New Beer Sunday (week 729)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cavedave, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,478) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Goood Morning all you able ale admirers, idiosyncratic eisbier inquirers, diligent dunkel desirers, carefree Koelsch conspirers, respected review requirers, and to all other beer tenders, vendors, spenders, lenders, blenders, defenders, and dependers, Happy New Beer Sunday, cavedave filling in for @cjgiant edition.

Early start for me, but not for NBS nowadays. Will join you all after (gak you have no idea how hard it is to say this) ...work, this frigid morning on the ridge in the Mid Hud Val.

100 years ago this month the 36th state voted to ratify the 18th Amendment, which gave the majority needed to impose Alcohol Prohibition. A movement of folks who raised middle fingers to the government almost instantly created itself across this nation to keep now-secret beer taps supplied. Criminals they were called, these folks who brewed and smuggled the beer/alcohol a thirsty nation demanded. They say at the height of the insanity there were 20,000+ speakeasies in NYC alone. Easy to look back and see the foolish reality of well meaning politicians and concerned citizens deciding on a course of action little better than throwing the public's money into a big pit and burning it. The harder a government tries to regulate morality, the more ruthlessly creative become those who see Prohibition and strict enforcement as business opportunities.

I'd like to raise a glass to the skilled brewers and clever smugglers, to the delivery men, truckers, sailors, and moonshine runners who kept the "Speaks" goin' and beer flowin' to an appreciative public of thirsty beer lovers happy to hoist an illegal glass of joy. Yes, there was violence by bad people looking to control and profit, and of course we all condemn it, and let's not attempt to glorify/justify that. But, here's to all the (non-violent) "criminals" who made it impossible for the govt. to win, and brought a quick end to the madness after ten years. There's a bit of that rebel spirit in every beer we drink today.

Won't you belly up to the imaginary bar in this virtual saloon? Got a new beer to try? Got a nice pic that will make all of us drool? Please share your thoughts with us about the beer's characteristics, especially aroma, taste, mouthfeel, and your overall impressions. Do you recommend it? Not your "cup of tea"? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

As always, thanks for keeping NBS fresh, fun, and informative for 14+ years . Cheers!

2. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (8,725) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Счастливого Нового Русского Каменного Пивного Воскресенья (Неделя 729)!

That's "Happy New Russian Stone Beer Sunday (Week 729)!" for all of you non-Cyrillics out there. This week, I have been reading "The Greatest Russian Stories of Crime and Suspense" as edited by Otto Penzler & yesterday, during my neighborhood church's Attic Treasures monthly rummage sale, I scored two (2) souvenir glasses from St. Petersburg. Additionally, St. Amandus had his birthday on Saturday so it seems as though the Beer Gods want today to happen.

A little background. I am a frequent flier at the Friendly Greek Bottle Shop (FGBS) here in Lancaster, PA & while I may not be able to buy everything at once or to cart it all home on the bus in my backpack, they have created the "Box o' Fun" for me. When Stone's 2018 Small Batch Series hit the shelves, I knew that I wanted them, but at $17/BT, I took them one a visit until I had procured all three (3) with an eye to an upcoming NBS. Don't like my idea? As they say in Moscow, "Toughski shitski, comrade!"

The day begins with:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/52752/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]

3. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,720) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

New Beer Sunday: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Mornin’ NBSers with a report for those who like to explore the use of American hops in Belgian style beers. Also a welcome back to @cavedave who is filling in for @cjgiant to do the kick off this morning.

Today’s weather is starting off sunny but is then expected to become fairly cloudy with a high temp in the upper 30s. That will feel warmer than yesterday since we won't see the winds that kept yesterday’s “feels like” temperature in the low 20s-upper teens. However, this is all the prelude to a snow storm expected to leave 2-4” of snow overnight and into Monday. (Nothing near as big/bad as what our friends in the PNW and other parts of the US are looking at though.)

This morning’s new beer is from The Bruery out in CA and is called Mischief.

My review of this beer, subject to revision until I finish the beer, can be found here:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16866/53134/?ba=drtth#review

The aromas/flavors of this beer are both Belgian and American. There’s some pear, a bit of melon and some light grapefruit. The finish ends dry, peppery and slightly resinous. An interesting hybrid that is worth giving a try and I’ll enjoy having it again once in a while.

Cheers, all!

#3 drtth, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  4. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (3,366) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

5. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (3,366) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Good morning New BSers! Thanks, @cavedave, for today's kickoff! For anybody not following links, check out @woodychandler 's review - a fun read.

