Ale

Poured from the crowler Canned November 17th 2018, into a nonic pint glass.

Hazy bodied, with an opaque dull lemon NEIPA looking like body appearance, with mild turbidity. Top is capped with a very fluffy creamy bright white head, almost ice cream cone looking, with clumpy chunks of thick head and lace as it settles.

Aroma is a big hop chunky mix of tropical fruit. Large amounts of pineapple burst off the nose, then settle to a little bit more of a grass bit and perhaps some lemon. Fruity big, even a little zest, and this is coming off more like an IPA.

Palate brings the goods. Light bodied malt base definitely more akin to pale ale simple qualities, little bit of sweetness from the malt, mixing in with more hop goodness. Minimal bitterness with excellent touches of light tropics continuing a mid palate of pineapple and light grass, possibly even some herbal green qualities too. Finishes quick, almost session like in feel but more full rounded and a bigger body.

Another great solid brew from these guys, more hop forward and style blurring it seems, but another solid brew in the bucket.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Cheers!

LeRose, Roguer, Ozzylizard and 34 others like this.
  15. nc41

Society Trader

I had a local ipa that looked like that, unlike the above I poured that crap out. The one I had looked ugly and tasted worse.

16. ichorNet

ichorNet Poo-Bah (1,957) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society

In my quest to try all the Bell's beers I've missed out on over the years, I discovered yet another darker beer that just came out in time for the holiday season. Very cool. This is Bell's Christmas Ale, categorized by the brewery as a Scotch ale, clocking in at 7.5% and packaged two weeks ago on 11/1/18.

[​IMG]

This one pours a very attractive deep-red color with a thin, retentive head of light khaki foam (<1 finger). No lace to speak of and not much head buildup, so this unfortunately seems like a pretty uneventful pour. That being said, I do love the hue of this one, and there's just enough haze in the body to give it a spectacular appearance of translucence when held up to light. Kinda torn on the appearance here, but given that Scotch ales typically aren't too foamy, I'll give it a pass and say it's a nice looking beer for the style.

The nose is richly malty with notes of caramel, toffee and biscuity maltiness. It has a slightly nutty aspect, as well, with some breadiness and an underlying earthy hop aspect. No alcohol presence is apparent here. Very simple, stately and traditional scent. I'm hoping it is slightly more interesting on the tongue, but even if it's not, it will probably still be quite good and drinkable.

My first sip leaves my palate coated in rich caramel with a surprisingly bold hoppiness toward the finish. Rather slick and oily with notes of baked bread and sticky toffee and a massaging carbonation. Clean and simple finish albeit with more earthy and herbal hop elements than I expected. Slight warming alcohol, but it's not obtrusive in any sense. Light orchard fruit flavor balances the sweet and heady maltiness. Somewhat nutty with a bit of dusty cocoa in there for good measure. Fairly chewy on the tongue. Subsequent sipping reveals a beer with a slightly deeper flavor as it warms; a bit toastier, nuttier and with more caramel, but it also does seem to acquire a veeeery slight metallic element. Anyway, as with most good Scotch ales, this opens up well over 10-15 minutes in the glass; a fairly-rewarding slow-sipper, for sure, but I don't think it stands out too much. That said, it's yet another feather in the cap of a brewery that I have been very grateful to finally enjoy beers from after only having heard about them for so long.

Pairing this with some good, weird tunes.

LeRose, Roguer, Ozzylizard and 37 others like this.
  17. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

My first beer ever from Spellbound Brewing in Mount Holly NJ. Simply named Pale Ale, it's a 5.5% ABV APA and a very nice one. It pours a pale golden color with a long lasting white head, Citra hops are used and give this brew a nice mild citrus aroma. The taste is also citrus but a bready malt flavor is present. Mouthfeel is medium and the finish is day and lasting. A very enjoyable and drinkable pale ale.

LeRose, Roguer, Ozzylizard and 25 others like this.
  18. HorseheadsHophead

Society

It's a sad but common fate for small breweries. I learned to identify oxidation in beers real fast. A certain local brewery has been plagued with it. Oxidized beer is garbage.

19. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,424) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Always enjoy seeing a little twist in an NBS post. Good job. If you do the same thing for all four, I have faith that you'll at least get the last one right. I hope :wink:

Cheers!

20. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,869) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

New beer #4. Thanks @JBowenGeorgia !

Zoose Joose - Westbrook feat, Angry Chair
    Sour ale - 4% abv
    Score: 4.02 (-6.1% rDev)

[​IMG]

Review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24134/377316/?ba=CanConPhilly#review

Synopsis:
    A wild mishmash of adjunct flavors. More of a fruit beer than a sour, I get the cherry and citrus most of all, but there are like 8 other additions to this. Somewhat overwhelming to my palate, and a little too sweet, but it is tasty! Thanks again John.

