New Beer Sunday (Week 717)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cjgiant, Nov 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe1510

joe1510 Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2006 Illinois

By the time @AyatollahGold gets to bottle number four he may not remember the last three...

2. AyatollahGold

AyatollahGold Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2016 Indiana

Hah. Definitely not going to do all 4 in a day! If I had friends who enjoyed beer like me, maybe! But I just thought it would be fun to do for today since I had the four and have not had any of them.

3. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,161) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Thanks for the review and the introduction to a style Ive never heard of. Recently had the Live Oak Hefe and was stellar- beer courtesy of BIF #8.

4. Samlover55

Samlover55 Crusader (798) Oct 8, 2015 New York
    Trader

Good afternoon NBS!
    The reason why I like this thread so much, is that I feel it's more about your beer experience, as opposed to the beer you are drinking.
    On that note here is my review of Sam Adams Coffee Pale Ale which I deemed a crossover brew.
    [​IMG]
    12oz bottle into perfect pint
    Bb 1/2019
    Pours a clear light brown with an off-white head
    Predominant coffee, cream, floral hoppy notes
    Coffee with caramel cream, followed by floral pine notes
    Light bodied, easy drinking
    Overall a unique crossover beer that is quite quaffable.
    Cheers

5. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,350) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Gotta be honest, straight up “Beers of Fame” tick right here - Trappistes Rochefort 10

[​IMG]

4.29/5 rDev -4.7%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Huge foamy light tan head over a dark brown beer that seems like it wants to be burgundy around the edges, nearest light. Smell starts out with fig, morphs into a corn kinda thing with a little heat. Taste is more raisin than fig with a massive bread quality with lingering heat. This is an extremely lively beer, leaving a little alcohol bitterness behind.

6. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,764) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I'm kind of surprised that brewers are reaching for Islay barrels, it's most definately a polarizing scotch. I love it's seaweed, salt and smoke, but most would prefer a lighter whiskey. I'd think a highland barrel would hold more promise across the board. Something like Macallen or Dalwhinnie, more subtle scotches.

7. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,515) Mar 7, 2013 Canada (QC)
    Society Trader

Hello Sunday beer folks!
    I am having a relaxed Sunday (almost too relaxed) here in Montreal today. It's a sunny day and there's finally some snow on the ground. My whole world was turned upside down last weekend to find out that some people here aren't actually drinking and reviewing the beers they post here on Sunday, on Sunday. Well, anyway, I am and I plan to keep it that way.
    This week I feel a little like what I imagine a proud father feels like (if his kid was actually a beer). Brasserie Dunham is one of my favorite Quebec breweries and they have put out a rotating line of single hop IPAs over the past few years. These beers have been consistently between decent and very good in my book and at the bare minimum have given me a great opportunity to familiarize myself with new hops. They started as single hop then moved to dual hops (this improved them) and now they have finally started canning. I am very happy for them and happy to entry this one. I also think that they've done a great job on the label.

This one is brewed with Galaxy and Ella. And I got to add it to the database.:grin:
    [​IMG]
    It pours ugly enough to make me get why some complain about how NEIPAs look. That is, it doesn't look like your standard hazebomb. It might even be a touch oxidized (although I don't get that in the smell or flavor). The smell is nice. Lots of tropical fruits and cantaloupe. The flavor is a thin bite of bitterness that doesn't duo much more. It is fairly drinkable and by b No means bad. However, I feel like the look is awful compared with other versions of this beer that I've had. And the flavor doesn't really pop. Either way, a nice beer to drink while watching football and I'm thrilled to see this beer show up in cans.

Here is my review if you're curious.

Santé!

8. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,869) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

New beer #6. Picked these up at Sixpoint yesterday, along with the glass.

Peanut Butter Bean - Sixpoint
    Imperial Porter - 8.2% abv
    Canned 11/16/18 (2 days ago)
    Score: 4.23 (0% rDev - first review)

[​IMG]

Review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10607/382095/?ba=CanConPhilly#review

Synospis:
    Hyper-focused on peanut butter taste, which I’m all about. Almost tastes like a liquified Reeses PB cup. Wish the body was a bit heftier, but otherwise this is a tasty treat.

