1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

New Beer Sunday (Week 738)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lordofthewiens, Apr 14, 2019 at 5:02 AM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (4,640) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

What’s the difference between a tire and 365 condoms?

One’s a Goodyear, the other’s a great year.

This has been a great year for me, and not because of all those condoms. I retired a year ago, after working as a pediatrician for 40+ years. I was ready. Work was beginning to be more like work. I still enjoyed it, just not as much as I used to. Yet, even though I thought I was ready to retire, there were some nagging thoughts. What if I miss work? What if I get bored? Well, I don’t miss work. Not even a little bit. And I am certainly not bored. Part of retirement was moving from Maine to New Mexico. We had grown tired of Maine winters and wanted something different. There’s a whole new world to explore here in New Mexico, and we are taking advantage of that. I get to play golf all year, instead of only six months. I have been able to help my wife more with her podcast. So, yeah, I am having a great year.

Today seems like a great day to have a new beer. Not only to try it, but to tell us about it. Describe the appearance, aroma, taste, and mouthfeel, then give your overall impression. You might find New Beer Sunday to be a fun thread to visit.

Cheers!

2. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Devotee (480) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

Thanks for the start @lordofthewiens

Today's new beer is from Other Half brewing out of BK NY

This beer is called Oh....

The beer was canned on 4/419 and severed into a tulip snifter hybrid glass.

Beer pours a beautiful bright and hazy golden yellow straw color.

Aromas consist of tropical fruits with a touch of lemon sorbet and cream.

Taste follows the nose and delivers a rich body with lovely and fruity yeast esters while wrapped up in a bouquet of fruit forward hops.

Overall, this is a great and crush-able beer with tons of body and flavor, all within a session-able 6% abv.

O yea and this beer has that Gummy bear thing going on too.

Cheers and happy NBS!
    [​IMG]

3. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,376) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Society Trader

What Podcast ?

4. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (8,976) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Happy New Hoosier Daddy Beer Sunday (Week 738)!

I was absent last week due to attending the annual BCCA Spring Thaw CANvention in Mechanicsurg, PA but I am back at full strength today!

If a joke is the theme of the week, here is my current fave:
    A woman visits a psychiatrist for the first time.
    Doc: What brings you for a consultation?
    Woman: I am terrified of random, spoken letters.
    Doc: Are you?!?
    Woman: [Screaming uncontrollably.]
    Doc: Oh, I see.
    Woman: [Screaming more loudly, runs out, never to be seen again.]

Speaking of people that we may never hear from or see again, let me give a shout-out to @jkblr & @AyatollahGold ! I am not much of a trader these days, between better & better distro here in SouthCentral PA; a stupid backlog; ennui/laziness & low funding, but I CAN be swayed.

I keep saying that I eventually want to attend UW (Madison) & relocate to the Midwest, but some states are more CANpelling than others. Ahia? Pass! I loathe it? Wisco? Sure! MichiCAN? Heck, yes! IndiCANa? Maybe. I almost married a Hoosiette at one point. Well, the aforementioned duo have loaded me up with a great buncha (mostly) CANs from IndiCANa, but I start our day off with a bottle:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26/36190/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    Underway! Shift colors! See yinz later.

5. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Crusader (795) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Society Trader

What’s the difference between a bathtub and a toilet bowl?

That’s the last time you’re drinking at my house.

Thank you @lordofthewiens for starting this beautiful thread at this wonderful witching hour. Not sure if I ever get to retire but I’m holding on to hope. My father was a professor of art at the college here in Montana but he grew up in Barrington, NH on a pick your own berry, grape and Christmas tree farm. It was originally the Peletiah Daniels farm built around 1789. Currently it’s the Brasen Hill Farm and still in operation. I spent many summers there and travelled up to Maine get my picture taken in front of Nubble Light and The Wedding Cake House. Ayuh, I’ve been theyah.