LeRose, Prager62, Roguer and 36 others like this.
  21. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,504) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Someone was drinking that beer yesterday in WBAYDN and it looked exactly the same way. I thought the same thing. I believe it was @VABA

Perhaps he can comment on his experience with that beer.

22. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,669) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Good afternoon NBS, @cjgiant thanks for the thoughtful start to the thread.
    WMass is preparing for another winter dose Monday into Tuesday. Gladly the outside project list is completed.
    Todays offering is from Mystic Brewery in Chelsea MA. The offering is billed as farmhouse ale with cranberries. I struggled a bit with the texture of this one. Beyond that an interesting offering from talented brewers.
    Cheers all

3.93/5 rDev +5.1%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a 750 ml cage and cork bottle, purchased at the brewery. 2018 release
    A - Strawberry milkshake in color and cloudiness, 1" whipped cream on top. Froth last throughout the experience
    S - Yeasty, hints of cranberry, white pepper, rising sourdough, sweet fresh puree of peach.
    T - This stays in a narrow lane, yeast driven, soft fruit flesh, hint of malt base, tinge funky.
    M - Creamsicle, in texture, I am a bit turned off by it, flabby, sweet start and finish, which is surprising , the very end a hint cranberry tartness.
    O - Interesting offering, One I will try another year

LeRose, Prager62, Roguer and 35 others like this.
  23. nc41

Society Trader

I’ve always associated oxidized beers as more of a cardboard hit, a bit stale and lifeless. That ipa I had in Mt Airey was just
    Horrible, definitely sweat socks and moldy jock straps. It looked like what the op didn’t want to call it.

24. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (13,086) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Schell's Sahti, 5.99% ABV. Pours golden, with a one finger white head that mostly dissipated by the time I got a decent picture. Nose is malt and pine, taste is malty and unidentified spice, almost no bitterness. Decent mouthfeel, overall excellent.

This is style #109 out of 111 for me. I had to buy a 12-beer variety pack to get it. Only Happoshu and American Brett to go. Happoshu will be the more difficult. I've gotten this far without trading, but may need to in order to get that one.

[​IMG]

LeRose, Roguer, Ozzylizard and 32 others like this.
  25. zid

zid Meyvn (1,279) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

[​IMG]

Sierra Nevada Single Hop El Dorado Session IPA

Like other modern American session IPAs, this beer is plagued by the impression of being too watery for its own good and lacking in any malt heft. Despite that, there is nonetheless an odd mucousy aspect to it too (particularly on the finish). This beer is visually in sync with the previous two beers in the pack. The taste has a peach and lychee character to it. The mucous is actually the best thing about it and provides it with some good character.

#65 zid, Nov 18, 2018
    LeRose, Roguer, Ozzylizard and 36 others like this.
  26. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,869) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

LeRose, Prager62, Roguer and 36 others like this.
  27. hoptheology

hoptheology Poo-Bah (5,484) May 12, 2014 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Having a Berliner Weiss from Red Cypress in FL.

This one was, well...interesting.

[​IMG]

3.57/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

"Berliner Weiss style ale brewed with Blackberries, Cherries, Limes, Vanilla, and Lactose"

12 oz can dated 9/18/18. Poured into Crane Snifter.

Beet red/maroon color with a bubble gum pink head of 1/2 finger.

Aroma is far more complex than most Berliners. Blackberries wrapped in soft warm vanilla sugar, slight black cherry, and whole milk.

The beer drinks like a bad communion wine. Flavor is earthy, musty, and raw, to the point of being outright odious. Dirty blackberries, cherry pits, lime peels left in the sweltering Mexican sun, sweat socks, lemon/lime mineral water, dirt, and must. After a few sips it starts to set up camp on the palate, and it's not quite as offensive as the outset. Still a bit of a hurdle to overcome though.

Feel is pleasantly creamy but for those who actually like Berliners it would be a distraction. The carbonation is buzzing which helps the beer fall in line with the style more, and the back half performs more like a Berliner should.

Overall this is a unique thing and only recommended if you're really looking for something to defy style guidelines.