VABA, Roguer, woodychandler and 37 others like this.
  9. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,243) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

More new local beer for me today. After this, I'll probably move onto distro stuff.

[​IMG]

Crane's Trill.

Pours a very dark burgundy-brown with a finger of khaki foam that doesn't retain long. Aroma is a blast of a mash-up of notes, hitting yeast esters, toasty, nutty, bready malts, clove, plum, and a sharp lactic bite. Char and a little heat seep through at the finale. Flavor profile is plum and brandy, and then fades into toasty, nutty, bready malts with a big yeast ester quality. The base quadruple is discernible, but is mashed and mangled by brandy, a lactic sour bite, and a touch of heat. Very complex. Mouth feel is medium-thick, but nearly still as far as effervescence goes. Overall, a big, complex beer hitting in at 10.2% ABV. Unique, and quite enjoyable. The sweetness helps balance out the heat, creating an easy to sip, complexity. Maybe a little too easy.

Score: 4 | 4.25 | 4.25 | 4 | 4.5 | BA Score: 4.26 | rDev: N/A (first review/rating)

Personal notes:
    Crane is the king of sour ales in Kansas City, although there are some new players challenging them. Crane's creation here is top notch, and reaffirms their spot at the top. For now. Only wish I had bought more.

VABA, TheDoctor, Roguer and 35 others like this.
  10. nc41

Society Trader

Doesn't sound appetizing at all, I don't like beers that finish badly, it's tough when the last word doesn't quite make it. Mucous beer? I've been spitting a ton for the last month I'll pass on that.

11. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (6,837) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Another fine Buckeye State offering: Phoenix Brewing Company's 'Undertaker'...

Robust flavor coupled with depth and complexity exemplify this double IPA offering from my home town of Mansfield, Ohio. The beer's appearance has a dark, reddish-brown body that carries a thick, heavy head which leaves sheets and strings of lacing down the glass. The aroma comes across with a spicy, nutty quality. The flavors are deep and rich, loaded with roasted grains, spicy rye elements, and suggestions of brown sugar and molasses with subtle elements of bitterness and alcohol. The body is rich and decadent with a velvety prickliness on the palate. An awesomely rich and complex beer...

VABA, Roguer, woodychandler and 29 others like this.
  12. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,241) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

I don't think it's a diss to Bell's to praise Maduro. I love Bell's Best Brown Ale and will never stop buying it every fall, but Maduro is fantastic and one of the best brown ales I've ever had.

Premo88, Roguer, kemoarps and 8 others like this.
  13. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (2,866) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Beer share? I got a can in a beer trade!

Le Jus from Alarmist

4.48/5 rDev +3.9%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Hazy yellow liquid, visible carbonation, thick, frothy , creamy, off white foam crown, sticky lacings

aroma is tropical fruit, mango, pineapple, guava, orange citrus

taste follows the aroma, tropical fruit hops

medium sudsing, hop taste lingers, no bite

Good beer

Premo88, VABA, Roguer and 24 others like this.
  14. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,333) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

Good afternoon NBS BAs! Still working off my haul from last weeks Maine trip.
    Here we have Mason's Hipster Apocalypse. The can shows a hipster caricature with a "Stephen King Rules" tee on. Reading on I got a chuckle that Mason's Brewer is located in.. wait for it... Brewer, Maine. I know, its not that funny and they are probably sick of it, but it hit me just right today.
    [​IMG]

3.63/5 rDev -6.2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from an undated 16oz. can to a Nonic.
    Hazy yellow/gold body, medium plus frothy head that takes about 8 minutes but never goes to less than 1mm full coverage.
    Grapefruit aroma turns to grapefruit rind taste. Not sure that's a good thing. Finish is lip puckering.
    Mouthfeel is kind of light.
    I sound harsh above, but I would definitely drink this (depending on other choices).
    [​IMG]

VABA, Roguer, LeRose and 29 others like this.
  15. Tucquan

Tucquan Poo-Bah (3,160) Oct 11, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Lawson's Triple Sunshine IPA

Many pardons, but I had this yesterday instead of today. My son-in-law procured a fresh can for me. He thought about waiting until Christmas to give it to me, but in the spirit of freshness, he gave it to me right away. In that same spirit; I drank it right away. It was canned on 2018-10-18.

