New Beer Sunday (Week 746)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lordofthewiens, Jun 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,238) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

My wife and I have lived in New Mexico for just about a year. We really are enjoying our new state, but I thought I would like to clear up a couple misconceptions that I had prior to our move.

First, spring in New Mexico is beautiful. I thought it would be various shades of brown, but the colors are amazing! Vibrant red, yellow, orange flowers on trees, bushes, cacti. And they last for quite some time. We live on the border of a desert-like area, and I just love to walk the dogs in the early morning, admiring the scenery and watching the sun rise over the mountains. A very peaceful feeling (at least until the dogs spot a bunny).

Second, it can get windy here. We were told about the wind before we moved here, but we found it can be really, really, windy. Steady winds of 25-30 mph, with gusts to 50. Pool furniture tossed around, and a layer of sand on the bottom of our pool. Dust storms that obscure the mountains visible from the back of our house. I’ve come to appreciate those signs on highways that tell me what to do in the event of a dust storm.

If you are looking for a place to live, with friendly people, low cost of living, hot weather without humidity (and it cools off at night), check out New Mexico.

Now, while you contemplate your move, think about drinking a beer. Better yet, think about drinking a new beer. And even better than that, write down your thoughts on this new beer. Discuss its appearance, aroma, taste, mouthfeel, and your overall impression. Feel free to comment on what others have written.

Cheers!

2. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (11,621) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Happy New Odds & Sods Beer Sunday (Week 746)!

I have friends in New Mexico, not far from you, but having visited I still prefer the Midwest. To each their own.

This week's entry will be tying off loose ends from previous weeks' brewery horizontals (same brewery, many different beers), including new arrivals, unearthed backlogs & general odds & sods. I begin with:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/290/315514/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    What an oddball! Wait until you see what the rest of the day holds in store ...

3. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (5,500) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] Poured into a 16 oz tulip glass canned on 4/24/19. Pours a very attractive midnight pitch black with a 2 plus finger sticky mocha head that leaves thick waves of lace after each sip, with excellent retention. 4.5

Smell is cocoa nibs, Oreo, toffee, vanilla, and maybe a hint of coffee. 4.5

Taste follows chocolate, Oreo, vanilla, and maybe some gram cracker. 4.75

Mouthfeel is bigger than average, silky smooth and creamy, a touch dry, and 7.7% ABV it goes down easy and is loaded with flavor. 4.75

Overall this is one dimensional and really amazingly tasty. These guys just continue to dazzle and I love when a great brewery isn’t limited to one style that they excel at. 4.5

4. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (4,686) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

[​IMG]

A-Pours a hazy golden orange color with a slight head and lacing
    A-Aroma has citrus hop, coffee, lactose, oats and vanilla hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a very nicely balanced combination of citrus hop, coffee, lactose, oats sand vanilla flavors
    M-A medium bodied very well carbonated beer
    O-A very well balanced IPA

5. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

New Beer Sunday: German Kolsch

Mornin’ NBSers and a thanks to @lordofthewiens for his start this morning.

Having grown up in one of the western states where high humidity is 20-30% and all one had to do to cool off a bit when the temps hit the 90s was step in the shade, the one thing I still don't like about living on this side of the continent is the high humidity.

Speaking of which, the weather here today is starting out with some sun but is supposed to turn cloudy later in the day. The high should be in the mid 70s with the "real feel" only a few degrees higher. The second of two nice days in a row. (That changes tomorrow with more rain showers expected. :slight_frown:)

This morning’s new beer is the Schlafly Kolsch.

My review, almost finished, can be found here:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/583/25044/?ba=drtth#review

The aromas/flavors are mostly about the herbal hops but which don’t conceal some light biscuity malt with a touch of sweetness. In addition the hops a bit of spicy, grassy and fruity character. I found this nicely drinkable and enjoyable and I could see having more than one. While I thought the herbal bitterness was a bit firmer than I prefer, I’ll be happy to have this one again.

Cheers, all!

#5 drtth, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  6. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,739) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Good morning NBS,

Spring? What spring doc? Glad it’s beautiful over there in New Mexico but here and I doubt it has been better elsewhere in Western Europe most days have been gloomy, cloudy and rainy unlike last year which has been wonderful ... anyway I dislike the heat so I’m not one to complain much about it all...