Can’t imagine ever leaving Montana afer 42 years. Love the snow and isolation of the winters, while somewhat brief 100 degree heat of the summer is negligible in the long run. Recently learned we hold the record for most variation between record low and high temp in a year for a state. It was 1937, with a recorded high of 117 in Medicine Lake and a record low of -70 in Rogers Pass. Thanks Who Wants to be a Millionaire. :wink: I’m also a fan of the lack of population and don’t think I could ever adapt to calculating sales tax. But who really knows what the future holds.

Enough of all that, on to a beer. Pours an effervescent black with a quickly dissipating head. Nose is sweet, dark grape juice, chocolate, smoke and leather. Flavor is more of the same with hints of grape soda, apple, black cherry, dry oak and red wine tannins. Body is thin to moderate, and with no date on the bottle I believe it’s a bit young and hot and would have done better to sit a year or two. Overall a pleasant expierece and change of pace from the barrel aged stouts I usually seek out. Dogfish head in my mind is always good for that, and I wish they were distributed in state so I could get sick of them in normal rotation opposed to being a palate cutter once of twice a year.

[​IMG]

Cheers fellow NBSers. Variety is the spice of life.

6. Shanex

Shanex Moderator (1,276) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

I asked my teenage niece to go get me a newspaper.

She laughed at me and said: ‘oh uncle, you’re so old. Just use my phone.’

So I slammed her phone against the wall to kill a spider.

So howdy NBS and thanks for starting this thread, retired doc.

I spent last evening with a good old buddy and stayed over because we drank a bit. On my way home, I drove by the mall to participate in NBS with a new brew...

That would be Hop Save the Queen.

[​IMG]

An English IPA brewed in the wider Paris region. 330ml, 5,6%.

Poured into a neutral Teku leaving a massive white head. I poured yet again too agressively and this foam remind me of vanilla ice cream or something.

Look is dark orange, very opaque. Nice lacing and the foam vanished quickly.

Smells tea and grapefruit.

Taste citrus, spices and black currant fruit. I like it, it’s also sort of a hop bomb, quite bitter and what I’d expect from an English IPA.

Overall, good beer. Not mind boggling, still pleasant. I can see myself buying that regularly with the warmer days coming here.
    I doubt it’s (for now) available elsewhere than France, buy it safely if you’re in our parts.

Cheers

7. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,523) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Morning Doc, thanks for the great start. Pretty sure no one here today relates more completely to your comments about love of retirement. Morning all.

Gotta go in to work extra early due to the recycle center got crushed yesterday, I got run ragged, every roll off is nearly full, and can't get any pulled until Monday. Not much left in the tank of this old body. There will be no distant bugle call, no cavalry to come to rescue this old hippie. Today is gonna be a fustercluck . It was a top ten busiest day of all time y'day, can you believe it? I tell ya, no good deed goes unpunished. OTOH it is a good sign that so many folks are doing so much recycling. That could be my epitaph lol. Two more weeks to go to retirement part 2.

Def gonna be joining with a beer later, see ya then.

#7 cavedave, Apr 14, 2019 at 10:24 AM
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019 at 10:31 AM
  8. WunderLlama

WunderLlama Poo-Bah (1,986) Dec 27, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

A Roman walks into a bar

He holds up two fingers and says “give me five beers.”

On vacation, celebrating wedding anniversary , my birthday , life and , of course, new beers...

Extra extra pulp from civil society
    4.23/5 rDev +1.4%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Can poured into pint glass

Hazy orange, two finger off white creamy foam cap , some lacings

Orange citrus hop aroma

Orange citrus , wheat

Taste a bit of the alcohol,

Good beer

9. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,778) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

New Beer Sunday: Bohemian Pilsner

Mornin’ NBSers and an alert for the fans of Perle and Saaz hops. Also a thanks to @lordofthewiens for his start this morning.