After @JackHorzempa 's review last week of both Sierra Nevada and Ommegang's attempts at brewing Brut IPAs, I was inspired to try that for myself. I had no luck finding Ommegang's entry in my area, but Sierra Nevada's Spring release was available.

$ 10.00 (Including tax)/6-pack of 12 oz bottles ($ 0.139/oz) from Franklin Beer, Franklin, PA. Reviewed 2/10/19.
    “PKGD 12/06/18” on top of rear label. From unopened case on shelf at distributor. Stored at 42 degrees and served at 42 degrees in a hand washed and dried Jester King snifter.
    Appearance – 4.
    Body – Light yellow, clear.
    Head – Average (Maximum 3.5 cm, aggressive center pour), white, high density, average retention, diminishing to a one to two mm ring and a spotty partial layer.
    Lacing – Poor. One short (2.8 cm) piece of lacing, like a lonely albatross flying over a yellow ocean.
    First pour – Very light yellow (almost colorless), clear.
    Aroma – 3 – Grass and dimethylsulfide.
    Flavor – 3 – Grass and dimethylsulfide. Lightly bitter and crisp. No alcohol (6.2% ABV) flavor. No diacetyl.
    Palate – 3.5 – Light, watery, dry carbonation.
    Impression and interpretation – 3 - “Spring Seasonal” that comes out in the previous fall – we now have a two-season push. The appearance is good, despite the paucity of lacing. The aroma and flavor are more reminiscent of an AAL than any IPA I’ve ever had – most like a Straub’s greenie. No advertised citrus found. The only distinguishing feature is the champagne-like dryness which also fades if you drink slowly. Overall, a disappointing brew from usually good to great Sierra Nevada.
    Rating 3.11, rDev -15.7%.

Needless to say, we were not amused.

6. TheGent

TheGent Meyvn (1,491) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

In the spirit of the @cavedave start, good morning purveyors of packaged products and purchasers and pourers of pints.

There is a local brewery here in my county called Wet Ticket. A seemingly odd name, but 100% in the spirit of the topic discussed in the @cavedave opening. I do not have a beer, or even a glass on hand, but I do have a sticker and thought I would share the logo in the spirit of today’s start. The name relates to politicians running on the “Wet Ticket,” or those in favor of repealing prohibition.

Onto the beer…

Red Cypress Brewery Imperial Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Death Roll

An Imperial Milk Stout coming in at 9.8%

Given to me in person by @FrankenMiller when we met in Orlando earlier this week for some beers. Thank you, Gene!

Appearance: The beers looks viscous as it pours from the can. You know when the beer is still and you get these huge, thin bubbles that attempt to from a cohesive head? Burnt sienna, large, thin and loosely packed bubbles. As I continue pouring, a beige, foamy head forms. It eventually settles to just a thin layer across the top of the glass, finally to the point where the beer looks still. The color of the beer is black. Opaque. As I drink the beer there are some thin streaks of lacing.

Smell: This beer smells like peanut butter and chocolate. I would not call is Reese’s which has an artificial aroma to it. This actually smells like peanuts and real peanut butter. The chocolate is milky. There is overly ripe banana aroma. It’s bready. Banana bread with chocolate chips. No indications of the ABV on the nose

Taste: Up front this beer is sweet, although far from cloying. The peanut butter definitely comes through and carries on throughout the entire beer. Peanuts, peanut butter and peanut skins. Milk chocolatey. However I am not getting any banana on the palate. I suspect it contributes to the overall sweetness of the beer, without standing out. A nice surprise not always present with these desserts stouts is some roasted malt bitterness that helps to dry out the beer on the finish and complements the overall sweetness.

Mouthfeel: The brewery has created a super creamy mouthfeel that mimics peanut butter. It’s a bit heavy on the palate but works with the flavors. Zero carbonation. The finish is actually semi-dry.

Overall: This beer is a good dessert stout. I think it hits on all advertised aspects and does it well, without being cloying and while retaining some stout qualities without being overshadowed by the “dessert” as aspect of this beer.

Could you imagine explaining a beer like this to the “Dry Tickets?” I imagine it would’ve not only made them upset bbut that it would’ve also raised some eyebrows. Perhaps it would’ve gone like this...

7. AyatollahGold

AyatollahGold Savant (908) Nov 28, 2016 Indiana
    Trader

Thanks to @cavedave for getting us started today. Hate for anyone to have to work on Sunday, but you’ll be all the more deserving of a new beer after!

