New Beer Sunday (Week 727)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cjgiant, Jan 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (3,016) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Me: Man, this album is really dope.
    Her: Meh, the production, concept, lyrics and replay value are like 7.5 - 8.0 out of 10.
    Me: Yeah, let's nominate it for a Grammy.

:rolling_eyes::rolling_eyes::rolling_eyes::rolling_eyes::rolling_eyes::rolling_eyes::rolling_eyes::rolling_eyes::rolling_eyes::rolling_eyes::rolling_eyes::rolling_eyes::rolling_eyes::rolling_eyes:

JBowenGeorgia and mikeinportc like this.
  2. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,539) May 5, 2010 Ohio
    Society Trader

Thanks @brutalfarce. Super fresh. This was fantastic. Great rocky head retention/soapy lacing. Aromas and flavors of huge tangerine, orange juice, red grapefruit, peach, pear, pineapple, apricot, passion fruit, papaya, red apple, mango, watermelon, guava, berries, citrus peel/zest, and light pepper/pine hops; with moderate wheat, cracker, white bread dough malts; and herbal, floral, grassy hop earthiness. Light pine, citrus peel/zest, herbal, floral, woody, grassy, spicy bitterness on the finish. Medium carbonation/body; creamy/bready/grainy malts, light sticky hops, and slight lingering resins/rinds in the mouthfeel. Lightly increasing lingering bitter dryness, no hop astringency. Super smooth, soft, refreshing 5.6%. Feels like Galaxy, Citra, Simcoe, El Dorado. Very juicy, vibrant, and lightly dank/earthy hops; with a great balanced wheat/oat/malt backbone. Mild residual sweetness from lingering resin dryness. Spot on NEAPA as expected. 4.25
    [​IMG]

Cheers

3. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,557) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

#2, an appropriately named localish winter warmer that is keeping me warm whilst I prepare to grill these .....

[​IMG]

..... on this .....

[​IMG]

..... on a pretty chilly Northern Indiana evening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A poundingly aggressive pour uncovers a dark brown beer with a minimal tan head and LOTS of carbonation. The nose is loads of toffee malts, stone fruit (pureed dates, anyone), and a subtle vanilla note.

The taste has the toffee notes, but the stars are the dates and the bourbon soaked vanilla beans. The dates provide a richness I’ve not found in many winter warmers and the vanilla is the perfect complement to the toffee flavors. This is REALLY well done, IMHO. Rated 4.31.

4. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Translated: The way to understand and appreciate a poem is simply to collect all the words in a pile. The arrangment and relationships aren't important.

5. TheIPAHunter

Society Trader

Are you really talking to me about poems? Do you know the resume?

6. drtth

No, you forgot to include it on your profile page.... :sunglasses:

7. jrc1093

jrc1093 Poo-Bah (1,837) Mar 18, 2018 Connecticut
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Figured I'd try my hand at NBS for once...I try enough new beers as it is. This is batch no. 1 of Copestone, an english-style barleywine brewed by Fox Farm, a favorite local brewery of mine that makes some great lower-ABV beers along with an outstanding NEIPA rotation. I've never managed to get to their yearly (both BA and non-BA) stout release, so I was pretty excited the get a hold of one of these bottles a few weeks after its release on the way to New Haven...

This pours a deep brown a shade away from black with a decent head of tan foam materializing for only a short while before reducing to a thick collar; an occasional smattering of thick, webby lacing is also left behind, which although sparse, is appealing. 4

Aroma starts with an extended punch of a boozy cognac/port combo, which when sifted through reveals notes of baked apples, brown sugar, caramel, prune, and earthy baking spices, and a sturdy oak backbone; lighter tones of rye and black bread, syrupy port wine grapes, and semi-tart cherries. 3.5

Taste definitely doesn’t betray the aroma; plenty of boozy cognac dense dominating alongside more subtle notes of port wine grapes, red apples, molasses, and cherry, with oaky cognac/port puncheons on the back end; alcohol dominant for the most part, hindering the bigger, diverse tones from really shining. 3.25

Mouthfeel shows a medium body with an inky, almost creamy, composition and an even carbonation going hand-in-hand with the body; this just glides, with an oaky and semi-sweet grit appearing as it finishes. For a bigger, boozy beer, this is about as good as it gets, as it reveals itself in full, alcohol and all, while maintaining all the subtleties it takes to make this just the right amount of effortless on the palate. 4.75

This is a big beer with plenty of flavor to share were it not for the intrusive barrel notes. Between stone fruits, baked apples, the bountiful barrel presence, and of course the typical near-perfect Fox Farm mouthfeel, I can’t help but feel this should have been more than it was, and that maybe its youth did it in. At least after this bottle, I’ve got to think some age would really do this one wonders, and really allow the extent of the profile to shine through. Nonetheless, this was enjoyable at a basic level and even beyond, so I don't feel the need to be terribly harsh; I've just come to expect much more from this brewery. 3.5

Happy NBS, BAs!

8. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,879) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Thanks a lot! I'm hoping to give glimpses into my thought process as I go, so it's really nice to see people trying to play along, and at the very least I hope you can get a mental image of what the beer is like.

FFFjunkie, TheDoctor, MacMalt and 5 others like this.
  9. TheIPAHunter

Society Trader

Cheers, brother. I like your wit. You kept it playful, and respectful. Here's me being serious.

Yes, sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I just don't see that correlation in the beer world, or at least on BA, given the parameters. Cheers!

10. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,504) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Mission accomplished!

11. Bluecrow

Bluecrow Poo-Bah (1,804) Jul 16, 2012 New York
    Society

I have been grading exams days and nights, so no shopping for a brut IPA today...
    Schlafly's Tasmanian IPA presents cloudy and tangerine from the can, with a 1.5 cm foam cap. The aroma is very light, but the flavor is rich with orange and pineapple with moderate hop bitterness. The carbonation is pleasantly prickly. I really like this brew.
    [​IMG]

12. drtth

Fair enough. Some don't see it in other areas as well.

For example, I have a good friend, a physicist, who thinks this:

l(a

le
    af
    fa

ll

s)
    one
    l

iness

--e.e. cummings

Is nothing but nonsense because things don't add up.

13. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (3,961) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Society Trader

New arrival this week from Cousins Brewing, Waitsfield, VT.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/51302/395230/

[​IMG]

Brewed and canned by Cousins Brewing at Goodwater Brewery, Williston, VT.

Bottom of 16 ounce can reads:

"Good Water
    01/17/2019
    Great Beer"

Moderate pour yields a one inch white head over a murky golden body with some lacing. Really nice nose of orange and tropical fruit with something floral as well. Very nice! Taste of orange pith, a bit of pine resin and finishing way more bitter than the nose would imply. Yikes! Good feel, but overall, a beer that doesn't quite follow through. Cheers!

14. TheIPAHunter

Society Trader

Fragmentation, and use of the "one" symbolism. Genius. A personal favorite.

15. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,238) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

A new pilsner from the local-ish brewery Thin Man. Pills Mafia.
    A great showcase of what I am guessing is purely Saaz hops. Grassy, peppery, zesty and dank. Great Noble hop showcase. I wish it was just a touch drier and more bitter, but otherwise a great pilsner.

[​IMG]

16. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (5,688) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] Pours a very slick near pitch black with a 3 finger plus sticky light brown head, that leaves thin webs of lace behind.This is a very complex Imperial Stout. 4.25

Smell is Licorice, char, vanilla, dark chocolate, dates, Oaked bourbon, toffee, and leathery tobacco. 3.75

Taste follows so damn complex and that doesn’t always equal amazing. Tobacco, vanilla, oak, dark chocolate, dark fruit, and Oaked bourbon. 3.75

Mouthfeel is almost medium, plenty of life, a touch dry for sure, and at 11% goes down rather easy. 4

Overall this is a very nice stout and at 11% very east drinking.

17. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,549) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Hello New Beer Sunday!!!

And hello from the soon to be a deep frozen hell hole - AKA central, Minnesota.

Yuck, is all I can say about temps at -30 and wind chills around -60. Not going to be fun, and it's going to make work a dead zone till it warms up again, when ever that's going to be.

But enough about the frozen tundra, time for a well earned beer after a long work day.

I was planning, all day, dipping my way into my Junkyard Brewing crawler of Super Slurp Guava/Passion Fruit. It was calling my name like crazy. There was one problem: this bad boy was in it's way.

[​IMG]
    Night & Day Imperial Stout With Cold Brewed Coffee from Trillium Brewing Clocks in at 12.7%

@smanson56 kindly sent this to me in the NBS BIF 8.5.