Not a new brewery to me but a new beer to me at least and not even in the BA database yet:

[​IMG]

Jenlain Grand Cru, from a small village up in northern France, known for its bière de garde, one of the authentic true French style in beer...

Black bottle and label, white lettering. Elegant so far. 330ml at 8%.

Pouring it into the Orval chalice, leaving a very thin white head fading faster than I could grab the glass and start sipping on it.

Beautiful amber color, no retention...

Sweet barley malt aromas on the nose, kinda spicey.

Moderate bitterness on the palate and various fruits leaving a dry bitter finish.

Overall a relatively well balanced Pale Ale, perhaps a bit too boozy on the palate for “only” 8%. Worth a try, but I’m not seeking it actively from now either. I tried.

Since the beer is not on BA, forgive me for being lazy and not uploading it, I’ll give it an overall score of 3,75. Good.

7. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,092) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

That does look like a breakfast beer. Maybe with a cinnamon/apple muffin with a slather of butter.

8. VABA

Society

I just realized that I did not identify the beer, it is a Casita Cerveceria/Siren collaboration called Iced Latte IPA

9. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (3,369) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Transient Bark Lord

Happy Sunday, BAs. Today’s new beer comes to me courtesy of @Joplamp in the Dongfest BIF. I like drinking breakfast stouts in the morning, and am glad I found the time to sneak this one in. It’s one of the better breakfast stouts I’ve tried.

Bark Lord pours ruby-tinted tinted black with half finger of soupy mocha head. The head quickly dissipates into a soupy crown and leaves a little wisp across the top.

Strong cinnamon and some black coffee and vanilla show most in the nose. There’s a hint of maple and booze in there, too. It leaves a strong coffee cake impression.

Much bigger maple shows in the taste, blending well with the strong cinnamon and strong alcohol. It has a clear black coffee backbone and nice roasted malts. Notes of cherry and other pitted dark fruits make an appearance. A nice vanilla addition shows again, too.

It has a viscous, slick, oily feel with just enough background-level fizz.

This is a real treat. The cinnamon is a tad too strong for my personal preferences, but the coffee, maple, vanilla and alcohol burn play beautifully off one another. It really is reminiscent of a high-quality coffee cake. Excellent stuff. Thanks, Jordan. :beers:

10. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,876) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Dong! Dong!

I am a Phillies fan and every time a Phillies player hits a home run at home (Citizens Bank Park) the BIG Liberty Bell beyond the outfield area will swing and ring:

Needless to say but I think it is awesome when this bell rings!!

Which brings us to a new (reformulated) beer of Victory Liberty Bell Ringer DDH DIPA.

This newly released beer:

“This morning we bring you a new beer and some update packaging coming from Victory in Downingtown, PA. Liberty Bell Ringer will be a double dry-hopped double IPA that uses Strata, Simcoe and Centennial hops. The beer will swing in at 8.7%-AbV and you’re looking at the 16oz can.”

https://mybeerbuzz.blogspot.com/2019/02/victory-adding-liberty-bell-ringer-cans.html

On the can it states:

“UNITE FOR HOP FREEDOM

We packed double the dry-hops and threw them down super late in our brewing process to make this DIPA sing with massive tropical, fruity flavor and aroma. And because we can never get enough, we did it twice. Let it ring”

I had the opportunity to recently drink an IPA that featured Strata hops (a new hop – released in 2018) at Conshohocken Brewing and I really enjoyed that beer so I have high hopes for this new beer from Victory.

Served in my Gulden Draak tulip glass:

Appearance:

A golden yellow color with a 2 finger white head.

Aroma:

There are vibrant aromas of tropical fruit and some citrus.

Taste:

The flavor follows the nose with the tropical fruit and citrus flavors but there is more – a very subtle aspect of dank as well. This beer has a moderate bitterness.

Mouthfeel:

Medium bodied with an off-dry finish.

Overall:

I enjoyed drinking this beer, I think it is very good. For my palate the combination of tropical fruit and some citrus and the hint of dank played very nicely together.

Cheers to Victory for this new version of Liberty Bell Ringer!