Here's what I thought about it.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A - Beautiful hazy-but-not-murky orange with a 3/4-finger white head and mild lace.

S - Very ripe pineapple, guava, biscuit, gooey hop buds, orange candy, herbal spice.

T - Wow. What a bastion of layered flavors. There's tropical sweetness of orange candy, pineapple, grapefruit flesh and lychee followed quickly by a swirling, changing medley of hop flavors from dank to herbal spice to pepper. The 10.3% alcohol is barely noticeable. A hint of light/nutty malt peaks through briefly and finally morphs to a lovely pine bitterness.

M - Full body and light-medium carbonation. Thick, resinous, prickly, clinging. Almost the consistency of the liquid in canned peaches! Love it.

O - Wonderful stuff. Makes me want to get in the car and drive 8 hours to Vermont; or take the train. One of these days!

I rated Triple Sunshine 7th (4.64) out of my 2,162 reviews. It didn't quite beat out Lawson's Double Sunshine, which is 2nd (4.74) in my ratings. It's been awhile since I've had Double Sunshine though so I'll be curious to try it again. Who knows? Maybe there'll be a fresh can in my Christmas stocking.

#95 Tucquan, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    VABA, Harrison8, Roguer and 27 others like this.
  16. ichorNet

ichorNet Poo-Bah (1,985) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society

Alright, second and final new beer for this thread... a new strong dark beer by Finback in collaboration with Exhibit 'A' Brewing.

[​IMG]

XYZ Corp is a Baltic porter brewed with marshmallow and cacao nibs, clocking in at a rather intense 9.6%. An interesting idea for a beer, for sure. I haven't had many Baltic porters with adjunct ingredients, never mind one with adjuncts typically reserved for American stouts and porters (which are ales, not lagers like this beer, mind you!). I have typically enjoyed Finback's stouts, but Exhibit 'A' is overall very hit-or-miss for me. Luckily, they are pretty dang good at darker beer styles and the more unusual stuff they attempt, though, so I'm looking forward to this one.

The pour is pretty deep and intense, with a pretty solid dark-brown colored beer topped with a light mocha head that can be pretty easily re-roused. When I do so, it builds up with a much darker color for a bit before settling back down... cool stuff. Pretty decent lace, too, and around the edges of the surface I can see a hint of clarity to this brew. A pretty nice looking Baltic porter, for sure!

I'd expected the marshmallow here to be rather minimal... my first sniff leads me to believe I'm probably right about that expectation, though if I really pay attention as it warms up I do get a distinct whiff of marshmallow in the form of marshmallow creme (Fluff, in other words). Pretty cool! I get a solid roast profile and some heady dark chocolate elements along with some light ethanol and candied dark fruit. Strong caramelized/brown sugar notes are thrown out here, too.

On the tongue, this is dangerously drinkable with a light-ish medium body for the style and a nice combination of the traditional Baltic porter fruitiness with nearly-acrid malts and the solid inclusion of cacao nibs. Marshmallow again falls into the background to my tastebuds. A bit spicy in the finish with a suggestion of ethanol. Doesn't feel close to 10%, but it is a tiny bit warming after each sip. Wish the marshmallow was pushed more, but it could easily become overbearing so I understand why they wouldn't want to go nuts with it. Pretty solid stuff, but I likely wouldn't return to it.

VABA, Roguer, woodychandler and 31 others like this.
  17. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,504) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Another Good Afternoon, BA and NBS

Maine Beer Company - Post Ride Snack

This is the first for me of what I would consider “new” beers from MBC. Outside of their core line up, I’ve not had any beers over the past few years. So I figured I’d grab a bottle and see how they do a session IPA.

Appearance: Pours a translucent, slightly hazy, golden straw color. Barely noticeable carbonation. A bone white head that settles to a quarter finger and leaves strands of lacings across the edge of my glass.

Smell: A bright combination of grassy, tropical fruit, citrus fruit and crisp, grainy, crackery malt. Hint of dankness and pine.

Taste: This beer has the same clean and crisp flavor profile I expect from MBC. This beer tastes the way fresh cut grass smells. Lemon rind and sweeter orange citrus notes. Some dry and grapefruit pithy bitterness with some pine.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated. Prickly. Dry finish.