This is my first ever Trillium Beer. I've seen their beers posted here, and just assumed they were a one trick pony with their NEIPAs.

So are they?

HELL NO!

This beer is astounding. It is very coffee flavored, and I like it, even though I'm not a coffee drinker. So thick. So rich. So tasty. So delicious.

I can't thank you enough @smanson56 for sending this to me and popping my Trillium cherry. This brewery is making the real deal here.

Review

4.47/5 rDev +2.1%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours jet black. There was actually a brown 1 finger head, but it didn't last long at all. Very thick pouring beer.
    The nose is really deep and rich with the coffee. I do get a hint of chocolate and a whiff of vanilla, but the coffee is the main star of the show.
    Taste - Started drinking at 50 F - up front a bit of vanilla and chocolate. Those flavors are mild. The backside the coffee really kicks in for me, and doesn't let go, but then the vanilla also kicks in again with a bit more vigor.
    Very thick beer. I wouldn't have had a clue it was almost 13%, because there's no burn or alcohol warming at all. Very smooth.
    Damn rich, and solid beer. Just rocks it out of the park .

I'm a lightweight, and I just can't see myself having anything else after this. I'll see you all next week, and throughout the week in WBAYDN.

Enjoy beer.

18. drtth

New Beer Sunday: English Stout

Evenin’ NBSers, with a recommended treat for folks who enjoy stouts aged on the wood used in whiskey barrels.

This eveing’s new beer is from Innis & Gunn and is called Kindred Spirits. There are two things to be noted about this beer. The first is that Innis & Gunn have used brown bottles for this beer. The other is that the beer has been aged on pieces of barrel staves from whiskey barrels used to age an Irish Whiskey, Tullamore D.E.W.

Innis & Gunn say they break up the used barrel staves and then re-toast the pieces before use. They then make up a mixture of stave pieces with different toast levels, depending on what they want from aging a particular beer.

As usual, my review, subject to revision until the beer is finished, can be found here:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10272/323594/?ba=drtth#review

The aromas/flavors include dark chocolate, coffee, caramel, vanilla, bit of earthy hops and a bit of wood. There’s also some light dark roast bitterness and some earthy character from the hops. On the whole an enjoyable beer worth trying. It has a good bit of complexity to the aroma/flavor profile so I’m glad I have some more bottles waiting in the basement.

With no football this evening I’m going back to Bach and picking up where I left off a few weeks ago. On the player this evening is the Bach Brandenburg Concerto No. 4.

Cheers, all!

19. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,798) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

It's not the votlage, its the fall off the ladder :stuck_out_tongue:

smanson56, FFFjunkie, Reef and 3 others like this.
  20. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,225) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Tonight's NBS contributions were a three part series of Missouri beers, with an unintentional focus on St. Louis. Here's the closing act for my contributions today. Something larger, which will be sipping on while I clean up my place.

[​IMG]

4 Hand's Volume 3.

Pours a translucent dark brown with two fingers of khaki foam. Head retention is good, with a layer of khaki foam lingering on top for a long while. Aroma is rye, cinnamon, cardamon, nutmeg, toffee, caramel, molasses, maple syrup, and barrel. It smells sweet, with the spices rounding and balancing it out. Very little hop shows through, but hits a spicy, sticky note. Malts are roasty, toasty, bready, and caramely. Flavor profile is toffee, caramel, molasses, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and rye. Beyond these sugary and spicy complexities is firm roasty, toasty, caramely malts with barrel character. Light sticky hop residue lightly counteracts the malts, although the flavor profile as a whole leans towards 'sweet'. Rye helps shore this up and keeps the sweetness from running away. Mouth feel is still, with a soft, lightly-bubbly texture, finishing lightly dry. It has a medium thickness. Overall, sugary, but still balanced. The rye cuts the sweetness just enough to keep it from lingering on the tongue, thus keeping this from being pulled from the 'beer' menu and placed on the 'dessert' menu.