Today I am starting out with coffee, and beer. Coffee in my beer. A coffee beer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is Coffee Nephilim from Central State Brewing (Indianapolis, IN) and it is their 11% imperial stout, Nephilim, with the addition of Unicorn Blood espresso from Dark Matter Coffee.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pouring from a 16 oz. can into a whiskey tumbler glass, this beer pours out very dark, slick and oily. It forms a pinky width of tightly packed caramel colored bubbles to form a crown. 3.75

The nose brings a freshly roasted coffee mixing with a dark chocolate presence. Like smelling in a bag of beans. Not much complexity, but a beautiful dimension of the coffee and chocolate. 3.75

The taste comes in with a huge wave of that roasty coffee before it turns into a silky dark chocolate and finishes with a slight saltiness, teriyaki/soy sauce. (This aspect is slight, but detectable to me) 3.5

It’s medium bodied with good depth for a coffee stout. Silky, slightly bitter, balanced acidity. Alcohol present, but hidden better than 11%. It doesn’t finish very cleanly, maybe because of that salty feeling it leaves behind. 3.5

Overall, it has some good aspects. The coffee seems freshly roasted, I like the silky chocolate notes, it’s got a balanced astringency (but so does Unicorn Blood) but it just lacked something that made it pop for me and it could’ve finished more cleanly. 3.5

Cheers NBS family! Can’t wait to see what you bring to the share!

8. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (4,347) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Premium

Thanks, Dave, for giving me a brief respite this week. Nice to see the thread rolling along as I enjoy another vacation morning with sun and a gentle cooling breeze.

I haven’t rated or reviewed many beers here in the Ft Lauderdale area since we’ve been enjoying company and smaller pours from flights of various brewers’ offerings. We’ll see if any Floridians with fuller experiences disagree, but my general experience so far is as follows:
    • Funky Buddha - we get a few of their flagships in DC, and have even started getting a couple rarer releases. Brewery selections stood up to our at-home experience with ok IPAs and interesting flavored/BA stouts. Their Märzen was pretty good, and their Sticky Nuts was the most oddly enjoyable offering I’ve had
    • Copperpoint Brewing Company - we oddly noted that they serve their beers very cold - but once allowed to “come to temp,” I found the cleanliness of the offerings quite enjoyable, notably their coffee bock and imperial stout (which do not seem to be flagships, though the coffee bock was available in 6-packs). The A-10 Red IPA was a surprise for a guy that’s usually not keen on hoppy ambers, but their Daz Pils seemed to lack the classic German aspects and seemed more of a decent American lager.
    • Due South and LauderAle has somewhat similar lineups, a good dose of IPAs with a mix of other styles. We tried a larger variety at LauderAle, many of which were good or showed promise. Due South made some decent unfiltered IPAs with a nice bitterness, and I especially enjoyed the level of heat they brought to a couple of (habanero) spiced offerings.
    • Barrel of Monks is an all-Belgian beer brewery, but that still affords them the ability to make a surprising range of beers. What I got there were clean, subtle beers but they seemed a little muted on the distinct Belgian yeast notes I expected to be more of a signature of the offerings. I wouldn’t mind giving this place another go with a little more time to focus on the beer.
    • Tarpon River and Saltwater were smaller places that didn’t win us over with the limited tastes we chose. I’d be willing to give them each a second chance, but only if I were already nearby, though.
    Cheers, all! Maybe I’ll find a second to get in a good review today. If not, there’s always time when we get back to the colder weather back home.

9. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (2,456) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

[​IMG]
    A-Pours a very clear golden color with a slight head and lacing
    A-Aroma has tropical citrus hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with nice tropical citrus flavors
    M-A light bodied very well carbonated beer that is very crisp
    O-A good Helles

10. VABA

[​IMG]

A-Pours a very hazy amber color with a slight head and lacing
    A-Aroma has malt hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a strong malt flavor
    M-A medium bodied decently carbonated beer
    O-A nice IIPA

11. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (848) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I've been to Wet Ticket a number of times. It's well worth a visit. I would go there more often except that while Wet Ticket is only 13 miles from home it takes 40 min. to get there.

MacMalt, hopsputin, Premo88 and 4 others like this.
  12. TheGent

Premium Trader

Agreed. They’re very good and do their styles well. Fortunately I’m only 6 miles and 15 minutes away.