Overall: This beer embodies the clean and crisp profile, and the high quality Ive come to expect from Maine Beer pale ales. Nicely done.

4.07/5 rDev -0.7%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

VABA, Roguer, woodychandler and 30 others like this.
  18. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,577) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Sierra Nevada Single Hop Mosaic Double IPA

This one is delivering as expected. It shares a similar appearance as the others. Being the biggest of the bunch, it clearly has the biggest malt heft. This gives it a nice decadent and warming quality. Hop wise, it also feels the most layered as opposed to having singular clarity. There’s a lime quality, a slight floral aspect, and a very pleasant bitterness.

Just going with first impressions (and having these four at various parts of the day), my favorite to least favorite was the IPL, DIPA, IPA, session IPA. Fortunately, I have two more of each to get further impressions. The best thing across this set was the uniform soft carbonation with great heads. Sierra really knows what they’re doing in this regard.

As a “single hop” set, this group was very satisfying but also a bit of a poorly executed concept… but that’s only when I impose my own desires on it instead of the brewer’s intentions. The set is a nice collection of four beers that were a pleasure to drink... and man were they drinkable. Mission accomplished in that regard. However, it would be even nicer to come away from it feeling like the main variables between the four beers were the hops. The different stylistic approaches (IPL, DIPA, IPA, session IPA) proved to create a far bigger distinction from one beer to the next rather than the hops. This felt more like an exercise in process, malt and strength difference instead of hop difference.

VABA, Harrison8, Roguer and 32 others like this.
  19. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (3,427) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Wander The American Scream Raspberry IPA

Afternoon, BAs. I just read @beertunes tell someone else to drink this beer fresh on the NBS BIF thread. That was my cue to crack it open.

It pours a hazed, pale, berry-colored Kool Aid color with two-and-a-half fingers of airy raspberry-tinted head that leave plenty of soapy lacing.

Clear raspberry shows up front in the nose, with hints of pine and maybe even lavender behind.

Raspberry is the dominate flavor up front in the taste as well. Imagine that? There’s also a hint of toasted malt and a light earthy hop bitterness, with a ghost of citrus, too. There’s a certain crispness and lager-like floral quality to it.

It’s light to medium bodied with a great soft fizz in the carbonation.

This is very easy-drinking. The flavors in this are a bit on the thin side, which is what lets the fruit shine, while still maintaining a more-traditional “beer” character. It was canned on 10/17/18.

Thanks, Terry, for sharing this one. It’s no Raspberry Mille, but still fun to drink. :beers:

VABA, Roguer, woodychandler and 31 others like this.
  20. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (2,205) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Czig meister tiramisu porter
    ...murky cola ruby brown
    ...slightly thin,little oily, very low,almost nonexistatant carbonation
    ..aro.a is vanilla,mocha, milk chocolate, sugary
    ..taste is almost identical to aroma with a heavy cream taste also
    ...a weak body was a turn off ,delivered on taste but somehow just seemed a little weak. Good novelty beer but glad u picked up just a single [​IMG]

Roguer, VABA, woodychandler and 30 others like this.
  21. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,179) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Long time, no see NBS! It's been a while. I've been playing a bit too much Red Dead Redemption 2 lately so I decided to take a bit of a "break" and write up a quick review for this fantastic pastry stout that I just picked up over the weekend!

Medovik by Kane Brewing Company (Ocean Township, NJ) and Melovino Meadery (Vauxhall, NJ) is a "Russian Honey Cake Inspired Imperial Stout", which is brewed with honey, graham cracker & lactose conditioned on cinnamon and vanilla beans.

Wow, that's a mouthful! These kind of beers tend to be just that though. Anyway, onto the review:

[​IMG]

========

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tulip glass. Bottle purchased directly from the brewery in Ocean Township, NJ.