Score: 4.25 | 4.25 | 4 | 3.75 | 4.25 | BA Score: 4.1 | rDev: -1.0%
    Pours a translucent dark brown with two fingers of khaki foam. Head retention is good, with a layer of khaki foam lingering on top for a long while. Aroma is rye, cinnamon, cardamon, nutmeg, toffee, caramel, molasses, maple syrup, and barrel. It smells sweet, with the spices rounding and balancing it out. Very little hop shows through, but hits a spicy, sticky note. Malts are roasty, toasty, bready, and caramely. Flavor profile is toffee, caramel, molasses, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and rye. Beyond these sugary and spicy complexities is firm roasty, toasty, caramely malts with barrel character. Light sticky hop residue lightly counteracts the malts, although the flavor profile as a whole leans towards 'sweet'. Rye helps shore this up and keeps the sweetness from running away. Mouth feel is still, with a soft, lightly-bubbly texture, finishing lightly dry. It has a medium thickness. Overall, sugary, but still balanced. The rye cuts the sweetness just enough to keep it from lingering on the tongue, thus keeping this from being pulled from the 'beer' menu and placed on the 'dessert' menu.

21. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,539) May 5, 2010 Ohio
    Society Trader

Review 7900. This was a pretty big want for a while. This was insane! Great head retention/spotty lacing for the ABV. Aromas and flavors of huge dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, caramel, brown sugar, molasses, toffee, fudge, brownie/cake batter, raisin, plum, prune, fig, cherry, date, sherry, toasted oak, roasted nuts, dark/brown bread crust, and biscuit; with lighter notes of vanilla, licorice, bourbon, coconut, smoke, char, leather, tobacco, herbal, grass, and yeast earthiness. Some increasing booze in the aromas as it warms, but not overwhelming. Light herbal, grassy, roast, charcoal bitterness; and bourbon/oak tannin spiciness on the finish. Light-medium carbonation and very full body; very creamy, silky, velvety, rich malts; light sticky hops, chalky char/roast, and oak tannins in the mouthfeel. Lightly increasing lingering hop/char/tannic dryness, no cloying/acrid/astringency. Dangerously smooth, minimal warming 16%, no barrel booze. The complexity of this beer is unreal. Insanely rich malts, with balanced fruity yeast, oak barrels, and solid earthy hops against sweetness. This states a blend of aged ales, so probably has the 4D with other stuff as well. Really mind blowing beverage. 4.5
    [​IMG]

Cheers, have a good night NBS.

22. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,798) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Toppling Goliath/Bottle Logic colllab Gamma, Gamma RAY! IPA. 4.18 overall

Pours a very hazed straw color with onr finger of eggshell colored head. Average lacing & head retention

S: Tropical notes, orange slices, a little passion fruit

T: Mango, oranges, a little passion fruit & plenty of bready dryness & pomelo up front. Orange juice, a touch of mango & dryness as this warms, a touch of leafy hops on the edge, plus some lime. Finishes a little juicy, powdery dry with plenty of bright citrus

MF: Medium body, medium carbonation, nice balance

Nice IPA, I expect nothing less from Toppling Goliath

23. bobv

Society Trader

Another recent acquisition.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/36100/334176/

[​IMG]

16 oz. can.
    Moderate to vigorous pour yields a one inch light pink head over a cherry red body with no lacing. Nose of cherry and graham cracker in that order. Taste follows nose nicely with a bit of sweetness of cherry and a graham cracker backbone. (My female chiropractor would approve!) Not much in the way of American Brown Ale attributes, but pretty dam tasty. After it warms, there is the slightest chocolate flavor coming forward, though. Good feel and overall, an interesting beer from Braintree, VT, that I like. Cheers!

#143 bobv, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  24. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,606) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

It has been very long and not so great of a week, finally feeling well enough to enjoy a beer. Decided to crack open some Untitled Art Coconut Milk Stout thanks to @Vidblain. It is a very nice beer, but I do feel they got the style wrong, it seem to fit the style profile of an American Brown Ale more than a Mille Stout. It’s been a little while since I’ve had Surly Bender, but it kind of reminds me of Bender with coconut.

4.03/5 rDev +2.3%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Thank you Vidblain for this
    16 oz can, dated 11/20/18, poured into a teku

A- Dark brown, alomst black, with a two finger little tan head

S- Toasted malts, some chocolate, coconut, touch of lactose

T- Toasted malts, some caramel malts, chocolate, coconut, hints of coffee.

M- Smooth, light to medium body.

O- Tasty and nicely done, but I feel this is more of a brown ale than a milk stout.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers NBS!!