13. ONUMello

ONUMello Poo-Bah (2,436) Feb 24, 2009 Ohio
    Premium Trader

Good morning NBS! I’ve been trying to work through some bottles that have been sitting around longer than they should. Fortunately most are beers made to age. This morning’s comes from BottleHouse, a small but fantastic local brewery/meadery. Ironically they were open several years before they actually started bottling their beers. This beer utilizes two other Cleveland beverage products: coffee from Rising Star and aged in bourbon barrels from Tom’s Foolery (which btw if you like bourbon and ever see a bottle it rivals anything coming from Kentucky at a similar price point).

[​IMG]

It’s not very often to see a brown ale given the barrel aged treatment, but this proves it can work just as well as a porter or stout. While not mentioned on the label as another reviewer pointed out there’s a unique coconut smell & flavor in addition to the stated coffee, cacao & vanilla. Certainly some bourbon flavor as well. At 8% the body is a bit thinner than I expected but that’s certainly nothing to complain about. Overall the quality of both the brewery and the individual ingredients shows and this is quite enjoyable to sip on a cold Cleveland morning.
    Cheers!

14. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,036) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Happy Sunday, NBS crew! I was hit this week with generous BIF boxes from both @Bum4ever and @woemad , plus a Virginia hop box from @vabeerguy , so will be drinking through several beers from those boxes today. Starting with this one from @Bum4ever .

Papillon - Moonraker
    IIPA - 8.5% abv
    Canned 1/18/19 (23 days ago)
    Score: 4.22 (-2.1% rDev)

[​IMG]

Review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/45975/395191/?ba=CanConPhilly#review

Synopsis:
    Unlike the Moonraker brew from Josh that I drank yesterday, this is very much in the style of NE IPAs being produced over here. This one looks like a stone-cold stunner, and smells like a tropical beach. Taste is a bit more dank than I would like, and the tropical hops from the nose get a bit lost in a fog of smoke, dirt, and alcohol. Still, this is a great beer, and puts Moonraker in the conversation for best ipa producers out there right now. Thanks again Josh!

15. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (5,928) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Trader

Thanks @cavedave for the great start to this weeks NBS. Will be back later on with a new brew.

Cheers!

16. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,813) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

One of my favorite beer styles (but they can be hard to find)

Last December is discussed two beers from a ‘new’ brewery to the US: Hofbrauhaus Freising. Now, this brewery is not exactly new since it was founded in 1160 but it is new to the US:

“Hofbrauhaus Freising to Begin US Distribution - Jul. 8, 2018”

I have not heard about this brewery before so here is a snippet from the press release:

“Founded in 1160, the Hofbrauhaus Freising brewery is among the world’s oldest breweries. Located in the “Cathedral City” of Freising, Germany, the brewery sits in the heart of Bavaria.

Hofbrauhaus Freising beers are superbly brewed according to Bavarian Purity Laws, using only premium ingredients (no preservatives) from the surrounding Alps and Hallertau regions. Hofbrauhaus Freising is one of only a select few breweries to be designated as a “Slow Brewer”, which guarantees a quality brewing process that ensures maximum flavor and freshness.”

https://www.brewbound.com/news/hofbrauhaus-freising-begin-us-distribution

I can only guess at what “slow brewer” means – maybe they lager for a long(er) time?

Today I will be discussing Hofbrauhaus Freising Dunkel. While I am a fan of the Dunkel beer style it would seem that others aren’t since there are not a lot of these beers available. Sly Fox in the past had a year-round beer which was a Dunkel (Sly Fox Dunkel) but they stopped producing it due to slow sales. I will occasionally see this beer on draft at the Sly Fox brewpub and I will get a pint (or two) when I see it.

Let’s learn more about the Hofbrauhaus Freising Dunkel from their website:

“Dunkel Export

Truly Bavarian. Our Dunkel Premium has an irresistibly malty flavour and light tones of caramel. Very tasty, very refreshing.

• Type: bottom-fermented
    • Alcohol: 5.2 % vol.
    • Original wort: 12°”
    My personal preference of the Dunkel (Munich Dunkel) beer style is that it has a depth of malt flavor from the use of Munich Malt and just a tiny hint of flavor from dehusked specialty malt. Some breweries choose to use some crystal malt in these beers which is not a preferred aspect for me.

Let’s see how Hofbrauhaus Freising chose to brew their Dunkel.

Served in my Spiegelau Lager Glasses:

Appearance:

A deep mahogany color with a garnet hue. There is a two finger tan head.

Aroma:

Mostly dark bread crust but there is some caramel as well.