1,100 characters

LeRose, Roguer, Ozzylizard and 33 others like this.
  28. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,113) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Sunday Paper...
    [​IMG]
    Exhibit 'A' Brewing's 9.9% abv imperial coffee stout collab with Barrington Roasting...
    [​IMG]
    Pours a nice black color and presents likewise in the glass, with a finger of dark tan foam on top... Pretty straight-forward coffee stout - kicks up solid roasted coffee and chocolate malt char aromas, and the flavors are in line with that - roasty char of cocoa and coffee, bittersweet, but leaning more toward the bitter, producing a little drying on the finish... Full-feeling and smooth, a little bit of sticky molasses sweetness on the finish... Coffee stout fans will be pleased, but I found it fairly standard for the style...

Here's to new beer in your glass, cheers...

LeRose, Roguer, Ozzylizard and 40 others like this.
  29. strohme2

strohme2 Meyvn (1,044) Nov 3, 2007 Michigan
    Trader

First new beer today, thanks to @Roguer
    [​IMG]

4.18/5 rDev +4.2%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce can, I’m not sure of the date but there are numbers printed on bottom. Poured into a tulip.
    Pours a pink/orange, like the flesh of ruby red grapefruit, fine bubbled soft pink head. A really beautiful presentation.
    The nose is raspberries, a bit of lemon/lime, hints of oak. Raspberry is the dominant aroma for me.
    Much of the same in the taste. Sweet raspberry candy, citrus, lemon juice, underripe strawberries. Lightly tart, medium body and carbonated just enough to wash it all away. Good beer for this sour lightweight.

30. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,424) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

It might've been VABA, since he brought one of those beers from VT to us. The brewer I believe lists it as a "Red IPA" - and it is the choice of malt that give the color you see in the picture. Knowing this doesn't change the fact that the beer wasn't all that pretty to look at, though I agree with @papposilenus that the beer was much tastier than it looked.

Edit: an "imperial Red IPA"

#70 cjgiant, Nov 18, 2018
  31. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois

Now THAT is how you do a ninja strike! Holy shit!!!

32. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,546) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

There are many things I miss about Minnesota, but having easy access to Schell's beers is in the Top 5 (seeing Little O on a monthly basis is at the top of that list). I've had 59 of their beers, took the tour with Mrs O 3 or 4 times (they were 25 minutes away), and generally just enjoyed everything about them - their beers, their vibe, their "plan." The 2nd oldest family-owned brewery in the US (Yuengling is #1), they're magnificent, IMHO.

33. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Savant (996) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Trader

Happy Sunday NBS players. A grey overcast and rather cold fall day here on the island. We had our first snow fall this past week and it looks like winter is starting to show its teeth. Spending my day inside watching football all day. I'm looking at another nice week of vacation time with the upcoming holiday week. As such I have a few new beers today so we'll see how many I actually get to.

My first new beer today is Double Pull, imperial stout brewed w/ milk sugar, espresso, and flaked oats, from Captain Lawrence brewing. The brew checks in at 10.5% abv and no canning date. Since it just hit shelves it's pretty safe to assume fairly fresh but it would be nice to know for sure.

A black pour with a subtle mocha head that goes away quickly. The nose is on the subtle side as well with chocolate malt and hints of coffee grinds. The drinking starts with rich and lush chocolate malts mixed with sweet and robust coffee grinds. A bitter flow that finishes nicely smooth. I just love how coffee forward the beer is. The mouth feel is rather full bodied. There is a really nice mix of subtle stickiness, the bitter and dry coffee grinds, and the sweet lactose flavors. Good lingering flavors on the palate as well. I've barely stopped to even notice the abv.

Overall, wow I'm really impressed with how good this is. I'm in the low 4's to possible 4.5 on the taste.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LeRose, Roguer, Ozzylizard and 37 others like this.
  34. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (6,769) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Excellent start to today's NBS!

Count me in for any sort of California fire-related virtual share.

Today's first beer (and first new beer) is a collaboration between Jackie O and Solera...

Well, the short and sweet is that I find this a failed collaboration, primarily because there is little lager-like qualities to the beer and the over-dominant brett/wild ale character lacks depth and complexity. To quote my review summation:

As mentioned by other reviewers, this is more of a wild/farmhouse beer with little lager-like qualities. Their is not much fruit qualities either. Basically, the beer is a dry, somewhat funky wild beer without much depth or distinguishing character.

Not every beer is a winner (that's a given), but at least many (subjectively) lesser quality beers are still drinkable and, if nothing else, may open one's eyes (and taste buds) to different ways of approaching things.

LeRose, Roguer, Ozzylizard and 30 others like this.
  35. TheGent

Society Trader

Afternoon, NBS!

New Country Beer Sunday for me with Pime ÖÖ PX from Põhjala Brewery in Tallinn, Estonia.