25. RJLarse

RJLarse Poo-Bah (1,913) Dec 30, 2005 Washington
    Society

Greetings All from the Great Northwest where we have a cold gray day. Yesterday on the other hand was a glorious spring like day, sunny with temps in the upper 40's. Today not so much. Oh Mother Nature you are such a tease.

So on this cold gray day we have Time Twister Imperial stout from Silver City Brewing, while surveying the remnants of a wet snow storm earlier this week.
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/959/319110/

Still our weather is nothing compared to the upper Midwest, so ya'll stay warm and safe.

Until next time,

Happy Trails!
    [​IMG]

26. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (2,683) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good evening NBS
    Birthday party was a success and currently winding down with this one...
    [​IMG]
    The review:
    750 mL bottle poured into a Spiegelau stout glass at fridge temp 11% ABV. The beer pours dense very dark brown with mocha brown head. The head recedes to a quarter inch cap and leaves a generous lace. The aroma is faint with cocoa and vanilla. The bourbon is very subtle. The taste is roasted malt and dark chocolate warming up to vanilla, oak and bourbon in the finish. Bitterness is medium plus and earthy & roasty in nature. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, adequately carbonated and mostly dry in the finish. Overall, very good. This is definitely less sweet than most BA RIS, and I like it. No trace of the 11% ABV.

I only paid $10 for this one at Meijer. Worth that for sure, but not top shelf. I'm going to catch up on everyone's new beers now. Cheers all!

27. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,845) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Are you copying me on purpose today, good sir? :wink:

28. drtth

Moi? :astonished: :sunglasses:

#148 drtth, Jan 28, 2019
  29. JBowenGeorgia

JBowenGeorgia Crusader (735) Sep 1, 2016 Georgia
    Trader

30. bobv

Society Trader

Damn, how bright is this?!?
    :sunglasses:

[​IMG]

12 oz. can.
    Moderate to vigorous pour yields a one inch white head over an extremely bright body with some nice sticky lacing. Nose of tropical fruit, sweet citrus, and flowers. Taste mirrors nose nicely with a great, slightly sweet smoothness right to a slightly bitter finish. Nice feel and overall, a wonderful beer right here. Cheers to NBB!

31. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (11,825) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

32. GRPunk

GRPunk Meyvn (1,246) Apr 5, 2007 Michigan

New Fruit Beer Sunday

It's been way too long.

This weekend was full of youth sports, snow removal, and junk food.

Cold temps and forecast snow have already brought on a snow day for tomorrow. So, tonight's new beer is a bit of wishful thinking.

Bell's really hit the target here. Tart and fruity, without becoming cloyingly sweet or forgetting the "beer" quality. I wish I could upload the pic.

Flamingo Fruit Fight
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/365576/?ba=GRPunk#review

33. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,845) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

OK, OOOHHHHKAAAY, I get it: very little impulse control.

Buuuut at least I followed my formula of BA stout, Brett saison, BA stout, Brett saison, BA stout ....

[​IMG]

....Brett saison. Jackie O's Elle saison.

Classic in appearance. The nose suggests light tartness and heavy Brett - and the palate delivers.

It's a lightly tart, Brett-forward saison. Nothing spectacular, but excellent all around. No compliants. Full review below:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1432/290204/?ba=Roguer#review
    3.99 / -4.1%

Cheers and (DEFINITELY!) good night, BAs!

34. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Meyvn (1,228) Nov 4, 2015 New York

[​IMG]

As since stated by others, Total > sum of objectively(+/-)-rated parts. See my NBS for this episode. If I was just drinking it, not CANalyzing (:wink: @woodychandler) it, and you asked me for a numerical estimation , my response would be "4.25<x<4.50." If you make force me to break it down, among the individual factors , nothing but the look rates that high. #Teamwork, eh? Teams with no HoF-caliber individual players do win championships. *shrug*
    Yeah, if we can just find their beers not-old. If it sits in a warehouse for a month or more, and somebody tries them for the first time , it's unlikely they try any again.I've told them, as have others, and StBM. A : "*shrug*. Ran into one other thing that might sour retailers : I got one of their Foeder series, for my brother. The SKUs for their single big bottles are the same as their packs
    Do prepare yourself for how dry it is. Takes getting used to. :wink:

Beautiful photo. :sunglasses: I want to drink that beer. :slight_smile:

I had Nugget Nectar once before. I don't remember much other than disappointment and heat. That was before I paid much attention to dates (or if it had one), and didn't know it was seasonal . Given the temperature, it must have been at least 6 months old.