Taste:

The flavor to large measure follows the nose. There is a notable dark bready flavor and some caramel. There are subtle hop flavors of herbal/spicy in the background. This beer has a low-medium bitterness.

Mouthfeel

A light/medium body, a aubtle aspect of softness and an off-dry finish.

Overall

I really enjoyed drinking this beer! The flavor is predominantly malty: mostly bready (dark bread) but some caramel as well. The hop flavors of herbal/spicy is very subdued.. This beer is very good – excellent.

Cheers to Hofbrauhaus Freising for brewing this Dunkel!

@rotsaruch @RobH @KOP_Beer_OUtlet @Ranbot @Crusader

P.S. A domestically brewed Dunkel that I am a BIG fan of is Von Trapp Dunkel.

[​IMG]

RobH, JBowenGeorgia, bret717 and 52 others like this.
  17. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,095) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

[​IMG]

Rich gold color with lasting cap and lacing.

Deep aroma of sweet malt and some ripe tropical fruits such as pineapple and mango, bit of tangerine and herbs as well. Very complex and enticing scent.

Taste on entry is a delightful melange of sweet malt and vibrant hops. Beautifully balanced and complex. Malt has the depth of a slice of Death by Chocolate cake yet remains almost restrained, as if it's so confident it doesn't have any need to show off. Hops are there in abundance with brightness and vibrancy equal to the intensity of the malt. Ripe fruit hop elements emerge more fully yet stay within bounds. By mid palate I'm getting some of the herbal influence in the hops which acts as seasoning rather than a flavor. Everything just works so well together.

Full texture with a bit more carbonation than needed.

This is a big bold, brassy brew by any standards.

18. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,536) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

I had a sixer of that last month- really outstanding stuff at a very reasonable price! These guys are a very welcome addition to my area (their O'fest was also excellent).

19. JackHorzempa

Premium

That's me!:slight_smile:

Cheers!

woemad, kemoarps, cavedave and 6 others like this.
  20. JackHorzempa

Premium

woemad, keithmurray, kemoarps and 3 others like this.
  21. woodychandler

Trader

Здравствуйте, товарищи, я вернулся!

Hello, comrades, I'm back! This second was more than I had bargained for. The combination of caffeine & alcohol was what caused the FDA to make FourLoko remove its caffeine. I guess that they figure that consumers of high-end beer can better sustain that onslaught, but my heart is trying to beat its way out of my chest and run away at a time that I should realistically be ready for a nap. Phew!

Take a gander :
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/311305/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    I now want to finish reading my book & lay down, but my eyelids are as open as Alex's in "A Clockwork Orange"! Eeek! What hath Stone wrought? That said, I do love my new glasses ...

22. jkblr

jkblr Meyvn (1,480) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Premium Trader

Good morning NBS
    Taxman Brewing released a new Belgian IPA with Ekuanot hops and I was compelled to try it.
    [​IMG]
    The review:
    12oz canned 1/10/19 (1 month ago) poured into a Taxman snifter at fridge temp 6.5% ABV 50 IBU per can. The beer pours hazy in a color resembling peach. The head is nearly white and quickly fades to a thin ring. There is a slight lace that follows the level in the glass. The aroma is full of peach, orange, grapefruit peel, white grape and faint Belgian yeast. The taste is more bitter rind and dank than tropical fruit. The medium bitterness stays level throughout each sip. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, good, but not great. This edition is a bit more one noted than previous Hop Audit offerings with the earthy & dank presence drowning out the malt and yeast.

I have homebrewed with Ekuanot hops (in a rye IPA) and enjoyed that batch quite a bit. In this case, I think the hops overpowered their house Belgian IPA that they use as a base for this series. I will still buy every non-sour canned offering I see from these guys as they are the most consistent brewer in southern Indiana and their beers are always available fresh.

Cheers all and enjoy the new beer in your glass today!

23. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,036) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

New beer #2.

Cowfee Break - Bolero Snort
    Coffee Porter - 6.1% abv
    Purchased for $5.49 at Monde Market
    Score: 3.83 (+10.1% rDev)

[​IMG]

Review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29850/394102/?ba=CanConPhilly#review

Synopsis:
    First off, the other incredibly low ratings on this are criminal. It’s not at all a bad beer. That being said, it’s rather pedestrian, and does not live up to its premium pricing. It claims to be a moderately creamy, low abv coffee-infused porter, and it lives up to that. The metallic finish is unfortunate, but otherwise this is a well made and enjoyable to drink beer. I’ve yet to love any Bolero Snort beer, but like the others I’ve had, this is perfectly acceptable (albeit overpriced).