4.24/5 rDev -2.5%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I have been drinking this beer for the past hour and in real time have this much left:

Appearance: This beer pours black with highlights of dark brown around the edges. It appears viscous and opaque. A flash of dark brown, loosely packed bubbles form as I pour the beer aggressively, but quickly disappear. Zero head whatsoever and no visible carbonation. I’ve got a spec of red wax in my glass that fell into the bottle when pulling off the cap.

Smell: This beer smells sugary sweet. Like a booze soaked fruit cake. Dark fruits including raisin, figs, dates, espresso coffee, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, panettone, dark bread, dark bread dough, meaty, hints of smoke and roast. Getting some cinnamon stick. Noticeable alcohol presence as the beer warms up, and upon taking a deep whiff.

Taste: Up front on the tip of the tongue this beer reminds me of port / sherry for sure. I don’t know in what type of the wood the sherry ages, but this beer has a definitive woody character. Sweet dark fruit including raisins. Burnt sugar sweetness and bitterness. Caramel and toffee. Again, suggestions of meat and smoke. This beer evokes feelings of Glögg at Christmas time with raisins and almonds soaking in the bottom. Roasty.

Mouthfeel: Thick, slick mouthfeel with no carbonation. There’s also a phenomenon that I’ll describe as “lip feel.” It’s happens to me usually with big, sweet barrel aged stouts and big Belgian Dark Strong Ales. It’s the sticky sweetness on the lips. It’ll still be there in the morning after closing the night with a beer like this reminding you of the beastly beer you had the night before.

Overall: I’m really enjoying this beer. It’s very sweet, but that perfectly hits the spot on a cold winter day, with snow on the ground, while watching the New York Football Giants. For 13.9% I find it very drinkable. It’s neither too boozy nor too sweet. If the idea of a wood forward, thick and sweet stout is unappealing then you may not like this beer. I suspect fans of the Belgian Strong Dark Ale style would also enjoy this beer. I’d love to try the base beer and other barrel variations of this beer.

Warning: You might feel like this after this beer!

36. papposilenus

papposilenus Poo-Bah (1,683) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Society

So sorry, I've been running around getting things ready for company so I didn't take the time to set the stage properly for my presentation. But it definitely wasn't oxidized.

As @cjgiant noted, it is, in fact, an imperial red IPA if, in fact, there really is such a thing and, apparently, it's supposed to look like that, not that anybody would know if it wasn't.

It was delicious like everything else Hill Farmstead brews.

37. HorseheadsHophead

Society

Okay, if it's an imperial red IPA, that makes much more sense. I just assumed it was a NEIPA, in which case, a cloudy brown-ish color would not be a welcome sight. Haha.

38. TheGent

Society Trader

I’m very much looking forward to your thoughts on the scotch version to see how that beer turned out. I haven’t had many if any others at all, but recently tasted a sample of Scotch Parabola. It was not for me. And I love Islay Scotch and Parabola. The beer smelled like a glass of Lagavulin and tasted the same. I could’ve drunk it as a substitute for scotch, but would not have enjoyed it as a glass of Parabola.

39. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (2,007) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

I made it from Bryan to Taylor, TX, to watch the Cowboys game with mom. She had hip surgery about three weeks ago and is doing really well.

Now that lunch is over, it's time for a New Brown Ale Sunday:
    [​IMG]
    Cigar City Brewing's Maduro Brown Ale ... 10/29/18 canned-on date printed on bottom of can

Many of you have had this one, but it's taken me some time to get to it. It's loaded full of wood notes, both in the nose and flavor but especially in the flavor. It's very dark wood, roasted and earthy and much like tobacco. There's also some sweeter chocolate notes in it, mainly dark chocolate but also some milk chocolate.

It's labelled here as an English brown ale, which is an anomaly of sorts, but if you're like me and think of English browns as the lighter bready-malt browns, then Maduro is American through and through. It's darker, earthier, more bitter and nothing like Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale. In fact, it reminds me a ton of Bell's Best Brown with the intensity dialed up a notch or two. That might be disrespecting Bell's version, because I like it a ton, but this Maduro seems more of everything.

The review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/17981/47731/?ba=Premo88#review
    4.07 (+3.6% rDev)

Hope your Sundays are going well!

Cheers!

40. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Zealot (564) Mar 29, 2010 American Samoa
    Trader

[​IMG]
    Can't tell this is 11% at all. I didn't think I was going to enjoy it based on my first sip then it warmed up. Chili flavor is very subtle otherwise it's just a very easy drinking high abv stout. I want another immediately but, just wish it didn't have alcohol in it. Apparently they used vanilla extract. Must be what smoothed it out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.