@rotsaruch @KOP_Beer_OUtlet @RobH @Kadonny @SixpointMikey @ESHBG

[​IMG]

11. VABA

Society

[​IMG]
    Casita Cerveceria - Yours is a Life Worth Living

A-Pours a hazy brownish reddish color with a slight head and lacing
    A-Aroma has citrus hop, piney, floral and herbal hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a nice balanced combination of citrus hop, piney, floral and herbal flavors
    M-A medium bodied decently carbonated beer
    O-A good Red Ale

12. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (2,114) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Cypress naughty
    ..solid black
    ..medium carbonation with an above average body
    Aroma is black coffee, green peppers, spice,roasted malt
    ..taste is black coffee, green peppers, nutmeg and spice, roasted malt. Some heat and nutmeg linger in aftertaste
    ..overall it was above average, very enjoyable and the high abv is hidden really welk[​IMG]where is the nearest shell petrol station

13. VABA

Society

[​IMG]

Casita Cerveceria - Been There Done That

A-Pours a hazy golden orange color with a slight head and lacing
    A-Aroma has generous citrus, tropical and hip hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a very nicely balanced combination of citrus, tropical and hop flavors
    M-A medium bodied well carbonated beer
    O-A very well balanced Imperial IPA

14. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (11,621) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Happy New Odds & Sods Beer Sunday (Week 746), Update #1!

It has been almost like I had a real plan for the day. If you don't think that I did, then I have some real estate, in the form of the Brooklyn Bridge, that I would like to offer for sale. I began with a Pomegranate beer (of some stripe) & followed that with:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13884/47945/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    putting me near the Peak. so I read the Sunday comics in which Sparkle Plenty was in "Dick Tracy" today:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13884/420351/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    8=O! Was I Peaking too early & too soon? I turned to my fruity Flying Dog for answers:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/68/396459/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]&
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/68/412675/?ba=woodychandler#review
    [​IMG]
    but I was assured that I am right on track. On track to go off the rails on this crazy train at some point, more like. In the interim, more … stuff is queued up & ready to go! Holla.

15. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,092) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I bought a case of New Belgium that had six each of Fat Tire, Voodoo Ranger, I think Sunshine Wheat, and Passion Fruit Wheat. The first three were quite good. The passion fruit beer was annoying and acrid and something that I had to endure. It was like an annoying medicine.

16. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,951) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Thanks @lordofthewiens for the great start to this weeks NBS. Will be back later on with a new brew.

Cheers!

17. CurtisD

CurtisD Devotee (407) Aug 16, 2012 Canada (NB)

Thanks to @lordofthewiens for another great start to the week. As they say, I am a “longtime listener, first time caller” and finally have a quiet moment to participate this week. My wife took our two toddlers out for the day and told me to enjoy a few beers and burgers and get a few outside chores done and taken off my to-do list. She’s a keeper! Or maybe I’ve been tricked into being productive....either way, onto the beer:

Mikkeller Creamsicle Friends

[​IMG]

This was generously sent to me by @fiery1 as part of CanBIF Spring 2019.

This is a 7.1% ABV double dry hopped IPA brewed with lactose and orange peel. Aroma is tropical and easily recognizable as citrus. Look is hazy and opaque. So far, so good! Taste mimics the aroma, with very little bitterness. What really stands out to me is the mouthfeel...smooth and creamy, and definitely leaning towards the full side. Not having had a lot of IPAs of the hazy, NEIPA, or lactose sort given where I live, it’s throwing me off a bit. I’m used to an IPA being bitter and thirst quenching, whereas this drinks totally different. But I like it! I’ll give it a solid 3.75 overall and will post a full review when I get the chance.

Cheers everyone....hope you’re having an enjoyable weekend and NBS!

Curtis

18. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,658) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Welcome
    Welcome aboard! Great write up. Hope to see you back regularly.

19. lordofthewiens

Society

Welcome to NBS!
    Hope to see you again.

20. kemoarps

kemoarps Poo-Bah (1,975) Apr 30, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

@Roguer was in town this past week and was kind enough to swing by and we had a grand old time, cracking into several bottles of deliciousness (including the Chocolate Rain that @2beerdogs gave me when I was down in Cali a couple of months back. Hot damn if that's not some incredible stuff [as was pretty much everything we tried!]. Thanks Derek! And while it tastes like a high ABV stout, I would not have guessed that it was closing in on 20%![!!!]). Figuring to spread the joy and knowing it would be foolish to try and tackle the pile between just the two of us I invited a couple of friends over from work to join in. I don't think they really knew what they were getting into when they came over, ha. All in all it was a great time and I think (hope) everyone involved enjoyed themselves: I know I sure did.
    [​IMG]

One of said work buddies left a couple of cans of Phaser, a murker from Ecliptic behind. I'd never had it so I figured it would make for a good NBS entry.