A: pours a jet black color, completely opaque with a khaki-colored head, which slowly settles into a thin lacing around the glass. 4/5

S: roasted malts, a bit of sugary graham crackers and vanilla. subtle cinnamon and alcohol. 4.25/5

T: quite sweet from start to finish, but that is to be expected for an imperial stout that is evoking the flavors of medovik (russian honey cake). honey sweetness hits first, balanced out by some roasted malt bitterness, which adds a bit of coffee/chocolate/mocha character. Finishes with some vanilla bean and lactose sweetness. Cinnamon is more of an aftertaste, adding just a hint of spiciness to round it all out. a delightful beer. 4.5/5

M: full mouthfeel, somehow thinner than i was expecting for a 9% imperial stout but that is a good thing. good mouthfeel for the strength and sweetness of the beer. 4.25/5

O: this is a really decadent imperial stout. this would go great after dinner with dessert or as a brunch beer. highly recommended. 4.5/5

========

I'm debating doing another review or two if RDR2 does not come 'a callin' again. We'll see. If not, cheers everyone!!

Roguer, VABA, LeRose and 32 others like this.
  22. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Savant (996) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Trader

Moving right along here NBS players.

My second and final new beer today is Juice Bomb, a northeastern ipa, from Sloop brewing co. It's also my first beer from this brewery. The brew checks in at 6.5% abv, a 10/16/18, canning date, and no indication of the hop profile.

A murky pour with an off-yellow/vanilla color to it. The nose is full of tropical fruits. The drinking hits hop forward upfront with all those citrus fruit notes carrying right over from the nose. A juice and creamy flow that finishes ever so subtle on the bitter. Big flavor notes of lemon, orange, lime, melon, and grapefruit. The mouth feel is moderate and yes juicy but also with a nice sort of creamy feel to it too. This is really easy to drink and packed with flavor.

Overall, a pretty nice beer. Very much in the nesipa category but it really delivers for that style. I'm again in the low 4's here players.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Roguer, VABA, woodychandler and 34 others like this.
  23. nc41

Society Trader

Cool glass.

24. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,973) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I agree with you here!

My two favorite craft brewed Hefeweizens are the ones from Live Oak and Straubs.

Cheers!

25. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,885) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Good afternoon, New Beer Sunday crew! As you might be able to guess by my very late start today, I had a ...... busy night of drinking. :flushed: But it's New Beer Sunday, damnit, so I'm going to get right back on that horse! :stuck_out_tongue:

This entry is Decadent's Tropical Smoothie, an all Citra double dry hopped NE IPA, with vanilla, pineapple, peach, mango, and strawberry added.

[​IMG]

I didn't realize it when I bought this, but this can is four months old! Whoops! Still: while there's no way it's going to be exactly the same as fresh, it's not unreasonable to expect that it should hold up well enough for a review.

And sure enough, it does.

There's really no hint of staleness, even on the nose where it would be most likely. The added fruit surely help in that regard. The fruit expression isn't any stronger or obvious than you can get from normal modern hops, although it's a little more obvious on the palate - in particular, the sweetness comes through in a way that isn't really expressed through the aroma.

Up front, the vanilla and white-bread-like flavor of the malt provides a nice canvas for leafy herbal hop tones. The fruit really comes in on the back half, first pineapple, then strawberry.

Overall this is a really good beer, and one I'd like to try fresh.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/46611/363464/?ba=Roguer#review
    4.06 / +0.0%

Cheers!

VABA, woodychandler, LeRose and 34 others like this.
  26. Harrison8

Society Trader

I have two 12oz cans of Happoshu that I'm not going to drink.

27. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,626) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Thank you to @thebeers for this very tasty Trillium brew, Butler Flats Lighthouse DIPA!

4.38/5 rDev +1.4%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Thank you thebeers for this
    16 oz can, dated 10/1/18, poured into a tulip

A- A hazy golden orange with a two finger white head

S- Tropical fruits, some mango, dank, citrus.

T- Mango, melons, tropical fruits, citrus, piney, some resin, a little dank.

M- Smooth, medium body, slightly creamy.

O- A very nice and easy to drink DIPA. Another great IPA from Trillium.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!

Roguer, VABA, woodychandler and 31 others like this.
  28. Harrison8

Society Trader

Hell yeah! I love single hop beers!

Dammit.

Sounds good though. Thanks for your notes. Aside from a few disappointing beers when Decadent first came to Missouri, I've been pretty impressed with their stuff.