Today’s weather is supposed to be mostly cloudy all day with the possibility of a shower or two. The expected high temperature is in the low 70s, so the day will be perfect for yard work. (The lawn really really needs some help this year….)

A joke my wife recently heard on a TV news show that she enjoys retelling.

“April showers bring May flowers.”

“What do May flowers bring?”

“Pilgrims."

This morning’s new beer is the Bohemian Pilsner from the Von Trapp Brewery in Vermont.

My in-progress review can be found here:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22512/126783/?ba=drtth#review

The aromas/flavors are clearly those of a Bohemian Pilsner. There are floral, herbal and spicy hops along with some biscuity malt. In addition the light malt sweetness is balanced nicely by some earthy, spicy and herbal bitterness that becomes more noticeable as the malt sweetness fades away. Enjoyable, drinkable and worth giving a try and I'd certainly be willing to have it again. That said my preferences in Pils beers leans more towards the German style so if offered a choice this and a nice German style this would probably be my second choice.

Cheers, all!

10. lordofthewiens

Society

Lots to celebrate. Congrats!

MacMalt, woemad, smanson56 and 8 others like this.
  11. lordofthewiens

Society

True Crime Brewery.

MacMalt, woemad, smanson56 and 6 others like this.
  12. lordofthewiens

Society

If you've been to the Nubble, you were in my neck of the woods. I grew up in Maine, left for 13 years, then returned. I never thought about leaving. As we started to talk about retirement, my wife said, "You know, we could live anywhere." And here we are. Funny how things work out.

MacMalt, woemad, JayWhitson and 12 others like this.
  13. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,299) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Good morning NBSers. Today is reveal day for the NBS BIF.

First one for me is Double Humble Galaxy from Ingenious courtesy of @r0rschach
    [​IMG]

Here is my review:
    4.32/5 rDev 0%
    look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a can dated 3/18

A: Golden hazy dishwater, two fingers of creamy head. Remnants of the head remains for the entirety
    N: Guava, Mango nectarine.
    T: Is surprisingly interesting. Piney resin flavors give this an interesting character. The fruit flavors do not taste nearly as sweet as the nose would lead you to believe.
    MF: Resiney slight alcohol burn. (these are good things in my eyes)
    O: I love it for the bitterness and beerness. Juice wolves looking for a beer that tastes oj might be dissapointed.

14. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,901) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Is she a 10?

The ‘she’ in this instance is Sly Fox Hop Project 010 beer.

Sly Fox Brewing Co. periodically produces hoppy beers under their program of Hop Project:

“The only constant is change.

Release date, availability, style...always changing.

There’s a certain beauty to be found in impermanence and our latest creation, Hop Project®, is about finding and embracing that beauty. Each release employs a new recipe, a new brewing technique, a new hop combination, or all of the above to create a truly unique liquid experiment.

Our brewers are excited to continuously explore the universe of hop-forward beers. Each project is a chance to step out of our comfort zone and flex our creative brewing muscles by utilizing new hop varieties and utilizing innovative hopping methods. The Hop Project® possibilities are endless.

Hop Project® beers are available in 16oz. cans and on draft, but quantities are very limited. Be sure to keep an eye on our social media pages for the latest release announcements, because just like the beer itself, no two releases will cover quite the same ground.”

https://www.slyfoxbeer.com/hop-project

Of the ten Hop Project beers they have produced I would reckon I have had a half-dozen. They are now up to iteration number 10:

“Current Sly Fox Hop Project Limited Release Beer

No. 010

Double Dry-Hopped IPA

15.4: OG 48: IBU 7.4: ABV%

This fruity, golden IPA boasts flavors of mandarin orange and pineapple with a hint of strawberry on the nose. Generously hopped with Mosaic, Mandarina Bavaria, Denali, and a brand new hop variety, Lotus, our brewers’ liquid experimentation has resulted in another delectably smooth beer.

Release Date03.29.19”

Well this beer sure reads like a “10” but let’s put it to the taste test.