The pour yielded the expected turbid pale yellow/orange. A moderate at best pour gave me about two fingers of clean white foam that seemed reluctant to yield their place atop the liquid. Patchy but persistent lacing.

Nose is delightful with lush tropical fruits and some soft citrus. Mango was my main manifestation, but there was plenty of pineapple and papaya playing along as well.

Flavour falls in line with the playbook for the style: soft intimations towards those same characteristics as I describe on the tongue, but this one kind of pulls up a little short of the full followthrough here. I appreciate that it does not forget it roots, as it drifts back towards bitter green citric hops.

Body is medium thick and kind of... slurry and buzzy with carbonation. Long dull bitter finish and a decent hop burn that actually works reasonably well here.
    I'm not the biggest fan of the style, but feel this one is well put together and would gladly drink it if I were to come across it, though I probably wouldn't prioritize it.

[​IMG]

Cheers y'all!!

21. lordofthewiens

Society

When @DoctorZombies and his lovely wife visited us, I gave him some New Mexico beers to try. He seemed to really enjoy Germophile, a Berliner-style weissbier brewed by Rowley Farmhouse Ales out of Santa Fe. I had not ever tried any of their beers, so I figured this would be a good time to try one.
    The beer is a pale gold color, a little hazy. There was no head and no lace.
    The aroma is fresh, outdoorsy. Wheat, tart fruit, a hint of spice.
    Wheat, tart green apple, a tough of lemon in the taste.
    Tart, crisp, and refreshing.
    A great beer for these hot New Mexico days.

[​IMG]

22. HoppingMadMonk

Society Trader

Cypress brewing nice
    ..solid jet black
    ..medium light carbonation with an above average body. Has a slight creamy feel
    ..aroma is espresso, figs, dark fruit,cinnamon, roasted malt and oddly a little like fruit cake
    ..taste is very similar to aroma with some mild sweetness balanced by a bit of coffee bitterness. Plenty of dark fruit,spice,and again fruitcake. High abv is hidden extremely well
    ..overall I guess being nice is better than naughty as I liked this one better than its counterpart. Will look for this next holiday season [​IMG]pnc bank locations hours of operation

23. EMH73

EMH73 Poo-Bah (2,318) Sep 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Made from Hatch | Revelry Brewing Co. Courtesy of @Dragginballs76. Cheers!
    4.08/5 rDev +2.3%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a slightly cloudy straw color with a two inch fluffy white head that settles to a ring and left little lacing. Smells of bread dough, corn, lime and peppers. Tastes of lime, lime zest, bread, corn, wheat, mild hot peppers, floral and grassy notes. Light bodied, medium carbonation, dry and crisp.
    [​IMG]

24. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (13,047) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Wells Banana Bread, 5.2% ABV. Pours pale orange with three fingers of white head. Nose is banana and malt, taste follows, slightly sweet, fain bitterness. Decent mouthfeel, overall excellent.

4.04/5 rDev +14.1%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

[​IMG]

25. Jimmy_Kneecaps

Jimmy_Kneecaps Aspirant (269) Sep 19, 2017 Tennessee
    Trader

This is a beer I have coveted since I joined this site. I know that expectations almost never match up with reality, especially when you’ve had years to stew on the idea of something, but I’m super excited about this beer. Not only because I’ve loved everything I’ve tried from this brewery but also because this IPA is single hopped with citra, my favorite hop. Let’s get on to it.

The beer is King Sue from Toppling Goliath

Appearance is everything you want from this type of murkbomb. Golden neon yellowish orange with zero sediment. About a finger and a half of stark bone white head which dissipated to spotty islands and a thin ring around the rim of the glass. Extremely ripe fruits, but not overripe, fruits of pineapple, mango, and grapefruit litter the aroma. A soft undertone of pine plays in the background and a bit of dankness as well. Taste follows the nose exactly. The fruits dominate the foreground, low bitterness and a little pine come in next, then give way to a slightly dank note, then the fruits come back to finish it off. One note here, the aroma is YUUUUGE, like across the room huge, and while the flavors are very big and bold, they don’t quite match up to the nose in terms of.... largeness? This is not to detract from the taste, just to convey how powerful the aroma is. They killed the mouthfeel here, soft and pillowy, almost marshmellow-like. It doesn’t sacrifice adequate carbonation for the soft mouthfeel either. Overall this beer is fantastic and I believe they did great justice to the citra hop and that this beer is world class. This is an instance where expectation somewhat lived up to reality. Roughly 4.5