24. woodychandler

Trader

Compelled OR CANpelled? You have my address! 8=)

kemoarps, TheDoctor, Premo88 and 4 others like this.
  25. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Poo-Bah (3,029) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon

Good morning and happy New Bio Sunday, BAs. Another slow week. A little snow fall but not nearly the “Snowpocalypse” that was predicted. We will see what next week has in store. Other than that, just got off work so it's time for a new beer from a great Portland staple (though no brewery seems safe around here lately…) then off to bed!

First of all, I love Upright and their mission statement alone is a testament to why:

"Every beer at Upright is formulated with both balance and individuality in mind, bottle conditioned by our talented brewers in a truly hands on manner.
    We hope that you appreciate the absence of gimmicks at Upright and enjoy the beers in the same sincere fashion that they are made."

This beer here:

"Bioacoustic Blend was made in collaboration with Whitney Burnside of 10 Barrel Brewing. Conceptualized over a bottle of Petrus Aged Pale, we set off to produce a beer in the same vein, potent with a light malt character, big oak expression, complex acidity, and mature flavors. The brew was a small batch, blending only three casks after 15+ months in vintage barrels formerly used for our old ale, Billy the Mountain. The Bioacoustic Blend drinks with a pleasant lactic/acidic balance showing less acidity than the Petrus example while showing a deeper range brettanomyces rooted aromas, especially as it warms."

Upright Brewing
    Bioacoustic Blend
    - Belgian Pale Ale

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A yellow glow blends softly into orange both from bottom to top and from side to center. An eager and lively white froth peaks over the rim of the glass then slowly cozies down and out, just to hug the perimeter. Small particles are suspended but also take a slow trip to the bottom of the glass.

Green grape skins and hay are met with freshly milled oak and white pepper. It smells like a sunny day at a country farm. Kicked up dust and grass mowed just hours ago, morning dew and raspberries straight from the vine to bring up the acidity ever so slightly.

The flavors promise an equal experience. Acidic and fruity notes in form of lemon, grape skin, and tart berries. Earth from light oak and dried hay, and the lightest herbal touch. Damp and musty barnyard siding and sweat for funk. All of these flavors are subtle and delicate, none with a stranglehold over the other.

Staying true to its description, it is pleasant, light, slightly acidic, and full of oak that leeches to dryness. Very dry in fact, making it very, very easy to drink. Not bitter by any means, but pulls of such perfect balance. I'd almost say a trio of balance with sweet, sour, and savory. The alcohol is felt only in the chest like a tannic wine.

Upright pulls off another stunner. Bioacoustic Blend is simply delicious and elegant. It's a remarkably simple idea… malts, hops, yeast, bacteria, oak. Most importantly, time, patience, and knowledge. I hope I can find more.

After my official review, I gave Bioacoustic Blend a rating 4.42 of with no rDev.

Some "fun" facts:
    Malts: Pils, Vienna
    Hops: Santiam
    Brewed: October 19, 2016
    Bottled: March 2, 2018
    Total yield: 125 cases and 1 keg.

Sheesh! Talk about channeling my inner @cjgiant . Way too many words. Cheers.

#25 Lingenbrau, Feb 10, 2019
  26. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Defender (688) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Really cool post! I do really like Dark Matters coffee. They are the FFF of coffee shops. Unicorn Blood has some heavy peanut butter notes when brewed.

27. jkblr

jkblr Meyvn (1,480) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Premium Trader

I CAN neither confirm or deny that there is currently a CAN of this and/or a red wine barrel aged quad in my crisper drawer sporting the initials W.C.

28. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,374) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

[​IMG]

Rochester Mills The Original Milkshake Stout

Happy Sunday, BAs. Shout out to @cavedave and the lawless BAs out there.

Today’s new beer comes courtesy of the generous @LloydDobler in NBS BIF 8.5. It pours a rich brown that sits near-black in a nonic pint glass. It has a half a finger of khaki-colored head that leaves solid lacing.

Roasted malts and some carbon dioxide stand out in the aroma, much like a dry Irish Stout. There’s also some coffee and light chocolate behind.

It’s definitely creamy tasting, but it’s still very roasted malts forward, with more coffee character than chocolate.

It has a really creamy feel, too, with a nice amount of carbonation cutting through.

This is definitely nowhere near as sweet as many “milkshake” brews these days, and not as chocolatey as I expected either, but still a really enjoyable, well-crafted beer. Thanks, Chris.