Served in my Gulden Draak tulip glass:

Appearance:

A slightly hazy golden color with a BIG fluffy white head.

Aroma:

There are BIG aromas of tropical fruit and citrus.

Taste:

The flavor follows the nose with flavors of tropical fruit and citrus but there is some more – a tiny bit of resin as well. There is a moderate bitterness.

Mouthfeel:

Medium bodied with an off-dry finish.

Overall:

I think this beer is very good! I enjoyed drinking it. While it is not quite a “10” it is tasty and it makes me look forward to Hop Project 011.

Cheers to Sly Fox for their wonderful Hop Project®!

@KOP_Beer_OUtlet @rotsaruch @NeroFiddled @Kadonnay @RobH

P.S. Later today I will be heading down to Philly to attend the Real Ale Festival at Yards Brewing. The last time I attended they had 50+ beers available on cask. I am looking forward to today’s event!

[​IMG]

RobH, AZBeerDude72, MacMalt and 52 others like this.
  15. rgordon

rgordon Savant (909) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

That's a beautiful beer in the glass and a very cool package.

MacMalt, woemad, smanson56 and 7 others like this.
  16. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,901) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Tom, I discussed this beer three years ago in a side-by-side with Pilsner Urquell. I enjoyed drinking the Von Trapp Bohemian Pilsner but...

"Overall:

Von Trapp Bohemian Pilsner : I enjoyed drinking this beer but the caramel-like flavor is not exactly thrilling for my personal palate. I am thinking that with more exposure (drinking) of this beer it will ‘evolve’ into a favorite? I strongly suspect that this is the sort of beer that would ‘grow’ on me."

I never drank it again so I have no idea whether it would grow on me.

Cheers!

MacMalt, woemad, Coronaeus and 15 others like this.
  17. SammyJaxxxx

Society Trader

Another Sunday Morning New Beer courtesy of @r0rschach

Southern Grist - Process Control

[​IMG]
    Here's my review
    4.27/5 rDev +1.4%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Hazy yellow with a fuzzy white head
    N: Pineapples oranges sweet fruits
    T: A bit of grapefruit rind, tangerine orange pineapple.
    MF: A bit of bitterness which is nice. Very smooth
    O: This is very nice IPA.

18. AyatollahGold

AyatollahGold Savant (998) Nov 28, 2016 Indiana
    Trader

My wife asked me if I wanted a cup of coffee this morning, I replied “No, I’m just going to have a carton of milk” to which she then says “better than a pint of beer”

So today’s first beer will be,

Beer: Carton of Milk
    Brewery: Carton Brewing Co. (Atlantic Highlands, NJ)
    ABV: 4%

This beer comes courtesy of @TheGent and will be my first beer from Carton. Excited to dive in.
    [​IMG]
    Pouring from a 16 oz. can into a Guinness pub style glass. (because brewery’s instructions say flat bottomed glass) Bombing this beer into the glass (another brewery instruction) provides wonderful sights of a quick rush of black liquid that melds into a dark brown while bubbles of nitrogen quickly form a delightful, thick, peanut butter fudge looking crown. The beer itself is a very deep brown; it looks entirely black in the glass until holding it to light reveals highlights of ruby and mahogany shades. It maintains a pinky width of crown throughout the entirety and leaves slight lacing.

The nose offers dark, roasty and sweet malts. Slightly burnt, bitter bakers chocolate takes the show away with the prominence but allows notes of dried, dark fruit to tangle through as well. It definitely doesn’t smell like anything was sacrificed to make this sessionable, which I love.

The taste brings in fresh, dry and not yet roasted coffee beans that show themselves sitting on top of that bitter baker chocolate presence. The dark, dried fruits like currants and burnt blackberries come in about halfway through and carry you the rest of the way through the tunnel, while the bitterness is leading the way with a flashlight.