26. Reef

Reef Savant (903) Dec 2, 2016 South Carolina
    Society

I'm enjoying a quiet weekend punctuated by thunderstorms. I hope we never have to move, but our neighborhood is the focus of a lot of development, and I can't say what it will be like in ten years.
    For today I am trying a Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Hell from Würzburger Hofbräu.
    [​IMG]
    Julius Echter was the Prince-Bishop of 16th Century Würzburg, refounded its university, and persecuted witches and Protestants.
    [​IMG]
    This bottle had a best by date of July 2019, so it had some age on it. The appearance is a slightly hazy amber with a rich white head. There is a prominent clove and banana aroma. The flavors are clove, banana, bread, and some slight citrus. Smooth and spicy dry finish.
    The Würzburger Hofbräu 500 ml bottles go for $4.50, which I think is a good deal. I am adding this to the list when I am looking for a German Hefeweizen.

27. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,659) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Good afternoon NBS friends and family! I've had a very busy weekend getting caught up from my trip to the PNW. @kemoarps no, I don't think your friends quite knew what they were getting into haha. Then again, I don't quite remember that FW XVIII being poured (or my Uber ride to the ferry), so I perhaps bit off a bit more than I could chew, as well. :wink:

I have no desire to break into any of the wonderful brews Kestrel sent back with me - not until I can share them. I did, however, bring back a couple of highly anticipated beers (for me) at a market, and I'll be getting to them shortly. First up, however, is a breakfast stout (poured at 2 pm, so .... again, I'm running late haha).

[​IMG]
    Mikerphone Smells Like Bean Spirit

8% ABV, Sumatra Mandheling coffee, and Vermont maple syrup. Yes, please!

That head may look impressive (!), but it was fizzy, and predictably did not last long. That would turn out to be the only disappointing aspect of this beer, however.

Maple absolutely leaps from the glass, really putting any other aromas well into the background. The palate is similarly sweet, with maple syrup and brown sugar dominating - and in a good way. Lip-smackingly good, you might say (although that's mostly from all the damn sugar).

The coffee is rich and deep (typical of Sumatra, in retrospect), and imparts very little bitterness to the brew. This is not FBS, not MBCP. It's more of a dessert stout, really, than a breakfast stout - and that works for me.

I'm very, very pleased with this brew, even if the coffee is a bit in the background.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/39889/193888/?ba=Roguer#review
    4.19 / +0.5%

Cheers!

28. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

New Beer Sunday; American Pale Ale (APA)

Afternoon NBSers with a heads up for fans of APAs.

This afternoon’s new beer is the Maine Brewing APA called "a tiny beautiful something."

My review, still in progress until the beer is finished, can be found here:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/20681/113339/?ba=drtth#review

This is a single hop beer that is filled with aromas/flavors of orange and orange zest. There’s also a peek at some pear and stone fruit while the sweetness lasts. The transition from the fruity flavors to the firm solid hop bitterness happens fairly quickly and the finish is dry, firmly bitter, and slow to fade away. Enjoyable, drinkable and is almost like having two beers in the same sip. Looking forward to having it again. Definitely recommended.

Cheers, all!

29. Tucquan

Tucquan Poo-Bah (3,139) Oct 11, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Just back from a 2-week business trip to Portland, OR, where I visited the remarkable pFriem Family Brewers in Hood River, OR; not once or twice, but thrice. Remarkable lager brewers and I reviewed the ones I had there, but since this is New Beer Sunday, I had to go with a newbie for me. It is:

Wicked Weed - Prevalence, a 7.2% American Wild Ale

[​IMG]
    A - Somewhat hazy golden-ruby with a short head and no lace
    S - Brett funk, light citrus and wine barrel
    T - Brett, elderberry, very mild juniper and mild wine barrel. Mildly sour. Mainly fruit and Brett funk.
    M - Light-medium body and light carbonation. Quite dry.
    O - A enjoyable, easy-drinkin' beer for this summer day. I'm a fan of the elderberry flavor so this really works for me.