29. joe1510

joe1510 Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2006 Illinois

New Porter Sunday

I've had this beer a couple times in the past with a less than clear mindset. This, right now, is the first time I sat down with it, and my thoughts.

Scary, my thoughts.

Porters are up there in my favorite styles. I like them all but prefer the big, chewier ones. This guy fits the bill.

Transient - Henry

[​IMG]

Henry is a dapper looking dandy. It's as dark as you'll get out of a porter, nearly black, and sucking up the light. The pour produces a cascade effect with the mocha tinted head. The foam is dense, settling to a thick one finger cap of pure silk. It leaves behind chunky sheet lacing on the way down. A beer doesn't get a whole lot better looking than this guy. (4.5)

The nose is as rich and decadent as the looks. There's a solid dose of roast off the bat and when combined with the bittersweet chocolate that's present provides a nice bitterness. Macerated blackberries brings a touch of sweet and fruit while a whisper of strong, black coffee runs the edges. A sturdy pine driven hoppiness cleans it all up. This is a stout porter. It brings about the depth. This falls in line with the Founder's porters of the world as opposed to the Eddy Fitz's. Big and bold. (4.25)

Moderate roast and that bittersweet chocolate get things moving again while an abundance of pine wraps itself around the entirety. Those macerated blackberries add a flash of sweetness in the middle that's quickly overtaken by the assertive roast and pine bitterness. Some strong coffee here, some char there. A touch of lime peel adds some brightness, from the hop profile. This is a punch in the mouth of a porter. (4.25)

The body is as plush and luxurious as you would expect. It's a couple notches about moderate in weight with a soft, slow moving carbonation that keeps this beer lingering. The roast and pine bitterness grows with each drink and eventually becomes a little taxing toward the end of 16 ounces. Even though that bitterness builds it's still a fairly easy beer to put away. (4)

Henry is a big, bold, badass porter. It shows off a ton of depth. It's nuanced like a sledgehammer. It's good to see this beer canned and will be in my fridge from time to time as it's released. (4.25)

4.24/5 rDev +2.4%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Roguer, VABA, LeRose and 29 others like this.
  30. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,869) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

New beer #7. @JBowenGeorgia I think you gave this to me during your trip? I hope so, since I don’t remember buying this...

D2H3 Hallertau Blanc - Tired Hands
    APA - 5% abv
    Canned 10/24/18 (25 days ago)
    Score: 4 (-2.2% rDev)

[​IMG]

Review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28383/379215/?ba=CanConPhilly#review

Synopsis:
    Not the best Tired Hands single hop, but not the worst either. Mosaic and Galaxy blow this away. I get a lot of vegetal flavors from Hallertau, so not my favorite. But the veggies are mellow, and there’s still enough citrus here to make this worthwhile.

Roguer, VABA, woodychandler and 34 others like this.
  31. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (3,427) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Other Half All Citra Everything

Next new beer this Sunday comes courtesy of the generous @CanConPhilly.

It pours a cloudy pale yellow with two-and-a-half fingers of near-white head that seems airy from the side of the glass, but dense and foamy from the top. There’s lots of sloppy, soapy lacing.

Orange flesh, grapefruit and weedy dankness, with some green onion and cat piss, stand out in the aroma. I like it!

Orange citrus shows up front in the taste, again with some weedy, jungley, oniony qualities to it, which prevent it from seeming too sweet — although a little orange juice sweetness does build in the aftertaste.

It has a medium-bodied, slick mouthfeel with modest carbonation.

Another very solid NEIPA from Other Half. Thanks, Matt. :beers:

Roguer, VABA, LeRose and 34 others like this.
  32. Jimmy_Kneecaps

Jimmy_Kneecaps Aspirant (269) Sep 19, 2017 Tennessee
    Trader

My next, and probably last, new beer for this Sunday is Luscious from the Alchemist. I’m pretty sure this beer made its way to me from @FlintB in the ninja stout box he destroyed my porch with in the rookies BIF.