29. AyatollahGold

AyatollahGold Savant (908) Nov 28, 2016 Indiana
    Trader

Thanks man! It’s actually my first bag of Dark Matter coffee ever and I’ve enjoyed it so far. Gonna have to get more.
    I did find it interesting though that in this beer, I found that salty, teriyaki/soy sauce element (that so many say they find in Dark Lord, which also uses Unicorn Blood) because I VERY RARELY have ever noticed it in a beer. Maybe one or two besides this one. And not even Dark Lord. (Out of trying 16, 17, 18)

Cheers!

30. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Defender (688) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois
    Premium Trader

I’ve only picked up the soy on Dark Lord when it’s well past it’s prime . But obviously everyone’s mileage will vary.

If your picking up more Dark Matter I’d strongly recommend Crack The Skye and Blood Lord.

One note about Blood Lord is that it shines as an expresso.

Cheers!

strohme2, cavedave, Vidblain and 2 others like this.
  31. TheGent

Premium Trader

Twin Elephant Brewing Feel the Realness

5.9% American Pale ale with Enigma, Galaxy and Citra

A new beer for Twin Elephant and for me, other than the first growler pour I had yesterday

Appearance: This beer is gorgeous for the NE style. It pours an opaque, murky, pale yellow straw color. A tall eggshell head that does settle, leaving a lot of lacing on the glass. No visible carbonation. Really a striking color.

Smell: This beer is bursting with hop aroma. Ripe mango, orange citrus, guava and pineapple. Starburst candy. Less sweet grassy notes too. Bready malt profile.

Taste: The flavor closely follows the nose, but is lacking for me. Yesterday I questioned the “greeness” of the beer. There seemed to be a slight burn to it. There still is. The finish dries out very quickly, which I do not like. Green pineapple and mango. Orange and lemon citrus. Grassy.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, creamy and soft carbonation. Very dry on the finish.

Overall: This has the makings of a fantastic NE Style Pale Ale, but needs some work in the flavor and feel department.

This is it for me today, unless I return later this evening. Enjoy your Sundays, and I look forward to catching up later today on everyones’ reviews

Cheers!

#31 TheGent, Feb 10, 2019
  32. zid

zid Savant (956) Feb 15, 2010 New York

[​IMG]

Free Will - Saison In The Key Of Life

It's been a while since I opened a 750 saison and I was drooling while taking out the bottle opener for this one. This might be my first from Free Will... I don't remember having one of their beers before. The label claims that this is a "saison ale fermented in an oak foudre and finished in wine barrels with a house saison strain and various strains of Brettanomyces and bacteria."

This 2017 beer is a dull and hazy pale amber. Thank Ninkasi this wasn't a gusher. The head is wonderful. Aromas of fruit and acidity. This Stevie Wonder beer is gentle and wonderful. There's acidity to it but it feels like a major supporting character rather than the reason for being. Green apples, lemon, underripe pineapple, underripe peach... but the fruit is dulled and I mean that in the best possible way. Any oak character is cohesive or background... that goes double for any wine character. The beer is crisp where it needs to be and soft in the other places. The drinkability makes the 5.5% hit like a brick. Very nice refined beer.

33. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (848) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

LOL My NBS beer is the same one @TheGent wrote up in post # 31. Feel the Realness from Twin Elephant. I pretty much agree with him except I found the taste and finish to be fine. It may have been a bit green and better next week but it's GWTW by now.

34. TheGent

Premium Trader

Haha oops!

Hey, nice review! :wink:

The more I drank it the more dry I found it to be.

35. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,451) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Premium Trader

Checking out The Bruery's Bakery: Coconut Macaroons...
    [​IMG]
    Imperial stout (13% abv) aged in bourbon barrels, brewed with coconut and vanilla...
    [​IMG]
    Brown-black pour into an over-sized snifter produced a black-bodied ale with slight translucence around the edges and a finger of dark brown foam... Head slimmed to a foamy collar and trailed some brief lace arms down the glass... Aromas were of chocolate and vanilla with a hint of booze, previewing much of the same on the sip... Sweet beer, as you'd expect, with ample chocolate syrup and vanilla liqueur and suggestions of chewy coconut and sweet bourbon... Medium-full-bodied and smooth, a little sticky on the finish... A little too sweet for my tastes, but that was to be expected in a "pastry stout"...

12/18/18 canning...