#29 Tucquan, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  30. HoppingMadMonk

Society Trader

Northcoast berliner weisse
    ...light cranberry color
    ...light body with about medium carbonation. Carbonation doesnt hold on too long adding to a thin body
    ...aroma is tart cherry upfront and way in the background is some yeast,malt.
    ..taste follows the nose, very dry with barely a touch of sweetness
    ..overall its pleasant, almost the exact opposite of a lambic in regards to sweetness,body, and yeast [​IMG]

31. strohme2

strohme2 Meyvn (1,043) Nov 3, 2007 Michigan
    Trader

Just got home from my 2 boys birthday party and you can say I need a couple (new) beers. It was at Chuck E. Cheese and not the only birthday party so there were plenty of kids running around. I did set the high score at the basketball shoot thing for the day, so take that!

This beer is from the super generous @Dragginballs76. I think he knows my love of all things Burial so I’m pretty pumped to get into it. Bearded Iris collaborated on this one, another favorite brewery of mine.

[​IMG]

Smudgy date, but I can see a 19 at the end. Poured into proper glassware.

Pours a cloudy and murky orange with a
    finger of off white head. Thick lacing on entire glass.
    Nose of soft lemon meringue, citrus, pineapple. All soft aromas.
    Taste follows. Huge ripe orange initial hit, pineapple, mango, honey cake, rotting tropical fruit( in a good way), guava, little bitterness.
    Thick body and creamy mouthfeel.
    Overall, this beer is mostly on the sweet side with complimentary bitterness. The smooth mouthfeel makes for an easy drinking double. Well done by collaboration.
    4.26 rDev +4.2%

32. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,640) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Hey What's going on?!

New beer that's what of course!

It's been a pretty full weekend for our hero. Bit of a party last night so lots of left over brewskies for our hero! Not to mention some tasty nibbles as well to partake. Small rain has hit, but it's refreshing and a good excuse to lay low back home and kick the feet up.

Have a few random brews, some quite out there from some recent trips, and some more simply close to home.

Always up for new beers! I've been slowed down a bit because of a major sinus infection which started clearing up about a week ago. I had my sense of smell completely knocked out it was crazy. Still I am better but boy this thing is being stubborn.

With that said it's time for a new brew for our hero.

Brew Free! or Die Blood Orange IPA | 21st Amendment Brewery

Poured from the can into a Spiegelau IPA glass.

Clear bodied mostly, with a pale amber color appearance somewhere between orange and yellow lemon fruit color. Classic simple egg white head, real nice retention and classic size of three to four fingers. Pill like lacing and some good staying power. Looks like a very nice classic West coast IPA.

Very nice aroma. Definitely grabbing much of the blood orange quality, with a good fruit citrus that isn't pithy, but is also adding some real nice candy like hop oils and zesty classic fruit bitterness. It'a bit one dimensional, but it's very dialed in wonderfully and nice with good balance of mixed fruit and hop scents of zest bitterness and citrus sweetness.

Palate is quite surprising. A simple malt backbone sticks out to simply let the hops and fruit quality play forward. Great simple juiced orange quality, with excellent almost mineral zesty like flavors. Excellent hop bitterness on the finish to match and balance out, and even some matching biscuit cookie sweetness of malt to add more joy in the mix. Breaded pastry and sweet orange, with a candy like zest feeling and tasting nearly like penny store candy, but with a more oily finish and bitterness to match.

Very surprised by this one, real nice fruit contrast on old school West coast IPA style.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25 | BA Generated Score : 4.23

Cheers!

33. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois

Hello fellow NBSrs!

It’s been a long week and am glad it’s finally coming to an end. Today’s new to me beer was provided by the ever so generous @Dragginballs76 ! Mike, many thanks as I truly enjoyed this beer!

This beer is a sour ale called Double Vanilla Peachy Dream by Barrel Culture out of NC.

Let me preface the pics by saying this isn’t for the faint of heart. It’s for folks who like their sours to be sour. Like sinus clearing sour and I enjoyed every sip of it. Mega tart and mega peach. It definitely hit the spot today.

Cheers all!

34. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (3,580) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

[​IMG]

Oude Geuze Cuvée Armand & Gaston Honing, a Geuze blended with Lambic from 7 different barrels and with spring honey added, by Belgian brewery 3Fonteinen (5% ABV).

Pours a slightly cloudy deep golden amber, not unlike honey, coloration with a small, foamy head. Smells of light biscuity malt, cheesy/musty funk and lighter fruity yeast esters and a noticeable honey sweetness, with just a hint of earthy oak as well.