The beer pours a beautiful slick black color with a billowing head of mocha colored foam which hangs around forever. The aroma is smoke, chocolate, burnt sugar, toasty malts, and some hop bitterness. Taste is an elegant mix of all the flavors in the nose, finishing with just a slight hop bitterness, kind of like a yeti, which yields to a sweet finish of chocolate and roasty malts. So after it warms the taste starts with bitter dark chocolate then melds to burnt, smoky sugars, then hops, then sweet chocolate and roasty malts. Mouthfeel is full, sick, teetering on the edge of chewy. Overall this is great. I’m being spoiled with my beer choices today. Thanks Brian!

33. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,016) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

New BA Old Ale Sunday (Week 717)
    Greetings fellow NBSers from on the ridge in Mid Hud Val, NY. Well, my longggg driveway is clear. Def. miss having the help of my two boys, who now are men, especially for a big dump of wet snow. Funny it started as dry and fluffy, but as it started really dumping it got warm enough to drop ice and rain mixed in with it. Oh, joy. I would rather shovel four feet of fluffy snow than one foot of wet snow.

Ready for a beer, and this is one that comes highly recommended by beer drinkers I trust more than any others, you all. It has warmed a bit as I wrote this, which is good as it was definitely too cold to give a good show of aroma, but now its bouquet is sneaking from the glass and finding my nose.
    [​IMG]
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/77260/?ba=cavedave#review

Synopsis: Very well done beer. If you are expecting a barrel bomb, a maple bomb, or a booze bomb you will be disappointed. If you are looking for a complex and delicious old ale with barrel character, thick body, light hints of maple, and an amazing drinkability, this is your jam.

Hope you also have a Great American Beer in your glass. Cheers!

Roguer, VABA, LeRose and 35 others like this.
  34. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,662) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Happy Sunday, New Beer Samplers and commentators. Thanksgiving Week is one of my favorite times of the year and it's exciting to spend the first holiday in our new "downsized" house. Our son arrived from North Carolina this afternoon bearing some home brewed coffee porter that we'll sample later this week. Our daughter will arrive on Wednesday. We'll have company for dinner on Thanksgiving and our traditional Black Friday bottle share to which I always look forward. The kids and I will probably hit a local brewery or two before they return to NC.

Today, I'm drinking Lawson's Hopzilla, a DIPA I received from @jhavs in a ninja box associated with the NBS BIF. All the Lawson's IPAs have been outstanding and Hopzilla is no exception. It's danker than the others with big, bold, tropical fruit flavors and a solid sweet malt base. It's fresh and really, really good. Thanks, Jon! Here's my full review:

4.35/5 rDev +0.7%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I received a can from the generous @jhavs. Canned on 10/16/2018 and poured into a Spiegelau IPA glass. It pours a slightly cloudy, pretty honey-amber color with two full fingers of long-lasting fluffy, bright white head and copious lacing. It's a very attractive pour. On the nose there is sweet malt, mango, orange, lemon, resinous pine, and light floral hops. It's very dank and opens with a solid base of sweet bready malt, along with sweet tropical fruit and citrus: mango, orange, and lemon. The sweetness is balanced by dank onion and a blast of bitter, fairly biting, Summit, Amarillo, Centennial, and Cascadian hops. The tastes blend and balance each other very nicely. This ale has a rich, viscous, creamy mouth feel with moderate carbonation, and the 8.7% ABV gives it nice substance. Overall, this is a tremendous DIPA with big, bold flavors and a superb mouth feel. It's not quite as bitter as its name implies but it's super flavorful and enjoyable to drink.

I hope you're all enjoying your new beer(s) today as much as I am. As always, the reviews are a highlight of my week. Cheers, all!

Roguer, VABA, LeRose and 36 others like this.
  35. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (5,733) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] Poured into a 13 oz Teku glass canned on 11/08/18. Pours a very attractive hazy yellow, with a finger and a half of white head, that leaves tiny little bubbles of lace as it slowly settles.4.25

Smell is papaya, guava, passionfruit, pineapple, and a little grapefruit rind. 4

Taste follows tropical front to back, a little bitterness in the back end but papaya and guava are most dominant. 4

Mouthfeel is bigger than medium, soft on the palate, not dry but a tad sticky, and goes down easy at 8.2%. 4.25

Overall this is excellent, but Foam is so good that I actually was expecting more. 4

36. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,887) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Kent Falls does one called Anachronism, although they may take a bit of liberties by crossing over into the farmhouse realm as well. I reviewed it on New Beer Sunday (Week 682) and loved it.