36. Tucquan

Tucquan Poo-Bah (2,822) Oct 11, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Greetings from Lancaster County, PA on this mildish winter afternoon. I was gifted a nice treat yesterday from my son-in-law; a fresh can of Trillium's Cape Elizabeth Lighthouse Double IPA. Never having heard of this lighthouse, a quick search showed it to be along the rocky coast of Maine. It's been quite awhile since I hiked that rocky coast and environs, but clearly a good lighthouse can save the day. Speaking of which, I ran into this compelling story on the wiki article at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Elizabeth_Lights

Schooner Australia aground
    One of the most thrilling episodes in the history of the lighthouse occurred on January 28, 1885, when Keeper Marcus A. Hanna saved two crew members of the schooner Australia which had run aground on the ledge near the fog signal station. The two men had taken to the rigging and were coated with ice, unable to move. The captain was drowned as a huge comber washed the deck. Keeper Hanna, securing a heavy iron weight to the end of a stout line, attempted time and again to reach the men with it. Suddenly a towering wave struck the schooner and smashed her against the rocks, putting her on her beam ends.

[​IMG]
    Casco Bay entrance.

Keeper Hanna again threw his line and watched it land on the schooner. One of the seamen managed to reach it and bent it around his waist. Then he jumped into the sea and the keeper, with great effort, pulled him up over the rocky ledge. The keeper now heaved the line a second time and finally it reached the second seaman who wound it around his icy body. Then he too jumped into the ocean. Just as the keeper's strength was exhausted in trying to haul ashore the second man, help came in the shape of the keeper's assistant and two neighbors, who helped haul the man to safety.

On to the beer!

[​IMG]

A - Very hazy golden-orange with a 3/4-finger white head and moderate lace.
    S - Fresh, ripe peach, mango and orange. Mildly dank, hop floral. Enticing
    T - Pungent vegetal/grassy/herbal spice up front. White grapefruit flesh, mango. Chalky/yeast. Light Zwieback cracker. Not getting the peach I noticed in the aroma. Alcohol is present and lends some sweetness. Finish is mild-moderately bitter with some white pepper and that grassy/herbal spice and orange pith.
    M - Medium full body and light-medium carbonation. On the soft side.
    O - Another well-done DIPA from Trillium.

Hope everyone enjoys their new brews today!

37. VABA

Ardent IPA X

[​IMG]

A-Pours a very hazy golden color with a slight head but generous lacing
    A-Aroma has tropical citrus and hoppy hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with nice tropical citrus and hoppy flavors
    M-A medium bodied well carbonated beer
    O-A nice IPA

38. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (3,550) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire

[​IMG] Poured into a 13 oz Tired Hands Teku glass canned on 1/10/19. Pours a very attractive hazy dark yellow with a 2 finger sticky white head that leaves webs of lace all over the sides of the glass, with amazing retention. 4.5

Smell papaya, passionfruit, pineapple, and some white grapefruit rind. 4.5

Taste follows papaya, passionfruit, getting some white grapes, pineapple, and very little but some grapefruit. 4.25

Mouthfeel is bigger than average, a tad sticky but not dry, nice and soft on the tongue, and goes down easy but drinks closer to 8% ABV. 4.5

Overall this is some really tasty stuff, it comes at over $20 a 4 pack but it is really tasty and well made.4.25

39. zid

zid Savant (956) Feb 15, 2010 New York

As I'm finishing up this 2017 bottle, I gotta say, I've thoroughly enjoyed this Pennsylvania beer packaged in a green 750ml bottle (there was no skunk BTW)... and I'm also thinking about all of the 16oz cans of beer that I typically feature for NBS. Some of the liquid from those cans has been very good, but I've had plenty of Sunday losing streaks lately. This bottle has probably been the nicest NBS beer for me in a long time. While the package doesn't make the beer, this tidbit still strikes a chord with me. I've got some cans lined up for later.

40. Bluecrow

Bluecrow Champion (846) Jul 16, 2012 New York

I played in a "mud-over-frozen-ground" soccer match this morning, not so fun. Field turf would have been preferable. This juice-box helped thereafter.

Don't Kill the Whale
    , recently canned at Finback Brewery, is triple dry-hopped IPA (with Amarillo, Azacca, Belma, Blanc, Citra, Denali, 007 and Mosaic) presents bright yellow with a deep haze and a 1/2 cm foam cap. The aroma packs a fruit punch -punch. The flavors include tangerine, pineapple, kiwi and some banana. The hop bitterness is moderate and the finish is somewhat dry. The hop combination works well. It is very good.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.