Taste is a great balance of medium/strong cheesy/musty funk accompanied by a medium tartness and acidity and a light honey sweetness, as well as notes of green apple and white grape, lighter citrus notes and just a hint of sulphur and oak. Finishes with a medium tartness and acidity, as well as some green apple and honey lingering in the aftertaste. Soft mouthfeel with a medium body and light/medium carbonation.

An excellent Geuze with a complex balance of different flavors that all harmonize rather well. The Honey is particularly well-integrated, lending a light sweetness to this that kind of smoothes out tartness and acidity a little, while not being too overbearing at all. I probably still prefer it without the honey though, because while it adds an interesting element to this, it smoothes it out a little too much for my personal taste.

35. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,991) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

My favorite professor, Dr. Parotti, grew up in Silver City, N.M., and insisted the desert's the only place to live. Along with everything you point out, he said living in a land with such wide open spaces and a big sky properly put you in your place, as in we are insigificant when compared to the vastness of the universe. This is compared to living in East Texas (Deep South), where the tall trees close in on you and have a way of making you insular.

Or maybe he was a bit too philosophical about it all. :stuck_out_tongue: Either way, it's good to hear how well y'all have adjusted and found the beauty of desert living.

Hope all you NBSers are having a good Sunday!

36. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,659) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Quickly shifting gears from a big, sweet imperial stout, to a light, tart Gose, courtesy of Hi-Wire.

[​IMG]

Bottom line up front: this is a nice and refreshing Gose, but the flavors are a little indistinct, and the mouthfeel is a touch too silky and oily. A nice balance of tartness and musty funk, with a kiss of salt. It's quite enjoyable, but I wouldn't favor it over Westbrook.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/31724/220641/?ba=Roguer#review
    3.66 / -2.7%

Cheers!

37. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Savant (982) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Trader

Happy Sunday NBS players. A nice, warm, and breezy summer day here on the island. Watching the Mets stomp out the god damn rockies and pretty much doing nothing after a busy day in the city. I've got a ton of new beers on hand but we'll see just how many I actually get to.

My first new beer is actually my last beer from @Roguer and his NBS BIF #nine boxes. It is of course the mystery beer and thus I have no idea on the specs. Here we go.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A black oily color on the pour with a fast off-white head. The nose is decently floral with malt and spices. I seem to be getting a berry note as well. My initial guess would be some sort of fruited stout/porter. The drinking hits with lots of thick malt upfront, with a silky smooth flow, and tangy finish. Additional flavor tones of chocolate, coffee, vanilla, cinnamon, lactose, tannin, and oak. The more I consume the more I begin feel how very well balanced the brew is and all the different flavors meld right together. Full bodied and while I can tell its a high abv, I'm guessing +10%, but it hides so well and drinks so easily. Thick, but lush and silky as well. A slight decadent feel but it's not terribly sweet.

Overall, this is delicious and right up my alley. My final guess is some sort of adjunct imperial stout. I don't think its barrel aged but I could be wrong. I would put it in the low 4's to a possible 4.5.
    Reveal:
    Early Bird Special, imperial stout w/ vanilla, cinnamon, & coffee, from Aardwolf Brewing. Checks in at 9.1% abv and no apparent bottle date.
    [​IMG]
    Sorry Andrew, I actually never removed the foil till today for fear of peaking. And when I did I kind of ripped off the under mystery label/directions.
    [​IMG]

38. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,901) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

This is my second time visiting True Anomaly Brewing in Houston. They do a mix of Belgian styles, Wild Ale/Sours, and a few IPA's thrown in for good measure. They are now starting to release their wood foeder beers, and I of coarse tried some today.

First up is Moonbow, 7% ABV. This is a Wild Ale with peaches. Aged for three months in wood foeders. Pours a bright hazed yellow color. A one finger white head. Tons of fresh fruits in the nose and flavor. Almost like peach skins. Finishes with a tart and lightly acidic bite. Medium body and good carbonation. Really refreshing and something that hits the spot on these humid Houston afternoons. Score is an even 4. Full review below:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/55586/420934/?ba=champ103#review
    [​IMG]

Next is Oliver Wilder. 7.9% ABV. This is a rye Saison with Brett. Aged for four months in wood foeders. Pours with a slight haze. A golden/yellow color, with the requisite one finger white head. Funky and musty up front. Then that rye takes over, and mixed with the yeast becomes very spicy and peppery. Baked bread with light citrus and fruity esters. Well carbonated, just a touch soapy. At almost 8% ABV this a very easy drinker. Overall score is 4.06. Full review below:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/55586/420932/?ba=champ103#review
    [​IMG]