The mouthfeel is somewhat on the thinner side (which I always seem to think about nitrogen beers) but offers a nice creaminess. While the bitterness isn’t overpowering, it is the one aspect that stays in this beer from beginning to end.

Overall, this is a pretty good treat. I love the fact they made a stout that is this sessionable (4%) without having the feeling that anything was sacrificed.

Thank you @TheGent for this one!

I will be back later with something I am very much looking forward to. Until then, I can’t wait to see what you bring to the share!

19. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (1,630) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Little did she know....haha

Nice review. I haven’t fully reviewed this beer, but I can say your thoughts are spot on with my experience. Glad you enjoyed!

MacMalt, woemad, smanson56 and 11 others like this.
  20. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (3,448) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good morning all yinz New BSers! It's another lovely (lemonade) rainy day here in NW PA. Yesterday we spent a lot of the day driving to and from Wooly Pig Farm Brewing somewhere near Westbygawd. Well worth the trip - we got to meet up with @WesMantooth again and I got to have some good, fresh, beer. And even better, I didn't have to work in the yard.
    Thanks, @lordofthewiens, for today's start. You are fortunate - I totally miss work (well, the people anyway) but by staying in the area I get to see and hear of all the changes (mostly bad, a rare one good) that are reshaping the medical industry.
    Enough whining. Today's New Breakfast Beer and the opener of NBS BIF#9:

Received from @jdell15 in NBS BIF #9. Reviewed 4/14/19. Thanks Jacob!
    “Bottled on 09/04/18” on label. Stored at 42 degrees and served at 60 degrees in a hand washed and dried Jester King snifter.
    Appearance – 4.5.
    Body – Dark brown to black, opaque. Still opaque when held to the light.
    Head – Large (Maximum 4.8 cm, aggressive center pour), brown, high density, average retention, diminishing to a tight three mm ring, and a thin cap with some small rocks.
    Lacing – Excellent! Complete bands of mostly extremely tiny bubbles. This eventually opens lacunae which gives a lace curtain appearance. This is amazing because of the 11% ABV alone.
    First pour – Dark brown, translucent.
    Aroma – 4.25 – Weak rye, vanillin, chocolate, and some generic “dark fruit”.
    Flavor – 4.5 –This begins with a very soft, smooth, rye whiskey flavor (Smooth rye whiskey? That approaches being an oxymoron) backed by light chocolate and “dark fruit” notes as well as vanillin from the barrels. This is neither sweet nor bitter (50 IBU). Only a slight gastric warming is noted. No alcohol (11 % ABV!), no dimethylsulfide, no diacetyl.
    Palate – 4 – Full, creamy, soft carbonation.
    Impression and interpretation – 4.5 – While the nose is weaker than expected, the deliciousness as it caresses the tongue is an absolute bonus! This is one of those sneaky brews that seems a lot lower in ABV than it really is. Looks, smells, and tastes good – a beer trifecta!
    Rating 4.39, rDev +2.8%.

21. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,144) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Clear light gold color with white cap and lacing.

Pleasant, sharp aroma of citrus hops with some tropical touches of mango, pineapple and bitter orange zest. I don't know if orange is classed as a tropical fruit but that's what I'm getting.

Taste is hop forward with a burst of bright citrus followed by the same fruit elements I found in the scent. Malt is running along with the rest but it's way back in the pack. I do get occasional flashes of honey malt but they go as quickly as they come. Quickly covered up by hops I suspect. In total simple flavors that don't clash and work together in a cooperative sort of way.

Medium texture with balancing carbonation.

Overall it strikes me as a well made middle of the road IPA. Doesn't have a traditional Lager smoothness or grain presence. Don't know why they went to the extra trouble to make a Lager then make it taste like an IPA but I wasn't consulted on the matter.