37. JBowenGeorgia

JBowenGeorgia Crusader (735) Sep 1, 2016 Georgia
    Trader

I think either yourself or @thisischuck01 bought the four pack. I traded the Into the Big Wide Canyon With Jerry for the can I brought back with whomever bought them.

38. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,858) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Que the Beatles (paraphrasing), “He’s leaving home, after living at home, for 22 years...he’s leaving home...bye, bye.” Jr. Z is moving out the end of this month to live with some grad school buddies. He and I spent this morning unloading my U-Haul trailer into storage, then taking a load of furniture to his new house...bittersweet...beer me. :sunglasses:

Melvin IPA, Melvin Brewing, Alpine WY. I see my BA bar mates from west of the Mississippi post this beer all the time, and now it has made distro to FL and I did not hesitate to grab a six pack.

Pours a deep gold, clear liquid with a ton of suspended particles; huge fluffy off white foam with an admittedly aggressive pour leaves a long lasting cap, and heavy lacing. 4.5

Pine cones, grapefruit and lemongrass nose. 4.0

Bitter pine, grapefruit, and lemongrass hops; semi sweet malt base; earthy hop flavors in the finish. 4.25

Medium lite body, moderate carbonation; lite sticky feel. 4.25

Overall, a very tasty IPA (canned 10/15/18); there is a dry earthy hop linger; the malt sweetness balanced the hop bitterness well and I want to drink more as I like the clean, easy body/light sticky feel. 4.25

I will gladly buy/imbibe more as a good counterpoint to my citrusy Jai Alai addiction. Both are 7.5% and fit well in my wheelhouse of balcony beer consumption. Cheers friends!

Roguer, VABA, LeRose and 28 others like this.
  39. Psilo

Psilo Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2017 California

Hey, NBS, happy Sunday. Hope my fellow Americans have a nice holiday this week. I'm excited today to be trying something new in my favorite style.

[​IMG]

STS Pils, brewed by Russian River. Bottled 10/21, 5.35%.

Typical pour produces an overabundant head of frothy white foam. I have to wait several minutes for it to die down enough to fit the remainder of the bottle into the glass. Bright gold in color, leaves average lacing.

Smells of fresh grassy hay. Taste follows along the same lines, with strong Nobel hop spice and a white toasty bread backbone. The flavor is overall quite clean, with a slightly heavier yeastiness than most pils. Refreshing, and it pairs well with food.

It's a touch on the watery side, and the high carbonation dies out before I'm done with the glass. Should I ever have it again, I'll pour more carefully.

Overall, a decent pils, but overly expensive for what it is.

Cheers!

Roguer, VABA, LeRose and 31 others like this.
  40. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,161) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Good afternoon. Giants won and I have a ridiculous schedule next week. Work everyday including 8am to close on Thanksgiving and another double on Saturday. Im not happy about it.
    Agree on the group tasting- that would be cool.
    Had the opportunity to get my hands on some Beer'd- pretty happy about that.
    First off:
    One Thing Led to Another DDH IPA with Citra, Mosaic and yes! Idaho7.
    Pours a beautiful golden hue with a nice foam cap that winds down and leaves some decent lacing. Clarity is really nice. A beautiful looking brew.
    Aroma is awesome! Lots of dank with pineapple, papaya, tangerine, peach, grapefruit, mary jane floral notes, grassiness and pine.
    Big mouth filling flavor of tropicals, lots of fresh cut orange, bitter grapefruit and pine resin rounded out by a soft malt base. This is really good.
    Feel is pleasantly crisp and clean with a medium to light drinking body. The carbonation is snappy and consistent throughout and lets all these flavors sing across your tongue with no heaviness. No alcohol shows at all.
    My first brew from Beer'd and I am seriously digging this. This beer has the whole package- the clarity, aroma and taste make me want to drink this all day.....and it does go down quick for 7%. I have 3 more from Beer'd and I am excited to try them. The "anti-NEIPA". All the flavors and no haze. Love it. Idaho 7 is really on my radar as well.
    Will be making a trip to Stonington soon.[​IMG]

Roguer, VABA, LeRose and 33 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.