The last one I had is called Trappist-1. 5.3% ABV. This is a simple Belgian Pale Ale. Pours a clear golden/yellow color. Again, a one finger white head and lace. Cracker and grainy malts. A touch of phenols, peppery spice, and fruit esters. The nose is just a bit muted, but the flavor is more robust. Very effervescent and finishes dry. Yep, another offering I would like to have again when visiting the brewery. Overall score is 3.94. Review below:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/55586/421281/?ba=champ103#review
    [​IMG]

39. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,486) Mar 7, 2013 Canada (QC)
    Society Trader

Happy NBS everyone!
    So I am finally back after missing one week to being busy, one to family visiting and one to being sick (which I assume was caused by the other two weeks). I missed you all and I missed rambling about my beer.

Life's good here. It has finally been nice for more than two days in a row, it feels summery, I have my balcony beer garden totally set up and ready for hanging out and today might as well be the ribbon-cutting ceremony as far as I am concerned. Now begins my tireless battle against fucking squirrels I suppose.... To top it all off, I didn't have to work today (F1 weekend, lots of unsavory tourists, but they're all at the race) so I can hang out here.
    My first beer today is a new one to stores and to me. It is an IPA that I found at the corner store near my house that has finally started getting a pretty good beer selection. It has a few potential red flags (IPA with a colorful label, new, stamping technology but no date, not super clear on the brewery, bought from a convenience store, etc.) however, lately I've had good enough luck and I feel like the industry has definitely matured a little so here's hopin'.
    [​IMG]
    I should heed my judgement on red flags...

It pours relatively clear, bright orange with some particulate gunk at the end of the pour. Pretty ugly and I don't even really mind yeast. There is a nice, big moussey white head that leaves decent lacing.

The aroma is bright, clean orange and toasty malt sweetness. Orange rind, herby, slightly oxidized bitterness is the brunt of the flavor. As I drink on it this bitterness becomes progressively more medicinal. At the same time I feel like the age becomes less noticeable in the flavor and more noticeable in the aroma. It is as drinkable as could be expected, fairly dry with moderate carbonation.

It is not quite a drainpour, but is definitely missing something to push it to being fully enjoyable. Ordinarily I would be more gentle on my rating for an oxidation/age issue but since this beer is brewed by big craft brewery who puts in cans, takes care of the shipping and handling and has the capacity to date their cans but chooses not to I kind of feel like they've brought it on themselves.

Thanks to some quick research I now know that this is a group of three breweries; two of which I don't like at all having tried their beers a few times before and one of which I have never had before. They got together to pool resources and release beers that they usually only offer on tap. I imagine it's a total coincidence that these beers are all IPA-esque and have cans that look like NEIPAs. Right???? But I digress, this one was not great. But I get the feeling it would be not bad at all fresher or on tap. If I ever physically see it delivered to a place I Will likely give it another shot.

I'll be back later hopefully with something else new and different from the styles I usually drink.

Santé!

40. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,614) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Good afternoon NBS and thanks @lordofthewiens for the start today.
    Just back home from 4 days in Pittsburgh, First time there and not our last. Fun city.
    The offering is from Trillium, the Lineage Rye a gift that I have delayed opening and I think it was a good call to wait. There is a nice fruit and mineral magic at this point. Got to get after that lawn now.
    Cheers all

Lineage Rye

Trillium Brewing Company
    Belgian Saison / 6.90% ABV

4.16/5 rDev 0% | Score: 4.16
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle dated 11/22/17 into the test glass
    A - Color of late season sunflower, excellent clarity, solid carbonation feeds a rocky white cap. During the experience the froth dissipates and a ring of truth circles the glass interior.
    S - Dusty with chalk, citrus reduction, white pepper, notes of honey, and a very herbal element and apricot.
    T - Complicated to pull apart, spice from the Rye barrel, fruity pebbles in there, with apricot and green apple, nice mineral component like chalky French White . A very delicate grain component.
    M - Dry, really dry. Semi tart start then a fruity wave, then the ashen dryness take over. Very nict to have the tart and dry play well
    O - Glad to have waited on this one, Very delicate offering at this stage, Excellent stone fruit quality, and that wonderful dry finish keeps this offering inside the rails.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.