22. SammyJaxxxx

Society Trader

Final beer of the morning

Southern Grist Deeds of Diligence
    [​IMG]
    Thanks again @r0rschach

Here is my review

4.1/5 rDev -2.8%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A: Pours a hazy golden hue with a slight off white head
    S: The nose is very understated. Lemon. Pineapple and orange. The nose is more of Hops than fruit.
    T: Guava and peach puree some grapefruit and some rindiness. Cantaloupe as it warms. Managed to get sweeter and sourer as it warms
    MF: It has a thickness but drinks clean.
    O: I like this but I want to like it more and can't. While it is enjoyable, there is an element to it that keeps me at arms length

23. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,735) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Obviously making great Pils doesn’t hinder from making a great IPA. Wasn’t that a question a few weeks ago? If you can do delicate surely you can do a much more forgiving style.

24. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (1,560) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good Palm Sunday morning NBS
    I had a good overnight shift and rushed home to attend church with my family. I am finishing my religious experience with this Trappist offering that is new to me...
    [​IMG]
    The review:
    11.2oz bottle marked K18C15 poured into a La Trappe goblet at fridge temp 7% ABV. The beer pours slightly hazy light to medium brown in color with minimal khaki head. The head quickly recedes to a thin island and ring around the glass. The aroma is sweet bread and dark sugar. The taste is more semisweet bread and burnt sugar with a last minute pop of dark fruit before a mildly bitter, mostly dry finish. The mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied with above average carbonation and a tingly feel. Overall, very good, but not on pair with the other Trappist dubbels I've reviewed this week. The aroma and feel are both slightly weaker than the real contenders.

I've been accumulating dubbels for a while and decided to have one a morning for 6 mornings while working 6 nightshifts. This is the only one that is truly new to me. Some others I sampled before I was active here, and a few I'm revisiting to make sure my numbers and impressions are accurate. It's a wonderful style that I wish wasn't so hard to procure here in Southern Indiana.

Cheers all and enjoy the new beer in your glass today!

25. EMH73

EMH73 Poo-Bah (1,683) Sep 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Good morning all. As I said in WBAYDN, my wife is in PSYCHO holiday cleaning mode and I am trying to mellow her out with Hoppin' Frogs DORIS the Destroyer, a double imperial stout aged in whiskey barrels.

4.46/5 rDev +3%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours black with a thin tan head that dissipated to a ring fairly quickly and left several splotches of lacing. Smells of dark roasted malts, dark chocolate, coffee a bit of bourbon barrel and tobacco. Tastes of bittersweet chocolate, coffee, dark roasted malts, toffee, caramel, bourbon, tobacco, oak, vanilla and a hint of char. Full bodied with a creamy mouth feel, light carbonation and a lingering dry finish.
    [​IMG]

26. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (2,837) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

[​IMG]
    A-Pours a hazy dark amber color with a slight head and lacing
    A-Aroma has Whiskey and rye hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with generous Whiskey and rye flavors
    M-A medium bodied decently carbonated beer
    O-A good Whiskey rye beer

#26 VABA, Apr 14, 2019 at 3:18 PM
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019 at 3:23 PM
  27. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Meyvn (1,120) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey

Flamingo dreams nitro
    ...a cloudy cranberry color,funkiest looking beer I've ever had
    ...medium carbonation, just below average body
    ... aroma is raspberries, mixed berries, grain/cracker/malt, earthy fruit
    ...taste is raspberry upfront,middle,and in the finish. Different flavors of berry,mixed fruit,cracker show up but raspberry dominates .it isnt overly sweet and definitely is a bit dry
    ...overall lefthand produces pretty decent,interesting beer and this is no different .If you like fruit beer it's worth a try[​IMG]

28. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,544) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Vicennial III: Father Time from River North...
    [​IMG]
    2017 vintage, barrel aged old ale; 16% abv... Dark caramel colored beer, kinda like the coating on a caramel apple... Solid old ale, with lots of fruits, like dates, figs, and apples, sweetly shellacked with caramel and soaked in booze... Medium-weight body has a little tingle of tart, but is mostly sweetly mellow and juiced with soft, dark fruits like plums and prunes, and aired out a bit with oaky tannins... Reminds me of a caramel apple soaked in prune bourbon... Super-groovy drinking experience...

29. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (8,976) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Trader

She may also add "The Colts to Indianapolis" to the punchline.

Just like NOT asking a Bostonian "What are khakis?" (What they use to staht the cah when it is pahked in Hahvahd Yahd), do NOT say that around a Baltimoron - they remain sensitive all these years later!

30. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,563) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Here's something that Chris Loring of Notch posted on Twitter not too long ago, I found it pretty amusing.

31. VABA

[​IMG]

A-Pours a light amber color with a nice head and lacing
    A-Aroma has slight hop hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a slight hop flavor
    M-A medium bodied very well carbonated beer
    O-A good Pale Ale

32. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,453) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    NBS BIF 9 MYSTERY BEER

Happy Sunday, BAs. Today’s first new beer is a MYSTERY BEER from NBS BIF Nein! My sender, @brutalfarce, sent such wonderful, thoughtful beers that matched my style preferences and wants so thoroughly that I can’t help but wonder if this is also a want.

I’ve already opened great beers from him from that I’d been wanting to try from Suarez Family, New Glarus, The Alchemist, Tree House, Almanac and more. Even the swag he sent met long-voiced desires no other sender had even attempted fulfilling.

Dude really makes a BA feel special, ya know?

Then I see him send literally A DOZEN also super-thoughtful, whale-laden boxes in the “DongFest: The Usurper” BIF, and suddenly I feel a little less special.

I guess he sends great beers to everybody.

Thankfully, I have a ton of new beer to help me work through these unexpected emotions.

My pink-wrapped MYSTERY BEER pours pours a dark, chocolatey brown with a finger-and-a-half of mocha-colored head. The head settles into a lasting cap and leaves thin sheets of lacing.

Big milk chocolate aroma. Right out of the gate, I’m saying milk stout. I’m getting vanilla and mint, too. Maybe some almond biscotti.

The taste follows the nose. Lots of milky, brownie-batter chocolate and caramel with a definite addition that has me thinking almond biscotti. It’s really strong. There’s a hint of berry in there, too, and a slight kiss of alcohol.

Smooth, medium-bodied feel with tight carbonation.

I’m guessing an almond biscotti milk stout or imperial stout. It’s a little big and hot for a traditional milk stout, a little milky for an American imperial stout.

And the reveal....

[​IMG]
    Omnipollo Noa Pecan Mud Cake

Okay. Pecans, almond biscotti. Chocolate and caramel, mud pie. Whatever. Still a great way to kick off the day. Thanks, William! :beers:

33. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,144) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Happy Sunday, NBS crew! Today is the official reveal date for NBS BIF #9, so I will be opening several of the beers @jhavs generously attacked me with a few weeks ago. Got a couple of real beauts coming up shortly. Starting lowish-abv though with this new-to-me ipa.

Mo’rilla - River Roost
    IPA - 6.7% abv
    Canned 3/25/19 (20 days ago)
    Score: 4.2 (-2.8% rDev)

[​IMG]

Review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/44112/282864/?ba=CanConPhilly#review

Synopsis:
    A chameleon of a beer. Out of the fridge I get a lot of dankness, reminiscent of a tangerine blunt the kids I teach are likely smoking in the park right now. As it warms, though, the dankness fades, and is replaced with a more traditional, sweet orange candy and quite bitter earthy hop combo. It’s an impressive feat achieved by the hops they selected here. Love how this looks, smells, and feels too. I prefer the Martian Moon House I reviewed last NBS, but this is still a beast of a hoppy brew. Thanks again Jon!

34. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (5,993) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Trader

Thanks @lordofthewiens for the great start to this weeks NBS. Will be back with a new brew or two today.