So... onto this year's batch, that just arrived Thursday.
    Wow, beautiful beer.
    Smell, and taste, are as suggested ,pine, grapefruit, and mango , with substantial pine/grapefruit bitterness.
    It starts mostly smooth and creamy, with fine, prickly carbonation building, and taking over by the finish.
    Overall , quite good , and I see why it's a thing every year.
    [​IMG]
    4.35/5 rDev +0.7%
    look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5
    Full review : https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/694/15881/?ba=mikeinportc#review

#154 mikeinportc, Jan 28, 2019
  35. Blackop555

Blackop555 Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2016 Michigan

Finally sitting down for a beer. We've had an insane number of calls past two days Chimney fires and medical. Right now it's a balmy -20 air temp and somehow were supposed to get 9 inches tonight. So I'm going to pick out something dark. I'll be back in a bit

VABA, y2kawakami, smanson56 and 4 others like this.
  36. Blackop555

Blackop555 Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2016 Michigan

[​IMG]

Thank you to mr. @y2kawakami for this delicious beer. Decided id drink a beer from a place i would rather be for the next week. Chocolate and coffee smell border line espresso and tastes just as good

37. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Meyvn (1,228) Nov 4, 2015 New York

Good one. Haven't been able to find it here in a long time.

Last NBS (probably) ..
    New Belgium Oak Spire
    It's essentially bourbon-flavored beer. Milder than bourbon though.
    It's not bad, but I'm pushing to get through the whole thing. It'd be good with a piece of cheesecake.
    [​IMG]
    3.86/5 rDev +0.3%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75
    Full review : https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/192/355616/?ba=mikeinportc#review

38. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Crusader (795) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Trader

Good evening fellow NBSers. Broke out something new to share with you all this evening. I’m not good with sours but enjoy then time to time. Reminiscent of Warheads and Crybabys addictively consumed as a child.

It looks brilliant. Nose is tart sweet and acidic. Flavor is more of the same with some funk and a tangy rasp on the back end. Very good sour and I’d have it again. 4.25 overall. I’m a sucker for peaches.

Checking out Polar on Netflix this evening. Pretty good so far. Definitely not the John Wick take on dog ownership. Cheers BA fam.

[​IMG]

She’s presently chillin at the foot of my chair
    [​IMG]

They love the new couch
    [​IMG]

#158 JayWhitson, Jan 28, 2019
  39. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,707) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Well Hello Late Night NBS.
    Man, t'seems like I'm always busy on Sunday, and I don't get my shit together for a new beer oil later on. (Although I did have a decent beer during Purdue's big win over Izzo's Spartans). That was a rollercoaster of a game.
    And thanks to our very own @akatz821 I'm popping another Mysteryyyy Beeeer. Number 9.
    His hint: "Salty NY heritage?
    Pours a deep dark brown. Like deep stained Spanish leather. Sandy head rises north of a finger, hovers, and then slowly retreats to a thin ring. Slight lacing.
    Smells of caramel malt, brown bread (rich brown bread), hint of fig, and an ever so understated spice note barely comes in.
    At this point, I'm confused. It's deep and dark like a Quad, but smells more like a porter, or brown ale.
    Flavor is more on the sweet side. definitely delivering on the caramel malts and roasted malts. Caramel, fig, bread pudding, subtle hazelnut note, smooth coffee roast slightly noticed, and a gentle wood note on the finish. Sometimes I think I catch a hint of black licorice (normally a turn off for me- but it's so in the background thought it just adds).
    Mouthfeel is medium. Sadly, carbonation goes AWOL about a minute or 2 into this.
    What is this?

LeRose, strohme2, Ozzylizard and 9 others like this.
  40. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,707) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

And the verdict is...
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/32893/375216/
    Grimm + Mekelburg's Fine Foods & Craft Beer Sumi Babka Babka Style Imperial Milk Stout with vanilla, cacao, and salt.

Overall I liked this one. The nose was quite nice, the flavor even better. The mouthfeel was the Achilles heel for me. If it was a little more lively in the mouth ("That's what she said!"- Michael Scott), it'd be a complete package.

Thanks Azi

LeRose, strohme2, Ozzylizard and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.