Cheers!

35. VABA

[​IMG]
    A-Pours a nice amber color with a nice head and lacing
    M-A medium bodied very well carbonated beer
    O-A decent DIPA with a very strong kick

36. AyatollahGold

AyatollahGold Savant (998) Nov 28, 2016 Indiana
    Trader

Hahah. This thread is great today.

37. Ocalafox

Ocalafox Defender (654) May 17, 2016 Florida
    Society

Fantastic start @lordofthewiens! My wife and I have plans to retire in November 2020, after a combined 71 years at Lockheed Martin. We're really looking forward to it but at the same time are apprehensive about ending employment. I'm quite the NBS virgin but will give it a try. First an attempt at humor...
    Two hunters are out in the woods when one of them collapses. He's not breathing so his friend calls 911. 'My friend is dead! What should I do?" The operator replies, "Calm down sir, first make sure that he's really dead." There's a silence, then a loud bang. Back on the phone, the guy says, "Ok, now what?"
    This is my first KBS, most know that I tend to lean towards IPA's and not porters or stouts but have began what will be a long term relationship with them.
    Look: Thick black coffee look wth minimal head.

Smell: Whee doggies, has a fantastic nose, coffee, chocolate maybe malt.

Taste: I like it, since @DoctorZombies taught me not drink it like an IPA @ 34 degrees right out of the fridge I've come to appreciate the changing flavor profile as it warms.

Feel: Rich and bold with creamy finish.

Overall: I'm enjoying it, awesomely well made beer, and Publix in FL has it for $19.99 in my town.
    Cheers mates and thanks for tolerating me!
    [​IMG]

38. VABA

[​IMG]

A-Pours a light straw color with a slight head and lacing
    M-A light bodied very well carbonated beer
    O-A decent Pale Ale

39. VABA

[​IMG]
    A-Pours a hazy dark amber color with a slight head and lacing
    A-Aroma has slifht malr hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a slight malt flavor
    M-A medium bodied decently carbonated beer
    O-A decent Red ale

40. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (1,869) Mar 7, 2013 Quebec (Canada)
    Trader

Happy NBS everybody!
    It is a lovely day here and a perfect one for my first day back working Sundays.
    Since all I have in my beer fridge right now is monsters, and since I have got to be semi-productive later on, my first beer today will be extremely new one to me and to the world. I will be trying the first bottle of a dark mild I recently brewed.
    This is a style that I have only had a commercial version of once as far as I know. This is the second iteration I have brewed. Without realizing it, I have kind of slipped into mainly brewing English styles since they are nigh-impossible to get here and it has made me realize (even though my beers aren't amazing) how bad a lot of English styles that you can find here are. I don't know what it is, but somewhere in my brain I have this nagging picture of a perfect bitter that I keep trying to get to. This mild is no different but I am much more of a clean slate in that regard to the style as I have very little experience with it. Regardless, I feel good about it when I see things like the mild thread that has been popular for the last couple weeks. Here goes.
    [​IMG]
    It pours crystal clear ruby that looks mahogany in the glass with an inch+ of beige head that settles to a healthy film. Polka dot lacing. It smells toasty, and has lightly sweet with chocolate and a hint of dark fruits. The flavor follows with black tea, toasted malt, a touch of caramel as it warms up, and a bready finish. All told it is pretty dry, with lively carbonation and a light body.
    I am trying to just describe it rather than review it, as that would be difficult. Because of that I figure it is likely worse than it sounds based on my description. But it did come out well. I feel like this iteration gained certain things from the previous one (the addition of Dark Crystal), but it also lots a little of the body I liked in the last version. It is still very good and while I am sure it could/will be improved it never ceases to amaze me that I can make something this beer-like in my closet.
    [​IMG]
    I will hopefully be back with something bigger this evening. In the meantime I hope your all enjoy your Sunday.

Santé!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.